This topic is locked from further discussion.

kittensRjerks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 kittensRjerks
Member since 2010 • 3802 Posts

[QUOTE="kittensRjerks"]

I was only ever spanked once as a kid, and my parent vowed never to do it again. Instead they found other ways to punish me instead of having to be abusive.

ice144

That's considered abusive? Wow, be glad you didn't live in a different generation.

It wasn.t so much of a spanking but more getting whacked with a belt and the buckle caught me and left a huge welt on my behind... My parents grew up getting spanked and such, and ever since that day vowed to never ever hit their kids.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

[QUOTE="aransom"]

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

It's not just that. I spanked my kid because she forced out the plastic covers on an electrical outlet and wanted to stick a fork in it. Explaining why it's dangerous was pointless without an actual demonstration of the consequences. I found it better to put the fear of God into her with certain situations until she was aware why. Those alternative methods work mostly for the usual whiny brats. That wouldn't stop my kid at all from messing with the electrical outlet.

chrisrooR

Or when your kid undoes their seatbelt while you're driving down the highway.

So you're essentially reinforcing your own behavior (hitting your child). The more you hit your child, the more you begin to believe that it works to stop behavior that isn't wanted. What you're actually doing to the child is much different. The child cannot possibly begin to understand WHY what they're doing is wrong, so why would you hit them when they can't understand why you're hitting them. So instead of developing a relationship with your child, you're making he/she fearful of you as a parent. The child won't do an action, not because it's wrong, but because the child is fearful of being hit/punished, which is the wrong way to approach the situation. It's a bad parenting move.

They understand pain and associate it with certain behaviors they do especially by the time they reach 3 or 4. If they can't understand why and reacts out of fearfulness, that's fine. They'll eventually learn why. The only way your argument would hold is if you use spanking for every little wrong a kid does. It doesn't work that way. Spanking is done only in certain circumstances.

entropyecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 entropyecho
Member since 2005 • 22053 Posts

Here are my thoughts:

aransom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#54 aransom
Member since 2002 • 7408 Posts

[QUOTE="aransom"]

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

It's not just that. I spanked my kid because she forced out the plastic covers on an electrical outlet and wanted to stick a fork in it. Explaining why it's dangerous was pointless without an actual demonstration of the consequences. I found it better to put the fear of God into her with certain situations until she was aware why. Those alternative methods work mostly for the usual whiny brats. That wouldn't stop my kid at all from messing with the electrical outlet.

chrisrooR

Or when your kid undoes their seatbelt while you're driving down the highway.

So you're essentially reinforcing your own behavior (hitting your child). The more you hit your child, the more you begin to believe that it works to stop behavior that isn't wanted. What you're actually doing to the child is much different. The child cannot possibly begin to understand WHY what they're doing is wrong, so why would you hit them when they can't understand why you're hitting them. So instead of developing a relationship with your child, you're making he/she fearful of you as a parent. The child won't do an action, not because it's wrong, but because the child is fearful of being hit/punished, which is the wrong way to approach the situation. It's a bad parenting move.

And how many kids do you have?

1bigsmoke55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 1bigsmoke55
Member since 2007 • 6856 Posts

They Better take the ass whooping.

carrot-cake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 carrot-cake
Member since 2008 • 6880 Posts

Here are my thoughts:

entropyecho

I love that article.

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#57 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts

[QUOTE="chrisrooR"][QUOTE="aransom"]Or when your kid undoes their seatbelt while you're driving down the highway.

jun_aka_pekto

They understand pain and associate it with certain behaviors they do especially by the time they reach 3 or 4. If they can't understand why and reacts out of fearfulness, that's fine. They'll eventually learn why. The only way your argument would hold is if you use spanking for every little wrong a kid does. It doesn't work that way. Spanking is done only in certain circumstances.

You're also teaching your child to approach situations that aren't desirable with violence. There is NO reason to hit your child, you can't justify it. Spanking, in your household, may be done only in certain circumstances but what you need to realize is that YOU as a PARENT are INTRODUCING violence to your child through a firsthand experience of it. There are certainly alternative ways to deal with situations you find yourself wanting to spank your child in. Spanking a child is a cop-out parenting move.
chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 chrisrooR

[QUOTE="chrisrooR"][QUOTE="aransom"]Or when your kid undoes their seatbelt while you're driving down the highway.

aransom

And why is that relevant?
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

To add to my last post....

As the kid gets older, I decrease the punishments. My kid reached that stage by the time she was in 1st grade. At that point, me merely being in a strict mood and pointing out what she did wrong was enough. Currently, my kid is a freshman in HS. I don't have to tell her to do her homework or get good grades. She gets no restrictions on her computer use and she's got full privacy in her room.

The only thing I'm readying now is a shotgun with cartridge holders. One for each ex-boyfriend.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

Outright banning all forms of corporal punishment seems a bit extreme to me. When used properly, it is fine. I do not support the measure.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127528 Posts
No, increase it. Let teachers spank their students too. :P
no_more_fayth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 no_more_fayth
Member since 2010 • 11928 Posts

No, increase it. Let teachers spank their students too. :P horgen123

In what way? :oops:

Wilfred_Owen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#63 Wilfred_Owen
Member since 2005 • 20964 Posts

But I've been a naughty boy.

jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts
ITT: pro-choicers tell you how to bring up your kid and pro-lifers complain about state involvement in making their decisions.
AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts
I dont see how anyone could say kids should never be spanked. I am definitly for spanking. Even if you choose not to spank your own kids what right does anyone have to tell someone how to raise their own kids?
aransom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 aransom

[QUOTE="aransom"]

[QUOTE="chrisrooR"] So you're essentially reinforcing your own behavior (hitting your child). The more you hit your child, the more you begin to believe that it works to stop behavior that isn't wanted. What you're actually doing to the child is much different. The child cannot possibly begin to understand WHY what they're doing is wrong, so why would you hit them when they can't understand why you're hitting them. So instead of developing a relationship with your child, you're making he/she fearful of you as a parent. The child won't do an action, not because it's wrong, but because the child is fearful of being hit/punished, which is the wrong way to approach the situation. It's a bad parenting move.chrisrooR

Because if you don't have any kids, why should anyone listen to you when you say something is a bad parenting move?

curono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#67 curono
Member since 2005 • 7722 Posts
Thing is to shock children, not HURT children. Sometimes a good spank will do more than 1 week of grounding.
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 horgen  Moderator

[QUOTE="horgen123"]No, increase it. Let teachers spank their students too. :P no_more_fayth

In the naughty way of course. :D
chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 chrisrooR

[QUOTE="chrisrooR"][QUOTE="aransom"]And how many kids do you have?

aransom

Because if you don't have any kids, why should anyone listen to you when you say something is a bad parenting move?

' And why should I acknowledge a post that has not contributed to the discussion in any way? You have yet to respond to my initial post. I posted my views, as a student studying psychology, on the matter. Whether I have kids or not is completely irrelevant to the discussion at hand.
no_more_fayth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 no_more_fayth

[QUOTE="no_more_fayth"]

[QUOTE="horgen123"]No, increase it. Let teachers spank their students too. :P horgen123

In the naughty way of course. :D

As long as the student is over 16.

Or 18, depending on where you live. :o

keech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#71 keech
Member since 2003 • 1451 Posts

[QUOTE="aransom"]

[QUOTE="chrisrooR"] So you're essentially reinforcing your own behavior (hitting your child). The more you hit your child, the more you begin to believe that it works to stop behavior that isn't wanted. What you're actually doing to the child is much different. The child cannot possibly begin to understand WHY what they're doing is wrong, so why would you hit them when they can't understand why you're hitting them. So instead of developing a relationship with your child, you're making he/she fearful of you as a parent. The child won't do an action, not because it's wrong, but because the child is fearful of being hit/punished, which is the wrong way to approach the situation. It's a bad parenting move.chrisrooR

That translates to "I don't have any but I know how to raise you child better than you." You can always pick out the people who have no kids in a discussion like this. They are typically the ones who are 100% against it, and say any form of physical discipline is child abuse.

I've never spanked my child. However I'm not against spanking in general. What most people fail to understand is a child is nothing more than Id. Walking talking want. You CANNOT reason, rationalize, or bargan with Id. You can only temporaraly curb it.

All the people on the "nay" side of the argument seem to think your child needs to always understand your actions as a parent 100% of the time all the time. Guess what, they don't and won't no matter what you do. At such a young age they won't understand and don't need to. That comes later. Even so you can always talk to your child shortly after the fact, to try and get them to understand why. It's not as if people are beating their children for every little thing then go about their day as if nothing happened.

mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
I'm not sure how I feel about this. My parents spanked me and I turned out fine. However, I won't be spanking my kids. Yet I don't criticize parents who do. Quite a conundrum.
chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 chrisrooR
Thing is to shock children, not HURT children. Sometimes a good spank will do more than 1 week of grounding.curono
So who regulates how hard a spank is? How many spanks is considered 'fair'? When does spanking become physical abuse? There are so many variables that I see it as best not to hit your kid in the first place. Saying that 'spanking is ok' opens to doors to parents who may spank with excessive force, or may spank for extremely minor things.
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 horgen  Moderator

no_more_fayth
16 here. Or the one could be under 16 and the one punished could also be under 16. :P
no_more_fayth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 no_more_fayth

[QUOTE="no_more_fayth"]

horgen123

16 here. Or the one could be under 16 and the one punished could also be under 16. :P

Sounds like a nice time. :P

IceBlazerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#76 IceBlazerX
Member since 2010 • 3286 Posts
[QUOTE="redstorm72"]

[QUOTE="no_more_fayth"]

There's a difference between spanking and beating.

Not to a child

I wouldn't have known. I was a good kid.
AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 AutoPilotOn
[QUOTE="curono"]Thing is to shock children, not HURT children. Sometimes a good spank will do more than 1 week of grounding.chrisrooR
So who regulates how hard a spank is? How many spanks is considered 'fair'? When does spanking become physical abuse? There are so many variables that I see it as best not to hit your kid in the first place. Saying that 'spanking is ok' opens to doors to parents who may spank with excessive force, or may spank for extremely minor things.

Those people would abuse their kids anyways. Just because you spank your kid doesnt/shouldnt mean you enjoy it. I am so sick of people trying to control everyone life so much even to the point of how they raise their own kids.
redstorm72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#78 redstorm72
Member since 2008 • 4646 Posts

[QUOTE="chrisrooR"][QUOTE="aransom"]

And why is that relevant?aransom

People are allowed to have opinions on matters they may not be directly involved in, and they are just as valid. His argument does not become invalid simply because he doesn't have a child, it's the argument it's self that matters. If you disagree, post an opposing argument. Besides, this is OT, basically all we do is post our opinions on matters that we are not experts in.

00-Riddick-00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#79 00-Riddick-00
Member since 2009 • 18884 Posts

I was spanked when i did something i wasnt supposed to do.. And I turned out alright. Kids these days need to be spanked more.. They have no discipline.

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 chrisrooR

[QUOTE="chrisrooR"][QUOTE="aransom"]And how many kids do you have?

keech

That translates to "I don't have any but I know how to raise you child better than you." You can always pick out the people who have no kids in a discussion like this. They are typically the ones who are 100% against it, and say any form of physical discipline is child abuse.

I've never spanked my child. However I'm not against spanking in general. What most people fail to understand is a child is nothing more than Id. Walking talking want. You CANNOT reason, rationalize, or bargan with Id. You can only temporaraly curb it.

All the people on the "nay" side of the argument seem to think your child needs to always understand your actions as a parent 100% of the time all the time. Guess what, they don't and won't no matter what you do. At such a young age they won't understand and don't need to. That comes later. Even so you can always talk to your child shortly after the fact, to try and get them to understand why. It's not as if people are beating their children for every little thing then go about their day as if nothing happened.

So you've made several generalizations and assumptions. Firstly, you assume I don't have children. I never said I don't, I just find that completely irrelevant to my original post (by the way, you have yet to respond to my original post). Secondly, "All the people on the "nay" side of the argument seem to think your child needs to always understand your actions as a parent 100% of the time all the time. " is a huge generalization to make. "All the people"? Really? It's widely accepted in the psychological community that hitting your children does far more harm than good. I'm not saying that spanking lightly once in a while is wrong, I'm saying that there are certainly more peer reviewed journals that suggest being physical with your child (in most forms - infrequent, light spanks are still fine by me) can be counterproductive as a parent, and may actually cause your child to react to situations with aggression and violence.
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 horgen  Moderator

Sounds like a nice time. :P

no_more_fayth
Yup, so nice that schools probably wont support it :X
redstorm72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 redstorm72

I was spanked when i did something i wasnt supposed to do.. And I turned out alright. Kids these days need to be spanked more.. They have no discipline.

00-Riddick-00

Every generation thinks the kids of the day are undisciplined (remember when rock music was corrupting the youth?). Kids today are no different then they ever were. Besides, discipline doesn't need to come from physical violence, it can be taught far better through other means.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
oh. I was thinking of.... the other spanking. ps. I was punished like crazy in my school, Western kids don't have disciplines here. Have you guys ever been hit by one of these?  hurts like hell. I was punished because my typing speed was too slow. in freaking 3rd grade. and there was things like running crouched around the school field 5 laps, the invisible chair, holding up my chair for 2 hours for some reasons I do not understand, etc.
kayoticdreamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 kayoticdreamz
Member since 2010 • 3347 Posts
At first I thought this was about our new policy of publicly spanking users before we ban them, and I was wondering how the news leaked out. S***! I've said too much.rragnaar
same here lol
chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 chrisrooR
Another thing to note is that the first time you discipline your child, the spank may be of a certain degree of force. The problem is that parents who constantly use spanking as a way to deter a child from doing something undesirable must increase the force of the spank when the undesirable activity becomes more severe because the parent sees it as the only way to enforce authority. So it's very possible that spanking can lead to physical abuse (in some cases) under these circumstances.
AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 AutoPilotOn
[QUOTE="redstorm72"]

[QUOTE="00-Riddick-00"]

Every generation thinks the kids of the day are undisciplined (remember when rock music was corrupting the youth?). Kids today are no different then they ever were. Besides, discipline doesn't need to come from physical violence, it can be taught far better through other means.

I dont consider spanking violent. I think if you want a way to raise your kids without spanking at all thats fine. I wont make you but to force it on everyone else is wrong. And also some kids respond differently to different types of discipline. Some may never need spanked to be good however there are some that really need it.
Suzy_Q_Kazoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Suzy_Q_Kazoo
Member since 2010 • 9899 Posts

I think it's up to parent's how they decide to discipline their child.I've never been one to compare spanking to some sort of abuse.If they spank their children then fine, if they don't then it's just as fine; they should be allowed to decide that though.

DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 DarkGamer007
Member since 2008 • 6033 Posts

I would not spank my child, I would prefer to use non-physical ways of disicpline.

OldTopics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 OldTopics
Member since 2010 • 156 Posts

[QUOTE="00-Riddick-00"]

redstorm72

alot of kids wont shutup/stop whining until spanked. you could yell at them and they would keep going. sometimes kids do need to be hit
redstorm72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 redstorm72

[QUOTE="redstorm72"]

[QUOTE="00-Riddick-00"]

AutoPilotOn

I dont consider spanking violent. I think if you want a way to raise your kids without spanking at all thats fine. I wont make you but to force it on everyone else is wrong. And also some kids respond differently to different types of discipline. Some may never need spanked to be good however there are some that really need it.

I doesn't matter what you consider it to be, it is violence. And like I said in my first post, I strongly disagree with spanking, but I believe the parent has the right to chose how to raise their kid. Parent's are just being lazy when they resort to physical means to punish a child, they just want the quickest and easiest way to discipline their child.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#91 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
I got spanked as a kid. I don't mind spanking my children if they misbehave. But if my child becomes a gamer, I'm going to ground them and play their video games!! :twisted: JK :P
redstorm72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 redstorm72

[QUOTE="redstorm72"]

[QUOTE="00-Riddick-00"]

OldTopics

alot of kids wont shutup/stop whining until spanked. you could yell at them and they would keep going. sometimes kids do need to be hit

Once again, that's just lazy parenting. A parent can't be bothered to gain a report with their child and to actually teach them that what their doing is wrong, so they yell at and hit the kid.

curono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#93 curono
Member since 2005 • 7722 Posts
[QUOTE="curono"]Thing is to shock children, not HURT children. Sometimes a good spank will do more than 1 week of grounding.chrisrooR

Same thing would go as for how much time does grounding becomes a form of "kidnapping". No dinner for you becomes hunger/starvation attempt, ignoring with psychological abuse. Any kind of punishment may become abuse, and you arguing against "grounding." Look, there is no from #Newtons- #Newtons is acceptable and anything beyond is torture. But if you are really interested in what I think is: 1. Spanking shouldnt be ment to hurt children. If hurting or causing pain becomes the main objective, that is wrong. Dont do anything that will make a bruise or other mark. 2. Spanking shouldnt be common thing. Seriously, do it just for times when you gotta stop children in their tracks and only as last measure. 3. Spanking is more about the psychological effect of being hit than the fear of being hurt. 4. Dont give too many spanks. I wont tell a number depending on the gravity of the problem. But I'd say that you should never go higher than 5. Sometimes 1 is more than enough. 5. After a spank, an extra punishment, as regular. Spanking is just to stop completely an event. But that doesnt mean that it replaces a punishment, if you think that afterwards the kid needs somehing else (no allowance), do it but no physical punishment again (unless it is cutting grass, cleaning the car, etc) 6. After a spank stop any other "aggresion". Which means, that after a spank you dont need to be in a "scolding tone". A spank shouldnt be an indication of a lessening of love.
AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 AutoPilotOn
[QUOTE="redstorm72"]

[QUOTE="AutoPilotOn"][QUOTE="redstorm72"]

I doesn't matter what you consider it to be, it is violence. And like I said in my first post, I strongly disagree with spanking, but I believe the parent has the right to chose how to raise their kid. Parent's are just being lazy when they resort to physical means to punish a child, they just want the quickest and easiest way to discipline their child.

I still disagree spanking your kids ass is not violent(maybe it can become violent if the parent is crazy or emotional). I got spanked when I was bad and all it did was make me respect my dad more and appreciate praise I got when I knew I was being good even more.
acsam12304

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 acsam12304
Member since 2005 • 3387 Posts

[QUOTE="00-Riddick-00"]

redstorm72

physical violence? there a BIG difference from spanking for correcting a child, and for hitting a child for "correction"

i was spanked and i turned out ok. i support spanking. when i cursed out and misbehaved in school i know i got spanked when i got home and that stopped me from doing it again cause i did not want to get spanked again.

if my mom and dad said " your grounded" no TV for a day or week, what does that do? oh wow i lost my TV for a day or week big deal and i think i would of been turned out for the bad.

you can say spanking is a form of deterrence from having your childed from mistreating you and others, and doing things that are wrong.

now when a dad gets home and he calls his kid over and tells him to bend over and hits him for no reason at all, or when a parent punches and bruises there kid for "correction" now that childed abused.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 AutoPilotOn
[QUOTE="redstorm72"]

[QUOTE="OldTopics"][QUOTE="redstorm72"]

Once again, that's just lazy parenting. A parent can't be bothered to gain a report with their child and to actually teach them that what their doing is wrong, so they yell at and hit the kid.

Its not being lazy its showing a kid that what they did it wrong with with wrong action comes negative effects. Some kids dont understand whats right and wrong and alittle pain on the buttom is a way to show them.
OldTopics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 OldTopics
Member since 2010 • 156 Posts

[QUOTE="OldTopics"][QUOTE="redstorm72"]

redstorm72

I doubt youve ever had to raise a kid. What do you want the parent to do? Politely ask the kid to stop? that doesnt work. your living in a fantasy world where all kids obey parents all the time
acsam12304

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 acsam12304
Member since 2005 • 3387 Posts

[QUOTE="redstorm72"]

[QUOTE="AutoPilotOn"] I dont consider spanking violent. I think if you want a way to raise your kids without spanking at all thats fine. I wont make you but to force it on everyone else is wrong. And also some kids respond differently to different types of discipline. Some may never need spanked to be good however there are some that really need it.AutoPilotOn

I still disagree spanking your kids ass is not violent(maybe it can become violent if the parent is crazy or emotional). I got spanked when I was bad and all it did was make me respect my dad more and appreciate praise I got when I knew I was being good even more.

same thing with me. in my Jr. High and my Teen years. i learn to be respectful, i learn to have manners.

if my mom and dad DID the REAL lazy way out and said im grounded what will that do? so what if i lose my N64, PlayStation, TV, phone for a day or week. all that will tell me is that i can do it again and all i will risk is just losing some entertainment for a few days.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 AutoPilotOn
I also think they need to bring spanking in school back. Alot of kids have no respect for teachers anymore detention? hhaha supsension yea no school. But the pain and embarassment of getting a paddle is real. I knew a kid in school that had detention every day it was actually a goal of his to see how many he could get . Finally the school sent a permission form home to spank him and his parents signed it. After that he stopped getting the detentions.
aransom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 aransom

A parent can't be bothered to gain a report with their child and to actually teach them that what their doing is wrong, so they yell at and hit the kid.

redstorm72

What has worked best for you when you try to get a better rapport with your children and teach them what they're doing is wrong. You must have all sorts of pointers for other parents.