Xbox One S Has Slightly Better eSRAM Bandwidth, Compute Performance, And GPU TFLOPS, Can Play games Natively At 4K

• 170 results
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

The Xbox One Scorpio will be a complete overhaul of the Xbox One console hardware when it launches next year, but looks like Microsoft have already begun to incrementally improve performance of the console with the launch of the Xbox One S, the slimline redesign of the console that launches worldwide today.

As Digital Foundry reports, the Xbox One S has a GPU clock-speed of 914MHz, up from 853MHz in the original model, which is a 7.1% increase.The eSRAM sees an increase in its bandwidth accordingly to, now bumped up to 218GB/s. These enhancements and upgrades all seem to be part of an effort to make the Xbox One S capable of outputting 4K and HDR video.

"Some games (ones that utilize dynamic resolution and/or unlocked frame-rates) may see a very minor performance improvement," said Microsoft's Albert Penello, senior director of product management and planning to Eurogamer. "Our testing internally has shown this to be pretty minor, and is only measurable on certain games, so we didn't want to make it a 'selling point' for the new console."

Which is admirable, but I honestly think it would have been fine had they done it- especially since it almost sounds now like the Xbox One S is the kind of incremental upgrade on the original system that the PS4 NEO promises to be for the PS4, while the Scorpio seems to be a complete overhaul- almost a generational leap.

The Xbox One S appears to already be selling out, so it seems like there will be a lot of box One owners who will have access to the improved and boosted performance that it offers.

Although Microsoft maintains that the spec increase in Xbox One S is marginal, and mostly for video playback support at UHD, HDR, and 4K resolutions, Microsoft's Albert Panello revealed that developers also have the option to run a game at native 4K resolutions on the Xbox One S, should they wish to.

"If they want to [run at 4K], they can. As you said, if a developer had a game that could use it we are enabling 4K framebuffers, but only on Xbox One S consoles," Albert Penello, senior director of product marketing and planning at Microsoft, told Digital Foundry.

So, it sounds like the Xbox One S is actually basically a full fledged incremental bump for the console and its specs, as opposed to being just a simple slimmer, aesthetic revision of the console.

Well. It almost seems like the Xbox One S is more comparable to the PS4 NEO than the average slimline revision for a console, what with its incremental spec bumps and everything- and that the Scorpio, when it launches, will be a more dramatic and thorough revision/step up.

Kruiz_Bathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#2  Edited By Kruiz_Bathory
Member since 2009 • 4765 Posts

Well hopefully we see that power put to good use and make games 1080p

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22545 Posts

Nice work MS. A proper slim.

loe12k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 loe12k
Member since 2013 • 3465 Posts

Just posted a thread just close mine if you don't mind, keep the discussion in one place!

loe12k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 loe12k

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 43933 Posts

MS you sly dawgs, guess you learned your lesson from the mistakes made earlier this gen. Sounds sweet but still, Scorpio baby, that's what I want.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@TheEroica said:

Yeah, it seems to be a very good revision. Can't give them any hate on this one.

loe12k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 loe12k

@Kruiz_Bathory said:

Is the bump in ESRAM fast enough? The increased clock for GPU and extra teraflop performance will help with the frame rate.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60681 Posts

If I didn't have the Halo 5 console, I may have gotten one of these, but I'll wait for Scorpio.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@loe12k said:
@Kruiz_Bathory said:

Is the bump in ESRAM fast enough? The increased clock for GPU and extra teraflop performance will help with the frame rate.

Presuming developers continue to prioritize resolution over framerate, I see no reason why Xbox One S variants of games can't try to achieve higher resolutions than base Xbox One versions. That said, I cannot say if the spec bump is big enough to achieve a consistent 1080p.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

@charizard1605 said:
@TheEroica said:

Yeah, it seems to be a very good revision. Can't give them any hate on this one.

Oh yes I can. :P Since they wont give me a proper trade for my old Xbone. Nope, I have to take like $150 or less (since I don't have Kinect with it) on a trade in from Gamestop.

All this if I don't want new games on the system running poorly. Dunno if it's worth it or not. :(

loe12k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 loe12k

Thats not bad jump when devs have not touched the game to increase performance on the S

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Bigboi500 said:
@charizard1605 said:
@TheEroica said:

Oh yes I can. :P Since they wont give me a proper trade for my old Xbone. Nope, I have to take like $150 or less (since I don't have Kinect with it) on a trade in from Gamestop.

All this if I don't want new games on the system running poorly. Dunno if it's worth it or not. :(

Technically, that's not MS's fault, that's the retailers :P

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

@charizard1605 said:
@Bigboi500 said:
@charizard1605 said:
@TheEroica said:

Technically, that's not MS's fault, that's the retailers :P

Nope. Micro's fault for not getting it right the first damn time!!!!!!!!!! :P

loe12k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 loe12k

@charizard1605 said:
@loe12k said:
@Kruiz_Bathory said:

Presuming developers continue to prioritize resolution over framerate, I see no reason why Xbox One S variants of games can't try to achieve higher resolutions than base Xbox One versions. That said, I cannot say if the spec bump is big enough to achieve a consistent 1080p.

We have to wait and see the difference between third party games? I just want to see what games look like at 4k upscaled HDR compared to the standard 1080p. Gears 4 will be 1080p native game, what is the difference with 4K upscaled and HDR applied?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 45996 Posts

@charizard1605 said:
@loe12k said:
@Kruiz_Bathory said:

Even if it was, I doubt any developers would bother making seperate Xbone and Xbone S versions of games.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

@TheEroica said:

Avatar image for deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
deactivated-58abb194ab6fb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
Member since 2010 • 3984 Posts

Hmmmm, didn't know it would do all that. MS doing good things with the slim, I hope the Neo gives more of a jump from the PS4 to that though.

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#19 Flyincloud1116
Member since 2014 • 6418 Posts

@charizard1605: According to @dynamitecop, all X1 games are now offically Multiplatform with this spec bump.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#20 kvally
Member since 2014 • 8445 Posts

@Kruiz_Bathory said:

Luckily most games are already 1080p. This should help the few that are struggling to hit 1080p though.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

I thought Phillip said NAH to all of those things?

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

Its faster because they over clocked the gpu but the pweformance gains are minimal at best

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Antwan3K  Online
Member since 2005 • 7987 Posts

slight improvement but an improvement none the less.. looks like they are really going for a full relaunch of the Xbox One console.. i'd wager that they'll be phasing out the original models as stock diminishes and plan to make the Xbox One S the standard moving forward..

It looks like the strategy is to have upcoming games run at a dynamic resolution and the S consoles will maintain 1080p so consistently that it's virtually native 1080p and games with 4K assets like Gears of War 4 will render at native 4K on PC and Project Scorpio.. Using dynamic scaling for a consistent 1080p is much better than using a static 900p in terms of eliminating the PR advantage that the PS4 has enjoyed thus far.. At this point, Microsoft probably just wants to ensure there are no more "1080p vs 900p" headlines to deal with for the rest of this gen..

Well played..

That said, my decision to eventually trade in my OG Xbone for the Xbox One S just got a tad bit sweeter..

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 43933 Posts

@Antwan3K:

I've been saying I'll just hang with my OGX1 but yep, I'm getting that feeling I may just buy the S on a whim now. We'll see.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

Wait did he say the jump in the xbone s is the same you will see in the neo? Where did you get this bullshit article?

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

I'll just wait for the Scorpio and ill sell the PS4 for a Neo.

That being said... I don't see much of a point in doing so as Windows gets pretty much all the X1 exclusives and my system pretty much destroys all consoles.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 kvally

@flyincloud1116 said:

@charizard1605: According to @dynamitecop, all X1 games are now offically Multiplatform with this spec bump.

That is true, they are....and that is according to the cows too. We are finally all agreeing!

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#28 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

Interesting thanks for the info

Sweetbackhair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29 Sweetbackhair
Member since 2007 • 2959 Posts

I was going to wait till next week to get the slim, but these threads aren't helping!

Should we just have one major Xbox One S thread as a sticky at this rate?

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

yay now my games will run at ~%5 better frame rates

that's hardly an upgrade

Kruiz_Bathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Kruiz_Bathory

@kvally: yes and give them a decent framerate.

1080p 60fps console baby.

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Flyincloud1116

@kvally said:
@flyincloud1116 said:

That is true, they are....and that is according to the cows too. We are finally all agreeing!

Link?

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 kvally

@Kruiz_Bathory said:

@kvally: yes and give them a decent framerate.

1080p 60fps console baby.

4k and 120fps or GET OUT!!!

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20095 Posts

I'm curious as to how a slightly higher clock makes the Xbox One S capable of producing native 4K resolutions for games. The previous clock could barely get to 1080p. Otherwise, looks like MS did a good job with this one. They finally put the power supply inside the console.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Antwan3K  Online

@SecretPolice said:

@Antwan3K:

I've been saying I'll just hang with my OGX1 but yep, I'm getting that feeling I may just buy the S on a whim now. We'll see.

I'm pretty sure I saw an article saying that Gamestop is going to offer $200 for Xbox One trade-ins towards Xbox One S until the end of August.. Since the $299 version releases on the 23rd, I'll likely pull the trigger then.. I'd also imagine that the Xbox One S will carry a better trade-in towards Project Scorpio than the OG Xbox One, so hopefully I can make up the difference there while enjoying the slight performance boost in the meantime and being able to buy a 4KTV anytime in the near future, knowing that i'll get to see the early benefits of 4K HDR gaming until the Scorpio arrives..

chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 chikenfriedrice

@Antwan3K said:
@SecretPolice said:

@Antwan3K:

I'm pretty sure I saw an article saying that Gamestop is going to offer $200 for Xbox One trade-ins towards Xbox One S until the end of August.. Since the $299 version releases on the 23rd, I'll likely pull the trigger then.. I'd also imagine that the Xbox One S will carry a better trade-in towards Project Scorpio than the OG Xbox One, so hopefully I can make up the difference there while enjoying the slight performance boost in the meantime and being able to buy a 4KTV anytime in the near future, knowing that i'll get to see the early benefits of 4K HDR gaming until the Scorpio arrives..

I think it's only $150 for a 1TB XB1....but you can trade in a PS4 and get $200.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts
  • Smaller size
  • No external power brick ! ( thank God, that thing caused me nightmares about where or how to place it )
  • Quiet as the original ( not lousy noise like my purchased at launch PS4 )
  • Capable of standing vertically ( doesn´t matter much to me )
  • USB port ON THE GODDAM FRONT ! ( I don´t know who had the "bright" idea to place it on the side in the X1 fat )
  • Several HDD sizes available

Pretty much everything I wanted, for those stuck with Kinect must be a real bummer that you have to pay friggin 40 bucks for the adapter, unfortunately this demonstrates pretty much that Kinect is really dead.

Oh boy, here I am rubbing my hands waiting for my GOW X1 to arrive..... I bet I can get a couple hundreds if I sell my old one ( no trade-in deals where I live ).

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 kvally

@flyincloud1116 said:
@kvally said:
@flyincloud1116 said:

Link?

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Zero_epyon

@kvally said:
@flyincloud1116 said:

Xbox One S is still an Xbox One.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Antwan3K  Online

@chikenfriedrice said:
@Antwan3K said:
@SecretPolice said:

@Antwan3K:

I think it's only $150 for a 1TB XB1....but you can trade in a PS4 and get $200.

Oh ok, thanks

chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 chikenfriedrice

@raugutcon said:
  • Smaller size
  • No external power brick ! ( thank God, that thing caused me nightmares about where or how to place it )
  • Quiet as the original ( not lousy noise like my purchased at launch PS4 )
  • Capable of standing vertically ( doesn´t matter much to me )
  • USB port ON THE GODDAM FRONT ! ( I don´t know who had the "bright" idea to place it on the side in the X1 fat )
  • Several HDD sizes available

Pretty much everything I wanted, for those stuck with Kinect must be a real bummer that you have to pay friggin 40 bucks for the adapter, unfortunately this demonstrates pretty much that Kinect is really dead.

Oh boy, here I am rubbing my hands waiting for my GOW X1 to arrive..... I bet I can get a couple hundreds if I sell my old one ( no trade-in deals where I live ).

OG owners get the adapter for free.

Kruiz_Bathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Kruiz_Bathory

@kvally: oi, that sounds like ps3 PR back in the day lmao.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 kvally

@Zero_epyon said:
@kvally said:
@flyincloud1116 said:

Indeed. As Microsoft has stated that they are all now part of the Xbox family of devices because they are all Windows 10 OS, all using using UWP, all using Xbox Live with Windows Store. Windows 10 PC = Xbox One = Xbox One S = Xbox One Scorpio. Works on all of them. Just like Playstation 4 = Playstation 4 Slim = Playstation 4 NEO. All using the same store, same OS, same PSN network.

Now we have Sony exclusive and Microsoft exclusive. This gen has turned out to be quite incredible to say the least.

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Flyincloud1116

@Zero_epyon said:
@kvally said:
@flyincloud1116 said:

I know, and so is the Scorpio until MS says different.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 kvally

@flyincloud1116 said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@kvally said:
@flyincloud1116 said:

I know, and so is the Scorpio until MS says different.

Exactly! So now that we all agree that MS has stated that Windows 10 devices (PC, Xbox, Tablet) are all the same, it's a great exclusive win!

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Zero_epyon

@kvally said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@kvally said:
@flyincloud1116 said:

Indeed. As Microsoft has stated that they are all now part of the Xbox family of devices because they are all Windows 10 OS, all using using UWP, all using Xbox Live with Windows Store. Windows 10 PC = Xbox One = Xbox One S = Xbox One Scorpio. Works on all of them. Just like Playstation 4 = Playstation 4 Slim = Playstation 4 NEO. All using the same store, same OS, same PSN network.

Now we have Sony exclusive and Microsoft exclusive. This gen has turned out to be quite incredible to say the least.

Almost. Windows 10 PC is not in the same device family. They are in the Desktop Family and the Xbox Ones are in the Console family. This is where it gets tricky. Because the software platform is for desktops is different than the console platforms. So technically games that are on PC and Xbox are multiplatform. But I think for simplicity sake, it will be considered exclusive anyway.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#48  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19379 Posts

Looking at the specs, it looks like:

Xbox Scorpio > PS4 Neo > PS4 > Xbox One S > Xbox One

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By kvally

@Zero_epyon said:
@kvally said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@kvally said:

Almost. Windows 10 PC is not in the same device family. They are in the Desktop Family and the Xbox Ones are in the Console family. This is where it gets tricky. Because the software platform is for desktops is different than the console platforms. So technically games that are on PC and Xbox are multiplatform. But I think for simplicity sake, it will be considered exclusive anyway.

According to Microsoft, they are all Windows 10 family of devices (they are the makers of Windows 10, Xbox One, Xbox One S, Scorpio, Surface all sharing the same OS, same DX12, same UWP, same Xbox Live). Technically, the Xbox is a PC. But if we wanted to go the route of different hardware in each, that would make the PS4 and Neo multiplatform, taking us full circle back to where we started.

If one wants to say that the Windows family devices are not exclusive, then one will say the Playstation family of devices are not exclusive. OR just the opposite, If one wants to say that the Windows family devices are exclusive, then one will say the Playstation family of devices are exclusive.

It's one or the other.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Zero_epyon

@kvally said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@kvally said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@kvally said:

According to Microsoft, they are all Windows 10 family of devices (they are the makers of Windows 10, Xbox One, Xbox One S, Scorpio, Surface all sharing the same OS, same DX12, same UWP, same Xbox Live). Technically, the Xbox is a PC. But if we wanted to go the route of different hardware in each, that would make the PS4 and Neo multiplatform, taking us full circle back to where we started.

If one wants to say that the Windows family devices are not exclusive, then one will say the Playstation family of devices are not exclusive. OR just the opposite, If one wants to say that the Windows family devices are exclusive, then one will say the Playstation family of devices are exclusive.

It's one or the other.

Not exactly.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/get-started/universal-application-platform-guide

Games will target a device family. Once you target multiple device families, you're going multiplatform. PS4 and Neo are in the same device family like Xbox One, Xbox One S and Scorpio are. The PC is not a console, so it's in another device family, another platform. If you want to look at it by OS only, then maybe you have a point, but MS has made this so that you're not targeting by OS, but by device family.