Computer Technical Discussion

#101 Posted by Artekus (15700 posts) -
[QUOTE="Artekus"]

[QUOTE="Sandulf29"][QUOTE="Artekus"]I need help with a problem if someone is savvy enough. Every time I shutdown my PC is restarts a few seconds later, why is this? It only started doing it yesterday :?horgen123

Well thats the first time i am hearing of such thing. Is this the problem you are suffering from?

Yeah, but with Windows 7. I've googled it and tried a few of the 'solutions' but none have solved anything. 

Desktop or laptop?

Desktop. I also got a blue screen of death not so long ago, something is....awry. 

#102 Posted by Horgen (110131 posts) -
Something is definitely wrong then. It turns on even if you turn it off by holding the off button in for 5 seconds or so?
#103 Posted by julian_jr (83416 posts) -
Could it be that there's a batch file which is causing the problem?
#104 Posted by UprootedDreamer (2080 posts) -

I have been using a mac for years and I do not know if I could ever go back to a PC due to all of the viruses. 

#105 Posted by Sandulf29 (14151 posts) -
[QUOTE="horgen123"][QUOTE="Artekus"]

[QUOTE="Sandulf29"][QUOTE="Artekus"]I need help with a problem if someone is savvy enough. Every time I shutdown my PC is restarts a few seconds later, why is this? It only started doing it yesterday :?Artekus

Well thats the first time i am hearing of such thing. Is this the problem you are suffering from?

Yeah, but with Windows 7. I've googled it and tried a few of the 'solutions' but none have solved anything. 

Desktop or laptop?

Desktop. I also got a blue screen of death not so long ago, something is....awry. 

So you got a BSOD couple of days ago? Then I think it is an error message causing automatic restart after shutdown as they suggested in the thread. I suggest you formatting your OS. There is no such thing as reparing Windows and it barely takes 15 minutes 

#106 Posted by Sandulf29 (14151 posts) -

I have been using a mac for years and I do not know if I could ever go back to a PC due to all of the viruses. 

UprootedDreamer
Use a linux system with windows. never fails
#107 Posted by UprootedDreamer (2080 posts) -
[QUOTE="UprootedDreamer"]

Sandulf29

Wouldn't a linux system be easy to hack since the code is so simple?
#108 Posted by julian_jr (83416 posts) -
[QUOTE="UprootedDreamer"]

Sandulf29

Linux isn't user friendly though. Most of the people who use it are just programmers and people in that field.
#109 Posted by Sandulf29 (14151 posts) -
Wouldn't a linux system be easy to hack since the code is so simple?UprootedDreamer
Nobody cares for windows as 90% of the world uses windows. So most of the hacks and malwares are for Windows. And people wonder how come Macs don't get viruses :lol:
Linux isn't user friendly though. Most of the people who use it are just programmers and people in that field. julian_jr
Actually Ubuntu has got quite a user friendly GUI. So all you want to do with a PC is use net, check mail, make documents Ubuntu is worth.
#110 Posted by julian_jr (83416 posts) -
The above is why it's so nice not having to worry about viruses with Macs. ^^ You know that the average computer user would have no idea how to even go about getting Ubuntu though.
#111 Posted by jediknight52501 (69715 posts) -
i never used Ubuntu or Linux on my Laptop.
#112 Posted by avatarIVN (750 posts) -

I broadly recommend linux if you are curious and you have enough time and desire to learn the basics. What julian_jr says about ubuntu is true, however I think its only part of the whole truth, since the GUI(Graphical User Interface) of ubuntu Linux is very intuitive and easy to use. So if you only use your computer for surfing the web, create office documents and such other simple tasks you could perfectly use Ubuntu

#113 Posted by Sandulf29 (14151 posts) -
The above is why it's so nice not having to worry about viruses with Macs. ^^ You know that the average computer user would have no idea how to even go about getting Ubuntu though.julian_jr
All you got to do is dowload it on a disc and install it following some instuctions everywhere. If people can't do that then they can't blame for Windows crashing or Apple ripping them of money.
#115 Posted by mitu123 (153911 posts) -
The above is why it's so nice not having to worry about viruses with Macs. ^^ You know that the average computer user would have no idea how to even go about getting Ubuntu though.julian_jr
You do know Macs can have viruses right?
#116 Posted by julian_jr (83416 posts) -
[QUOTE="julian_jr"]The above is why it's so nice not having to worry about viruses with Macs. ^^ You know that the average computer user would have no idea how to even go about getting Ubuntu though.mitu123

The amount of viruses on Macs compared to Windows is minimal though.
#117 Posted by mitu123 (153911 posts) -
[QUOTE="mitu123"][QUOTE="julian_jr"]The above is why it's so nice not having to worry about viruses with Macs. ^^ You know that the average computer user would have no idea how to even go about getting Ubuntu though.julian_jr

The amount of viruses on Macs compared to Windows is minimal though.

Because Macs aren't as popular, otherwise it would be near Windows, lol.
#118 Posted by Horgen (110131 posts) -
Thus not a lot of money in making viruses for mac...
#119 Posted by Artekus (15700 posts) -
[QUOTE="Artekus"][QUOTE="horgen123"][QUOTE="Artekus"]

[QUOTE="Sandulf29"][QUOTE="Artekus"]I need help with a problem if someone is savvy enough. Every time I shutdown my PC is restarts a few seconds later, why is this? It only started doing it yesterday :?Sandulf29

Desktop or laptop?

So you got a BSOD couple of days ago? Then I think it is an error message causing automatic restart after shutdown as they suggested in the thread. I suggest you formatting your OS. There is no such thing as reparing Windows and it barely takes 15 minutes 

Won't that erase everything? 

#120 Posted by Horgen (110131 posts) -

Artekus
It will. Absolutely everything will be gone.
#121 Posted by jediknight52501 (69715 posts) -
i had a PC that got the BSOD 3 times in one day. i gave it to my parents.
#122 Posted by Artekus (15700 posts) -
[QUOTE="Artekus"]

horgen123

Not a desirable outcome. 

#123 Posted by Horgen (110131 posts) -

Artekus

Not a desirable outcome. 

Got an external HDD?
#124 Posted by julian_jr (83416 posts) -

Artekus

Not a desirable outcome. 

You've never made any backups for situations like this?
#125 Posted by Horgen (110131 posts) -
Speaking of it, maybe I should get a new external HDD. The 2TB should last me a long time.
#126 Posted by mitu123 (153911 posts) -
Speaking of it, maybe I should get a new external HDD. The 2TB should last me a long time. horgen123
The hell it will.
#127 Posted by Artekus (15700 posts) -
[QUOTE="Artekus"][QUOTE="horgen123"][QUOTE="Artekus"]

horgen123

Not a desirable outcome. 

Got an external HDD?

Yer, I do. So I should just back up all my music, photos, games and so on and reinstall windows?

My last back up was a few weeks ago. 

#128 Posted by Horgen (110131 posts) -
[QUOTE="horgen123"]Speaking of it, maybe I should get a new external HDD. The 2TB should last me a long time. mitu123
The hell it will.

I got a 750GB one now, and if I let Win 7 security copy do its work on it's own, I fill up like 350gb of that in go.

Yer, I do. So I should just back up all my music, photos, games and so on and reinstall windows?

My last back up was a few weeks ago. 

Artekus
Yeah. Basically anything you don't want to be gone. However the process of reformatting... Speak to Mitu about it, he knows more about it than I do I think.

Also(stating my thoughts here) I'm not 100% it would help though. If your problem arrived just after a blue screen. :(
#129 Posted by Artekus (15700 posts) -
Is it possible to just restore the system files from my back-up in the hopes it would replace my current ones which would include whatever corrupt file/driver there is? Or is that not possible? I really suck with fixing computers...
#130 Posted by jediknight52501 (69715 posts) -
Speaking of it, maybe I should get a new external HDD. The 2TB should last me a long time. horgen123
i could use one as well.
#131 Posted by Horgen (110131 posts) -
Is it possible to just restore the system files from my back-up in the hopes it would replace my current ones which would include whatever corrupt file/driver there is? Or is that not possible? I really suck with fixing computers...Artekus
I have no idea.
#132 Posted by mitu123 (153911 posts) -
Is it possible to just restore the system files from my back-up in the hopes it would replace my current ones which would include whatever corrupt file/driver there is? Or is that not possible? I really suck with fixing computers...Artekus
Just do a system restore.
#133 Posted by kitty (114739 posts) -
I'm just learning how to build one.
I do have one wrote down, it only costs $300 something and it can run skyrim on ultra
#134 Posted by mitu123 (153911 posts) -
I'm just learning how to build one.
I do have one wrote down, it only costs $300 something and it can run skyrim on ultra2ndWonder
Need specs for proof.
#135 Posted by kitty (114739 posts) -

[QUOTE="2ndWonder"]I'm just learning how to build one.
I do have one wrote down, it only costs $300 something and it can run skyrim on ultramitu123
Need specs for proof.

okies

[spoiler] found these specs on a youtube vid
- Athlon 2 x2 250 (2x1 MB L2 cache)
- Foxconn 880G mobo (710 SB)
- SATA3 1 TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM HDD
- Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 1 GB GDDR5 (128-bit)
- 4 GB DDR3 1333 MHz RAM
- 500W silent flow "No Name" PSU
- Codegen case
[/spoiler]

this is something i was putting together before the vid
[spoiler]
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138324

$64.99 (Mobo)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=19-103-911

$79.99 (CPU)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161386

Graphics $74.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231311

Ram $42.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152028

power supply $39.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811103030

Case $59.98

total: $366.94 [/spoiler] I obviously need to fix mine. :P Like find a different cpu and power supply
but I was just messing around seeing how cheap I could build a comp

Edit: but if you want proof, I can post a vid to the computer that has the specs from the first spoiler, it runs skyrim on ultra and gets over 30 fps

#136 Posted by mitu123 (153911 posts) -
Ok, at what resolution? This is important to know.
#137 Posted by kitty (114739 posts) -
Ok, at what resolution? This is important to know.mitu123
taken from the vid Settings at "Ultra" preset, 4xAA, 16xAF, 1680x1050 resolution, presuming v-sync is on (no off option). Preset augmented with FXAA on, decals set to ultra and shadows to high. This run gives 20 min, 65 max and 33 avg FPS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXRjcfqpDEk&feature=channel_video_title
#138 Posted by mitu123 (153911 posts) -
[QUOTE="mitu123"]Ok, at what resolution? This is important to know.2ndWonder
taken from the vid Settings at "Ultra" preset, 4xAA, 16xAF, 1680x1050 resolution, presuming v-sync is on (no off option). Preset augmented with FXAA on, decals set to ultra and shadows to high. This run gives 20 min, 65 max and 33 avg FPS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXRjcfqpDEk&feature=channel_video_title

While it's not the most demanding game out there, that is pretty impressive for those specs, much, much better than consoles.
#139 Posted by kitty (114739 posts) -
[QUOTE="2ndWonder"][QUOTE="mitu123"]Ok, at what resolution? This is important to know.mitu123

While it's not the most demanding game out there, that is pretty impressive for those specs, much, much better than consoles.

I'm gonna probably spend a bit more than $300, I'm looking at maybe $350 - $370. As the second spoiler had what I was looking at. But that is what I'm going for, for now. My friend is going to give me the money to build this. (income tax time, which should be jan or feb for him) I'm gonna work my way from there to something better.
#140 Posted by mitu123 (153911 posts) -
[QUOTE="mitu123"][QUOTE="2ndWonder"][QUOTE="mitu123"]Ok, at what resolution? This is important to know.2ndWonder

I'm gonna probably spend a bit more than $300, I'm looking at maybe $350 - $370. As the second spoiler had what I was looking at. But that is what I'm going for, for now. My friend is going to give me the money to build this. (income tax time, which should be jan or feb for him) I'm gonna work my way from there to something better.

Good, very good I must say, you are on your way to having a gaming PC.
#141 Posted by Toph_Girl250 (47671 posts) -
This is the one thread that always puzzles me, I'm no expert for Computer Hardware.
#142 Posted by mitu123 (153911 posts) -
This is the one thread that always puzzles me, I'm no expert for Computer Hardware.Toph_Girl250
You can learn from me.=3
#143 Posted by kitty (114739 posts) -
Good, very good I must say, you are on your way to having a gaming PC.mitu123
Yea. Just gotta take it slowly and make the best of what I have to spend.
#144 Posted by Toph_Girl250 (47671 posts) -
[QUOTE="Toph_Girl250"]This is the one thread that always puzzles me, I'm no expert for Computer Hardware.mitu123
You can learn from me.=3

Well, I did have to get my hard drive for my laptop fixed, all the way back in June-July 2010.
#145 Posted by mitu123 (153911 posts) -
[QUOTE="mitu123"][QUOTE="Toph_Girl250"]This is the one thread that always puzzles me, I'm no expert for Computer Hardware.Toph_Girl250
You can learn from me.=3

Well, I did have to get my hard drive for my laptop fixed, all the way back in June-July 2010.

It can be a pain to get that fixed, lol.
#146 Posted by kitty (114739 posts) -
Still learning about gpu's i wonder if this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121435 or possibly this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127573 would be better than getting a 6770
#147 Posted by mitu123 (153911 posts) -
Still learning about gpu's i wonder if this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121435 or possibly this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127573 would be better than getting a 67702ndWonder
They are both the same gpu but the 2nd option will run cooler(and looks like one of my 460s), and they are better than a 6770.
#148 Posted by kitty (114739 posts) -
They are both the same gpu but the 2nd option will run cooler(and looks like one of my 460s), and they are better than a 6770.mitu123
Alrighty. I might aim for one of these then. They be a bit cheaper in jan or feb, so that will help if they are.
#149 Posted by kitty (114739 posts) -
how about this =p http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121391R
#150 Posted by mitu123 (153911 posts) -

how about this =p http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121391R2ndWonder
LMAO, way better than the 550ti and cost less.

I own 2 of those bad boys.

In short, hell yes.