*MODS LOCK PLEASE*

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts
@mrintro said:

At $400, you are getting a capable machine that will be supported for at least 5-6 years. You have some of the best developers in the world that develop exclusively for Sony. PS4 is selling out like crazy which pretty much guarantees it will get amazing third party and indie support. And all for $400. Don't have to work about upgrading your system, don't have to keep dropping cash. I mean, maybe you could use a PC for RTS games, but you can easily play those on a regular computer. So what gives? The graphics on the PS4 are good enough. 1080p and 60fps is here and at a grand bargain!

My PC from last gen is slightly better performance-wise than the PS4, so I don't have to spend a dime on upgrading my machine. I probably will upgrade in a couple of years, anyway, but that won't cost nearly as much as it would cost to pay $50 per year just to play online for the next 5-7 years. The PS4 having similar architecture to the PC and selling well guarantees that the PC will continue to get just about every multiplat. Also, a lot of RTS games are actually pretty hard to run well on a regular computer.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#202 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@mrintro said:

@lostrib said:

@mrintro said:

@roler42 said:

@mrintro: That would imply the PC is not getting new games at all and that the PS4 is the only platform getting new games

I will have to add that mentalities like that "don't want to play old games" is what's killing replay value on most AAA titles and also a reason why we keep getting yearly releases...

Aside from RTS and some niche categories, I can't remember the last time PC had a truly revolutionary game last gen

Let's see: Minecraft, DayZ, Half Life 2, LoL/DOTA, Crysis

Do you purposely try to be wrong?

Mincecraft? You mean legos in virtual reality? You mean the game I can play on console? Or the one I can play on a 10 year old computer?

DayZ isn't even out yet and it's revolutionary?

Half LIfe 2 - so you point to a 10 year old game as your last revolution?

Lol/DOTA - MMO, RTS, same difference.

Crysis had nice graphics I guess, but the series is on console now anyway. Which brings up my point about PS4 being the favored platform.

You may be able to play them on console, but they started on PC. And were revolutionary.

Also LoL and DOTA are niether RTS nor MMO.

Roler42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#203  Edited By Roler42
Member since 2013 • 1067 Posts

@mrintro: ...Did you seriously just call LoL and DOTA MMO/RTS????

mrintro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#204  Edited By mrintro
Member since 2004 • 1354 Posts

@lostrib said:

@mrintro said:

@lostrib said:

@mrintro said:

@roler42 said:

@mrintro: That would imply the PC is not getting new games at all and that the PS4 is the only platform getting new games

I will have to add that mentalities like that "don't want to play old games" is what's killing replay value on most AAA titles and also a reason why we keep getting yearly releases...

Aside from RTS and some niche categories, I can't remember the last time PC had a truly revolutionary game last gen

Mincecraft? You mean legos in virtual reality? You mean the game I can play on console? Or the one I can play on a 10 year old computer?

Crysis had nice graphics I guess, but the series is on console now anyway. Which brings up my point about PS4 being the favored platform.

You may be able to play them on console, but they started on PC. And were revolutionary.

I'm not saying they are bad games, but they wouldn't justify buying a gaming PC for me. In fact I think you can play LoL and DOTA on an intel 4000 graphics chip.

Roler42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205 Roler42

@mrintro: Minecraft, Crysis and Half Life 2 have mods on the PC, Half-life 2 in particular has mods that have turned into games themselves, and it may be a 10 year old game but it was still part of last gen and with the sheer ammount of mods it has it may very well be a PC only title, same goes for Minecraft

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206 lostrib

@mrintro said:

@lostrib said:

@mrintro said:

@lostrib said:

@mrintro said:

@roler42 said:

I'm not saying they are bad games, but they wouldn't justify buying a gaming PC for me. In fact I think you can play LoL and DOTA on an intel 4000 graphics chip.

Which is entirely irrelevant

mrintro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207 mrintro

@lostrib said:

@mrintro said:

@lostrib said:

@mrintro said:

@lostrib said:

@mrintro said:

@roler42 said:

Which is entirely irrelevant

Why is it irrelevant? It's not like I was advocating no PC gaming..

SexyJazzCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 SexyJazzCat
Member since 2013 • 2796 Posts

@mrintro: It was an entirely new build. I don't have anything to play games on anyways.

KittenNose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209  Edited By KittenNose
Member since 2014 • 2470 Posts

@mrintro said:

Mincecraft? You mean legos in virtual reality? You mean the game I can play on console?

You can't play Minecraft on your console. In Minecraft you use a power suit to fly around a dragon while you zap it with lightening from your wand. Then you take his head to the moon and plant it like a flag before you go off to mine some cheese. Why mine moon cheese? Because it has been a long day and you deserve a treat.

On consoles you move blocks from point A to point B. You have a game called minecraft on your console, just like you do on your phone, but neither of them is Minecraft.

Also, Day Z is a mod that has been out forever. The standalone might be in beta, but most the players I know put in two hundred hours in long before you could buy early access to the stand alone. Day Z is kind of old news. Also, when judging how revolutionary it is, please remember that it was free. These days however most people have moved on.

Finally, Titan Fall, the first super hyped system seller of next gen gaming, is ruinning on Half Life 2's engine. So yeah, seems pretty revolutionary to me, given the way it is enduring for ten years and transcending generations.

The PS4 will be the favored platform for homogenized mass market releases. It will be great for recycling everything popular from last Gen, and and repackaging it in ten year old graphics so they can resell it to millions. The PC is where the envelope is pushed, and where the new Ideas you might see in the middle/end of this console cycle are old news. Why? Consoles are a walled garden. They are designed that way, and those restrictions are hyped as a feature. (Good news, now you are forced to pay a subscription to play with others! Are not walls the best thing ever!) The PC is open, and all about choice. If you like your walls that is okay, just don't pretend to know what it is like out here.

Sorry if I was a bit harsh, but Minecraft is neat, and claiming the mobile version consoles got is anything like it can tick a kitten off.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#210 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

There's nothing compelling on the PS4 right now. Everyone who bought one either really wanted Killzone and Knack (I didn't), or they are anticipating exclusives that they hope will be good enough to justify their purchase.

There isn't any reason to buy any of the 8th gen consoles right now, in my opinion.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#211 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

When I play Titanfall, it's so, so easy...

mrintro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212  Edited By mrintro

@musicalmac: Destiny > Titanfall

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213  Edited By lostrib

@mrintro said:

...and you know this how?

Roler42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214  Edited By Roler42

@mrintro: Is Destiny out? Did you play it already?

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@mrintro said:

not even the same sub-genre of FPS you tool.... and even then.... thats on X1 aswell :S

Liquid_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#216  Edited By Liquid_
Member since 2003 • 3832 Posts

i mean im not jelly yet. no games

but I will get one eventually

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217  Edited By plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

@mrintro said:

At $400, you are getting a capable machine that will be supported for at least 5-6 years. You have some of the best developers in the world that develop exclusively for Sony. PS4 is selling out like crazy which pretty much guarantees it will get amazing third party and indie support. And all for $400. Don't have to work about upgrading your system, don't have to keep dropping cash. I mean, maybe you could use a PC for RTS games, but you can easily play those on a regular computer. So what gives? The graphics on the PS4 are good enough. 1080p and 60fps is here and at a grand bargain!

Because my PC can do everything your PS4 can do and then some.

Sorry, but your toy doesn't compete with my computer, and from the looks of things, I wont have to upgrade for the rest of this gen if I don't want to.

mrintro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 mrintro

@plageus900 said:

@mrintro said:

Sorry, but your toy doesn't compete with my computer, and from the looks of things, I wont have to upgrade for the rest of this gen if I don't want to.

Your PC can't play PS4 exclusives and your PC will be getting PS4 ports for multiplats. So good luck getting PS4's sloppy seconds.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#219  Edited By gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

@mrintro said:

@plageus900 said:

@mrintro said:

At $400, you are getting a capable machine that will be supported for at least 5-6 years. You have some of the best developers in the world that develop exclusively for Sony. PS4 is selling out like crazy which pretty much guarantees it will get amazing third party and indie support. And all for $400. Don't have to work about upgrading your system, don't have to keep dropping cash.I mean, maybe you could use a PC for RTS games, but you can easily play those on a regular computer. So what gives? The graphics on the PS4 are good enough. 1080p and 60fps is here and at a grand bargain!

Your PC can't play PS4 exclusives and your PC will be getting PS4 ports for multiplats. So good luck getting PS4's sloppy seconds.

The PS4 can't play PC exclusives either.

True, you don't need to upgrade but you aren't going to be getting the same settings as the years go by.

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220  Edited By naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

@mrintro said:

@plageus900 said:

@mrintro said:

And you assume everybody wants to play PS4 exclusives?? as of which right now are hardly none..

The way I see it IMO you cant play Total War,Day-z or Kerbal Space Program on the PS4 so for me the PS4 loses out right away.

Oh and (insert obligatory mention of Titanfall here).

Also none of my 16 Crowdfunded games i put money on can be played on the PS4 either and nearly all of my 600 games I own are not on PS4 ,so yet another loss.

So how exactly am I or any of us missing out again??

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 lostrib

@mrintro said:

@plageus900 said:

@mrintro said:

Or your PS4 will be getting the PC version ported for multiplats.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#222 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

@lostrib said:

@mrintro said:

...and you know this how?

@MBirdy88 said:

@mrintro said:

not even the same sub-genre of FPS you tool.... and even then.... thats on X1 aswell :S

I saw this and misread it like I had typed Destiny > Titanfall and got confused, but I see what's going on here. Nothing to pay any attention to is what's going on in that quote.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts
@razu2444 said:

No Point trying to persuade Hermits TC. They are in constant denial on how much they spent on their silly overpowered "nobody" cares platform.

Due to this fact alone, they will not deny it. If someone were to see it from a third party point of view on pure logic then yes a PS4 is the way to go financially and game wise.

Financially? What?

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

@gameofthering: neither will the ps4. As years go on ps4 will be playing games in medium-high the medium, then low, then not even on the scale. Just like the last Gen. Difference is on pc when that starts to happen you can upgrade if you like and are not stuck waiting for a new console. This is the freedom pc offers that console never will.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#226  Edited By gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

@NFJSupreme said:

@gameofthering: neither will the ps4. As years go on ps4 will be playing games in medium-high the medium, then low, then not even on the scale. Just like the last Gen. Difference is on pc when that starts to happen you can upgrade if you like and are not stuck waiting for a new console. This is the freedom pc offers that console never will.

I think I wrote my previous message the wrong way XD

What you are saying is what I meant to say.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

@mrintro said:

@plageus900 said:

@mrintro said:

I guess it's a good thing I don't give a shit about PS4 exclusives.

Also, ifthe PS4 gets Dark Souls II, chances are it will be a port of the PC version.

mrintro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 mrintro

@PonchoTaco said:
@razu2444 said:

No Point trying to persuade Hermits TC. They are in constant denial on how much they spent on their silly overpowered "nobody" cares platform.

Due to this fact alone, they will not deny it. If someone were to see it from a third party point of view on pure logic then yes a PS4 is the way to go financially and game wise.

Financially? What?

it has the best value proposition. why pay double for overkill?

Roler42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229  Edited By Roler42

@mrintro: Why not?

And the PS4 is a good value... If you game on consoles only, but with the PC, only the exclusives are worth getting, and even then you would have to think twice if you really want to invest up to 460-600 dollars in just a console with a couple of games and rentals

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232  Edited By lostrib

@mrintro said:

@PonchoTaco said:
@razu2444 said:

Financially? What?

because it's not really overkill, nor is it necessarily double

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

@lostrib said:

@mrintro said:

@PonchoTaco said:
@razu2444 said:

Financially? What?

because it's not really overkill, nor is it necessarily double

it would see some people are misinformed regarding what pc gaming costs.

Opus_Rea-333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234 Opus_Rea-333
Member since 2013 • 1238 Posts

most brutal fun thread of SW yet.

KittenNose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235 KittenNose
Member since 2014 • 2470 Posts

On the costs of being a PC gamer”

First, let us dispel some myths. Ones like “You never have to upgrade a console.” This is untrue, just about every console generation has had upgrades attached to it, or parts you had to replace. Sega Genesis has tons of mods and upgrades, N64 had the expansion pack, and anyone who owned a PS1 spent a ton on memory cards, because they had game saves that took up the whole darn thing. Last gen some had to pay an upgrade fee to unlock the online portion of games if they bought used, and Microsoft gamers had to pay just for online, adding almost $400 to the cost of their console.

On top of that, hard drives. The base unit of the MS console is unable to play later games, such as Battlefield 4. You either had to purchase the bundle, or upgrade. Similarly both consoles released with way too little memory for things like DLC and late generation installs.

In the current gen both consoles put online behind a pay wall, and released with HDDs way too small for for a library of 4 games with DLC. Particularly now that we are seeing updates that measure double digit gigs. Both consoles also require installing disks, so both consoles will require the purchase of extra equipment just to play games without deleting the ones you have.

And this is even without going into peripherals.

Second myth, once you buy a console you are good for that generation. This one is just silly. Without modular consoles, you can not simply replace a part if it fails. You must replace the unit, or take it to a third party repair shop and risk a ban, assuming you don't wish to pay a hundred bucks to ship it in. Not to mention the fact that PS released an update that bricked millions of consoles last generation, and MS had the red ring of death to deal with.

Unless someone is extremely lucky, they will replace their console in two or three years, likely buying a bundle with upgraded equipment, because release consoles lack basic functionality like hardware space to play a handful of games.

The cost to play on the PS, with full access to multiplayer, is at least $700 this console generation. That assumes it, and your console, lasts six years without the need to upgrade, replace it, or pay for a repair. For the Xbox it is about $850. That is without going into things like the fact that games cost more on both systems then PC.

Consoles do have the lowest barrier to entry, but they milk you in half a dozen ways, making the long term costs overtake PC gaming by a wide margin, even before you factor in the discount PC gamers get when buying games. While someone can easily spend thousands of dollars over the course of a few years ensuring they never have to deal with “poor quality” like 1080p at 60 fps, a person happy with a console quality experience is going to pay far less to game on a PC then a PS4.

There are a lot of great things on the PS4 that are not on the PC, such as Naughty Dog and JRPGs. At the end of the day however, console gamers are paying extra to access that content. There is no cheaper way to game then being a PC peasant who doesn't even know what AA is. Master race pays through the nose, but even they have to go a bit crazy to surpass what console gamers spend. Mostly because of Steam. Only way a console gamer pays less is if they buy their console to play one game a year, like the Haloed Gears of Battleduty.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

I have never had a console break on me, so I can't relate to that one bit. I have had a good bit of PC parts go bad until I learned how to build a PC and bought my own quality parts. From that point on, I have only had a GPU go bad and that was after 5 years of use. I do agree that PC gaming is cheaper that console gaming. Way cheaper for me. I don't even want to think how much money I would have spent buying all the game I have on PC if I had bought them on console instead.

napo_sp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237  Edited By napo_sp
Member since 2006 • 649 Posts

the cost of being hardcore pc gamer is way above hardcore console gamer, for example

a high end monitor alone cost you an xbone at the very least and can go up to triple the cost of ps4

then you gonna need 500 bucks video card or even more if sli become necessity, with such video card you better invest in at least a 150-250 bucks power supply alone

not that stop me from being exclusive pc gamer though

mrintro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238 mrintro

@napo_sp said:

the cost of being hardcore pc gamer is way above hardcore console gamer, for example

a high end monitor alone cost you an xbone at the very least and can go up to triple the cost of ps4

then you gonna need 500 bucks video card or even more if sli become necessity, with such video card you better invest in at least a 150-250 bucks power supply alone

that's what I'm saying. if you want the most out of PC gaming, you're going to spend a good amount of money

mrintro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239  Edited By mrintro

@walloftruth said:
@mrintro said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

@mrintro said:

Don't have to work about upgrading your system

Nope, that's a fact. All you need to worry about is that games will start making sacrifices to look good near the end.

Sacrifices like lowering the FPS to below 30FPS, like GTA V did to look good near the end of the PS3s lifetime

@mrintro said:

don't have to keep dropping cash.

Nope, no worries there. Besides that fact that games are 1/5th more expensive than they are on PC. And about 1/3rd more expensive a few months down the line.

Console games go on sales quickly these days. Also, PS+ gives you free games.

Oh, I didn't know PS+ is free and I didn't know you could keep those games after your PS+ runs out.

Deal with it, the PS4 is pretty useless for everyone who owns a half decent PC.

you don't have to get PS+ if you don't want to, but you're getting serious bang for your buck if you do.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240  Edited By deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts

@mrintro said:

@PonchoTaco said:
@razu2444 said:

Financially? What?

I've done nothing but save money since I switched to PC gaming.

Consolites are blind to what they pay.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

@roler42 said:

I think people should have to take a gaming test before they are allowed to post here. The gaming I.Q. in this board has dropped dramatically. I bet this guy doesn't know what MMO, RTS or MOBA stand for.

Avatar image for deactivated-5851fca92f6f5
deactivated-5851fca92f6f5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242 deactivated-5851fca92f6f5
Member since 2010 • 100 Posts

Jelly? No, I own both so it doesn't bother me.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243  Edited By lostrib

@mrintro said:

@napo_sp said:

that's what I'm saying. if you want the most out of PC gaming, you're going to spend a good amount of money

So what? Depends what you mean by "the most out of PC gaming"?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46292 Posts

@mrintro said:

@walloftruth said:
@mrintro said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

@mrintro said:

Don't have to work about upgrading your system

Nope, that's a fact. All you need to worry about is that games will start making sacrifices to look good near the end.

Sacrifices like lowering the FPS to below 30FPS, like GTA V did to look good near the end of the PS3s lifetime

@mrintro said:

don't have to keep dropping cash.

Nope, no worries there. Besides that fact that games are 1/5th more expensive than they are on PC. And about 1/3rd more expensive a few months down the line.

Console games go on sales quickly these days. Also, PS+ gives you free games.

Oh, I didn't know PS+ is free and I didn't know you could keep those games after your PS+ runs out.

Deal with it, the PS4 is pretty useless for everyone who owns a half decent PC.

you don't have to get PS+ if you don't want to, but you're getting serious bang for your buck if you do.

Once you ever quit paying for PSN+ though, you will lose all that...

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245  Edited By LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts

@IamAdorable said:

How many games are 1080P@60FPS? And how many future titles will also be running at that?

This says it all. It's already aging.

mrintro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246 mrintro

@GoldenElementXL said:

@roler42 said:

I think people should have to take a gaming test before they are allowed to post here. The gaming I.Q. in this board has dropped dramatically. I bet this guy doesn't know what MMO, RTS or MOBA stand for.

it was an irrelevant point, you can play LoL on a regular pc

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I'm never jelly of a console because I'd simply buy one when I feel it's time.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248 lostrib

@mrintro said:

@GoldenElementXL said:

@roler42 said:

it was an irrelevant point, you can play LoL on a regular pc

So what?

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

if a pc master race gamer wants a console, he buys one, i want to see consolites asking mommy to buy them a gaming pc, lol.

Bren128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250 Bren128
Member since 2003 • 2358 Posts

What PC for 400$ can do what the PS4 does?