Official PS3 FAQ Thread (Last Update: 9/5/2011) [console price drop update]

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mechworrior762

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#151 mechworrior762
Member since 2007 • 1763 Posts
Why was this unstickeyed?
abdelmessih101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#152 abdelmessih101
Member since 2007 • 5230 Posts

Why was this unstickeyed?mechworrior762

It wasn't "completely" unstickied ... it's now linked in duxup's stickied thread to save space on the PS3 board

abdelmessih101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153 abdelmessih101

Just so you guys know:

As I have already mentioned, my PS3 FAQ Thread would not remain its own sticky forever. Now, it has been unstickied and linked in duxup's stickied thread so it's still easy to find. I will also keep it linked in my sig and place a link to it in my blog header for your convenience

Avatar image for deactivated-6075a5c511e8b
deactivated-6075a5c511e8b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#154 deactivated-6075a5c511e8b
Member since 2005 • 7222 Posts

Just so you guys know:

As I have already mentioned, my PS3 FAQ Thread would not remain its own sticky forever. Now, it has been unstickied and linked in duxup's stickied thread so it's still easy to find. I will also keep it linked in my sig and place a link to it in my blog header for your convenience

abdelmessih101

Ok, I'll still help :D.

bhuwanroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 bhuwanroy
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Hi,

First of all, this is a great thread.

It answered a lot of questions I had on the PS3.

However, I am a bit confused and would appreciate some advice on the following - I live in the United Kingdom. A friend of mine is travelling to the USA in a few days time and I was wondering if I can get him to buy me a PS3 in the US.

The doubts that I have are :

1. Will a PS3 bought in the USA work in the UK? - I know that there are differrent formats like PAL and NTSC but I am not sure wether they apply for the PS3 as well.

2. If I do manage to get a PS3 from the US, will I be able to play PS3 games bought in the UK - I read about the reverse (i.e PS3 games made in the US that can be played on a PS3 bought in the UK) in an earlier post, but I would like to know if the opposite is possible.

3 In the same way, will the US PS3 also play BluRay DVDs from the UK?

4 Finally , which version (20 gb,40gb etc) should I get? Are the versions with higher hard disc capacities worth the money?

The main reason for all this is that as far as I know, the prices are almoat equivalent in the US and UK i.e,

if the PS3 costs about $400 in the US , it usually costs around £400 in the UK; and the current exchange rate is almost 2 dollars to the pound, which means that I will be saving a good deal of money.

Thank you

abdelmessih101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 abdelmessih101

Hi,

However, I am a bit confused and would appreciate some advice on the following - I live in the United Kingdom. A friend of mine is travelling to the USA in a few days time and I was wondering if I can get him to buy me a PS3 in the US.

1. Will a PS3 bought in the USA work in the UK? - I know that there are differrent formats like PAL and NTSC but I am not sure wether they apply for the PS3 as well.

2. If I do manage to get a PS3 from the US, will I be able to play PS3 games bought in the UK - I read about the reverse (i.e PS3 games made in the US that can be played on a PS3 bought in the UK) in an earlier post, but I would like to know if the opposite is possible.

4 Finally , which version (20 gb,40gb etc) should I get? Are the versions with higher hard disc capacities worth the money?

The main reason for all this is that as far as I know, the prices are almoat equivalent in the US and UK i.e,

if the PS3 costs about $400 in the US , it usually costs around £400 in the UK; and the current exchange rate is almost 2 dollars to the pound, which means that I will be saving a good deal of money.

Thank you

bhuwanroy

Thanks for the comments.

As far as PS3 games go, the PS3 is region-free, meaning any PS3 made anywhere will play any PS3 games made anywhere. I don't know that this is the same for Blu-Ray movies (hopefully someone else can answer that question for you), but you can always just buy US Blu-Ray movies online if it turns out that Blu-Ray movies are region-locked (the opposite of region-free).

For which version you want, read up on the section of this FAQ that tells you the differences between the 4 different versions. The 20GB, 60GB, (and I think the 80GB too) have all been discontinued, so you'll have a hard time finding them in stores and will have a better chance to get them if you look online. Anyway, pick the version which has the features you're looking for.

As far as the hard drive space, anything at 20GB+ should be enough if you manage your space correctly, but you can always upgrade the internal HDD or add an external HDD. I put a link to the Gamespot tutorial on how to upgrade the HDD somewhere in the FAQ - I guess you'll have to look for it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 deactivated-6075a5c511e8b
[QUOTE="bhuwanroy"]

Hi,

Thank you

abdelmessih101

Thanks for the comments.

As far as PS3 games go, the PS3 is region-free, meaning any PS3 made anywhere will play any PS3 games made anywhere. I don't know that this is the same for Blu-Ray movies (hopefully someone else can answer that question for you), but you can always just buy US Blu-Ray movies online if it turns out that Blu-Ray movies are region-locked (the opposite of region-free).

For which version you want, read up on the section of this FAQ that tells you the differences between the 4 different versions. The 20GB, 60GB, (and I think the 80GB too) have all been discontinued, so you'll have a hard time finding them in stores and will have a better chance to get them if you look online. Anyway, pick the version which has the features you're looking for.

As far as the hard drive space, anything at 20GB+ should be enough if you manage your space correctly, but you can always upgrade the internal HDD or add an external HDD. I put a link to the Gamespot tutorial on how to upgrade the HDD somewhere in the FAQ - I guess you'll have to look for it.

Yep. Blu-ray movies are region-locked, so are PS1 and PS2 games and DVDs. You should get the 60GB (the one I have :P).

bhuwanroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 bhuwanroy

That's great.

So, as far as I understand , I can get the PS3 from the US (preferably the 60gb one if they are still being sold) and I can use this to play PS3 games from anywhere in the world.

But, I cannot play all DVDs/BluRay discs or PS2 games - am I correct so far?

Thanks

abdelmessih101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 abdelmessih101

That's great.

So, as far as I understand , I can get the PS3 from the US (preferably the 60gb one if they are still being sold) and I can use this to play PS3 games from anywhere in the world.

Thanks

bhuwanroy

Yes. that's right. If you bought a US PS3, you would have to import all the PS2 games, DVDs, and Blu-Rays that you wanted from the US. Sadly, the 60GB has been discontinued, so you'd have to go online to get one ... but you may have some luck trying to get a used 60GB PS3 at the store.

bhuwanroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 bhuwanroy

Well, looks like I got my answers.

It was a long shot anyway.

I think I'll just buy the PS3 here in the UK anyway, so that I can make use of all its functions.

I guess I'll have to wait/save up for a few more months, but from what I've heard and read abt the PS3, it will probably be worth the wait

Once again, thanks for all the help.(I never expected to get answers this fast!!!!!)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 deactivated-6075a5c511e8b

That's great.

Thanks

bhuwanroy

Yep.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 deactivated-6075a5c511e8b

Well, looks like I got my answers.

It was a long shot anyway.

I think I'll just buy the PS3 here in the UK anyway, so that I can make use of all its functions.

I guess I'll have to wait/save up for a few more months, but from what I've heard and read abt the PS3, it will probably be worth the wait

Once again, thanks for all the help.(I never expected to get answers this fast!!!!!)

bhuwanroy

No prob dude. That's what we are here for :D.

watchgrief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 watchgrief
Member since 2008 • 53 Posts

alot of research in here, thanks!

Watch Pure Grief Videos - http://www.watchgrief.com

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 deactivated-6075a5c511e8b

alot of research in here, thanks!

Watch Pure Grief Videos - http://www.watchgrief.com

watchgrief

No prob. The TC did most/all of it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 deactivated-6075a5c511e8b
Its very quiet.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 deactivated-6075a5c511e8b

Its very quiet.theycallmeryan

No questions? Me and abdel can answer them.

ss5vegetunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 ss5vegetunks
Member since 2007 • 35 Posts

I have a really important question, does it effect your PS3( I have a 40Gb PS3) on how you put your PS3, horizontal or vertical, I keep it horizontal but now that I got a new entertainment system, I want to keep it vertical, is it gonna effect my PS3? thanks !

trav_have

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 1

#168 trav_have
Member since 2004 • 5712 Posts

I have a really important question, does it effect your PS3( I have a 40Gb PS3) on how you put your PS3, horizontal or vertical, I keep it horizontal but now that I got a new entertainment system, I want to keep it vertical, is it gonna effect my PS3? thanks !

ss5vegetunks

Nope..unless theres more room one way, but as long as there's ventilation getting in it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 deactivated-6075a5c511e8b

ss5vegetunks

It shouldn't. If it does just send it back to Sony.

chief_527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 chief_527
Member since 2003 • 1121 Posts

Ok, Im having a hell of time trying to find a guide to install the YDL 5.0 on the PS3. If anybody here has a link or vid, I would GREATLY appriciated......

Also, Once I downloaded to my PC do I need any special software to burn it to a DVD.....

DealRogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#171 DealRogers
Member since 2005 • 4589 Posts

WTF HAHA NICE

chief_527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 chief_527
Member since 2003 • 1121 Posts

Ok, Im having a hell of time trying to find a guide to install the YDL 5.0 on the PS3. If anybody here has a link or vid, I would GREATLY appriciated......

Also, Once I downloaded to my PC do I need any special software to burn it to a DVD.....

chief_527

Nevermind. Got it!!!

ss5vegetunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 ss5vegetunks

I bought a 40Gb PS3, and did I make a right choice, because I went to buy the 80GB PS3, but best buy didnt have any 80Gb

ps3's, so did i make the right choice, and is the 40gbb still as powerful and next gen as the 80gb ps3???

abdelmessih101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 abdelmessih101

I bought a 40Gb PS3, and did I make a right choice, because I went to buy the 80GB PS3, but best buy didnt have any 80Gb

ps3's, so did i make the right choice, and is the 40gbb still as powerful and next gen as the 80gb ps3???

ss5vegetunks

There are absolutely no differences other than what I've discussed in this thread.

madsmokey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 madsmokey
Member since 2004 • 258 Posts

Nice Job with this.king23_

Wow..... for some really wierd reason... this faq finally conveinced me to the the folding home thing...

abdelmessih101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 abdelmessih101

[QUOTE="king23_"]Nice Job with this.madsmokey

Wow..... for some really wierd reason... this faq finally conveinced me to the the folding home thing...

Great :)

filiwian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#177 filiwian
Member since 2007 • 2232 Posts
Nice, thanks for posting this up.
ss5vegetunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 ss5vegetunks
ok i know what floding home is and what it does, but what is it all about, i wanna try it so i can help out, but i m not sure if i should, does something happen to ur ps3, does it cost money? thnx!
abdelmessih101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 abdelmessih101
ok i know what floding home is and what it does, but what is it all about, i wanna try it so i can help out, but i m not sure if i should, does something happen to ur ps3, does it cost money? thnx!ss5vegetunks
You just download the program, install it, and run it - that's all. You can listen to the music on your hard drive while folding, and you can just leave your PS3 on (and shut your TV off) overnight or if you're away from your PS3. It doesn't take up as much energy as playing a game on the PS3, so it won't cost very much at all in terms of electricity. Otherwise, it's completely free.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 deactivated-6075a5c511e8b

[QUOTE="ss5vegetunks"]ok i know what floding home is and what it does, but what is it all about, i wanna try it so i can help out, but i m not sure if i should, does something happen to ur ps3, does it cost money? thnx!abdelmessih101
You just download the program, install it, and run it - that's all. You can listen to the music on your hard drive while folding, and you can just leave your PS3 on (and shut your TV off) overnight or if you're away from your PS3. It doesn't take up as much energy as playing a game on the PS3, so it won't cost very much at all in terms of electricity. Otherwise, it's completely free.

Yep :D.

ss5vegetunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 ss5vegetunks

thanks!!

onyxegg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 onyxegg
I havent bought the PS3 yet, but probly going to get it soon as Gtprologue is out. Could someone give me a 'layman lowdown' on how to get the PS3 hooked up and ready for online gaming plz. What other hardware and what broadband speed do i need?Iv never done online gaming before so just a bit worried about paying for fast broadband and geting all confused by the technologeeee
anewperfectday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#183 anewperfectday
Member since 2006 • 782 Posts
Wow! Nice thread! I can't believe I read all of it! Great work!
abdelmessih101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 abdelmessih101

I havent bought the PS3 yet, but probly going to get it soon as Gtprologue is out. Could someone give me a 'layman lowdown' on how to get the PS3 hooked up and ready for online gaming plz. What other hardware and what broadband speed do i need?Iv never done online gaming before so just a bit worried about paying for fast broadband and geting all confused by the technologeeee onyxegg

The PS3 part is very easy, but the rest depends on your specific ISP, router and home network (if you're going to connect wirelessly). It would just be easier to help you with your specific situation rather than giving you a general guideline which may or may not work all of the time. So, when you get your PS3 and have problems getting online, then come back and I (or someone else) can help you out.

Wow! Nice thread! I can't believe I read all of it! Great work!anewperfectday
Thanks! :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 deactivated-6075a5c511e8b

Wow! Nice thread! I can't believe I read all of it! Great work!anewperfectday

Thanks :D. Abdel made the OP but me and him answer questions :D.

_AbBaNdOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#186 _AbBaNdOn
Member since 2005 • 6518 Posts

What is the sound quality of dvd's/blu-ray's on ps3?? When I watch dvd's on my ps2 I have to crank up the volume which is just annoying. I play games and hear them fine on 10-12 of my stereo and yet dvd's have to be played on 20-22 just to hear them. So does PS3 have that same problem with dvd's and blue-rays ?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 deactivated-6075a5c511e8b

What is the sound quality of dvd's/blu-ray's on ps3?? When I watch dvd's on my ps2 I have to crank up the volume which is just annoying. I play games and hear them fine on 10-12 of my stereo and yet dvd's have to be played on 20-22 just to hear them. So does PS3 have that same problem with dvd's and blue-rays ?

_AbBaNdOn

I don't think so.

hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 hazelnutman
Member since 2007 • 9688 Posts

they just unstickied this!

They should have combined some stickies together and kept this one :(

abdelmessih101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 abdelmessih101

they just unstickied this!

They should have combined some stickies together and kept this one :(

hazelnutman

Well, they've put a link to this thread in duxup's stickied thread, so it's still easy to find.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#190 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts
anyone know what upnp is on the network set up? everytime its not available, i can't play cod4...
monkeyd_93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#191 monkeyd_93
Member since 2007 • 6848 Posts
thanks for the quick guide. is there any word of the 80GB bundle coming to Australia? at the moment all we have is GT5 40GB bundle and soon to be GTAIV 40GB bundle and i wanted to know if we will get the MGS4 one or similar. i cant believe we pay an extra $300 for the 40GB, so my guess the 80GB will be around the $800 price tag
Pliskinsonus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 Pliskinsonus
Member since 2008 • 69 Posts
I would greatly appreciate if you could keep an eye out for word on the technical specs for the June PS3 release. I have a really bad feeling that I'm gunna get shafted soon after I buy it. Tell me here or in a message if you have seen any proof that the re-release of the 80gb model will include the 45nm cell chip or when this might happen. Sony won't reply to my inquiry and I can't afford to be devastated come next month. God I wish they would be more open to just answering yes or no. They would get so much more business that way.
ddashboy242

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 ddashboy242
Member since 2007 • 1257 Posts
Nice thread budd
abdelmessih101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 abdelmessih101

anyone know what upnp is on the network set up? everytime its not available, i can't play cod4...jsmoke03

I have no idea, but this guy does. He wrote a guide on how to fix problems with UPnP (Universal Plug and Play).

Nice thread buddddashboy242

Thanks.

DarkStar4565

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 DarkStar4565
Member since 2007 • 293 Posts
umm. Are the ps3 games region coded? Or can i play imported games?
abdelmessih101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 abdelmessih101

umm. Are the ps3 games region coded? Or can i play imported games?DarkStar4565

No, PS3 games are not region coded. but Blu-Rays, DVDs, PS2 and PS1 games are.

DarkStar4565

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 DarkStar4565
Member since 2007 • 293 Posts
Thanx! And nice thread.
ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts
I don't know if this was answered somewhere else in the forum, but is there a way to transfer PS2 saves from the PS2 memory card to a PC and then from the PC to the PS3? I know about the memory card adapter already but I am picking up the PS3 that comes with MGS4 on June 12. I am trading in my PS2, both of my controllers, and my memory card towards it but I want to keep my PS2 saves. The memory card is the difference between getting $35 for my PS2 and $80; but I don't want to buy another memory card just to keep my saves when I can just put them directly on my new PS3.
ss5vegetunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 ss5vegetunks
nice thread, i have a question. unfortunatley, my 40gb ps3 stopped reaeding discs, so i called sony, they sent me a box, and i put my ps3 in there, and yesterday( Monday, June 02/09) i send them the box, do you know how long it will take for my PS3 to come back, thanks, MGS4 is coming out, and i wanna play it, thanks and nice thread! EDIT: btw i live in Calgary, Alberta Canada, and my PS3 is going to be fixed in British Columbia, Canada, so do u know when it wi be back? thanks!
Genetic34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 Genetic34
Member since 2004 • 264 Posts
Informative thread THANKS! :D