Official PS3 FAQ Thread (Last Update: 9/5/2011) [console price drop update]

This topic is locked from further discussion.

abdelmessih101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201 abdelmessih101
Member since 2007 • 5230 Posts

I don't know if this was answered somewhere else in the forum, but is there a way to transfer PS2 saves from the PS2 memory card to a PC and then from the PC to the PS3? I know about the memory card adapter already but I am picking up the PS3 that comes with MGS4 on June 12. I am trading in my PS2, both of my controllers, and my memory card towards it but I want to keep my PS2 saves. The memory card is the difference between getting $35 for my PS2 and $80; but I don't want to buy another memory card just to keep my saves when I can just put them directly on my new PS3.ad1x2

I don't know any other way to transfer memory other than by using the memory card adapter. Why not just get the PS3 first, transfer your memory, and then sell your PS2?

nice thread, i have a question. unfortunatley, my 40gb ps3 stopped reaeding discs, so i called sony, they sent me a box, and i put my ps3 in there, and yesterday( Monday, June 02/09) i send them the box, do you know how long it will take for my PS3 to come back, thanks, MGS4 is coming out, and i wanna play it, thanks and nice thread! EDIT: btw i live in Calgary, Alberta Canada, and my PS3 is going to be fixed in British Columbia, Canada, so do u know when it wi be back? thanks!ss5vegetunks

I know a lot about the PS3 but I'm not psychic. :P

Thanx! And nice thread.DarkStar4565

Thanks and you're welcome. ;)

Informative thread THANKS! :DGenetic34

Thanks and you're welcome. ;)

Blue_Panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#202 Blue_Panda
Member since 2006 • 1293 Posts
very interesting. i vote sticky.. why isnt it stickied yet anyway?
Avatar image for Flanders_Stupid
Flanders_Stupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#203 Flanders_Stupid
Member since 2008 • 449 Posts
does any1 have a solution 4 the DNS error ..im using wi fi??
SleepyByte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#204 SleepyByte
Member since 2007 • 305 Posts

I have a question/addition suggestion.

My question is: Does the PS3 support the use of a Keyboard? Just a standard USB keyboard?

What could be added FAQ is: What peripherals are available/should I get for the PS3? Answer....?

I know a driving wheel and remote control are available and I think a camera... what else is available / do I need? Maybe just a link to someplace... More kudos for you on this thread... lots of good information for the PS3 n00b aka me ;)

jwals9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205 jwals9
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

I'm sure someone has asked this/answered this: Should I get a cooler for my PS3? Are they effective? Which one's a good one, or what should I look for? I don't want a loud one, if there is such a thing.

gliliumho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206 gliliumho
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
Hi. I would like to ask if I can use 2 TVs for my PS3 while playing GT5. Which means 1 TV for each player if there're 2 players.
babstheyaris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207 babstheyaris
Member since 2006 • 3143 Posts

Hi everyone, I'm a TOTAL newbie when it comes to the PS3 and I need some help. I'm very sorry if this question has been asked before or if any of you think that I'm stupid but I do need a friendly answer asap.

Yesterday I bought a pre-owned PS3 60GB. The problem is that there was no instruction manual with it. I've got it up and running and it plays my PS2 & PS1 games fine....well the ones that I've tried anyway. My problem is this - how do I save my progress? I realise that the PS3 has got an internal memory but it only seems to be for PS3 games. What am I missing?, do I need to buy some sort of accessory to enable me to save PS2 & PS1 game progress? If I can't save my progress then what is the point of backwards compatibility!!!

I dare say that the answer to my question is staring me in the face but please can someone point me in the right direction :) before I go insane and beat myself up for spending so much money.

abdelmessih101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 abdelmessih101

Back from the dead and better than ever with a much needed MEGA update!!! :D

As always, any help is appreciated, so notify me, preferrably through a PM, about any additions or modification you would like me to make to my thread. Just be sure to provide a link to a credible source to back up your information. ;)

abdelmessih101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 abdelmessih101

Also, for future reference, if you have a question and post it here, I'm not always on the PS3 forum to see it. So, if your question goes unanswered for a day or two, feel free to PM the question to me and I'll try my best to answer it. :)

To those of you who posted questions a while ago and still haven't figured out the answer yet, let me know if you still need help in a PM. I'm sorry, but I have some homework to do and I won't have time to answer it today, but I'll get to it eventually.

If you need a faster answer, and if all else has failed, make a thread on the PS3 board asking your question and I'm sure someone will help. But please use that option only as a last resort.

I made this thread to decrease the number of people asking simple questions about the PS3, so please try to show your appreciation by refraining from flooding the board with questions - try doing your own research instead.

Thanks for understanding. :)

navstar29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210 navstar29
Member since 2004 • 4036 Posts
GOOD JOB man! just a heads up ... i believe the 160 GB is going to be 499, not 399, probably just hit the wrong keys or something.
abdelmessih101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211 abdelmessih101

very interesting. i vote sticky.. why isnt it stickied yet anyway?Blue_Panda

It is stickied ... well, sort of. It's the firt link in duxup's stickied thread. So, the sticky directs you here.

I have a question/addition suggestion.

My question is: Does the PS3 support the use of a Keyboard? Just a standard USB keyboard?

What could be added FAQ is: What peripherals are available/should I get for the PS3? Answer....?

I know a driving wheel and remote control are available and I think a camera... what else is available / do I need? Maybe just a link to someplace... More kudos for you on this thread... lots of good information for the PS3 n00b aka me ;)

SleepyByte

It was in there even before this update, under miscellaneous:

"What accessories are the PS3 compatible with?

The PS3 is compatible with Bluetooth headsets, USB keyboards and mice as well as other USB devices, 2.5" SATA hard drives (used for laptops as well)."

I'm sure someone has asked this/answered this: Should I get a cooler for my PS3? Are they effective? Which one's a good one, or what should I look for? I don't want a loud one, if there is such a thing.

jwals9

Best to leave it as is and give it plenty of space.

Hi. I would like to ask if I can use 2 TVs for my PS3 while playing GT5. Which means 1 TV for each player if there're 2 players.gliliumho

No, you'd need 2 PS3s and 2 games. Or just get a bigger TV.

Hi everyone, I'm a TOTAL newbie when it comes to the PS3 and I need some help. I'm very sorry if this question has been asked before or if any of you think that I'm stupid but I do need a friendly answer asap.

Yesterday I bought a pre-owned PS3 60GB. The problem is that there was no instruction manual with it. I've got it up and running and it plays my PS2 & PS1 games fine....well the ones that I've tried anyway. My problem is this - how do I save my progress? I realise that the PS3 has got an internal memory but it only seems to be for PS3 games. What am I missing?, do I need to buy some sort of accessory to enable me to save PS2 & PS1 game progress? If I can't save my progress then what is the point of backwards compatibility!!!

I dare say that the answer to my question is staring me in the face but please can someone point me in the right direction :) before I go insane and beat myself up for spending so much money.

babstheyaris

Go to Game :arrow: Memory Card Utility (PS/PS2) :arrow: Create New Internal Memory Card, and make one for the PS1 and the one for the PS2. Then, assign one internal memory card to slot 1 and the other to slot 2. You can do this by pressing triangle on the memory card and going to Assign Slots from the main XMB or even during gameplay. Then you should be all set to save away.

Also, if you fill up the space, just make another internal memory card - you'll just need to reassign the specific memory card you want to either slot 1 or slot 2 to actually save and load data from it.

abdelmessih101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 abdelmessih101

GOOD JOB man! just a heads up ... i believe the 160 GB is going to be 499, not 399, probably just hit the wrong keys or something.navstar29

Whoops sorry - thanks for pointing that out. :)

Also, for future reference, if you have a question and post it here, I'm not always on the PS3 forum to see it. So, if your question goes unanswered for a day or two, feel free to PM the question to me and I'll try my best to answer it. :)

To those of you who posted questions a while ago and still haven't figured out the answer yet, let me know if you still need help in a PM. I'm sorry, but I have some homework to do and I won't have time to answer it today, but I'll get to it eventually.

If you need a faster answer, and if all else has failed, make a thread on the PS3 board asking your question and I'm sure someone will help. But please use that option only as a last resort.

I made this thread to decrease the number of people asking simple questions about the PS3, so please try to show your appreciation by refraining from flooding the board with questions - try doing your own research instead.

Thanks for understanding. :)

abdelmessih101

I lied about the bolded part - I already answered them above. :)

StealthKnife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 StealthKnife
Member since 2008 • 2104 Posts
nice how long did it take to make this thread? lagreendown
copy paste, edit a bit....
abdelmessih101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214 abdelmessih101

[QUOTE="lagreendown"]nice how long did it take to make this thread? StealthKnife

copy paste, edit a bit....

Despite what you might think, a lot of it is completely original typing. In fact, only the Folding@home section was copied and pasted so I typed most of this based on my research so it did take a long time.

Besides, WTF are you doing answering a question directed at someone else - a question I've already answered earlier at that??? :evil: Please don't do that again.

thelastguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 thelastguy
Member since 2007 • 12030 Posts
Great thread abdel :D
abdelmessih101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216 abdelmessih101

Great thread abdel :Dthelastguy

Thanks!

abdelmessih101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217 abdelmessih101
Resistance 2 has been updated on Metacritic to AAA (91) after 5 critic reviews. We'll see how that changes after some more reviews start pouring out.
abdelmessih101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 abdelmessih101

Latest Update [November 2nd, 2008]:

I added Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Motorstorm, Motorstorm: Pacific Rift to the list of notable PS3 exclusives - I knew there were a few games missing from that list. :P

abdelmessih101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219 abdelmessih101

Latest Update [November 3rd, 2008]:

Added some exclusive games to the list and ordered it according to Metascore. Showed Metascore and GS Score next to game title. Added a section about PS3 and PSP interactivity.

abdelmessih101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 abdelmessih101

Latest Update (November 6th):

Resistance 2 reviewed by GS (9.0), and Metascore changed from 90 to 89.

PSP_DSL_ROX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#221 PSP_DSL_ROX
Member since 2007 • 512 Posts

Hopefully this is the correct to post, if not just let me know.

I just got my PS3 and I signed up on the PSN. I wanted to try some of the game demos before buying some games. But, after selecting 14 demos and attempting to download them all, I soon realized the process is a very time consuming one. So, my question is, is there anyway to download these without leaving the screen up? I sat there and kept doing different things for a while so that the image wouldn't burn into my Plasma, but when I noticed the first game was only 2% done, I decided it would take too long, paused all the downloads and turned it off. Would it be bad to leave the games downloading and just have the PS3 on, not the TV? Again, I'm new at this and just want to make sure I'm doing everything okay.

Also, I will be getting a new entertainment unit for my PS3 and unlike my current setup that is very open, this will actually have opening where the playstation can sit. I believe the back will be open for cords and such, and the front can be opened by opening the door. However, I'm a little concerned about the system overheating, since I've read alot about the important of keeping the system so that it has plenty of room to "breathe" if I turn off the main power switch when not in use and took it out of the media center when it is in use, would that be okay? Or, is turning of the main power switch a bad thing to use that often?

Thanks so much!

abdelmessih101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 abdelmessih101

I just got my PS3 and I signed up on the PSN. I wanted to try some of the game demos before buying some games. But, after selecting 14 demos and attempting to download them all, I soon realized the process is a very time consuming one. So, my question is, is there anyway to download these without leaving the screen up? I sat there and kept doing different things for a while so that the image wouldn't burn into my Plasma, but when I noticed the first game was only 2% done, I decided it would take too long, paused all the downloads and turned it off. Would it be bad to leave the games downloading and just have the PS3 on, not the TV? Again, I'm new at this and just want to make sure I'm doing everything okay.

I leave my PS3 on downloading demos when my TV is off all the time - nothing bad will happen. In fact, there are some people that literally leave their PS3s on all the time while running the Folding@home program who have yet to experience problems. Not that I recommend doing that, but the PS3 can be on for extensive periods (all day or all night or both even) without having a problem.

Also, I will be getting a new entertainment unit for my PS3 and unlike my current setup that is very open, this will actually have opening where the playstation can sit. I believe the back will be open for cords and such, and the front can be opened by opening the door. However, I'm a little concerned about the system overheating, since I've read alot about the important of keeping the system so that it has plenty of room to "breathe" if I turn off the main power switch when not in use and took it out of the media center when it is in use, would that be okay? Or, is turning of the main power switch a bad thing to use that often?

I read that it's best to leave the PS3 in standby mode when it is in use on a regular basis. I read that turning it off from the main power switch and/or unplugging it often is bad because the large amount of electricity used to turn it on/off that way is more likely to result in the system short-circuiting than just leaving it in standby mode (with the red light on).

Ever since then, I've only really shut off my PS3 in order to move it from one place to another, or when I'm on vacation, and it's been fine. I would keep the door open while the PS3 was on though in order to give the warm air room to circulate, but it cools down as soon as it gets to standby mode, so you don't have to worry about it overheating when you're not playing it.

Thanks so much!

PSP_DSL_ROX

I've got the original 60GB PS3 which has been out of production for a long time now, and I would be devastated if anything happened to it since my PS2 is broken and I still play plenty of my PS2 games on it. If Sony had to send me a brand new PS3 if mine ever broke, I would be really pissed. Therefore, I've tried my best to make sure nothing happens to my PS3, and I follow all the advice I've given you above. I don't want to jynx anything, but so far, after owning my PS3 for all almost 3 years, I haven't had any type of problems beyond the occasional freeze here and there (maybe about 5 times altogether).

PSP_DSL_ROX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 PSP_DSL_ROX
[QUOTE="PSP_DSL_ROX"]

I leave my PS3 on downloading demos when my TV is off all the time - nothing bad will happen. In fact, there are some people that literally leave their PS3s on all the time while running the Folding@home program who have yet to experience problems. Not that I recommend doing that, but the PS3 can be on for extensive periods (all day or all night or both even) without having a problem.

I read that it's best to leave the PS3 in standby mode when it is in use on a regular basis. I read that turning it off from the main power switch and/or unplugging it often is bad because the large amount of electricity used to turn it on/off that way is more likely to result in the system short-circuiting than just leaving it in standby mode (with the red light on).

Ever since then, I've only really shut off my PS3 in order to move it from one place to another, or when I'm on vacation, and it's been fine. I would keep the door open while the PS3 was on though in order to give the warm air room to circulate, but it cools down as soon as it gets to standby mode, so you don't have to worry about it overheating when you're not playing it.

Thanks so much!

abdelmessih101

I've got the original 60GB PS3 which has been out of production for a long time now, and I would be devastated if anything happened to it since my PS2 is broken and I still play plenty of my PS2 games on it. If Sony had to send me a brand new PS3 if mine ever broke, I would be really pissed. Therefore, I've tried my best to make sure nothing happens to my PS3, and I follow all the advice I've given you above. I don't want to jynx anything, but so far, after owning my PS3 for all almost 3 years, I haven't had any type of problems beyond the occasional freeze here and there (maybe about 5 times altogether).

Thanks so much for your reply. It was a huge help. I will leave my PS3 on today and get the games downloaded and next time I may try to download a fewer number at a time. I wasn't thinking and got excited and started adding all of them to my cart :-D

Thanks for the info about overheating. I wasn't sure if using the main power switch could cause problems or not, so I wanted to double check. I'm just trying to make sure I do everything right. The new media center was purchased before I ultimately decided to get a PS3, so I wasn't really prepared for it. I also thought that the vents would be more in the back than on the side, so I thought I would be okay after I decided I would get one. But, hopefully everything will be okay.

I know exactly what you mean about keeping the systems running as long as possible. There are always newer systems out there, but sometimes you just want to play the games you have enjyoed for a long time. I know everytime the slightest thing isn't perfect on my Wii I have a mini-heart attack, so I'm sure it will be the same way with this. I will follow all the advice I've read and hopefully everything will be okay.

Thanks again!

abdelmessih101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 abdelmessih101
[QUOTE="abdelmessih101"][QUOTE="PSP_DSL_ROX"]

Thanks so much!

PSP_DSL_ROX

Thanks so much for your reply. It was a huge help. I will leave my PS3 on today and get the games downloaded and next time I may try to download a fewer number at a time. I wasn't thinking and got excited and started adding all of them to my cart :-D

Thanks for the info about overheating. I wasn't sure if using the main power switch could cause problems or not, so I wanted to double check. I'm just trying to make sure I do everything right. The new media center was purchased before I ultimately decided to get a PS3, so I wasn't really prepared for it. I also thought that the vents would be more in the back than on the side, so I thought I would be okay after I decided I would get one. But, hopefully everything will be okay.

I know exactly what you mean about keeping the systems running as long as possible. There are always newer systems out there, but sometimes you just want to play the games you have enjyoed for a long time. I know everytime the slightest thing isn't perfect on my Wii I have a mini-heart attack, so I'm sure it will be the same way with this. I will follow all the advice I've read and hopefully everything will be okay.

Thanks again!

Also, standing your PS3 vertically would help keep it more ventilated than the horizontal position, so that's something you might want to consider if your media center allows for it. Congrats on all your new purchases by the way. :D

PSP_DSL_ROX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225 PSP_DSL_ROX
[QUOTE="PSP_DSL_ROX"][QUOTE="abdelmessih101"][QUOTE="PSP_DSL_ROX"]

abdelmessih101

Also, standing your PS3 vertically would help keep it more ventilated than the horizontal position, so that's something you might want to consider if your media center allows for it. Congrats on all your new purchases by the way. :D

Normally that is what I would do, but unfortunately the media center is just designed for a DVD player, so it will be wide enough, but it isn't all that tall. If my cables allow for it, I may try to take it out of the center and stand it up while it is actually in use.

Thanks again!

abdelmessih101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 abdelmessih101

[QUOTE="abdelmessih101"]

PSP_DSL_ROX

Normally that is what I would do, but unfortunately the media center is just designed for a DVD player, so it will be wide enough, but it isn't all that tall. If my cables allow for it, I may try to take it out of the center and stand it up while it is actually in use.

Thanks again!

No problem - glad to help! :)

abdelmessih101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 abdelmessih101

Latest Update [November 30th, 2008]:

Added Valkyria Chronicles to the list of PS3 exclusives, and moved Resistance according to the adjusted Metascore of 86.

missstarm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 missstarm
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

HELP!

I just bought a PS3 and am by NO MEANS an experienced gamer. In fact, this is all very VERY new to me.

I have a quick question about downloading "game data" from messages that my friends have sent me.

For example, in Little Big Planet you are able to capture pictures and send it to your HDD. You also have the option of sending the picture to your friends. I have been sent a LBP picture from a friend and I can see this in my messages. BUT I can't seem to download/open/save the picture to MY HDD.

Does anyone know how to do that? Help, please!

mbartole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 mbartole
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

I am going to be buying a PS3. Very novice Gamer. If I were to purchase a 60 Gig off eBay, should I purchase a 'used' or 'refurbished'?
I'm thinking of the 60 Gig because of bckwrds compat, but don't have an PS2 games, I'm thinking having the 60 gig opens up more variety in games from PS2.
My main reason for going with PS3 is mainly the Blu-Ray.

TIA

abdelmessih101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 abdelmessih101

HELP!

I just bought a PS3 and am by NO MEANS an experienced gamer. In fact, this is all very VERY new to me.

I have a quick question about downloading "game data" from messages that my friends have sent me.

For example, in Little Big Planet you are able to capture pictures and send it to your HDD. You also have the option of sending the picture to your friends. I have been sent a LBP picture from a friend and I can see this in my messages. BUT I can't seem to download/open/save the picture to MY HDD.

Does anyone know how to do that? Help, please!

missstarm

The message should have a paperclip on it if there is something attached. When you open the message, there should be some space for text, and then a rectangle under it with a paperclip if something has been attached. Click on that to download the picture.

I am going to be buying a PS3. Very novice Gamer. If I were to purchase a 60 Gig off eBay, should I purchase a 'used' or 'refurbished'?
I'm thinking of the 60 Gig because of bckwrds compat, but don't have an PS2 games, I'm thinking having the 60 gig opens up more variety in games from PS2.
My main reason for going with PS3 is mainly the Blu-Ray.

TIA

mbartole

It's your call. Refurbished means that the PS3 was broken, and sent back to be fixed by Sony, while used PS3s are ones that were never broken. I have no clue which would be more reliable so I would choose either based on price or based on the reputation of the seller that you're looking to buy from.

PolskaKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231 PolskaKing
Member since 2008 • 39592 Posts
For upgrading the hard drive on the PS3. instead of using a internal hard drive. Could I use a external hard drive through the USB Drive and be able to save on there?
shani_boy101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232 shani_boy101
Member since 2006 • 5423 Posts

The new 80GB PS3 definitely has PSone backwards compatibility. i played Crash Bandicoot 2 this morning. nice FAQ btw.

abdelmessih101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233 abdelmessih101
For upgrading the hard drive on the PS3. instead of using a internal hard drive. Could I use a external hard drive through the USB Drive and be able to save on there?PolskaKing
You can use an external hard drive. I added it in to the FAQ.

The new 80GB PS3 definitely has PSone backwards compatibility. i played Crash Bandicoot 2 this morning. nice FAQ btw.

shani_boy101
Thanks for the confirmation. Latest Update [May 17th, 2009]: Added MLB 09: The Show and Flower to the list of PS3 exclusive with their review scores. Adjusted the order and scores of games whose Metascores have changed since the last update. These include: Resistance 2, Motorstorm: Pacific RIft, SOCOM, and Valkyria Chronicles. Scores added for Killzone 2. Fixed several lingering grammar errors and improved wording in several sections. (yes, I'm crazy about those things lol)
abdelmessih101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234 abdelmessih101

Latest Update [May 17th, 2009]:

Added the review scores for inFAMOUS from both Gamespot and Metacritic

abdelmessih101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235 abdelmessih101

Latest Update [August 18th, 2009]:

Added info on the new PS3 SLIM
Added "Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time" and "The Last Guardian" to PS3 exclusives list
Added link to list of ALL PS3 games on Wikipedia

abdelmessih101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236 abdelmessih101

Latest Update [10-06-2009]:

Added Uncharted 2: Among Thieves and Demon's Souls to the notable exclusive games list

Uncharted 2 is the highest rated exclusive gameon Metacritic!! Just 1 point below the GTAIV Metascore!!

abdelmessih101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237 abdelmessih101
Latest Update [10/07/2009]: GS review of Uncharted 2 comes in at 9.5!!!
abdelmessih101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238 abdelmessih101
Latest Update [10/07/2009]: GS review of Uncharted 2 comes in at 9.5!!!abdelmessih101
Also added Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 and Fat Princess
yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#239 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Very nice list. The biggest travesty though is seeing that big ol' 7.5 next to Ratchet and Clank when the average score is 89. Lame. So very lame.

abdelmessih101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240 abdelmessih101

Latest Update [10/27/2009]:

GS review of Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time comes in at 8.5 ... Metascore at 87 so far.

Uncharted 2 Metascore drops from 97 to 96.

Warriorboy1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#241 Warriorboy1990
Member since 2008 • 3813 Posts

You can put Quantum Theory and Heavy Rain in the exclusives.

nomadnp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242 nomadnp
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Awesome post, really great read. I personally just started actually using my PS3 after a long affair with FFXI. Now I'm getting caught up on what I should have been doing for years.
Sandpiper121PP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#243 Sandpiper121PP
Member since 2006 • 2432 Posts

I am getting ready to puchase my very first PS3 (250 GB Version) and have been hearing some things... so I read thru the thread but need some more clarifications on a couple of things. First of all... do you in fact have to connect to the PSN in order to play games with it? With the recent problem with the servers I am now questioning that. Also... I know that some of the games give you trophies for completing certain tasks. If you are (not connected to the network) and are still able to play... will it update those for you once you do get re-connected? Finally, I have also heard that you do need to be connected in order to see any and all trophies you have gotten in any games. Thank You in advance for any and all help with these questions.

ExoticAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244 ExoticAnimal
Member since 2010 • 39796 Posts

I am getting ready to puchase my very first PS3 (250 GB Version) and have been hearing some things... so I read thru the thread but need some more clarifications on a couple of things. First of all... do you in fact have to connect to the PSN in order to play games with it? With the recent problem with the servers I am now questioning that. Also... I know that some of the games give you trophies for completing certain tasks. If you are (not connected to the network) and are still able to play... will it update those for you once you do get re-connected? Finally, I have also heard that you do need to be connected in order to see any and all trophies you have gotten in any games. Thank You in advance for any and all help with these questions.

Sandpiper121PP
Hey there Sand! I'll try to help explain your questions to the best of my abilities. 1. You do not have to connect to the PSN in order to play games with it. I do it all the time because I switch ethernet cables because I don't have a router. The problem that you are talking about with the server is a one time thing where somehow it made the games unplayable. 2. You can earn trophies while not connected online. Once you are connected, you can sync your trophies and they will be uploaded to sony's servers. 3. You do not need to be connected to see all the trophies that you have collected. Thing is that if you want to compare trophies between a friend, then you must be connected online. Hope this helped answer your questions.
Sandpiper121PP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245 Sandpiper121PP

Thank You so very much for the information. I will probably be getting it this week (if the local Gamestop gets any in???) I really am looking forward to alot of the exclusives on it and everything else it has to offer. :)

ExoticAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246 ExoticAnimal

Thank You so very much for the information. I will probably be getting it this week (if the local Gamestop gets any in???) I really am looking forward to alot of the exclusives on it and everything else it has to offer. :)

Sandpiper121PP
No problem. I heard that gamestop only receives 2 or 3 ps3 per week, so they might not have it, just a bit of warning for you. What games do you plan on getting?
Sandpiper121PP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247 Sandpiper121PP

Thank you for the heads up on the Gamestop thing. I know everyone at the one where I shop and they also told me the same thing. They currently are not allowed to take orders for them but told me that nobody has (as of 3 days ago when back ordering was stopped) had ordered a 250 GB version. So I pretty much have one if it shows up because I am a regular customer there and they take very good care of me. :)

As for games I will be getting. I for sure am going to get the following to start...

Heavy Rain

Little Big Planet

Uncharted 2

Any other recommendations would be greatly appriciated. Note I do have (the other two main consoles on the market) so I pretty much only need to get exclusives at this time. :)

ExoticAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248 ExoticAnimal

Thank you for the heads up on the Gamestop thing. I know everyone at the one where I shop and they also told me the same thing. They currently are not allowed to take orders for them but told me that nobody has (as of 3 days ago when back ordering was stopped) had ordered a 250 GB version. So I pretty much have one if it shows up because I am a regular customer there and they take very good care of me. :)

As for games I will be getting. I for sure am going to get the following to start...

Heavy Rain

Little Big Planet

Uncharted 2

Any other recommendations would be greatly appriciated. Note I do have (the other two main consoles on the market) so I pretty much only need to get exclusives at this time. :)

Sandpiper121PP
Awesome. Hope you get it without any problems. Good list so far. I personally haven't played LittleBigPlanet or Heavy Rain but heard great things about both. Uncharted 2 is a must, but if you get the chance, pick up the 1st game as its a solid title. Some other games I can recommend are Ratchet & Clank series which are great fun games to play. Another game that is amazing is Metal Gear Solid 4. Killzone 2 is another very good game but don't fall for the hype expecting it to be a great game. Demon Souls is an amazing game from what I hear. Valkyria Chronicles is one of the best games on ps3 despite it being underrated. If you like baseball, and want the best mlb game, get mlb 10: the show. Infamous is pretty good too. Sorry for listing a lot of games but these games must be played at some point in the future. Hope this helped.
Sandpiper121PP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249 Sandpiper121PP

Thank you for all of the recommendations! I will make a list of them and then work on it from there. Kinda sad that there isn't a PS3 (of any kind/size) for sale within over 100 miles of my place currently. I will be patient and they will be here soon... I am so ready to play Heavy Rain for sure! :)

ExoticAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250 ExoticAnimal

Thank you for all of the recommendations! I will make a list of them and then work on it from there. Kinda sad that there isn't a PS3 (of any kind/size) for sale within over 100 miles of my place currently. I will be patient and they will be here soon... I am so ready to play Heavy Rain for sure! :)

Sandpiper121PP
Where do you live? Can't you just order online and have them ship it to you? Well, I hope you have fun with your ps3 as its a great system with some amazing games.