Heavy Rain - STICKEH EDITION! (89@Metacritic) (Gamespot Review in 8.5)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

3rdbass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 3rdbass
Member since 2009 • 3301 Posts

i don't understand that IGN review.

9.0 for presentation

8.5 for graphics

8.5 for sound

9.0 for gameplay

8.0 for lasting appeal

and the game gets 9.0.... that doesn't sound right..lol

Espada12

IGN says right on the bottom that the final scoreisn't an average of the seperate grading components.

DeadMagazines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 DeadMagazines
Member since 2009 • 1593 Posts
Why did you put up another poll? There was one done last week with an overwhelming AAA result. Quit giving cows countless chances to back out of their hype. It's AAA hype, period.
Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#53 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

[QUOTE="Espada12"]

i don't understand that IGN review.

9.0 for presentation

8.5 for graphics

8.5 for sound

9.0 for gameplay

8.0 for lasting appeal

and the game gets 9.0.... that doesn't sound right..lol

3rdbass

IGN says right on the bottom that the final scoreisn't an average.

Well yea I saw that but if it's AA quality in most of the areas of the game I find it strange it gets a AAA score.

JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 JLF1
Member since 2005 • 8263 Posts

Because everyone who watched transformers loved it, right? I said the public's opinion, not the public's financial output. I'm pretty sure the majority of people who watched transformers hated it, but they watched it anyway because some jackass in the movie industry made a quote like "everyone should see this movie, 5/5, don't have reservations just goooo."

Vaasman

So what you're saying is that reviewers should wait an see what a huge chunk of the people that watched a movie, played a game or listened to an album though about it until they give it a review and possibly a score?

EDIT: The reason why millions of people watched Transformers 2 was because of the massive marketing budget it had and because it had the name "Transformers" attached to it. In fact most reviewers hated it.

3rdbass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 3rdbass

[QUOTE="Vaasman"]

Because everyone who watched transformers loved it, right? I said the public's opinion, not the public's financial output. I'm pretty sure the majority of people who watched transformers hated it, but they watched it anyway because some jackass in the movie industry made a quote like "everyone should see this movie, 5/5, don't have reservations just goooo."

JLF1

So what you're saying is that reviewers should wait an see what a huge chunk of the people that watched a movie, played a game or listened to an album though about it until they give it a review and possibly a score?

The thing I would have expected was a better score in Presentation since he loved the story.

skinny_man_69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

#56 skinny_man_69
Member since 2005 • 5147 Posts

Lol this is going to be such a **** storm when Gamespot releases the review. If the game gets anything lower than a 9.0, cows will claim the hype was AA and there was no flop, but lemmings will say that the hype was AAA and the game flopped. If the game scores 9.0, cows will claim ownage at the hype being exceeded, but lemmings will say the hype was met and there was no ownage to claim. Count me officially taking a break from System Wars when this all transpires :P

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Espada12

Lol this is going to be such a **** storm when Gamespot releases the review. If the game gets anything lower than a 9.0, cows will claim the hype was AA and there was no flop, but lemmings will say that the hype was AAA and the game flopped. If the game scores 9.0, cows will claim ownage at the hype being exceeded, but lemmings will say the hype was met and there was no ownage to claim. Count me officially taking a break from System Wars when this all transpires :P

skinny_man_69

The hype is AAA from the last thread, if cows back out now they will look bad :P

3rdbass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 3rdbass

Well HR seems to be doing pretty good in sales on Amazon. Number 4 now with still 2 weeks to go. I think this will sell around 150K opening week which is great for a niche title like this.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/videogames/ref=pd_ts_zgc_vg_video_games_display_on_website_more?pf_rd_p=475985451&pf_rd_s=right-5&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=468642&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0CB13HECYSN0QE34BSSB

DeadMagazines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 DeadMagazines

skinny_man_69
Well if these idiots would quit having hype polls every other day it wouldn't be this way. I swear to god it's ridiculous, last week there was one with 150+ AAA and less than 100 for AA. Pathetic.
KzerXtreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 KzerXtreme
Member since 2005 • 510 Posts

Back in the day, those Sega CD/PC FMV games were universally panned in favor of games with traditional gameplay. Fast forward to 2010 and the critics are able to look past that with Heavy Rain.

Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts

Why did you put up another poll? There was one done last week with an overwhelming AAA result. Quit giving cows countless chances to back out of their hype. It's AAA hype, period. DeadMagazines

I don't take polls here seriously, anyone can vote and Im almost certain that more often then not the haters flood the polls in order to over-hype the game and make it look like the actual hype. Realistically speaking it would be silly to overhype a brand new IP especially one with completely different gameplay from what we are used to this gen, though HR maybe getting AAA's from most sites it still not certain that GS will too do the same. The hype is AA as far as Im concerned.

JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 JLF1

Back in the day, those Sega CD/PC FMV games were universally panned in favor of games with traditional gameplay. Fast forward to 2010 and the critics are able to look past that with Heavy Rain.

KzerXtreme

You are aware that Heavy Rain isn't an FMV game right?

JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 JLF1

Yea, sure, whatever. I don't feel like having this fight, so whatever makes me the villain and you the winner.

Vaasman

No offence but you begged for this debate when you said that niche games shouldn't be praised.

Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Swift_Boss_A

Well HR seems to be doing pretty good in sales on Amazon. Number 4 now with still 2 weeks to go. I think this will sell around 150K opening week which is great for a niche title like this.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/videogames/ref=pd_ts_zgc_vg_video_games_display_on_website_more?pf_rd_p=475985451&pf_rd_s=right-5&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=468642&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0CB13HECYSN0QE34BSSB

3rdbass

Exactly it's a niche title, we cannot expect it to sell millions or appeal to everyone but still the fanboys will do whatever they can to make this game out to be a flop, whether by reviews or sales. Sad, they just can't except that it's a great new title which is being well received and broadening what we conceive a game to be.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Espada12

[QUOTE="DeadMagazines"]Why did you put up another poll? There was one done last week with an overwhelming AAA result. Quit giving cows countless chances to back out of their hype. It's AAA hype, period. Swift_Boss_A

I don't take polls here seriously, anyone can vote and Im almost certain that more often then not the haters flood the polls in order to over-hype the game and make it look like the actual hype. Realistically speaking it would be silly to overhype a brand new IP especially one with completely different gameplay from what we are used to this gen, though HR maybe getting AAA's from most sites it still not certain that GS will too do the same. The hype is AA as far as Im concerned.

nope it's not and here's why, there were enough cows do out vote the fakeboys in my hype thread, by quite a bit actually, another was made and cows then voted AAA on their own with a similar amount of voters.. so yea..

Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Eddie-Vedder
Member since 2003 • 7810 Posts

[QUOTE="Swift_Boss_A"]

[QUOTE="DeadMagazines"]Why did you put up another poll? There was one done last week with an overwhelming AAA result. Quit giving cows countless chances to back out of their hype. It's AAA hype, period. Espada12

nope it's not and here's why, there were enough cows do out vote the fakeboys in my hype thread, by quite a bit actually, another was made and cows then voted AAA on their own with a similar amount of voters.. so yea..

Dude you can't go off polls alone, every single lem is voting AAA to call flop afterwards, cows are hyping AA, SW as whole may be hyping AAA but that's a diferent matter.
Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Espada12

http://www.gamesradar.com/ps3/heavy-rain/review/heavy-rain/a-2010021011352557014/g-2006051716470918010

7/10

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Espada12

Dude you can't go off polls alone, every single lem is voting AAA to call flop afterwards, cows are hyping AA, SW as whole may be hyping AAA but that's a diferent matter.Eddie-Vedder

There were enough cows to outvote the fakeboys in my thread, why wasn't there the second time around after HR started getting AAA reviews and a similar amount of people voted? You want to know why? The hype for them (cows) went to AAA.

DeadMagazines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 DeadMagazines
[QUOTE="Eddie-Vedder"][QUOTE="Espada12"]

[QUOTE="Swift_Boss_A"]

Dude you can't go off polls alone, every single lem is voting AAA to call flop afterwards, cows are hyping AA, SW as whole may be hyping AAA but that's a diferent matter.

Rofl. Now it's "only cow hype matters, not SW as a whole" ..ROFL!
KzerXtreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 KzerXtreme
Member since 2005 • 510 Posts

[QUOTE="KzerXtreme"]

JLF1

You are aware that Heavy Rain isn't an FMV game right?

Yes I am. I didn't mean that it was also a FMV game. I was just saying that the critics are giving a game like HR a chance now.

Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Eddie-Vedder

[QUOTE="Eddie-Vedder"]

Dude you can't go off polls alone, every single lem is voting AAA to call flop afterwards, cows are hyping AA, SW as whole may be hyping AAA but that's a diferent matter.Espada12

There were enough cows to outvote the fakeboys in my thread, why wasn't there the second time around after HR started getting AAA reviews and a similar amount of people voted? You want to know why? The hype for them (cows) went to AAA.

That's another thing you can't change the hype, hype ALWAYS go up when good reviews start coming in, you can't change it tho, it's always been that way. The hype by cows is AA, proof is in the posts, you see tons of AAA votes but soooooo few posts saying AAA. Cows are hyping AA, ppl that want some lulz are hyping higher.
Author_1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#74 Author_1990
Member since 2004 • 1358 Posts
I am pleased with the game earning high marks, I hope this will revive interest in Adventure Games and developers will proceed to making next-generation Adventure Games. I think GS will give this game an AA, but is actually praying for it to be an AAA. I'm hyping it up as AA though.
Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Eddie-Vedder

[QUOTE="Eddie-Vedder"][QUOTE="Espada12"]

DeadMagazines

How is that funny? Explain? Are you saying if it flops lems are owned too? Cause SW hyped AAA?

JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 JLF1

Wrong time for the arguement, I apologize.

Vaasman

No need to apologize.

I see where you're coming from, I just don't fully agree.

I myself would actually like it better if reviewers would skip the score all together and only focus on the written review itself.

Don't worry that a ton of people would run out and but this game thanks to praising reviews though. Studies have shown that reivews effect only a small portion of people and most of those are already interested in the product reviewed.

ShadowriverUB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 ShadowriverUB
Member since 2009 • 5515 Posts

[QUOTE="DeadMagazines"][QUOTE="Eddie-Vedder"] Dude you can't go off polls alone, every single lem is voting AAA to call flop afterwards, cows are hyping AA, SW as whole may be hyping AAA but that's a diferent matter.Eddie-Vedder

How is that funny? Explain? Are you saying if it flops lems are owned too? Cause SW hyped AAA?

Lems waiting for HR AAA? it's this even possible? XD

I still got 9 minute video thread in my head guys, i really do ;] i hope you learned a leeson

Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Swift_Boss_A

[QUOTE="Eddie-Vedder"]

Dude you can't go off polls alone, every single lem is voting AAA to call flop afterwards, cows are hyping AA, SW as whole may be hyping AAA but that's a diferent matter.Espada12

by cows you mean Playstation fanboys who believe every PS3 exclusive is AAAA? now that's blind hype. A normal person would hype safe with a title like Heavy Rain, I mean it's no Halo or Metal Gear. It's a brand new IP with the most unique controls this gen, now this translates to a hit or miss most often then not, therefore the hype really shouldn't be more then AA from everything we have seen from the game.

Look back to last year when the hype for inFAMOUS was non existent yet it got AAA and everyone was surprised, inFAMOUS had the usual gameplay that people love and yet it wasn't hyped AAA but for some reason Heavy Rain is getting hyped AAA with gameplay that obviously wont appeal to everyone. That's kinda fishy don't you think? like I said most people would play safe with new IP's and the only people hyping HR AAA are blind fanboys and haters.

EmperorSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#81 EmperorSupreme
Member since 2006 • 7686 Posts

[QUOTE="3rdbass"]

Swift_Boss_A

Exactly it's a niche title, we cannot expect it to sell millions or appeal to everyone but still the fanboys will do whatever they can to make this game out to be a flop, whether by reviews or sales. Sad, they just can't except that it's a great new title which is being well received and broadening what we conceive a game to be.

No wonder developers stick to the same old formula most of the time. Anytime anyone tries anything different it gets bashed like crazy. I even catch myself doing it sometimes.
ShadowriverUB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 ShadowriverUB
Member since 2009 • 5515 Posts

-6 (in Polish educational score from 1-6 with iclusion of - and + and but 1 can't have - 6 can't have +) in one of biggest Polish gameing blogs polygamia.pl

http://polygamia.pl/Polygamia/0,102681,5614000.html?bxx=7546449

johnnyblazed88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 johnnyblazed88
Member since 2008 • 4240 Posts

if bioshock 2 got a 8.5 i wouldnt be surprised if this did too

playharderfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 playharderfool
Member since 2009 • 2085 Posts

looks like 8.5 to me but I'm not really hyped for or against it at this moment. I've yet to play the demo...dont know if I will, if I do I'll come back and update my judgement on the game quality.

Skittles_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Skittles_McGee
Member since 2008 • 9136 Posts
Can't wait for it to score good and hopefully make some of the people crying "omg teh movie" quiet down. Probably won't change anything though.
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50647 Posts

The official hype is AAA no wait AA no wait A. If you wait long enough no one will admit to hyping it.

MizFitAwesome
HR has always been AAA/AA hype. Every thread has had the two scores right near each other.
NAPK1NS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#87 NAPK1NS
Member since 2004 • 14870 Posts

Have fun with it, but I'm not touching this bs with a 10 foot pole.

Frankly the way the media eats this game up annoys me. This game is very clearly not for everyone, and yet everyone just dumps 9's and 10's on it? Come on. All I can say is there will be a lot of returns for this game from angry customers, who saw high reviews and bought something that cater's to a very specific niche that they weren't a part of.

Vaasman
So because it's not for everyone, critics should give it a bad score? That's a horrible idea.
chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts

[QUOTE="skinny_man_69"]

Espada12

The hype is AAA from the last thread, if cows back out now they will look bad :P

These hype threads are pointless. If it was made on the PS3 then it would serve a purpose. Here its valid only to the most dilusional fanboys...

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#91 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

IGN gave it a 9/10.. seems like it will be an AAAE on GS as well

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

I'm hoping it gets an 8.0 at least. Regardless of what they give it , it looks like a must play and it will likely be one of the most discussed games of this generation.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Chutebox

[QUOTE="Eddie-Vedder"]

[QUOTE="DeadMagazines"] Rofl. Now it's "only cow hype matters, not SW as a whole" ..ROFL! DeadMagazines

Because I've seen numerous cows defend ownage by saying "SW as a whole voted __" and now here you sit trying to account for one group when the poll clearly stated overwhelming favor of AAA. Pathetic, but you're 100% cow so I didn't expect any less.

What poll are you talking about? Last I saw, AAA was ahead of AA by one vote. But this happens with every game released, people of a certain group want another game for a console not theirs to flop for the laugh so they overhype it in the polls. Nothing new, just to be expected.

Hahadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Hahadouken
Member since 2009 • 5546 Posts

Thanks be to Mac, because all the HR threads are getting annoying.

But seriously, why is it that the same people who say they have no interest in the game continue to post in the threads simply to complain about it more? :P

Lionheart08

I find it interesting. By interesting I mean nauseating, of course. :P

I am glad that Heavy Rain is getting the Metacritic mention in the title instead of GS, I just hope it continues to say Metacritic there until after the game comes out, a la Mass 2. ;)

Oh and for official hype, I think it will get an 8.5, I voted AAE. I think every vote should be stated in here. Be - a - man!

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Espada12

[QUOTE="Espada12"]

[QUOTE="skinny_man_69"]

chaplainDMK

These hype threads are pointless. If it was made on the PS3 then it would serve a purpose. Here its valid only to the most dilusional fanboys...

Hype threads are the only way people can claim ownage... how else can we judge hype? Oh you mean when people change their minds when early reviews come out?

InsaneBasura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 InsaneBasura
Member since 2005 • 12591 Posts

[QUOTE="NAPK1NS"][QUOTE="Vaasman"]

Frankly the way the media eats this game up annoys me. This game is very clearly not for everyone, and yet everyone just dumps 9's and 10's on it? Come on. All I can say is there will be a lot of returns for this game from angry customers, who saw high reviews and bought something that cater's to a very specific niche that they weren't a part of.

Vaasman

So because it's not for everyone, critics should give it a bad score? That's a horrible idea.

Welcome to 20 posts ago. Read the whole thread kthx.

You can choose to opt out of the discussion you started, but others can still chime in if they want.

I'm of the opinion that a game should be reviewed by and for people with an interest in the genre. Reviewing a game for a demographic with no interest in the genre would be misguided and absolutely pointless. It would do no one any good. IGN's Football Manager review is a pretty good example of why this is a really bad idea. A niche game reviewed by someone who would rather be playing FIFA and criticizes the game for not being that. The review was pulled.

DeadMagazines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 DeadMagazines
[QUOTE="Chutebox"]

[QUOTE="DeadMagazines"][QUOTE="Eddie-Vedder"] How is that funny? Explain? Are you saying if it flops lems are owned too? Cause SW hyped AAA?

Because I've seen numerous cows defend ownage by saying "SW as a whole voted __" and now here you sit trying to account for one group when the poll clearly stated overwhelming favor of AAA. Pathetic, but you're 100% cow so I didn't expect any less.

What poll are you talking about? Last I saw, AAA was ahead of AA by one vote. But this happens with every game released, people of a certain group want another game for a console not theirs to flop for the laugh so they overhype it in the polls. Nothing new, just to be expected.

The one Espada created a few days ago..
Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

[QUOTE="Vaasman"]

NAPK1NS

Bayonetta's scores should be lowered immediately!

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Chutebox

[QUOTE="Chutebox"]

[QUOTE="DeadMagazines"] Because I've seen numerous cows defend ownage by saying "SW as a whole voted __" and now here you sit trying to account for one group when the poll clearly stated overwhelming favor of AAA. Pathetic, but you're 100% cow so I didn't expect any less. DeadMagazines

The one Espada created a few days ago..

I remember that one, pretty sure AAA and AA were close like this thread too. Could be wrong though, don't matter.

Edit: Second time I've done that **** in two days...