Xbox Live: Why am I being forced to pay, to play games online?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RECON64bit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 RECON64bit
Member since 2008 • 640 Posts

I really do not understand why I am being charged to play video games online. I understand Xbox Live has other features that we have to pay for but, I have no use for ESPN or facebook on Xbox 360. The only thing I want to do is play online, I couldn't care less about these extra feautures or Xbox live parties. Why can't online be free except foreverything else like Parties, ESPN and all the other useless garbage. I see no justification for raising the price either.

I've already invested a lot in the Xbox so I'm not gonna sell it, but I definately won't be getting their next console if they continue with this practice.

What is Microsoft's justification for charging me to play video games online?

Also this is on system wars because i'm pretty sure a post like this on Xbox forums would get me reported, and/or banned.

Mrmccormo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Mrmccormo
Member since 2011 • 870 Posts

You are being charged because you insist on owning a 360. Switch to PC or PS3 and the cost will vanish.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
Because MS said so.
soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts
Because MS said so.MonsieurX
Pretty much this and I doubt it will stop next gen.
dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts
[QUOTE="RECON64bit"]

I really do not understand why I am being charged to play video games online. I understand Xbox Live has other features that we have to pay for but, I have no use for ESPN or facebook on Xbox 360. The only thing I want to do is play online, I couldn't care less about these extra feautures or Xbox live parties. Why can't online be free except foreverything else like Parties, ESPN and all the other useless garbage. I see no justification for raising the price either.

I've already invested a lot in the Xbox so I'm not gonna sell it, but I definately won't be getting their next console if they continue with this practice.

Also this is on system wars because i'm pretty sure a post like this on Xbox forums would get me reported, and/or banned.

They charge because people continue to pay. If they stopped paying, MS would rescind the charge. My Live ran out in Dec and I don't plan on renewing it any time soon.
Ultra_Combo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Ultra_Combo
Member since 2009 • 1494 Posts

Doesn't this get old, your not being "forced" to do anything, leave go play Ps3 or PC.

Ultra_Combo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Ultra_Combo

[QUOTE="RECON64bit"]

dommeus

They charge because people continue to pay. If they stopped paying, MS would rescind the charge. My Live ran out in Dec and I don't plan on renewing it any time soon.

What what do you mean your not renewing , your forced to :roll: /thread

RECON64bit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 RECON64bit

[QUOTE="dommeus"][QUOTE="RECON64bit"]

Ultra_Combo

Well if I want to play Xbox 360 games online then I have no choice but to pay, so I am being forced aren't I?

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
Because MS said so.MonsieurX
No, because Stone Cold said so. Redundant thread is redundant.
dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts
[QUOTE="Ultra_Combo"]

[QUOTE="dommeus"][QUOTE="RECON64bit"]

Lol wut?
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

The 360 has become bad for gaming. Yep I said it. I also own one but I refuse to pay for Live Gold and I refuse to buy their casual Kinect system.

Just stop supporting the company and stop buying games for the 360 and switch to the PC or PS3 for playing the same games.

Ultra_Combo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Ultra_Combo

[QUOTE="Ultra_Combo"]

[QUOTE="dommeus"] They charge because people continue to pay. If they stopped paying, MS would rescind the charge. My Live ran out in Dec and I don't plan on renewing it any time soon.RECON64bit

Well if I want to play Xbox 360 games online then I have no choice but to pay, so I am being forced aren't I?

Well you should have done some research then, it clearly says on the xbox that xbox live is required to play multiplayer. The information about the costs of xbox live are readily available. Oh wait let me guess your the the type of peson that buys expensive products without any research and now it's MS fault becuase they tricked you right.

RECON64bit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 RECON64bit

[QUOTE="RECON64bit"]

[QUOTE="Ultra_Combo"]

Ultra_Combo

Well you should have done some research then, it clearly says on the xbox that xbox live is required to play multiplayer. The information about the costs of xbox live are readily available. Oh wait let me guess your the the type of peson that buys expensive products without any research and now it's MS fault becuase they tricked you right.

I already knew Xbox Live wasn't free. But I thought the price was justified by it's features. Now, that I have used Xbox Live it isn't much better than PSN in terms of just playing games online, which is all I want to do.

Well I guess I'll just stick to single players games after my Live runs up, since I got the Xbox at first for games like Mass Effect.

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts

You are being charged because you insist on owning a 360.

Mrmccormo

This. 360 isn't the only device on the planet capable of playing video games. Use one that doesn't charge if you hate it so much.

Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#15 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
Well, they charge because M$ saw ppl are willing to pay for it. If ppl didn't pay for it then Microsoft wouldn't charge for Xbox Live.
Ultra_Combo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Ultra_Combo

[QUOTE="Ultra_Combo"]

[QUOTE="RECON64bit"]

RECON64bit

I already knew Xbox Live wasn't free. But I thought the price was justified by it's features. Now, that I have used Xbox Live it isn't much better than PSN in terms of just playing games online, which is all I want to do.

Well I guess I'll just stick to single players games after my Live runs up, since I got the Xbox at first for games like Mass Effect.

Cool play single player on 360 and Multi on PS3 but I quoted you becuase you insinuated your forced to pay to get live when in fact your not.

Avatar image for Raymundo_Manuel
Raymundo_Manuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Raymundo_Manuel
Member since 2010 • 4641 Posts

You are being charged because you insist on owning a 360. Switch to PC or PS3 and the cost will vanish.

Mrmccormo

The way the world works right here.

Mr_Ditters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#18 Mr_Ditters
Member since 2008 • 1920 Posts

Its because MS knew that people wouldnt know any better. They would just want a 360 sooo bad that they would have to pay for online if they demanded it.

People keep blaming the decline of the video gaming industry on all sorts of things. Blame little kids. Little kids will convince their parents to pay anything for what they want, no matter how absurd it it.

Little kids are the reason for all money grabbing decisions being made by gaming companies right now because little kids "gotta have it!"

theuncharted34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 theuncharted34
Member since 2010 • 14529 Posts

I would be completely amazed if you didn't know about the online fee's when you purchased your 360.

Yes, xbox live costs are one of the things that kept me from buying one. Everybody know's it's a rip, we don't need these threads.

gamer620

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 gamer620
Member since 2004 • 3367 Posts
[QUOTE="RECON64bit"]

[QUOTE="Ultra_Combo"]

They charge because people continue to pay. If they stopped paying, MS would rescind the charge. My Live ran out in Dec and I don't plan on renewing it any time soon.dommeus

No, you aren't being forced because you WANT to play. A want is not a necessity, thus you aren't forced to do it. Now if you are addicted to your 360 and its online than in that case its a need which in turn is forcing you to pay.
Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts

Because the cost would increase if people only payed for the extra live services like FB etc. most people want to play online, and will happily pay for the ability to do so within the xbox environment. If you don't want to, fine, go do something else.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16542 Posts

Well, they charge because M$ saw ppl are willing to pay for it. If ppl didn't pay for it then Microsoft wouldn't charge for Xbox Live. Miroku32

you say that so easily but 13 million people are willing to pay for it, so theres no way they will stop charging for xbox live if one person stopped buying gold

gamer-adam1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 gamer-adam1
Member since 2008 • 4188 Posts

[QUOTE="Ultra_Combo"]

[QUOTE="RECON64bit"]

RECON64bit

usually if theres a subscription to a service, its because there is lots going on in the back grounds, which there is. MS didnt trick anyone, MS made consoles online gaming what it is today, it probably wouldnt of gotten this far if it was free, and arcade section would be alot worse off, and who knows if there would even be any indie games.

Avatar image for GreenGoblin2099
GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 GreenGoblin2099
Member since 2004 • 16988 Posts

Mrmccormo

Aaaaaaaaaand this guy tells the truth.

CoolSkAGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 CoolSkAGuy
Member since 2006 • 9665 Posts
Because I didn't have a PS3 or a capable PC. Now I do :oops:. Im done with paying for online. The price raise actually set my decision in stone.
Funconsole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Funconsole
Member since 2009 • 3223 Posts
You're about 9 years too late bud.

Mrmccormo
Yay for free advertisement! :roll:
poseidonwest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 poseidonwest
Member since 2010 • 675 Posts

No one's forcing you to pay. It was your decisions to buy a 360 and play online. Either get another system or stop playing online.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts
You should have known about being charged online before you bought the product. I blame consumer ignorance.
Afrikanxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Afrikanxl
Member since 2006 • 1112 Posts

instead of giving Microsoft $60+ to play mostly peer to peer online games....you can use that money on games from services like Gamefly ($8.99) or OnLive ($9.99). You would get games to play as long as you like....which you would be able to play for free online on a PS3 or PC.

if you have the money, Gaming PC + PS3 is a great combination.

if you don't want to/can't build a Gaming PC...imo... PS3 + OnLive is a great cheap combination.

of course if it is possible for you to own all the systems, even better...but most can't.

FIipMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#30 FIipMode
Member since 2009 • 10850 Posts

"Why am I", or "Why do ____ do this", or "Why does ____ have that" people who make these threads almost always know the answer and made the thread purely to create a buzz.

If you hate paying, buy any another system, because they all have online without a price.

windsquid9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 windsquid9000
Member since 2009 • 3206 Posts

It is for this reason that I refuse to buy a 360. I'm not going to buy games with features locked away nor will I pay $60 a month for basic online multiplayer.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts
You should have known about being charged online before you bought the product. I blame consumer ignorance.DragonfireXZ95
exactly what im thinking. Alot of people should take the time to research before buying any type of hardware.
Deathtransit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Deathtransit
Member since 2007 • 3086 Posts

The 360 has become bad for gaming. Yep I said it. I also own one but I refuse to pay for Live Gold and I refuse to buy their casual Kinect system.

Just stop supporting the company and stop buying games for the 360 and switch to the PC or PS3 for playing the same games.

Bigboi500
You used to be a big 360 supporter didn't you?
ArchonOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#34 ArchonOver
Member since 2010 • 1103 Posts

Just switch over to PC. STEEEEAM.

Deathtransit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Deathtransit
Member since 2007 • 3086 Posts

It is for this reason that I refuse to buy a 360. I'm not going to buy games with features locked away nor will I pay $60 a month for basic online multiplayer.

windsquid9000
I do hate that I pay for a game and I can't play the whole thing I already payed for.
blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

RECON64bit
Their justification is to make a profit and keeps the servers that hold all the content up, running and available 24/7 for you to use. Sure PSN is free and that's why Sony continues to lose money from it on a daily basis. Sony actually pays a network vendor to keep PSN up and running. Sony doesn't regulate the various servers you play on. So if you can't play online and the server is owned buy the publisher, Sony can't help you. Also, these dedicated server can be shut down by publishers anytime they feel like it. No one is forcing your to pay. You don't want to pay, then don't. The money also goes to lease the building space where all these servers are stored.
blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

[QUOTE="MonsieurX"]Because MS said so.soulitane

It probably won't and I'm sure Sony and Nintendo will probably follow suit and start charging as well. After seeing how much Microsoft makes off of XBox Live, Sony and Nintendo are the ones losing out.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just switch over to PC. STEEEEAM.

ArchonOver

LOL!! No. Why would anyone want to do that? Too troublesome for most gamers. PC gaming is more for the techies. Casual PC gamers play games on the internet.

RECON64bit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 RECON64bit

[QUOTE="RECON64bit"]

blackace

Their justification is to make a profit and keeps the servers that hold all the content up, running and available 24/7 for you to use. Sure PSN is free and that's why Sony continues to lose money from it on a daily basis. Sony actually pays a network vendor to keep PSN up and running. Sony doesn't regulate the various servers you play on. So if you can't play online and the server is owned buy the publisher, Sony can't help you. Also, these dedicated server can be shut down by publishers anytime they feel like it. No one is forcing your to pay. You don't want to pay, then don't. The money also goes to lease the building space where all these servers are stored.

You're the only person to actually give me auseful answer.Most are too busy defending their little system and agenda to actually give me informed answers.

How about you people reply without insulting one's intelligence.

Avatar image for Raymundo_Manuel
Raymundo_Manuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Raymundo_Manuel
Member since 2010 • 4641 Posts

[QUOTE="soulitane"][QUOTE="MonsieurX"]Because MS said so.blackace

It probably won't and I'm sure Sony and Nintendo will probably follow suit and start charging as well. After seeing how much Microsoft makes off of XBox Live, Sony and Nintendo are the ones losing out.

Didn't Sony report losing millions of dollars on PSN? I'd certainly hope they'd start charging, so they make money.

mirriorman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#41 mirriorman
Member since 2009 • 1946 Posts

one thought just came to my head there.....why is xbox live always being brought up but pc games such as wow also make you pay monthly fees to play?

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

one thought just came to my head there.....why is xbox live always being brought up but pc games such as wow also make you pay monthly fees to play?

mirriorman

Everybody who wants to play their games online with the 360 must pay for it. PC people who want to play just one game is a whole different story. You don't have to pay for WoW to play all of your games online.

One is optional for a single game, one is to play all of your online-enabled games...online.

mirriorman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 mirriorman
Member since 2009 • 1946 Posts

[QUOTE="mirriorman"]

Mrmccormo

I doubt many PC gamers here play WoW because - while it is one of the most popular MMOs - its graphics are average. And of course, you can't be a PC gamer and support games with average graphics.

well i was using wow as an example for the entire mmo thing on which you need to pay for.....

plus i'd say there are alot of wow players on this site tbh....

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#45 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

I really do not understand why I am being charged to play video games online.

RECON64bit

It's simple Microsoft wants to make money. They aren't your friend, get over it. Get a PS3 or a Wii.

There isn't any magical answer, it's just a simple fact.

jimmypsn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 jimmypsn
Member since 2010 • 4425 Posts

I'm pretty sure Sony is gonna charge online next gen. PSN hasn't been profitable for Sony and they are hoping to actually make a profit with PSN this year. Maybe by selling more PSN Plus subscriptions. LOL.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
get a ps3 and never have to worry
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
It costs MS money, but I'm pretty sure MS asks for more than it costs.
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

get a ps3 then the next time a your system or game updates you will have plenty of time to contemplate why you were paying a fee.

maybe it's a rip off but for real it always seemed to me that ms charged me money while sony charged me time.

i can make more money but i can't make more time so in this case i can deal with getting ripped off.

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#50 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

Why do I have to pay to watch netflix too?

Heck I haven't been on for atleast a month now. Should get a refund.