La Noire on 360 is 3 discs.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for JasonDarksavior
JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 0

#1401 JasonDarksavior
Member since 2008 • 9323 Posts

[QUOTE="Pray_to_me"]

Lol @ 90's tech. I don't listen to MC hammer, or use dial up internet anymore and I'm glad that the PS3 isn't straddled with technology from the same era.

c49thaine

That's hilarious considering the PS3 won't even connect to the internet anymore.

Honestly you know that what's happening to PSN is extremely rare.
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#1402 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

This game is $60 retail launch (maybe a discount).

I have both machines (check sig).

This game is being developed by Team Bondi of PS2 exclusive Getaway fame, and published by Rockstar of GTA fame.

I can either get :

L.A. Noire PS3 version with extra content that happens to be on one one Blu-Ray disc

OR

L.A. Noire 360 version sans the extra content but get three DVD discs.

I install all my 360 games to prevent wear and tear on my 360's. I also optionally install any PS3 games that allow for it (SF4 PS3 for example). Obviously, the rare mandatory installs as well (not that I wouldn't do it anyways).

Things I will also consider in my possible future purchase of L.A. Noire :

This game was a PS3 exclusive at one point, now it's not. Does that mean the PS3 version will have an edge or not? I have no idea. A lot of times the 360 has the advantage on multiplats (but recent exceptions like FFXIII and Portal 2 can also happen.)

I don't know the sound differences yet, but that also will factor into my purchase as I have 7.1 High end surround sound to consider.

--------

That's basically how I plan to break it down as a consumer when I do buy the game.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1403 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

This game is $60.

This game is being developed by Team Bondi of PS2 exclusive Getaway fame, and published by Rockstar of GTA fame.

I can either get :

L.A. NoirePS3 versionwith extra content that happens to be on one one Blu-Ray disc

OR

This game was a PS3 exclusive at one point, now it's not. Does that mean the PS3 version will have an edge or not? I have no idea. A lot of times the 360 has the advantage on multiplats (but recent exceptions like FFXIII and Portal 2 can also happen.)

I don't know the sound differences yet, but that also will factor into my purchase as I have 7.1 high end High end surround sound to consider.

--------

SolidTy

High end high end surround sound. That must of cost ya a lot. :P

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1404 SolidTy

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

I can either get :

L.A. Noire PS3 version with extra content that happens to be on one one Blu-Ray disc

OR

I install all my 360 games to prevent wear and tear on my 360's. I also optionally install any PS3 games that allow for it (SF4 PS3 for example). Obviously, the rare mandatory installs as well (not that I wouldn't do it anyways).

I don't know the sound differences yet, but that also will factor into my purchase as I have 7.1 High end surround sound to consider.

--------

That's basically how I plan to break it down as a consumer when I do buy the game.

Snugenz

High end high end surround sound. That must of cost ya a lot. :P

Yes, it was pricey.

However, like last gen's sound options (I had 5.1, moved that older AVR and speakers to Family Room), I don't mind it if I upgrade once every few years, and just pick up the occasional good deal on speakers. Also, the room I'm setting up is taken into consideration (Vaulted ceilings, walls, size of room, shape of room, et cetera.)

Avatar image for Messiahbolical-
Messiahbolical-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1405 Messiahbolical-
Member since 2009 • 5670 Posts
What is this? The 90's? 3 discs is sad as hell, I don't care what anyone says. :|
delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1406 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts
What is this? The 90's? 3 discs is sad as hell, I don't care what anyone says. :|Messiahbolical-
yet there where multiple disk console games released on the Ps2, Xbox and gamecube in the 2000's,lol
DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#1407 DroidPhysX
Member since 2010 • 17098 Posts

What is this? The 90's? 3 discs is sad as hell, I don't care what anyone says. :|Messiahbolical-

Do you have a 360?

Avatar image for LucidJubilation
LucidJubilation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1408 LucidJubilation
Member since 2010 • 1165 Posts

I can either get :

OR

--------

SolidTy

after reading all that i'd go with the PS3 version. 3 disks with no extra content versus 1 disk and extra content. just makes more sense.

Avatar image for LucidJubilation
LucidJubilation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1409 LucidJubilation
Member since 2010 • 1165 Posts

wow...i hope ur joking with this post. 3 disks isnt really a big deal.

Messiahbolical-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1410 Messiahbolical-
[QUOTE="Messiahbolical-"]What is this? The 90's? 3 discs is sad as hell, I don't care what anyone says. :|delta3074
yet there where multiple disk console games released on the Ps2, Xbox and gamecube in the 2000's,lol

You know what... you're right. The 360 IS using the same old outdated piece of crap DVD's as it's media format, so nobody should be surprised that there's still multi-disc games being released for it just like on the old consoles.
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1411 SolidTy

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

I can either get :

OR

--------

LucidJubilation

after reading all that i'd go with the PS3 version. 3 disks with no extra content versus 1 disk and extra content. just makes more sense.

That's what I was thinking, thanks for your reply.

Messiahbolical-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1412 Messiahbolical-

[QUOTE="Messiahbolical-"]What is this? The 90's? 3 discs is sad as hell, I don't care what anyone says. :|LucidJubilation

It's not that big of a deal as far as playing the game goes, but what's sad though is that 3 disc games STILL exist. I mean... come on. It's 2011 now. There's no reason tri-disc games should exist with the technology that's out there these days.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
deactivated-5c79c3cfce222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#1413 deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
Member since 2009 • 4715 Posts

Oh wow.

I've said everything I feel needs to have been said already so....
I pre-ordered the PS3 version for £33.50 from The Hut in case Zavvi won't let me switch my £32.45 pre-order.

BigBoss154

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1414 BigBoss154
Member since 2009 • 2956 Posts

The ****? How did I miss this thread?

I find it hard to believethat there's 71 pages of people talking about disc swapping.

Supabul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#1415 Supabul
Member since 2004 • 4266 Posts
[QUOTE="LucidJubilation"]

[QUOTE="Messiahbolical-"]What is this? The 90's? 3 discs is sad as hell, I don't care what anyone says. :|Messiahbolical-

It's not that big of a deal as far as playing the game goes, but what's sad though is that 3 disc games STILL exist. I mean... come on. It's 2011 now. There's no reason tri-disc games should exist with the technology that's out there these days.

Well its like MS can wave its magic wand and make every 360 out there play Blu-Ray disc's
aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1416 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

I'm lazy, i don't wanna swap disc if i don't have to thats why i own Ps3 :lol:

360owners maybe can install the game so they only need one? but other hand lemmings don't like installs :P

Bus-A-Bus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1417 Bus-A-Bus
Member since 2009 • 5089 Posts

I wonder if they let you install it on drive like F3 so you can play with only one disk.Anyway,this seems to be the problem mostly because their motion capture tech is very very mamoth,not that other games will also start shipping in 3 disks.

And oh yea...71 page for disk swapping? :lol:

Supabul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1418 Supabul

I'm lazy, i don't wanna swap disc if i don't have to thats why i own Ps3 :lol:

360owners maybe can install the game so they only need one? but other hand lemmings don't like installs :P

aroxx_ab

You can't install the 3 disc's and use only 1

I'll be playing it on PS3 for 60 hrs straight and won't have to get up once, unless I need to go toilet, but that won't count I'm not changing the disc HA 360 users hope you enjoy your disc swapping

TintedEyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1419 TintedEyes
Member since 2009 • 4769 Posts

The ****? How did I miss this thread?

I find it hard to believethat there's 71 pages of people talking about disc swapping.

BigBoss154
Trust me, starting from page one it wasn't about disc swapping.
Messiahbolical-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1420 Messiahbolical-

Well its like MS can wave its magic wand and make every 360 out there play Blu-Ray disc'sSupabul
You're right. But at the same time in retrospect, they probably should've seen stuff like this happening and used a better format to begin with. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that if there was games last gen that couldn't fit on 1 DVD, then there'd CLEARLY be games this gen that wouldn't. That's just part of Microsoft being their same old cheap selves when it comes to hardware, always trying to cut down on production costs anywhere they can to maximize profit.

They had a lot of money invested into HD-DVD too, so I don't understand why they didn't just use that at the time.

And to be honest I'm not trying to make this into a big deal or anything, I don't really care about disc swapping that much... It's just that when you've owned a PS3 all gen, 3 discs for 1 game just seems laughable. It seems so "last gen". It seems like it's been years and years since I've had a game that required more than one disc. You'll never run into a game like that on the PS3 because Sony chose to go with the latest and greatest format out ther. And because of that choice, us PS3 owners don't have multi disc games... AND we don't have an epidemic of disc scratching as shown in this video. We get to watch Blu-ray as a bonus, and on top of that the PS3's first party developers have more options because of the extra space.

But IMO the most underrated feature of Blu-ray: The scratch protective coatings. They really work as advertised. I don't think one of my PS3 games or Blu-Ray movies has a single scratch on them... a lot of my games would be toast if they were on DVD as much as I've played some of them.

Supabul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1421 Supabul

[QUOTE="Supabul"]Well its like MS can wave its magic wand and make every 360 out there play Blu-Ray disc'sMessiahbolical-

You're right. But at the same time in retrospect, they probably should've seen stuff like this happening and used a better format to begin with. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that if there was games last gen that couldn't fit on 1 DVD, then there'd CLEARLY be games this gen that wouldn't. That's just part of Microsoft being their same old cheap selves when it comes to hardware, always trying to cut down on production costs anywhere they can to maximize profit.

They had a lot of money invested into HD-DVD too, so I don't understand why they didn't just use that at the time.

And to be honest I'm not trying to make this into a big deal or anything, I don't really care about disc swapping that much... It's just that when you've owned a PS3 all gen, 3 discs for 1 game just seems laughable. It seems so "last gen". It seems like it's been years and years since I've had a game that required more than one disc. You'll never run into a game like that on the PS3 because Sony chose to go with the latest and greatest format out ther. And because of that choice, us PS3 owners don't have multi disc games... AND we don't have an epidemic of disc scratching as shown in this video. We get to watch Blu-ray as a bonus, and on top of that the PS3's first party developers have more options because of the extra space.

But IMO the most underrated feature of Blu-ray: The scratch protective coatings. They really work as advertised. I don't think one of my PS3 games or Blu-Ray movies has a single scratch on them... a lot of my games would be toast if they were on DVD as much as I've played some of them.

Yeah lets add a whole extra $100 to or console on brand new Blu-Ray tech for those 3 or 4 games that use multi- discs

Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1423 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts

With that logic CDs would work fine too. Why not put the game on 37 CDs? The point is there's a better option out there so disk swapping shouldn't be necessary.jdt532

Exaggerating won't make your argument any stronger. Swapping discs 36 times is reasonably more bothersome than doing it twice. And that's the point, that devs can still make games on DVDs without needing more than a couple of swappings.

If we needed 37 DVDs you'd have a point, but we don't, we only need three, so the example of 37 CDs is completely out of touch with the (very specific) topic we're discussing.

Also there's the fact that most third party multi-platform games are on a single disk which makes you wounder if devs. are purposely holding out content so a game can fit on a single DVD.jdt532

If the devs thought the content was necessary for the game, they would simply use another DVD (just like this game). There are way more indicatives that show that content ishold back in order to be sold as DLC than it being because of storage issues.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#1424 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17469 Posts

[QUOTE="Supabul"]Well its like MS can wave its magic wand and make every 360 out there play Blu-Ray disc'sMessiahbolical-

MS didnt have a lot of money invested in HD-DVD. They didnt invest in either because they didnt know which would win............which is why it wasnt in the console. MS VC-1 codec is/was being used in bluray AND HD-DVD, so they make money regardless. MS mere backed HD-DVD and made the add on. They didnt have money invested in it. If they had, they wouldve done like Sony and put it in the console. You should research this more before spreading misinformation. Edit - Sony chose bluray because they DID have money invested, NOT because it was the latest and greatest, or that they had some awesome power of foresight. If that were true, they wouldve chose 8x players, which i think were out at the time. A 2x player works AGAINST the PS3 after adding so much data because it takes an eternity to read causing those installs.

Messiahbolical-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1425 Messiahbolical-
[QUOTE="navyguy21"] MS didnt have a lot of money invested in HD-DVD. They didnt invest in either because they didnt know which would win............which is why it wasnt in the console. MS VC-1 codec is/was being used in bluray AND HD-DVD, so they make money regardless. MS mere backed HD-DVD and made the add on. They didnt have money invested in it. If they had, they wouldve done like Sony and put it in the console. You should research this more before spreading misinformation.

What difference does it make? You just stated yourself that their codec was being used in both formats... so using and helping popularize either format would've benefited them in the long run..
Messiahbolical-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1426 Messiahbolical-
Yeah lets add a whole extra $100 to or console on brand new Blu-Ray tech for those 3 or 4 games that use multi- discsSupabul
Sure, why not? It's worked out well enough for the PS3 so far.
Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1427 Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

[QUOTE="Messiahbolical-"]

[QUOTE="Supabul"]Well its like MS can wave its magic wand and make every 360 out there play Blu-Ray disc'snavyguy21

MS didnt have a lot of money invested in HD-DVD. They didnt invest in either because they didnt know which would win............which is why it wasnt in the console. MS VC-1 codec is/was being used in bluray AND HD-DVD, so they make money regardless. MS mere backed HD-DVD and made the add on. They didnt have money invested in it. If they had, they wouldve done like Sony and put it in the console. You should research this more before spreading misinformation. Edit - Sony chose bluray because they DID have money invested, NOT because it was the latest and greatest, or that they had some awesome power of foresight. If that were true, they wouldve chose 8x players, which i think were out at the time. A 2x player works AGAINST the PS3 after adding so much data because it takes an eternity to read causing those installs.

iF ms WAS THAT INDIFFERENT THEY WOULD HAVE MADE A BLURAY PLAYER ADD-ON FOR THE 360. wHATEVER THE REASON, ms FAVORED HD DVD (Sry caps lock)

Anyway the bottom line is that MS fans have been marginalizing Bluray since the gen has started but clearly Bluray is an advantage for gaming. I love games that have great audio crispy cutscenes and are scratch resistant. And it's nice playing a bluray based game knowing that the dev made it without worring if they'd have to cram everything into a single DVD.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1428 navyguy21
[QUOTE="Messiahbolical-"][QUOTE="navyguy21"] MS didnt have a lot of money invested in HD-DVD. They didnt invest in either because they didnt know which would win............which is why it wasnt in the console. MS VC-1 codec is/was being used in bluray AND HD-DVD, so they make money regardless. MS mere backed HD-DVD and made the add on. They didnt have money invested in it. If they had, they wouldve done like Sony and put it in the console. You should research this more before spreading misinformation.

What difference does it make? You just stated yourself that their codec was being used in both formats... so using and helping popularize either format would've benefited them in the long run..

The difference is dont state things u know nothing about. As to the second part, these are businesses. They have risk assessment teams. It was in sony's best interest to put bluray in the PS3 from a business standpoint because sony was one of the creative founders behind it, so they had A LOT more invested in its success. MS didnt have a hand in HDDVD, so to them it was like supporting a college with donations. You dont go all in on something you dont have vested interest in. Thats a bad move from a business standpoint. You have to stop trying to look at this from a GAMING perspective because neither company did. If that were the case, Sony wouldve used a faster drive and REALLY showed the advantage of Bluray. a 2x drive is an equalizer because adding more data caused installs or having to duplicate data over the disc. Its not as you are trying to put it.
navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1429 navyguy21

iF ms WAS THAT INDIFFERENT THEY WOULD HAVE MADE A BLURAY PLAYER ADD-ON FOR THE 360. wHATEVER THE REASON, ms FAVORED HD DVD (Sry caps lock)

Anyway the bottom line is that MS fans have been marginalizing Bluray since the gen has started but clearly Bluray is an advantage for gaming. I love games that have great audio crispy cutscenes and are scratch resistant. And it's nice playing a bluray based game knowing that the dev made it without worring if they'd have to cram everything into a single DVD.

Pray_to_me

Bluray players drove the price of the PS3 up. A bluray add on wouldve been $300+ at the time. Hardly a mass market price. Im not sure i understand the second part of your post.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1430 SolidTy

[QUOTE="Messiahbolical-"][QUOTE="navyguy21"] MS didnt have a lot of money invested in HD-DVD. They didnt invest in either because they didnt know which would win............which is why it wasnt in the console. MS VC-1 codec is/was being used in bluray AND HD-DVD, so they make money regardless. MS mere backed HD-DVD and made the add on. They didnt have money invested in it. If they had, they wouldve done like Sony and put it in the console. You should research this more before spreading misinformation.navyguy21

The difference is dont state things u know nothing about. As to the second part, these are businesses. They have risk assessment teams. It was in sony's best interest to put bluray in the PS3 from a business standpoint because sony was one of the creative founders behind it, so they had A LOT more invested in its success. MS didnt have a hand in HDDVD, so to them it was like supporting a college with donations. You dont go all in on something you dont have vested interest in. Thats a bad move from a business standpoint. You have to stop trying to look at this from a GAMING perspective because neither company did. If that were the case, Sony wouldve used a faster drive and REALLY showed the advantage of Bluray. a 2x drive is an equalizer because adding more data caused installs or having to duplicate data over the disc. Its not as you are trying to put it.

Well, actually, the Micro developed VC-1 codec was a touted advantage for HD-DVD over Blu-Ray at the beginning of the format war.

Messiahbolical-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1431 Messiahbolical-

If that were true, they wouldve chose 8x players, which i think were out at the time. A 2x player works AGAINST the PS3 after adding so much data because it takes an eternity to read causing those installs.

navyguy21
I'm no expert, but I was under the impression that compression is a huge cause for slow load times. Am I correct? Some of the slowest loading games I've played this gen were on the 360(such as Halo 3 for example), so obviously the faster read rates don't help as much as they're made out to. And yet look at Killzone 3. It loads fairly fast for the level of graphics it runs at and yet it's on Blu-ray. I've heard things like that by having so much space on Blu-Ray, developers are able to decrease the loading times by using the leftover space as repeating data... or something along those lines. Like I said, I'm not an expert on this kind of stuff so I don't know, but is that true? And if it IS true, how does that work?
navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1432 navyguy21

[QUOTE="navyguy21"][QUOTE="Messiahbolical-"] What difference does it make? You just stated yourself that their codec was being used in both formats... so using and helping popularize either format would've benefited them in the long run..SolidTy

Well, actually, the Micro developed VC-1 codec was a touted advantage for HD-DVD over Blu-Ray at the beginning of the format war.

They both have the same codec.......so im not sure why it was "touted" over the other.. The key differences were the internet connectivity of HDDVD over bluray, which was changed with BD live.
navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1433 navyguy21
[QUOTE="navyguy21"]

If that were true, they wouldve chose 8x players, which i think were out at the time. A 2x player works AGAINST the PS3 after adding so much data because it takes an eternity to read causing those installs.

Messiahbolical-
I'm no expert, but I was under the impression that compression is a huge cause for slow load times. Am I correct? Some of the slowest loading games I've played this gen were on the 360(such as Halo 3 for example), so obviously the faster read rates don't help as much as they're made out to. And yet look at Killzone 3. It loads fairly fast for the level of graphics it runs at and yet it's on Blu-ray. I've heard things like that by having so much space on Blu-Ray, developers are able to decrease the loading times by using the leftover space as repeating data... or something along those lines. Like I said, I'm not an expert on this kind of stuff so I don't know, but is that true? And if it IS true, how does that work?

Compressed data = less data = shorter load times. Uncompressed data takes much longer to read, so there is compression on bluray too, just not as much as they have to do with DVDs. Duplicating data reduces the time it takes for the laser to find the correct data to load because it is in more places on the disc. Halo 3 had such load times because it had to decompress all the data and the way Bungie chose to dev the game. There are no load times/screens within halo 3 as there are with other shooters. It all loads and streams off the disc, so this could be a reason why the initial load is long. This cant be applied to other games though. The majority of games out there (without installs) have shorter load times on 360 because the DVD spins faster
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1434 SolidTy

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

[QUOTE="navyguy21"]The difference is dont state things u know nothing about. As to the second part, these are businesses. They have risk assessment teams. It was in sony's best interest to put bluray in the PS3 from a business standpoint because sony was one of the creative founders behind it, so they had A LOT more invested in its success. MS didnt have a hand in HDDVD, so to them it was like supporting a college with donations. You dont go all in on something you dont have vested interest in. Thats a bad move from a business standpoint. You have to stop trying to look at this from a GAMING perspective because neither company did. If that were the case, Sony wouldve used a faster drive and REALLY showed the advantage of Bluray. a 2x drive is an equalizer because adding more data caused installs or having to duplicate data over the disc. Its not as you are trying to put it. navyguy21

They both have the same codec.......so im not sure why it was "touted" over the other.. The key differences were the internet connectivity of HDDVD over bluray, which was changed with BD live.

The vast majority of HD-DVD's were encoded with the VC-1 codec whereas the early Blu-Ray titles used MPEG-2 (DVD's use), then Blu's later using VC-1 and AVC.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1435 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts
[QUOTE="Supabul"] Yeah lets add a whole extra $100 to or console on brand new Blu-Ray tech for those 3 or 4 games that use multi- discsMessiahbolical-
Sure, why not? It's worked out well enough for the PS3 so far.

Yeah its worked out sooo well for the PS3. Thats why its in last place. Absolutely pathetic compared to the PS2.
tempest91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1436 tempest91
Member since 2003 • 2411 Posts

[QUOTE="navyguy21"][QUOTE="SolidTy"]

SolidTy

The vast majority of HD-DVD's were encoded with the VC-1 codec whereas the early Blu-Ray titles used MPEG-2 (DVD's use), then Blu's later using VC-1 and AVC.

Solidty is correct, which is why most of the early Blu-ray re-encoded movies looked terrible compared to HD-DVD's, but once Blu-ray adopted the VC-1, it was pretty much the same.

jdt532

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#1437 jdt532
Member since 2003 • 4236 Posts

[QUOTE="jdt532"]With that logic CDs would work fine too. Why not put the game on 37 CDs? The point is there's a better option out there so disk swapping shouldn't be necessary.IronBass

Exaggerating won't make your argument any stronger. Swapping discs 36 times is reasonably more bothersome than doing it twice. And that's the point, that devs can still make games on DVDs without needing more than a couple of swappings.

If we needed 37 DVDs you'd have a point, but we don't, we only need three, so the example of 37 CDs is completely out of touch with the (very specific) topic we're discussing.

Also there's the fact that most third party multi-platform games are on a single disk which makes you wounder if devs. are purposely holding out content so a game can fit on a single DVD.jdt532

If the devs thought the content was necessary for the game, they would simply use another DVD (just like this game). There are way more indicatives that show that content ishold back in order to be sold as DLC than it being because of storage issues.

You're right disk swapping isn't the issue here if a game is on 2,3,4+ DVDs so be it I don't mind disk swapping either. My main problem is that I believe allot of third party devs are purposely holding out content or designing a game from the start to fit on a single DVD. ID software has been on record saying that M$ charges extra royalties on multi-disk games and I see that as a big incentive to do everything you can to keep a game on one disk. So I can't help wondering how much content we've missed this generation because of M$'s BS policies and the fact that margins on video games are already slim before tacking on multi-disk penalties from M$.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1438 deactivated-63f6895020e66

You're right disk swapping isn't the issue here if a game is on 2,3,4+ DVDs so be it I don't mind disk swapping either. My main problem is that I believe allot of third party devs are purposely holding out content or designing a game from the start to fit on a single DVD. ID software has been on record saying that M$ charges extra royalties on multi-disk games and I see that as a big incentive to do everything you can to keep a game on one disk. So I can't help wondering how much content we've missed this generation because of M$'s BS policies and the fact that margins on video games are already slim before tacking on multi-disk penalties from M$.

jdt532

As I already said, there's little reason to believe that. Baseless speculation won't lead us anywhere. As I said, the behavior of most (if not all) publishers indicate that they hold content, regardless of the storage medium, in order to sell itas DLC.

Besides, I found something interesting about ID Soft.'s statement:

It was a simple kind of miscommunication. Microsoft does not charge a royalty per disc, but there is a cost of goods that goes along with manufacturing.that_guy_from_ID

jdt532

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#1439 jdt532
Member since 2003 • 4236 Posts

As I already said, there's little reason to believe that. Baseless speculation won't lead us anywhere. As I said, the behavior of most (if not all) publishers indicate that they hold content, regardless of the storage medium, in order to sell itas DLC.

Besides, I found something interesting about ID Soft.'s statement:

[QUOTE="that_guy_from_ID"]It was a simple kind of miscommunication. Microsoft does not charge a royalty per disc, but there is a cost of goods that goes along with manufacturing.IronBass

Ok, first Carmack says the royalties that M$ would charge for a third disk is so high that it would be very prohibiting so they are instead struggling to figure out how to "cram" the game onto 2 DVDs then they quickly backpedaled saying it was a "miscommunication". Sure.... At the very least it seems like a real headache trying to figure out how to spread games out over multiple disks, a headache devs don't have to deal with on the PC and PS3.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1440 deactivated-63f6895020e66

Ok, first Carmack says the royalties that M$ would charge for a third disk is so high that it would be very prohibiting so they are instead struggling to figure out how to "cram" the game onto 2 DVDs then they quickly backpedaled saying it was a "miscommunication". Sure.... At the very least it seems like a real headache trying to figure out how to spread games out over multiple disks, a headache devs don't have to deal with on the PC and PS3.jdt532

Too bad for them?

Game developing is filled with this kind of obstacles, (developing for the PS3 per se was supposed to be"a real headache" not too long ago, for example), and it's evident that is a "headache" developers are going through quite well, so it pretty much confirms that DVDs still work perfectly fine for gamig.

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1441 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

I'm no expert, but I was under the impression that compression is a huge cause for slow load times. Messiahbolical-

Disk drives are sloooooooooowwwwww compared to CPU/memory speeds. I mean, glacial. Compression is crucial for keeping load times down, since you can decompress way faster than you can read data off the disk.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#1442 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Did someone actually asked why MS didn't have HD-DVD from the start? Imagine the costs, the HD-DVD add on was 200 bucks alone.:|

theuncharted34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1443 theuncharted34
Member since 2010 • 14529 Posts

Did someone actually asked why MS didn't have HD-DVD from the start? Imagine the costs, the HD-DVD add on was 200 bucks alone.:|

mitu123

it would have been exactly the same thing as what happened with the ps3, a $600 price tag with significantly higher production cost than that.

Shinobi120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1444 Shinobi120
Member since 2004 • 5728 Posts

3 discs for a semi open world game !? Yeah this game was made for the PS3, lol. Blu-ray is definitely the future of gaming consoles(at least for another gen), screw DVD and DD.

Swift_Boss_A

Guess what? PC's still uses DVD's for storage when it comes to games, etc.

dream431ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1445 dream431ca
Member since 2003 • 10165 Posts

[QUOTE="dream431ca"]

You know, if true, why is ID even putting Rage on the 360 if you need 4 disks to play it? I can see it with an RPG but FPS??

Teufelhuhn

Well they're not going to completely skip out on a platform just because they need multiple discs. :P

Well no, but it seems silly though. 4 disks for a FPS is unheard of unless some one can name a game on any console that was a FPS and requires at least a disk swap.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#1446 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

theuncharted34

it would have been exactly the same thing as what happened with the ps3, a $600 price tag with significantly higher production cost than that.

And that's why Microsoft didn't go through with it. I feel sorry for anyone who brought the add on though.
antifanboyftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1447 antifanboyftw
Member since 2007 • 2214 Posts
[QUOTE="garland51"]

[QUOTE="Swift_Boss_A"]

3 discs for a semi open world game !? Yeah this game was made for the PS3, lol. Blu-ray is definitely the future of gaming consoles(at least for another gen), screw DVD and DD.

Guess what? PC's still uses DVD's for storage when it comes to games, etc.

installing a game 1 time and never needing the discs again is much less annoying then always needing them. all of them. you can't just install all discs on the 360 and just play the game with the first one.
FearNoAngel5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1448 FearNoAngel5
Member since 2011 • 83 Posts

Nah man 3 discs:shock:?! I still can't believe this $%&@ :lol::lol:, now that's funny... I'm weak:P

def_mode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1449 def_mode
Member since 2005 • 4237 Posts

360 version will be better because you will lose 20 calories.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1450 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
More discs is more content is good :)