Read Here Before Posting About Firmware Updates (Q & A Thread)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

geodisicdome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#201 geodisicdome
Member since 2005 • 13663 Posts
[QUOTE="PSP_Maniac"] [QUOTE="Spectre-123"][QUOTE="PSP_Maniac"] [QUOTE="geodisicdome"]Do you know what the next update will have in store for us? Sorry to be such a noob but I dont keep up with these things.... I am most interested in new video formats. If there will be any more supported.

what do you mean by new video format? all I see is UMD video profile

He means for new video formats to be added that the PSP can play, such as: AVI, WMV, MOV,e.t.c.

Yeah, I currently have to convert what I download and decrypt using either 3GP or PSPvideo9. When they are in mp4 they are pretty useless to me other than for the PSP; it would be easier for me to have everything in .avi or WMV without the need for conversion.
Do you think it could happen in a future update?
PSP_Maniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#202 PSP_Maniac
Member since 2005 • 8616 Posts
[QUOTE="geodisicdome"] [QUOTE="PSP_Maniac"] [QUOTE="Spectre-123"][QUOTE="PSP_Maniac"] [QUOTE="geodisicdome"]Do you know what the next update will have in store for us? Sorry to be such a noob but I dont keep up with these things.... I am most interested in new video formats. If there will be any more supported.

He means for new video formats to be added that the PSP can play, such as: AVI, WMV, MOV,e.t.c.

Yeah, I currently have to convert what I download and decrypt using either 3GP or PSPvideo9. When they are in mp4 they are pretty useless to me other than for the PSP; it would be easier for me to have everything in .avi or WMV without the need for conversion.

Hopefully it will be added, but I don't think it will be anytime soon.
Avatar image for deactivated-605ba7fd6332a
deactivated-605ba7fd6332a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#203 deactivated-605ba7fd6332a
Member since 2005 • 12039 Posts
[QUOTE="PSP_Maniac"] [QUOTE="geodisicdome"] [QUOTE="PSP_Maniac"] [QUOTE="Spectre-123"][QUOTE="PSP_Maniac"] [QUOTE="geodisicdome"]Do you know what the next update will have in store for us? Sorry to be such a noob but I dont keep up with these things.... I am most interested in new video formats. If there will be any more supported.

Yes. At the moment, the only possible way to play .avi and .wmv movies on your PSP is through homebrew apps.
NightFangX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#204 NightFangX
Member since 2005 • 8230 Posts
[QUOTE="uhoh_hotdogs"] [QUOTE="PSP_Maniac"] [QUOTE="geodisicdome"] [QUOTE="PSP_Maniac"] [QUOTE="Spectre-123"][QUOTE="PSP_Maniac"] [QUOTE="geodisicdome"]Do you know what the next update will have in store for us? Sorry to be such a noob but I dont keep up with these things.... I am most interested in new video formats. If there will be any more supported.

Yes. At the moment, the only possible way to play .avi and .wmv movies on your PSP is through homebrew apps.

yeah, unless you want to watch flash videos, they will probably add support for those in the next Firmware Update.
snakemaster77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#205 snakemaster77
Member since 2006 • 32 Posts
just update tp get the goodddies
InSane_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#206 InSane_Snake
Member since 2004 • 6171 Posts

I'm thinking about buying a PSP off ebay or something. What is the latest Firmware version? And if I buy another memory stick will I have to upgrade the firmware again?

PSP_Maniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207 PSP_Maniac

I'm thinking about buying a PSP off ebay or something. What is the latest Firmware version? And if I buy another memory stick will I have to upgrade the firmware again?

InSane_Snake

The latest Firmware version is 2.60. Buying a memory stick has no effect toward the Firmware.
Latinbro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#208 Latinbro1
Member since 2005 • 723 Posts
I bought a regula 2gb sandisk pro duo memory stick and just realized it's not compatible with ATRAC3 and ATRAC3Plus formats.  To what media formats am I limited with this memory stick?  Also, if I decide to exchange it and get a 2gb "gaming" memory stick pro duo from the sandisk will it read ATRAC, MPG4, jpg and other formats for pics, music and movie files?
PSP_Maniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 PSP_Maniac
[QUOTE="Latinbro1"]I bought a regula 2gb sandisk pro duo memory stick and just realized it's not compatible with ATRAC3 and ATRAC3Plus formats. To what media formats am I limited with this memory stick? Also, if I decide to exchange it and get a 2gb "gaming" memory stick pro duo from the sandisk will it read ATRAC, MPG4, jpg and other formats for pics, music and movie files?

Are you sure the SanDisk 2GB doesn't work with ATRAC3 and Plus formats? I know the Sony doesn't but I thought the SanDisk would.But if it doesn't, everything else should work fine though; using MP3s, WMA (only works with Firmware 2.60 and you need to have access to the PSP Web Browser to accept the agreement), .MP4/AVC photo files,e.t.c. If the SanDisk 2GB doesn't work then I wouldn't see why the "Gaming" one would work; but I could be wrong. I assume that Sony will make SonicStage compatible with 2GB Memory Sticks in the next/later version of SonicStage.
NiCk_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#210 NiCk_99
Member since 2006 • 45 Posts

That clears everything up for me. THANKS:D!!!

NiCk_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#211 NiCk_99
Member since 2006 • 45 Posts
Is Firmware 3.0 coming out??:question:
Latinbro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 Latinbro1
[QUOTE="PSP_Maniac"] [QUOTE="Latinbro1"]I bought a regula 2gb sandisk pro duo memory stick and just realized it's not compatible with ATRAC3 and ATRAC3Plus formats. To what media formats am I limited with this memory stick? Also, if I decide to exchange it and get a 2gb "gaming" memory stick pro duo from the sandisk will it read ATRAC, MPG4, jpg and other formats for pics, music and movie files?

Are you sure the SanDisk 2GB doesn't work with ATRAC3 and Plus formats? I know the Sony doesn't but I thought the SanDisk would.But if it doesn't, everything else should work fine though; using MP3s, WMA (only works with Firmware 2.60 and you need to have access to the PSP Web Browser to accept the agreement), .MP4/AVC photo files,e.t.c. If the SanDisk 2GB doesn't work then I wouldn't see why the "Gaming" one would work; but I could be wrong. I assume that Sony will make SonicStage compatible with 2GB Memory Sticks in the next/later version of SonicStage.

thanx.  I'm thinking that it might be sonicstage, although've not had a chance to test other programs that convert mp3 to ATRAC.  However, when I converted some mp3 songs to ATRACplus at a bit rate of 64kps using sonicstage and transfered them to the defult 32mb memory stick that came with the psp it worked fine.  I tried multiple conversions and transfered them to the 32mb stick and they worked fine.  I didn't have such luck with the 2gb one from sandisk.  So I almost feel like I have to rule out the possibility that sonicstage is the issue or that the psp 2.6 upgrade is the issue.
Latinbro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 Latinbro1
Ok i'm gonna reply to my own statment and follow up by saying that it could be either sonicstage or teh 2gb stick.  I randomly found other forums and websties that state that even the sony 2gb stick doesn't work with sonicstage ( say "even Sony" under the assumptions that they were the ones responsible for this format).  If anyone knows anything else, plese post it.  
PSP_Maniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214 PSP_Maniac
[QUOTE="Latinbro1"] [QUOTE="PSP_Maniac"] [QUOTE="Latinbro1"]I bought a regula 2gb sandisk pro duo memory stick and just realized it's not compatible with ATRAC3 and ATRAC3Plus formats. To what media formats am I limited with this memory stick? Also, if I decide to exchange it and get a 2gb "gaming" memory stick pro duo from the sandisk will it read ATRAC, MPG4, jpg and other formats for pics, music and movie files?

thanx. I'm thinking that it might be sonicstage, although've not had a chance to test other programs that convert mp3 to ATRAC. However, when I converted some mp3 songs to ATRACplus at a bit rate of 64kps using sonicstage and transfered them to the defult 32mb memory stick that came with the psp it worked fine. I tried multiple conversions and transfered them to the 32mb stick and they worked fine. I didn't have such luck with the 2gb one from sandisk. So I almost feel like I have to rule out the possibility that sonicstage is the issue or that the psp 2.6 upgrade is the issue.

Most likely it's the SanDisk 2GB Memory Stick PRO Duo giving the problem due to it not being compatible with SonicStage. It's not from the 2.6 Firmware update though; it would either be the Memory Stick itself or SonicStage. I'm 95% sure that it's the Memory Stick that isn't supported in SonicStage. I know the Sony 2GB High Speed Memory Stick PRO Duo isn't supported/compatible so it seems to go the same with the SanDisk. So, either
A: Use MP3s or WMA files (you'll need to have access to the PSP Web Browser to accept the license agreement to use WMA files).
B: Wait for Sony to make the 2GB's compatible with SonicStage...I can't see why that won't happen.
C: Exchange your Memory Stick and get a 1GB...although you have a 2GB so just exchanging to play ATRAC3plus files is stupid.
PSP_Maniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 PSP_Maniac
Is Firmware 3.0 coming out??:question:NiCk_99

Nope, not yet.
Latinbro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216 Latinbro1
does anyone know if sony will compensate for the lack of shoulder bottons on the psp when the start offering ps1 downloads for it?  THere are games like tomb raider, fear effect, tenchu, and others that need all the shoulder and face bottons.  
reallycrazykid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217 reallycrazykid
Member since 2006 • 382 Posts
I've got the 2.6 update and Sonicstage 2.2 and a 2GB memstick from Sony and my attrac3plus files work like a dream.........You do put the psp to the computer via USB??? Because sonicstage doesnt read the memory stick directly you must put the PSP in USB mode..
PSP_Maniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 PSP_Maniac
I've got the 2.6 update and Sonicstage 2.2 and a 2GB memstick from Sony and my attrac3plus files work like a dream.........You do put the psp to the computer via USB??? Because sonicstage doesnt read the memory stick directly you must put the PSP in USB mode..reallycrazykid

Right, you have to have your PSP in USB Mode for SonicStage to recognize the removable drive for the PSP. You have an old version of SonicStage though. The latest is 3.4 if you want to update but if 2.2 works for you then don't bother: http://www.aii.co.jp/contents/sonic/_data/ss34_01_13062/US/SonicStageInstaller.exe.
reallycrazykid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219 reallycrazykid

i updated to 3.4 and i found out how to play the music...and i found the bug!!!!

memory stick pro duo 2GB model cant play COPYWRITED music tracks off of sonicstage!!!!

SO make a CD with the tracks..and rip it into WMP(windows media)or sonicstage..it should work!!

if it dont, or rip it into WMP and make a cd off of WMP..then rip into sonicstage!!!

TIP!!! use a CD-RW saves cd's!!

works like a dream for me

hope it helps u guys!!

---

reallycrazykid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 reallycrazykid
oh and it works on my SONY one
reallycrazykid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 reallycrazykid
oh and it works on my SONY one
CyRu5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 CyRu5
Member since 2005 • 1092 Posts
This conversation doesnt really belong in the firmware thread...

But as long as it is here, i'm gonna comment.

I have the newest version of SonicStage (dont recall exactly what version number), and a Sandisk 2gb pro duo. I have PSP firmware 2.6. ATRAC3/ATRAC3plus work perfectly. I'd also like to note that they also worked perfectly with psp firmware version 2.0 as well. and i believe they actually work fine with any fw version as far back as 1.0. but im not 100% sure on that.

The Sandisk "gaming" brand is EXACTLY the same as the regular. The ONLY difference is the color. And that is seriously irrelevant when you don't ever see the thing as its always inside the psp. So don't buy the gaming brand. it only exists to suck more money out of people stupid enough to pay more money because they think its better fitted for the psp.

I'm surprised nobody's discussing the firmware 2.7 that's coming out tomorrow...
Ipimpsnipa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#223 Ipimpsnipa
Member since 2006 • 1806 Posts
actually i have a question about version 2.7 i don't have a router working right now and can i download the update via usb cable because i really want it
PSP_Maniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 PSP_Maniac
actually i have a question about version 2.7 i don't have a router working right now and can i download the update via usb cable because i really want itIpimpsnipa

You sure can: http://www.us.playstation.com/psp.aspx?id=softwareupdate.
spellbinder22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225 spellbinder22
Member since 2006 • 2194 Posts

Can u play ur psp wirelesly with ur friend who is in another state.

Avatar image for mastershake5825
mastershake5825

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 mastershake5825
Member since 2006 • 248 Posts

Anyone having trouble with upgrade to 2.7 from us.playstation.com?  Everytime I download it to my psp I get 2.6 and it wont let me update.  Is there another place to download the update?

Morokoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 Morokoth
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
I also downloaded the 2.7 update from Playstation.Com and it updated perfectly. All I'm having trouble with is puting videos on my psp. It won't show for some reason even though I converted and transfered properly. I believe it's the naming of the files that's messing it up.

On a side note, my friend also wanted the update since his was a 1.5. I offered to update his Psp and he agreed. All I needed was his memory stick, which I got. I downloaded the update and when I went to check it, it said it was a 2.6 even though I downloaded the 2.7 update. He didn't care as long as he get to put up wallpapers.
shawnomac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#228 shawnomac
Member since 2003 • 647 Posts
The new firmware 2.7 is 18 mb and i know that its not a problem for people with 1 gig memory sticks but i have a 32 (for now ) and i wana know if after updating to 2.7 can i remove the file to save space on my memory stick or does it need to permamently be there? probaly a stupid question but if some one could help id appreciate it. 
Morokoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 Morokoth
Just download the update to your memory card and once it finishes updating, delete it. Your PsP is updated so there is no need to have it anymore.
PSP_Maniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 PSP_Maniac
[QUOTE="Morokoth"] I also downloaded the 2.7 update from Playstation.Com and it updated perfectly. All I'm having trouble with is puting videos on my psp. It won't show for some reason even though I converted and transfered properly. I believe it's the naming of the files that's messing it up.

Read my tutorial: http://www.gamespot.com/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=24146048.

Morokoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231 Morokoth
I did what your tutorial said. I formatted my psp memory stick and it has the 100MNV01 and 101ANV01 folders. I converted my video and named it M4V00009.MP4. Then I dragged it to the 100MNV01 folder. I got out of the usb mode and checked if the video was there. It wasn't -.-. 
PSP_Maniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232 PSP_Maniac
[QUOTE="Morokoth"]I did what your tutorial said. I formatted my psp memory stick and it has the 100MNV01 and 101ANV01 folders. I converted my video and named it M4V00009.MP4. Then I dragged it to the 100MNV01 folder. I got out of the usb mode and checked if the video was there. It wasn't -.-.

That's strange but could happen. The only thing I can say is to try another video.
shawnomac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233 shawnomac
Member since 2003 • 647 Posts
yea i have the same problem. i have 2.0 though. the wierd thing is that when i get movies that are regular videos and i convert them to mpg4 they work but if i download videos off the playstation website that are specificaly made for the psp, they dont work. i also did the whole format deal.
Morokoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234 Morokoth
When you say that you download videos from the playstation site, you mean the trailers, right? If so, then the trailers would go on the the other folder. All the vidoes that you convert and put in your folder(which you can watch) should go in the 100MNV01 folder while the trailers should go in the other. There's no need to convert the trailers from the playstation site. I hope that helps. If it doesn't...then I guessed it only works for me :P
Morokoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235 Morokoth
[QUOTE="PSP_Maniac"] [QUOTE="Morokoth"]I did what your tutorial said. I formatted my psp memory stick and it has the 100MNV01 and 101ANV01 folders. I converted my video and named it M4V00009.MP4. Then I dragged it to the 100MNV01 folder. I got out of the usb mode and checked if the video was there. It wasn't -.-.

That's strange but could happen. The only thing I can say is to try another video.

I got it fixed now. I renamed the files that I converted to M4V0000x(the x being any number). Thanks for your guide, it helped out alot.
reallycrazykid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236 reallycrazykid

do any of you have imageconverter 2 plus

it directly make the folder and puts the movies in it...(mem stick) it works PERFECTLY

the progran is 20 bucks   i guarantee that your money will be well spent

or if u have a sony pc it might come with it

Yoshi_Zelda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237 Yoshi_Zelda
Member since 2005 • 1501 Posts
I have a EU PSP, and i want to download the latest version (2.70), will it work? any risks?

thanks
PSP_Maniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238 PSP_Maniac
[QUOTE="Yoshi_Zelda"]I have a EU PSP, and i want to download the latest version (2.70), will it work? any risks?

thanks

Yep, of course it will work. It's from Sony themselves. You just won't be able to use any homebrew or GTA:LCS CheatDevice on 2.70.
Yoshi_Zelda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239 Yoshi_Zelda
[QUOTE="PSP_Maniac"] [QUOTE="Yoshi_Zelda"]I have a EU PSP, and i want to download the latest version (2.70), will it work? any risks?

thanks

Yep, of course it will work. It's from Sony themselves. You just won't be able to use any homebrew or GTA:LCS CheatDevice on 2.70.

But will the american update work on a EU psp?

thanks
PSP_Maniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240 PSP_Maniac
[QUOTE="Yoshi_Zelda"] [QUOTE="PSP_Maniac"] [QUOTE="Yoshi_Zelda"]I have a EU PSP, and i want to download the latest version (2.70), will it work? any risks?

thanks

thanks

Yeah, it will but why not get the Europe Firmware 2.70 from HERE?
Yoshi_Zelda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241 Yoshi_Zelda
[QUOTE="PSP_Maniac"] [QUOTE="Yoshi_Zelda"] [QUOTE="PSP_Maniac"] [QUOTE="Yoshi_Zelda"]I have a EU PSP, and i want to download the latest version (2.70), will it work? any risks?

thanks

thanks

Yeah, it will but why not get the Europe Firmware 2.70 from HERE?

I installed the US version of it, don't know what the differences are, but they should be the same, right?
PSP_Maniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242 PSP_Maniac

I installed the US version of it, don't know what the differences are, but they should be the same, right?
Yoshi_Zelda

Yeah, I'm sure they are the same and shouldn't cause any problem on your European PSP.
Yoshi_Zelda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243 Yoshi_Zelda
Phew, Thanks! really appreciate your help! :D
gamefreek_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244 gamefreek_1
Member since 2004 • 431 Posts
I know it's a little late after 25 pages, but thanks PSP_Maniac, you saved me the trouble of posting and waiting for a reply on how to update my PSP =D. Great sticky.
katamari5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245 katamari5
Member since 2006 • 69 Posts
how do you download the EBOOT.PBP?
this is the only problem i have. when i go to the playstation site, there isn't a way to download it except the directions of putting the UPDATE folder and the descriptions of the update.
PSP_Maniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246 PSP_Maniac
how do you download the EBOOT.PBP?
this is the only problem i have. when i go to the playstation site, there isn't a way to download it except the directions of putting the UPDATE folder and the descriptions of the update.katamari5

Look for the button. Here's the U.S. Firmware 2.70 EBOOT.PBP file: http://du01.psp.update.playstation.org/update/us/20060425_aea0541d63cb1d5112284efb1fb833a0/EBOOT.PBP.
RyuHayabusaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#247 RyuHayabusaX
Member since 2005 • 7838 Posts
With 2.7, I know I can use Flash, but does that mean I  can play any game on the interent? Does it mean I can watch any game on the internet?
PSP_Maniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248 PSP_Maniac
With 2.7, I know I can use Flash, but does that mean I can play any game on the interent? Does it mean I can watch any game on the internet?RyuHayabusaX

No, you can only play any flash game or video that uses/supports Flash Player 6.
Goffee71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249 Goffee71
Member since 2005 • 548 Posts

You can play some Flash 6 games that don't take up too much memory, even then they might be slower than you'd play on a PC. As for watching games on the Internet, not a clue!

geodisicdome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250 geodisicdome
Member since 2005 • 13663 Posts
When is 3.0 coming out?