Republicans in TX pass 10 commandments in school bill.

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3728 Posts

This is really only a small example of how backwards and dangerous the Republican Party is. The 10 comments will be posted in every classroom and with “Bible time” in school, as well. I have a feeling it’s only going to be the Christian Bible, btw.

🤦‍♂️

https://www.yahoo.com/news/texas-senate-approves-bills-requiring-053832316.html

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

Wait what the hell? 😂

Dude no way this can be real, gonna see if other outlets have more on this or if it was misreported.....so absurd that it seems fake.

Doesn't this COMPLETELY go against all of their "anti-indoctrination" bullshit excuses to ban books, classes, lgbqt flags, etc. over the last 4 years?

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127508 Posts

@tjandmia: Not everyone will open the link. Copy and paste the important parts of the article.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 horgen  Moderator
@zaryia said:

Wait what the hell? 😂

Dude no way this can be real, gonna see if other outlets have more on this or if it was misreported.....so absurd that it seems fake.

Doesn't this COMPLETELY go against all of their "anti-indoctrination" bullshit excuses to ban books, classes, lgbqt flags, etc. over the last 4 years?

They were never against indoctrination. Just don like people being open minded.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Zaryia

Appears to be real...

Texas education: Public schools would have to display Ten Commandments under bill passed by Senate - ABC13 Houston

Lmao what.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19574 Posts

What's next - burning educated women at the stake?

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23927 Posts

What happened to the first amendment?

Edit: Also doesn't the bible specifically talk against public displays of religiousity like this? I am not religious myself. But I have had christian friends tell me as such.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178848 Posts
@Maroxad said:

Edit: Also doesn't the bible specifically talk against public displays of religiousity like this? I am not religious myself. But I have had christian friends tell me as such.

Various denominations have different opinions on that. But we should still keep church and state separate. What this fools don't realize if another religion comes into power by intertwining the two, then you have a state religion. That doesn't always mean it's yours. Really don't like the new breed of MAGA Republicans turning more people away from religion. One's faith is personal and should stay that way. The vast majority of religious people never push it on others.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38680 Posts

@zaryia said:

Wait what the hell? 😂

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Maroxad

@LJS9502_basic said:
@Maroxad said:

Various denominations have different opinions on that. But we should still keep church and state separate. What this fools don't realize if another religion comes into power by intertwining the two, then you have a state religion. That doesn't always mean it's yours. Really don't like the new breed of MAGA Republicans turning more people away from religion. One's faith is personal and should stay that way. The vast majority of religious people never push it on others.

Ahh, I see that makes sense thanks.

And yeah, state religion is not a good thing, just because of all the different denominations and interpretions. There is so much historical precedent to demonstrate that non-secular movements hurt both people in the religious group, and those outside it. Europe is filled with such examples, both in our history books and from stories from muslims who migrated here to get away from theocracies.

Pushing religion or ideologies on people has never worked. There is a reason I am not pushing Veganism on anyone. Making people resentful doesnt work.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 LJS9502_basic

@Maroxad said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Ahh, I see that makes sense thanks.

And yeah, state religion is not a good thing, just because of all the different denominations and interpretions. There is so much historical precedent to demonstrate that non-secular movements hurt both people in the religious group, and those outside it. Europe is filled with such examples, both in our history books and from stories from muslims who migrated here to get away from theocracies.

Pushing religion or ideologies on people has never worked. There is a reason I am not pushing Veganism on anyone. Making people resentful doesnt work.

Too much work for veganism and I love to have a steak now and then.👍

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Maroxad

@LJS9502_basic: Steaks are actually part of what pushed me to vegetarianism. Couldn't stand them. 🤮

But yeah, pushing ideology on people is not a winning move. If the religious right are interested in making people interested in christianity again, they should change their messaging, and how they communicate. At least, that is what nordic countries are doing. Which seems to be more successful than our Christian Democratic parties.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7284 Posts

@LJS9502_basic: Not to get off topic, but yeah. Eating meat and dairy less often has gone better for me than trying to be vegan.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3416 Posts

Please tell me more about small government.🤣

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58339 Posts

If there was ever any doubt that a small but powerful group of far-right Christo-fascists have taken over and now control the GOP, let acts like this (among many, many, many others) clear that doubt from your mind.

They want a preferably-white America where women are breeders, can be married young, children are essentially possessions, and they have a ready-made pool of worker-soldiers to make bleed either for profit or for holy wars in foreign lands.

Jeez, now I'm starting to sound like one of those far-right nutjobs talking about the "deep state"...but this is different 😋 because I'm right 😁

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3728 Posts

@horgen: I did post the important parts. It’s quite concise with 1 sentence. 😂👍

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mrbojangles25

@kathaariancode said:

Please tell me more about small government.🤣

"No no no, we meant small federal government so we can abuse, exploit, and expand our state government which you know...is different. What? No, we aren't hypocrites, it's just more nuanced than your liberal mind can comprehend."

That's how I imagine the argument going.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3416 Posts

@mrbojangles25: Kind of bizarre how most of the so called "libertarians" are coming out of the closet as fascists.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mrbojangles25

@kathaariancode said:

@mrbojangles25: Kind of bizarre how most of the so called "libertarians" are coming out of the closet as fascists.

This notion is what I base my whole (admittedly flawed) argument of there are no real, true libertarians. There are only:

1. Anarchists that are too scared to label themselves as such (these are the prepper types, the folks that want society to end so they can put their bunkers and 20-year food supplies to good use). They've worked out logical arguments on why it makes sense to kill certain people, have given serious thought to which family they'd save and which they'd leave behind, and so on.
  2. Deluded fantasy believers. These people actually believe in libertarianism, they just don't understand it won't work. They somehow think people would work out how to pave their own roads, put out their own fires, police their own towns, and so on. Good luck doing that in a town with more than a few thousand people.
  3. There are frauds who just want society to crumble so a dictator, despot, or what have you comes to power. I think most modern alt-right folks that call themselves libertarians want this. They want the "strong man" to save them.

All terrible. You're free to believe what you want to believe--lord knows I have my fantasies--but you start to take them serious and you get into crazy territory. And you start to force those beliefs on the world, then we start having problems.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8240 Posts

@kathaariancode said:

There is an argument for States Rights

In Texas it seems they would rather be teaching the commandments in elementary school and ban sexuality being taught in elementary school.

In California they would rather be teaching sexuality in elementary school and ban God being taught in elementary school.

Maybe it really does come down to living in the state that aligns more with your world view and values.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LJS9502_basic

@sargentd said:
@kathaariancode said:

In Texas it seems they would rather be teaching the commandments in elementary school and ban sexuality being taught in elementary school.

In California they would rather be teaching sexuality in elementary school and ban God being taught in elementary school.

Maybe it really does come down to living in the state that aligns more with your world view and values.

Government has no business in teaching religion.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SargentD

@LJS9502_basic said:
@sargentd said:
@kathaariancode said:

Or gender identity to kids.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 LJS9502_basic

@sargentd said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

It's not.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mrbojangles25
@LJS9502_basic said:
@sargentd said:
@kathaariancode said:

Refreshing to hear, especially because I know you value religion.

I agree though. If you want to be taught religion, go to church/temple/mosque/etc. Read about it in your own home.

I do understand @sargentd argument, however, and feel that other things need not be taught in school. I think we need to trim things down a bit. School should objective. Teach science, math, history, art, etc..

Politics should also be taught but need to be as objective as possible. Who did what, when, and why. If it's debatable, then offer up both sides of that debate and don't favor one.

Sex does need to be taught, and it should be honest and objective as well. And, for better or worse, it should be taught either around puberty or right before puberty, and that means elementary school.

*Idunno, I don't think it's really that hard to figure this out. We just politicize it and make it more complicated.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By mrbojangles25
@sargentd said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@sargentd said:
@kathaariancode said:

@mrbojangles25: ...

Gender identity is an objective fact though, so they do have business teaching it.

At the very least, they should be taught , you know, the basic social aspects of it. "This is a heterosexual relationship, this is a homosexual relationship, some people don't follow into those categories and they're known as trans or pan or whatever"

Kids need to be exposed to things.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 LJS9502_basic

@mrbojangles25 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

I agree though. If you want to be taught religion, go to church/temple/mosque/etc. Read about it in your own home.

I do understand @sargentd argument, however, and feel that other things need not be taught in school. I think we need to trim things down a bit. School should objective. Teach science, math, history, art, etc..

Politics should also be taught but need to be as objective as possible. Who did what, when, and why. If it's debatable, then offer up both sides of that debate and don't favor one.

Sex does need to be taught, and it should be honest and objective as well. And, for better or worse, it should be taught either around puberty or right before puberty, and that means elementary school.

*Idunno, I don't think it's really that hard to figure this out. We just politicize it and make it more complicated.

My issue with his argument is that it's not actually being taught. Much like CRT everything gets lumped in with whatever outrage the far right extremist right currently has. Teaching the history of the Civil War and Civil rights is necessary. If it hurts your feelings then you have the problem. Not you personally. Just in general.

Same with issues with gender, sexuality. If a child trusts their teacher and needs to talk about it, then it shouldn't be negated. Some children don't have supportive families. It does a disservice to children to remove help. No school is telling children to change their gender. Support is a positive. Not a negative.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36041 Posts

This has already been ruled against by the SCOTUS in 1980 in Stone v Graham. Literally this exact thing!

Kentucky law requiring Ten Commandments in schools violated First Amendment

In Stone v. Graham, 449 U.S. 39 (1980), the Supreme Court ruled that a Kentucky law that required the posting of the Ten Commandments on the wall of every public school classroom in the state violated the establishment clause of the First Amendment because the purpose of the display was essentially religious.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mrbojangles25
@LJS9502_basic said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

My issue with his argument is that it's not actually being taught. Much like CRT everything gets lumped in with whatever outrage the far right extremist right currently has. Teaching the history of the Civil War and Civil rights is necessary. If it hurts your feelings then you have the problem. Not you personally. Just in general.

Same with issues with gender, sexuality. If a child trusts their teacher and needs to talk about it, then it shouldn't be negated. Some children don't have supportive families. It does a disservice to children to remove help. No school is telling children to change their gender. Support is a positive. Not a negative.

My mom was a middle school counselor and the things kids came up to her--their problems, their questions, etc--was pretty shocking at times. All because they trusted her, at least with specific questions, more than their friends and family.

So you're right, support is a positive, not a negative.

It's one of the better arguments for professional therapy; we all need someone objective, that isn't a friend or relative, to talk to. Even if you don't have a specific problem going on in your life, it's good to have someone that isn't biased in favor of or against you to talk things through.

If I had my way, I'd make mandatory check-ins with mental health professionals a thing for kids. I know parents might go "Oh but my kid is fine" or "I don't want some shrink medicating my child!" but, no, your kid is not fine (we all have problems) and no, you wouldn't have to be medicated lol.

It's also why I get really pissed off when people make jokes about non-teacher school staff like counselors, janitors, etc.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Zaryia
@sargentd said:
@kathaariancode said:

Nah this highly likely violates the first amendment. But you've defended actual court ruled constitutional violations in the past (TX and FL social media laws), so this is not surprising.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7284 Posts

@mrbojangles25: @sargentd:

We should teach about both religion and sexuality, to an extent. Like, that they exist, and a basic overview of them. My daughters both had classmates with same-sex parents, and my mom and grandmother-in-law are both very religious, so I've been talking to my kids about these subjects since they were 3. Keep it simple, but have the conversations. They are going to come across this stuff sooner than we all think, and they will Google it themselves if we don't give them some info.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38680 Posts

@Maroxad said:

@LJS9502_basic: Steaks are actually part of what pushed me to vegetarianism. Couldn't stand them. 🤮

But yeah, pushing ideology on people is not a winning move. If the religious right are interested in making people interested in christianity again, they should change their messaging, and how they communicate. At least, that is what nordic countries are doing. Which seems to be more successful than our Christian Democratic parties.

oh no, i enjoy being woken up too early on my saturday by my doorbell and told that jesus is coming back to murder all sinners and i should straighten up or face his sword.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23038 Posts

Well, it didn't take long for conservatives on this board to chime in with, "this is good, actually."

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 horgen  Moderator

@judaspete said:

@mrbojangles25: @sargentd:

We should teach about both religion and sexuality, to an extent. Like, that they exist, and a basic overview of them. My daughters both had classmates with same-sex parents, and my mom and grandmother-in-law are both very religious, so I've been talking to my kids about these subjects since they were 3. Keep it simple, but have the conversations. They are going to come across this stuff sooner than we all think, and they will Google it themselves if we don't give them some info.

Those religious grandmothers supports brainwashing in my experience. Teach about it in school. Don't forget the other religions.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Maroxad

I agree with people who say that religion should be taught. Here in Sweden, we teach it under a secular, Religious Studies class. It is not perfect, as teachers, are imperfect human beings like everyone else and may be subject to biases. But said education is better than no education.

Religion is very important to a lot of people out there, and having a religious education may help people understand how others think.

Unfortunately, shoving the 10 commandments (which ones? there were a lot of commandments), in every classroom is not an unbiased religious education and more closely resembles evangelization. Not to mention, the 10 commandments are a pretty lousy moral framework. And directly contradicts the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

@kathaariancode said:

"Scratch a liberal and a fascist bleeds"

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 horgen  Moderator

@Maroxad: The bias some teachers have is real. Personal experience is that younger teachers do a better job at being objective, but hey it might also be related to the last teacher I had in religion was married to a priest.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Maroxad
@horgen said:

@Maroxad: The bias some teachers have is real. Personal experience is that younger teachers do a better job at being objective, but hey it might also be related to the last teacher I had in religion was married to a priest.

Same, I hated my sociology and religious studies teacher in high school.

Thankfully, she didnt have an impact on my politics at all. Except for the fact that I abstained from voting for a few elections. She had made me so disgusted by politics.

This isn't to say I didnt dislike the course. Just the teacher. I was able to filter out her biases and nonsense, and still get a reasonable education.

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4370 Posts

@horgen said:

oh yeah. had a old teacher. for 6 months. hated the person. had suck a poor view of the topic he was teaching.

that the class was worthless for it.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36041 Posts

@sargentd: nope, religion in public schools is not a matter of State's rights, it's a matter of the separation of church and state. Literally this same thing was ruled on by the scotus in 1980.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#40 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@tjandmia:

Upon the article, it mentions other religious texts as well so people supposedly aren't limited to Christianity. Buuuut the 10 commandments are definitely a Christian/Catholic thing so it's like: promising religious freedom while shoving another religion at the faces of future kids. Bad time to be a Texan, I'd say!

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 LJS9502_basic

@nepu7supastar7 said:

@tjandmia:

Upon the article, it mentions other religious texts as well so people supposedly aren't limited to Christianity. Buuuut the 10 commandments are definitely a Christian/Catholic thing so it's like: promising religious freedom while shoving another religion at the faces of future kids. Bad time to be a Texan, I'd say!

Old Testament is technically the Jewish religion by origin.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#42 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44574 Posts

Lawsuits won't come to remove them from from school, it'll come from competing religious groups wanting equal funds and representation in public, including Satanist and Pastafarians.

We've seen this play out countless times over the years.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 lamprey263

@LJS9502_basic: "Old Testament is technically the Jewish religion by origin."

Technically it all falls under the Abrahamic umbrella, Judaism, Islam, Christianity, every derivative of such. Which is kind of an awful name, because the story of Abraham is probably the worst story ever told, utterly void of anything virtuous, unquestionably sociopathic.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By LJS9502_basic
@lamprey263 said:

@LJS9502_basic: "Old Testament is technically the Jewish religion by origin."

Technically it all falls under the Abrahamic umbrella, Judaism, Islam, Christianity, every derivative of such. Which is kind of an awful name, because the story of Abraham is probably the worst story ever told, utterly void of anything virtuous, unquestionably sociopathic.

Yes, I know. But he/she omitted the Jewish faith in his/her statement. I corrected him/her.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5013 Posts

Schools should be about reading, writing, math, science, money management, etc.

This belongs in school about as much as Kendi/DeAngelo's "Anti-racism", gender ideology, or flat earth ideology.

IE: Not at all.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 lamprey263

I remember that one time Stephen Colbert interviewed a GOP member of Congress who pushed to have the 10 Commandments in public spaces, so he asked the staunch proponent to name them on the spot, and he only got to 3/10...

https://www.cc.com/video/tlf8t3/the-colbert-report-better-know-a-district-georgia-s-8th-lynn-westmoreland

...these clowns 🤣

OMG, brings back memories.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23038 Posts

@Maroxad said:

@kathaariancode said:

"Scratch a liberal and a fascist bleeds"

Ben Shapiro is saying that governments should be able to ban men from wearing "traditional female clothing." It isn't even debatable anymore, any pretense to stated (American) Libertarian ideals has been cast aside.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12139 Posts

It’s crazy people are so caught up complaining about superficial wokeness while Texas is turning into a third world country

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 SargentD

@Mercenary848 said:

It’s crazy people are so caught up complaining about superficial wokeness while Texas is turning into a third world country

"It's 2016 and if you aren't cool with homosexuals teaching your kids about butt sex in schools"

*Starts kicking and breaking everything*

"PEACE ✌️ BECAUSE HATE IS WHACK DUDE"

Loading Video...

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Zaryia
@sargentd said:
@Mercenary848 said:

"It's 2016 and if you aren't cool with homosexuals teaching your kids about butt sex in schools"

Don't you have 100s of black biographies, Anne Franke books, SEL books, and KKK history books to go ban?