Computer Technical Discussion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 avatarIVN
Member since 2008 • 750 Posts
I dont think netbooks and tablets are a waste of money, instead I consider them made for other uses like those of heavy traveling and presentations
Sandulf29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 Sandulf29
Member since 2010 • 14330 Posts
Netbooks are okay actually good for travelling but tablets are just waste. I mean you can get a netbook forthe same money why get a tablet
julian_jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53 julian_jr
Member since 2007 • 83416 Posts
How heavy is your macbook? It can't be that heavy. I usually only have a laptop and one or two notebook in my backpack so it isn't that heavySandulf29
It's 5.6 pounds according to Apple's website. My backpack isn't built for carrying laptops though.
julian_jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 julian_jr
Netbooks are okay actually good for travelling but tablets are just waste. I mean you can get a netbook forthe same money why get a tabletSandulf29
I don't see the need for a tablet, especially when my iPhone can do almost everything that one can already do. The netbook though I can see it being possibly convenient since it's an extremely portable laptop in essence.
Sandulf29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Sandulf29
That isn't heavy. Get a better backpack and carry it around.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 avatarIVN
Perhaps we havent seen the best use for tablets yet. Maybe there is a future for tablets, new uses, new software, or.... maybe they are just a waste of money
julian_jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 julian_jr
Do you know any good backpacks that you would recommend? Mine is made more for sports than for school lol.
julian_jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 julian_jr
Perhaps we havent seen the best use for tablets yet. Maybe there is a future for tablets, new uses, new software, or.... maybe they are just a waste of moneyavatarIVN
I'd say that in the future tablets will be handy, but for now there just aren't enough uses for them to guarantee me wanting to purchase one.
Sandulf29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Sandulf29
Do you know any good backpacks that you would recommend? Mine is made more for sports than for school lol. julian_jr
Look out for something by Belkins. they usually have good stuff. In fact I think they will have something special for Macbook's

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 avatarIVN
So tablets no and netbooks yes.
Sandulf29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Sandulf29
IMO iPad is like oversized iTouch. I would like to get an iTouch. My friend recently got one and am having fun playing fruit ninja on it. But I think that is the only gae I like so far
Sandulf29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Sandulf29
So tablets no and netbooks yes. avatarIVN
Yes. Unless newer tablets are better like can open more than one application at a time and have better hardware
julian_jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 julian_jr
[QUOTE="julian_jr"]Do you know any good backpacks that you would recommend? Mine is made more for sports than for school lol. Sandulf29
Look out for something by Belkins. they usually have good stuff. In fact I think they will have something special for Macbook's

Belkins. Gotcha, I'll have to remember the name. I've been looking for purchasing a new backpack for some time now since my current one just isn't cutting it. Part of my hassles at the moment are that I have to take my laptop with me in a case outside of my backpack, which I find to be annoying.
julian_jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 julian_jr
IMO iPad is like oversized iTouch. I would like to get an iTouch. My friend recently got one and am having fun playing fruit ninja on it. But I think that is the only gae I like so farSandulf29
I can see them getting some cool things in the future. I'm actually interested in taking an IOS programming class later in college which is now being offered.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#65 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts
[QUOTE="Sandulf29"]

Now a thread I can rule :twisted:

BTW I will be getting a new laptop very soon. Currently I am liking one model very much and it fits my budget. Here are the specs:

i5 Sandy bridge processor (i think 2410)

4GB RAM

and 1/2 GB of nVIDIA GT 540

15.6" TFT LCD

1366x768 res

all for around $670. I think it can handle almost all of recent games. Benchmarks say it can run Bulletstorm, Black Ops on 45 FPS I think that speaks for performance. Whadya think guys?

I think these are good hardware specifications, however a better graphics card could help you great deal for gaming. 

He would need a new and better laptop then.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 avatarIVN

Is there a gadget that can compete with a tablet in terms of watching/replaying videos?

I mean, I accept that tablets are really expensive but they do have their virtues. Although there are smaller gadgets that can do the same. So which gadget do you recommend?

Sandulf29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Sandulf29
Meh. I think this is good enough for 2 years. After which I will mostly be gettng a new gaming rig and possibly a PS3
Belkins. Gotcha, I'll have to remember the name. I've been looking for purchasing a new backpack for some time now since my current one just isn't cutting it. Part of my hassles at the moment are that I have to take my laptop with me in a case outside of my backpack, which I find to be annoying. julian_jr
Actually they are famous for also making iPhone, iPod cases too.
I can see them getting some cool things in the future. I'm actually interested in taking an IOS programming class later in college which is now being offered.julian_jr
So you would need an Apple product to learn it? I think they maybe propogating Apple :P BTW in which University are you studying?
julian_jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 julian_jr
What exactly do you mean? I noticed recently that there's a way to view my dish TV from my iphone by purchasing something extra (which I have), but I'm not sure if that's what you mean.
julian_jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 julian_jr
So you would need an Apple product to learn it? I think they maybe propogating Apple :P BTW in which University are you studying?Sandulf29
Well considering that I already have a lot of Apple stuff and IOS is a pretty popular thing right now, I think I'm already set to go. They kind of do at my university though for real, all the computer science teachers prefer having Macs since they run in Unix, and that's all I ever see the professors using here. I go to the University of Kentucky.
Sandulf29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Sandulf29

Is there a gadget that can compete with a tablet in terms of watching/replaying videos?

I mean, I accept that tablets are really expensive but they do have their virtues. Although there are smaller gadgets that can do the same. So which gadget do you recommend?

I personally would recoomend netbooks over tablets any day. It can almost do everything your PC can do. Tablets are just meant for browsing net, playin games etc. for which I think iTouch or PSP are equally good unless you are attracte to big screen so much that you are willing to spend so much money

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 avatarIVN

What exactly do you mean? I noticed recently that there's a way to view my dish TV from my iphone by purchasing something extra (which I have), but I'm not sure if that's what you mean. julian_jr

The question is for me, right? 

Well I mean that if I want to reproduce videos, for example, Which gadget could do that? (excluding computers)

Sandulf29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Sandulf29
Well considering that I already have a lot of Apple stuff and IOS is a pretty popular thing right now, I think I'm already set to go. They kind of do at my university though for real, all the computer science teachers prefer having Macs since they run in Unix, and that's all I ever see the professors using here. I go to the University of Kentucky. julian_jr
Well there are other Linux based systems like Fedora, Ubuntu etc. available on regular PC's and good enough for learning programming too. Do you guys have on campus recruitment after graduation?
julian_jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 julian_jr
[QUOTE="julian_jr"]Well considering that I already have a lot of Apple stuff and IOS is a pretty popular thing right now, I think I'm already set to go. They kind of do at my university though for real, all the computer science teachers prefer having Macs since they run in Unix, and that's all I ever see the professors using here. I go to the University of Kentucky. Sandulf29
Well there are other Linux based systems like Fedora, Ubuntu etc. available on regular PC's and good enough for learning programming too. Do you guys have on campus recruitment after graduation?

I don't know what that is, you gotta remember that I'm just in my second year so I don't know much about graduation and things following yet. I do know however that in the multi lab that we have here they do use Ubuntu.
julian_jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 julian_jr

[QUOTE="julian_jr"]What exactly do you mean? I noticed recently that there's a way to view my dish TV from my iphone by purchasing something extra (which I have), but I'm not sure if that's what you mean. avatarIVN

Well I mean that if I want to reproduce videos, for example, Which gadget could do that? (excluding computers)

Oh well that I'm not too sure about. I don't know if a tablet has the capabilities of doing something like that yet...
Sandulf29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Sandulf29

[QUOTE="julian_jr"]What exactly do you mean? I noticed recently that there's a way to view my dish TV from my iphone by purchasing something extra (which I have), but I'm not sure if that's what you mean. avatarIVN

My friend told me i Touch does that. When you view a video on youtube or whatever, you can replay it without loading it again. However it goes away after you switch it off
Sandulf29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Sandulf29
I don't know what that is, you gotta remember that I'm just in my second year so I don't know much about graduation and things following yet. I do know however that in the multi lab that we have here they do use Ubuntu. julian_jr
It mean during or after your final year or so companies come to your campus to offer you jobs.
julian_jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 julian_jr
[QUOTE="julian_jr"]I don't know what that is, you gotta remember that I'm just in my second year so I don't know much about graduation and things following yet. I do know however that in the multi lab that we have here they do use Ubuntu. Sandulf29
It mean during or after your final year or so companies come to your campus to offer you jobs.

Oh well we do have career fairs throughout the year and also there are several companies who whenever curious are able to access a student's resume (if the student has put it in the online engineering site) and can contact.
Sandulf29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Sandulf29
Oh thats good too.
julian_jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 julian_jr
Yeah, sometime next year is when I'll have to start worrying about finding companies. My goal is to one day work for Google...
Sandulf29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Sandulf29
Actually Microsoft came here. We weren't eligible so we didn't sit but they picked the best. They had a tough aptitude test foollowed by 2 interviews. They picked 4 students I think from entire city and salary I think is $120000 PA
julian_jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 julian_jr
Wow that would be pretty cool getting to work for a company like Microsoft. Google, Apple, and then Microsoft are my top 3 choices in order of where I would love to work someday.
Sandulf29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Sandulf29
But as I said pretty tough to get into. I too dream of getting into Intel, nVIDIA, AMD, ARM, Sony, Apple etc.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 avatarIVN
@julian_jr and @sandulf, which position do you guys desire in a company?
Sandulf29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Sandulf29
I think I would like to be a desin engineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 avatarIVN
I think it would be cool to have you as a design engineer in a company like intel, sandulf.
Sandulf29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Sandulf29
I there is. But their designing is a bit different. They design architechture of processors which is good too.
julian_jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 julian_jr
@julian_jr and @sandulf, which position do you guys desire in a company?avatarIVN
I don't really know what position yet, however I do intend whenever I work somewhere to work up through promotions.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 avatarIVN
But then you guys want to work in software/hardware creation rather than maintenance or something like that
julian_jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 julian_jr
For the most part yeah, I'm not too interested in maintenance. One thing that would interest me however is security, I'm interested in hacking, and if I were to work in the security aspect for a company like Google, then I'd pretty much be the person to prevent other hackers from hacking.
Sandulf29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Sandulf29

I don't think anyone's interested in maintenance part.

@julian: Ethical hacking you mean. Quite cool thing to do actually 

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts
For the most part yeah, I'm not too interested in maintenance. One thing that would interest me however is security, I'm interested in hacking, and if I were to work in the security aspect for a company like Google, then I'd pretty much be the person to prevent other hackers from hacking.julian_jr
So you wanna be paid to do what others do for free?
julian_jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 julian_jr

I don't think anyone's interested in maintenance part.

@julian: Ethical hacking you mean. Quite cool thing to do actually 

Sandulf29
Exactly! My dad had a friend who was one, and I've always thought it would be so cool to become one of those people.
Sandulf29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Sandulf29
cool and pays a lot too. What languages are you learning this year?
julian_jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 julian_jr
I'm learning C++ right now Sandulf. Our latest program that we have to work on is creating a mosaic.
Sandulf29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Sandulf29
Woah! i never went beyond basics. But then we didn't need to then. but sadly if i take up OS as subject in future I would be doomed :cry:
Artekus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Artekus
Member since 2008 • 15700 Posts
I need help with a problem if someone is savvy enough. Every time I shutdown my PC is restarts a few seconds later, why is this? It only started doing it yesterday :?
Sandulf29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Sandulf29
I need help with a problem if someone is savvy enough. Every time I shutdown my PC is restarts a few seconds later, why is this? It only started doing it yesterday :?Artekus
Well thats the first time i am hearing of such thing. Is this the problem you are suffering from?
Artekus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Artekus
Member since 2008 • 15700 Posts

[QUOTE="Artekus"]I need help with a problem if someone is savvy enough. Every time I shutdown my PC is restarts a few seconds later, why is this? It only started doing it yesterday :?Sandulf29
Well thats the first time i am hearing of such thing. Is this the problem you are suffering from?

Yeah, but with Windows 7. I've googled it and tried a few of the 'solutions' but none have solved anything. 

Sandulf29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Sandulf29

[QUOTE="Sandulf29"][QUOTE="Artekus"]I need help with a problem if someone is savvy enough. Every time I shutdown my PC is restarts a few seconds later, why is this? It only started doing it yesterday :?Artekus

Yeah, but with Windows 7. I've googled it and tried a few of the 'solutions' but none have solved anything. 

Sorry I don't much about it :( Ask PC forums here. Maybe they can help 

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

[QUOTE="Sandulf29"][QUOTE="Artekus"]I need help with a problem if someone is savvy enough. Every time I shutdown my PC is restarts a few seconds later, why is this? It only started doing it yesterday :?Artekus

Desktop or laptop?