Xbox One S Has Slightly Better eSRAM Bandwidth, Compute Performance, And GPU TFLOPS, Can Play games Natively At 4K

• 170 results
Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#51 Flyincloud1116
Member since 2014 • 6418 Posts

@kvally said:
@flyincloud1116 said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@kvally said:
@flyincloud1116 said:

@charizard1605: According to @dynamitecop, all X1 games are now offically Multiplatform with this spec bump.

That is true, they are....and that is according to the cows too. We are finally all agreeing!

Xbox One S is still an Xbox One.

I know, and so is the Scorpio until MS says different.

Exactly! So now that we all agree that MS has stated that Windows 10 devices (PC, Xbox, Tablet) are all the same, it's a great exclusive win!

No we do not agree with the addition of Tablets and PC, but think what you like.

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#52 Flyincloud1116
Member since 2014 • 6418 Posts

@Zero_epyon said:
@kvally said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@kvally said:
@Zero_epyon said:

Indeed. As Microsoft has stated that they are all now part of the Xbox family of devices because they are all Windows 10 OS, all using using UWP, all using Xbox Live with Windows Store. Windows 10 PC = Xbox One = Xbox One S = Xbox One Scorpio. Works on all of them. Just like Playstation 4 = Playstation 4 Slim = Playstation 4 NEO. All using the same store, same OS, same PSN network.

Now we have Sony exclusive and Microsoft exclusive. This gen has turned out to be quite incredible to say the least.

Almost. Windows 10 PC is not in the same device family. They are in the Desktop Family and the Xbox Ones are in the Console family. This is where it gets tricky. Because the software platform is for desktops is different than the console platforms. So technically games that are on PC and Xbox are multiplatform. But I think for simplicity sake, it will be considered exclusive anyway.

According to Microsoft, they are all Windows 10 family of devices (they are the makers of Windows 10, Xbox One, Xbox One S, Scorpio, Surface all sharing the same OS, same DX12, same UWP, same Xbox Live). Technically, the Xbox is a PC. But if we wanted to go the route of different hardware in each, that would make the PS4 and Neo multiplatform, taking us full circle back to where we started.

If one wants to say that the Windows family devices are not exclusive, then one will say the Playstation family of devices are not exclusive. OR just the opposite, If one wants to say that the Windows family devices are exclusive, then one will say the Playstation family of devices are exclusive.

It's one or the other.

Not exactly.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/get-started/universal-application-platform-guide

Games will target a device family. Once you target multiple device families, you're going multiplatform. PS4 and Neo are in the same device family like Xbox One, Xbox One S and Scorpio are. The PC is not a console, so it's in another device family, another platform. If you want to look at it by OS only, then maybe you have a point, but MS has made this so that you're not targeting by OS, but by device family.

Rekted!

Funk21312

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 Funk21312
Member since 2014 • 242 Posts

Not touching Xbox cause of E3 2013. Sickening company.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#54 kvally
Member since 2014 • 8445 Posts

@Zero_epyon said:
@kvally said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@kvally said:
@Zero_epyon said:

Indeed. As Microsoft has stated that they are all now part of the Xbox family of devices because they are all Windows 10 OS, all using using UWP, all using Xbox Live with Windows Store. Windows 10 PC = Xbox One = Xbox One S = Xbox One Scorpio. Works on all of them. Just like Playstation 4 = Playstation 4 Slim = Playstation 4 NEO. All using the same store, same OS, same PSN network.

Now we have Sony exclusive and Microsoft exclusive. This gen has turned out to be quite incredible to say the least.

Almost. Windows 10 PC is not in the same device family. They are in the Desktop Family and the Xbox Ones are in the Console family. This is where it gets tricky. Because the software platform is for desktops is different than the console platforms. So technically games that are on PC and Xbox are multiplatform. But I think for simplicity sake, it will be considered exclusive anyway.

According to Microsoft, they are all Windows 10 family of devices (they are the makers of Windows 10, Xbox One, Xbox One S, Scorpio, Surface all sharing the same OS, same DX12, same UWP, same Xbox Live). Technically, the Xbox is a PC. But if we wanted to go the route of different hardware in each, that would make the PS4 and Neo multiplatform, taking us full circle back to where we started.

If one wants to say that the Windows family devices are not exclusive, then one will say the Playstation family of devices are not exclusive. OR just the opposite, If one wants to say that the Windows family devices are exclusive, then one will say the Playstation family of devices are exclusive.

It's one or the other.

Not exactly.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/get-started/universal-application-platform-guide

Games will target a device family. Once you target multiple device families, you're going multiplatform. PS4 and Neo are in the same device family like Xbox One, Xbox One S and Scorpio are. The PC is not a console, so it's in another device family, another platform. If you want to look at it by OS only, then maybe you have a point, but MS has made this so that you're not targeting by OS, but by device family.

I was just about to post that. It falls under the Universal Device Family of Windows 10 products.

So either Windows 10 PC's/Xbox is exclusive or multiplatform, just like Neo/PS4 is multiplatform or exclusive. Windows 10 devices have different hardware, but the same software, same online, same UWP game code. Playstation 4, Playstation 4 Slim and Playstation NEO are all Playstation devices that have different hardware, but the same software, same online, same OS game code.

So we have to choose which is which now. Is Windows 10 family of devices multiplatform or exclusive? Which ever decision you make there will be the same result for the Playstation family of devices.

All I ask is you tell us which one we all go by. We can only have one, and I don't care which one it is so long as we have one.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#55  Edited By ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

@Zero_epyon said:

I'm curious as to how a slightly higher clock makes the Xbox One S capable of producing native 4K resolutions for games. The previous clock could barely get to 1080p. Otherwise, looks like MS did a good job with this one. They finally put the power supply inside the console.

You can technically try to do that with ps4 and even xboxone if they supported 4k output. The S support that output so if one wants to try they can. Its just that the render wont be expensive on other areas, no where near the standard and very low shader load that's all.

BTW Does this give sony a chance to run away from Scorpio? lol. Market the Neo as their answer to slim/upgrade.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#56 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20105 Posts

@kvally said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@kvally said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@kvally said:

It's one or the other.

Not exactly.

I was just about to post that. It falls under the Universal Device Family of Windows 10 products.

So either Windows 10 PC's/Xbox is exclusive or multiplatform, just like Neo/PS4 is multiplatform or exclusive. Windows 10 devices have different hardware, but the same software, same online, same UWP game code. Playstation 4, Playstation 4 Slim and Playstation NEO are all Playstation devices that have different hardware, but the same software, same online, same OS game code.

So we have to choose which is which now. Is Windows 10 family of devices multiplatform or exclusive? Which ever decision you make there will be the same result for the Playstation family of devices.

All I ask is you tell us which one we all go by. We can only have one, and I don't care which one it is so long as we have one.

No. It can't fall under universal, that's not what it means. A game can't be built using Universal device family because it would mean that it a HoloLens, for example, would be able to run it. We know for sure that HoloLens is not a gaming machine. You also won't find games like Gear of War 4 playable on a Windows Phone. Instead they will be specifically targeted to device families instead of universally. Universal apps are typically apps that are platform agnostic like small tool types. Games require a bit more attention ad development than that.

The OS on Xbox is not the same Windows 10 on desktops. That's why they are in a different device family. Think of device families as platforms. So far, Sony has the PS4 and Neo in the same device family, the same platform. If they port a game to vita, PC or PS3, then the game is not in one device family anymore, making them multiplatform games. Just like if MS ports an Xbox One game to Xbox 360. The 360 is not part of the UWP.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#57 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20105 Posts

@ellos said:
@Zero_epyon said:

I'm curious as to how a slightly higher clock makes the Xbox One S capable of producing native 4K resolutions for games. The previous clock could barely get to 1080p. Otherwise, looks like MS did a good job with this one. They finally put the power supply inside the console.

You can technically try to do that with ps4 and even xboxone if they supported 4k output. The S support that output so if one wants to try they can. Its just that the render wont be expensive on other areas, no where near the standard and very low shader load that's all.

BTW Does this give sony a chance to run away from Scorpio? lol. Market the Neo as their answer to slim/upgrade.

I think they'll do their best to capitalize on the power difference between sllim and neo, but they'll be stealthy about it. They'll market VR and claim that Neo's power advantage allows for vr, something the slim won't be doing. But they'll never come out and say "We have the power!" knowing scorpio will be a year away from released.

loe12k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 loe12k
Member since 2013 • 3465 Posts

@funk21312 said:

Come on MS is far most customer friendly then Sony nowadays. MS xbox one was run by business people back then and they couldn't care less about games. Can't say that about Phil. MS giving away dlc for free, allowing games and accessories to be playable and usable for the Scorpio that not the MS of old.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 kvally

@Zero_epyon: it looks like we will have to agree to disagree. Considering they are already doing this with Windows 10 and Xbox One, it's a no brainer.

loe12k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 loe12k
Member since 2013 • 3465 Posts

Xbox one slim will not have 4k native AAA games it does not have the power for that. Indies highly likely.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#61 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9730 Posts

Digital Foundry videos about the XB1 S

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#62 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

I love the 4k upgrade. I just bought a 4k, 65" Sony. And after watching 4K, it's such a huge leap.

Of course these games weren't designed for 4k so it'll just be upscaled. But it's nice these upgrades are happening.

skektek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#63 skektek
Member since 2004 • 6530 Posts

@charizard1605 said:
@loe12k said:
@Kruiz_Bathory said:

Well hopefully we see that power put to good use and make games 1080p

Is the bump in ESRAM fast enough? The increased clock for GPU and extra teraflop performance will help with the frame rate.

I see no reason why Xbox One S variants of games can't try to achieve higher resolutions than base Xbox One versions.

Cost. Developers would have to create, test, and support an additional mode with virtually no payback.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#64 cainetao11  Online
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@TheEroica: Someone has to try to put the US first this election season. Thank you MS, and God bless our troops.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

@sonic_spark: this isn't a 4k console I wish people woukd stop saying that. It will play media in 4k. It's the exact same specs as the xbone they just over clocked the gpu and sligjhtly increased the sram bus.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 kvally

Crazy to think this is the first 4K console.

Awwwwwww yeahhhhhh

rrjim1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#67 rrjim1
Member since 2005 • 1983 Posts

It's about time to quit calling these games console, they do a lot more then just play games, more like a personal computer!

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

lol @ the notion of this potato being a "4K console". Peasants crack me up.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#69 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

@NFJSupreme said:

@sonic_spark: this isn't a 4k console I wish people woukd stop saying that. It will play media in 4k. It's the exact same specs as the xbone they just over clocked the gpu and sligjhtly increased the sram bus.

I know it's not.

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/gaming/microsoft-says-its-xbox-one-s-can-upscale-games-to-4k-1323474

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

Can play games at 4k, small letter, in your dreams.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@quadknight said:

LOL that it's still better looking and plays UHD better than PS4! Cows crack me up, especially with their suppose ownage of getting Waifu simulators from the PSVR

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@quadknight said:

You're a cow...that would make YOU a peasant as well.

Cows crack me up...PS4 can't do 4K so they're suddenly hermits hahaha

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

Just imagine if this was the console MS released a couple of years ago, they would have destroyed Sony. 20/20

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22377 Posts

I'm very happy with my Slim so far... glad I decided to swap my old one for it. And I had a little time to try a couple of games on my 4k tv, and to the naked eye they do seem a little more crisp and sharp than the old model (due to 4k upscale I'm assuming). But not a big difference of course... and movies look great too.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

@chikenfriedrice: Still butthurt that Sony owns console gaming? So sad. It's over and nothing will change that barring a massive self-inflicted mistake.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

@chikenfriedrice: ps4 is still more power and more capable

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By kingtito

@StrongBlackVine said:

@chikenfriedrice: Still butthurt that Sony owns console gaming? So sad. It's over and nothing will change that barring a massive self-inflicted mistake.

So MS is out of the console business? They're not selling anymore X1s?

Sony has the sales lead and will win as far as total sales go but owns console gaming.....hardly and ONLY a hardcore misguided cow would think so. All 3 consoles offer stuff to gamers so give it rest.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Desmonic  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

Interesting. This means also means the OG XB1 will also be worth a bit more in 10-20 years for collectors, as it's hardware setup was slightly different :P

Buy them while you can collectors!

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

@kingtito: I only meant that they are in dominant position in terms of market share, not that the other competitors are completely irrelevant or in danger of leaving the industry.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#80 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

I was expecting a negligible difference in performance, so nice to see the relatively minor boost.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

@StrongBlackVine said:

No just a hypothetical...idc who wins as long as they both are in the game. You can at least admit it would have been a different race.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Desmonic  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

@Stevo_the_gamer: Yeah, this is the best way to handle Slim revisions I think. A minor bump that doesn't force devs to actually go back and patch stuff up (think Neo or the Scorpio) but has "enough of a punch" to add some some extra frames and make things smoother on it's own.

All in all, it seems like a very nice hardware revision by MS. Pleasantly surprised tbh.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 kingtito

@StrongBlackVine said:

@kingtito: I only meant that they are in dominant position in terms of market share, not that the other competitors are completely irrelevant or in danger of leaving the industry.

Copy that

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#84 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

Cool. Comparing it to neo is silly though.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

@charizard1605: Sorry, but those small increases isn't going to take a big game like Gears and output it at native 4K. Even the Scorpio will have trouble hitting 30fps at 4K in most games.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts

Xbox One S Has Slightly Better eSRAM Bandwidth, Compute Performance, And GPU TFLOPS, Can Play games Natively At 4K

This is redundant and repetitive. It's also saying the same thing twice.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17820 Posts

its a tiny change.

i wonder can MS get the original X1 up to the same speed with a firmware update? they went a bit mad with the cooling in the first model...maybe the capacity is there to clock it up without it overheating. i know it wont be doing the whole 4K video and HDR thing but, in terms of performance, it would be nice to get it back to parity with the S. these changes really shouldnt be happening though.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#89 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

All of this stuff about the Xbox One S is kinda surprising. It makes me wonder what Scorpio is gonna be like.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

@Kruiz_Bathory said:

Well hopefully we see that power put to good use and make games 1080p

"Microsoft's Albert Panello revealed that developers also have the option to run a game at native 4K resolutions on the Xbox One S"

Negative mostly on that front. Devs CAN output to 4k, but that doesn't mean the game will run much better, if at all.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

@kingtito: You're an idiot if you actually believe your shitty FlopBox One is more powerful than PS4 and can do AAA 4K games natively. XFlop is still a weak POS compared to the PS4 and PC which I own. Cry more buthurt lem, Sony still has the most powerful console known to man and you're a lem peasant :D.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@funk21312 said:

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts

Nice enough difference for people who want the revision, and not a big enough difference for me that I could take advantage of people clearing out the old model bundles for cheap! :)

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#94 aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:

Cows crack me up, especially with their suppose ownage of getting Waifu simulators from the PSVR

Dont act like you arent jealous. We got Waifu for days

A-new-Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 A-new-Guardian
Member since 2015 • 2458 Posts

Thanks but no thanks. I'll wait for the real deal, the Scorpio.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@kvally said:

Luckily most games are already 1080p. This should help the few that are struggling to hit 1080p though.

On PS4 sure.lol

@BigShotSmoov007 said:

Hmmmm, didn't know it would do all that. MS doing good things with the slim, I hope the Neo gives more of a jump from the PS4 to that though.

It will we are talking about double the CU and faster clock speed vs just a speed bump on XBOS.

@Antwan3K said:

slight improvement but an improvement none the less.. looks like they are really going for a full relaunch of the Xbox One console.. i'd wager that they'll be phasing out the original models as stock diminishes and plan to make the Xbox One S the standard moving forward..

It looks like the strategy is to have upcoming games run at a dynamic resolution and the S consoles will maintain 1080p so consistently that it's virtually native 1080p and games with 4K assets like Gears of War 4 will render at native 4K on PC and Project Scorpio.. Using dynamic scaling for a consistent 1080p is much better than using a static 900p in terms of eliminating the PR advantage that the PS4 has enjoyed thus far.. At this point, Microsoft probably just wants to ensure there are no more "1080p vs 900p" headlines to deal with for the rest of this gen..

Well played..

That said, my decision to eventually trade in my OG Xbone for the Xbox One S just got a tad bit sweeter..

That bump is not enough for 1080p in games that are 900p or 720p on xbox one.

But it should at least warranty faster frame vs the PS4 when it is 1080p vs 900p.

The xbox one already uses dynamic scaling.

@NFJSupreme said:

Wait did he say the jump in the xbone s is the same you will see in the neo? Where did you get this bullshit article?

That is what i read to 4k buffer.? Hahaha on a that 12CU GOU which still is slower than a 7790.

Maybe at 3 frames per second.

Microsoft's Albert Panello revealed that developers also have the option to run a game at native 4K resolutions on the Xbox One S, should they wish to.

"If they want to [run at 4K], they can. As you said, if a developer had a game that could use it we are enabling 4K framebuffers, but only on Xbox One S consoles," Albert Penello, senior director of product marketing and planning at Microsoft, told Digital Foundry.

I think what he means is that the GPU it self can support 4k,rather than it will be able to run anything at 4k.

Other wise i call fud...lol

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@aigis said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:

Cows crack me up, especially with their suppose ownage of getting Waifu simulators from the PSVR

Dont act like you arent jealous. We got Waifu for days

I got a real girlfriend for days!

Sweetbackhair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#99 Sweetbackhair
Member since 2007 • 2959 Posts

I swear if this thread gets closed because of some person putting an add on here...

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@kvally said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@kvally said:
@flyincloud1116 said:

@charizard1605: According to @dynamitecop, all X1 games are now offically Multiplatform with this spec bump.

That is true, they are....and that is according to the cows too. We are finally all agreeing!

The answer is yes and no. DirectX12 and UWP will NOT shield the hardware differences between AMD and NVIDIA GPUs.

The programmer can limit themselves to remain within the common APIs, but for max performance, the programmers needs to use hardware intrinsic functions.

Doom Vulkan on AMD GPU shows that "hit-the-metal" intrinsic functions can run across a range of low to high GPU SKUs, but that's within the same GPU family.

Microsoft officially supports AMD GCN intrinsic functions on their Xbox One hardware family i.e. Xbox One, Xbox One S and Xbox Scorpio.

At the DX12 API level, there are differences between AMD and NVIDIA async compute behaviors.

For AMD PC GPUs, AMD enabled GCN intrinsic functions for DirectX11, DirectX12 and Vulkan with the release of Doom 2016 Vulkan.

Loading Video...

For NVIDIA's GPU intrinsic functions, read http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/nvidias-hit-the-metal-gpu-intrinsics-via-the-old-n-33309310/#20

https://developer.nvidia.com/unlocking-gpu-intrinsics-hlsl

None of the intrinsics are possible in standard DirectX or OpenGL. But they have been supported and well-documented in CUDA for years. A mechanism to support them in DirectX has been available for a while but not widely documented. I happen to have an old NVAPI version 343 on my system from October 2014 and the intrinsics are supported in DirectX by that version and probably earlier versions. This blog explains the mechanism for using them in DirectX.

Unlike OpenGL or Vulkan, DirectX unfortunately doesn't have a native mechanism for vendor-specific extensions. But there is still a way to make all this functionality available in DirectX 11 or 12 through custom intrinsics. That mechanism is implemented in our graphics driver and accessible through the NVAPI library.

NVAPI is part of NVIDIA's "The Way It's Meant To Be Played" program.

Further information on NVIDIA's shader intrinsics from https://developer.nvidia.com/reading-between-threads-shader-intrinsics

For a long period of time, NVAPI's details was kept secret via NDA.

"The Way It's Meant To Be Played" has been replaced by Gameworks.

Microsoft doesn't officially supports hardware intrinsic functions on Windows 10 PCs.