This topic is locked from further discussion.

harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 harashawn
Member since 2008 • 27620 Posts

Some members of Canada's senate are trying to get spanking your child bannned. The current law allows parents to use necessary disciplinary force, but this would not allow parents touse any force at all.
So this got me thinking, is it okay to spank your child when they misbehave? The way I see it, there's nothing wrong with it as long as the parent doesn't hit too hard. Too many parents these days are just too easy on their kids. I've seen kids screaming in public while the parent just stands there and watches them. :| The best way to make a child behave is to make them fear misbehaving, right? Sending your kid to their room is not a punishment, they'll justfind something to do there.

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

personally i believe their are other methods then spanking your child, but thats just me and i have no kids so i have no idea what i'm talking about, but for now, i'm just saying i wouldn't spank my kids but i don't think they should ban it though

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts
But if they ban spanking, what'll my daddy do to me when I've been a bad boy? :(
Avatar image for Mr_Anderson1817
Mr_Anderson1817

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Mr_Anderson1817
Member since 2009 • 479 Posts

I got spanked as a kid, but if I have kids I'm not going to spank them.

Kids should learn "discipline" by respecting you, not being afraid of you.

jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts
But if they ban spanking, what'll my daddy do to me when I've been a bad boy? :(Theokhoth
Give you a lifelong phobia of the US border.
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts
At first I thought this was about our new policy of publicly spanking users before we ban them, and I was wondering how the news leaked out. S***! I've said too much.
SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#7 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
I endorse public spankings only.
Zyrokin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Zyrokin
Member since 2010 • 1756 Posts

At first I thought this was about our new policy of publicly spanking users before we ban them, and I was wondering how the news leaked out. S***! I've said too much.rragnaar

Sounds like a reward rather than a punishment. Just saying.

DaBlastaMasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DaBlastaMasta
Member since 2009 • 13250 Posts

I don't think any parent should discipline their child through physical punishment.

The only thing that does is make the kid behave out of fear.

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts

But if they ban spanking, what'll my daddy do to me when I've been a bad boy? :(Theokhoth

Dude, that's hilarious! :lol:

Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts

Mr_Anderson1817

Is "respect" a concept that a 4 year old can even comprehend?

ice144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ice144
Member since 2005 • 3350 Posts
I was spanked as a kid, and most definitely deserved it. I'll definitely be continuing that tradition when i get kids.
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts
so now men can only spank their on the side girls?
Avatar image for Mr_Anderson1817
Mr_Anderson1817

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Mr_Anderson1817
Member since 2009 • 479 Posts

[QUOTE="Mr_Anderson1817"]

Oleg_Huzwog

So if they can't even comprehend what good behavior is, you're still gonna slap 'em around?

Setsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 Setsa
Member since 2005 • 8431 Posts
People who think spanking automatically mean abuse are idiotic. Spanking is a much more feasible means of punishment for children not only because they can't comprehend all the underlying factors behind the reason why they should and shouldn't do certain thing, but also because yelling and screaming at a child in lieu can scar them much more in the long run.
CHOASXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 CHOASXIII
Member since 2009 • 14716 Posts

I was spanked as a kid as a means of discipline and I plan to do the same when I have kids.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#17 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts

[QUOTE="Oleg_Huzwog"]

[QUOTE="Mr_Anderson1817"]

Mr_Anderson1817

So if they can't even comprehend what good behavior is, you're still gonna slap 'em around?

I'd get my wife to do it.
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts

Although I hate the idea of corporal punishment, I do think that spanking is necessary in some cases.

Aku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Aku101
Member since 2009 • 2114 Posts

No 4 year old kid knows what is good behavior and what is bad. The simple fact is that kids do not know what the hell they are doing and the repercussions that come with it, they do things for self-interest and follow commands due to incentives. Young kids are very much like dogs, you have to train them through physical discipline and a reward system.

ROFL at kids obeying you due to respect rather than fear. What the hell do kids know about respect :lol:. They only respond to primal emotions such as fear, hunger and pleasure.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

Only bad parents need to spank their child.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I spanked my kid exactly once. Since then the mere threat of spanking was enough to keep her in line until she can think things on her own. She also learned early on that she have to earn her stuff and I don't hand out promises like candy. But whatever promises I give I keep. She's turned out very well, doing very good in school and have good friends. I plan the same for her little sister.

Quite honestly, I don't want anyone telling me how to run my family, especially outsiders.

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
It's nessacery in some cases however it should be banned as that means a parent only uses it in extreme circumstances.
muller39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 muller39
Member since 2008 • 14953 Posts

I don't know if I agree with this or not.

mahlasor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mahlasor
Member since 2010 • 1278 Posts

Dude, people do not realise that is actually a sexual area. Well on the other hand when my wife misbehaves... DONT BAN THAT

Silenthps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Silenthps
Member since 2006 • 7302 Posts

toast_burner
agreed. The problem is that all parents are bad parents, to some degree.
aransom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 aransom
Member since 2002 • 7408 Posts

I spank my kids. It's a simple way to foster discipline that has worked for thousands of years. A lot of people say spanking is hitting, but saying spanking is hitting is like saying a doctor is stabbing you during surgery.

no_more_fayth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 no_more_fayth
Member since 2010 • 11928 Posts

I thought this was about something else that's a little similar. :o

Colin1192

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Colin1192
Member since 2008 • 6221 Posts

ive always found the back hand to be more effective anyways

aransom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 aransom

toast_burner

How many kids do you have?

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#30 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
I've never really understood the problem with this or why anyone cares if a parent spanks their kid or not.
Avatar image for deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

I've never really understood the problem with this or why anyone cares if a parent spanks their kid or not. Legolas_Katarn
Because it causes physical pain?

knightseason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 knightseason
Member since 2006 • 1260 Posts

I like a good spanking every now and then

kittensRjerks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 kittensRjerks
Member since 2010 • 3802 Posts

I was only ever spanked once as a kid, and my parent vowed never to do it again. Instead they found other ways to punish me instead of having to be abusive.

redstorm72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 redstorm72
Member since 2008 • 4646 Posts

I don't agree with spanking. I think it's a method of punishment used by terrible parents who can't get their kid to do what they want. My parents never needed to uses the threat of physical violence to get me to do what they wanted, they would use alternative methods like sitting me in a corner or not letting me watch TV. That being said, I don't think it should be banned, it's not really the governments place to dictate how we parent our children.

curono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#35 curono
Member since 2005 • 7722 Posts
I endorse public spankings only.SolidSnake35
With hot pans. No, seriously, violence is not cool. ...HOWEVER... Sometimes a good spank is necessary. Sometimes kids need a hit that stuns them -I dont mean physically, but some kind of mental shocker-. Spanking just like slaps, should not be used for the sakes of physical punishment or to cause pain as retribution. Spanking should be used as that thing that shocks people and stops them in their tracks.
ice144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ice144
Member since 2005 • 3350 Posts

I was only ever spanked once as a kid, and my parent vowed never to do it again. Instead they found other ways to punish me instead of having to be abusive.

kittensRjerks
That's considered abusive? Wow, be glad you didn't live in a different generation.
IceBlazerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#37 IceBlazerX
Member since 2010 • 3286 Posts

[QUOTE="rragnaar"]At first I thought this was about our new policy of publicly spanking users before we ban them, and I was wondering how the news leaked out. S***! I've said too much.Zyrokin

Sounds like a reward rather than a punishment. Just saying.

You have your reward then. :)
chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
Yes, there is absolutely no need whatsoever to hit your child. Hitting a child makes the child stop the action for the wrong reason; the child fears the parent, as opposed to the child understanding why what they did was wrong.
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 jun_aka_pekto

I don't agree with spanking. I think it's a method of punishment used by terrible parents who can't get their kid to do what they want. My parents never needed to uses the threat of physical violence to get me to do what they wanted, they would use alternative methods like sitting me in a corner or not letting me watch TV. That being said, I don't think it should be banned, it's not really the governments place to dictate how we parent our children.

redstorm72

It's not just that. I spanked my kid because she forced out the plastic covers on an electrical outlet and wanted to stick a fork in it. Explaining why it's dangerous was pointless without an actual demonstration of the consequences. I found it better to put the fear of God into her with certain situations until she was aware why. Those alternative methods work mostly for the usual whiny brats. That wouldn't stop my kid at all from messing with the electrical outlet.

aransom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 aransom

[QUOTE="redstorm72"]

jun_aka_pekto

It's not just that. I spanked my kid because she forced out the plastic covers on an electrical outlet and wanted to stick a fork in it. Explaining why it's dangerous was pointless without an actual demonstration of the consequences. I found it better to put the fear of God into her with certain situations until she was aware why. Those alternative methods work mostly for the usual whiny brats. That wouldn't stop my kid at all from messing with the electrical outlet.

Or when your kid undoes their seatbelt while you're driving down the highway.

redstorm72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 redstorm72

[QUOTE="redstorm72"]

jun_aka_pekto

Or maybe next time you should just keep a better eye on your kid. Your putting the fear of God into your kid because of your failings as a parent.

carrot-cake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 carrot-cake
Member since 2008 • 6880 Posts

The senate wants this does it? Well the senate can go **** themselves. They're a bunch of over privileged pricks who not only are not elected, but have the power to strike down a bill WITHOUT EVEN DISCUSSING IT. Why does this useless body exist? It's just a really nice retirement package for gov't favorites. They dont even have to attend the majority of the sessions!

Someimes spanking is necessary.

Crazyguy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Crazyguy105
Member since 2009 • 9513 Posts

I was spanked quite a few times but that's because I deserved it. :P

Telling a 4 year old to be quiet is not going to get them to shut up. Sometimes a spanking is necessary.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 jun_aka_pekto

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

[QUOTE="redstorm72"]

aransom

That too. But, I usually have someone at the back (usually the wife or mother-in-law) to ensure they stayed secured. A "Don't make me come back there!" in a growling tone is enough to keep the young one from messing with the buckles.

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 chrisrooR

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

[QUOTE="redstorm72"]

aransom

So you're essentially reinforcing your own behavior (hitting your child). The more you hit your child, the more you begin to believe that it works to stop behavior that isn't wanted. What you're actually doing to the child is much different. The child cannot possibly begin to understand WHY what they're doing is wrong, so why would you hit them when they can't understand why you're hitting them. So instead of developing a relationship with your child, you're making he/she fearful of you as a parent. The child won't do an action, not because it's wrong, but because the child is fearful of being hit/punished, which is the wrong way to approach the situation. It's a bad parenting move.
no_more_fayth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 no_more_fayth

There's a difference between spanking and beating.

redstorm72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 redstorm72

no_more_fayth

Not to a child

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 chrisrooR

no_more_fayth
A child can't comprehend it.

[QUOTE="no_more_fayth"]

redstorm72

Not to a child

Spoke too soon :P
no_more_fayth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 no_more_fayth

[QUOTE="no_more_fayth"]

redstorm72

Not to a child

Then they wouldn't know they're being beaten.

weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
do not want