Xbox One S Has Slightly Better eSRAM Bandwidth, Compute Performance, And GPU TFLOPS, Can Play games Natively At 4K

• 170 results
ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#151  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@scrollinglayers said:

Xbox One S wouldn't be able to do native 4K games any better than the normal PS4, actually less so because:

Xbox One GPU: 1.3 TFLOPs and 13.6 Billion pixels/sec fillrate (16 ROPs * 853 MHz)

XBox One S: 1.4 TFLOPs and 14.6 billion pixels/sec fillrate (16 ROPs * 914 MHz)

PS4 GPU: 1.8 TFLOPs and 25.6 billion pixels/sec fillrate (32 ROPs * 800 MHz

People almost never mention pixel fillrate anymore, just TFLOPs. Even though fillrate is not as important as it used to be (shader ops took over), you still need much higher pixels/sec to render at native 4K (or any res) with a decent framerate while at least maintaining the same level of graphical fidelity. The lower pixel fillrate on original Xbox One is one of the main reasons many of its games were sub-1080p (900p, 720p) while the PS4 versions were 1080p

Microsoft never said Xbox One S would do games at 4K, only HDR in games, and 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray movies and streaming video.

They have a console specifically for native 4K games, it's called Project Scorpio, for Holiday 2017.

1920x1080p vs 1600x900p points to ESRAM storage limitation (without tiling) or shader power difference.

XBO's 16 ROPS limitation with 8 to 16 bit datatypes are mitigated by compute mode TMU workarounds.

With 32 bit datatype, both 16 ROPS and 32 ROPS are memory bandwidth limited.

XBO's 16 ROPS limitation can be workaround, but shader power difference can not be workaround.

---------------

For Scorpio... Let say it's 1310 Mhz with 36 CU for 6 TFLOPS

For 32bit datatype, 1300 Mhz x 16 ROPS x 16 bytes = 332 GB/s. Another 16 ROPS cluster wasted for 32bit datatype, but fine for 16 bit datatype.

For 16bit datatype, 1300 Mhz x 32 ROPS x 8 bytes = 332 GB/s.

Based on Polaris' effective memory bandwidth which includes memory compression, Scorpio has 330 GB/s effective memory bandwidth.

For 32bit datatype, 1300 Mhz x 32 ROPS x 16 bytes = 664 GB/s.

Where's that 1 TB/s HBMv2...

---------------

For NEO... Let say it's 911 Mhz with 36 CU for 4.2 TFLOPS

For 32bit datatype, 911 Mhz x 16 ROPS x 16 bytes = 233 GB/s Another 16 ROPS cluster wasted for 32bit datatype, but fine for 16 bit datatype.

For 16bit datatype, 911 Mhz x 32 ROPS x 8 bytes = 233 GB/s.

Based on Polaris' effective memory bandwidth which includes memory compression, NEO has 225 GB/s effective memory bandwidth.

For 32bit datatype, 911 Mhz x 32 ROPS x 16 bytes = 466 GB/s.

Higher 32bit datatype usage can be associated with PC's max detail settings, hence effective memory bandwidth play a higher role with frame rate results.

AMD needs another memory compression revision to reduce thier GPU's higher FLOPS being gimped by memory bandwidth issues.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#153  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13665 Posts

@ronvalencia said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

Don't know, did PS4 owners lose all exclusives and console concept too? Everything MS can do to make the original Xbox One more and more redundant, they're doing. MS had early adopters pay for their mistakes. And that expensive high tech camera that turned into an ornament, that was a highlight.

Don't think that's the same with the PS4. PS4 owners trusted what they were getting and got it. What's the worst that happened to PS4 owners, slight price drops over the years? Xbox One owners got heavy price drops within months.

This is just the latest layer of crap on top of MSs mistake of a console.

If someone got an Xbox One recently, that's not a problem, because they knew the deal. This PS4 wannabe is no where near the console early adopters bought.

From https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSYBO1BrB1I

The above screenshot was from Ubisoft's financials and they are mostly multi platform games i.e. XBO revenue beats PC. This is one of the reasons why MS doesn't fear PC and XBO sharing MS exclusives. Like MS Surface tablets, MS will keep selling XBO hardware.

That's awesome. I'm sure that's what's best for them, not what's best for me though. Still need exclusives to justify having the console, otherwise should have gone with the PS4. Would have saved some money and still had the games.

Avatar image for scrollinglayers
ScrollingLayers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#154 ScrollingLayers
Member since 2015 • 632 Posts

My understanding is that Xbox One S will upscale games to 4K, whether they are native 1080p, 720p, 900p or some other odd resolution.

However no Xbox One game run on the new S model is going to use a native 3840 x 2160p framebuffer. That would be insane given the hardware.

Xbox Project Scorpio will be capable of 3840 x 2160p (native 4K), and to a lesser extent, PS4 NEO.

We'll probably see games that have modest graphics on NEO in 2160p, but most will be at a native resolution lower than that, with 1080p being the bare minimum.

lockjaw333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 lockjaw333
Member since 2003 • 1743 Posts

@Zero_epyon said:

I'm curious as to how a slightly higher clock makes the Xbox One S capable of producing native 4K resolutions for games. The previous clock could barely get to 1080p. Otherwise, looks like MS did a good job with this one. They finally put the power supply inside the console.

It can't. There is no game the One S would be able to run at native 4K. Its all upscaling.

Its a nice little bump from a GPU overclock, nothing more. Still nice to see, they could have not touched the GPU at all for the slim revision.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#156  Edited By Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20105 Posts

@lockjaw333 said:
@Zero_epyon said:

I'm curious as to how a slightly higher clock makes the Xbox One S capable of producing native 4K resolutions for games. The previous clock could barely get to 1080p. Otherwise, looks like MS did a good job with this one. They finally put the power supply inside the console.

It can't. There is no game the One S would be able to run at native 4K. Its all upscaling.

Its a nice little bump from a GPU overclock, nothing more. Still nice to see, they could have not touched the GPU at all for the slim revision.

Right at best it's upscaled, but they claimed they can do native. I agree though, it's better than nothing.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7704 Posts

@Zero_epyon said:
@lockjaw333 said:
@Zero_epyon said:

Right at best it's upscaled, but they claimed they can do native. I agree though, it's better than nothing.

They just enabled 4K support, doesn't mean any modern with even half demanding graphics would run on native 4K, it's just a possibility and needed for 4k blu-ray.

Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 Tessellation
Member since 2009 • 9297 Posts

Upscaled 4K game they meant.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

@Tessellation said:

Upscaled 4K game they meant.

not this basement dweller again

NUSNA_Moebius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#160 NUSNA_Moebius
Member since 2014 • 118 Posts

I think they should've bumped the GPU clock further, closer to 1 GHz. FPS dips are still a problem with such a small speed bump in the S.

Spitfire-Six

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#161 Spitfire-Six
Member since 2014 • 1378 Posts

@Zero_epyon said:
@lockjaw333 said:
@Zero_epyon said:

When they say that they are talking about games like No time to explain or mainly 2d indie games. You could technically set the framebuffer to a native 4k and the xbox one s will be able to output 4k. They are not expecting or talking about games that are more GPU intensive nor are they talking about AAA games.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#162  Edited By Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20105 Posts

@spitfire-six said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@lockjaw333 said:
@Zero_epyon said:

When they say that they are talking about games like No time to explain or mainly 2d indie games. You could technically set the framebuffer to a native 4k and the xbox one s will be able to output 4k. They are not expecting or talking about games that are more GPU intensive nor are they talking about AAA games.

ok I understand.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By ronvalencia

@HalcyonScarlet said:
@ronvalencia said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

Don't know, did PS4 owners lose all exclusives and console concept too? Everything MS can do to make the original Xbox One more and more redundant, they're doing. MS had early adopters pay for their mistakes. And that expensive high tech camera that turned into an ornament, that was a highlight.

Don't think that's the same with the PS4. PS4 owners trusted what they were getting and got it. What's the worst that happened to PS4 owners, slight price drops over the years? Xbox One owners got heavy price drops within months.

This is just the latest layer of crap on top of MSs mistake of a console.

If someone got an Xbox One recently, that's not a problem, because they knew the deal. This PS4 wannabe is no where near the console early adopters bought.

From https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSYBO1BrB1I

The above screenshot was from Ubisoft's financials and they are mostly multi platform games i.e. XBO revenue beats PC. This is one of the reasons why MS doesn't fear PC and XBO sharing MS exclusives. Like MS Surface tablets, MS will keep selling XBO hardware.

That's awesome. I'm sure that's what's best for them, not what's best for me though. Still need exclusives to justify having the console, otherwise should have gone with the PS4. Would have saved some money and still had the games.

Users with just Wintel PC tablet (i.e. Surface Pro 4 like products) and Xbox One would be fine.

From https://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Surface-+-Xbox-One-Bundle-for-Students/productID.5057679600

MS sells Surface Pro 4 tablet/ultrabook hybrid + XBO S bundles for students

Next year's potential bundle would be Surface Pro 5 and Xbox Scorpio.

EG101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 EG101
Member since 2007 • 2091 Posts

I don't understand why MS didn't up the clock on the GPU all the way up to 1.2 Gigahertz. This would have theoretically closed the gap between the original PS4 and XB1. XBOX Software that uses dynamic resolutions would automatically detect the free resources and improve fps and iq accordingly. I think this was a missed opportunity by MS.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7704 Posts

@EG101 said:

I don't understand why MS didn't up the clock on the GPU all the way up to 1.2 Gigahertz. This would have theoretically closed the gap between the original PS4 and XB1. XBOX Software that uses dynamic resolutions would automatically detect the free resources and improve fps and iq accordingly. I think this was a missed opportunity by MS.

it's still a lower tier chip and you can't just pump what ever clocks you want

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By ronvalencia
@EG101 said:

It seems sync'ed locked ESRAM would be the main problem for higher GPU clock speed i.e. would ESRAM survive 1.2 Ghz clock speed?

Avatar image for deactivated-5eb6f92daae05
deactivated-5eb6f92daae05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 deactivated-5eb6f92daae05
Member since 2015 • 916 Posts

@silversix_ said:

ronvalencia, do you even play video games? I always see you post a metric fuckton of benchmarks n other nerdy shiz but never heard a single of your opinions about any games ever released.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 dynamitecop
Member since 2004 • 6395 Posts

@EG101 said:

A 400Mhz overclock lol? Are you mad...

Avatar image for deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
deactivated-58abb194ab6fb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
Member since 2010 • 3984 Posts

@kinky-unikorn said:
@silversix_ said:

ronvalencia, do you even play video games? I always see you post a metric fuckton of benchmarks n other nerdy shiz but never heard a single of your opinions about any games ever released.

LOL SMH....damn shame. I"m sure a lot of these so called "gamers" in here don't even play anything.

EG101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 EG101
Member since 2007 • 2091 Posts

@dynamitecop said:
@EG101 said:

IMO, MS missed the opportunity to close the gap with the original PS4 with the launch of the XB1S. If they needed to add more CU's then that would have been ok too. Games with variable res would have noticed the extra resources and used them. That's all the Madness inside of me would have done if I were head of Xbox.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By ronvalencia

@EG101 said:
@dynamitecop said:
@EG101 said:

IMO, MS missed the opportunity to close the gap with the original PS4 with the launch of the XB1S. If they needed to add more CU's then that would have been ok too. Games with variable res would have noticed the extra resources and used them. That's all the Madness inside of me would have done if I were head of Xbox.

Increasing GPU's clock speed also increases ESRAM's clock speed and not all parts can tolerate higher clock speed.