Xbox Live: Why am I being forced to pay, to play games online?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Peerbreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#101 Peerbreed
Member since 2009 • 224 Posts
Didn't you know the MS charged you for live? I mean it's been there since day one. You still bought it. So there is your answer. It isn't like there weren't other systems to play on that didn't charge you.
antifanboyftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102 antifanboyftw
Member since 2007 • 2214 Posts
[QUOTE="gamer-adam1"]

No one here who is against XboxLive can prove with facts that XBoxLive should be free

There is no other service like it

actually it is the opposite. no ond can prove the value of xbox live. people pay for it merely because they have to if they want to access half of the game that they paid for.
RavenLoud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 RavenLoud
Member since 2009 • 2874 Posts

No one here who is against XboxLive can prove with facts that XBoxLive should be free

There is no other service like it ON CONSOLES

gamer-adam1

Fixed before the you get burned to hell.

EDIT: Too late :P

theuncharted34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 theuncharted34
Member since 2010 • 14529 Posts

[QUOTE="gamer-adam1"]

There is no other service like it ON CONSOLES

RavenLoud

Fixed before the you get burned to hell.

EDIT: Too late :P

He was right the first time.

There is no other service like it. ...In a bad way :P

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts
They seem to justify it with other features such as Netflix, last.fm, Facebook, Twitter, ESPN, and all those other applications that a lot of gamers have no use for. All I want to do, as well as a lot of other gamers, is play online. I think Silver should include online play, while the paid Gold subscribtion should include all of the other extras.
godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#107 godzillavskong
Member since 2007 • 7904 Posts

[QUOTE="gamer-adam1"]

[QUOTE="Brownesque"] Steam > XBL BTW Windows Live is free lol and it's the same thingBrownesque

no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no NO

Steam and GFWL ARE NOT THE SAME AS XBOXLIVE

question, can I play BF2, Badcompany 2, Mass Effect2, Eve Online, Arma 2, Age of empires 3 without Steam or GFWL?

If I cant go online, does that mean Steam or GFWL is down, would I call them to ask them why I cant play BF2 online?

they are not the same service, thats why they are free because why would they charge you money to go to there store?

Does Steam or GFWL effect anything when you are playing online?

If you don't know anything about the service why do you have to comment

Yes you can play all those games w/o Steam or GFWL

If you can't go online you play them in Steam in offline mode

Steam has friends lists, groups, an in-game instant messenger, party chat, VOIP, group events, cross-game invites, auto update, Valve anti-cheat, achievements, usage-related stat tracking, and even an in-game web browser. Steam also manages and organizes all your mods. Using Steam you can create and organize clan scrims, find a player through social networking to replace a lost player in said scrim, and invite said player onto a private server, IMing him the password. I've done that a number of times through Steam.

Steam is a superior service in part of what it does not do, namely dictate what content you can play, what servers you can play on, or how you host your games. That means that unlike on Xbox Live you can download and play mods, custom maps, and sound files. You can also play on player hosted dedicated servers or even host your own private or public server on a listen or dedicated server.

Games for Windows Live Gold used to not be free. Actually, it used to accept Xbox Live Gold subscription cards. After PC gamers basically mass-boycotted it, Microsoft realized that they needed to make it free for people to even use the service, largely because other widely available free services like Steam and XFire were superior, and partly because most of the "features" of Games for Windows Live involved taking their ability to play freely and host their own game servers away from them. In short, there was no good reason for anyone to pay for GFWL on the PC platform.

Wow! Then it's done! We should tell Microsoft to make Xbox Live free because there are competitors out there that offer a similar service for PC's, yet they don't charge. On a serious note, I think Xbox Live may be a bit costly to maintain, because it has always been a great service, with constant updates, and I have no problem with them recouping some of the $$ from that. I also feel better about complaining to a agent if there is a issue with a service that I pay for, vs one that is free. Microsoft isn't going to change their business model on Xbox Live and we now have Sony , and Nintendo looking over their shoulder , and seeing that Microsoft is getting a return on the costs of maintaining such service,and possibly planning on doing the same.
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#108 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

your not forced, you knew the stakes when you bought the system it wasn't dropped on you half way through you chose to pay into xbox 360, its games, and xbox live if you didn't like it you should have chose another system you have choices.

WilliamRLBaker

How cool is it to get a game where all of the features for it require Xbox Live and you don't have it?

themyth01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#109 themyth01
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts
Who's forcing you? are they holding a gun to your head? you could just, you know, not pay...
themyth01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#110 themyth01
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts

[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]

your not forced, you knew the stakes when you bought the system it wasn't dropped on you half way through you chose to pay into xbox 360, its games, and xbox live if you didn't like it you should have chose another system you have choices.

LegatoSkyheart

How cool is it to get a game where all of the features for it require Xbox Live and you don't have it?

Why would you get a game with xlive features if you don't have it?!
stvee101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 stvee101
Member since 2006 • 2953 Posts

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]

themyth01

Mmm... birthday/Xmas present?

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#112 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]

themyth01

Go ahead and tell me how freakin' great Halo, Left 4 Dead, Shadow Run and Call of Duty are without Xbox Live.

Avatar image for worldsworstgame
worldsworstgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 worldsworstgame
Member since 2010 • 180 Posts

Doesn't this get old, your not being "forced" to do anything, leave go play Ps3 or PC.

Ultra_Combo
Took the words right out of my mouth
Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts
Because of the same reasons you're "forced" to pay for anything: supply and demand. Its manufacturer choose to charge for it, the consumer answered positively.
Go ahead and tell me how freakin' great Halo, Left 4 Dead, Shadow Run and Call of Duty are without Xbox Live.LegatoSkyheart
I actually enjoyed Black Ops and Reach greatly without XBL. But regardless, he made a good. Why would somebody get a multiplayer-centric game without being able to play its multiplayer?
theuncharted34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 theuncharted34

Because of the same reasons you're "forced" to pay for anything: supply and demand. Its manufacturer choose to charge for it, the consumer answered positively. [QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]Go ahead and tell me how freakin' great Halo, Left 4 Dead, Shadow Run and Call of Duty are without Xbox Live.IronBass
I actually enjoyed Black Ops and Reach greatly without XBL. But regardless, he made a good. Why would somebody get a multiplayer-centric game without being able to play its multiplayer?

err.. really? ...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 deactivated-63f6895020e66
err.. really? ...theuncharted34
Yes, really.
CBCstillmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#117 CBCstillmatic
Member since 2008 • 81 Posts

Nobody is being forced to do anything. Did someone hold a gun to your head and make you choose the 360 over PS3? Why Microsoft charges is simple, Sony doesn't support PSN the way Microsoft supports LIVE and you get what you pay for. I have both and LIVE is light years beyond PSN. It only works out to a couple dollars a month but you people act like they charge $200 a year or something. Everyone is entitle to their own opinion and if yours is that LIVE isn't worth it then there are other options.

I personally love party chat, cross game chat and just the way everything is seamlessly built across the platform no matter what game your playing. It is much easier to communicate with friends and get together than it is on PSN. They also give the bi yearly dashboard updates that add features or improve features that gamers ask for and you can thank GOLD members and the fee they pay for them maintaining LIVE and the 360 the way they do. PSN is free and it shows, it isn't even close in neither quality nor features compared to LIVE. Yes online gaming is the most important feature and is free on PSN but for those of us that use the features LIVE has that PSN don't the fee is well worth it. Anyone can claim they are the same but anyone who has both knows this isn't true. I can't imagine anyone would buy a 360 without LIVE in mind. If the consensus on these forums is that PS3 has better exclusives and free online and you don't want to pay for LIVE then why get the 360 over the PS3 in the first place?

I must not be the only one to feel this way cause there are what? tens of millions of LIVE subscribers and more signing up every day? those millions outnumber the few hundred on these forums that bash LIVE for charging, but hey the happy people must just be rich, stupid or not real gamers right? Hell if Sony offered these features for the $50 instead of free mini games and demos I would gladly pay them too. I am a Plus subscriber and would trade the free content for LIVE like features in a heartbeat for the $50/year. But that is my opinion cause I don't ever play the free games and find them useless but I am sure there are people that do like it just like there are people that use the extra features of LIVE.

theuncharted34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 theuncharted34

[QUOTE="theuncharted34"]err.. really? ...IronBass
Yes, really.

Well, I'm not here to judge. But the game is mediocre. :)

Avatar image for Raymundo_Manuel
Raymundo_Manuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 Raymundo_Manuel
Member since 2010 • 4641 Posts

[QUOTE="IronBass"][QUOTE="theuncharted34"]err.. really? ...theuncharted34

Yes, really.

You can't just say you're not here to judge, and then follow it up with a judgement :P

theuncharted34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 theuncharted34

[QUOTE="theuncharted34"]

[QUOTE="IronBass"] Yes, really.Raymundo_Manuel

You can't just say you're not here to judge, and then follow it up with a judgement :P

I didn't judge him though. I judged the game :P

Raymundo_Manuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 Raymundo_Manuel

[QUOTE="Raymundo_Manuel"]

[QUOTE="theuncharted34"]

theuncharted34

My point still stands :D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 deactivated-63f6895020e66

[QUOTE="IronBass"][QUOTE="theuncharted34"]err.. really? ...theuncharted34

Yes, really.

Every game in existence is mediocre. Or good. Depending on who you ask.
theuncharted34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 theuncharted34

[QUOTE="theuncharted34"]

Raymundo_Manuel

My point still stands :D

:x should have been more specific.

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#124 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

You are using their servers. They require upkeep. You don't like it, play the PS3 or PC. Nobody is forcing you to do anything. I pay for Live because I believe the online to be much better integrated into games than the PS3 or PC. I will pay for the convenience.

theuncharted34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 theuncharted34

You are using their servers. They require upkeep. You don't like it, play the PS3 or PC. Nobody is forcing you to do anything. I pay for Live because I believe the online to be much better integrated into games than the PS3 or PC. I will pay for the convenience.

Rekunta

P2P servers don't really require upkeep though...

iAtrocious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 iAtrocious
Member since 2010 • 1567 Posts

[QUOTE="Rekunta"]

theuncharted34

P2P servers don't really require upkeep though...

This is true. As far as online gaming goes, XBL offers you no benefit at all. I think Rekunta meant that it's easier to invite friends and interact in XBL, whilst having Cross-party chat. At least I remember a friend of mine that used to complaint that he couldn't invite one of his friends to a match of Street Fighter IV. Don't know if that was game-specific, console-wide or if it's been fixed.

Raymundo_Manuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 Raymundo_Manuel

[QUOTE="theuncharted34"]

[QUOTE="IronBass"] Yes, really.IronBass

Specifically

Every game you like is mediocre, and every game I like is good

theuncharted34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 theuncharted34

[QUOTE="IronBass"][QUOTE="theuncharted34"]

Raymundo_Manuel

Specifically

what if he likes rayman 2?

godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#129 godzillavskong
Member since 2007 • 7904 Posts

[QUOTE="IronBass"] Every game in existence is mediocre. Or good. Depending on who you ask.theuncharted34

Specifically

what if he likes rayman 2?

Too funny!!
Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 Zen_Light
Member since 2010 • 2143 Posts

I pay for it just for my Halo fix, but I don't like having to pay for Live just for that. I think it's a big rip off.

RECON64bit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 RECON64bit
Member since 2008 • 640 Posts

I have a better question. Why do we need another thread? Every week we get one or two of these. It's getting tiresome to hear the same whiny arguments by people who, optimistically, have a 50% chance of actually owning a product rather than just pretending to give more weight to their moaning. I was ready to explain why it is some of us don't care but then it occurred to me. None of the people who don't like paying for Xbox Live want a reason. They don't care beyond griping and fussing. Beyond criticizing Microsoft. They aren't really looking for any kind of justification. No one ever does. It's just a means to slander. Listen to the arguments and then discard them.AncientDozer

I hate how typical people who say "we don't need another thread" or "we don't need to hear.." when they can simply ignore the thread instead of complaining about what I make my threads about. There are several other threads you could have clicked, but you chose this one.

CBCstillmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 CBCstillmatic

[QUOTE="AncientDozer"]I have a better question. Why do we need another thread? Every week we get one or two of these. It's getting tiresome to hear the same whiny arguments by people who, optimistically, have a 50% chance of actually owning a product rather than just pretending to give more weight to their moaning. I was ready to explain why it is some of us don't care but then it occurred to me. None of the people who don't like paying for Xbox Live want a reason. They don't care beyond griping and fussing. Beyond criticizing Microsoft. They aren't really looking for any kind of justification. No one ever does. It's just a means to slander. Listen to the arguments and then discard them.RECON64bit

I hate how typical people who say "we don't need another thread" or "we don't need to hear.." when they can simply ignore the thread instead of complaining about what I make my threads about. There are several other threads you could have clicked, but you chose this one.

Sort of like those who don't want to pay for LIVE can simply just ignore it? When you simply could have ignored the 360 instead of purchasing it anyway then complaining about paying for LIVE? There are plenty of PS3's in stock you could have purchased, but you chose the 360.

RECON64bit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 RECON64bit
Member since 2008 • 640 Posts

[QUOTE="RECON64bit"]

[QUOTE="AncientDozer"]I have a better question. Why do we need another thread? Every week we get one or two of these. It's getting tiresome to hear the same whiny arguments by people who, optimistically, have a 50% chance of actually owning a product rather than just pretending to give more weight to their moaning. I was ready to explain why it is some of us don't care but then it occurred to me. None of the people who don't like paying for Xbox Live want a reason. They don't care beyond griping and fussing. Beyond criticizing Microsoft. They aren't really looking for any kind of justification. No one ever does. It's just a means to slander. Listen to the arguments and then discard them.CBCstillmatic

Sort of like those who don't want to pay for LIVE can simply just ignore it? When you simply could have ignored the 360 instead of purchasing it anyway then complaining about paying for LIVE? There are plenty of PS3's in stock you could have purchased, but you chose the 360.

Look, the time I got the 360 was a time it had titles that interested me more than the games on the PS3. Also the PS3 was too pricey for a game console, so I wasn't gonna get that. So I got myself a 360 arcade, and then got the harddrive once I decided to really invest in it, and buy stuff off the marketplace. So no I could not have just gotten the PS3 instead, I felt the systems were similar enough, but the 360 was cheaper. Made more sense to me.

CBCstillmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 CBCstillmatic

[QUOTE="CBCstillmatic"]

[QUOTE="RECON64bit"]

RECON64bit

Look, the time I got the 360 was a time it had titles that interested me more than the games on the PS3. Also the PS3 was too pricey for a game console, so I wasn't gonna get that. So I got myself a 360 arcade, and then got the harddrive once I decided to really invest in it, and buy stuff off the marketplace. So no I could not have just gotten the PS3 instead, I felt the systems were similar enough, but the 360 was cheaper. Made more sense to me.

Right and I can understand that, when the PS3 was a $600 BEAST. But still you don't have to pay for LIVE if you don't want to, I know you say you have invested to much into the 360 but if it bothered you that much you could trade it in and get a PS3. Like I said I have both and PSN cannot hold a candle to LIVE in my honest opinion. I know others will disagree but paying for LIVE is well worth it to me as it is to others. I don't mean to bash you but the simple fact remains that complaining about it isn't going to change anything, though I am sure you are just venting. When millions upon millions of gamers pay for LIVE and those numbers grow by the day then it is safe to say Microsoft won't be changing it anytime soon.

You should just embrace it and learn to love the features that make it worth paying for or you do have other options. Have you ever played a PS3 or on PSN? If not you should and you would see that the $60 for LIVE isn't really that bad(well you can get the subscription cards for $35-$40 online). Sure the idea of playing online for free sounds nice but I can tell you when I jump on to play MAG or Killzone 2, I instantly miss the features built into LIVE.

sdbobplissken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 sdbobplissken
Member since 2008 • 93 Posts

uh you bought a MICROSOFT product bro,

theres a reason people put a $ in M$

PC, PS3, WII - all 100% free online

but its your money

XboximusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 XboximusPrime
Member since 2009 • 5405 Posts

Because its probaly the most cohesive online of the consoles, and apparently MS believes that worth 60 bucks a year.

monson21502

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 monson21502
Member since 2009 • 8230 Posts

go buy a ps3 and then buy 2 copies for the same game then play them onboth systemsalot in the same. week and you will see why

sony has 2 things they try to get people to pay for. quore and psn + quore failed then they bring out psn + in a last ditch effort to cash in on ms`s succes from xblg. next gen all 3 will be charging. nintendo already said they want to start charging and when psn+ fails to get sony the money they want. they will make you pay to play... just be thankful for ms from forcing sony to step it up or you could be getting wii online on ps4 next gen

XboximusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 XboximusPrime
Member since 2009 • 5405 Posts

go buy a ps3 and then buy 2 copies for the same game then play them onboth systemsalot in the same. week and you will see why

sony has 2 things they try to get people to pay for. quore and psn + quore failed then they bring out psn + in a last ditch effort to cash in on ms`s succes from xblg. next gen all 3 will be charging. nintendo already said they want to start charging and when psn+ fails to get sony the money they want. they will make you pay to play... just be thankful for ms from forcing sony to step it up or you could be getting wii online on ps4 next gen

monson21502

Qore ahs done anything but fail. theyre actualy miles better then they were back when they started, and getting it free with PS Plus is just a perk. PS Plus is actualy super good and isnt really a last ditch anything. And honestly Live isnt miles better then PSN anymore. Both are rather comperable.

Supabul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#140 Supabul
Member since 2004 • 4266 Posts

Another person complaining about paying $60 a year, Yeah its $60 a year, who can't afford $60 a year, break it down its less than 1.25 a week, I spend that on a coffee ever day

freakshowfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 freakshowfreak
Member since 2003 • 298 Posts

Another person complaining about paying $60 a year, Yeah its $60 a year, who can't afford $60 a year, break it down its less than 1.25 a week, I spend that on a coffee ever day

Supabul

it's not about can or can't afford..........

and with your coffee you are actually getting a product you pay for.....

as for live you get 0 I mean almost all games are p2p that means it could be you hosting........... it's not as they do that for you....

you pay to be able to use your already payed internet for to play online with a game you already payed for wich has also had royalty's for microsoft on to start with......

in the end you get nothing special with gold and your just a stupid milking cow.................... but hey mate at least you could afford it.........

AND REMEMBER THE WORLD IS FLAT PEOPLE

AND ELVIS LIVES

Avatar image for deactivated-5ec2b2cb7a41e
deactivated-5ec2b2cb7a41e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#142 deactivated-5ec2b2cb7a41e
Member since 2008 • 2058 Posts

[QUOTE="Supabul"]

freakshowfreak

it's not about can or can't afford..........

and with your coffee you are actually getting a product you pay for.....

as for live you get 0 I mean almost all games are p2p that means it could be you hosting........... it's not as they do that for you....

you pay to be able to use your already payed internet for to play online with a game you already payed for wich has also had royalty's for microsoft on to start with......

in the end you get nothing special with gold and your just a stupid milking cow.................... but hey mate at least you could afford it.........

AND REMEMBER THE WORLD IS FLAT PEOPLE

AND ELVIS LIVES

this exactly
Tangmashi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 Tangmashi
Member since 2007 • 1093 Posts

[QUOTE="Ultra_Combo"]

[QUOTE="dommeus"] They charge because people continue to pay. If they stopped paying, MS would rescind the charge. My Live ran out in Dec and I don't plan on renewing it any time soon.RECON64bit

What what do you mean your not renewing , your forced to :roll: /thread

Well if I want to play Xbox 360 games online then I have no choice but to pay, so I am being forced aren't I?

More like coerced.

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 HuusAsking
Member since 2006 • 15270 Posts

I'm pretty sure Sony is gonna charge online next gen. PSN hasn't been profitable for Sony and they are hoping to actually make a profit with PSN this year. Maybe by selling more PSN Plus subscriptions. LOL.

jimmypsn
Thing is, isn't the free online one of the reasons this generation's gap between 360 and PS3 has been as close as it has: because of disgruntled players who want to be able to play what they paid for with no strings attached?
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 HuusAsking
[QUOTE="lamprey263"]the $5/month the XBL costs me is really nothing, learn to be a little frugal the money is there, skip a trip to Starbucks, don't buy popcorn or soda at the movies (or don't go to the movies for that matter). Anyhow, back in the day I used to go to the arcade after school like everyday, I could easily spend maybe $5 a trip and not complain, $5 gets you online gaming for a month. Now with the bills I gotta pay each and every month I barely notice these things like XBL gold fees, I've got rent, car insurance, health and dental insurance, utilities, cable, high speed internet, groceries, gas, my cigarettes, etc, that $5 to help me ignore all that is really nothingskrat_01
If only you could spend money on the service in that sense. It's called saving, and low and behold money can be saved on anything; bills. Difference is Live Gold is a completely unnecessary cost added for the sake of it, and I am glad to have the options to save my money by not putting it towards it; let alone being able to play all my games not on the platform online when I choose.

Indeed, some would say you're being ripped off because you're paying for both the offline and online parts of the game, yet unless you pay the extra subscription, you can't play online. It's like...buying a car and finding you have to pay a dollar each time you want to open the trunk--or worse, the gas cap. Or worse, what if you're off the Net and can't use the online part even if you want to. That'd be like the only car in your little part of New Mexico possessing snow tires. And don't say get a PS3 because maybe all my friends are on 360s and only 360s, which means getting a PS3 is going to lock me out and remove my incentive to play online anyway (no friends). If Microsoft is going to continue with this model, I say separate the offline and online components of these games, sell the offline part on disc for say $10 less and let those who can play the game online pay the 800 Points ($10) to download the online component. That way, only the people who are capable of using the online part can obtain and use it.
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 HuusAsking

[QUOTE="RECON64bit"]

[QUOTE="Ultra_Combo"]

What what do you mean your not renewing , your forced to :roll: /thread

Tangmashi

Well if I want to play Xbox 360 games online then I have no choice but to pay, so I am being forced aren't I?

More like coerced.

Coercion can be pretty potent..especially when your friends are on the 360 as well.
iAtrocious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 iAtrocious

[QUOTE="Tangmashi"]

[QUOTE="RECON64bit"]

HuusAsking

More like coerced.

Coercion can be pretty potent..especially when your friends are on the 360 as well.

Your going to blame Microsoft for advertising their products so much that your friends bought it, as well?

Sheesh, there ARElimits, people.

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 HuusAsking

[QUOTE="HuusAsking"][QUOTE="Tangmashi"]

More like coerced.

iAtrocious

Your going to blame Microsoft for advertising their products so much that your friends bought it, as well?

Even tried to buy popcorn or anything else (besides the ticket) at a theater? The term "Captive Market" springs to mind.

iAtrocious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 iAtrocious

[QUOTE="iAtrocious"]

[QUOTE="HuusAsking"]Coercion can be pretty potent..especially when your friends are on the 360 as well.HuusAsking

Even tried to buy popcorn or anything else (besides the ticket) at a theater? The term "Captive Market" springs to mind.

So, now you're also claiming that the 360 has no competition? What happened to the PS3, the PC and the Wii?

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

[QUOTE="RECON64bit"]

I really do not understand why I am being charged to play video games online. I understand Xbox Live has other features that we have to pay for but, I have no use for ESPN or facebook on Xbox 360. The only thing I want to do is play online, I couldn't care less about these extra feautures or Xbox live parties. Why can't online be free except foreverything else like Parties, ESPN and all the other useless garbage. I see no justification for raising the price either.

I've already invested a lot in the Xbox so I'm not gonna sell it, but I definately won't be getting their next console if they continue with this practice.

What is Microsoft's justification for charging me to play video games online?

Also this is on system wars because i'm pretty sure a post like this on Xbox forums would get me reported, and/or banned.

blackace

Their justification is to make a profit and keeps the servers that hold all the content up, running and available 24/7 for you to use. Sure PSN is free and that's why Sony continues to lose money from it on a daily basis. Sony actually pays a network vendor to keep PSN up and running. Sony doesn't regulate the various servers you play on. So if you can't play online and the server is owned buy the publisher, Sony can't help you. Also, these dedicated server can be shut down by publishers anytime they feel like it. No one is forcing your to pay. You don't want to pay, then don't. The money also goes to lease the building space where all these servers are stored.

Games are taken offline on Live all the time..

I still get a laugh that if you've been paying for Live since 2005 that you could essentially afford a free PS3 now.