Santa banned from school because of Muslims

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#351 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

I don't know why people think that when they immigrate to a new country they have the right to complain about their customs. There was an incident in Quebec that my teacher told me of. A Muslim woman was taking a french speaking class since she had just recently immigrated, in the class it was expected by the teacher that he be able to see the person's mouth who was talking to see if they were speaking with proper form (or whatever). The Muslim womam was wearing a burka and refused to remove it, even after numerous requests from the teacher. The teacher could not see her mouth, so he failed her for that part of the class. I am pretty sure that she took him to court, but I am not sure of the outcome.taylor888
Figure out what the outcome was and get back to us! :)

Cheesehead9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#352 Cheesehead9099
Member since 2008 • 2849 Posts

I don't know why people think that when they immigrate to a new country they have the right to complain about their customs. There was an incident in Quebec that my teacher told me of. A Muslim woman was taking a french speaking class since she had just recently immigrated, in the class it was expected by the teacher that he be able to see the person's mouth who was talking to see if they were speaking with proper form (or whatever). The Muslim womam was wearing a burka and refused to remove it, even after numerous requests from the teacher. The teacher could not see her mouth, so he failed her for that part of the class. I am pretty sure that she took him to court, but I am not sure of the outcome.

taylor888
This is true, but you have to respect the person's religious beliefs. If they want to wear it, then hell let em wear it. But she shouldn't have taken him to court. That's just dumb. The guy can't just give her a free pass because of her religious headdress, now can he?
dromiceiomimus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#353 dromiceiomimus
Member since 2010 • 113 Posts
This is true, but you have to respect the person's religious beliefs.Cheesehead9099
Why?
Solid_Tango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#354 Solid_Tango
Member since 2009 • 8609 Posts

I don't know why people think that when they immigrate to a new country they have the right to complain about their customs. There was an incident in Quebec that my teacher told me of. A Muslim woman was taking a french speaking class since she had just recently immigrated, in the class it was expected by the teacher that he be able to see the person's mouth who was talking to see if they were speaking with proper form (or whatever). The Muslim womam was wearing a burka and refused to remove it, even after numerous requests from the teacher. The teacher could not see her mouth, so he failed her for that part of the class. I am pretty sure that she took him to court, but I am not sure of the outcome.

taylor888
Darn... they should stay in their countries if they are not willing to change and adapt to the society they live in.
jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#355 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts
[QUOTE="rockinplanes"]The one at fault is the administrator. Why did he even give a ***?

Point. Coming soon in UK papers: US exchange student hypothermiates entire class of Brit pupils with "It's a bit stuffy in here" complaint. Or not.
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#356 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts
Of course it's a ****ing teaching. When God tells you he wants you to tax the **** out of unbelievers, it's a teaching. Simple as that.dromiceiomimus
God didn't tell anyone to do anything. Muhammad commanded his army to move only as far as the roman border, and that if they encounter anyone on the way who isn't one of them (the tribes who turned on them) that they should allow them to re-join or make them pay a tribute. Of course you just picked out the last part and made it appear as if that were a teaching for all non-muslims to be subjugated, which it isn't at all. I mean, obviously. :?
dromiceiomimus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#357 dromiceiomimus
[QUOTE="dromiceiomimus"]Of course it's a ****ing teaching. When God tells you he wants you to tax the **** out of unbelievers, it's a teaching. Simple as that.Ninja-Hippo
God didn't tell anyone to do anything. Muhammad commanded his army to move only as far as the roman border, and that if they encounter anyone on the way who isn't one of them (the tribes who turned on them) that they should allow them to re-join or make them pay a tribute. Of course you just picked out the last part and made it appear as if that were a teaching for all non-muslims to be subjugated, which it isn't at all. I mean, obviously. :?

And your evidence that the verse only applied to its immediate historical surroundings is...?
Cheesehead9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#358 Cheesehead9099
Member since 2008 • 2849 Posts
[QUOTE="Cheesehead9099"]This is true, but you have to respect the person's religious beliefs.dromiceiomimus
Why?

Because you shouldn't be a jackass?
chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#359 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts

[QUOTE="taylor888"]I don't know why people think that when they immigrate to a new country they have the right to complain about their customs. There was an incident in Quebec that my teacher told me of. A Muslim woman was taking a french speaking class since she had just recently immigrated, in the class it was expected by the teacher that he be able to see the person's mouth who was talking to see if they were speaking with proper form (or whatever). The Muslim womam was wearing a burka and refused to remove it, even after numerous requests from the teacher. The teacher could not see her mouth, so he failed her for that part of the class. I am pretty sure that she took him to court, but I am not sure of the outcome.Hexagon_777

Figure out what the outcome was and get back to us! :)

The government won. Basically, the law states that if one cannot be properly identified by facial recognition, how are you supposed to know who the person is? On those grounds, Quebec banned face coverings on the grounds that identification becomes compromised.

http://www.torontosun.com/news/columnists/peter_worthington/2010/03/29/13400986.html

http://www.torontosun.com/news/canada/2010/07/28/14850246.html

dromiceiomimus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#360 dromiceiomimus
[QUOTE="dromiceiomimus"][QUOTE="Cheesehead9099"]This is true, but you have to respect the person's religious beliefs.Cheesehead9099
Why?

*sigh* You continue to disappoint. Why should I respect Muslims' beliefs, when they believe I deserve an eternity of being roasted alive in hell just for not being one of them? Perhaps you have the requisite quantities of self-hatred to respect such ideas, but I don't.
Solid_Tango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#361 Solid_Tango
Member since 2009 • 8609 Posts
[QUOTE="Cheesehead9099"][QUOTE="dromiceiomimus"]Why?dromiceiomimus

*sigh* You continue to disappoint. Why should I respect Muslims' beliefs, when they believe I deserve an eternity of being roasted alive in hell just for not being one of them? Perhaps you have the requisite quantities of self-hatred to respect such ideas, but I don't.

The better question is; why should i respect them when they do not respect me? :s
Silenthps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#362 Silenthps
Member since 2006 • 7302 Posts
shouldn't they be more worried about the fact that its in St. Peter? I mean St. Peter is much more relevant to Christianity than santa claus ever was. They might as well move out of the city.
Rhazakna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#363 Rhazakna
Member since 2004 • 11022 Posts
[QUOTE="dromiceiomimus"][QUOTE="Cheesehead9099"]This is true, but you have to respect the person's religious beliefs.Cheesehead9099
Why?

Are all religious beliefs automatically deserving of respect simply because people believe them and hold them dear?
bachilders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#364 bachilders
Member since 2005 • 1430 Posts

[QUOTE="Cheesehead9099"][QUOTE="dromiceiomimus"]Why?Rhazakna

Are all religious beliefs automatically deserving of respect simply because people believe them and hold them dear?

Beliefs don't deserve respect, they just are, people deserve respect.

dromiceiomimus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#365 dromiceiomimus

[QUOTE="Rhazakna"][QUOTE="Cheesehead9099"] Because you shouldn't be a jackass?bachilders

Why?
Rhazakna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#366 Rhazakna

[QUOTE="Rhazakna"][QUOTE="Cheesehead9099"] Because you shouldn't be a jackass?bachilders

Respect is earned. Automatically respecting everyone makes the whole concept of "respect" useless.

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#367 Ninja-Hippo

[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"][QUOTE="dromiceiomimus"]Of course it's a ****ing teaching. When God tells you he wants you to tax the **** out of unbelievers, it's a teaching. Simple as that.dromiceiomimus

And your evidence that the verse only applied to its immediate historical surroundings is...?

That it's immediate historical surroundings are before and after it? :? It's literally taken straight out of the story. It's the very definition of cherry picking. At zero point at all is that a teaching.

EDIT: and seriously, you know you've got it wrong when a dude who is anti-religious is having to explain to you the contents of a holy book. :P

Pixel-Pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#368 Pixel-Pirate
Member since 2009 • 10771 Posts

[QUOTE="Pixel-Pirate"]

[QUOTE="dromiceiomimus"]Hah - alright, so I'm fanatically opposed to misogyny and homophobia and antisemitism and slavery. Is that bad? I think it's something to be proud of.dromiceiomimus

I like when people try to act like the only reason they're intolerant of Islam is because they're so tolerant of other differences in life.

Intolerance is intolerance.

Do you have a better explanation? What evidence do you have that I'm lying about my motives?

Lack of knowledge on the subject or just a flat out dislike for muslims because of how a small minority acts.

dromiceiomimus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#369 dromiceiomimus

[QUOTE="dromiceiomimus"][QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"] God didn't tell anyone to do anything. Muhammad commanded his army to move only as far as the roman border, and that if they encounter anyone on the way who isn't one of them (the tribes who turned on them) that they should allow them to re-join or make them pay a tribute. Of course you just picked out the last part and made it appear as if that were a teaching for all non-muslims to be subjugated, which it isn't at all. I mean, obviously. :? Ninja-Hippo

That it's immediate historical surroundings are before and after it? :? It's literally taken straight out of the story. It's the very definition of cherry picking. At zero point at all is that a teaching.

EDIT: and seriously, you know you've got it wrong when a dude who is anti-religious is having to explain to you the contents of a holy book. :P

Oh, please. Just because there is a historical context doesn't mean it applies only to that context. That's like saying that the Ten Commandments only apply to people stood on Mount Sinai. You'll have to do a lot better than that, especially when a Hadith states that the Jizya will be abolished only at the time of the Second Coming.
dromiceiomimus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#370 dromiceiomimus

[QUOTE="dromiceiomimus"][QUOTE="Pixel-Pirate"]

I like when people try to act like the only reason they're intolerant of Islam is because they're so tolerant of other differences in life.

Intolerance is intolerance.

Pixel-Pirate

Do you have a better explanation? What evidence do you have that I'm lying about my motives?

Lack of knowledge on the subject or just a flat out dislike for muslims because of how a small minority acts.

And what evidence do you have that that is the case, rather than what I claim to be the reason?
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#371 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

You're right -- the school should have a provision for kids whose parents don't want them exposed to Santa-related activities, for whatever reason, to take the day off... the thing that pisses me off the most is people coming to North America in droves from other realms and then having the gall to whine about certain aspects of our culture that they don't like... then if their minority needs aren't accommodated at every turn, they whine about intolerance and discrimination when they themselves are often the first people to be intolerant and discriminatory to begin with... it's ********67gt500

I don't see the problem. If there're gonna come here and live as Americans, then shouldn't they have the right to complain about **** that they don't like, just the same as any other American?

Or to put it another way, would it be more tolerable if it was a native-born citizen who was making the same complaint? Is the problem that it's an immigrant who's making the complaint, or is the problem that the complaint is just stupid?

HaloReachGOTY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#372 HaloReachGOTY
Member since 2010 • 786 Posts

i had enough of this ****. North America needs to stop with this ****. This is our country god damnit. stop bending backwards for these....dfgsdfdfg

dromiceiomimus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#373 dromiceiomimus
Or to put it another way, would it be more tolerable if it was a native-born citizen who was making the same complaint? Is the problem that it's an immigrant who's making the complaint, or is the problem that the complaint is just stupid?MrGeezer
Well, both; if you have stupid sensibilities and then move to a country where they'll be violated, you really have no basis on which to whine.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#374 MrGeezer

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]Or to put it another way, would it be more tolerable if it was a native-born citizen who was making the same complaint? Is the problem that it's an immigrant who's making the complaint, or is the problem that the complaint is just stupid?dromiceiomimus
Well, both; if you have stupid sensibilities and then move to a country where they'll be violated, you really have no basis on which to whine.

Again, ANYONE could wake up tomorrow and decide that they don't want their kids being exposed to Santa claus. If a dude who was born and raised in Minnesota decides he doesn't want his kid participating in Santa based activities, does HE have more of a right to complain than the immigrant?

HaloReachGOTY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#375 HaloReachGOTY
Member since 2010 • 786 Posts

[QUOTE="dromiceiomimus"][QUOTE="MrGeezer"]Or to put it another way, would it be more tolerable if it was a native-born citizen who was making the same complaint? Is the problem that it's an immigrant who's making the complaint, or is the problem that the complaint is just stupid?MrGeezer

Again, ANYONE could wake up tomorrow and decide that they don't want their kids being exposed to Santa claus. If a dude who was born and raised in Minnesota decides he doesn't want his kid participating in Santa based activities, does HE have more of a right to complain than the immigrant?

if its for religious reasons then no. if he thinks the santa is a perv then ya

dromiceiomimus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#376 dromiceiomimus

[QUOTE="dromiceiomimus"][QUOTE="MrGeezer"]Or to put it another way, would it be more tolerable if it was a native-born citizen who was making the same complaint? Is the problem that it's an immigrant who's making the complaint, or is the problem that the complaint is just stupid?MrGeezer

Marginally; it's not as if he consciously chose to live in a culture in which Santa-based activities are prevalent. Of course, it's still a stupid thing to do.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#377 MrGeezer

f its for religious reasons then no. if he thinks the santa is a perv then ya

HaloReachGOTY

Then...once you establish that the validity of the complaint is due to the NATURE of the complaint, then don't make it an issue of where the person came from.

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#378 Ninja-Hippo
Oh, please. Just because there is a historical context doesn't mean it applies only to that context. That's like saying that the Ten Commandments only apply to people stood on Mount Sinai. You'll have to do a lot better than that, especially when a Hadith states that the Jizya will be abolished only at the time of the Second Coming.dromiceiomimus
If you genuinely believe that when Muhammad told his army to march to the border of the roman empire and advised them that any traitors they encounter on the way should be allowed to re-join or pay a tax is the same thing as a teaching instructing that all non-muslim people be subjugated then that's your choice. I see no point in arguing it. I've told you what the actual correct story is rather than the cherry-picked verse that anti-muslim websites love to spread around, and to me it's simple common sense what that verse is all about.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#379 MrGeezer

Marginally; it's not as if he consciously chose to live in a culture in which Santa-based activities are prevalent. Of course, it's still a stupid thing to do.dromiceiomimus

And if Santa Claus is a big enough problem for him, then there's nothing stopping him from getting the **** out of the country. Just like there was nothing stopping the immigrant from getting the **** out of HIS country.

But that's a pretty ridiculous standard when it comes to complaints, isn't it? A lot of these people complaining about political correctness in the USA are free to LEAVE the USA if it's a big enough problem for them. But you probably wouldn't walk up to someone who's complaining about political correctness in the USA and say to them, "you don't have any right to complain...if you don't like it, then get the hell out of my country."

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#380 Ninja-Hippo
And what evidence do you have that that is the case, rather than what I claim to be the reason?dromiceiomimus
Well, because if i feared that muslims wanted to go about the world subjugating people i'd be quite relieved to have the actual full context of that passage explained to me, considering it demonstrates that that is not the case. I certainly wouldn't argue against that and insist that it IS the case and they ARE out to get me.
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#381 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

[QUOTE="HaloReachGOTY"]f its for religious reasons then no. if he thinks the santa is a perv then ya

MrGeezer

Then...once you establish that the validity of the complaint is due to the NATURE of the complaint, then don't make it an issue of where the person came from.

I'm actually not sure which is worse, arguing that someone doesn't have the right to complain about it on religious principle or ethnic principle. Frankly, I don't see the big deal, school is a place where people of many different cultures and viewpoints come and it is mandatory, I think anything done within school should be made as neutral as possible. Why can't the parents who do want their kids to see Santa organize a seperate event?

Pixel-Pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#382 Pixel-Pirate
Member since 2009 • 10771 Posts

[QUOTE="Pixel-Pirate"]

[QUOTE="dromiceiomimus"]Do you have a better explanation? What evidence do you have that I'm lying about my motives?dromiceiomimus

And what evidence do you have that that is the case, rather than what I claim to be the reason?

The fact you seem to know next to nothing of the religion and use the tired Islamophobe reasoning of "Well yes it's totally okay for Christians and Jews to ignore entire chapters of their book but not Muslims. Why? Well, uh....BECAUSE!"

You also seem to act like all Muslims are some terrible extremists who are out to get you.

dromiceiomimus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#383 dromiceiomimus

Pixel-Pirate

The fact you seem to know next to nothing of the religion and use the tired Islamophobe reasoning of "Well yes it's totally okay for Christians and Jews to ignore entire chapters of their book but not Muslims. Why? Well, uh....BECAUSE!"

You also seem to act like all Muslims are some terrible extremists who are out to get you.

I stated quite explicitly why it is particularly impermissible for Muslims to throw out parts of their holy book. Perhaps you should try actually paying attention.
dromiceiomimus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#384 dromiceiomimus
[QUOTE="dromiceiomimus"]Oh, please. Just because there is a historical context doesn't mean it applies only to that context. That's like saying that the Ten Commandments only apply to people stood on Mount Sinai. You'll have to do a lot better than that, especially when a Hadith states that the Jizya will be abolished only at the time of the Second Coming.Ninja-Hippo
If you genuinely believe that when Muhammad told his army to march to the border of the roman empire and advised them that any traitors they encounter on the way should be allowed to re-join or pay a tax is the same thing as a teaching instructing that all non-muslim people be subjugated then that's your choice. I see no point in arguing it. I've told you what the actual correct story is rather than the cherry-picked verse that anti-muslim websites love to spread around, and to me it's simple common sense what that verse is all about.

I'm sorry, are you even reading the same book? It doesn't refer to 'traitors'. It refers to non-Muslims in general. Allah is telling Muhammad to levy a lax upon non-Muslims, and you have provided f***-all evidence that that isn't exactly what it means. There is no evidence whatsoever that by non-Muslims it means that tiny subset of non-Muslims to whom you think it is restricted, and the way in which the hadiths are littered with references to the Jizya as subjugatory tool of Muslim states makes it pretty damn clear that its application is far broader than you would so dearly love to believe.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#385 MrGeezer

I'm actually not sure which is worse, arguing that someone doesn't have the right to complain about it on religious principle or ethnic principle. Frankly, I don't see the big deal, school is a place where people of many different cultures and viewpoints come and it is mandatory, I think anything done within school should be made as neutral as possible. Why can't the parents who do want their kids to see Santa organize a seperate event?

theone86

I don't think there IS anything with the parents wanting to organize a separate event. My point is, if you look at people's complaints of the family who complained, you'll see two sentiments being repeated over and over...

1) "They shouldn't have complained, because it was a stupid complaint."

2) "They shouldn't have complained because they're immigrants. And if they don't like how things are done in our country, then they need to shut up and go back to where they came from."

I'm not saying that the family's complaint WAS stupid. But if you look at the two most common criticisms of the family, those seem to be the two that keep popping up: either a criticism of the validity of the complaint itself, or a criticism about how the damn immigrants have the nerve to complain about our country.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#386 theone86

[QUOTE="Pixel-Pirate"]

[QUOTE="dromiceiomimus"]And what evidence do you have that that is the case, rather than what I claim to be the reason?dromiceiomimus

I stated quite explicitly why it is particularly impermissible for Muslims to throw out parts of their holy book. Perhaps you should try actually paying attention.

I missed the post, but if your reason was that Muhammed wrote the Koran so every word in it must be true because of divine inspiration, then it's complete bull****. There are plenty of Christians and Jews who feel the same way about their holy books being divinely inspired. The fact is that every holy book is vague on some matters and every holy book is set within a cultural frame. Just about the entire exerceise of every religion out there is interpretation ofa holy book, and no religion has ever had complete agreement on interpretation. In fact, that argument is debunked simply by the presence of different factions within the Muslim faith, if there is no room for Muslims to interpret the Koran differenlty then there would be no need for different factions.

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#387 Ninja-Hippo
I'm sorry, are you even reading the same book? It doesn't refer to 'traitors'. It refers to non-Muslims in general. Allah is telling Muhammad to levy a lax upon non-Muslims, and you have provided f***-all evidence that that isn't exactly what it means. There is no evidence whatsoever that by non-Muslims it means that tiny subset of non-Muslims to whom you think it is restricted, and the way in which the hadiths are littered with references to the Jizya as subjugatory tool of Muslim states makes it pretty damn clear that its application is far broader than you would so dearly love to believe.dromiceiomimus
If you were reading the book right now you would know that it's nothing like what you're suggesting. :? This is such a typical verse out there on Islamaphobe websites, i'm just not buying that you've come out with this as an example of a supposedly bad verse from your own Quran reading. There's also absolutely no mention of Allah in it whatsoever. And the traitors ARE the non-muslims, they're all the arab tribes who turned on Muhammad and his men and let the roman empire through. For the last time, a bunch of arab tribes betrayed the muslims and let the holy roman empire through. The empire is defeated and pulls back. Muhammad then orders his men forward but only as far as the border with the holy roman empire. He tells them that on the way any non-muslims they encounter should be allowed to re-join or forced to pay tribute. ALL the non-muslims between them and Syria (where they were going) were the arab tribes who gave them up to the romans. Now if you pick out that ONE line from the entire story of the battles it's very easily projected as Muhammad telling all muslims to subjugate all non-muslims but that is not what it is saying at all. So you have nothing to worry about. Be happy.
dromiceiomimus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#388 dromiceiomimus

theone86

I missed the post, but if your reason was that Muhammed wrote the Koran so every word in it must be true because of divine inspiration, then it's complete bull****. There are plenty of Christians and Jews who feel the same way about their holy books being divinely inspired. The fact is that every holy book is vague on some matters and every holy book is set within a cultural frame. Just about the entire exerceise of every religion out there is interpretation ofa holy book, and no religion has ever had complete agreement on interpretation. In fact, that argument is debunked simply by the presence of different factions within the Muslim faith, if there is no room for Muslims to interpret the Koran differenlty then there would be no need for different factions.

I didn't claim there was no room for Muslims to interpret the Quran differently; I'm well aware that even people who believe their holy books are literally true can't agree on things. What I am claiming is that there's really no room for maneuvre in regards to the Quran being God's word: whether it is true or not is really the difference between Muhammad being God's messenger on earth, and Muhammad being either a fraud or a probable schizophrenic.
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#389 theone86

[QUOTE="theone86"]

MrGeezer

I don't think there IS anything with the parents wanting to organize a separate event. My point is, if you look at people's complaints of the family who complained, you'll see two sentiments being repeated over and over...

1) "They shouldn't have complained, because it was a stupid complaint."

2) "They shouldn't have complained because they're immigrants. And if they don't like how things are done in our country, then they need to shut up and go back to where they came from."

I'm not saying that the family's complaint WAS stupid. But if you look at the two most common criticisms of the family, those seem to be the two that keep popping up: either a criticism of the validity of the complaint itself, or a criticism about how the damn immigrants have the nerve to complain about our country.

I'm actually a little confused at how this string of posts has panned out. With my previous post I was agreeing with you in the first sentence, the rest wasn't directed at you and was just my general viewpoint on the situation.

dromiceiomimus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#390 dromiceiomimus
[QUOTE="dromiceiomimus"]I'm sorry, are you even reading the same book? It doesn't refer to 'traitors'. It refers to non-Muslims in general. Allah is telling Muhammad to levy a lax upon non-Muslims, and you have provided f***-all evidence that that isn't exactly what it means. There is no evidence whatsoever that by non-Muslims it means that tiny subset of non-Muslims to whom you think it is restricted, and the way in which the hadiths are littered with references to the Jizya as subjugatory tool of Muslim states makes it pretty damn clear that its application is far broader than you would so dearly love to believe.Ninja-Hippo
If you were reading the book right now you would know that it's nothing like what you're suggesting. :? This is such a typical verse out there on Islamaphobe websites, i'm just not buying that you've come out with this as an example of a supposedly bad verse from your own Quran reading. There's also absolutely no mention of Allah in it whatsoever. And the traitors ARE the non-muslims, they're all the arab tribes who turned on Muhammad and his men and let the roman empire through. For the last time, a bunch of arab tribes betrayed the muslims and let the holy roman empire through. The empire is defeated and pulls back. Muhammad then orders his men forward but only as far as the border with the holy roman empire. He tells them that on the way any non-muslims they encounter should be allowed to re-join or forced to pay tribute. ALL the non-muslims between them and Syria (where they were going) were the arab tribes who gave them up to the romans. Now if you pick out that ONE line from the entire story of the battles it's very easily projected as Muhammad telling all muslims to subjugate all non-muslims but that is not what it is saying at all. So you have nothing to worry about. Be happy.

Hint: it's a typical verse in Islamophobe websites because it's really, really good ammo. Also, um - you do realise that the idea is the Quran is God's word, right? I have this awful feeling that you think it's written from Muhammad's perspective, which would very much call into question the royal we that appears throughout. :?
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#391 theone86

[QUOTE="theone86"]

[QUOTE="dromiceiomimus"]I stated quite explicitly why it is particularly impermissible for Muslims to throw out parts of their holy book. Perhaps you should try actually paying attention.dromiceiomimus

I didn't claim there was no room for Muslims to interpret the Quran differently; I'm well aware that even people who believe their holy books are literally true can't agree on things. What I am claiming is that there's really no room for maneuvre in regards to the Quran being God's word: whether it is true or not is really the difference between Muhammad being God's messenger on earth, and Muhammad being either a fraud or a probable schizophrenic.

But every religion with a holy book believes it's divinely inspired, that's why it's called a HOLY book. Jewish people believe that Moses spoke directly to god when writing the ten commandments, Christians believe that Mary was visited by an angel, there are verses in the Bible that claim god inspired the writers of the Bible divinely, how does that differ from any other religion?

dromiceiomimus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#392 dromiceiomimus
theone86
Sure, point taken, but the claims in, say, the Bible that it is God's word can only be known to be true if we take it as a given that the Bible is God's word; it is logically consistent for a Christian to reject passages of the Bible as long as they reject every passage of the Bible that claims that every passage of the Bible is the word of God. Moreover, they can do this without defaming their religion's central prophet in the process, which is (unfortunately) not the case in Islam.
Rhazakna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#393 Rhazakna

[QUOTE="dromiceiomimus"][QUOTE="theone86"]

theone86

But every religion with a holy book believes it's divinely inspired, that's why it's called a HOLY book. Jewish people believe that Moses spoke directly to god when writing the ten commandments, Christians believe that Mary was visited by an angel, there are verses in the Bible that claim god inspired the writers of the Bible divinely, how does that differ from any other religion?

The Quran is not like thge Bible. The Bible was written over a massive period of time, and contributed to by several authors with many different perspectives. the Quran was written in Muhammad's lifetime, and is supposed to be the revealed and final word of God through Gabriel. Errors in the Quran hold more weight than in the bible, because of the lack of pluralistic authorship.
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#394 Ninja-Hippo
Hint: it's a typical verse in Islamophobe websites because it's really, really good ammo. Also, um - you do realise that the idea is the Quran is God's word, right? I have this awful feeling that you think it's written from Muhammad's perspective, which would very much call into question the royal we that appears throughout. :?dromiceiomimus
But it's NOT good ammo because it's a cherry picked line from a story about a battle, and in no way whatsoever a preaching. :? It's just a nice and evil sounding line to get people riled up. And you realize that practically every holy book has *stories* as well as teachings, yes? You realize that there are whole passages in the bible, the quran and the torah which aren't TEACHING but just stories about Jesus, Moses or whoever else it may be? That line is from a *story* - an account of a battle between muhammad and the holy roman empire. It's like taking the story of Jesus sending possessed pigs into a lake and saying that must demand that people drown pigs.
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#395 theone86

[QUOTE="theone86"]dromiceiomimus
Sure, point taken, but the claims in, say, the Bible that it is God's word can only be known to be true if we take it as a given that the Bible is God's word; it is logically consistent for a Christian to reject passages of the Bible as long as they reject every passage of the Bible that claims that every passage of the Bible is the word of God. Moreover, they can do this without defaming their religion's central prophet in the process, which is (unfortunately) not the case in Islam.

Well, for one Jews cannot do that without defaming their central prophet. Two, it does not really matter who the prophet in question is, every holy book was written through prophets and therefore questioning the validity of certain parts as the word of god leaves open every single other part as susceptible to the same questioning, therefore questioning a "minor" prophet is just as well as attacking the "central" prophet. Thirdly, which passages are subject to questioning is a matter of interpretation, which again is a central theme of any religion. Lastly, why is it not possible to question that Islam is the direct word of god? Yes, Muhammed was their central prophet, but he was just a man. You can question whether or not the Koran holds divine inspiration in a literal sense or in the sense of god working through Muhammed in a less direct manner as Christians say god works through them when they do good works. In short, this is a faulty argument, every religion holds the validity of their book as the word of god, just how literally they take that is a matter of interpretation in Islam as it is in any other religion.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#396 theone86

[QUOTE="theone86"]

[QUOTE="dromiceiomimus"]I didn't claim there was no room for Muslims to interpret the Quran differently; I'm well aware that even people who believe their holy books are literally true can't agree on things. What I am claiming is that there's really no room for maneuvre in regards to the Quran being God's word: whether it is true or not is really the difference between Muhammad being God's messenger on earth, and Muhammad being either a fraud or a probable schizophrenic.Rhazakna

The Quran is not like thge Bible. The Bible was written over a massive period of time, and contributed to by several authors with many different perspectives. the Quran was written in Muhammad's lifetime, and is supposed to be the revealed and final word of God through Gabriel. Errors in the Quran hold more weight than in the bible, because of the lack of pluralistic authorship.

This isn't a question of errors, though, this is a question of if holy books are the divinely inspired word of god and every religion at least on an official level answers that question with a resounding yes.

Rhazakna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#397 Rhazakna

[QUOTE="dromiceiomimus"][QUOTE="theone86"]theone86

Well, for one Jews cannot do that without defaming their central prophet. Two, it does not really matter who the prophet in question is, every holy book was written through prophets and therefore questioning the validity of certain parts as the word of god leaves open every single other part as susceptible to the same questioning, therefore questioning a "minor" prophet is just as well as attacking the "central" prophet. Thirdly, which passages are subject to questioning is a matter of interpretation, which again is a central theme of any religion. Lastly, why is it not possible to question that Islam is the direct word of god? Yes, Muhammed was their central prophet, but he was just a man. You can question whether or not the Koran holds divine inspiration in a literal sense or in the sense of god working through Muhammed in a less direct manner as Christians say god works through them when they do good works. In short, this is a faulty argument, every religion holds the validity of their book as the word of god, just how literally they take that is a matter of interpretation in Islam as it is in any other religion.

There is no "central prophet" in Judaism. Every Jewish person I've ever known thinks that the Old Testament is either largely or entirely metaphor and allegory, whereas that belief is less common amongst Christians and Muslims.

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#398 Ninja-Hippo

There is no "central prophet" in Judaism.

Rhazakna

Yeah they're just called the books of Moses for fun. :P

Rhazakna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#399 Rhazakna

[QUOTE="Rhazakna"][QUOTE="theone86"]

theone86

This isn't a question of errors, though, this is a question of if holy books are the divinely inspired word of god and every religion at least on an official level answers that question with a resounding yes.

Yes, but religious claims of divinely inspired books are not all equal. Rejecting part of the bible can make sense if you reject that particular author's perspective, but the same cannot be said of the Quran, since it didn't have multiple authors. In other words, questioning a part of the bible is the equivalent of questioning a particular author. Questioning the Quran is questioning Muhammad, the central figure of the Islamic religion, and supposedly god's last prophet on Earth.

Rhazakna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#400 Rhazakna

[QUOTE="Rhazakna"]

There is no "central prophet" in Judaism.

Ninja-Hippo

Yeah they're just called the books of Moses for fun. :P

You can call Moses the central prophet I suppose, but he is not like Muhammad or Jesus are to their respective religions. Judaism has no central figure in the way Christianity and Islam do.