Xbox Live: Why am I being forced to pay, to play games online?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

iAtrocious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#151 iAtrocious
Member since 2010 • 1567 Posts

[QUOTE="blackace"][QUOTE="RECON64bit"]

I really do not understand why I am being charged to play video games online. I understand Xbox Live has other features that we have to pay for but, I have no use for ESPN or facebook on Xbox 360. The only thing I want to do is play online, I couldn't care less about these extra feautures or Xbox live parties. Why can't online be free except foreverything else like Parties, ESPN and all the other useless garbage. I see no justification for raising the price either.

I've already invested a lot in the Xbox so I'm not gonna sell it, but I definately won't be getting their next console if they continue with this practice.

What is Microsoft's justification for charging me to play video games online?

Also this is on system wars because i'm pretty sure a post like this on Xbox forums would get me reported, and/or banned.

Shewgenja

Their justification is to make a profit and keeps the servers that hold all the content up, running and available 24/7 for you to use. Sure PSN is free and that's why Sony continues to lose money from it on a daily basis. Sony actually pays a network vendor to keep PSN up and running. Sony doesn't regulate the various servers you play on. So if you can't play online and the server is owned buy the publisher, Sony can't help you. Also, these dedicated server can be shut down by publishers anytime they feel like it. No one is forcing your to pay. You don't want to pay, then don't. The money also goes to lease the building space where all these servers are stored.

Games are taken offline on Live all the time..

They are? The last game I recall being taken off from Live was one from the original Xbox.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#152 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

[QUOTE="Shewgenja"][QUOTE="blackace"] Their justification is to make a profit and keeps the servers that hold all the content up, running and available 24/7 for you to use. Sure PSN is free and that's why Sony continues to lose money from it on a daily basis. Sony actually pays a network vendor to keep PSN up and running. Sony doesn't regulate the various servers you play on. So if you can't play online and the server is owned buy the publisher, Sony can't help you. Also, these dedicated server can be shut down by publishers anytime they feel like it. No one is forcing your to pay. You don't want to pay, then don't. The money also goes to lease the building space where all these servers are stored. iAtrocious

They are? The last game I recall being taken off from Live was one from the original Xbox.

Didnt Halo Wars go down?

iAtrocious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153 iAtrocious
Member since 2010 • 1567 Posts

[QUOTE="iAtrocious"]

[QUOTE="Shewgenja"] Games are taken offline on Live all the time..Shewgenja

Didnt Halo Wars go down?

No.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Oh, okay I stand corrected then.

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#155 HuusAsking
Member since 2006 • 15270 Posts

[QUOTE="HuusAsking"]

[QUOTE="iAtrocious"]

Your going to blame Microsoft for advertising their products so much that your friends bought it, as well?

Sheesh, there ARElimits, people.

iAtrocious

Even tried to buy popcorn or anything else (besides the ticket) at a theater? The term "Captive Market" springs to mind.

So, now you're also claiming that the 360 has no competition? What happened to the PS3, the PC and the Wii?

What good are they when none of your friends are on them? It's like walking on the Sun.
Darkslayer16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 Darkslayer16
Member since 2006 • 3619 Posts

[QUOTE="Shewgenja"][QUOTE="blackace"] Their justification is to make a profit and keeps the servers that hold all the content up, running and available 24/7 for you to use. Sure PSN is free and that's why Sony continues to lose money from it on a daily basis. Sony actually pays a network vendor to keep PSN up and running. Sony doesn't regulate the various servers you play on. So if you can't play online and the server is owned buy the publisher, Sony can't help you. Also, these dedicated server can be shut down by publishers anytime they feel like it. No one is forcing your to pay. You don't want to pay, then don't. The money also goes to lease the building space where all these servers are stored. iAtrocious

Chromehounds, random sports games, LOTR Conquest, LOTR Battle for Middle Earth 2 and probably some I can't remember at the moment had their servers closed.

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#157 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts
Worth every penny, they said.... Have a PS3 or PC problems solved.
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#158 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

No one's forcing you to pay for it. You could just do what I do, and play singleplayer games and ignore multiplayer.

Avatar image for thecapsaicinkid
thecapsaicinkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 thecapsaicinkid
Member since 2009 • 72 Posts

almost all games are p2p so no server upkeep.

freakshowfreak

No server upkeep, really? Interesting. You sure do know your stuff.

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 HuusAsking

[QUOTE="iAtrocious"]

[QUOTE="Shewgenja"] Games are taken offline on Live all the time..Darkslayer16

Chromehounds, random sports games, LOTR Conquest, LOTR Battle for Middle Earth 2 and probably some I can't remember at the moment had their servers closed.

EA's notorious for taking down the sports games (to encourage moving on to the new iterations). The rest, I believe, had their runs (I know Chromehounds was that way--towards the end the persistent campaign only had a small number participating) and were taken down after declining participation indicated players had moved on.

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 HuusAsking

[QUOTE="freakshowfreak"]

thecapsaicinkid

There are gatekeeper servers, yes, but PSN has those, too. We're referring to dedicated gaming servers. AFAIK, there are fewer of those on Live than on PSN, even though PSN doesn't charge for the privilege. PC gamers tend to rely on userland servers set up or rented by other users.
The__Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 The__Havoc
Member since 2009 • 2350 Posts

Because it costs money to run the service. Just ask Sony the guys losing money on PSN.

freakshowfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 freakshowfreak
Member since 2003 • 298 Posts

Because it costs money to run the service. Just ask Sony the guys losing money on PSN.

The__Havoc

they earn enough with royalty's on each game they sell and just like I said most games are p2p so they use the users internet to host on

but I guess we are paying for all the faulty systems they made :P

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#164 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

[QUOTE="iAtrocious"]

[QUOTE="HuusAsking"]Coercion can be pretty potent..especially when your friends are on the 360 as well.HuusAsking

Your going to blame Microsoft for advertising their products so much that your friends bought it, as well?

Even tried to buy popcorn or anything else (besides the ticket) at a theater? The term "Captive Market" springs to mind.

That's pretty simple to avoid. You bring your own. That's a horrible example. That isn't a captive market, that just people being lazy.

Bazooka_4ME

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 Bazooka_4ME
Member since 2008 • 2540 Posts
Basically you are only being charged by MS for believing Live is a good service because you're paying them..... ......which is factually utter nonsense.
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 heretrix

[QUOTE="thecapsaicinkid"]

[QUOTE="freakshowfreak"]

HuusAsking

There are gatekeeper servers, yes, but PSN has those, too. We're referring to dedicated gaming servers. AFAIK, there are fewer of those on Live than on PSN, even though PSN doesn't charge for the privilege. PC gamers tend to rely on userland servers set up or rented by other users.

Listen the only reason Sony isn't charging for PSN is because there is no way they could compete with live one to one, so Sony did what any smart business would do they undercut their competition. This is why you now have PSN+ They need to make money on their online infrastructure somehow.

Anyone that believe it doesn't cost money to run a service like XBL or even PSN doesn't know what they are talking about.

Servers need to be maintained, people need to maintain them, storage needs to be added as well as eventually new features. MS and Sony are tackling the problem in different ways. MS decides to charge you, Sony doesn't. Guess who's hurting less?

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29826 Posts

[QUOTE="IronBass"][QUOTE="theuncharted34"]err.. really? ...theuncharted34

Yes, really.

Well, I'm not here to judge. But the game is mediocre. :)

didn't you just make a judgement with that post?
Conjuration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#168 Conjuration
Member since 2006 • 3562 Posts

It's surprizing how many casuals I know picked up a 360. When I tell them PSN is free; their face goes all blank and I suddenly have their attention.
I kid you not: In 2010 I watched 8 of my 360 lovin-friends sell their consoles off and buy a PS3. That's just about every guy I regularily hang out with. In 2009 it was just me and one of guy in the group who had one.

The__Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 The__Havoc

[QUOTE="The__Havoc"]

freakshowfreak

they earn enough with royalty's on each game they sell and just like I said most games are p2p so they use the users internet to host on

Game royalties is a different sector of the gaming branch. You want all your individual sectors to be profitable. Not have some pull the overall weight while others are not financialy viable at all. Yup you were paying for the faulty system they made 8 years ago when LIVE debuted right?

But hey if you want we could have console gamers buy and host their own servers like they do on PC. Oh wait you thought that PC gaming was free too? Nope someone out there is hosting that server for you to play on. You may not be paying but someone is indeed paying.

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 HuusAsking

[QUOTE="HuusAsking"]

[QUOTE="iAtrocious"]

heretrix

That's pretty simple to avoid. You bring your own. That's a horrible example. That isn't a captive market, that just people being lazy.

Every theater I know prohibits outside food and drink. Technically, they could bust you and throw you out (without a refund) if they catch you...much like hacking a 360.
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 HuusAsking

[QUOTE="freakshowfreak"]

[QUOTE="The__Havoc"]

The__Havoc

Game royalties is a different sector of the gaming branch. You want all your individual sectors to be profitable. Not have some pull the overall weight while others are not financialy viable at all. Yup you were paying for the faulty system they made 8 years ago when LIVE debuted right?

But hey if you want we could have console gamers buy and host their own servers like they do on PC. Oh wait you thought that PC gaming was free too? Nope someone out there is hosting that server for you to play on. You may not be paying but someone is indeed paying.

So why don't they? Could solve the cost-to-operate problem right there.
freakshowfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 freakshowfreak

srry but a lot of console games don't have dedicated servers so that point fails.

plus if I want I can dedicate enough of my fiber connection to host a server.

but what do you pay for let's see

1 partychat only for gold ( crappy sound and you host it on your own connection)

2 video chat

3 facebook

4 twitter

5 espn

6 sky player

all are normal free pc options whoohoo yeah guess those are also great things to pay for......... and who uses

oh and oh yeah you pay to play most games on a p2p base (whoopty dooo)

but with all the advertisement on xbox live these all should be free

and yes you can check out demo's why so they can sell em it aint a bad thing but it's mainly advertisement for you to spend more money

so annyone enlighten me why do I pay? what good quality service do they offer that is worth it ?

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29826 Posts
[QUOTE="freakshowfreak"]

srry but a lot of console games don't have dedicated servers so that point fails.

1 partychat only for gold ( crappy sound and you host it on your own connection)

2 video chat

3 facebook

4 twitter

5 espn

6 sky player

all are normal free pc options whoohoo yeah guess those are also great things to pay for......... and who uses

and yes you can check out demo's why so they can sell em it aint a bad thing but it's mainly advertisement for you to spend more money

so annyone enlighten me why do I pay? what good quality service do they offer that is worth it ?

why do you pay? i'm not following here. if you hate the service so much, why are you giving MS your money?
The__Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 The__Havoc

[QUOTE="The__Havoc"]

[QUOTE="freakshowfreak"] they earn enough with royalty's on each game they sell and just like I said most games are p2p so they use the users internet to host on

HuusAsking

Why don't they charge? Um because when PSN came out in its infancy it was very very very underwhelming and it would have just turned more people away from the system. Look what MS did with the original Xbox. They swallowed a lot of money to build a user base. Same thing happens in sports when crappy teams over pay for good free agents.

Sony gonna have to swallow the bill while they build up the PSN community.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 heretrix

[QUOTE="freakshowfreak"]

2 video chat

3 facebook

4 twitter

5 espn

6 sky player

clone01

why do you pay? i'm not following here. if you hate the service so much, why are you giving MS your money?

You forgot the point of the thread, MS is forcing him. I think he's one of the chosen few that has a guard from MS stationed at his house to make sure he pays. In fact, he is doing something heroic right now, while the guard is on break, he is on System Wars telling everyone how horrible XBL is.

He should be commended, not questioned.

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 HuusAsking

[QUOTE="HuusAsking"][QUOTE="The__Havoc"]

The__Havoc

Why don't they charge? Um because when PSN came out in its infancy it was very very very underwhelming and it would have just turned more people away from the system. Look what MS did with the original Xbox. They swallowed a lot of money to build a user base. Same thing happens in sports when crappy teams over pay for good free agents.

Sony gonna have to swallow the bill while they build up the PSN community.

I'm talking about going the PC route and letting dedicated gamers set up or rent dedicated servers. To alleviate security concerns, use authentication, signed apps, and so on.
freakshowfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 freakshowfreak

You forgot the point of the thread, MS is forcing him. I think he's one of the chosen few that has a guard from MS stationed at his house to make sure he pays. In fact, he is doing something heroic right now, while the guard is on break, he is on System Wars telling everyone how horrible XBL is.

heretrix

if he wants to play online he doesn't have a choice does he so he has to ( forced ) to buy xbox live gold account..... or do you know a free alternative..

( forced also means no choice and in this case if he wants to play online he doesn't have a other choice then to pay )

but maybe we should make the question simpler

"Why do I have to pay to play games online ??"

because a lot of people in this thread don't understand the way the op intended the word forced in the question

so new updated question

"WHY DO WE HAVE TO PAY TO PLAY GAMES ONLINE WITH AN XBOX??"

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 HuusAsking

[QUOTE="heretrix"]

freakshowfreak

if he wants to play online he doesn't have a choice does he so he has to ( forced ) to buy xbox live gold account..... or do you know a free alternative..

( forced also means no choice and in this case if he wants to play online he doesn't have a other choice then to pay )

because a lot of people in this thread don't understand the way the op intended the word forced in the question

so new updated question

So is "Walk Away" (as in, don't play online at all) not an option here?

PS. Not being hypocritical here. I'm trying to gague as what point something no longer become psychologiically "socially optional" and becomes "socially necessary" (otherwise, as Smash Mouth sings, "You might as well be walking on the Sun").

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 heretrix

[QUOTE="heretrix"]

freakshowfreak

so new updated question

I understand what he meant. I just don't care. You aren't forced to pay. Period. There are alternatives.

As to your revised question "Why do we have to pay to play online on the Xbox?"

Answer: Because Microsoft doesn't want to give it to you free. They provide a service and they wish to be compensated. It doesn't matter if it's free elsewhere, it isn't on XBL. You either deal with it or go elsewhere. I'm not a fan myself, but I understand, they don't want to take the loss so it goes to the consumer.

It's one of many things in life that companies make you pay for. You can get water for free, but I'll be damned if the bottled water industry isn't doing fantastically well.

savebattery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 savebattery
Member since 2009 • 3626 Posts
Active (as in, still getting at least ten commercial games per year) gaming platforms in my house that have free online: PC, PS3, Wii, DS, PSP, PS2, Android OS The online on those platforms is of variable quality, but the point remains. I have never paid for Live and I never will. I don't even have my Xbox 360 hooked up to the internet anymore.
HaLoMaStErJT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 HaLoMaStErJT
Member since 2008 • 1380 Posts

Get a ps3 or pc if you hate the price of live so much.

Evolution-X0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 Evolution-X0
Member since 2008 • 1740 Posts
Maintaining a online service isn't free, you do realise this?
edidili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 edidili
Member since 2004 • 3449 Posts

Maintaining a online service isn't free, you do realise this?Evolution-X0

Will you guys stop repeating this? The tc just wants to play the game he bought online. That's all. He doesn't want all those jingle mingle crap gold offers. He wants to play online and Microsoft is not maintaining any online service for that. It's the players who are the servers.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 heretrix

[QUOTE="Evolution-X0"]Maintaining a online service isn't free, you do realise this?edidili

Will you guys stop repeating this? The tc just wants to play the game he bought online. That's all. He doesn't want all those jingle mingle crap gold offers. He wants to play online and Microsoft is not maintaining any online service for that. It's the players who are the servers.

Because it's important. XBL isn't hosted on a fairy cloud where time and space don't matter. It's run in a physical space on servers that cost money. It's important to keep in mind so that you don't run to your room and make one of the million threads complaining about why a for profit business wants to make........

A profit.

edidili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 edidili
Member since 2004 • 3449 Posts

[QUOTE="edidili"]

[QUOTE="Evolution-X0"]Maintaining a online service isn't free, you do realise this?heretrix

Because it's important. XBL isn't hosted on a fairy cloud where time and space don't matter. It's run in a physical space on servers that cost money. It's important to keep in mind so that you don't run to your room and make one of the million threads complaining about why a for profit business wants to make........

A profit.

I guess I'lle have to repeat it. The guy just wants to play online in the game he bought, hosting the servers by himself. He doesn't want the XBL, facebook or whatever shiny things it has.

thecapsaicinkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 thecapsaicinkid

freakshowfreak

You know the answer, why do you keep asking the same thing over and over?

The ONLY reason for anything being priced the way it is, is because the company decided that price point was the best for their profits. Do you not understand this?Microsoft charge for Live for the exact same reason Sony don't charge for PSN, because they decided it would be best for their profits. I know that's a difficult concept, Sony make PSN free because it makes them the most money overall. They're not doing it out of the goodness of their heart.

Some facts for you

1. XBL and PSN cost MILLIONS per year to maintain.

2. P2P is not the same as no dedicated servers, most games are not P2P and are client/server, just with the user hosting the server.

3. You have not paid for the upkeep of Live with the money you paid for your game, the money you paid for your broadband connection, your cable provider or any other daft links you care to make.

firefluff3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 firefluff3
Member since 2010 • 2073 Posts

cuz it offers teh uniqez s3rvice wich no1 else cn possibli compete with.

pretty much because they want your cash.

coolkid93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#188 coolkid93
Member since 2007 • 6749 Posts
Because that's how M$ roll. They like milking people.
thecapsaicinkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 thecapsaicinkid

pretty much because they want your cash.

firefluff3

And Sony don't?

Man you are naive.

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 HuusAsking

[QUOTE="freakshowfreak"]

thecapsaicinkid

You know the answer, why do you keep asking the same thing over and over?

The ONLY reason for anything being priced the way it is, is because the company decided that price point was the best for their profits. Do you not understand this?Microsoft charge for Live for the exact same reason Sony don't charge for PSN, because they decided it would be best for their profits. I know that's a difficult concept, Sony make PSN free because it makes them the most money overall. They're not doing it out of the goodness of their heart.

Some facts for you

1. XBL and PSN cost MILLIONS per year to maintain.

2. P2P is not the same as no dedicated servers, most games are not P2P and are client/server, just with the user hosting the server.

3. You have not paid for the upkeep of Live with the money you paid for your game, the money you paid for your broadband connection, your cable provider or any other daft links you care to make.

So why not go the PC route and let dedicated gamers handle the upkeep, let the ads handle what little is needed at the front end (isn't that how Steam maintains its own front end?), and stop looking like the scrooge on the block. Otherwise, why not separate the online part from the offline part so that people feel they're not being forced to buy part of a game they'll never use.
thecapsaicinkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 thecapsaicinkid

So why not go the PC routeHuusAsking

You're asking me to try and guess why Microsoft thought they could make more money with Live being the way it is, rather than being more like the PC experience of online gaming? Or are you saying, I know better than Microsoft, I could make them more money?

Fusiondonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 Fusiondonut
Member since 2011 • 140 Posts

The__Havoc

What service costs money to run? P2P costs nothing lol

Fusiondonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 Fusiondonut
Member since 2011 • 140 Posts

[QUOTE="freakshowfreak"]

thecapsaicinkid

1. XBL and PSN cost several hundreds of dollars per year to maintain.

thecapsaicinkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 thecapsaicinkid

[QUOTE="The__Havoc"]

Fusiondonut

I'm not going to get into a discussion with someone who doesn't even know what P2P is.

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 HuusAsking

[QUOTE="Fusiondonut"]

[QUOTE="The__Havoc"]

thecapsaicinkid

I'm not going to get into a discussion with someone who doesn't even know what P2P is.

The point being, where's the big expense when Live hosts fewer dedicated gaming servers (most are client-hosted) than PSN?
thecapsaicinkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 thecapsaicinkid

[QUOTE="thecapsaicinkid"]

[QUOTE="Fusiondonut"]

HuusAsking

The point being, where's the big expense when Live hosts fewer dedicated gaming servers (most are client-hosted) than PSN?

Firstly, how much Live costs to run is beside the point, it's irrelevant. It is what it is. I've already told you why they charge what they do (which was the original question the TC asked).

If you really want to know the yearly costs to run a service like Live or PSN I'd suggest you Google it. I know you probably think it's a couple of servers in a warehouse with a handful of staff and that's fine. I guess that's a little better than the 'P2P LOLOMG' brigade who appear to know how to create an online infrastructure which doesn't cost a penny to run and has no external services where everyone's console can just magically matchmake with each other purely by being connected to the internet.

dezzyfiesta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 dezzyfiesta
Member since 2010 • 506 Posts

[QUOTE="edidili"]

[QUOTE="Evolution-X0"]Maintaining a online service isn't free, you do realise this?heretrix

A profit.

Interesting questions for if the next gen comes along... How much does a server cost? Cos there are quite a few who could probably buy a chunk of one after buying live for 6 years. And what about if they go to shut down the 360 servers like they did with the old Xbox? They may think they are just herding gamers into the next gen but I for one won't be joining MS in it I reckon.
The__Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 The__Havoc

[QUOTE="The__Havoc"]

Fusiondonut

Then tell me how PSN LOSES money genius? A handful of games that use dedicated servers run you millions into the red? :lol:

The__Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 The__Havoc

I'm talking about going the PC route and letting dedicated gamers set up or rent dedicated servers. To alleviate security concerns, use authentication, signed apps, and so on.HuusAsking

And how would we be able to do this on PSN/XBL's closed networks? They are not open networks like the PC. You really think that console gamers would be able to setup and pay for a dedicated gaming server like PC Gamers? :lol:

I would laugh even harder at a console gamer going through all that trouble doing that and not even be able to play custom game types on custom servers ect. Besides we all know the shelf life for most console online games is much much shorter then a PC online game.

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#200 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

Maybe I can enlighten a few of you here as to why people pay for online play with XBL.

I'm not very tech savvy, but I understand the difference between P2P and dedicated servers (er.....I think :P ). The main reason I pay MS and use Gold is because from what I've seen, Microsoft's platform has a consistent online standard for all it's games whereas the PS3 doesn't. As it's P2P, the online infrastructure has to be built into the game, and from a few game that I've played on the PS3, one game's online functionality can be designed entirely different from another's. Just like the PC.

When I play a console, I'm playing partly for convenience and ease of use. Live affords me this, as I know no matter what game I stick in the tray, the online will always work the same and be consistent. I also always get great connection speeds with Live but with the PS3 it can vary greatly, and also find the interface of Live to be much more user friendly and easy to use.

All that to me is worth the cost.