Gran Turismo 5 new damage system - OWNS ANY OTHER DAMAGE SYSTEM OUT THERE

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 0

#151 DeadMan1290
Member since 2005 • 15752 Posts

Isn't this "full" damaged mode only available on like 200 of the cars? While the OTHER GAME has realistic damage for EVERY car including performance issues, not just asthetics Funconsole
Who knows:) Let's wait 'till November to know:shock:

Classic24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#152 Classic24
Member since 2009 • 598 Posts

For the last time, there is damage on EVERY CAR, premium cars get deformation/ultimate damage while standard cars get bumps/scratches but no deformation

BOTH get mechanical driving damage. Stop spreading false information please

Episode_Eve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153 Episode_Eve
Member since 2004 • 16986 Posts

The damage does look good visually. But what about the damage to the car's performance? Will damage affect steering alignment? Engine performance? Rate of acceleration? Gear shifting? All that sort of stuff.

AdobeArtist

Yeah, those damage physics apply to all cars. The Premium models just have flashier visual effects.

rawr89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 rawr89
Member since 2010 • 1746 Posts

[QUOTE="DanteSuikoden"]

Thing is....they won't be able to do things ALL right due to legal constrictions

Mograine

I'm pretty sure it's not that hard to understand that if they can't make models on real life cars because of that, they can make their own design for all the missing ones. Is it?

LOL then it wouldn't be called Gran Turismo. instead it should be NFS Underground Rivals.

if i wanna play a racing game with cars that do not exist in real life, with made-up handling, with made-up designs, etc., why would i play Gran Turismo.

GT is all about realism. and by realism i mean having real-life cars in real-life tracks..........and not having a rewind button. that's what you call a simulation game.

sure, it is a video game, but clearly PD knows that so they won't make your car totally stop after taking alot of damage. because who would want to play GT5 when their cars will explode after so many impacts? but that's just it. no rewinds, no nonexistent cars.

this is not Modnation Racers. if you want to design your own car, play that game. in real life there are no cars that race in the 'Ring that have decals with 'Halo is teh awesum!' plastered all over it.

BZSIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 BZSIN
Member since 2005 • 7889 Posts

That is some pretty sexy damage, I must say. I honestly didn't expect it to look THAT good but I'm impressed.

Avatar image for deactivated-635601fd996cc
deactivated-635601fd996cc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#156 deactivated-635601fd996cc
Member since 2009 • 4381 Posts
Um ever heard of GTA 4? Dirt 2? And while we're at it let's throw in a fps called Crysis 2.
FIipMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#157 FIipMode
Member since 2009 • 10850 Posts
That's sexy damage.
PS2_ROCKS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 PS2_ROCKS
Member since 2003 • 4679 Posts
On a technical level this should be easier to implement on the remaning 800 cars than on the premium models. Don't have to worry about individual body panels flying off, just good old physics based deformation.
Mograine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 Mograine
Member since 2006 • 3666 Posts

LOL then it wouldn't be called Gran Turismo. instead it should be NFS Underground Rivals.

if i wanna play a racing game with cars that do not exist in real life, with made-up handling, with made-up designs, etc., why would i play Gran Turismo.

GT is all about realism. and by realism i mean having real-life cars in real-life tracks..........and not having a rewind button. that's what you call a simulation game.

sure, it is a video game, but clearly PD knows that so they won't make your car totally stop after taking alot of damage. because who would want to play GT5 when their cars will explode after so many impacts? but that's just it. no rewinds, no nonexistent cars.

this is not Modnation Racers. if you want to design your own car, play that game. in real life there are no cars that race in the 'Ring that have decals with 'Halo is teh awesum!' plastered all over it.

rawr89

Yeah, surely being able to take the pilot's viewpoint in some vehicles and not in others is sooooo realistic :roll:

Avatar image for deactivated-61cc564148ef4
deactivated-61cc564148ef4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#160 deactivated-61cc564148ef4
Member since 2007 • 10909 Posts

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]

[QUOTE="Gamtrix"] All cars have damage [...]xYamatox

They do... but the majority of the cars in the game will have this same "lame" damage model the TC says exists in other games. So I don't see why having only 20% of your entire offering having the "good" damage is a "good" thing.

20% is still 20% better than 0...

Some people are never satisfied.

I don't know it's a bit inconsistent. Like how in Crysis you start of with freedom and at the end are in some massive corridors

StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#161 StealthMonkey4
Member since 2009 • 7434 Posts

THose are some really bad quality pictures, you can barely even tell how good or bad the damage system is by looking at them.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#162 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

Real Time Damage! What other racing game on consoles has that? :lol:

SkaRy_RuLeZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 SkaRy_RuLeZ
Member since 2004 • 253 Posts

200 cars is still close to 10 times the average ammount of cars a normal game even has playable.

Mograine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 Mograine
Member since 2006 • 3666 Posts

200 cars is still close to 10 times the average ammount of cars a normal game even has playable.

SkaRy_RuLeZ

What "normal game"? Big Rigs?

leadernator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 leadernator
Member since 2003 • 9064 Posts

[QUOTE="leadernator"]

[QUOTE="CuteCakes"]THis affects only 20% of the cars in GT5. 80% of the cars in GT5 have PS2 models.Funconsole

That 20% is a lot when you consider how many cars are in the game. :| C'mon people, don't just hate to hate.

That 20% is only 200 cars :| Still less than Forza 3

"ONLY" 200 cars... this is insane guys.

Why on earth isn't 200 good enough for people? Forza 3 has more... sure. But they are a lot less detailed than GT5's premium car models. And if you want to argue that, then throw a finger to GS's E3 previews. They're the ones saying it. If the damage system is a lot better in GT5 as well, then I'd take it over the quantity of cars.

And if that's not enough for you, you still have the option of playing 800 other cars :|... and go kart racing... and nascar.

You're simply looking for reasons to hate.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#166 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

It's all fun and games when metal bends, but how does it work gameplay-wise? Does it affect internal parts? How much performance you get, can you still race after a crash? Can driver be injured?

zero_snake99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 zero_snake99
Member since 2004 • 3478 Posts

It's all fun and games when metal bends, but how does it work gameplay-wise? Does it affect internal parts? How much performance you get, can you still race after a crash? Can driver be injured?

AdrianWerner
...Why would a driver get injured? No racing "sim" has ever done that. You of all people would know this Adrian. We haven't seen "full" effects of damaged internal components, but Kaz said they were going to make it so the highest option would pretty much end the race for having a damage tire well.
shane_orija

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 shane_orija
Member since 2008 • 910 Posts
Finally, there's a thread that can't be countered by posting Crysis screenshots. *fist pumping*
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#169 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

Looks like a ps1 game to me.

slipknot0129
I didn't expect this from a Lvl 24... obvious troll is obvious. Those are off-screen shots.... Seriously????
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#170 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Finally, there's a thread that can't be countered by posting Crysis screenshots. *fist pumping*shane_orija
Even if they tried.. it's totally irrelevant and unrelated to a racing game. They just can't do eet.
chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts

[QUOTE="Funconsole"][QUOTE="leadernator"]

That 20% is a lot when you consider how many cars are in the game. :| C'mon people, don't just hate to hate.

leadernator

That 20% is only 200 cars :| Still less than Forza 3

"ONLY" 200 cars... this is insane guys.

Why on earth isn't 200 good enough for people? Forza 3 has more... sure. But they are a lot less detailed than GT5's premium car models. And if you want to argue that, then throw a finger to GS's E3 previews. They're the ones saying it. If the damage system is a lot better in GT5 as well, then I'd take it over the quantity of cars.

And if that's not enough for you, you still have the option of playing 800 other cars :|... and go kart racing... and nascar.

You're simply looking for reasons to hate.

Funny thing is, Forza 3 does have more cars, but at the same time it doesen't... Because most of the bigger manufacturers will have around 10 regular cars, and 2 race specced cars with about 10 differant skins... Like you have 10 Porches, then you have 3 differant skins of a race modified 911 Turbo, 2 skins of another modified Porche and 2 differant skins of their Le Mans cars... So yeah...
johny300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 johny300
Member since 2010 • 12496 Posts
Hey guys i have a better idea why dont we stop bashing the game and wait until it comes out?
capitalism25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#173 capitalism25
Member since 2009 • 304 Posts
Hmmmm..ive seen something like this before. It was NFS Undercover, but it didnt have real car smashing like DiRT 2 or even GRID.I hope that this game would have better physics though. The hype is on and I want to play it with my friends.
tommyas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 tommyas
Member since 2007 • 2594 Posts
Um ever heard of GTA 4? Dirt 2? And while we're at it let's throw in a fps called Crysis 2.ocstew
What has Crysis to do with racing games?
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 AdrianWerner

[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]

zero_snake99

...Why would a driver get injured? No racing "sim" has ever done that. You of all people would know this Adrian. We haven't seen "full" effects of damaged internal components, but Kaz said they were going to make it so the highest option would pretty much end the race for having a damage tire well.

it's no excuse that nobody did it before :)

And don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing the game, I just no clue how the damage system will be and I would like to know

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#176 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts
[QUOTE="ocstew"]Um ever heard of GTA 4? Dirt 2? And while we're at it let's throw in a fps called Crysis 2.tommyas
What has Crysis to do with racing games?

crysis 2 uses realtime deformation on vehicles as well.
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 AdrianWerner

Hey guys i have a better idea why dont we stop bashing the game and wait until it comes out?johny300
how about GT5 fanboys stop bashing other games and wait until their game comes out too? :)

capitalism25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#178 capitalism25
Member since 2009 • 304 Posts
[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]

[QUOTE="zero_snake99"][QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]

it's no excuse that nobody did it before :)

And don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing the game, I just no clue how the damage system will be and I would like to know

Didnt NFS Shift did that?I mean when you crash your car there is that brain/eye damage that blurs your vision.That was still some kind of racing game that actually had effects on the driver...
Episode_Eve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 Episode_Eve

[QUOTE="johny300"]Hey guys i have a better idea why dont we stop bashing the game and wait until it comes out?AdrianWerner

how about GT5 fanboys stop bashing other games and wait until their game comes out too? :)

That's true, it goes both ways. But I think it's more fair to "bash" a game that's already out and playable (given that said basher has played it), than a game that isn't lol. In the last year, GT5 has been ridiculed and criticized so negatively! That's how it goes I guess.

Episode_Eve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 Episode_Eve

AdrianWerner

I may be wrong, but I think manufacturers don't want drivers being injured in their licensed vehicles. It could also affect the rating from E to T. That's why the motorcyclist avatars in Burnout Paradise disappear when you crash.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]

[QUOTE="johny300"]Hey guys i have a better idea why dont we stop bashing the game and wait until it comes out?Episode_Eve

That's true, it goes both ways. But I think it's more fair to "bash" a game that's already out and playable (given that said basher has played it), than a game that isn't lol. In the last year, GT5 has been ridiculed and criticized so negatively! That's how it goes I guess.

yeah, but cows are using an unreleased game to bash forza 3, do you consider comparing forza 3 to an unreleased gam Fair,lol
Episode_Eve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 Episode_Eve

[QUOTE="Episode_Eve"]

[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]how about GT5 fanboys stop bashing other games and wait until their game comes out too? :)

delta3074

yeah, but cows are using an unreleased game to bash forza 3, do you consider comparing forza 3 to an unreleased gam Fair,lol

Not really lol. I was referring to people 'bashing' Forza 3 on it's own, without comparing it to unreleased games like Gran Turismo 5. But at this point, it's fair to compare the details that we know right? For example, "GT5 has more content than Forza 3", OR "Forza 3 has an in-depth livery editor that GT5 doesn't", going by the details we know. But that's only bashing if you allow yourself to interpret it that way! To say "Forza is garbage compared to GT5" OR "GT5 is going to suck compared to Forza 3" isn't the best way to do it lol.

Eltormo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 Eltormo
Member since 2010 • 990 Posts

I don't know what is the deal with car damage,it has just been use against GT to prove how superior Forza was,when we all know car damage is incredible old,Daytona USA feature it before the was a PS2 or xbox,so did Destruction Derby on PS1,is nothing out of this world.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

it better it started development as an idea pitched between two cavemen using clay tablets to present the idea.

johny300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 johny300
Member since 2010 • 12496 Posts

[QUOTE="johny300"]Hey guys i have a better idea why dont we stop bashing the game and wait until it comes out?AdrianWerner

What im not GT5 fanboy im just like everybody else waiting for the realese to play and enjoy.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Carmageddon 2 had better damage modeling (Like tear your car in half killing the driver good.), even as far as racers go this is hardly worth touting. Anyway about time there was something of the sort in GT.
AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

rawr89

I can see that you're inferring Forza here, so lets clear up the air.

* ALL the cars in Forza are real world lisenced models you'd find from all the well known manufacturers (and even some more obscure ones).
* Every real car you can modify with engine and body parts found in the real after market - they're real and fully customizable
* Every car in Forza has realistic physics and damge effects, external and internal
* Rewind is a training tool, just like the visual driving line which GT5 also has, both can be turned off, plus rewind is not usable in online racing
* I've seen plenty of custom paint jobs in the real world, you may think otherwise but that kind of customization IS a part of real world car culture
* Damage in Forza if extensive enough can cause complete immoblization of your car, or as small as affecting steering alignment, degradation in acceleration and top speed, etc.... this is a real world effects and you clearly don't understand why it's in the game. It serves as a deterrent from improper driving, where the consequences are live and tangible as it occurs directly with your actions, not just artificial like point loss after the race is complete. Fact is, all cars in FM3 are real licensed models and still can be wrecked beyond performance, they are not restricted by the manufaturers to disallow this, so Polyphony has no reason to have that excuse either, and hopefully won't have to when the game actually releases.

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

for those complaining, if for you 200 premium cars is not enough just dont get the game.... personally cant wait for GT5 :)

GnR-SLaSh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 GnR-SLaSh
Member since 2006 • 3021 Posts

[QUOTE="Gamtrix"] All cars have damage [...]foxhound_fox

They do... but the majority of the cars in the game will have this same "lame" damage model the TC says exists in other games. So I don't see why having only 20% of your entire offering having the "good" damage is a "good" thing.

Whatever makes you feel better pal, you gonna drive all those 1000?

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

who cares bout the damage, the game looks pretty neat as it stands even without damage i think it would still be an entertaining game.Damage isnt everything to be brutally honest i just wanna bloody race round a track :D and if you care bout damage then you must either suck at driving or just one of those people that like it.I personally couldnt care less bout it.

Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 Pug-Nasty
Member since 2009 • 8508 Posts

[QUOTE="Classic24"]

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

Doesn't Grand Theft Auto have real time deformation based on where you crash the car?

BPoole96

grand theft auto 4 doesnt use "real" cars, they have no badges, so it is easy to wreck them without pissing off car manufacturers.

you can mod your gta4 cars on the PC to have real cars tho, but it's a "hack"

Gran Turismo 5 on the other hand uses all real cars with car manufacturers so it's very difficult to wreck them without making them angry

Do manufacturers actually get mad if their car is shown wrecked in a video game? (Serious question)

I don't know if "mad" is the right word. But, GT has always had a strong tie to the cars and car manufacturers. I would imagine they don't like seeing, or having millions of other people see, their nicest vehicles twisted and broken.

Kan0nF0dder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 Kan0nF0dder
Member since 2009 • 1962 Posts

[QUOTE="Gamtrix"] All cars have damage [...]foxhound_fox

Gotta start somewhere, 200/1000 is more than none right? How is it not a 'good' thing?

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts
[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]

And isn't this full damage model only available on 200 of the 1000 cars being shipped with the game?

racing1750
Pretty much. Even more disappointing is only 200 of those cars will have the interior view. The damage in those pics are pretty good, but it's only for 20% of the car list.

Don't worry, they will be making DLC adding full damage modelling and interior cockpit view to the rest of the cars for the next 5 years :lol:
AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

[QUOTE="Classic24"]

grand theft auto 4 doesnt use "real" cars, they have no badges, so it is easy to wreck them without pissing off car manufacturers.

you can mod your gta4 cars on the PC to have real cars tho, but it's a "hack"

Gran Turismo 5 on the other hand uses all real cars with car manufacturers so it's very difficult to wreck them without making them angry

Pug-Nasty

Do manufacturers actually get mad if their car is shown wrecked in a video game? (Serious question)

I don't know if "mad" is the right word. But, GT has always had a strong tie to the cars and car manufacturers. I would imagine they don't like seeing, or having millions of other people see, their nicest vehicles twisted and broken.

And yet these very same manufacturers have their cars featured in FM3 where they can be twisted and broken. So polyphony shouldn't be having this excuse, which if reports are true they don't anymore.

zero_snake99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 zero_snake99
Member since 2004 • 3478 Posts

[QUOTE="rawr89"]

AdobeArtist

* ALL the cars in Forza are real world lisenced models you'd find from all the well known manufacturers (and even some more obscure ones).
* Every real car you can modify with engine and body parts found in the real after market - they're real and fully customizable
* Every car in Forza has realistic physics and damge effects, external and internal
* Rewind is a training tool, just like the visual driving line which GT5 also has, both can be turned off, plus rewind is not usable in online racing
* I've seen plenty of custom paint jobs in the real world, you may think otherwise but that kind of customization IS a part of real world car culture
* Damage in Forza if extensive enough can cause complete immoblization of your car, or as small as affecting steering alignment, degradation in acceleration and top speed, etc.... this is a real world effects and you clearly don't understand why it's in the game. It serves as a deterrent from improper driving, where the consequences are live and tangible as it occurs directly with your actions, not just artificial like point loss after the race is complete. Fact is, all cars in FM3 are real licensed models and still can be wrecked beyond performance, they are not restricted by the manufaturers to disallow this, so Polyphony has no reason to have that excuse either, and hopefully won't have to when the game actually releases.

I lol'd IRL.

They aren't bad, but they aren't great... no where near realistic eitiher... The physics in that game have a sweet spot... it's good in normal situations, but once you get into extreme situations (crashes, spinning out, etc) the physics just completely goes down the toilet.

chris_yz80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 chris_yz80
Member since 2004 • 1219 Posts

[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

[QUOTE="rawr89"]

zero_snake99

I lol'd IRL.

They aren't bad, but they aren't great... no where near realistic eitiher... The physics in that game have a sweet spot... it's good in normal situations, but once you get into extreme situations (crashes, spinning out, etc) the physics just completely goes down the toilet.

they are better than gt5 anyway, keep in mind consolses are limited with racing physics to a huge extent , they are much more complicated in real life than processing power than both conosles can provide. *i just dont understand people citing realistic physics, seriously racing is so much more sophisticated than any game ever can simulate

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#197 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

[QUOTE="xYamatox"]

20% is still 20% better than 0...

Some people are never satisfied.

Mograine

If you want to do things right, you do them ALL right.

Count to 200 and tell me when your finished.... That'll give you an idea how large 200 is since you don't appreciate the time put in by PD to do these, plus the premium cars would take up about 3 times the disc space as standard so i don't think they could have made more than 200 without having about 3 or 4 layers of Blu-Ray. Haters will always hate yet you probably deny being a hater.
imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts
still looks pathetic when you put it next to the year old game called dirt 2. Better than nothing but has a long way to go to catch up to codies.
icyseanfitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 icyseanfitz
Member since 2006 • 2493 Posts

i love how the op says gt5 is the first game to have tyre deformation when forza 3 actually had it :roll: im really looking forward to gt5 but if ye think the physics will be a million times better than forza 3 you are kidding yourselves, i wish these gt fanboys would actually try and play a forza game as they are actually brilliant

chris_yz80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 chris_yz80
Member since 2004 • 1219 Posts

i love how the op says gt5 is the first game to have tyre deformation when forza 3 actually had it :roll: im really looking forward to gt5 but if ye think the physics will be a million times better than forza 3 you are kidding yourselves, i wish these gt fanboys would actually try and play a forza game as they are actually brilliant

icyseanfitz
you also forget live for speed had it done epicley back in 03