Heavy Rain - STICKEH EDITION! (89@Metacritic) (Gamespot Review in 8.5)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DeadMagazines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 DeadMagazines
Member since 2009 • 1593 Posts
It was overwhelming for AAA chute. 50+ difference.
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#102 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

8.0 - 8.5 AA

I would be surprised at AAA, honestly. AA is a great score, and that's what I see GS giving it.

It's too experimental for GS, imo.

----------

EDIT : This post was by Xalaten, and it brings an interesting point to light about how SW has always worked...

The original hype for this game was AA. The new hype thread started AFTER reviews started pouring in.

This thread is rendered null and void.

It's sad people pick and choose the rules around here when it suits their purposes but we have ALWAYS had a rule around here that hype thread votes occur BEFORE reviews start coming out, NOT after. Fact. Period. Undeniable.

Before all the French 100s started coming out the original hype thread for this game was AA. Once all the French biased 100s started coming out this thread was made and people changed the hype due to all the 100s it was getting from early reviews.

You all know darn well that is wrong and has never been allowed. Period. End of subject.

This hype thread is null and void.

Heavy Rain is not a flop because the original hype thread was at AA. It only became AAA after the reviews started coming out. In other words, Heavy Rain is OFFICIALLY not a flop unless System Wars has arbitrarily changed the rules.Xalaten

Idream2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 Idream2010
Member since 2010 • 469 Posts

8.0 - 8.5 AA

I would be surprised at AAA, honestly. AA is a great score, and that's what I see GS giving it.

SolidTy

i hope so, for a game like fable 2 which is a great game gets an 8.5, this QTE fest should get nothing more than 8.5

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

8.0 - 8.5 AA

Idream2010

i hope so, for a game like fable 2 which is a great game gets an 8.5, this QTE fest should get nothing more than 8.5

I got a 950 Gamerscore in Fable II, but I think Fable 1 was better. I still liked it though. Fable 3 will be interesting to see it unveiled.

This is made by the guys that did Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit, so I hope people know what to expect.

Idream2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 Idream2010

[QUOTE="Idream2010"]

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

8.0 - 8.5 AA

SolidTy

I got a 950 Gamerscore in Fable II, but I think Fable 1 was better. I still liked it though. Fable 3 will be interesting to see it unveiled.

This is made by the guys that did Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit, so I hope people know what to expect.

i liked the demo, it definitely could get 9.0 here, im gonna say 8.5 on record, but wouldnt be the least surprised if it gets 9.0 HERE

falldogout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 falldogout
Member since 2009 • 429 Posts

Great score from IGN ( I like their reviews more than GS )....can't wait to buy this game idc if it's only 8 hours that's long for a movie

chikenfriedrice
Movie???
CMPunk13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 CMPunk13
Member since 2006 • 1770 Posts

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

8.0 - 8.5 AA

Idream2010

Except this isn't a QTE fest. Fisson Mailed.

And Fable 2 is an awful game.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

[QUOTE="chikenfriedrice"]

Great score from IGN ( I like their reviews more than GS )....can't wait to buy this game idc if it's only 8 hours that's long for a movie

falldogout

Movie???

just a wise crack

Idream2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 Idream2010

[QUOTE="Idream2010"]

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

8.0 - 8.5 AA

CMPunk13

Except this isn't a QTE fest. Fisson Mailed.

And Fable 2 is an awful game.

uh its not a qte fest, play the demo before you defend it. oh yeah on Fable 2, oh ok you dont have a 360

Hahadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#110 Hahadouken
Member since 2009 • 5546 Posts
[QUOTE="Vaasman"]

Have fun with it, but I'm not touching this bs with a 10 foot pole.

Frankly the way the media eats this game up annoys me. This game is very clearly not for everyone, and yet everyone just dumps 9's and 10's on it? Come on. All I can say is there will be a lot of returns for this game from angry customers, who saw high reviews and bought something that cater's to a very specific niche that they weren't a part of.

NAPK1NS
So because it's not for everyone, critics should give it a bad score? That's a horrible idea.

LOL no kidding. That's so ludicrous it's unbelievable. Only games that are broad enough for tween girls to enjoy should be given a 9? A 9 means it can't be missed for GAMERS, not that grandma is going to eat it up.
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50704 Posts
It was overwhelming for AAA chute. 50+ difference. DeadMagazines
Ah, didn't know it was that different. It's starting to separate in this thread too.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#112 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

Heavy Rain is really cleaning up. The Kotaku review has me a bit worried, though. See the exert from the "Hated" section of their review-

[quote="Kotaku"]Distracting Voices: Speech is important in this game, but to my American ears I had trouble believing in the otherwise powerful virtual reality of this world when I heard actors speaking in what sounded like fraudulent American accents. The children, key characters in the game, are the ones who sound the weirdest. This won't bother some, nor will the occasional lack of precise lip-syncing, but it was the one thing that threatened to shatter the illusion and cheapen my emotional investment in Heavy Rain's world. Movement Errors: As much as I liked the basic controls, Heavy Rain does have some of that fixed-camera old Resident Evil problem. You're pushing the stick one way as a character walks through a door. The camera angle switches. And suddenly you are disoriented, pushing the stick all the wrong ways and your brilliant private eye is walking in silly small circles. It doesn't happen often, but it's a pitfall Quantic Dream didn't manage to fully bound. Sometimes Dull Lead Characters: Video game developers often have to decide whether to leave their playable protagonists as blank entities, the better for players to see themselves in the shoes of, or to make the lead characters distinct, a love it or hate it kind of persona. Three of Heavy Rain's leads are more of the blank type, which can make them bores compared to private eye Scott Shelby, who seems like an interesting and complex guy from the get-go. We all will have our favorites, and I finished Heavy Rain having enjoyed the times I felt I was more of a specific character and less of the time I felt I was controlling an avatar.

Part of what makes Mass Effect 2 so great are the conversations you have with people, and the quality of the voice acting (along with interesting characters). That's something Heavy Rain will have to do well to truly capture the player's attention. I will say, though, given all the praise, it's probably not too big of a concern in Heavy Rain. Just an observation.

InsaneBasura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 InsaneBasura
Member since 2005 • 12591 Posts

N4G is terrible, but the place has managed to put together nearly all reviews rather neatly.

MizFitAwesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 MizFitAwesome
Member since 2009 • 2745 Posts

[QUOTE="DeadMagazines"][QUOTE="Eddie-Vedder"] How is that funny? Explain? Are you saying if it flops lems are owned too? Cause SW hyped AAA?

Chutebox

Because I've seen numerous cows defend ownage by saying "SW as a whole voted __" and now here you sit trying to account for one group when the poll clearly stated overwhelming favor of AAA. Pathetic, but you're 100% cow so I didn't expect any less.

What poll are you talking about? Last I saw, AAA was ahead of AA by one vote. But this happens with every game released, people of a certain group want another game for a console not theirs to flop for the laugh so they overhype it in the polls. Nothing new, just to be expected.

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=27176550

Once again, this thread was BEFORE Espadas thread. Note that the AAA votes are 126 and the AA 87 and everyone seems to act like this thread doesn't exist and again another 'fanboy group overhypes the polls' conspiracy theory. If everyone is so confident in this game (I voted A BTW) then why so much insecurity?...

TREAL_Since

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 TREAL_Since
Member since 2005 • 11946 Posts
Heavy Rain comes out in 14 days! I expect a Gamespot review in 15 :P.
Silent-Hal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#116 Silent-Hal
Member since 2007 • 9795 Posts
i hope so, for a game like fable 2 which is a great game gets an 8.5, this QTE fest should get nothing more than 8.5Idream2010
So reviews are coming in explicitly saying that it's NOT a QTE fest and you're still saying it is? Some people just can't accept that they were wrong it seems.
88mphSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 88mphSlayer
Member since 2010 • 3201 Posts

Gamesradar gives it a 7/10

Heavy Rain is an admirably ambitious creation capable of engrossing the mind and engaging the emotions like few games that have gone before. Visually and aurally it's a decadent feast for the senses, but its frequent descents into ham-fisted schlock and downright broken storytelling ultimately make it a clumsy case of style over substance. It's a likeable mess if you don't think too hard, but nevertheless, a mess it remains.

http://www.gamesradar.com/ps3/heavy-rain/review/heavy-rain/a-2010021011352557014/g-2006051716470918010

in case anybody hadn't already posted it

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#118 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15599 Posts

[QUOTE="NAPK1NS"][QUOTE="Vaasman"]

Have fun with it, but I'm not touching this bs with a 10 foot pole.

Frankly the way the media eats this game up annoys me. This game is very clearly not for everyone, and yet everyone just dumps 9's and 10's on it? Come on. All I can say is there will be a lot of returns for this game from angry customers, who saw high reviews and bought something that cater's to a very specific niche that they weren't a part of.

Hahadouken

So because it's not for everyone, critics should give it a bad score? That's a horrible idea.

LOL no kidding. That's so ludicrous it's unbelievable. Only games that are broad enough for tween girls to enjoy should be given a 9? A 9 means it can't be missed for GAMERS, not that grandma is going to eat it up.

What's the point of a review if all it does is tell people who were already going to buy the game, that they should buy the game?

HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 HAZE-Unit
Member since 2007 • 10564 Posts

[QUOTE="Chutebox"]

[QUOTE="DeadMagazines"] Because I've seen numerous cows defend ownage by saying "SW as a whole voted __" and now here you sit trying to account for one group when the poll clearly stated overwhelming favor of AAA. Pathetic, but you're 100% cow so I didn't expect any less. MizFitAwesome

What poll are you talking about? Last I saw, AAA was ahead of AA by one vote. But this happens with every game released, people of a certain group want another game for a console not theirs to flop for the laugh so they overhype it in the polls. Nothing new, just to be expected.

Once again, this thread was BEFORE Espadas thread. Note that the AAA votes are 126 and the AA 87 and everyone seems to act like this thread doesn't exist and again another 'fanboy group overhypes the polls' conspiracy theory. If everyone is so confident in this game (I voted A BTW) then why so much insecurity?...

This thread was after Espada's :|

And I've explained myself why I did it.

Anyways, oddly enough I agree with you, Espada's was AA, mine AAA, people changed the hype from AA to AAA so they have to stick with it, I don't know what would happen if doesn't meet the hype :?

I think fanboys are becoming boring, everyone wants to play it safe :P

HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 HAZE-Unit

[QUOTE="Hahadouken"][QUOTE="NAPK1NS"]So because it's not for everyone, critics should give it a bad score? That's a horrible idea. Vaasman

What's the point of a review if all it does is tell people who were already going to buy the game, that they should buy the game?

What's the point of a review if all it does is tell people who were already NOT going to buy the game, that they should NOT buy the game?

shinrabanshou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 shinrabanshou
Member since 2009 • 8458 Posts

[QUOTE="Hahadouken"][QUOTE="NAPK1NS"]So because it's not for everyone, critics should give it a bad score? That's a horrible idea. Vaasman

But then what's the point of a review that just mirrors popular opinion, subsequent to that popular opinion already being formed..? :\

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#122 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

from what I'm hearing this game is going to be good.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50704 Posts

[QUOTE="Chutebox"]

[QUOTE="DeadMagazines"] Because I've seen numerous cows defend ownage by saying "SW as a whole voted __" and now here you sit trying to account for one group when the poll clearly stated overwhelming favor of AAA. Pathetic, but you're 100% cow so I didn't expect any less. MizFitAwesome

I said a bit up that it is AAA hype. As for the insecurity thing, dunno if that was directed towards me but I don't care if it gets a 7 here. I was just giving my 2 cents.
HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 HAZE-Unit

G4TV - 4/5

playstationlifes tyle- 5/5.http://playstationlifes tyle.net/2010/02/10/ps3-review-heavy-rain/

PSdual_wielder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#125 PSdual_wielder
Member since 2003 • 10646 Posts

9.0 on ign if its not mentioned yet.

I'm definitely getting this game 1st day.

Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts
Well it looks like the hype is AAA indeed :shock: Weird a game like inFAMOUS didn't get AAA hype though the gameplay definitely had wider appeal but Heavy Rain is getting AAA hype when the gameplay certainly wont appeal to everyone. Looks like gamers are getting a lot more confident :P Anyway I still feel it will get AA here, like Ty said, it's too experimental for GS. Im just glad the game is getting recognition and being well received.
InsaneBasura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 InsaneBasura
Member since 2005 • 12591 Posts

I dug up IGN's Football Manager 2009 review. That is what you're suggesting. Here's the Metacritic page for the game by the way. So what happened when this person reviewed the game for the FIFA crowd, rather than the crowd which it was intended for, is that it got **** on for all the wrong reasons, while it in reality is a good game.

Avatar image for blazinpuertoroc
blazinpuertoroc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#128 blazinpuertoroc
Member since 2004 • 12245 Posts

dissappointed that the game is kinda on the short side. Buying day one anyway.

yonnex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 yonnex
Member since 2006 • 1265 Posts

poll confirm hype is def AAA on this one.

FIipMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#130 FIipMode
Member since 2009 • 10850 Posts

poll confirm hype is def AAA on this one.

yonnex
No point in taking hype polls after the reviews come out seriously.
iKINGBOBi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 iKINGBOBi
Member since 2009 • 1083 Posts

No no, hype AA. This game isn't for everyone and the reviewer could easily give it AA. Don't set us up for a flop PS fans:x

Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 Eddie-Vedder
Member since 2003 • 7810 Posts

No no, hype AA. This game isn't for everyone and the reviewer could easily give it AA. Don't set us up for a flop PS fans:x

iKINGBOBi
It's just the lems voting mostly, the majority of posts by PS3 fans are saying AA.
Sollet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 Sollet
Member since 2003 • 8283 Posts
Clearly a game not for everyone so my guess is that it'll end up AA here at GS.
Luther_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 Luther_10
Member since 2007 • 232 Posts

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=27173438

and that was the original hype thread, and the official hype is AA. The other AAA hype thread was made after the early 9+ reviews and so its invalid...

iKINGBOBi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 iKINGBOBi
Member since 2009 • 1083 Posts

[QUOTE="iKINGBOBi"]

Eddie-Vedder

It's just the lems voting mostly, the majority of posts by PS3 fans are saying AA.

Yeah, the lems are just trying to set us up for ownage. Official Hype AA confirmed

yonnex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 yonnex
Member since 2006 • 1265 Posts

Have faith ppl AAA lets go !

aka_aj03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 aka_aj03
Member since 2004 • 5911 Posts
It a great game or interactive game whatever you want to call it... i think it will get AA here.
Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts
[QUOTE="iKINGBOBi"]

Eddie-Vedder

Clearly a game not for everyone so my guess is that it'll end up AA here at GS.Sollet
Correct, this game is not for everyone and it baffles my why many people have voted AAA, leads me to believe the poll is hijacked by fanboys setting the game up for a flop.
Skittles_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 Skittles_McGee
Member since 2008 • 9136 Posts

[QUOTE="Eddie-Vedder"] It's just the lems voting mostly, the majority of posts by PS3 fans are saying AA. Swift_Boss_A
Clearly a game not for everyone so my guess is that it'll end up AA here at GS.Sollet
Correct, this game is not for everyone and it baffles my why many people have voted AAA, leads me to believe the poll is hijacked by fanboys setting the game up for a flop.

And here I thought people were overreacting when they said cows would backpedal and claim conspiracy. I'm sad to see I was wrong :| In any case, I voted AAA. I'm neither cow nor lemming nor anything. Your logic is disproven, even though it didn't need proof.

Sollet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 Sollet
Member since 2003 • 8283 Posts
[QUOTE="Eddie-Vedder"][QUOTE="iKINGBOBi"] It's just the lems voting mostly, the majority of posts by PS3 fans are saying AA. Swift_Boss_A

Wouldn't be surprised people voting on purpose AAA with main and alt accounts etc.
gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#142 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

GameSpot gave Demon's Souls a 9.0 and made it their GOTY, did that game have a strong story? Looking at the reviews, they're saying Heavy Rain have a strong story, so this can easily get AAA here.

Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 Eddie-Vedder

[QUOTE="Swift_Boss_A"][QUOTE="Eddie-Vedder"][QUOTE="Sollet"]Clearly a game not for everyone so my guess is that it'll end up AA here at GS.Skittles_McGee

And here I thought people were overreacting when they said cows would backpedal and claim conspiracy. I'm sad to see I was wrong :| In any case, I voted AAA. I'm neither cow nor lemming nor anything. Your logic is disproven, even though it didn't need proof.

Logic disproven? Your one person... How do you explain the lack of A votes and below? What do you think lems are voting for? They clearly think the game is garbage, this board has had countless threads claiming so. So where are their low votes? Hmmmm.
Skittles_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 Skittles_McGee
Member since 2008 • 9136 Posts
[QUOTE="Eddie-Vedder"] Logic disproven? Your one person... How do you explain the lack of A votes and below? What do you think lems are voting for? They clearly think the game is garbage, this board has had countless threads claiming so. So where are their low votes? Hmmmm.

Because it'd be silly to vote A or lower. The large majority of reviews are AAA, with a rare exception here and there. When predicting what it'll get here, it wouldn't make much sense to think "Yeah it'll probably be significantly lower than the average". It might prove true to a few rare games, but those are the exceptions. Not the rule.
Hahadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 Hahadouken

Well it looks like the hype is AAA indeed :shock: Weird a game like inFAMOUS didn't get AAA hype though the gameplay definitely had wider appeal but Heavy Rain is getting AAA hype when the gameplay certainly wont appeal to everyone. Looks like gamers are getting a lot more confident :P Anyway I still feel it will get AA here, like Ty said, it's too experimental for GS. Im just glad the game is getting recognition and being well received.Swift_Boss_A

Fanboys have HATED this game from the second it was announced. The graphics in the screenshots sent people into immediate damage control, labeling it a lame non-game from the start. Therefore, fanboys will go even further out of their way than usual (ie for inFamous) to over-rate the official hype to set it up for a flop.

I sincerely believe that over half of the AAA clicks were from people who voted for it just to flop.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#146 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23285 Posts
Hmm,maybe AAA.
_SWAG_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 _SWAG_
Member since 2009 • 2674 Posts

heavyrain is for adults n mature people. gamespot reviewers r adults n mature people. they gonna give dis game so much lovin like its valentines. 9.5 nothing lower

Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 Eddie-Vedder

[QUOTE="Eddie-Vedder"] Logic disproven? Your one person... How do you explain the lack of A votes and below? What do you think lems are voting for? They clearly think the game is garbage, this board has had countless threads claiming so. So where are their low votes? Hmmmm.Skittles_McGee
Because it'd be silly to vote A or lower. The large majority of reviews are AAA, with a rare exception here and there. When predicting what it'll get here, it wouldn't make much sense to think "Yeah it'll probably be significantly lower than the average". It might prove true to a few rare games, but those are the exceptions. Not the rule.

What are you talking about? Hype is hype, lems have no place voting in a hype thread for a PS3 exclusive, these polls don't mean squat, any poll in SW doesn't mean squat, at best make a thread where ppl just post what they think and then count it up so fanboys aren't a click away from their evil flop scheme lol. First of all you can't have multiple hype threads, this is like the 5th or somehting, 2nd you aren't supposed to make the hype threads when reviews are already coming out, completly defeats the whole purpose of it, and 3rd you don't count the hype from lems and fanboys... They have no place voting. You'd think it's a simple concept to grasp... They called the game garbage and yet there are only 2 A votes? Rightt....

FIipMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#149 FIipMode
Member since 2009 • 10850 Posts
[QUOTE="Skittles_McGee"]

[QUOTE="Swift_Boss_A"]Correct, this game is not for everyone and it baffles my why many people have voted AAA, leads me to believe the poll is hijacked by fanboys setting the game up for a flop.Eddie-Vedder

Logic disproven? Your one person... How do you explain the lack of A votes and below? What do you think lems are voting for? They clearly think the game is garbage, this board has had countless threads claiming so. So where are their low votes? Hmmmm.

You actually have a good point, with all the bash threads about Heavy Rain you'd think there would be more people voting A, yet everyone seems to be voting AAA now, but still the official hype is AA so no need to argue over it.
Hahadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 Hahadouken

[QUOTE="iKINGBOBi"]

Eddie-Vedder

A man who knows what he's talking about. ;)

It's amazing how the AAA votes are winning so handily yet there are very few actual PS3 players in here claiming AAA. I think it may be a AAA game, to me, but "official hype" is meant to gauge what you think Gamespot will score it, not what you hope it will score. It's like a guessing game. These peeps be trippin yo!