Read Here Before Posting About Firmware Updates (Q & A Thread)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Salesian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 Salesian
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
I already Downloaded the 2.00 version of the PSP from my GTA Liberty City Stories Game, so how do i get on the internet? PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Salesian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 Salesian
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
No just leave it the same
expanded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 expanded
Member since 2003 • 8430 Posts
i love this sticky :) but i don't see where it says what the latest firmware is.. :? it should say!! that would be cool
xbox_junkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#104 xbox_junkii
Member since 2005 • 598 Posts
dope thread. it's actually pretty helpful
PSP_Maniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 PSP_Maniac
Member since 2005 • 8616 Posts
i love this sticky :) but i don't see where it says what the latest firmware is.. :? it should say!! that would be coolexpanded

I made it so it covers all firmware versions , not just a specific version.
SirFiddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#106 SirFiddler
Member since 2005 • 39 Posts
:-( Help please I bought a PSP here in China. It's the PSP1007, as far as I found out on the internet it's the taiwanese version. It runs on 1.5 and so far I was fine with it as I only had Fifa and Lumines to play with it. Games are rare here and I never bothered downloading. Now I finally got GTA LCS and it says I have to update my system software to 2.0 . If I try to run the update that comes on the GTA disc, the screen goes blank and nothing but the X or O button can be pressed. If I press either I get another blank screen with an empty text box. That's where it ends. Only X to press then and nothing ever happens. I tried downloading the japanese upgrade, tried the hong kong upgrade to 2.5, always the same Can anyone help ? Really nice how Sony rewards you being honest only buying originals... Thanks for any help
SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#107 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
Probably a stupid question but, why is it illegal to downgrade the firmware on the psp?
PSP_Maniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 PSP_Maniac
Probably a stupid question but, why is it illegal to downgrade the firmware on the psp? SolidSnake35

Probably some license agreement in the PSP manual.
LTomlinson21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#109 LTomlinson21
Member since 2004 • 24423 Posts
Wow, this has been around since august, 11th.
XlpranksterlX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#110 XlpranksterlX
Member since 2005 • 7438 Posts

i wish we would have had this when there were all the 2.0 threads

ac2565

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#111 ac2565
Member since 2005 • 3699 Posts

[QUOTE="SolidSnake35"]Probably a stupid question but, why is it illegal to downgrade the firmware on the psp? PSP_Maniac

psp i got a question i do what u said and when i click (on my psp) download 2.50 it doesnt work whats teh problem?

PSP_Maniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 PSP_Maniac

[QUOTE="PSP_Maniac"] [QUOTE="SolidSnake35"]Probably a stupid question but, why is it illegal to downgrade the firmware on the psp? ac2565

psp i got a question i do what u said and when i click (on my psp) download 2.50 it doesnt work whats teh problem?

Did you put the firmware update (2.50) in the UPDATE (all caps) folder? Make sure the firmware update is not in a .zip or .rar. If it is, you'll have to extract it, but I don't think that's the problem you're having.
ac2565

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 ac2565
[QUOTE="ac2565"]

[QUOTE="PSP_Maniac"] [QUOTE="SolidSnake35"]Probably a stupid question but, why is it illegal to downgrade the firmware on the psp? PSP_Maniac

Did you put the firmware update (2.50) in the UPDATE (all caps) folder? Make sure the firmware update is not in a .zip or .rar. If it is, you'll have to extract it, but I don't think that's the problem you're having.

thanks psp manic it really helped me and i did what u said and it worked !

00suvadip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 00suvadip
Member since 2005 • 305 Posts
what memory stick should we use for the updates (256MB,512MB,1G)? im not asking whats the best memory stick, im just asking how much space it would need to take up.
ac2565

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 ac2565

what memory stick should we use for the updates (256MB,512MB,1G)? im not asking whats the best memory stick, im just asking how much space it would need to take up.
00suvadip

17 then after you finshed with the update you delete the update file (from ur computer)

propyro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 propyro
Member since 2005 • 6736 Posts
QUestion ... I heard that Sony may be putting region restrictions on the PSP through firmware updates to prevent american from playing Japanese games. Is this just a rumor? I hope it is.
PSP_Maniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 PSP_Maniac
QUestion ... I heard that Sony may be putting region restrictions on the PSP through firmware updates to prevent american from playing Japanese games. Is this just a rumor? I hope it is.propyro

I doubt that will ever happen. If it does, then that's the stupidest thing because I don't see what the big deal is in importing games.

propyro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 propyro
Member since 2005 • 6736 Posts
Well I hope it dosn't happen, one ofthe big reasons I caved in and bought a PSP is because it's a handheld with no region setting and a lot of import titles are interesting me.
phatcat617

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 phatcat617
Member since 2004 • 80 Posts

Hey - so the new firmware allows for sony's locationfree player to work... but does anyone know if the slingbox works on it as well? the slingbox is a decent amount cheaper...

ac2565

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 ac2565

Hey - so the new firmware allows for sony's locationfree player to work... but does anyone know if the slingbox works on it as well? the slingbox is a decent amount cheaper...

phatcat617

dont know check the links below

from playstion .com 

You can watch TV or videos on your PSPâ„¢ system by using the LocationFreeâ„¢ Player. To watch TV or videos at home, you must have a LocationFreeâ„¢ Base Station (a Sony product sold separately). To watch away from home, you must have a LocationFreeâ„¢ Base Station (a Sony product sold separately) and access to the Internet using a wireless LAN. For details, visit http://products.sel.sony.com/locationfreetv/owners/psp.html from your PC or www.sony.com/locationfree/ownerslounge/psp from your Internet-enabled PSPâ„¢ system

Use of the LocationFreeâ„¢ Player feature may not be supported in all countries and regions. Depending on where you live, the Base Station may not be available for purchase or use. Certain models of LocationFreeâ„¢ TV are not compatible with the PSPâ„¢ system. For details, visit http://www.sony.com/locationfree/ownerslounge/psp

cantbebetter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 cantbebetter
Member since 2005 • 5264 Posts

I have a few questions(sorry if they were already asked, I'm not going to read this whole thread)

1) What exactly does firmware do?

2) Does a new PSP come with any firmware?

3) Do you have to download the firmware in order or can you go from say 1.0 to the newest without downloading 1.5,2.0, ect?

4) Do you have to have the newest firmware?

Sorry for any spelling or grammer mistakes. Thanks in advance!

ac2565

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 ac2565

I have a few questions(sorry if they were already asked, I'm not going to read this whole thread)

3) Do you have to download the firmware in order or can you go from say 1.0 to the newest without downloading 1.5,2.0, ect?

cantbebetter

1)nothing its just a fancy word for upgrade

2) yes

3)no u dont

4)no put u have to have certain firmware # to play a game

cantbebetter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 cantbebetter
Member since 2005 • 5264 Posts
[QUOTE="cantbebetter"]

ac2565

2) yes

3)no u dont

Ok thanks

ac2565

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 ac2565
[QUOTE="ac2565"][QUOTE="cantbebetter"]

cantbebetter

2) yes

3)no u dont

Ok thanks

ur welcome

phatcat617

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 phatcat617
Member since 2004 • 80 Posts
hmmm - still can't figure it out - not like they would readily publicize if we could buy the cheaper one of course...
thanx for trying though
:)
Geek12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#126 Geek12
Member since 2004 • 1871 Posts
Whats with this internet thing? Can it go EVERYWHERE on the internet? cause if it has the ability to look at, well "bad things" then i get a reduced chance of getting one! the guy at Best Buy said no, but i really am not sure.
PSP_Maniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 PSP_Maniac
[QUOTE="Geek12"]Whats with this internet thing? Can it go EVERYWHERE on the internet? cause if it has the ability to look at, well "bad things" then i get a reduced chance of getting one! the guy at Best Buy said no, but i really am not sure.

No, you can't go everywhere. Pages with a lot of flash and popups will not load (as far as I know) and java and flash isn't currently supported for the browser.
cnthomas888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 cnthomas888
Member since 2005 • 599 Posts
ok im getin a psp...im getin a usb cord with it...so i put the usb in the computer...and the other end in my psp...i understand that....but where is the actual firmware update at???...how do i get that file on to my computer so that i can put it on my psp????
cnthomas888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 cnthomas888
Member since 2005 • 599 Posts
can sum1 just give me a completely detailed list of the steps i gota take to get the new firmware on my psp???...and dont use any abriviations plz....if u can help plz do....i really need help on this
ac2565

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 ac2565

ok im getin a psp...im getin a usb cord with it...so i put the usb in the computer...and the other end in my psp...i understand that....but where is the actual firmware update at???...how do i get that file on to my computer so that i can put it on my psp????cnthomas888

dont double post and the steps are on the first page first post

though here are the steps

Update using a PC

Required items A PSP™ (PlayStation®Portable) system with battery pack and AC adaptor Memory Stick Duo™ media with at least 18 MB of free space Internet access One of the following:A commercially available USB A<-> Mini-B (5-pin) cable A commercially available Memory Stick USB Reader/Writer*A PC equipped with a Memory Stick slot*  *If the slot on the device can handle only standard-size Memory Stick™ media, a Memory Stick Duo Adaptor (model number MSAC-M2; a Sony product sold separately) is required.

Download procedure

1.Prepare to save the update data on Memory Stick Duo™ media using one of the following methods:   Connect the PSP™ system to the PC using a commercially available USB cable   Connect a commercially available Memory Stick USB Reader/Writer to the PC  Use the Memory Stick slot on the PC

2. Create a folder for the update data on the Memory Stick Duoâ„¢ media.

Using your PC, create a folder named "PSP" on the Memory Stick Duoâ„¢ media. Within the "PSP" folder, create a folder named "GAME". Within the "GAME" folder, create a folder named "UPDATE". (Folder names are not case-sensitive.)

3.Download the update data and save it in the "UPDATE" folder created in step 2. 

Notice
You must save the downloaded data as noted in these instructions. If you do not save in the correct location and with the filename shown below, the system will not recognize the update data.
Filename: Save as filename "EBOOT.PBP"

Update procedure

Notices Before starting the update, you must do the following: Check that the battery is fully charged. Connect the AC adaptor to the PSP™ system and plug it into an electrical outlet.  During the update:Do not remove the AC adaptor. Do not turn off the system or remove the Memory Stick Duo™ media. If an update is canceled before completion, the system software may be damaged, requiring servicing to repair or exchange.

1. Insert the Memory Stick Duoâ„¢ media containing the update data in the PSPâ„¢ system.

2. Start the update data.

Select under from the home menu, and then select . Press the button to start the update.

3. Confirm that the update was successful.

After the update has completed, select "System Settings" under from the home menu, and then select "System Information". If the System Software field displays the version number of the update, the update was successful.

Hint
After the update has successfully completed, you can delete the update data from the Memory Stick Duoâ„¢ media.

If the following screen is displayed when you attempt to start the update data, the system software in your system is already updated and you do not need to perform an update.

solsticeblue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#131 solsticeblue
Member since 2003 • 1482 Posts
My question regarding PSP firware actually goes the other way around as you guys have mentioned. Instead of getting Japanese firware to US PSPs, I was wondering if there are any known consequences for downloading US firware to a Japanese PSP. The North American PSP site has warned against possible malfunctions if the update is given to a non-North American PSP (model 1001).

You see, I just got my Ceramic White PSP Giga Pack (teh import!), and I'm not sure if I should just keep downloading the Japanese firware updates or the North American updates.

Hopefully, somebody can answer soon. Thanks.
elpooz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 elpooz
Member since 2005 • 5883 Posts

im getin a psp and kingdom of paradise with it...brand new psps have 1.0 firmware...and kingdom of paradise has 2.0 so if i put kingdom of paradise in my psp will the 2.0 firmware be installed automatically???....

ac2565

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 ac2565

im getin a psp and kingdom of paradise with it...brand new psps have 1.0 firmware...and kingdom of paradise has 2.0 so if i put kingdom of paradise in my psp will the 2.0 firmware be installed automatically???....

elpooz

NO  though though u have to install it

it comes with the game and is in the game go to games and underneath "umd" there it says "network update " click that then let it download

ac2565

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 ac2565

My question regarding PSP firware actually goes the other way around as you guys have mentioned. Instead of getting Japanese firware to US PSPs, I was wondering if there are any known consequences for downloading US firware to a Japanese PSP. The North American PSP site has warned against possible malfunctions if the update is given to a non-North American PSP (model 1001).

You see, I just got my Ceramic White PSP Giga Pack (teh import!), and I'm not sure if I should just keep downloading the Japanese firware updates or the North American updates.

solsticeblue

whatever u want to download

solsticeblue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 solsticeblue

[QUOTE="solsticeblue"] My question regarding PSP firware actually goes the other way around as you guys have mentioned. Instead of getting Japanese firware to US PSPs, I was wondering if there are any known consequences for downloading US firware to a Japanese PSP. The North American PSP site has warned against possible malfunctions if the update is given to a non-North American PSP (model 1001).

ac2565

So, my PSP won't screw up if I downloaded the US firmware?
PSP_Maniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 PSP_Maniac
[QUOTE="solsticeblue"]

[QUOTE="solsticeblue"] My question regarding PSP firware actually goes the other way around as you guys have mentioned. Instead of getting Japanese firware to US PSPs, I was wondering if there are any known consequences for downloading US firware to a Japanese PSP. The North American PSP site has warned against possible malfunctions if the update is given to a non-North American PSP (model 1001).

ac2565

So, my PSP won't screw up if I downloaded the US firmware?

Your PSP won't screw up. You can download any firmware update on any PSP whether it's a Japanese PSP and you want a U.S. firmware or whether it's a U.S. PSP and you want a Japanese firmware on it.
solsticeblue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 solsticeblue
^ Thanks, that's a much clearer answer.
drenickant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 drenickant
Member since 2005 • 193 Posts
Thanks for the informations.
drenickant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 drenickant
Member since 2005 • 193 Posts
If your PSP is made in Japan, I would suggest that you update your firmware with a Japanese Update. Just for safety.
RupublicJedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 RupublicJedi
Member since 2005 • 108 Posts

If you did download the Japenese firmware would the download language be in Japanese on your PSP?

Before installing the firmware do you have to install a lower firmware version before you can install the newest, or would it help anyway to install the lower versions first since it may give you the updates that the new one may not contain? And is the newest firmware out 2.50?

Also any idea on how much memory the updates take up?

Thanks

PSP_Maniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 PSP_Maniac

If you did download the Japenese firmware would the download language be in Japanese on your PSP?

Before installing the firmware do you have to install a lower firmware version before you can install the newest, or would it help anyway to install the lower versions first since it may give you the updates that the new one may not contain? And is the newest firmware out 2.50?

Also any idea on how much memory the updates take up?

Thanks

RupublicJedi

Whatever language you have set on your PSP is what the lanugage will stay at whether you download the Japanese firmware or any firmware version. It doesn't matter what firmware version you have; just upgrade it and it will work fine. You can have firmware 1.50 and go to 2.50; which is the lastest firmware that is out and you will get all the features no matter what firmware you updated from. The firmware update is about 14MB.
RupublicJedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 RupublicJedi

Does each time you update the firmware take up twice as much memory each time you do it?

Approx you said it takes about 14MB so the next time you come to update it it takes 28MB because of the last update is still taking up memory?

thanks

:D

PSP_Maniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 PSP_Maniac

Does each time you update the firmware take up twice as much memory each time you do it?

Approx you said it takes about 14MB so the next time you come to update it it takes 28MB because of the last update is still taking up memory?

thanks

:D

RupublicJedi

No, the new latest firmware 2.60 is about 14MB as well, as far as I know.
RupublicJedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 RupublicJedi

Is the PSP - 1000, PSP 1000 k or the PSP 1000 KCW compatible with the 2.6 japanese frimware?

Just checking

PSP_Maniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 PSP_Maniac

Is the PSP - 1000, PSP 1000 k or the PSP 1000 KCW compatible with the 2.6 japanese frimware?

Just checking

RupublicJedi

Technically, every PSP is compatible with any firmware version; whether it be a Japanese PSP firmware or U.S. firmware, but it's recommended that you use the firmware version (let's say Japanese firmware) on a Japanese PSP.
gsgdvcbsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 gsgdvcbsa
Member since 2005 • 2094 Posts
so if i buy my PSP now with Burnout and GTA they both wont work until i download the update.
PSP_Maniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 PSP_Maniac
so if i buy my PSP now with Burnout and GTA they both wont work until i download the update.gsgdvcbsa

Depending what firmware the PSP comes with. If it's a UK PSP, you would need to put firmware 2.0 on to be able to play the games.
gsgdvcbsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 gsgdvcbsa
Member since 2005 • 2094 Posts

[QUOTE="gsgdvcbsa"]so if i buy my PSP now with Burnout and GTA they both wont work until i download the update.PSP_Maniac

Depending what firmware the PSP comes with. If it's a UK PSP, you would need to put firmware 2.0 on to be able to play the games.

iam from Canada so will i still have to update.

PSP_Maniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 PSP_Maniac

[QUOTE="PSP_Maniac"] [QUOTE="gsgdvcbsa"]so if i buy my PSP now with Burnout and GTA they both wont work until i download the update.gsgdvcbsa

iam from Canada so will i still have to update.

I don't know. It depends what firmware comes with the PSP. If it's 2.0 then you won't have to upgrade.
fynne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 fynne
Member since 2002 • 8078 Posts

Games nowadays come packaged with the firmware that they need.  You just have to run it off of the UMD.  I always get the latest version from the web myself, at www.sony.com on the PSP page.  Remember to have the PSP fully charged and plugged in before you run it.