Xbox Live: Why am I being forced to pay, to play games online?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The__Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201 The__Havoc
Member since 2009 • 2350 Posts

[QUOTE="Evolution-X0"]Maintaining a online service isn't free, you do realise this?edidili

Will you guys stop repeating this? The tc just wants to play the game he bought online. That's all. He doesn't want all those jingle mingle crap gold offers. He wants to play online and Microsoft is not maintaining any online service for that. It's the players who are the servers.

Then he should have bout a system not named Xbox 360. What is so hard to understand? Its the players who do all the servers? So why is PSN been losing money for four years again? Because Sony pays us to use PSN?

savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#202 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts
[QUOTE="thecapsaicinkid"]

[QUOTE="Fusiondonut"]

[QUOTE="The__Havoc"]

Because it costs money to run the service. Just ask Sony the guys losing money on PSN.

What service costs money to run? P2P costs nothing lol

I'm not going to get into a discussion with someone who doesn't even know what P2P is.

the P2P system is built into the os though, the network layer on the 360 is abstracted and not part of games like pc/ps3 so you have a standard. And even p2p gameplay requires a dedicated server to set up matches, regardless of how you look at M$ system is fundamentally better then ps3's because of the abstraction layer, if they decide to upgrade a system, all the games get the change, any game made benefits from having some quality control.
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#203 Danm_999
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts
The only thing I'll say is, look at Windows Live. Microsoft initially charged for the same service on PC. Nobody paid, because they had alternatives, and the charge went away. There are no alternatives on the 360, you'll have to pay to play, so the price remains intact.
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

wait.... is ms forcing me to buy xbl or is sony forcing me to by it???

after all if psn matched xbl who would give them any money?

let's put the blame where the blame is due.

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205 HuusAsking
Member since 2006 • 15270 Posts

[QUOTE="edidili"]

[QUOTE="Evolution-X0"]Maintaining a online service isn't free, you do realise this?The__Havoc

Will you guys stop repeating this? The tc just wants to play the game he bought online. That's all. He doesn't want all those jingle mingle crap gold offers. He wants to play online and Microsoft is not maintaining any online service for that. It's the players who are the servers.

Then he should have bout a system not named Xbox 360. What is so hard to understand? Its the players who do all the servers? So why is PSN been losing money for four years again? Because Sony pays us to use PSN?

Yes. A combination of competition and two-way loyalty (treat your customers properly, and they'll be more likely to go the extra yard for your product).
Vadamee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206 Vadamee
Member since 2009 • 1195 Posts
[QUOTE="Danm_999"]The only thing I'll say is, look at Windows Live. Microsoft initially charged for the same service on PC. Nobody paid, because they had alternatives, and the charge went away. There are no alternatives on the 360, you'll have to pay to play, so the price remains intact.

No one payed because Steam is/was infinitely better than Windows Live; It had competition or a better alternative. Can't say the same for XBL. If it were truly equal, then people wouldn't spend a billion a year on the service.
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#207 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

"You're not forced to pay!"

You are if you want to play Online!

"You don't have to Play Online!"

Dude the guy wants to play Battlefield Bad Company 2 on his Xbox 360 Online, He HAS to pay Microsoft to play Online!

"HE DOESN'T HAVE TO!!!"

ಠ_ಠ

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 LegatoSkyheart

Because of the same reasons you're "forced" to pay for anything: supply and demand. Its manufacturer choose to charge for it, the consumer answered positively. [QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]Go ahead and tell me how freakin' great Halo, Left 4 Dead, Shadow Run and Call of Duty are without Xbox Live.IronBass
I actually enjoyed Black Ops and Reach greatly without XBL. But regardless, he made a good. Why would somebody get a multiplayer-centric game without being able to play its multiplayer?

good to know that you have friends to help you out with the multiplayer aspect for lan parties and such.

ForsakenWicked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#209 ForsakenWicked
Member since 2008 • 3745 Posts
I understand the costs of keeping up XBL, however, I think the recent hike price is too high.
The__Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210 The__Havoc
Member since 2009 • 2350 Posts

Dude the guy wants to play Battlefield Bad Company 2 on his Xbox 360 Online, He HAS to pay Microsoft to play Online!

"HE DOESN'T HAVE TO!!!"

ಠ_ಠ

LegatoSkyheart

The game is out on PC and PS3. XBL has been out for 8 or 9 years now....

Why should I feel any sympathy for this man's own ignorance of the situation. If you haven't figured out after 8, 9 years that XBL is a paid service then there is more to complaining about Microsoft to this situation :lol:

CBCstillmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#211 CBCstillmatic
Member since 2008 • 81 Posts

[QUOTE="heretrix"]

You forgot the point of the thread, MS is forcing him. I think he's one of the chosen few that has a guard from MS stationed at his house to make sure he pays. In fact, he is doing something heroic right now, while the guard is on break, he is on System Wars telling everyone how horrible XBL is.

He should be commended, not questioned.

freakshowfreak

if he wants to play online he doesn't have a choice does he so he has to ( forced ) to buy xbox live gold account..... or do you know a free alternative..

( forced also means no choice and in this case if he wants to play online he doesn't have a other choice then to pay )

but maybe we should make the question simpler

"Why do I have to pay to play games online ??"

because a lot of people in this thread don't understand the way the op intended the word forced in the question

so new updated question

"WHY DO WE HAVE TO PAY TO PLAY GAMES ONLINE WITH AN XBOX??"

Again for the 100th time in this thread no one has to pay to play on LIVE if they don't want to.The free alternative would be PS3, so you don't have to play online with an xbox, go get a PS3.Trade your 360 in, cut your losses and stop complaining. Play PSN for a week and LIVE won't seam so bad, all downloads take forever and then you have to install. Even features like background downloads, the dashboard, and messaging are half assed compared to LIVE. That isn't even including features that are missing that LIVE has. These things cost time and money to develop and improve. If LIVE were free it would have less support and be an entire generation behind like PSN is, which is barely better than LIVE was on the original xbox. The fee is the reason LIVE is so much better than Sony and Nintendo's offerings.

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 HuusAsking

[QUOTE="freakshowfreak"]

[QUOTE="heretrix"]

You forgot the point of the thread, MS is forcing him. I think he's one of the chosen few that has a guard from MS stationed at his house to make sure he pays. In fact, he is doing something heroic right now, while the guard is on break, he is on System Wars telling everyone how horrible XBL is.

He should be commended, not questioned.

CBCstillmatic

if he wants to play online he doesn't have a choice does he so he has to ( forced ) to buy xbox live gold account..... or do you know a free alternative..

( forced also means no choice and in this case if he wants to play online he doesn't have a other choice then to pay )

because a lot of people in this thread don't understand the way the op intended the word forced in the question

so new updated question

Again for the 100th time in this thread no one has to pay to play on LIVE if they don't want to.The free alternative would be PS3, so you don't have to play online with an xbox, go get a PS3.Trade your 360 in, cut your losses and stop complaining. Play PSN for a week and LIVE won't seam so bad, all downloads take forever and then you have to install. Even features like background downloads, the dashboard, and messaging are half assed compared to LIVE. That isn't even including features that are missing that LIVE has. These things cost time and money to develop and improve. If LIVE were free it would have less support and be an entire generation behind like PSN is, which is barely better than LIVE was on the original xbox. The fee is the reason LIVE is so much better than Sony and Nintendo's offerings.

What about Steam? It's preferred over anything Microsoft has on offer, and it's free.
Avatar image for thecapsaicinkid
thecapsaicinkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 thecapsaicinkid
Member since 2009 • 72 Posts

[QUOTE="CBCstillmatic"]

[QUOTE="freakshowfreak"]

so new updated question

HuusAsking

What about Steam? It's preferred over anything Microsoft has on offer, and it's free.

Well I guess then anyone who pays for Live is a moron and you are some sort of super genius for seeing through Microsoft's thinly veiled scam. I feel quite stupid now.

edidili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214 edidili
Member since 2004 • 3449 Posts

[QUOTE="HuusAsking"]What about Steam? It's preferred over anything Microsoft has on offer, and it's free.thecapsaicinkid

Well I guess then anyone who pays for Live is a moron and you are some sort of super genius for seeing through Microsoft's thinly veiled scam. I feel quite stupid now.

If steam tries to forces a fee for online multiplayer players will leave. There are many out there who want to take steams place in PC. In the other hand, all those who bought 360 have no other choice but to follow M$ rules. Basically M$ got you from the balls.

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#215 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

I understand the costs of keeping up XBL, however, I think the recent hike price is too high. ForsakenWicked

I do too... And when I hear they talk about XBL profit and then a price hike... It Ticks me off.

I locked in a 2 year $80ish dollar plan with the free MS points. After the 2 years are up I'm done with XBL.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#216 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

There is no real reason, xbl isn't better as PSN what some say to justify their cost and even if it was, it wouldn't be better than the Stream which is free as well. MS is just milking their fans and I'll never pay to go gold :S Good thing a few games have a gold test code so I'm able to play some Halo online from time to time xD

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217 HuusAsking

[QUOTE="thecapsaicinkid"]

[QUOTE="HuusAsking"]What about Steam? It's preferred over anything Microsoft has on offer, and it's free.edidili

If steam tries to forces a fee for online multiplayer players will leave. There are many out there who want to take steams place in PC. In the other hand, all those who bought 360 have no other choice but to follow M$ rules. Basically M$ got you from the balls.

Like I said before, "Captive Market". When the choices are "Pay" or "Don't Play" and popular games like Halo Reach are unavailable anywhere else or your friends are only on 360s, you're put in a very uncomfortable position.
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44195 Posts

Only one way that happens - you should have never gave MS Power of Attorney and signed it giving them free will to spend your money as they see fit. :twisted:

Anywho, there are other choices out there like PC for instance.

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts

Finally, a topic that is original and hasn't been beaten into the ground. SW really needed this.

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 HuusAsking

Only one way that happens - you should have never gave MS Power of Attorney and signed it giving them free will to spend your money as they see fit. :twisted:

SecretPolice
Not for people whose friends only have 360 or who their favorite game is Halo Reach or the like. I mean, looking at how quickly they about-faced in Games For Windows Live, it really looks like Microsoft is scalping the clueless captive market of 360 players, luring their friends in so that walking out becomes a Walking On The Sun moment.
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 SecretPolice

[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

HuusAsking

Not for people whose friends only have 360 or who their favorite game is Halo Reach or the like. I mean, looking at how quickly they about-faced in Games For Windows Live, it really looks like Microsoft is scalping the clueless captive market of 360 players, luring their friends in so that walking out becomes a Walking On The Sun moment.

I guess but it's umm, Reaching :P For me it's comparable to say, one has free riding privileges on public busing but likes the back seat of a taxi much more - I know, not the greatest analogy but the choice still exists and after all, it's the market that decides, duped or not so I dunno.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 LegatoSkyheart

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

"HE DOESN'T HAVE TO!!!"

ಠ_ಠ

The__Havoc

Why should I feel any sympathy for this man's own ignorance of the situation. If you haven't figured out after 8, 9 years that XBL is a paid service then there is more to complaining about Microsoft to this situation :lol:

You missed the point.

The hypothetical guy wants to play a game ONline on the Xbox 360.

Not on PS3, Not on PC, On the Xbox 360.

Therefore the only way he's ever going to get what he wants is to pay for Online.

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 HuusAsking

[QUOTE="The__Havoc"]

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

"HE DOESN'T HAVE TO!!!"

ಠ_ಠ

LegatoSkyheart

You missed the point.

The hypothetical guy wants to play a game ONline on the Xbox 360.

Not on PS3, Not on PC, On the Xbox 360.

Therefore the only way he's ever going to get what he wants is to pay for Online.

And the only options are "Pay" or "Walk Away" (from your friends, from 360 exclusives, etc.). What's it going to be?
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 LegatoSkyheart

And the only options are "Pay" or "Walk Away" (from your friends, from 360 exclusives, etc.). What's it going to be?HuusAsking

It's a freakin' Xbox 360...not Drugs man.

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225 HuusAsking

[QUOTE="HuusAsking"][QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

SecretPolice

I guess but it's umm, Reaching :P For me it's comparable to say, one has free riding privileges on public busing but likes the back seat of a taxi much more - I know, not the greatest analogy but the choice still exists and after all, it's the market that decides, duped or not so I dunno.

But the social angle puts peer pressure on the player. Looks like Microsoft is trying to use peer pressure to coerce people to pay to play (because otherwise they're "out of the loop").
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 HuusAsking

[QUOTE="HuusAsking"]And the only options are "Pay" or "Walk Away" (from your friends, from 360 exclusives, etc.). What's it going to be?LegatoSkyheart

But Peer Pressure still applies. Do you save your money or your online friendship?
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 LegatoSkyheart

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

[QUOTE="HuusAsking"]And the only options are "Pay" or "Walk Away" (from your friends, from 360 exclusives, etc.). What's it going to be?HuusAsking

But Peer Pressure still applies. Do you save your money or your online friendship?

*face palm*

I didn't say anything about friends anyway on my post before.

The situation was that a guy got Battlefield Bad Company 2 for his Xbox 360, He wants to play the game online and the only way for him to do it was to pay.

that's it.

It's like a toll booth on the high way, in order for you to get to your destination YOU HAVE TO PAY THE MONEY TO GET THROUGH!

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 SecretPolice

[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

[QUOTE="HuusAsking"]Not for people whose friends only have 360 or who their favorite game is Halo Reach or the like. I mean, looking at how quickly they about-faced in Games For Windows Live, it really looks like Microsoft is scalping the clueless captive market of 360 players, luring their friends in so that walking out becomes a Walking On The Sun moment.HuusAsking

But the social angle puts peer pressure on the player. Looks like Microsoft is trying to use peer pressure to coerce people to pay to play (because otherwise they're "out of the loop").

Sure but I don't see the problem as this goes on every day in business and again, ultimately the consumers decide and the business concern must choose it's course based on the marketplace - ATM, MS is finding success with the strategy whether we like it or not so I don't see things changing until they lose significant on-line gaming market share though if that were to happen making MS NEED to lower or even make XBL free, I'm all good with that. :)

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22851 Posts

YAY!!!! another 300 posts about a non issue. guess what... if people were trully affected and angry about the fee for xbox live THEY WOULDNT PAY IT AND XBOX LIVE WOULD FAIL!!!!! STOP MAKING THESE RIDICULOUS THREADS!!!!!!

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29827 Posts
And the only options are "Pay" or "Walk Away" (from your friends, from 360 exclusives, etc.). What's it going to be?HuusAsking
so let's say all of your friends own ferraris, and to be cool you have to own one...pay or walk away, right?
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231 HuusAsking

[QUOTE="HuusAsking"][QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

LegatoSkyheart

*face palm*

I didn't say anything about friends anyway on my post before.

The situation was that a guy got Battlefield Bad Company 2 for his Xbox 360, He wants to play the game online and the only way for him to do it was to pay.

that's it.

It's like a toll booth on the high way, in order for you to get to your destination YOU HAVE TO PAY THE MONEY TO GET THROUGH!

So you either shunpike (get an alternate system/version) or don't take the trip (stay offline).
clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232 clone01
So you either shunpike (get an alternate system/version) or don't take the trip (stay offline).HuusAsking
absolutely. its a consumer choice. if one is so opposed to paying, why would they opt in?
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233 HuusAsking
[QUOTE="HuusAsking"]So you either shunpike (get an alternate system/version) or don't take the trip (stay offline).clone01
absolutely. its a consumer choice. if one is so opposed to paying, why would they opt in?

I recognize there is a choice. I can still say I don't like it (thus why I'm only Silver). I still get the sinking suspicion Microsoft is simply exploiting a captive market (much as concession stands at theaters and sporting events).
clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234 clone01
I recognize there is a choice. I can still say I don't like it (thus why I'm only Silver). I still get the sinking suspicion Microsoft is simply exploiting a captive market (much as concession stands at theaters and sporting events).HuusAsking
sure...its a company, and they want to make money. the best thing a consumer can do is speak with their wallet, as you have done.
godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#235 godzillavskong
Member since 2007 • 7904 Posts

[QUOTE="blackace"][QUOTE="RECON64bit"]

I really do not understand why I am being charged to play video games online. I understand Xbox Live has other features that we have to pay for but, I have no use for ESPN or facebook on Xbox 360. The only thing I want to do is play online, I couldn't care less about these extra feautures or Xbox live parties. Why can't online be free except foreverything else like Parties, ESPN and all the other useless garbage. I see no justification for raising the price either.

I've already invested a lot in the Xbox so I'm not gonna sell it, but I definately won't be getting their next console if they continue with this practice.

What is Microsoft's justification for charging me to play video games online?

Also this is on system wars because i'm pretty sure a post like this on Xbox forums would get me reported, and/or banned.

Shewgenja

Their justification is to make a profit and keeps the servers that hold all the content up, running and available 24/7 for you to use. Sure PSN is free and that's why Sony continues to lose money from it on a daily basis. Sony actually pays a network vendor to keep PSN up and running. Sony doesn't regulate the various servers you play on. So if you can't play online and the server is owned buy the publisher, Sony can't help you. Also, these dedicated server can be shut down by publishers anytime they feel like it. No one is forcing your to pay. You don't want to pay, then don't. The money also goes to lease the building space where all these servers are stored.

Games are taken offline on Live all the time..

I still get a laugh that if you've been paying for Live since 2005 that you could essentially afford a free PS3 now.

I've been online on Xbox Live Gold that long, for about 7 years, and I still purchased a PS3..
clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236 clone01
[QUOTE="Shewgenja"]

[QUOTE="blackace"] Their justification is to make a profit and keeps the servers that hold all the content up, running and available 24/7 for you to use. Sure PSN is free and that's why Sony continues to lose money from it on a daily basis. Sony actually pays a network vendor to keep PSN up and running. Sony doesn't regulate the various servers you play on. So if you can't play online and the server is owned buy the publisher, Sony can't help you. Also, these dedicated server can be shut down by publishers anytime they feel like it. No one is forcing your to pay. You don't want to pay, then don't. The money also goes to lease the building space where all these servers are stored. godzillavskong

Games are taken offline on Live all the time..

I still get a laugh that if you've been paying for Live since 2005 that you could essentially afford a free PS3 now.

I've been online on Xbox Live Gold that long, for about 7 years, and I still purchased a PS3..

me too. it seems ps3 fans feel a need to tell others what they should do with their money
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

heh, i just got off R2 so let me tell you i just had an object lesson in where the money is going.

we had to wait for a 20 min update then the invite comes through and i check the message to see all it says is he wants to play with no invite into his room so then i enter the co-op mode scroll through the games to find his then enter the room and join a game where the only ones with mics are him and i and even then the chat audio quality is lousy.

ms is more than welcome to my money because seriously, over on psn it's like firkkin amateur night.

it's not a deal breaker or anything but it's still annoying after using xbl.

SPBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238 SPBoss
Member since 2009 • 3746 Posts
Games for Windows Live is essentially the same thing but on PC, except its free :D Switch console or go to pc bro
Avatar image for thecapsaicinkid
thecapsaicinkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239 thecapsaicinkid
Member since 2009 • 72 Posts

Just because they charge, it doesn't mean all the money gets sunken into Microsoft's profits, the gamer definitely sees a benefit in the end. As an example, SSFIV is my favourite game. On the 360 MS pays for the bandwidth for the developer to give free content to their customers, Sony do not and charge the developers per download. Capcom released their costume pack free to download for 360 users (to be able to see other players using all the new costumes) this had to be purchased on the PS3. Not to mention all the exclusive DLC MS scores.

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240 HuusAsking

Just because they charge, it doesn't mean all the money gets sunken into Microsoft's profits, the gamer definitely sees a benefit in the end. As an example, SSFIV is my favourite game. On the 360 MS pays for the bandwidth for the developer to give free content to their customers, Sony do not and charge the developers per download. Capcom released their costume pack free to download for 360 users (to be able to see other players using all the new costumes) this had to be purchased on the PS3. Not to mention all the exclusive DLC MS scores.

thecapsaicinkid
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Epic raise a stink because Microsoft insisted that their DLC be charged or they wouldn't host it?
godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#241 godzillavskong
Member since 2007 • 7904 Posts

[QUOTE="godzillavskong"][QUOTE="Shewgenja"] Games are taken offline on Live all the time..

clone01

me too. it seems ps3 fans feel a need to tell others what they should do with their money

Very true. A lot of those true Sony loyalists are a little upset that Xbox Live is a lot more popular, or successful than PSN, and it is doing it while charging a fee.

johny300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242 johny300
Member since 2010 • 12496 Posts
Switch to PC/PS3 then.
danjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243 danjammer69
Member since 2004 • 4331 Posts
[QUOTE="MonsieurX"]Because MS said so.soulitane
Pretty much this and I doubt it will stop next gen.

I agree. I think the main problem is that people are simply willing to pay for it. When they tried charging for Live on PC, there was a moajor backlash and the fee was dropped. But for some reason Xbox owners are not vocal enough about it. I mean they complain about it all the time, yet they still pay for it, every month, over and over...etc.
zxcqweasd1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244 zxcqweasd1
Member since 2011 • 273 Posts
Because Microsoft are greedy bastards and 360 players are their collective cash cow.
zxcqweasd1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245 zxcqweasd1
Member since 2011 • 273 Posts
[QUOTE="soulitane"][QUOTE="MonsieurX"]Because MS said so.danjammer69
Pretty much this and I doubt it will stop next gen.

I agree. I think the main problem is that people are simply willing to pay for it. When they tried charging for Live on PC, there was a moajor backlash and the fee was dropped. But for some reason Xbox owners are not vocal enough about it. I mean they complain about it all the time, yet they still pay for it, every month, over and over...etc.

Un-huh, to the extent that when MS RAISED the fee, they still bent over. >Paying for P2P networking. Oh dear.
antifanboyftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246 antifanboyftw
Member since 2007 • 2214 Posts
[QUOTE="HuusAsking"][QUOTE="thecapsaicinkid"]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Epic raise a stink because Microsoft insisted that their DLC be charged or they wouldn't host it?

yes i vaguely remember that too. the only reason why we got 1 map pack free at all from them is because discovery channel donated money. same goes for valve games. microsoft makes you pay for content that is free for updates on the PC.
ccagracing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247 ccagracing
Member since 2006 • 845 Posts

I have no issue with paying for xbox live as its value for money in my opinion, but I do have issues with the direction EA is taking. If a second xbox live account wants to play the game on the same xbox then they have to pay. That takes a potential game purchase to over £50 and that becomes a problem as EA update with a new game annually. Also the damage they claim that used game sales do to them, and now having to pay a second time for that as well.

SPBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248 SPBoss
Member since 2009 • 3746 Posts
[QUOTE="danjammer69"][QUOTE="soulitane"] Pretty much this and I doubt it will stop next gen.zxcqweasd1

Un-huh, to the extent that when MS RAISED the fee, they still bent over. >Paying for P2P networking. Oh dear.

Terrible isn't it =/
bryn8150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249 bryn8150
Member since 2004 • 795 Posts

if your asking this question at THIS point you need to quit gaming and start something cost effective, like scrapbooking.

shabab12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#250 shabab12
Member since 2007 • 2613 Posts

[QUOTE="dommeus"][QUOTE="RECON64bit"]

I really do not understand why I am being charged to play video games online. I understand Xbox Live has other features that we have to pay for but, I have no use for ESPN or facebook on Xbox 360. The only thing I want to do is play online, I couldn't care less about these extra feautures or Xbox live parties. Why can't online be free except foreverything else like Parties, ESPN and all the other useless garbage. I see no justification for raising the price either.

I've already invested a lot in the Xbox so I'm not gonna sell it, but I definately won't be getting their next console if they continue with this practice.

What is Microsoft's justification for charging me to play video games online?

Also this is on system wars because i'm pretty sure a post like this on Xbox forums would get me reported, and/or banned.

Ultra_Combo

They charge because people continue to pay. If they stopped paying, MS would rescind the charge. My Live ran out in Dec and I don't plan on renewing it any time soon.

What what do you mean your not renewing , your forced to :roll: /thread

the point is, your paying 40 pounds for a game which has online which you cannot even play if you dont pay another 40 quid.