The DS Recommendation Thread---What Game Should I Get? 56K. v2

This topic is locked from further discussion.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1351 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

I am looking to purchase another game for my 3DS and need some opinions

Currently I own Pilotwings, Leog Star Wars and SSFIV. I am debating between several games

Rayman 3D - I know it is a port and I vaguely remember playign the version that came out for Playstation a little. So itwouldessential be a new experience for me.

Samurai Warrior Chronicles - Never played any of the SW or DW series games, but also looking for a good hack-n-slash game. Have heard mixes views about the game though

Ridge Racer - haven't played a RR game since my PS2 days and it looks like the best racing game out there for the 3DS right now

Shadow Wars - am leary of the game because I am not a big RTS fan (yes I know it's turn based, but essential it is still an RTS). So I am thinking this might not be a good game to start off with

I am also open to views on the other games that are out for the system, but think I will probably go for one of these games. Just not sure.

sinsalaca

I have Ride Racer 3D and it's the only game I have. I gave it a 7.5 and the gamespot review is quite accurate. It lacks online, but still it's an easy to pick up and play arcade racing game that can be quite addictive, especially when unlocking faster cars and mastering the drifts. But another main dissappointment is that the tracks get old pretty fast.

I have put in over 10 hours so far and it says I've completed 50% of the game, so there is quite a bit of races to go through (beginner, intemediate, expert).

I personally didn't buy the game as it was free with my 3DS bundle, and I have never played a RR before. So take my opinion with a grain of salt. All I can say is that if you're into arcade racers, and you want an easy to pick up and play addictive racer, I think RR 3D is a good pickup.

Sidenote: I personally prefer the game on quite low 3D, as it can get quite pixilated on the horizon, thus when you turn the 3D on and everything gets faster, it can be quite hard to make out what's coming up next especially if there is a bit of ghosting or if you accidently tilt the 3DS (which happens naturally for me in a racer) it results in blurring everything a little more. Just sayin' incase people want a 3D showcase, I'd say RR doesn't do the 3D as great as others on the shelf. It's not terrible, but it needs to be on low otherwise it's a hinderance.

Darkrose2222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1352 Darkrose2222
Member since 2010 • 67 Posts

Okay I am loving my 3ds. I just wish there were more games I was intrested in. I know 3ds just came out. I will have patience and understanding about it. The games I am intrestend are not coming out for months. It sucks but it is what it is. I bought Ghost Recon Shadow wars. It an okay game I don't hate it but I don't love it either. I was curious has anyone had problems with playing the game in 3d. I was playing Ghost Recon Shadow wars but after a few mintute.I got a bad headache and had to turn the 3D off. I tried ajusting it with the slider but no go? I don't know if it because the game is not graphically all that good. It puts strain on my eyes or something. Hopefully the other games won't do the same thing with me. The point of the 3DS is to play games in 3D.

Darkrose2222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1353 Darkrose2222
Member since 2010 • 67 Posts

PS: Not sure if it is because the screen is small. I can watch 3D movies at the theater. I do realize the screen is bigger.

Calvin079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#1354 Calvin079
Member since 2008 • 16406 Posts

Hey. I finally have a DS and after playing Pokemon, realise how fun an RPG on the go can be.

I just wanted to see if someone could list me DS RPGs. With a 7 year library, its a little hard. Review scores are irrelevant and no Atlus games unfourtunatley, seeing as they dont release here (Shin Megami Tensei etc.).

Thanks in advance

shutdown_202

Mario & Luigi RPGseries is great, but as for a comprehensive list, there's quite a bit.

Mario & Luigi: Partners In Time

Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story

Pokmeon, Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, Black, White, Heartgold, Soul Silver

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series

Sands of Destruction

Glory of Hercules

Kingdom Hearts: Re:Coded

Kingdom Hearts 365/2 days

There also a few of those Devil Survivor games; though I don't know which ones

Blue Dragon

Final Fanatsy: Ring of Fates

Dragon Quest series

And probably a LOT more that I'm missing.

TheAbstrakt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1355 TheAbstrakt
Member since 2006 • 1736 Posts
Pokemon HeartGold or White Version? Not really a fan of the newer Pokemon, but the new features sound nice.
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#1356 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

[QUOTE="shutdown_202"]

Hey. I finally have a DS and after playing Pokemon, realise how fun an RPG on the go can be.

I just wanted to see if someone could list me DS RPGs. With a 7 year library, its a little hard. Review scores are irrelevant and no Atlus games unfourtunatley, seeing as they dont release here (Shin Megami Tensei etc.).

Thanks in advance

Calvin079

Mario & Luigi RPGseries is great, but as for a comprehensive list, there's quite a bit.

Sands of Destruction

Glory of Hercules

Blue Dragon

Dragon Quest series

DQIX, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy IV come to mind. Also, a great action RPG is Lunar Knights. It's hack and slash with RPG elements. Also, the Castlevania games (which are great and reccomended by me) have RPG elements as well.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1357 turtlethetaffer

Pokemon HeartGold or White Version? Not really a fan of the newer Pokemon, but the new features sound nice.TheAbstrakt

Heartgold is still the same great game, with a great interface and some nice features like a customizable Safari Zone, Pokemon can walk behind you and 2 regions, plus a TON of legendaries to catch. White is also good with many new Pokemon, a large region, some awesome new battles (Triple battles) and many powerful opponents for grinding. I guess it depends on what you're looking for.

TheAbstrakt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1358 TheAbstrakt
Member since 2006 • 1736 Posts
are the newer features in b/w worth it? how different do the two games play really? because what draws me to gold is the older pokemon and the fact that its 2 regions long.
elbos2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1359 elbos2k
Member since 2004 • 50 Posts

are the newer features in b/w worth it? how different do the two games play really? because what draws me to gold is the older pokemon and the fact that its 2 regions long.TheAbstrakt

Same here, not sure which version to buy. Love the new stuff in Pokemon B/W but not really excited about the new Pokemon. Can't decide between SS and Black. My only concern about B/W is that I won't be able to capture most of the old Pokemon. Is the Dreamworld in B/W be best possible way to capture all the old Pokemon?

ACL0V3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1360 ACL0V3R
Member since 2008 • 2273 Posts

Ok so for the 3DS I have Nintendogs and Ride Racer. I am trying to decide between Steel Diver and Street Fighter. I have never played a street fighter game before, but I would really like to have an online game. However, Steel Diver looks like a lot of fun, despite the poor review it got on here, is it really that bad? What do you guys think I should get?

orion_52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1361 orion_52
Member since 2008 • 595 Posts

Ok so for the 3DS I have Nintendogs and Ride Racer. I am trying to decide between Steel Diver and Street Fighter. I have never played a street fighter game before, but I would really like to have an online game. However, Steel Diver looks like a lot of fun, despite the poor review it got on here, is it really that bad? What do you guys think I should get?

ACL0V3R
Honestly I would go with Pilotwings. I've played it much more than SFIV (which is a great game too, I'm just a little burned out on SFIV after the two previous console iterations). I haven't tried Steel Diver, but I've heard mixed things about it. Also GR:Shadow Wars is supposed to be a good game. I haven't played it though.
m1k3m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#1362 m1k3m
Member since 2007 • 1758 Posts

I'm trying to figure out what 3DS game I want to pick up next. I already have Pilotwings, Madden, Street Fighter, and Ridge Racer. Surprisingly, i've spent the most time with Madden by a long shot, but I can't decide between Splinter Cell and Rayman. I was thinking about Steel Diver, but I definitely think I'd regret getting it for $40 since it's so short on content. Thanks in advance for any help.

sinsalaca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1363 sinsalaca
Member since 2005 • 1070 Posts

I'm trying to figure out what 3DS game I want to pick up next. I already have Pilotwings, Madden, Street Fighter, and Ridge Racer. Surprisingly, i've spent the most time with Madden by a long shot, but I can't decide between Splinter Cell and Rayman. I was thinking about Steel Diver, but I definitely think I'd regret getting it for $40 since it's so short on content. Thanks in advance for any help.

m1k3m

Even though it is a port of a game that has already been ported 15 million times I have heard good things about Rayman. I picked up a copy myself but haven't had a chance to play it yet. I have heard that the game is at minimum a 10+ hr game if you try to find all of the lums so it seems like good value for the money.

gabgabgab39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1364 gabgabgab39
Member since 2009 • 315 Posts

the games i have for 3DS are:

SSF4 9/10

PES 2011 3D: 8/10

Ghost Recon SW: 8.5/10

Lego star wars 3: the clone wars: 7/10

Splinter cell 3D: 7/10

and i might get pilotwings as well

ReaperZA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1365 ReaperZA
Member since 2003 • 1521 Posts

This thread is in DIRE need of an update, got my 3DS as my first DS and DQIX should be the no1 recommended game, no question! :!:

Icare0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#1366 Icare0
Member since 2009 • 409 Posts

[QUOTE="shutdown_202"]

Thanks in advance

Calvin079

Sands of Destruction

Glory of Hercules

Blue Dragon

Dragon Quest series

The World Ends With You

Golden Sun

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#1367 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
Is Pilotwings a good game for someone who can easily get OCD about 100% completion? Also, anything bad to say about Sonic Classics Collection, other than the poor Sonic 1 emulation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#1368 004050
Member since 2011 • 174 Posts
ninja gaiden dragon sword ohh yeah have dat and completed it 3 times it is easy try the xbox version if u think that hard lol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#1369 004050
Member since 2011 • 174 Posts
3ds jus cames out though
LazyMushroom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1370 LazyMushroom
Member since 2011 • 914 Posts
[QUOTE="darkspineslayer"]Is Pilotwings a good game for someone who can easily get OCD about 100% completion? Also, anything bad to say about Sonic Classics Collection, other than the poor Sonic 1 emulation

Pilotwings is a really fun game and isn't too hard to complete if you like getting 100%.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#1371 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
Both Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars and Rayman 3D are on sale at Future Shop Canada (for $29.99). I was wondering if its worth getting either. I already have SSFIV 3D and I have Pilotwings Resort. I was waiting for Zelda: OoT3D for my next game, as I never finished/played it. I also have never played Rayman 2 so Rayman 3D would also be new to me. I'm not good at strategy games but I love a challenge with games, so I might be interested in GR: Shadow Wars. Anyone willing to let me know the good/bad about both?
ACx7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1373 ACx7
Member since 2007 • 6222 Posts
Looking for RPGs with a class system similar to Golden Sun or FF III. No Dragon Quest, please. Any suggestions?
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1374 turtlethetaffer

Hello everyone. I was just surfing the site one day, when I stumbled across a game called Theresia: Dear Emile. I read a bit about it, read some reviews, and the game interests me. I'm a HUGE horror fan; I enjoy Stephen King alot, and the 2 Silent Hill games I have played. One of my favorite movies ever is the Evil Dead. So, would you reccomend this game for me? It looks like something I'd like, but i'd like to hear it from someone who has played the game. Thanks in advance.

andrewjuly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1375 andrewjuly
Member since 2011 • 199 Posts
soooooooooo cooooooool!!!!
monica622

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1376 monica622
Member since 2011 • 47 Posts

Yay for a new Recommendation Thread! I'm especially excited for the DSiWare section.

kelliemonster
Great!
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1377 turtlethetaffer

soooooooooo cooooooool!!!!andrewjuly

Dude what?

monica622

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1378 monica622
Member since 2011 • 47 Posts
For each game analysis of advantages and disadvantages of the really thoughtful, I think this can help a lot of people.But I don't know what I like most: which one
Chopinist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#1379 Chopinist
Member since 2009 • 435 Posts

People, play Ghost Trick. One of the best experiences I ever had as a gamer! Also, any opinions on touch Detective and it's sequel?

lalalei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1380 lalalei
Member since 2010 • 203 Posts

what are the best story-rich games on the ds? i just bought a dsi so i picked up: trace memory, hotel dusk, twewy, smt devil survivor

i'm looking at 9 persons 9 hours 9 doors.. anything else a must play?

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1381 turtlethetaffer

what are the best story-rich games on the ds? i just bought a dsi so i picked up: trace memory, hotel dusk, twewy, smt devil survivor

i'm looking at 9 persons 9 hours 9 doors.. anything else a must play?

lalalei

There's a game called Knights in the Nightmare I urge you to try. The gameplay is very unique and takes some getting used to, but, once you do, the game becomes a very satisfying RTS/ other genre hybrid. and the story is easily one of the best ever in a video game. It's presented in a strange way (fragments are given to you) but it's very, very amazing and very well told. I can't urge anyone enough to play this game; and beleive me, the story will not dissappioint. And the story is basically the main focus of the game, so it should have what you're looking for.Hope this helps.

pacific90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1382 pacific90
Member since 2010 • 848 Posts

Which game should I get? Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hour Glass, Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks, or Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3DS. I am a fan of the Toon Link series, but I am not sure how the games are.

Thanks.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1383 turtlethetaffer

Which game should I get? Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hour Glass, Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks, or Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3DS. I am a fan of the Toon Link series, but I am not sure how the games are.

Thanks.

pacific90

If you've played OoT before, I'd say get Spirit Tracks. Phantom Hourglass was good but the Temple of the Ocean King was so broken I almost didn't finish the game. Overall, Spirit Tracks is a better game; great puzzles, good bosses, cool music, plenty of sidequests and it's the tougher of the 2 Toon games on DS. However if you've never played OoT I'd say get OoT 3DS, because OoT really is one of the best games ever.

Tropicalshower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1384 Tropicalshower
Member since 2009 • 10813 Posts

What are the best side scrolling games for the ds?

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1385 turtlethetaffer

Tropicalshower

New super Mario Brothers, all 3 Castlevanias (Dawn of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin, Order of Ecclesia) Super Scribblenauts, Kirby Super Star Ultra. All are great and fun games, I would reccomend going for the Castlevania games because I think you can find them for cheap and they are very fun. Hope this helps. Oh and if you can find it, Legend of Kage 2 is a great action game.

Tropicalshower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1386 Tropicalshower

[QUOTE="Tropicalshower"]

turtlethetaffer

New super Mario Brothers, all 3 Castlevanias (Dawn of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin, Order of Ecclesia) Super Scribblenauts, Kirby Super Star Ultra. All are great and fun games, I would reccomend going for the Castlevania games because I think you can find them for cheap and they are very fun. Hope this helps. Oh and if you can find it, Legend of Kage 2 is a great action game.

Going with Castlevania, which one should I start with?(does it matter)

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1387 turtlethetaffer

[QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]

[QUOTE="Tropicalshower"]

Tropicalshower

Going with Castlevania, which one should I start with?(does it matter)

They are all standalone games and have their strengths and weaknesses. If you've played a Castlevania game before and don't mind a challenge, I'd say get Ecclesia first, because it can be quite tough, but never feels unfair. If you prefer an easier game, get Portrait of Ruin. Aside from a few bosses, it is the easiest of the 3. Dawn of Sorrow is right in the middle, and, crhonologically (like where they fit in the timeline), the games go like this: Order of Ecclesia (late 1800's), Portrait of Ruin (I think it said 1940, so WWII), then Dawn of Sorrow. (2036.) If you're going to play dawn of Sorrow, I reccomend picking up Aria of Sorrow (for the Game Boy Advance) becauseDawn is a direct sequel to Aria. The other 2 DS games are pure standalones, though. Sorry if confusing, but I hope this helps. :)

gmsteam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1388 gmsteam
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
For some reason I only seem able to play Pokemon for forty-five minutes to an hour
Tropicalshower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1389 Tropicalshower

They are all standalone games and have their strengths and weaknesses. If you've played a Castlevania game before and don't mind a challenge, I'd say get Ecclesia first, because it can be quite tough, but never feels unfair. If you prefer an easier game, get Portrait of Ruin. Aside from a few bosses, it is the easiest of the 3. Dawn of Sorrow is right in the middle, and, crhonologically (like where they fit in the timeline), the games go like this: Order of Ecclesia (late 1800's), Portrait of Ruin (I think it said 1940, so WWII), then Dawn of Sorrow. (2036.) If you're going to play dawn of Sorrow, I reccomend picking up Aria of Sorrow (for the Game Boy Advance) becauseDawn is a direct sequel to Aria. The other 2 DS games are pure standalones, though. Sorry if confusing, but I hope this helps. :)

turtlethetaffer

It sure helps :)

I'm going with Order of Ecclesia.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1390 turtlethetaffer

Tropicalshower

It sure helps :)

I'm going with Order of Ecclesia.

Okay. Have fun! Also i still reccomend playing the other ones as well, and the other games I named in response to your original question are very good as well.

andrewjuly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1391 andrewjuly
Member since 2011 • 199 Posts
Some of this information is now old!!
Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1392 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

what to get back into yugioh but dont know which game to get. what is the best yugioh games that out now?

Ravi089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1393 Ravi089
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
ey just wondering is metroid prime hunters Ds. something I should get I saw it at the store, and I thought it looked epic is it good. I looked at it, it got an 8.9 which is good for a DS game.
Tropicalshower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1394 Tropicalshower

@turtlethetaffer: Just wanted to thank you again, game is quite awesome.:P It's challenging, but it never feels cheap. I know I have a lot of catching up to do(Portrait of Ruin and Dawn of Sorrow) but they better make another one on 3DS :D

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1395 turtlethetaffer

@turtlethetaffer: Just wanted to thank you again, game is quite awesome.:P It's challenging, but it never feels cheap. I know I have a lot of catching up to do(Portrait of Ruin and Dawn of Sorrow) but they better make another one on 3DS :D

Tropicalshower

Yeah glad you're enjoying it. And it would be awesome for one on 3DS. Imagine how cool the backgrounds could be. After seeing things like in the Water level of Ecclesia (I forget the name but you like swim across it at first gain the ability to walk underwater, then there's like a whole underwater area to explore) I have high hopes that Konami can create one of the best looking 2.5 D sidescrollers ever. Again glad you're enjoying it. How far are you, out of curiosity?

Avatar image for ScourgeofHelado
ScourgeofHelado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1396 ScourgeofHelado
Member since 2006 • 163 Posts

hello, i just bought a ds lite and am looking for a good action rpg. I would prefer one the allows character development/customization if possible. are there any good ones available for the ds? thanks a lot!

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1397 turtlethetaffer

hello, i just bought a ds lite and am looking for a good action rpg. I would prefer one the allows character development/customization if possible. are there any good ones available for the ds? thanks a lot!

ScourgeofHelado

Lunar Knights is a Hack n Slash but you level up traditionally and such. Also, the Castlevania games are action platformers with RPG elements. (Dawn of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin, and Order of Ecclesia.) Things like equipment, leveling up, etc are present in all of the games I mentioned.

Avatar image for ScourgeofHelado
ScourgeofHelado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1398 ScourgeofHelado
Member since 2006 • 163 Posts

[QUOTE="ScourgeofHelado"]

turtlethetaffer

Lunar Knights is a Hack n Slash but you level up traditionally and such. Also, the Castlevania games are action platformers with RPG elements. (Dawn of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin, and Order of Ecclesia.) Things like equipment, leveling up, etc are present in all of the games I mentioned.

Thank you very much, i will look into all of them!

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1399 turtlethetaffer

[QUOTE="ScourgeofHelado"]

ScourgeofHelado

Thank you very much, i will look into all of them!

Glad to be of service. :)

clubhaxor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#1400 clubhaxor
Member since 2005 • 2482 Posts

Been playing LEGO Harry Potter Years 1-4. Very fun so far. Definitely recommend if you like LEGO/Harry Potter games.