Xbox Live: Why am I being forced to pay, to play games online?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#51 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts
[QUOTE="RECON64bit"]

[QUOTE="Ultra_Combo"]

They charge because people continue to pay. If they stopped paying, MS would rescind the charge. My Live ran out in Dec and I don't plan on renewing it any time soon.dommeus

What what do you mean your not renewing , your forced to :roll: /thread

Well if I want to play Xbox 360 games online then I have no choice but to pay, so I am being forced aren't I?

Still no. In life we don't always get what we want. If it is this important to you, I suggest another system. MS doesn't hide the fact that there is a fee. I don't pay it, but I don't play much MP anyway, so no loss for me.
clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29826 Posts

I really do not understand why I am being charged to play video games online. I understand Xbox Live has other features that we have to pay for but, I have no use for ESPN or facebook on Xbox 360. The only thing I want to do is play online, I couldn't care less about these extra feautures or Xbox live parties. Why can't online be free except foreverything else like Parties, ESPN and all the other useless garbage. I see no justification for raising the price either.

I've already invested a lot in the Xbox so I'm not gonna sell it, but I definately won't be getting their next console if they continue with this practice.

What is Microsoft's justification for charging me to play video games online?

Also this is on system wars because i'm pretty sure a post like this on Xbox forums would get me reported, and/or banned.

RECON64bit
if this is such a problem for you, why did you get a 360?
Brownesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Brownesque
Member since 2005 • 5660 Posts

[QUOTE="Mrmccormo"]

You are being charged because you insist on owning a 360.

Senor_Kami

This. 360 isn't the only device on the planet capable of playing video games. Use one that doesn't charge if you hate it so much.

System wars wins again!
The_RedLion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 The_RedLion
Member since 2009 • 1942 Posts
You are not forced, you could have chosen to buy another system. Easy.
Avatar image for UnknownElement4
UnknownElement4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 UnknownElement4
Member since 2008 • 2603 Posts

No one is forcing you....if you don't want to pay the money, go and play on PS3 or PC. Simple as that.

godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#56 godzillavskong
Member since 2007 • 7904 Posts

They aren't forcing you to do anything. Don't want to pay for it then don't. Simple answer. I've enjoyed it for over 7 years, since the original Xbox, and now that the PS3 is offering free online, everyone thinks Xbox Live should be free?? Pay for it and enjoy it, or find some other avenue such as PC gaming, or the PSN.

Twin-Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Twin-Blade
Member since 2005 • 6806 Posts

Because millions of others do so unquestioningly.

Bardock47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Bardock47
Member since 2008 • 5429 Posts

All that ad money for the Kinect comes from some where.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#59 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

The 360 has become bad for gaming. Yep I said it. I also own one but I refuse to pay for Live Gold and I refuse to buy their casual Kinect system.

Just stop supporting the company and stop buying games for the 360 and switch to the PC or PS3 for playing the same games.

Deathtransit

You used to be a big 360 supporter didn't you?

Yep. Back when Microsoft was supporting the system with great exclusives and Japanese games that you couldn't get anywhere else, and before my systems started dying on me left and right. Now I'm on my third, and final 360. I just keep it around for the rare exclusive that I can't get anywhere else.

I'm sure Microsoft is gonna keep up this expensive online gaming for their next system and beyond while everyone else's online is free, so I certainly wont be buying their next console. Gimme back Sega anyday over Microsoft.

gamer-adam1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 gamer-adam1
Member since 2008 • 4188 Posts

I think in general Americans get screwed with everything like 4G...you guys don't even have 4G yet, yet they advertise it and charge you an extra $10 a month

The_RedLion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 The_RedLion
Member since 2009 • 1942 Posts

Because millions of others do so unquestioningly.

Twin-Blade
I'm sure most people don't spend that much without questioning themselves. I'm also sure most people don't take it as a question of good vs evil as it is discussed in SW.
coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#62 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

We're forced to pay taxes every year...your not being forced to pay for Live. Play your games on the PS3 or the PC if you don't want to pay for Gold. Hit MS in their wallets...that will show those bastards..

godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#63 godzillavskong
Member since 2007 • 7904 Posts

I think in general Americans get screwed with everything like 4G...you guys don't even have 4G yet, yet they advertise it and charge you an extra $10 a month

gamer-adam1
I've been a G ever since I can remember! lol
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#64 lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61515 Posts

Oh God... Who cares? Cry over paying things like increased insurance rates etc, you know something that matters. Not something that costs $60 a year... It's just not a lot of money (to a large amount of ppl apparently).

LOXO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 LOXO7
Member since 2008 • 5595 Posts

Now they have a reason not to stop charging. You've just told them you aren't going to sell your Xbox. I always thought MS was in it for the fast cash, but they fooled me with taking the risk of Kinect. Until they keep on developing more games for it, right now it is still fast cash.

The__Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 The__Havoc
Member since 2009 • 2350 Posts

Xband, Xkai, or Xconnect. Your choice. You don't have to use XBL to play online. Hell you don't even need to own an Xbox to play online.

savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts
[QUOTE="RECON64bit"]

[QUOTE="Ultra_Combo"]

They charge because people continue to pay. If they stopped paying, MS would rescind the charge. My Live ran out in Dec and I don't plan on renewing it any time soon.dommeus

What what do you mean your not renewing , your forced to :roll: /thread

Well if I want to play Xbox 360 games online then I have no choice but to pay, so I am being forced aren't I?

the original basis for the charge was having live its own system where it abstracted the network layer for games, so it could be one unified online system that every game used, you make an improvement then all the game get the improvement. this is not the case, PC/PS3 games don't really have this, if you want something like voice chat, you rely on a third party program, or a developer to support it in the game... and many other things. Its a good idea actually since they can change the way certain things work, improving connecting to a host more stable, or upgradign the voice chat codec which they did recently. The quality on all the games go up.
antifanboyftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 antifanboyftw
Member since 2007 • 2214 Posts
360 only got where it is now because it came out first and impatient people didn't want to wait another year for ps3 or, at the time, whatever the hell nintendo was making (they didn't show off the controller until tgs 2005) people saw it and decided to think about buying other systems later. honestly unless MS aquires some very good new IPS soon, i think they are in for a very rude awakening next gen. Halo is no longer made by Bungie and if 343 doesn't make it amazing, then people will treat it like they treat Treyarch handling Cod games. And Gears of War isn't guarenteed to be a series that will carry on into next gen. They are losing ground quickly and in a pathetic attempt to cover for it all they just said screw it to actually trying and just jumped on the wii ship by focusing soley on stupid motion game crap for nongamers. but if nintendo goes that route next gen, MS will probably be beaten hard in that war. leaving PS3 as the last hardcore console unless they also switch to only focusing on motion gaming. and then all hope will be lost. but this is just crystal ball 2012 worry hogwash. pay no attention to me.
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#70 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Because Microsoft is a corporation that wants Money.

I'm stuck in the loop now and am paying $10 a month but I'm trying to think that the $10 is going towards someone getting a paycheck so they could take care of themselves or their families.

Of course it could just all go to some big cooperate tycoon who is laughing right now saying how we are all tools in his little game.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

your not forced, you knew the stakes when you bought the system it wasn't dropped on you half way through you chose to pay into xbox 360, its games, and xbox live if you didn't like it you should have chose another system you have choices.

RavenLoud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 RavenLoud
Member since 2009 • 2874 Posts

get a ps3 then the next time a your system or game updates you will have plenty of time to contemplate why you were paying a fee.

maybe it's a rip off but for real it always seemed to me that ms charged me money while sony charged me time.

i can make more money but i can't make more time so in this case i can deal with getting ripped off.

Riverwolf007
But..time IS money isn't it. mind = blown.
LP4EVA2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 LP4EVA2005
Member since 2004 • 8585 Posts
there's a simple solution to this.. switch over to a ps3 or pc where online gaming is free.
LOXO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 LOXO7

[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]

get a ps3 then the next time a your system or game updates you will have plenty of time to contemplate why you were paying a fee.

maybe it's a rip off but for real it always seemed to me that ms charged me money while sony charged me time.

i can make more money but i can't make more time so in this case i can deal with getting ripped off.

RavenLoud

But..time IS money isn't it. mind = blown.

I spend time at stores looking for things to buy. Instead of MS thanking me for my purchase of the 360 and for my time I'm going to spend with them, they put a price on it. I pay for my own time. I'm not going to pay for MS time. They aren't going to trick me into thinking I'm paying for my own entertainment time, when it is really MS time to began with. Because they made the point in telling me so. XBL is their time.

jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#75 jalexbrown
Member since 2006 • 11432 Posts
I think the reason is pretty obvious: supply and demand still works.
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44620 Posts
the $5/month the XBL costs me is really nothing, learn to be a little frugal the money is there, skip a trip to Starbucks, don't buy popcorn or soda at the movies (or don't go to the movies for that matter). Anyhow, back in the day I used to go to the arcade after school like everyday, I could easily spend maybe $5 a trip and not complain, $5 gets you online gaming for a month. Now with the bills I gotta pay each and every month I barely notice these things like XBL gold fees, I've got rent, car insurance, health and dental insurance, utilities, cable, high speed internet, groceries, gas, my cigarettes, etc, that $5 to help me ignore all that is really nothing
vkun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 vkun
Member since 2010 • 270 Posts

I asked someone this but the thread was locked before he could respond so Ill ask it here.

Do you think it would be more fair and the right thing to do, if Microsoft included P2P for XBL Silver and kept all the bells and whistles in XBL Gold so people arent forced to pay for the bells and whistles when all they really want is the P2P?

LOXO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 LOXO7

the $5/month the XBL costs me is really nothing, learn to be a little frugal the money is there, skip a trip to Starbucks, don't buy popcorn or soda at the movies (or don't go to the movies for that matter). Anyhow, back in the day I used to go to the arcade after school like everyday, I could easily spend maybe $5 a trip and not complain, $5 gets you online gaming for a month. Now with the bills I gotta pay each and every month I barely notice these things like XBL gold fees, I've got rent, car insurance, health and dental insurance, utilities, cable, high speed internet, groceries, gas, my cigarettes, etc, that $5 to help me ignore all that is really nothinglamprey263

Exactly. I spend two ways. Time and money. I pay for the ticket and the time to watch the movie. I pay for the popcorn and the time it takes for me to eat it. I pay for the games and the time I spend with them. I'm not going to spend more money for the same amount of gaming time. If I could freeze time itself. Then I would pay for XBL. Because I can't see the service being actually something like a movie ticket, popcorn, or a game. The service being actually called a service is stupid. Services are supposed to do something for you. The service of taking more of my money. Yes it is. If I paid.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Because Microsoft says so. You bought the console getting into that. Enjoy your stay. Personally I'm glad I'm actually spending the amount on actual products than the privilege to access it.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
the $5/month the XBL costs me is really nothing, learn to be a little frugal the money is there, skip a trip to Starbucks, don't buy popcorn or soda at the movies (or don't go to the movies for that matter). Anyhow, back in the day I used to go to the arcade after school like everyday, I could easily spend maybe $5 a trip and not complain, $5 gets you online gaming for a month. Now with the bills I gotta pay each and every month I barely notice these things like XBL gold fees, I've got rent, car insurance, health and dental insurance, utilities, cable, high speed internet, groceries, gas, my cigarettes, etc, that $5 to help me ignore all that is really nothinglamprey263
If only you could spend money on the service in that sense. It's called saving, and low and behold money can be saved on anything; bills. Difference is Live Gold is a completely unnecessary cost added for the sake of it, and I am glad to have the options to save my money by not putting it towards it; let alone being able to play all my games not on the platform online when I choose.
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#81 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts

Because lots of people are willing to. If you don't want to pay, don't. If you must play games online and you don't want to pay then play on a different platform.

Whatuptho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Whatuptho
Member since 2008 • 392 Posts

XBL fee isnt added to the retail price of a 360, so ur not being forced

u choose to do so at a later time if u wanna hop online

dachase

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 dachase
Member since 2005 • 808 Posts

Its not about how much it costs, its about paying for something everyone else gets for free. The price tag shouldnt be there and anyone using the oh it doesnt cost much argument is trying to justify an unnecassary purchase.

PC gamers can buy a game and play multiplayer

PS3 gamers can buy a game and play multiplayer

Wii gamers can buy a game and play multiplayer

360 gamers can buy a game, make sure Live is paid for, before they can play multiplayer

you see what we're getting at. It'd be like buying a toothbrush and then having to pay a monthly fee for brushing your teeth because the manufacturer says it has more features than any other toothbrush so the price tag is justified. All while everyone else is doing the exact same thing for free.

Having used Live and PSN, as far as playing a multiplayer game, lets just say CoD4, there is absolutely nothing different between them. MS could offer online play for free but then how would they convince people to buy the useless features in Gold?

gamer-adam1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 gamer-adam1

No one here who is against XboxLive can prove with facts that XBoxLive should be free

There is no other service like it

Brownesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Brownesque

No one here who is against XboxLive can prove with facts that XBoxLive should be free

gamer-adam1
Steam > XBL BTW Windows Live is free lol and it's the same thing
vkun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 vkun
Member since 2010 • 270 Posts

I asked someone this but the thread was locked before he could respond so Ill ask it here.

Do you think it would be more fair and the right thing to do, if Microsoft included P2P for XBL Silver and kept all the bells and whistles in XBL Gold so people arent forced to pay for the bells and whistles when all they really want is the P2P?

vkun

I knew no one had the balls to respond to my question.

iAtrocious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#87 iAtrocious
Member since 2010 • 1567 Posts

You aren't being "forced to pay". It's your own fault for being stupid and not checking the features that the 360 offers you, and seeing if you wanted them. If you want to play games online, get a Wii, a PS3 or a PC.

I don't know why I bother, though: you probably don't even have a 360.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

xbox live is an elite service... some people cant afford it.. simple as that.

if you want cheese and crackers go on psn.

gamer-adam1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 gamer-adam1

[QUOTE="gamer-adam1"]

Brownesque

no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no NO

Steam and GFWL ARE NOT THE SAME AS XBOXLIVE

question, can I play BF2, Badcompany 2, Mass Effect2, Eve Online, Arma 2, Age of empires 3 without Steam or GFWL?

If I cant go online, does that mean Steam or GFWL is down, would I call them to ask them why I cant play BF2 online?

they are not the same service, thats why they are free because why would they charge you money to go to there store?

Does Steam or GFWL effect anything when you are playing online?

RapidTurtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 RapidTurtle
Member since 2010 • 344 Posts

People should just stop complaining about it, and switch over to PS3 or a PC. That is what I did when they announced the increase. From what I have seen so far, playing on PSN is just as good as Live. Same amount of Lag on both (very little on both), and I have had no issues playing Black Ops on PSN. People should show their discontent with their wallets. The problem is that M$ has most of us brainwashed, making you think that you are paying for content like Netflix, Facebook, twitter, etc... I can access all of that with no fee's on PSN, so it is pretty much a no brainer. With the PS3's lineup this year, and the software that I picked up from past years, I have a ton of games to play and look forward to. It amazes me that people still choose a 360 over the PS3. The value and quality is in Sony's console.

RadecSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#91 RadecSupreme
Member since 2009 • 4824 Posts

[QUOTE="Brownesque"][QUOTE="gamer-adam1"]

gamer-adam1

question, can I play BF2, Badcompany 2, Mass Effect2, Eve Online, Arma 2, Age of empires 3 without Steam or GFWL?

If I cant go online, does that mean Steam or GFWL is down, would I call them to ask them why I cant play BF2 online?

they are not the same service, thats why they are free because why would they charge you money to go to there store?

GFWL sucks, however Steam defeats everything. And yes, Steam does effect games as there is steam cloud and there is a friend´s list, invites, and voice chat, and anything else that xbox live has for gaming plus more.

Brownesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Brownesque

[QUOTE="Brownesque"][QUOTE="gamer-adam1"]

gamer-adam1

If you don't know anything about the service why do you have to comment

Yes you can play all those games w/o Steam or GFWL

If you can't go online you play them in Steam in offline mode

Steam has friends lists, groups, an in-game instant messenger, party chat, VOIP, group events, cross-game invites, auto update, Valve anti-cheat, achievements, usage-related stat tracking, and even an in-game web browser. Steam also manages and organizes all your mods. Using Steam you can create and organize clan scrims, find a player through social networking to replace a lost player in said scrim, and invite said player onto a private server, IMing him the password. I've done that a number of times through Steam.

Steam is a superior service in part of what it does not do, namely dictate what content you can play, what servers you can play on, or how you host your games. That means that unlike on Xbox Live you can download and play mods, custom maps, and sound files. You can also play on player hosted dedicated servers or even host your own private or public server on a listen or dedicated server.

Games for Windows Live Gold used to not be free. Actually, it used to accept Xbox Live Gold subscription cards. After PC gamers basically mass-boycotted it, Microsoft realized that they needed to make it free for people to even use the service, largely because other widely available free services like Steam and XFire were superior, and partly because most of the "features" of Games for Windows Live involved taking their ability to play freely and host their own game servers away from them. In short, there was no good reason for anyone to pay for GFWL on the PC platform.

Avatar image for thecapsaicinkid
thecapsaicinkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 thecapsaicinkid
Member since 2009 • 72 Posts

Arguing a particular luxury item should be free like it's some sort of human right is generally something people grow out of. We're not talking about clean water or freedom of speech here people. Xbox Live is what it is, you deem it money well spent, you pay for it, you don't then well.. you don't. There really is nothing to discuss.

Brownesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Brownesque

Arguing a particular luxury item should be free like it's some sort of human right is generally something people grow out of. We're not talking about clean water or freedom of speech here people. Xbox Live is what it is, you deem it money well spent, you pay for it, you don't then well.. you don't. There really is nothing to discuss.

thecapsaicinkid

This is system wars.

edidili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 edidili
Member since 2004 • 3449 Posts

thecapsaicinkid

Apparently playing multiplayer online in a game you bought is luxury for xbox owners lol

LordRork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#96 LordRork
Member since 2004 • 2692 Posts

thecapsaicinkid

You're right, of course. But every other console and the PC offers the same (or at least very similar) service for free. On an objective level, it would make people want to look elsewhere if you can get the same thing free...few people can resist free stuff ;) .

MS are tying one arm behind their back when it comes to offering online gaming and services compared to their competitors.

thecapsaicinkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 thecapsaicinkid

But every other console and the PC offers the same (or at least very similar) service for free.

LordRork

Indeed they do. And?

People are effectively saying, "This whatever should be free/cheaper because I want it." Like I say, something most people give up on around the age of 12.

thecapsaicinkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 thecapsaicinkid

you see what we're getting at. It'd be like buying a toothbrush and then having to pay a monthly fee for brushing your teeth because the manufacturer says it has more features than any other toothbrush so the price tag is justified. All while everyone else is doing the exact same thing for free.

dachase

So, you would buy the product you didn't think was good value and then you would go on the internet and tell others you were forced in to it. And this is somehow someone else's fault??

Interesting.

freakshowfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 freakshowfreak
Member since 2003 • 298 Posts

The mostly p2p online gaming on the 360 with required gold account is discusting.....

I't not like you pay live and have a connection you still need you provider for that so what do you pay for ???

the voice chat is horible campared to pc alternatives the game points is fun but doesn't justify the gold and the rest you get is advertisement.

I like my xbox for the few games that arent on the pc but if I have to choose between the 2 I know wich I would keep. :)

you can argue what you want but the mostly mindless microsoft zombies think and will keep onthinking they get elite gold stuff.......brain.......must eat brain.......uhnnnnngh

and yes you are forced if you want to play online with a xbox because there is no alternative to it.

Upparoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Upparoom
Member since 2010 • 2111 Posts

[QUOTE="ArchonOver"]

Just switch over to PC. STEEEEAM.

blackace

LOL!! No. Why would anyone want to do that? Too troublesome for most gamers. PC gaming is more for the techies. Casual PC gamers play games on the internet.

Plenty of hardcore gamers use Steam. It's a great service with great deals on games :?