Member introductions.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

THUMPTABLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#551 THUMPTABLE
Member since 2003 • 2358 Posts
Joined yesterday. I'm an agnostic that goes to a Christian school in Australia. No, Australian Christian schools aren't a fundamentalist as those in American, although there's a lot of Jesus. I'm not the only non-theist at the school, and I know a few teachers who are non-Christians (both privately, of course.)linkthewindow

Welcome aboard, Im in Tassie, what about you?
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#552 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts
Hello and welcome to all the new members here.
chopperdave447

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#553 chopperdave447
Member since 2009 • 597 Posts

Hey Everyone, my name is Summit and i live in Deeeeeetroit, Michigan in the good old USA. 

my parents being from india raised me somewhat hindu, but about 12-13 years old i started to see the inner fallacy with not just that religion but every religion, but i was still pretty weak minded about it until the last year of high school when i realy started to speak out about it. it gave me confidence that surprisingly many people shared my views. 

i believe it is impossible to prove that god does or does not exist, but knowing this FACT, we can either assume:

1. "he" does exist until it is proven that he doesn't.

2. "he" doesn't exist until it is proven that he does.

now as you all know it is IMPOSSIBLE to prove that something doesn't exist, so I go with the second option.

Avatar image for MetalGear_Ninty
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#554 MetalGear_Ninty
Member since 2008 • 6337 Posts

Welcome to the board chopperdave, I've seen you posting around TC, and you seem like a cool poster.

NB: Your sig and avy is awesome. :wink:

Avatar image for RationalAtheist
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#555 RationalAtheist
Member since 2007 • 4428 Posts

Hi Summit - My name is Mike and I live in Eeengerlaaand, the rest of the world.

You seem to have a robust enough argument right there for your thinking. Well put!

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#556 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts

now as you all know it is IMPOSSIBLE to prove that something doesn't exist, so I go with the second option.

chopperdave447

Now, that's not at all true. If, for example, a God was defined as a being that wouldn't permit evil, and there is evil in the world, then God doesn't exist. 

Welcome to the board chopperdave, I've seen you posting around TC, and you seem like a cool poster.

MetalGear_Ninty

I second this wise man's comment, particularly the second line.

RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#557 RationalAtheist
[QUOTE="chopperdave447"]

Genetic_Code

Now, that's not at all true. If, for example, a God was defined as a being that wouldn't permit evil, and there is evil in the world, then God doesn't exist. 

I thought negative proof was a logical fallacy.  

God could still exist, since the definition could be wrong, or evil is not understood.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#559 deactivated-5a79221380856

I thought negative proof was a logical fallacy.  

God could still exist, since the definition could be wrong, or evil is not understood.

RationalAtheist

I've seen that mentioned before, but I disagree with it. You can say that the definition of God or evil could be misunderstood, but then that would apply to normal proof as well, which would mean that any sort of proof is a logical fallacy.

RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#560 RationalAtheist

I've seen that mentioned before, but I disagree with it. You can say that the definition of God or evil could be misunderstood, but then that would apply to normal proof as well, which would mean that any sort of proof is a logical fallacy.

Genetic_Code

In reality, I think you're quite right - the quantum and nature of proof does change with knowledge. But in the abstract sense, I think rationality is bounded by "a priori" and "a posteriori" knowledge. I think disproof runs into the fallacious argument by "affirming the consequent", although there is philosophical wriggle room.

More practically, scientific progress has been made using positive proof only. The list of things that could or couldn't be disproved is endless (extending past Russell's teapot), so disproofs seem meaningless in this context.

D_Battery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#561 D_Battery
Member since 2009 • 2478 Posts

Hi, I just stumbled upon this Union the other day and I thought it might be worth a look. I suppose you could call me an atheist for lack of a better word, but I don't much care for labels. I was raised in an atheist household and I've never felt any inclination towards spirituality - I don't know what lies beyond my limited understanding of the world, and frankly I don't really have any interest in figuring it out either, at least not at the moment.

I don't believe in much of anything, be it religious or ideological, and lately I've been doubting my understanding of almost everything. Seeing that mathematics can rationally explain things which are farther and farther removed from reality, I've grown doubtful of even rational deduction as a means of understanding. I've lost interest in philosophy and most of academia, and I'm very lazy when it comes to research, but if on occasion I have an insight or two, I might stop by here and share. Anyhoo, see you around.

MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#562 MetalGear_Ninty

Hi, I just stumbled upon this Union the other day and I thought it might be worth a look. I suppose you could call me an atheist for lack of a better word, but I don't much care for labels. I was raised in an atheist household and I've never felt any inclination towards spirituality - I don't know what lies beyond my limited understanding of the world, and frankly I don't really have any interest in figuring it out either, at least not at the moment.

I don't believe in much of anything, be it religious or ideological, and lately I've been doubting my understanding of almost everything. Seeing that mathematics can rationally explain things which are farther and farther removed from reality, I've grown doubtful of even rational deduction as a means of understanding. I've lost interest in philosophy and most of academia, and I'm very lazy when it comes to research, but if on occasion I have an insight or two, I might stop by here and share. Anyhoo, see you around.

D_Battery

Welcome to the union. I've seen you posting around OT, and I'm glad you've decided to post.:D

As for your scepticism, can't you find some ultimate comfort in mathematics; isn't that a source of absolute knowledge that cannot be doubted?

D_Battery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#563 D_Battery
Member since 2009 • 2478 Posts
Welcome to the union. I've seen you posting around OT, and I'm glad you've decided to post.:D

As for your scepticism, can't you find some ultimate comfort in mathematics; isn't that a source of absolute knowledge that cannot be doubted?

MetalGear_Ninty

I really don't know. It seems to make sense in my mind (with what limited knowledge of it I possess) but I'm not sure if that's really the best yardstick for measuring a things certainty. I'm a bit apprehensive of anything "absolute".

chopperdave447

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#564 chopperdave447
Member since 2009 • 597 Posts
[QUOTE="chopperdave447"]

Genetic_Code

MetalGear_Ninty

1. thx

2. all you have done is proven that a god who does not permit evil does not exist in a world with evil in it.

i would like conclusive proof that there is evil in the world along with a complete and unchallenged definition of evil.

(just a hint here there is no such thing as evil. morals are relative.)

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#565 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts
Welcome guys!
iowastate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#566 iowastate
Member since 2004 • 7922 Posts

the name is Jim and hello to those of you who already know me and good to meet the rest of you.  waves.

I am one of the GS father figures.

I am not an athiest by any means but I do have an open mind.

In my younger days I spent some time in a Franciscan retreat - I was  considering the priesthood..

fortunately for the church I did not choose that line of work.

while with the Air Force I met a girl in Korea and became Buddhist for a time.

neither decision worked in the long run but I do not regret either one.

I firmly believe that all religions have part of the truth and no religion has all of the truth.

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#567 domatron23
Nice to have you here iowatate. Sounds like you have a very varied background.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#568 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts
[QUOTE="Genetic_Code"][QUOTE="chopperdave447"]

chopperdave447

MetalGear_Ninty

1. thx

2. all you have done is proven that a god who does not permit evil does not exist in a world with evil in it.

i would like conclusive proof that there is evil in the world along with a complete and unchallenged definition of evil.

(just a hint here there is no such thing as evil. morals are relative.)

So you want proof of evil and then you say that evil doesnt exist. What's the point then?

Ok lets say a god who is "fair" cannot exist in a world where there is plenty of inequality. mmkay?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#569 deactivated-5a79221380856
Welcome Jim. What happened to that Buddhist girl? Did you ever get married to the girl or anything? Sorry for the questions. You seem to have an interesting background.
iowastate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#570 iowastate

Welcome Jim. What happened to that Buddhist girl? Did you ever get married to the girl or anything? Sorry for the questions. You seem to have an interesting background.Genetic_Code

thank you, Jim.  There were moments.   And while things didn't work out quite the way I expected I am satisfied.

yes we did marry.

I had been interested in the girl and Buddhism for a time so I embraced both of them:P       This also involved South Korean politics - her daddy was a military adjutant to one of the Generals involved in the assassination of President Park.   

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#571 ghoklebutter
Good to see you here. ^_^
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#572 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts
iowastate...? Another BCS hater? :D Welcome to the union, always good to see a new member! :)
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#573 MetalGear_Ninty
iowastate...? Another BCS hater? :D Welcome to the union, always good to see a new member! :)ChiliDragon
BCS?
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#574 ChiliDragon
[QUOTE="ChiliDragon"]iowastate...? Another BCS hater? :D Welcome to the union, always good to see a new member! :)MetalGear_Ninty
BCS?

Bowl Championship System. It's the ranking system that the US college football conferences and leagues use to rank the conferences in order of best to worst, and teams as well. (College sports are huge in the US.) Some conferences are ranked "BCS" which means they get automatic invites to the bowl games at the end of each season, and they get way more money from the system. Since they also are considered the best conferences, their teams automatically rank higher, giving them an advantage before the season even starts. The rankings are decided by a combination of a mathematical formula that takes various factors into account, such as how good the school's conference is, how good their scheduled opponents are, and how decisively they win. A complete blow-out against a cream puff team ranks lower than losing at the wire to an acknowledged power house. the ranking at the end of the season decides who gets to play for the National Championship, and it is always controversial. According to recent surveys, 90% of college football fans disagree with this system, but because of the way it works, it's extremely difficult to change. Basically a large number of very influential schools would have to give up significant amounts of revenue and political power for the change to happen... a change would make the pie much bigger, but the most powerful ones would get smaller slices, so they are against it. And they are the powerful ones. Last season's ranking can be found here. Rank is decided by a few polls, with coaches and experts voting for who they think is the best, and the BCS computers calculating who should go where. Last season, the teams ranked 1 and 2 faced off in a fight for the National Championship title. A couple of teams ranked below them had a better season record, in fact the teams ranked 4 and 6 went undefeated through the season, however, since they won against teams that were considered "guaranteed wins" they didn't get any credit for it, and the fans of both schools feel the system screwed them over. They claim that since no power house school wants to play them, (or even reply to emails and phonecalls they make to various school literally begging for an away game they won't take any money for!), they can't increase their schedule status, and they claim they shouldn't be punished for the fact that really powerful schools lack the cojones to take them on. One of them is stuck in a conference ranked extremely low, but unable to leave it since the surrounding conferences don't want to invite a highly ranked team into their midst, since a high rank means the newcomer would be entitled to more money than several conference old-timers, not to mention the newcomer would take a lot of the best recruits. It's a Catch 22 of the worst kind. No one likes it, and no one can make it go away. As you might have guessed, my school is not among the ones favored by the BCS ranking system... :D
iowastate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#575 iowastate

iowastate...? Another BCS hater? :D Welcome to the union, always good to see a new member! :)ChiliDragon

good to see you, Chili - have noticed you on the forums.

I posted about BCS in a sports forum awhile back.

It is an imperfect system but probably will be what we are stuck with because a playoff would interfere wiith school and midterms even more than the football season already does.

it is  hard to believe but the administrators are starting to consider the education of the athletes to be more important than the football season :o

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#576 ChiliDragon
I don't usually post in the "public" Gamespot forums, though I occasionally lurk in them this is pretty much the only one I post in. I was posting in the sports forum during College Football season though. :)
iowastate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#577 iowastate

I have been here a long time and I do remember your profile name from OT I believe, could be sports though.

I am in System Wars also.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#578 ChiliDragon
I posted in OT for a while, a long time ago... that's how I found the Atheism Union. I like it better here though, for a number of reasons. :)
iowastate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#579 iowastate

Been spending time on all the boards from time to time over the years.   they are always around and I have started a few unions and been in quite a few that were fun for  awhile but they after a year or two the best of them always seem to go MIA and die off.

right now I  also enjoy  the Fallout3 and Oblivion Union

jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#580 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts

Hi all AU members. :) I've been skirting the unions on GS for a while and thought I'd finally join the AU and find out what happens here.

Since getting trolled pretty hard by one OTer (his usernname begins with some letters and ends with a bunch of numbers ;)) I try to keep my private life to myself around these parts. Still, maybe a bit about my background's important to where I'm coming from:

There's no one clear thread in my family history; geographically and culturally, we're really from all over the place. I was brought up with one fairly traditional Catholic parent and one Dutch protestant parent and maybe that's why I ended up defaulting to atheism.

I wouldn't consider myself a hardcore atheist (I'm not going to go around attacking random posters for their beliefs or anything), I've just never seen any need for a God to make sense of things, and I think people are perfectly capable of being moral without religion or the feeling that they're putting off living until the afterlife.

Anyway, I don't know how much posting I'll be doing here because I generally feel a bit clueless and out of my depth in religious debates on OT, but I'm hoping to have some of those stubborn ideas that are likely lurking around the back of my mind challenged, and I'm looking forward to playing devil's advocate a bit too.
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#581 ghoklebutter
Hi jimmyjammer69! I've seen you a lot in OT.
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#582 domatron23
Hey jimmy, happy to have you here.
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#583 ChiliDragon
Hi all AU members. :) I've been skirting the unions on GS for a while and thought I'd finally join the AU and find out what happens here. jimmyjammer69
We're plotting to take over the world. If you behave, we'll let you be on our side when we start putting things in motion. :P Welcome to the AU! :)
chandu83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#584 chandu83
Member since 2005 • 4864 Posts

My name is Chandu, and I live in the US.

I've been semi religious for most part of my teens, and then I started questioning things, and now I don't believe in religion at all, and as for the existence of god, I don't know. 

I totally believe that religion in spite of all the good that it has done, is bad for humanity, simply because it promotes superstition and hate among people. 

I completely oppose any religion that says "Convert or you are going to hell." 

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#585 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts
Welcome. :)
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#586 ChiliDragon
My name is Chandu, and I live in the US.chandu83
Hi Chandu! Welcome to the union :)
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#587 ghoklebutter
Welcome, Chandu!
Avatar image for blazingsaddle95
blazingsaddle95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#588 blazingsaddle95
Member since 2009 • 2605 Posts
Hey, I'm blazingsaddle95. I'm new to Atheism and just decided that I am one the other day, but I'm a strong believer in it. I'm a big fan of First Person Shooters, The Simpsons, Classic and Modern Rock Music, Batman, and I'm really looking forward to Red Dead Redemption
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#589 ChiliDragon
Hey, I'm blazingsaddle95. I'm new to Atheism and just decided that I am one the other day, but I'm a strong believer in it. I'm a big fan of First Person Shooters, The Simpsons, Classic and Modern Rock Music, Batman, and I'm really looking forward to Red Dead Redemptionblazingsaddle95
"He rode a blazing saddle, he wore a shining staaaaar! His job to offer battle, to bad men near and far!" Welcome to the AU :)
Swamphell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#590 Swamphell
Member since 2009 • 1780 Posts
I have not believed in God for almost my whole life but would like to learn a little more about religions in general. If I could find out where/who should I start with about looking into Atheism it would be appreciated?

I listen to a lot of metal music. Favorite movie is Fight Club but I mostly like horror movies. I watch the History Channel alot too.

I have a question that I have to ask but will after I get to know this union a little.:D

Rikusaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#591 Rikusaki
Member since 2006 • 16634 Posts
Hi. I like not believing in god.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#592 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts
Welcome to you both. :)
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#593 domatron23

If I could find out where/who should I start with about looking into Atheism it would be appreciated?Swamphell

We either do not believe that God exists or believe that God does not exist. It's not too complicated really.

Really though if you want a quick start check out the atheist videos thread we have stickied up on the board. There are a whole lot of excellent videos in there along with a list of the best atheist channels on youtube.

If you're looking for a read then I'm sure you have plenty of options. I personally haven't read many atheistic books, in fact the only one that I can think of is Dawkin's God Delusion. It's an interesting read and very accessible to a "beginner" atheist or theist. The best reading can be done right here in this union though. You can go over some of our past topics or start one of your own to get some opinions about any issue.

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#594 domatron23

Hi. I like not believing in god.Rikusaki

Hey rikusaki, good to see you here.

Swamphell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#595 Swamphell
Member since 2009 • 1780 Posts

Really though if you want a quick start check out the atheist videos thread we have stickied up on the board. There are a whole lot of excellent videos in there along with a list of the best atheist channels on youtube.

domatron23

Somehow I overlooked that thread.:P

There is alot of videos there:D, you might not hear from me in the coming days. I will read over some pass discussions after I watch some videos.

RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#596 RationalAtheist
[QUOTE="domatron23"]

Swamphell

Somehow I overlooked that thread.:P

There is alot of videos there:D, you might not hear from me in the coming days. I will read over some pass discussions after I watch some videos.

Please keep an eye on the threads in this board and don't forget that your contributions there are welcomed too.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#597 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

Hi. I like not believing in god.Rikusaki
Riku, you have already introduced yourself in this union! :P

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#598 ChiliDragon
What on earth happened to your avatar!?!? :shock:
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#599 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts
What on earth happened to your avatar!?!? :shock:ChiliDragon
My T's are shapeshifting!
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#600 ChiliDragon
[QUOTE="ChiliDragon"]What on earth happened to your avatar!?!? :shock:Teenaged
My T's are shapeshifting!

Are you sure? Maybe they're just evolving?