SW: Mobile Wars - HTC Droid DNA - 5" 1920x1080 display - Snapdragon S4 Pro

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2901 NVIDIATI
Member since 2010 • 8463 Posts

board-side-bv2.jpg

Old news, but the lightning adapters has these goodies inside. Bought the adapter for the sole purpose of hooking up to the e7 shweet so this is a plus.

Bikouchu35

Nothing special, though it is interesting to see Apple using a Wolfson Charge Pump DAC even after they choose Cirrus Logic for their phones.

Implementation of a DAC is more important than the DAC itself, and this is far from ideal.

Why would you not just use the DAC in the Fiio? A lightning to USB adapter, then USB to the Fiio.

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2902 NVIDIATI

HTC and Verizon Press Conference on November 13th.

HTC Verizon November 13th Event

This might be for the North American version of the HTC J Butterfly.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#2903 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts
Boy that's not good. Slate asks why MS Surface is so bad. I really wanted a real OS company to make a compelling product, I'm starting to become disappointed.
NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2904 NVIDIATI

Boy that's not good. Slate asks why MS Surface is so bad. I really wanted a real OS company to make a compelling product, I'm starting to become disappointed.musicalmac
You know that thing called Windows 8? It uses x86 hardware and can run every windows application.

Windows RT on the surface is limited to software programmed for ARM based hardware.

I've already said it countless times, Windows 8 tablets start at $499 and can do everything a desktop or laptop can.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2905 musicalmac  Moderator

You know that thing called Windows 8? It uses x86 hardware and can run every windows application.

Windows RT on the surface is limited to software programmed for ARM based hardware.

I've already said it countless times, Windows 8 tablets start at $499 and can do everything a desktop or laptop can.

NVIDIATI
Why does that make it better? Wouldn't it only be better if all those apps were optimized for a touch screen interface? In my developer circle, Windows developers aren't sold on the need for an x86 tablet, and are waiting for 3rd parties to release RT tablets. It becomes an issue of practicality, not an issue of "look what I can do."
Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2906 Jonwh18
Member since 2009 • 9350 Posts

[QUOTE="NVIDIATI"]

musicalmac

Why does that make it better? Wouldn't it only be better if all those apps were optimized for a touch screen interface? In my developer circle, Windows developers aren't sold on the need for an x86 tablet, and are waiting for 3rd parties to release RT tablets. It becomes an issue of practicality, not an issue of "look what I can do."

You devlope software for a living? hmmm :P My perceptions of you are ever changing. A software devloper who TA'd organo chem:P

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2907 musicalmac  Moderator

You devlope software for a living? hmmm :P My perceptions of you are ever changing. A software devloper who TA'd organo chem:P

Jonwh18
Heh, no I don't develop software for a living. Because of my interests, however, I do associate with many that do. I actually studied religion and classical languages and TA'd organic chemistry. :P
NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2908 NVIDIATI

[QUOTE="NVIDIATI"]

musicalmac

It's better because you're not limited to ARM based software.

Most programs that aren't optimized for finger touch can still work very will with a pen or a KB/M.

An x86 tablet is more versatile, if someone wants to toy with apps, that's what your phone is for. With so many x86 tablets having keyboard docks or other accessories, it leaves you open with plenty of options to use the device to suit your needs.

Another factor that gets completely ignored is compatibility with hardware. Essentially every USB device can pair with your tablet, even those that require a software suit for operation.

Performance of x86 tablets are also a large factor, the weakest x86 device with Intel's Clover Trail is still more powerful than most (if not all) ARM SoCs available. The more powerful come with i5 or i7 processors (same that you would find in a laptop). Of course AMD will be entering the tablet market too with their Z series APU (likely to take on Clover Trail).

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2909 musicalmac  Moderator

It's better because you're not limited to ARM based software.

Most programs that aren't optimized for finger touch can still work very will with a pen or a KB/M.

An x86 tablet is more versatile, if someone wants to toy with apps, that's what your phone is for. With so many x86 tablets having keyboard docks or other accessories, it leaves you open with plenty of options to use the device to suit your needs.

Another factor that gets completely ignored is compatibility with hardware. Essentially every USB device can pair with your tablet, even those that require a software suit for operation.

Performance of x86 tablets are also a large factor, the weakest x86 device with Intel's Clover Trail is still more powerful than most (if not all) ARM SoCs available. The more powerful come with i5 or i7 processors (same that you would find in a laptop). Of course AMD will be entering the tablet market too with their Z series APU (likely to take on Clover Trail).

NVIDIATI
Those are good answers. We'll see how it all shakes out, and whether or not it sticks with people. I would hope this approach doesn't go the way of the netbook, which enjoyed popularity for only a short period of time (thank God).
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2911 musicalmac  Moderator

Now that's what a I call a twist lol :P You did you went from religion to classial languages to organic chemistry? XD Seems like they don't relate in any possible way lol :P

Desmonic
Actually from chemistry and biology to Latin, Greek, and religious studies. I did well in the sciences, so they asked me to TA. I just got tired of memorizing things all day long.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2913 musicalmac  Moderator

Quite the change then hehe :P Especially considering you hang with developers, which do the opposite of memorizing stuff. They either know how it works or don't, that simple...shame that to know how it works you need to study, learn and actually comprehend a sh*t load of concepts lol Ah well, such is the life of a programmer! :P

How did you find Latin? Being Portuguese I kind of always wanted to try it ou, since we can understand several words and small simple phrases since Portuguese itself derives (not only) from Latin...but just learning how to pronounce the damn words seems too much of a hassle lol (even though in terms of vocalization of the words they seem also quite similar to the sounds produced in modern Portuguese). Btw, by religious studies do you mean you studied a specific religion or was it more of a broad study in theology itself?

Desmonic
Latin is more practical, Greek is more fun to use, I just had an interest for languages that were the roots of other languages. And by religious studies I mean the study of many different religions, culture, history, and anthropology/sociology -- it was a pure humanities study.

Okay, off-topic is fun -- but how about those phones!?
NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2914 NVIDIATI

What to expect from the HTC/Verizon event:

HTC Droid DNA

Embedded image permalink

5inch 1920x1080 display (~440ppi) powered by Qualcomm's Snapdragon S4 Pro.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2916 musicalmac  Moderator
I said it before, we're just getting started.

Apple Says Samsungs Galaxy Note, Jelly Bean Infringe Patent

Apple Inc. told a judge that Samsung Electronics Co. (005930)s Galaxy Note 10.1 device infringes its patents, and sought to add the Android 4.1 Jelly Bean operating system to an existing lawsuit against Samsung in California.Bloomberg

The case is scheduled for 2014, so we can get all upset about it now and then forget about it by next week, only to be reminded of the latest Apple vs Samsung battle again in a couple years.

So.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2918 musicalmac  Moderator
But.....by 2014 isn't it quite likely that Samsung has already moved on from the Note 10.1 to whatever they want to do next likewise for the Android OS. The lawsuit won't really affect their sales, now will it? Assuming Apple wins and asks for that product to be taken off the market (plus whatever sum they ask for) it won't make much off a difference by then.Obviously if they win they can ask for 1 billion dollars again of course. But I don't really see how the Note 10.1 might break any patents this time..at least in terms of looks you can't really confuse it with an iPad can you? Maybe it's something to do how it uses the software? Would also explain why they are also mixing the OS into the lawsuit...Desmonic
I don't know yet, we'll have to see what details are released as more information is made available. You're right to think this won't effect the Note much at this point, the pace at which these trials take place is not very swift.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2919 musicalmac  Moderator
This latest law suit is significant because Apple specifically names Jelly Bean, which means "Google" is not under fire directly from Apple and Microsoft at once.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2921 musicalmac  Moderator
Curious to see what the heck this is all about this time :PDesmonic
Same.
Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2922 Jonwh18

[QUOTE="Desmonic"]Curious to see what the heck this is all about this time :Pmusicalmac
Same.

I'm curious as to how the OS can possibly be infringing. JElly bean is only a minor upgrade from ICS apperently and the two different updates don't change much either way. I'm not sure what could hae been added that is infriging now that wasn't before.

Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2924 Jonwh18

Cnet's 7 inch tablet comparisonNexus 7 Vs Ipad mini

[spoiler] nexus 7 wins :cool: [/spoiler]

Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2925 Jonwh18

I hear u liek buttonz?

I will be getting this! :D

iMpulse_gunmetal-UPDATE9-v3KS.pngiMpulse_gunmetal-UPDATE9-ShoulderKS.png

In case you want to take a stand...

Originally for IOS, It now supports android too!

android-gamesList.png

$30 it is supported by butrol on the cydia store and many mapping apps on google play store.

Features

4 face buttons

dpad (stick was replaced with d pad)

two shoulder buttons

select button

SIZE! it will fit on your key chain!

protective sleeve (which doubles as a phone stand)

comes with a free GPS app for AND/IOS that will direct you to your iMpluse (which should be attached to your keys)

Also works as a remote camera button

link!

shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpeg

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2926 NVIDIATI

^ That's not bad.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2927 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

So android is now closing in on the holy grail of iOS, the appstore revenues.

http://blog.gsmarena.com/ios-apps-still-make-more-money-but-android-apps-are-closing-in/

Boy O boy it just keeps getting better for android.

musicalmac

You would hope that with approximately 3/4ths of the world's population using some flavor of Android, that revenues would be good. As of June of this year, Apple was pulling in 71% of combined revenues from apps, which is approximately two and a half times more than Android. This really isn't good news...

I think even bigger problem is how utterly pathetic revenues from mobile apps are considering the intall bases and the fact that it seems freemium is quickly becoming the only way for devs to make any decent buck and even then it's not much. All that with rising costs of development and increasinly competiton. App market will either crash and raise from ashes drastically changed in process or it faces the future of utter mediocirity.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#2928 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

LG: Hey apple I got the new nexus will you please sue me now?? I wanna become popular.

:P

Curious to see this indeed, apple cant jeopardize relations with yet another industrial heavyweight so I think apple will just let the nexus 4 live in peace just like the nexus 7.

The nexus 10 on the other hand you bet is going to be called on. :lol:

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2929 Gambler_3

[QUOTE="musicalmac"][QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

So android is now closing in on the holy grail of iOS, the appstore revenues.

http://blog.gsmarena.com/ios-apps-still-make-more-money-but-android-apps-are-closing-in/

Boy O boy it just keeps getting better for android.

AdrianWerner

You would hope that with approximately 3/4ths of the world's population using some flavor of Android, that revenues would be good. As of June of this year, Apple was pulling in 71% of combined revenues from apps, which is approximately two and a half times more than Android. This really isn't good news...

I think even bigger problem is how utterly pathetic revenues from mobile apps are considering the intall bases and the fact that it seems freemium is quickly becoming the only way for devs to make any decent buck and even then it's not much. All that with rising costs of development and increasinly competiton. App market will either crash and raise from ashes drastically changed in process or it faces the future of utter mediocirity.

Do we have sales figures for the top iOS games?

No paid game on android has yet crossed 5 million and very few games managed to go past 1 million. Alot of very high quality games never see half a million. Now compare this with how the big titles sell on consoles or even PC despite their steep asking price and you see how little the "serious" mobile gaming community is.

I am sure another reason why freemium games are doing better is because in-app purchases are harder to pirate.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2930 Gambler_3

So nexus 4 8GB is up for pre-order in my country for......wait for it......$570. :(

The GS3 16GB is available for $500 so its not only so much more than the US price but its also not really the best value for money either.

awptical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2931 awptical
Member since 2003 • 844 Posts

Torn between the iphone 5 and the nexus 4...decisions...

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2932 musicalmac  Moderator

Honestly if I ever need a phone just for work, I could see myself investing in a Blackberry. They may not be as great as they once were, but they still make pretty functional phones it seems, and the design itself is pretty good for work situtations. Discrete, simple but somewhat attractive. Plus they aren't that expensive. Usually well within my budget.

Desmonic
I came from a Blackberry Tour, and I would advise you not to go that route... If RIM is around for another year, I'll be surprised.
The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#2934 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts

Uh oh...Apple's stock price is falling fast...

Soon, it might not be worth more than the entry level 4th gen iPad. :(

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2935 musicalmac  Moderator
Obama's win spooked the markets. No surprises there.
NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2936 NVIDIATI

Obama's win spooked the markets. No surprises there.musicalmac
^ The market in general was down today, but Apple was already down to ~575 even before the election. Not exactly the 900-1000 range that many investors had been hoping for.

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2937 NVIDIATI

[QUOTE="musicalmac"][QUOTE="Desmonic"]

Honestly if I ever need a phone just for work, I could see myself investing in a Blackberry. They may not be as great as they once were, but they still make pretty functional phones it seems, and the design itself is pretty good for work situtations. Discrete, simple but somewhat attractive. Plus they aren't that expensive. Usually well within my budget.

Desmonic

I came from a Blackberry Tour, and I would advise you not to go that route... If RIM is around for another year, I'll be surprised.

Are they really in that bad of a shape? Damn... :S

In 2008 their share price peaked at a little under 150, now they're a little over 8. Even here in Canada, their home turf, they've lost a huge amount of ground to Apple and Google.

Everything for them is riding on the success of BB10. Even if their BB10 devices aren't doing anything better than an Android device or iPhone, it will at least be matching them. Just getting to that point might be enough for them to sustain.

So far they have the hardware for their new devices nailed, Qualcomm's Snapdragon S4 Pro. As for the OS, BB10 is definatly making some leaps and bounds, but again it might not be enough.

Marketing and restoring brand image is also important. BlackBerry for the longest time was about a few premium devices, in order to expand their market, they started to create budget devices such as the BB Pearl. Instead of going for mass appeal, they should have continued to push ahead and innovate. At least then they might not have fallen so far behind the competition.

Slow_Show

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2938 Slow_Show
Member since 2011 • 2018 Posts

Facetime found to be infringing on VirnetX patents, Apple ordered to pay $368 million in damages

Good artists copy great artists steal, or something.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2940 musicalmac  Moderator
Okay, you can now all legitimately complain about Apple's patent for devices with rounded corners. Because it finally exists.
Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2941 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

Why would you not just use the DAC in the Fiio? A lightning to USB adapter, then USB to the Fiio.

NVIDIATI

If only it was that easy.

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2942 NVIDIATI

[QUOTE="NVIDIATI"]

Bikouchu35

It looks pretty easy :P

LL

LL

Fiio seems rather upset that Apple used the lightning connector:

"Apple made a wrong decision, because they should known that it means all the accessory will be very expensive and end customer can't afford the price.

All MFi( Made For iDevice) licensee have to pay a lots of money to test the products and pay very high licence fee to Apple . Also Apple are limited the quantity of the licensee so the competition is not so hard as

other consumer products. the only result is that all accessory for iDevice become luxury products." feiao (Fiio on head-fi)

Anyways you'll have to get a MFi device :(

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2943 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

Meh, just as I figure when I plugged in the mini usb adapter. It doesnt work with my 4 either, but I can always use the camera connection kit loophole for ip4. Though that is another can of worms I have to deal with :\

Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2944 Jonwh18

[QUOTE="Bikouchu35"]

[QUOTE="NVIDIATI"]

NVIDIATI

LL

LL

"Apple made a wrong decision, because they should known that it means all the accessory will be very expensive and end customer can't afford the price.

All MFi( Made For iDevice) licensee have to pay a lots of money to test the products and pay very high licence fee to Apple . Also Apple are limited the quantity of the licensee so the competition is not so hard as

other consumer products. the only result is that all accessory for iDevice become luxury products." feiao (Fiio on head-fi)

I don't get the complaint here? How is lighting any different for hardware makers then the 30 pin? Are there not any adapters?

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2945 Gambler_3

So angry birds space comes to WP8 finally and? Its exclusive to WP8 sorry WP 7.5 users which happen to be all the users right now lmao.

The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#2946 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts

[QUOTE="NVIDIATI"]

[QUOTE="Bikouchu35"]

Jonwh18

LL

LL

I don't get the complaint here? How is lighting any different for hardware makers then the 30 pin? Are there not any adapters?

Hardware makers can't make Lightning connectors without Apple's "Made for iPod/iPhone/iPad" seal of approval, and in order to get that seal of approval, you have to pay a licensing fee and not be based in China.

A recent post from Fiio on Head-Fi implies that they aren't able to get the required security codes for proper authentication from Apple because they aren't fond of handing over such things to Chinese manufacturers.

Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2947 Jonwh18

[QUOTE="Jonwh18"]

[QUOTE="NVIDIATI"]

LL

LL

The_Game21x

Hardware makers can't make Lightning connectors without Apple's "Made for iPod/iPhone/iPad" seal of approval, and in order to get that seal of approval, you have to pay a licensing fee and not be based in China.

A recent post from Fiio on Head-Fi implies that they aren't able to get the required security codes for proper authentication from Apple because they aren't fond of handing over such things to Chinese manufacturers.

ahh I didn't see the liscensing thing.

Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2948 Jonwh18

so who is ogning to get an iMpuse? Its the only gamepad I would even consider for a phone because of its small size

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2949 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

So angry birds space comes to WP8 finally and? Its exclusive to WP8 sorry WP 7.5 users which happen to be all the users right now lmao.

Gambler_3
Not suprised, starting to become disillusioned with microsoft's plan. Finding out that the surface RT makes more profit per unit than the iPAD makes me since, why do they even think they are in a position to be even bigger milkers than Apple? Why can't they just be competitive and consumer friendly.
NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2950 NVIDIATI

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

MBirdy88

Not suprised, starting to become disillusioned with microsoft's plan. Finding out that the surface RT makes more profit per unit than the iPAD makes me since, why do they even think they are in a position to be even bigger milkers than Apple? Why can't they just be competitive and consumer friendly.

We're talking about Microsoft, in many ways they're just as bad as Apple.