Member introductions.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LoCi-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201 LoCi-X
Member since 2008 • 29 Posts
Hi, I'm Joshua, 32. I have never been big on other people telling me what to do, think, feel, say, etc. I prefer to make my own mind up. The world can be a scary place! That's why I believe so many people have not strayed from their faiths, because the fear of dying alone. The fear of it all ending. The fear of religious persecution. Isn't immortality : life = heaven : death? After all is said and done, I am big enough to know that when I die that is it, maybe I will turn into a beam of energy or something like powder, but I am not going to writhe in fear and hide behind Jesus or Mohammed or Buddha or whatever. When it's time to go, just suck it up and get over it.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#202 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts
Hi Joshua. Welcome to the union!
Forerunner-117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#203 Forerunner-117
Member since 2006 • 8800 Posts
Welcome, Joshua! We seem to have very similar feelings about death. :P
LoCi-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205 LoCi-X
Member since 2008 • 29 Posts

Welcome, Joshua! We seem to have very similar feelings about death. :PForerunner-117

Cool

brawl_96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#206 brawl_96
Member since 2008 • 3953 Posts
sup guys im brawl_96!!! can someone tell me who invited me?? and wats this union all about?
THUMPTABLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#208 THUMPTABLE
Member since 2003 • 2357 Posts
[QUOTE="THUMPTABLE"][QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"][QUOTE="THUMPTABLE"][QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"]

Oh, I forgot to introduce myself.

Anyway, I'm a 17 year old, who lives in Middlesbrough, England.

I've been an atheist since, well since pretty much forever, I guess.

I am currently studying my A levels, in particular A level Maths, biology, chemistry, physics,and philosophy and ethics.

I'm sure I'll enjoy more debate and generally gain more insight by using this union.

Peace Out!

MetalGear_Ninty

Go Borough!!

Are you from Middlesbrough as well?

No sorry mate, from Downunder. My oldman is from Edinburgh and i closely followed the premier league for a while.

Yeah, it's a shame we're doing really badly at the moment. :(

Yeah ok, plus Viduka and Schwarzer played for you guys.
dallbowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#209 dallbowl
Member since 2005 • 439 Posts

Well ive already made a few posts, but I will introduce myself anyway.

My name is Brendon, i'm 23, I live in Australia. Have been a Gamespot member for about 4 years now. I am a student, I am studying an arts degree with majors in psychology and politics. I am an atheist. My family is not religious, and they have not tried to influence me in anyway. To be honest, I have no idea where my parents would be in terms of beliefs; I have never heard them talk about it.

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#210 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts

Hi Joshua, brawl_96 on the front page there is a description of the union, but it's mainly to discuss religious and non-religious subjects.  Hello Brendon.

You'll notice many of us here using our names or shortened "nicknames".  My name's Bryan, feel free to use it, btaylor, or whatever floats your boat in any discussion.

Forerunner-117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211 Forerunner-117
Hey brawl_96 and Brendon! Nice to have you guys here. :)
auron_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#212 auron_16
Member since 2008 • 4062 Posts

I'm kinda late, but um, Hiya, im auron.

I joined this union cause it seemed to be one of the few places on GS where people are reasonable about religion and atheism alike.

I am an atheist, but I was a Sikh before.  For those of you that are not familiar with Sikhism, it is a religion from India that combines Sufi mystic beliefs and Hindu beliefs, with a bit of Buddhism thrown in.

Everyone here seems pretty cool, so, umm, yeah, i'll see ya all around :D

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#213 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

Welcome auron. :) And you have an amazing avatar. :D

And yes, we are pretty cool.  8)

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#214 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

Hi all.  I think most of you already know who I am, but for those who don't...

I'm Luke, and you can call me whatever you like as long as I know you're talking to me. :P  Anyone who knows me will probably know that I'm not atheist, but to be frank I find the atheists around GameSpot tend to be nicer to talk to than the religious on matters of religion, strangely enough.  Although that's probably due in large part to the fact that the most vocal religious folk on GameSpot tend to be... well, you know the ones.

Anyway, it's no secret that I enjoy discussing matters of religion, and I've lurked around here a few times and thought it looked like a nice place, so I figured I'd finally drop by.  Cheers.

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts

Yay, it's Lord Gabu von Chick- er, Chocobo! ^__^

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216 Teenaged

Oooo, another mod in the AU. We are becoming an elite union folks. Hehe. :P Kidding, kidding.

Welcome GabuEx/Luke/Chocobo. :)

Avatar image for MetalGear_Ninty
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217 MetalGear_Ninty
Member since 2008 • 6337 Posts

Hi all. I think most of you already know who I am, but for those who don't...

I'm Luke, and you can call me whatever you like as long as I know you're talking to me. :P Anyone who knows me will probably know that I'm not atheist, but to be frank I find the atheists around GameSpot tend to be nicer to talk to than the religious on matters of religion, strangely enough. Although that's probably due in large part to the fact that the most vocal religious folk on GameSpot tend to be... well, you know the ones.

Anyway, it's no secret that I enjoy discussing matters of religion, and I've lurked around here a few times and thought it looked like a nice place, so I figured I'd finally drop by. Cheers.

GabuEx
What a welcome surprise to have you here.
btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 btaylor2404

Welcome auron, interesting religion you were brought up in.

Gabu, great to see you here.  The more religious people the merrier, and I'm certain you will bring a lot the conversations. 

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts

Gabu, great to see you here.  The more religious people the merrier, and I'm certain you will bring a lot the conversations. 

btaylor2404
Gabu's a deist.
Avatar image for MetalGear_Ninty
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 MetalGear_Ninty
Member since 2008 • 6337 Posts
[QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"][QUOTE="THUMPTABLE"][QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"][QUOTE="THUMPTABLE"][QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"]

Oh, I forgot to introduce myself.

Anyway, I'm a 17 year old, who lives in Middlesbrough, England.

I've been an atheist since, well since pretty much forever, I guess.

I am currently studying my A levels, in particular A level Maths, biology, chemistry, physics,and philosophy and ethics.

I'm sure I'll enjoy more debate and generally gain more insight by using this union.

Peace Out!

THUMPTABLE

Go Borough!!

Are you from Middlesbrough as well?

No sorry mate, from Downunder. My oldman is from Edinburgh and i closely followed the premier league for a while.

Yeah, it's a shame we're doing really badly at the moment. :(

Yeah ok, plus Viduka and Schwarzer played for you guys.

And that's our problem, that those two are no longer playing for us. :P
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 GabuEx
[QUOTE="btaylor2404"]

Gabu, great to see you here. The more religious people the merrier, and I'm certain you will bring a lot the conversations.

Funky_Llama

Gabu's a deist.

I think "confused" would be a more precise description of my religious state. :P To be honest, my readings of the Bible have led me almost to the conclusion that I've been a Christian all along and was unaware, but I kind of get the feeling that most of our resident Christians would kind of have a problem with that assertion.

BladeOfHeaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 BladeOfHeaven
Member since 2006 • 6027 Posts
Well I'm Blade, looks like I know alot of people here. :P
Anyways Dark_Knight invited me, so here I am. :P
btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 btaylor2404
[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="btaylor2404"]

Gabu, great to see you here. The more religious people the merrier, and I'm certain you will bring a lot the conversations.

GabuEx

Gabu's a deist.

I think "confused" would be a more precise description of my religious state. :P To be honest, my readings of the Bible have led me almost to the conclusion that I've been a Christian all along and was unaware, but I kind of get the feeling that most of our resident Christians would kind of have a problem with that assertion.

Nothing wrong with confused, if we're not learning and questioning something new every day what's the point? One of my main "theory's/ideas", and apparently many others have come to the same conclusion, is that the Bible is a very thinly veiled "attack/railing" against Roman oppression at the time.  Just wanted to know what your take is on that Gabu, do you see that at all?

@Blade: Welcome, great to have you here.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 GabuEx

Nothing wrong with confused, if we're not learning and questioning something new every day what's the point? One of my main "theory's/ideas", and apparently many others have come to the same conclusion, is that the Bible is a very thinly veiled "attack/railing" against Roman oppression at the time.  Just wanted to know what your take is on that Gabu, do you see that at all?

btaylor2404

Well, I should say up front that I'm only a history buff as far back as the nineteenth century or so.  I know what the Bible says and the general point in history in which Jesus appears, but I have to admit that I'm mostly ignorant of its broader, detailed historical context.  That's not to say that I wouldn't like to learn, but there are only so many things a guy can do in the limited amount of time he has available.

Based on the text itself, though, I'm not sure I'd call it an attack on Roman oppression, though, or at least to say that was its main purpose.  There are situations in which Jesus even explicitly tells people not to "fight the Man", so to speak; one example is the line in which he instructs his followers to "render unto Caesar what is Caesar's" - i.e., to buck up and pay their taxes.  There's also the issue that the entire Old Testament was written many, many years before the Roman Empire even existed - but, perhaps you're only referring to the New Testament.

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225 btaylor2404
[QUOTE="btaylor2404"]

GabuEx

Well, I should say up front that I'm only a history buff as far back as the nineteenth century or so.  I know what the Bible says and the general point in history in which Jesus appears, but I have to admit that I'm mostly ignorant of its broader, detailed historical context.  That's not to say that I wouldn't like to learn, but there are only so many things a guy can do in the limited amount of time he has available.

Based on the text itself, though, I'm not sure I'd call it an attack on Roman oppression, though, or at least to say that was its main purpose.  There are situations in which Jesus even explicitly tells people not to "fight the Man", so to speak; one example is the line in which he instructs his followers to "render unto Caesar what is Caesar's" - i.e., to buck up and pay their taxes.  There's also the issue that the entire Old Testament was written many, many years before the Roman Empire even existed - but, perhaps you're only referring to the New Testament.

Yes the NT only, I gave up on the OT a long, long time ago.  I'm no expert, but read up on Roman history a bit, and every time I read the NT, I find parts that are, to me, all about Rome.  Now being an Atheist I'm sure I'm looking at it a bit differently than others.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 GabuEx

Yes the NT only, I gave up on the OT a long, long time ago.  I'm no expert, but read up on Roman history a bit, and every time I read the NT, I find parts that are, to me, all about Rome.  Now being an Atheist I'm sure I'm looking at it a bit differently than others.

btaylor2404

Can you give a few examples of what you're referring to?  It's pretty darn hard to say anything at all about the New Testament in its multi-book entirety, so perhaps some examples might help things along.

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 btaylor2404
[QUOTE="btaylor2404"]

GabuEx

Can you give a few examples of what you're referring to?  It's pretty darn hard to say anything at all about the New Testament in its multi-book entirety, so perhaps some examples might help things along.

Yeah, I'll PM you a few, I'll have to go back thru the highlighted Bible I've got.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 Teenaged
BladeOfHeaven
Welcome to the union BladeofHeaven. :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 deactivated-5a79221380856

BladeOfHeaven

Hi Blade. I've seen you on OT before and I was wondering what your religious affiliation is.

Welcome to the union.

Forerunner-117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 Forerunner-117
Welcome auron, Gabu and Blade! :D
helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#231 helium_flash
Member since 2007 • 9244 Posts
[QUOTE="GabuEx"]MetalGear_Ninty
What a welcome surprise to have you here.

Hasn't GabuEx been posting here for a while? :?
TenP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#232 TenP
Member since 2006 • 3338 Posts

Welcome to all the noobies!

I've been MIA for quite a while so I'm going to reintroduce myself.

Hi, I'm TenP!

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233 GabuEx

Hasn't GabuEx been posting here for a while? :?helium_flash

Not at this union, no.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234 deactivated-5a79221380856

Hasn't GabuEx been posting here for a while? :?helium_flash

Perhaps you're confusing him with Elraptor, another moderator, who has discussed a few topics on this forum but has yet introduced himself.

Ratfuzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#235 Ratfuzz
Member since 2008 • 399 Posts
I'm Brandon, I'm 15, and from the US. I've been Lutheran all my life, but recently I started thinking very scientifically, and (mostly by accident) reading a lot of things that support atheism. And they all made sense. Whether they be some comic or a long article, I understood where they were all coming from. I started calling myself non-denominational because I realized I really didn't believe most of what organized religion believed. Very recently I realized that I've been thinking extremely agnostically. I think I'll call myself an agnostic, but I felt as if I should join this union.
btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236 btaylor2404
Welcome Brandon, glad you are here.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237 GabuEx

I think I'll call myself an agnostic, but I felt as if I should join this union.Ratfuzz

Contrary to the union title, you don't have to be an atheist to be here. ;) I'm even full-on theist, myself. I think you'll find that everyone here is as respectful as they come.

Ratfuzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238 Ratfuzz

[QUOTE="Ratfuzz"]I think I'll call myself an agnostic, but I felt as if I should join this union.GabuEx

Contrary to the union title, you don't have to be an atheist to be here. ;) I'm even full-on theist, myself. I think you'll find that everyone here is as respectful as they come.

Hehe, yep. Figured that out as soon as I started looking around the boards.

This must be one of those so-called, rare patches of the internet without idiots. This... doesn't seem right... I'm afraid.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239 Teenaged
Welcome ratfuzz. Nice avatar. :)
Ratfuzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240 Ratfuzz
Gracias. Quasi- made it myself.
auron_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241 auron_16
Member since 2008 • 4062 Posts

Teenaged

thank you. and you sure are :D

TenP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242 TenP

Welcome ratfuzz. Nice avatar. :)Teenaged

Totally Agree.

I lurve Scotland. :)

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243 Teenaged
[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

auron_16

thank you. and you sure are :D

Woot! Thanks... :D

I'm the cartoon in your avatar. :P I have all the weapons and powers but I can't get the door open. :(

Ratfuzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244 Ratfuzz

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]Welcome ratfuzz. Nice avatar. :)TenP

Totally Agree.

I lurve Scotland. :)

Scotland?

TenP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245 TenP

Scotland?

Ratfuzz

That's most certainly a Saint Andrew's Cross on your avatar's shirt is it not?

That's the national flag of Scotland. :D

Indecipherable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#246 Indecipherable
Member since 2006 • 46 Posts
Greetings everyone. I'm 19 years old, live in Greece and I'm a second-year Biology student. I was raised in an Orthodox family, but they're not too crazy about religion. Anyway, I decided this whole religion thing just wasn't for me during my highschool years, so now I'm an agnostic. Nice to be here.:D
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247 Teenaged

Greetings everyone. I'm 19 years old, live in Greece and I'm a second-year Biology student. I was raised in an Orthodox family, but they're not too crazy about religion. Anyway, I decided this whole religion thing just wasn't for me during my highschool years, so now I'm an agnostic. Nice to be here.:DIndecipherable

Hey I'm Greek too! :D Καλως Ηρθες! I hope you have a good time here in the A.U.

Indecipherable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248 Indecipherable
Haha.. Well, I kinda saw that coming, too many Socrates and Aristotle quotes gave you away.. :P Then, καλώς σας βρήκα!! :D 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249 deactivated-5a79221380856

The Greeks are taking over. :o

Welcome Indeciperable and nice username.

Indecipherable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250 Indecipherable

1)It's all part of a Greek grand scheme to overtake the A.U. Your time is running out... :twisted:

2)Thanks:D