Gran Turismo 5 new damage system - OWNS ANY OTHER DAMAGE SYSTEM OUT THERE

This topic is locked from further discussion.

moti-123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 moti-123
Member since 2007 • 64 Posts

Gran Turismo 5 new damage system - the only game to feature real time deformation damage

The damage is taken in real team according to the hit on the car - where you hit her, at what speed, etc.... unlike SOME OTHER GAMES that has lame damage system based on pre-baked models that turn up after you hit the car a couple of times

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

And isn't this full damage model only available on 200 of the 1000 cars being shipped with the game?

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

Doesn't Grand Theft Auto have real time deformation based on where you crash the car?

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts
Like GRID and Dirt 2?
Gamtrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Gamtrix
Member since 2010 • 804 Posts

And isn't this full damage model only available on 200 of the 1000 cars being shipped with the game?

foxhound_fox
All cars have damage, that might jsut be the look that is for only 200. And on topic that looks SICK :D GT5 owns!
Classic24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Classic24
Member since 2009 • 598 Posts

Polyphony Digital are gods amongst programmers

Classic24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Classic24

Doesn't Grand Theft Auto have real time deformation based on where you crash the car?

BPoole96

grand theft auto 4 doesnt use "real" cars, they have no badges, so it is easy to wreck them without pissing off car manufacturers.

you can mod your gta4 cars on the PC to have real cars tho, but it's a "hack"

Gran Turismo 5 on the other hand uses all real cars with car manufacturers so it's very difficult to wreck them without making them angry

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 foxhound_fox

All cars have damage [...]Gamtrix

They do... but the majority of the cars in the game will have this same "lame" damage model the TC says exists in other games. So I don't see why having only 20% of your entire offering having the "good" damage is a "good" thing.

racing1750

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#10 racing1750
Member since 2010 • 14567 Posts

foxhound_fox
Pretty much. Even more disappointing is only 200 of those cars will have the interior view. The damage in those pics are pretty good, but it's only for 20% of the car list.
xYamatox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 xYamatox
Member since 2005 • 5180 Posts

[QUOTE="Gamtrix"] All cars have damage [...]foxhound_fox

They do... but the majority of the cars in the game will have this same "lame" damage model the TC says exists in other games. So I don't see why having only 20% of your entire offering having the "good" damage is a "good" thing.

20% is still 20% better than 0...

Some people are never satisfied.

red12355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 red12355
Member since 2007 • 1251 Posts

Eh. It'd look better if the lights weren't part of the hood texture. Look at the picture with the yellow lambo. The headlights bend like they're made of metal.

Classic24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Classic24

Ummm all cars have damage

even on the official GT website, all cars have damage so stop lying

Gamtrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Gamtrix

[QUOTE="Gamtrix"] All cars have damage [...]foxhound_fox

Oh don't be a hater, 20% is more cars then 99% of every racing game ever made. And even those other 80% looks amazing. I can't wait to go buy the GTO twin turbo I owned back from GT1. It's an amazing idea by PD.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 foxhound_fox

xYamatox

What would make GT5 worth playing if the majority of its cars behave just like any other racing game?

VladJasonDrac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 VladJasonDrac
Member since 2010 • 601 Posts

Will this "graphics king" game actually look that blurry on my tv?

racing1750

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 racing1750

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]

[QUOTE="Gamtrix"] All cars have damage [...]xYamatox

Well, it's gonna be weird having 200 with incredible damage, and 800 with normal damage, and all being GT4 cars.

I think PD should have just went with the 200 for the retail release. 800 GT4 cars are just to make the car list seem bigger. In reality GT5 has 200 next gen cars, and glorified GT4 cars to make up the list.

Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts
[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]

racing1750
Pretty much. Even more disappointing is only 200 of those cars will have the interior view. The damage in those pics are pretty good, but it's only for 20% of the car list.

when you talk in percentages it may saound like a very small number if you look the absolute number 200, it doesn't sound bad at all
EdenProxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 EdenProxy
Member since 2010 • 1561 Posts

foxhound_fox
Considering most games struggle to beat even 50 cars 200 is pretty impressive
MobilechicaneX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MobilechicaneX
Member since 2009 • 2863 Posts

Awesome! but still nothing special in comparison to Codemasters' games (Grid, Dirt 2)

ralphster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ralphster
Member since 2007 • 471 Posts

that looks horible

POPEYE1716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 POPEYE1716
Member since 2003 • 4749 Posts
[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]

racing1750

ARE YOU BEING SERIOUS? It has been stated all cars have interior view. So before you start sounding off on a games fault do a little research. Ok I did it by using this search site called GOOGLE. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqMf3towVVI&feature=related
EdenProxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 EdenProxy

[QUOTE="xYamatox"]

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]

racing1750

Well, it's gonna be weird havinb 200 with incredible damage, and 800 with normal damage, and all being GT4 cars.

I think PD should have just went with the 200 for the retail release. 800 GT4 cars are just to make the car list seem bigger. In reality GT5 has 200 next gen cars, and glorified GT4 cars to make up the list.

Theres nothing wrong with remastered ****cs.

Gamtrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Gamtrix

[QUOTE="xYamatox"]

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]

racing1750

Well, it's gonna be weird having 200 with incredible damage, and 800 with normal damage, and all being GT4 cars.

Well on behalf of everyone that's a fan og GT and PD we thank you for not being in charge. We'll take all 1k cars thank you very much. The idea of owning some of my favourite cars from past GT titles is GENIUS! GTO TWIN TURBO HERE I COME!

kejigoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#25 kejigoto
Member since 2004 • 2735 Posts
Now I'm confused.... I thought damage modeling didn't matter in a racing simulation game? At least that is what most GT fans have tried to say since Forza first came out. Also I'm glad to see Poly Phony has done something with this ridiculously long development cycle and I would hope they will be able to outdo a game with half the development time that they took extensive notes while doing play testing for it and also let's keep in mind that Forza 3 launched nearly a year ago. So keeping all that in mind, I would definitely hope that Poly Phony would be able to outdo what Turn 10 has done.
racing1750

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 racing1750
[QUOTE="racing1750"][QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]

Giancar

when you talk in percentages it may saound like a very small number if you look the absolute number 200, it doesn't sound bad at all

200 for me is not good enough for the length of development time. 400 would of been a fair number, but 200 is just not enough imo.
Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Giancar

[QUOTE="xYamatox"]

foxhound_fox

What would make GT5 worth playing if the majority of its cars behave just like any other racing game?

by that logic, scrap all other 800 cars and it willbe worth playing, since 100% of those are not like "any other racing game"

and what's the problem if those 800 cars behave like "any other racing game", is not like those other racing games are bad or something like that

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 BPoole96

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

Classic24

grand theft auto 4 doesnt use "real" cars, they have no badges, so it is easy to wreck them without pissing off car manufacturers.

Gran Turismo 5 on the other hand uses all real cars with car manufacturers so it's very difficult to wreck them without making them angry

Do manufacturers actually get mad if their car is shown wrecked in a video game? (Serious question)

EdenProxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 EdenProxy

Just a little reminder. 200 is a big number for premuim cars. 800 overall is an even larger number when compared to other games.

racing1750

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 racing1750

[QUOTE="racing1750"]

[QUOTE="xYamatox"]

Gamtrix

Well on behalf of everyone that's a fan og GT and PD we thank you for not being in charge. We'll take all 1k cars thank you very much. The idea of owning some of my favourite cars from past GT titles is GENIUS! GTO TWIN TURBO HERE I COME!

I'm a fan of GT, have been since the first. I'm not going to pretend it's ok, when it bugs me. Sorry i don't want to drive cars i raced in 2004 :roll:
EdenProxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 EdenProxy

[QUOTE="Gamtrix"]

[QUOTE="racing1750"]

racing1750

. I'm a fan of GT, have been since the first. I'm not going to pretend it's ok, when it bugs me. Sorry i don't want to drive cars i raced in 2004 :roll:

Then only use the 200 new cars. Look at that problem solved

ASRCSR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#32 ASRCSR
Member since 2008 • 2793 Posts

Looks like a ps1 game to me.

slipknot0129

Are you really that much a hater? I know the TC overhyped it but it doesn`t look that bad even on a grainy camera phone.

Gamtrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Gamtrix

[QUOTE="Classic24"]

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

BPoole96

Do manufacturers actually get mad if their car is shown wrecked in a video game? (Serious question)

It's not even about getting mad, a lot of them won't even let their cars in the game if there is damage in it.
VladJasonDrac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 VladJasonDrac
Member since 2010 • 601 Posts

Now I'm confused.... I thought damage modeling didn't matter in a racing simulation game? At least that is what most GT fans have tried to say since Forza first came out. Also I'm glad to see Poly Phony has done something with this ridiculously long development cycle and I would hope they will be able to outdo a game with half the development time that they took extensive notes while doing play testing for it and also let's keep in mind that Forza 3 launched nearly a year ago. So keeping all that in mind, I would definitely hope that Poly Phony would be able to outdo what Turn 10 has done.kejigoto

True story. Just the other day there was a Forza VS GT thread in which this took place.

xYamatox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 xYamatox

Just a little reminder. 200 is a big number for premuim cars. 800 overall is an even larger number when compared to other games.

EdenProxy

People are gonna be platying GT5 for a loooooooooooooooooooooooong time.... o_o

Personally, I never liked SIM Racers, but I may pick this one up to see if my tastes have changed over the years.

Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Giancar
[QUOTE="kejigoto"]Now I'm confused.... I thought damage modeling didn't matter in a racing simulation game? At least that is what most GT fans have tried to say since Forza first came out.

a generalization.... maybe you are confusing GT fans with GT/Sony fanboys
Gamtrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Gamtrix
[QUOTE="Gamtrix"]

[QUOTE="racing1750"]

racing1750

I'm a fan of GT, have been since the first. I'm not going to pretend it's ok, when it bugs me. Sorry i don't want to drive cars i raced in 2004 :roll:

Then don't? I odn't think it'll be possible to buy every car in the game in one lifetime... 1k cars dude. 1k cars. The only oldie I'm looking forward to is the GTO Twin Turbo, at least for now, maybe when I start seeing them and remebering the good times I'll want ALL OF THEM! :D GT is like a pokemon game :D
ASRCSR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#38 ASRCSR
Member since 2008 • 2793 Posts

[QUOTE="Classic24"]

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

BPoole96

Some actually do and either do not want the developers to enable damage on their cars or they will not let them put the name on the car.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46466 Posts

This game is gonna be so awesome. AAA for sure

racing1750

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 racing1750

[QUOTE="racing1750"][QUOTE="Gamtrix"]Well on behalf of everyone that's a fan og GT and PD we thank you for not being in charge. We'll take all 1k cars thank you very much. The idea of owning some of my favourite cars from past GT titles is GENIUS! GTO TWIN TURBO HERE I COME!

EdenProxy

. I'm a fan of GT, have been since the first. I'm not going to pretend it's ok, when it bugs me. Sorry i don't want to drive cars i raced in 2004 :roll:

200 is a small number of new cars to drive. I've waited for GT5 since it was announced, and 200 is all i get to drive? Maybe, i'll enjoy racing these new cars, but i believe there should of been a lot more imo of course.
stvee101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 stvee101
Member since 2006 • 2953 Posts

ARE YOU BEING SERIOUS? It has been stated all cars have interior view. So before you start sounding off on a games fault do a little research. Ok I did it by using this search site called GOOGLE. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqMf3towVVI&feature=relatedPOPEYE1716

As confirmed in a note on the Japanese site, the 800 "standard cars" in the game will not have interior view or high-beam headlights GTPlanet

Gamtrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Gamtrix
[QUOTE="EdenProxy"]

[QUOTE="racing1750"] . I'm a fan of GT, have been since the first. I'm not going to pretend it's ok, when it bugs me. Sorry i don't want to drive cars i raced in 2004 :roll:racing1750

200 is a small number of new cars to drive. I've waited for GT5 since it was announced, and 200 is all i get to drive? Maybe, i'll enjoy racing these new cars, but i believe there should of been a lot more imo of course.

Why won't you drive the other cars? They look better then Forza cars graphically still, is it because you want to crash them all? Is that why you play these games to crash all the cars? Hmmm.
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 BPoole96

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

[QUOTE="Classic24"]

ASRCSR

Some actually do and either do not want the developers to enable damage on their cars or they will not let them put the name on the car.

That's strange. I'd figure they would want the advertisement. I do remember Porsche not wanted to be affiliated with GT but they still have the RUF models in the game

xYamatox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 xYamatox

[QUOTE="EdenProxy"]

[QUOTE="racing1750"] . I'm a fan of GT, have been since the first. I'm not going to pretend it's ok, when it bugs me. Sorry i don't want to drive cars i raced in 2004 :roll:racing1750

Do you not know the value of the number 200? It's a pretty HUGE number, even more so when used to give people a list of choices.

200 cars in a racing game that all function/work as intended is pretty obscene. Not to mention there are an extra 600 in there for the lulz/nestolgic fanbase.

racing1750

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 racing1750

[QUOTE="racing1750"][QUOTE="Gamtrix"]Well on behalf of everyone that's a fan og GT and PD we thank you for not being in charge. We'll take all 1k cars thank you very much. The idea of owning some of my favourite cars from past GT titles is GENIUS! GTO TWIN TURBO HERE I COME!

Gamtrix

Then don't? I odn't think it'll be possible to buy every car in the game in one lifetime... 1k cars dude. 1k cars. The only oldie I'm looking forward to is the GTO Twin Turbo, at least for now, maybe when I start seeing them and remebering the good times I'll want ALL OF THEM! :D GT is like a pokemon game :D

So, that leaves me with 200. Maybe i'll not mind when the game releases. The problem i have is the 800 GT4 cars. They'll feel out of place in a game with 200 cars done to the last detail.

red12355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 red12355
Member since 2007 • 1251 Posts

[QUOTE="POPEYE1716"] ARE YOU BEING SERIOUS? It has been stated all cars have interior view. So before you start sounding off on a games fault do a little research. Ok I did it by using this search site called GOOGLE. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqMf3towVVI&feature=relatedstvee101

As confirmed in a note on the Japanese site, the 800 "standard cars" in the game will not have interior view or high-beam headlights GTPlanet

Woah. The plot thickens.
Gamtrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Gamtrix

[QUOTE="Gamtrix"][QUOTE="racing1750"] I'm a fan of GT, have been since the first. I'm not going to pretend it's ok, when it bugs me. Sorry i don't want to drive cars i raced in 2004 :roll:racing1750

So, that leaves me with 200. Maybe i'll not mind when the game releases. The problem i have is the 800 GT4 cars. They'll feel out of place in a game with 200 cars done to the last detail.

No they won't. If they did they wouldn't be included. Your insulting PD really, they're better devs then that.
racing1750

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 racing1750

[QUOTE="racing1750"][QUOTE="EdenProxy"]Then only use the 200 new cars. Look at that problem solved

Gamtrix

Why won't you drive the other cars? They look better then Forza cars graphically still, is it because you want to crash them all? Is that why you play these games to crash all the cars? Hmmm.

They look better? Hmmm maybe you should consider playing the game first :roll:

Oh, and on your last sentence. I don't play games for crashing. I don't want 800 cars that are no where near as good as the other 200. Simple!

racing1750

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 racing1750
[QUOTE="racing1750"]

[QUOTE="Gamtrix"]Then don't? I odn't think it'll be possible to buy every car in the game in one lifetime... 1k cars dude. 1k cars. The only oldie I'm looking forward to is the GTO Twin Turbo, at least for now, maybe when I start seeing them and remebering the good times I'll want ALL OF THEM! :D GT is like a pokemon game :DGamtrix

No they won't. If they did they wouldn't be included. Your insulting PD really, they're better devs then that.

I'm not the only one having this concern. A lot of people on GTplanet have the exact same worries. PS I'm not insulting anyone.
Gamtrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Gamtrix

[QUOTE="Gamtrix"][QUOTE="racing1750"] 200 is a small number of new cars to drive. I've waited for GT5 since it was announced, and 200 is all i get to drive? Maybe, i'll enjoy racing these new cars, but i believe there should of been a lot more imo of course.racing1750

T

They look better? Hmmm maybe you should consider playing the game first :roll:

Oh, and on your last sentence. I don't play games for crashing. I don't want 800 cars that are no where near as good as the other 200. Simple!

But they are just as good, they just don't have as much graphical detail. But they still look better the say Forza's cars so really I don't get your issue.