Read Here Before Posting About Firmware Updates (Q & A Thread)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PSP_Maniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 PSP_Maniac
Member since 2005 • 8616 Posts

All of the questions and answers I post, are by me, PSP_Maniac, and is from my knowledge and understanding.

Question 1: Where can I download the latest firmware upgrade for my PSP?
Answer: For U.S. PSP's http://www.us.playstation.com/psp.as...softwareupdate
For Japanese PSP's http://www.playstation.jp/psp/update/ud_01.html*Note that the website is in Japanese*
*Translation to English* http://tinyurl.com/dju6e
For European PSP's http://www.yourpsp.com/psp/psp.html#...l&locale=en_gb

Question 2: How do I download the firmware upgrade on to my PSP?
Answer: Their are 2 ways you can download the firmware update.
#1: Use the "Network Update" from your PSP and follow the steps from there. To use the "Network Update" you *must* have a wireless router or use a hotspot. Hotspots are located at hotels, bookstores, airports, maybe even in restaurants,e.t.c. To find a hotspot near you, look at these links: http://www.jiwire.com/ or http://www.wififreespot.com/ or http://www.wifinder.com/

#2: If you do not have a wireless router or do not want to go find a hotspot, you can download the firmware update with the USB port.

Have your PSP connected to your computer via USB and have your PSP in "USB Mode". (To access "USB Mode", go to your System Settings tab on your PSP and click on "USB Mode".)

Then go to the removable drive that your PSP uses on your computer (mine uses F: ) and click on the PSP folder.

If you have formatted your memory stick already, you should see the folders you need for the PSP so you can update the firmware. If you haven't formatted your memory stick, you won't see the folders unless you created them yourself. If you want to format your memory stick so the folders will be created for you, go to the System Settings tab on your PSP and click on "Format Memory Stick". ***IMPORTANT***- Any games you have saved, music, pictures, or videos you have put on *WILL* be deleted and be gone for good if you do not move them from your removable drive on to your Desktop. Once you have formatted your memory stick, just place the files back into the removable drive; in the folder(s) they belong into.***

In the PSP folder, go to the GAME folder. In the GAME folder, make an UPDATE folder. *Make sure the word UPDATE is in caps.* In the UPDATE folder, drag the EBOOT.PBP (which is the firmware update you saved on to your Desktop, either from the Japanese PSP or U.S. PSP website) into the UPDATE folder.

Removable drive - PSP folder - GAME folder - UPDATE folder - EBOOT.PBP

Once you have done that, go to your PSP and go to the Game tab. Then go down to "Memory Stick". Press X and then start the installation to the firmware update. The firmware update will install straight to your PSP. Once you have the firmware installed on your PSP, you can delete the update from your removable drive from the UPDATE folder. The UPDATE folder is in the GAME folder.
DONE!

Question 3: Can I download the Japanese firmware update on to my U.S. PSP?
Answer: As of now, YES you CAN. The consiquence to this, though, is that is DOES void your U.S. PSP warranty with Sony. That means that if you have any problems with your U.S. PSP and you updated the firmware to the Japanese firmware, Sony will not help you with any problems, and you will not be able to send in your PSP to Sony for them to replace it or fix it.

Whether or not your warranty does get voided from downloading the Japanese firmware on your U.S. PSP is questionable. When I typed this, a Sony rep on a website (don't remember what website), said that it would void your warranty, but people have said that they called Sony and that getting the Japanese firmware update on your U.S. PSP does NOT void your warranty. So, if you are worried about it voiding your warranty, call up Sony. I honestly think your warranty does NOT get voided. When I typed tutorial though, I just went with what the Sony rep said on a website. Many people already have their PSP for a year or longer, so their warranty has already expired. But, if your PSP is still under warranty and you're worried about your warranty, call up Sony.

Question 4: Does the Japanese firmware update screw up my U.S. PSP?
Answer: As for now, it does not harm/screw up your PSP. BUT, it does void your warraty, as I stated above. Yes, their will most likely be bugs with the Japanese firmware update, but they are the same bugs that the U.S. firmware update could have as well.

Question #5: If I updated my U.S. PSP to the Japanese firmware update, can I go back to U.S. firmware, when the next U.S. firmware comes out?
Answer: Yes you can on the next firmware version. But, if you have Japanese 2.0 and want to go to U.S. 2.0, you cannot do that. You will have to wait for the next U.S. firmware update.

Question #6: Can I downgrade my firmware update?
Answer: No; not yet anyways and most likely never. Not legally, anyways (and keep it at that). Yes, their is a Downgrader out, but I'm not getting into that. Use it at your risk.

generaltiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 generaltiger
Member since 2005 • 6608 Posts

excellent stickied thread!

PSP_Maniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 PSP_Maniac
I already asked Fiddlecub to sticky this. Every question and answer is by me, and me only. I did not copy and paste this.
Flugigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Flugigo
Member since 2004 • 6766 Posts
Pin.
Avatar image for delete-mikey050591
delete-mikey050591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 delete-mikey050591
Member since 2005 • 1135 Posts
hey psp maniac, i just got off the phone with sony, it doesnt void ur warranty
PSP_Maniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 PSP_Maniac
hey psp maniac, i just got off the phone with sony, it doesnt void ur warrantymikey050591

I'm not going into the story that one Sony worker said it does and one Sony worker said it doesn't. Sony, themselves, says that it does void your warranty if you have the Japanese firmware on a U.S. PSP. It's not from the people that work their, it's from the president or whoever from Sony that said it does void your warranty.
PSP_Maniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 PSP_Maniac
Thank you Fiddlecub!!!8)
Avatar image for THE_OLD_KNIGHT_
THE_OLD_KNIGHT_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 THE_OLD_KNIGHT_
Member since 2005 • 484 Posts

Great job, psp manicac, woot woot! its stickied!

racer12mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 racer12mike
Member since 2004 • 3169 Posts
What is the point of the sticky if nobody uses it?
PSP_Maniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 PSP_Maniac
What is the point of the sticky if nobody uses it?racer12mike

They will use it.
racer12mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 racer12mike
Member since 2004 • 3169 Posts

[QUOTE="racer12mike"]What is the point of the sticky if nobody uses it?PSP_Maniac

They will use it.

That's all I see are topics about 2.0.

PSP_Maniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 PSP_Maniac

[QUOTE="PSP_Maniac"][QUOTE="racer12mike"]What is the point of the sticky if nobody uses it?racer12mike

They will use it.

That's all I see are topics about 2.0.

That's why I made this. I'll just refer the people with questions about firmware questions to this thread. I know people will keep making posts about firmware questions.
themm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13 themm
Member since 2004 • 2605 Posts
wow this got stickied. cool 8)
PSP_Maniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PSP_Maniac
You can post my "Read Here Before Posting About Firmware Updates (Q & A Thread)" on Unions. I don't care; just please give me credit.
bigpimpn22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 bigpimpn22
Member since 2005 • 3426 Posts
Alright, biggest n00b question ever, but what does 2.0 do? I haven't browsed this board in months so I'm outta the loop...
PSP_Maniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 PSP_Maniac
Alright, biggest n00b question ever, but what does 2.0 do? I haven't browsed this board in months so I'm outta the loop...bigpimpn22

http://www.pspworld.com/sony-psp/software/psp-20-firmware-update-details-001015.php]
Avatar image for delete-mikey050591
delete-mikey050591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 delete-mikey050591
Member since 2005 • 1135 Posts
[QUOTE="mikey050591"]hey psp maniac, i just got off the phone with sony, it doesnt void ur warrantyPSP_Maniac

I'm not going into the story that one Sony worker said it does and one Sony worker said it doesn't. Sony, themselves, says that it does void your warranty if you have the Japanese firmware on a U.S. PSP. It's not from the people that work their, it's from the president or whoever from Sony that said it does void your warranty.

even though it supposdly does void your warranty, sony will give you no problems with sending it in for repairs. in fact im doing it soon, and 4 reps said it was fine. i dont mean to argue with you, im just saying that people should know that you can still send it in.
PSP_Maniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 PSP_Maniac
[QUOTE="PSP_Maniac"][QUOTE="mikey050591"]hey psp maniac, i just got off the phone with sony, it doesnt void ur warrantymikey050591

even though it supposdly does void your warranty, sony will give you no problems with sending it in for repairs. in fact im doing it soon, and 4 reps said it was fine. i dont mean to argue with you, im just saying that people should know that you can still send it in.

Oh ok, cool. I don't know what to believe anymore. I guess it's all about luck if your U.S. PSP will get fixed if you have Japanese firmware 2.0 on it.
XskylineX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 XskylineX
Member since 2005 • 3504 Posts
PSP_Maniac your awesome. :D
subhumanpunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 subhumanpunk
Member since 2005 • 2651 Posts

PSP_Maniac your awesome. :DXskylineX

He's the Psp God! oh hail PSP_Maniac!!

私はmari yaguchi を愛する

Yessur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Yessur
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

whens the psp firmware update comming

where can i get it from????????

Flugigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Flugigo
Member since 2004 • 6766 Posts

Yessur

Read. The. First. Post.
subhumanpunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 subhumanpunk

Yessur

What the crap man... You made your own thread asking this and we all answered! Why ask it here twice?

私はmari yaguchi を愛する

PSP_Maniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 PSP_Maniac

Yessur

It's coming tomorrow. You'll have to read my 1st post to know where to get it.
hohopgb43

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 hohopgb43
Member since 2005 • 201 Posts
thanx
Kevntoby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 Kevntoby
Member since 2003 • 188 Posts
I downloaded the new version using my Wireless Router. I then installed it, but nothing is different! Can anyone help me?
Avatar image for deactivated-605ba7fd6332a
deactivated-605ba7fd6332a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-605ba7fd6332a
Member since 2005 • 12039 Posts
I downloaded the new version using my Wireless Router. I then installed it, but nothing is different! Can anyone help me?Kevntoby

I think you downloaded the Filmware 1.52 update, which has no noticeable differences...............
Kevntoby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Kevntoby
How do i download the new one then while using my wireless router?
Kevntoby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Kevntoby
The network update is saying there are no newer updates.
Kevntoby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Kevntoby

The version I downloaded at about 2PM today was version 1.52 and the Network Update is saying there is no newer Update. Shouldn't the US version of the 2.0 Upgrade be showing up? Can anyone help me with this problem?

Kevntoby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Kevntoby
Is the US Version out yet, because I can not get it. Has anyone gotten the US version yet?
so_funny15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 so_funny15
Member since 2004 • 172 Posts

its just cuz sony's being lazy and havent posted it yet.

Probably some evil scheme to make fans wait rabidly until it comes out, and then tell us we need a special UMD to get it, which is only made by (guess who?) Sony. Its all a conspiracy, man! Get with the program!!

8)

Fame36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Fame36
Member since 2005 • 427 Posts
is'nt 2.0 out??
Kevntoby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Kevntoby
It is supposed to be, but it has not yet been released
mikemil828

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mikemil828
Member since 2003 • 7024 Posts
Ain't coming today folks
Kevntoby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Kevntoby

The US Version Firmware 2.0 will be released on August 15,2005, and not August 12, 2005 as previously reported.

Flamechu777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Flamechu777
Member since 2005 • 2685 Posts

The US Version Firmware 2.0 will be released on August 15,2005, and not August 12, 2005 as previously reported.

Kevntoby

link?

themm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 themm
[QUOTE="Kevntoby"]

Flamechu777

link?

um gamespot news
Flamechu777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Flamechu777
Member since 2005 • 2685 Posts
[QUOTE="Flamechu777"][QUOTE="Kevntoby"]

themm

link?

um gamespot news

Is that a link? Nooooooo.........

PSP_Maniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 PSP_Maniac
[QUOTE="themm"][QUOTE="Flamechu777"][QUOTE="Kevntoby"]

Flamechu777

link?

um gamespot news

This is: http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/08/12/news_6130961.html
themm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 themm
[QUOTE="themm"][QUOTE="Flamechu777"][QUOTE="Kevntoby"]

Flamechu777

link?

um gamespot news

shutup. man you are lazy. PSP_Maniac gave you the link but you could've just gone to news at the top or at the homepage
NightFangX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 NightFangX
Member since 2005 • 8230 Posts
You can post my "Read Here Before Posting About Firmware Updates (Q & A Thread)" on Unions. I don't care; just please give me credit.PSP_Maniac
dont you think your going a little ovrtthe top with all this 2.0 stuff. for all we know, the US 2.0 could have even more bugs. and how do you know sony said it voids it?
PSP_Maniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 PSP_Maniac
[QUOTE="PSP_Maniac"]You can post my "Read Here Before Posting About Firmware Updates (Q & A Thread)" on Unions. I don't care; just please give me credit.NightFangX
dont you think your going a little ovrtthe top with all this 2.0 stuff. for all we know, the US 2.0 could have even more bugs. and how do you know sony said it voids it?

I never said that the U.S. firmware won't have any bugs, and yeah it could have more than the Japanese firmware.
Operating under the Japanese 2.00 update on your American PSP voids its' warranty.

Sony has also said that if you have an American PSP and upgraded to the Japanese firmware, you should download the American version when it releases because using the 2.0 update voids your warranty on an American PSP.
hbgrg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 hbgrg
Member since 2005 • 275 Posts
um...i wanna now if it is possible to downgrade from 2.0 back to the original 1.5
PSP_Maniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 PSP_Maniac
um...i wanna now if it is possible to downgrade from 2.0 back to the original 1.5hbgrg

It's NOT possible.
Link564

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Link564
Member since 2005 • 4608 Posts
This semms a dumb question but do you need to download 1.52 before 2.0 or can you just download 2.0
subhumanpunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 subhumanpunk

This semms a dumb question but do you need to download 1.52 before 2.0 or can you just download 2.0Link564

You can already upgrade if you have any version lower than 2.0:D

Link564

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Link564
Member since 2005 • 4608 Posts
one more thing which time zone will the 2.0 for the us come out
sithlordjigsaw

Forum Posts