The Official Skullgirls Hype Thread (56k Off The Set!) - 8.0 @ GameSpot

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Yangire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#301 Yangire
Member since 2010 • 8795 Posts

Whats amazing about all this is the fact that when Tatsunoko vs Capcom released all the fans of other consoles outside of the Wii were saying this one little excuse as to why they won't even try the game. That excuse was: NOBODY EVEN KNOWS THOSE CHARACTERS. Well lookey here, a new game where NOBODY REALLY KNOWS ANY OF THE CHARACTERS (at least Tatsunoko has some history worldwide) but these characters are COMPLETELY NEW and yet this game gets the Pass yet Tatsunoko vs Capcom gets dissed because nobody knows the characters? The truth was, they didn't want to play TvC because it wasn't on the PS3 or 360 regardless of how good the game is.nini200

The point of a crossover for some people is to see unrelated things that they like being together. If someone doesn't know whatever it is than there's not much fanservice with the crossover. Comparing a crossover game that people complained about not having many characters that they know to a new IP fighting game is kind of stupid.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#302 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

[QUOTE="finalfantasy94"]

[QUOTE="OneSanitarium"]

I figured the lack of move list would be a negative, but I'm surprised to see how Reverge handled the AI became a negative.

OneSanitarium

really lack of a move list. I mean wth were the devs thinking. This is a fighter. A move list should exist in this type of game. They should really patch that in after release. Also I can understand how the AI can be counted as a negative if even on the easier modes the ai beats the crap out of you. All that aside game sure looks pretty.

They apparently couldn't fit it in. They said they will patch it in at some point, it just wasn't as important as actually finishing the bulk of the game.

The reviewer could also be fairly bad at fighting games since teh AI is made to be smart. They focus on what the characters are designed for and do things like doing a meaty sweep on your wake up.

thats why I say if. Since im not sure is on the game or reviewer. I dont know I count a move list actually very important on the list of fighting games to do's. Since people dont have instant computer acess like other people and cant go online to see the move list and to those actually interested at first this could drive people away cause it would be a anoyence.

OneSanitarium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#303 OneSanitarium
Member since 2009 • 6959 Posts

[QUOTE="OneSanitarium"]

[QUOTE="finalfantasy94"]

really lack of a move list. I mean wth were the devs thinking. This is a fighter. A move list should exist in this type of game. They should really patch that in after release. Also I can understand how the AI can be counted as a negative if even on the easier modes the ai beats the crap out of you. All that aside game sure looks pretty.

finalfantasy94

They apparently couldn't fit it in. They said they will patch it in at some point, it just wasn't as important as actually finishing the bulk of the game.

The reviewer could also be fairly bad at fighting games since teh AI is made to be smart. They focus on what the characters are designed for and do things like doing a meaty sweep on your wake up.

thats why I say if. Since im not sure is on the game or reviewer. I dont know I count a move list actually very important on the list of fighting games to do's. Since people dont have instant computer acess like other people and cant go online to see the move list and to those actually interested at first this could drive people away cause it would be a anoyence.

Well every move in the game uses a similar motion (QCF, QCB, DP, RDP, 360)......so I guess it encourages experiment?

And if you end up downloading the game you have to have access to the internet anyway.

OneSanitarium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#304 OneSanitarium

New review.

http://www.oxmonline.com/skullgirls-review?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

OneSanitarium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#305 OneSanitarium

I was told the reviews would be rolling in today.

And holy hell were they right.

Avatar image for RurouniSaiyajin
RurouniSaiyajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#306 RurouniSaiyajin
Member since 2007 • 4951 Posts

Glad to see the game managed an 8.5 over at IGN. I'm skimming through the review now. An 8 from OXM is pretty good too.

OneSanitarium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#307 OneSanitarium

The twinfinite review mentions the game having 9 characters.

Tomorrow we get to see!

OneSanitarium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#308 OneSanitarium

IGNs written part of the review.

Game Informer

I wonder how many more reviews will be in by the end of the day.

RurouniSaiyajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#309 RurouniSaiyajin

Tomorrow we get to see!

OneSanitarium

9 Characters? That'll be pretty interesting if it turns out to be true. Could be Marie as a secret final boss.

OneSanitarium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#310 OneSanitarium

[QUOTE="OneSanitarium"]

Tomorrow we get to see!

RurouniSaiyajin

9 Characters? That'll be pretty interesting if it turns out to be true. Could be Marie as a secret final boss.

Hopefully it's not a repeated typo. It probably will be Marie though if a typos not the case.

RurouniSaiyajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#311 RurouniSaiyajin

Hopefully it's not a repeated typo. It probably will be Marie though if a typos not the case.

OneSanitarium

It could indeed be a typo but for now, I'm leaning towards it being correct. The IGN video review mentioned that there's some slowdown during the final boss fight. Doesn't feel like there's a reason for that to happen unless something special happens. Oh well. Guess we'll see tomorrow or maybe another review will mention it.

OneSanitarium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#312 OneSanitarium

[QUOTE="OneSanitarium"]

RurouniSaiyajin

It could indeed be a typo but for now, I'm leaning towards it being correct. The IGN video review mentioned that there's some slowdown during the final boss fight. Doesn't feel like there's a reason for that to happen unless something special happens. Oh well. Guess we'll see tomorrow or maybe another review will mention it.

There might be a lot of things going on.

And if it's double it could very well be her cat heads..maybe even a boss only sort of version.

2013th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#313 2013th
Member since 2010 • 209 Posts

I'm probably not going to get it day 1, but that demo is going to be played like crazy lol.

OneSanitarium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#314 OneSanitarium

I'm probably not going to get it day 1, but that demo is going to be played like crazy lol.

2013th

Even has a full training mode with both Fillia and Cerebella.

RurouniSaiyajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#315 RurouniSaiyajin

There might be a lot of things going on.

And if it's double it could very well be her cat heads..maybe even a boss only sort of version.

OneSanitarium

This is indeed also possible. Guess there's really no way to know until we play it ourselves. Luckily, we only have to wait 1 more day ^,^

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#316 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

[QUOTE="nini200"]Whats amazing about all this is the fact that when Tatsunoko vs Capcom released all the fans of other consoles outside of the Wii were saying this one little excuse as to why they won't even try the game. That excuse was: NOBODY EVEN KNOWS THOSE CHARACTERS. Well lookey here, a new game where NOBODY REALLY KNOWS ANY OF THE CHARACTERS (at least Tatsunoko has some history worldwide) but these characters are COMPLETELY NEW and yet this game gets the Pass yet Tatsunoko vs Capcom gets dissed because nobody knows the characters? The truth was, they didn't want to play TvC because it wasn't on the PS3 or 360 regardless of how good the game is.Yangire

The point of a crossover for some people is to see unrelated things that they like being together. If someone doesn't know whatever it is than there's not much fanservice with the crossover. Comparing a crossover game that people complained about not having many characters that they know to a new IP fighting game is kind of stupid.

No that's trying to justify why their excuse to not play a Wii exclusive fighting game was a decent excuse. Most of the people didn't know Rocket Raccoon from Marvel yet he was one of the most played with characters on the game and in tournaments. Fact is, they didn't want to play it because it was on the Wii regardless of how good the game actually was.
nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#317 nini200

[QUOTE="nini200"]Whats amazing about all this is the fact that when Tatsunoko vs Capcom released all the fans of other consoles outside of the Wii were saying this one little excuse as to why they won't even try the game. That excuse was: NOBODY EVEN KNOWS THOSE CHARACTERS. Well lookey here, a new game where NOBODY REALLY KNOWS ANY OF THE CHARACTERS (at least Tatsunoko has some history worldwide) but these characters are COMPLETELY NEW and yet this game gets the Pass yet Tatsunoko vs Capcom gets dissed because nobody knows the characters? The truth was, they didn't want to play TvC because it wasn't on the PS3 or 360 regardless of how good the game is.OneSanitarium

....Okay?

That's pretty much entirely irrelevant.

I am interested in Skullgirls as it looks ok but gamers logic is just mind exploding some times
Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#318 Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts
Still undecided on getting it on Xbox or PS3 :(
Tikeio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#319 Tikeio
Member since 2011 • 5332 Posts

Still undecided on getting it on Xbox or PS3 :(Kaze_no_Mirai

Undecided on getting the game at all, or undecided on which version to get?

If it's the latter, I could see this game having a longer lasting online community on the PS3, since most fighting games do. And as far as controllers go, if you're going to be using a pad instead of a stick, you lose out anyway.

There aren't really any differences between the two versions. But if you have friends who are into fighting games, it would probably be best to buy it on the "it" console in your area.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#320 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

[QUOTE="OneSanitarium"]

[QUOTE="nini200"]Whats amazing about all this is the fact that when Tatsunoko vs Capcom released all the fans of other consoles outside of the Wii were saying this one little excuse as to why they won't even try the game. That excuse was: NOBODY EVEN KNOWS THOSE CHARACTERS. Well lookey here, a new game where NOBODY REALLY KNOWS ANY OF THE CHARACTERS (at least Tatsunoko has some history worldwide) but these characters are COMPLETELY NEW and yet this game gets the Pass yet Tatsunoko vs Capcom gets dissed because nobody knows the characters? The truth was, they didn't want to play TvC because it wasn't on the PS3 or 360 regardless of how good the game is.nini200

....Okay?

I am interested in Skullgirls as it looks ok but gamers logic is just mind exploding some times

It's not mind exploding, no one wants a fighter on the wii. There's absolutely zero benefit for that game being wii exclusive.

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#321 Kaze_no_Mirai

Undecided on getting the game at all, or undecided on which version to get?

If it's the latter, I could see this game having a longer lasting online community on the PS3, since most fighting games do. And as far as controllers go, if you're going to be using a pad instead of a stick, you lose out anyway.

There aren't really any differences between the two versions. But if you have friends who are into fighting games, it would probably be best to buy it on the "it" console in your area.

Tikeio

Yeah I meant the platform that I would get it on. I'm definitely getting it but not sure which console. I really don't have any friends on either service who play fighting games. Usually it's just FPS. I may end up caving in and picking it up on PSN since it comes out before :P

OneSanitarium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#322 OneSanitarium

Interview with Mike_Z.

http://shoryuken.com/2012/04/09/skullgirls-mike-z-talks-history-development-and-gameplay-philosophy/

Tikeio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#323 Tikeio
Member since 2011 • 5332 Posts

Teams can be one, two, or three characters, with smaller team sizes getting health and damage bonuses in return for sacrificing some versatility.Mike Z

Don't really like the sound of that.

Seems like you'd be better off with two-man teams, instead of one OP character or three Roll tier characters.

OneSanitarium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#324 OneSanitarium

[QUOTE="Mike Z"]Teams can be one, two, or three characters, with smaller team sizes getting health and damage bonuses in return for sacrificing some versatility.Tikeio

Don't really like the sound of that.

Seems like you'd be better off with two-man teams, instead of one OP character or three Roll tier characters.

3 character teams have opportunities to have a wider variety of play styles and longer combos (the IPS restarts for every new character that comes in but remembers for older characters.) You can be a bit more prepared with 2 assists as well as have assists that can accomplish (obvious statement incoming) more than ust one thing. An anti air assist and a combo extender assist, or a feint assist and a projectile assist. Hell even giving someone a grab.

Single teams don't have access to the 'alpha counters' as well as the usual team based mechanics and snap backs become wall bouncing combo extenders. In exchange they can deal a lot of damage and given the character, might have a fair amount of trouble actually getting in on the opposing team.

MikeZ was asked if people would be more drawn to single/double as the better choices and he said thats not the case. And hes been lugging the game around for location tests as well as weekly playtests for over a year and a hald.

Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#325 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts
When is the PC version supposed to come out?
OneSanitarium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#326 OneSanitarium

When is the PC version supposed to come out? SAGE_OF_FIRE

No one knows yet.

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#327 Kaze_no_Mirai
I'll be picking it up on PSN tomorrow, can't wait :D
OneSanitarium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#328 OneSanitarium

I'll be picking it up on PSN tomorrow, can't wait :D Kaze_no_Mirai

I've got my money already in place.

Just gotta refresh several times a minute until probably 6-7pm est.

Gonna be a loooooooooooong day.

OneSanitarium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#329 OneSanitarium

MikeZ will be on the UltraChen show in just a little bit.

http://www.twitch.tv/ultrachentv

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#330 Kaze_no_Mirai

[QUOTE="Kaze_no_Mirai"]I'll be picking it up on PSN tomorrow, can't wait :D OneSanitarium

I've got my money already in place.

Just gotta refresh several times a minute until probably 6-7pm est.

Gonna be a loooooooooooong day.

I guess its one of the upsides to living in the west coast :P Either way it will be a long wait
OneSanitarium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#331 OneSanitarium

It's on guize.

OneSanitarium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#332 OneSanitarium

Hitboxes look so goooooooood.

Valiant_Rebel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#333 Valiant_Rebel
Member since 2009 • 4197 Posts

It's on guize.

OneSanitarium

Everybody. I don't care how much you already know about the game. Watch this now.

AtlanticRock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#334 AtlanticRock
Member since 2007 • 8131 Posts

MikeZ will be on the UltraChen show in just a little bit.

OneSanitarium

Aww yeaaaah!

GemsChen is hype, loving every bit of news

Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#335 Ravensmash
Member since 2010 • 13862 Posts
Kind of interested in this, because I read an article from the developers which basically said that they're trying to open up the game to newcomers to the genre, through a solid tutorial system. Typically, EU PSN doesn't even have a release date yet (Sony have been absolutely awful with this lately), so I'll try the 360 demo.
Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#336 Ravensmash
Member since 2010 • 13862 Posts
http://www.edge-online.com/reviews/skullgirls-review Edge Review is up. Everything I hear about this tutorial system is making me lean towards it, despite my dislike of the visuals.
nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#337 nini200

[QUOTE="nini200"][QUOTE="OneSanitarium"]

....Okay?

GD1551

It's not mind exploding, no one wants a fighter on the wii. There's absolutely zero benefit for that game being wii exclusive.

It's the simple fact that they downplayed the game just because it WAS a Wii Exclusive and using ridiculous excuses such as "Nobody knows the characters". Isn't the point of fighting games , to LEARN the characters anyway? The fact is, this game proves the fact that fanboys of other consoles were just using that lame excuse to downplay a Wii Game that they wanted but since they didn't have it on their system, they instantly had to come up with a crap excuse to why it just couldn't be a good game. Mind you TvC is basically the EXACT same setup as MvC minus the Xfactor and NOBODY know Rocket Raccoon but as I stated earlier, he was the winning character in most of the tournaments alongside cheesefested Zero of course. So the fact that people like this game and don't know the characters AT ALL is proof that the excuse that they were using was utter BS.
OneSanitarium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#338 OneSanitarium

http://www.edge-online.com/reviews/skullgirls-review Edge Review is up. Everything I hear about this tutorial system is making me lean towards it, despite my dislike of the visuals.Ravensmash

Well , the gameplay is the most important part anyway!. You don't have to like the visuals to like the rest of the game.

OneSanitarium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#339 OneSanitarium

It's the simple fact that they downplayed the game just because it WAS a Wii Exclusive and using ridiculous excuses such as "Nobody knows the characters". Isn't the point of fighting games , to LEARN the characters anyway? The fact is, this game proves the fact that fanboys of other consoles were just using that lame excuse to downplay a Wii Game that they wanted but since they didn't have it on their system, they instantly had to come up with a crap excuse to why it just couldn't be a good game. Mind you TvC is basically the EXACT same setup as MvC minus the Xfactor and NOBODY know Rocket Raccoon but as I stated earlier, he was the winning character in most of the tournaments alongside cheesefested Zero of course. So the fact that people like this game and don't know the characters AT ALL is proof that the excuse that they were using was utter BS.nini200

I honestly that RR was an under used/.

Eh.

While I agree the point of a FG is the game play and everything, in a cross over...knowing the characters is a bit more important in that sort of game.

And the game is on the wii, which is a completely logical reason to have a distaste for the game. There are pretty much no fighting games on the wii and most fighting game players will have either a PS3 or a 360.

And you really shouldn't be saying that THE POINT IS TO LEARN CHARACTERS. Didn't you have the No Mai No Buy thing?

Eponique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#340 Eponique
Member since 2007 • 17918 Posts

Probably already asked in this really long thread but... Is this game good for fighting game noobs? I want to play it with my friends, but I got them to buy Blazblue but it was a total flop because even after 30 hours of practice we weren't much passed button mashing. I'm wondering if this game is more easy to get into, so I can have a game to play with my friends :P

Edit: Hmm, apparently it has an awesome tutorial system. I'll ask again after everyone has played it.

RurouniSaiyajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#341 RurouniSaiyajin

And so the long, patient wait for the PS Store to update begins.

RurouniSaiyajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#342 RurouniSaiyajin

Probably already asked in this really long thread but... Is this game good for fighting game noobs? I want to play it with my friends, but I got them to buy Blazblue but it was a total flop because even after 30 hours of practice we weren't much passed button mashing. I'm wondering if this game is more easy to get into, so I can have a game to play with my friends :PEponique

As a scrub myself, I'd say Skullgirls is very noob friendly if not the most noob friendly fighting game that's caught my interest.

Skullgirls has:

1. An extensive tutorial system that forces the player to put into practice what they've learned to make sure they understand the concept
  2. Easy Inputs.
  3. Lots of useful features in Training Mode to make learning things on your own easier than most games.

For more information on the above, you can always read more about them in the opening post of this thread.

OneSanitarium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#343 OneSanitarium

Probably already asked in this really long thread but... Is this game good for fighting game noobs? I want to play it with my friends, but I got them to buy Blazblue but it was a total flop because even after 30 hours of practice we weren't much passed button mashing. I'm wondering if this game is more easy to get into, so I can have a game to play with my friends :P

Edit: Hmm, apparently it has an awesome tutorial system. I'll ask again after everyone has played it.

Eponique

The tutorial covers fundamentals that can be used across all fighting games. It will cover how to block, how to defend, how to mixup, how touse all the in game mechanics, and maybe some other stuff. I saw some of the tutorial but wanted the rest to be all my won experience.

It'll be one of the first things I do so when I get the game I'll post impressions of it.

As for combo wise, while I'm positive there will be some really hard combos later on, basic chains will probably be very doable.

Like A-B-C-j.A-B-C-Super sort of things.

OneSanitarium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#344 OneSanitarium

[QUOTE="Eponique"]Probably already asked in this really long thread but... Is this game good for fighting game noobs? I want to play it with my friends, but I got them to buy Blazblue but it was a total flop because even after 30 hours of practice we weren't much passed button mashing. I'm wondering if this game is more easy to get into, so I can have a game to play with my friends :PRurouniSaiyajin

As a scrub myself, I'd say Skullgirls is very noob friendly if not the most noob friendly fighting game that's caught my interest.

Skullgirls has:

1. An extensive tutorial system that forces the player to put into practice what they've learned to make sure they understand the concept
  2. Easy Inputs.
  3. Lots of useful features in Training Mode to make learning things on your own easier than most games.

For more information on the above, you can always read more about them in the opening post of this thread.

This **** has hitboxes! So good.

A lot of the features are going to be added in at a later date. The apparent reason for the for no moveset in game is because they a fairly hard to put in, and between good button config (press the button you want and it assigns it where you want. also its at the character select screen) and a move list or maybe better netcode and move list, they chose what they saw as more important. They put the HD PDFs on the site, but its getting a lot of traffic right now so its having trouble connecting.

RurouniSaiyajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#345 RurouniSaiyajin

A lot of the features are going to be added in at a later date. The apparent reason for the for no moveset in game is because they a fairly hard to put in, and between good button config (press the button you want and it assigns it where you want. also its at the character select screen) and a move list or maybe better netcode and move list, they chose what they saw as more important. They put the HD PDFs on the site, but its getting a lot of traffic right now so its having trouble connecting.

OneSanitarium

I'm loving the hitboxes. Last night's stream was my first time seeing them. Almost died and went to heaven, lol.

Considering Skullgirls is being made by a small development studio, prioritizing other things above the movelist is understandable. I think I'll look at the HD PDFs when the traffic dies down. For now, I'll study up on Parasoul's moveset from one of the wikis while I wait.

OneSanitarium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#346 OneSanitarium

[QUOTE="OneSanitarium"]

RurouniSaiyajin

I'm loving the hitboxes. Last night's stream was my first time seeing them. Almost died and went to heaven, lol.

Considering Skullgirls is being made by a small development studio, prioritizing other things above the movelist is understandable. I think I'll look at the HD PDFs when the traffic dies down. For now, I'll study up on Parasoul's moveset from one of the wikis while I wait.

I can't wait until the frame data is put up. I LOVE reading frame data.

RurouniSaiyajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#347 RurouniSaiyajin

OneSanitarium

O.O they're releasing that too? Sweet!

OneSanitarium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#348 OneSanitarium

[QUOTE="OneSanitarium"]

RurouniSaiyajin

O.O they're releasing that too? Sweet!

Someone one is getting the data and putting it on the wiki.

MikeZ said they had a program that did it automatically a while ago, but porting it to the 360 broke it.

RurouniSaiyajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#349 RurouniSaiyajin

MikeZ said they had a program that did it automatically a while ago, but porting it to the 360 broke it.

OneSanitarium

Oh, that's pretty cool. Guess I'll also keep an eye on the wiki for that frame data. Lots of things to do while I wait for the PS Store to update ^,^

OneSanitarium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#350 OneSanitarium

[QUOTE="OneSanitarium"]

RurouniSaiyajin

Oh, that's pretty cool. Guess I'll also keep an eye on the wiki for that frame data. Lots of things to do while I wait for the PS Store to update ^,^

I wish it would hurry though. Goddamn.