Member introductions.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#451 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts
Hi and welcome!
lazyhoboguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#452 lazyhoboguy
Member since 2007 • 1692 Posts

Hi my name is Scott and I am 20. I just left a dead union I was in so could join another. Thought I would try this one out. I stumbled upon the photo album thing here awhile back and had some laughs from that.

I went to Catholic school from preschool to 12th grade. My parents are catholic. Even as a kid I was skeptical of the stuff I was being taught and did not really believe the whole thing of eating bread was eating Jesus. As I got to high school and could think for myself more I realized that all religions do not make sense and that their is surely no god like the Christian one who supposedly is obsessed with every aspect of our lives.I just thought about how there are a lot of religions, which all believe they are right and know how things work, obviously they can't all be right, so how can one religion claim to know that they are?So, I considered myself an agnostic for awhile ( I did not think anyone could know how the universe was created and things worked). Reading Dawkin's "The God Delusion" made me realize that I really was just an atheist, since all atheists cannot know 100 percent that there is no god, but the odds are way higher than 50/50 for god not existing. 

I also believe that people should be free to believe whatever they wish, as long as their beliefs do not cause negative affects on me.

But yea that is some of my beliefs.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#453 ChiliDragon
Hi Scott! Welcome to the Atheism Union :)
kellymae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#454 kellymae
Member since 2005 • 878 Posts
Hello. My name is Kelly. I am an Atheist. I started questioning the likelyhood of a god at a very young age. I was about 5. I remember distinctly the first conversation my father and I had about it as my mother was losing her mind that I had just embarrased her terribly at the church she had dragged me to. I did this by asking the priest if he was out of his mind. I then whispered loudly to my mother that this person was crazy. She smacked me and I said, but mommy, he says there is an invisible man in the sky that watches us. She smacked me again. But mommy, he said that god looks after us. The priest then said let her speak and I said if there is a god, why does so much bad stuff happen. Then the priest started to tell me and I shook my head and said I was going home. Our farm was not far from the church. Then i went home and started to tell my dad what I did and then mom came home determined to beat belief into my butt I think.
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#455 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts
G'day Kevin Scott and Kelly, welcome aboard.
btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#456 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts

Welcome Scott, glad to have you here.

@kellymae, you must post more!  I've yet to read a wasted sentence in a blog or post from you, very glad to have you join us!

lazyhoboguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#457 lazyhoboguy

@kellymae I had a similar experience when I was in church as a kid. I was at a catholic school so we had to go to mass as a class once a month. One mass the priest was trying to connect to the younger kids by asking them what they did not like about church. One kid said he didn't like having to sit so long. Another kid said something like he didn't like how long it was. Then I raised my hand and said I just don't really like anything about it at all. The priest didn't respond to me and just went on to the next kid. I was a little kid at this time so I did not realize I had upset them. On the walk back from the church to the school the prinicpal of the school walked up to me and she said "why don't you come to my office so we can discuss what you said in church". I was young so as expected I feared/hated the principal and I just decided not to show up because I did not think I did anything wrong. She never came to make me talk to her after too.

Another reason why I started realizing that there was no god was seeing the bad things in the world too. I mean in my opinion with all the terrible stuff that happens to people every day, if there is a god he has really sick sense of humor and is a humongous jerk.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#458 ChiliDragon
I was about 5. I remember distinctly the first conversation my father and I had about it as my mother was losing her mind that I had just embarrased her terribly at the church she had dragged me to. I did this by asking the priest if he was out of his mind. I then whispered loudly to my mother that this person was crazy. She smacked me and I said, but mommy, he says there is an invisible man in the sky that watches us. She smacked me again. But mommy, he said that god looks after us. The priest then said let her speak and I said if there is a god, why does so much bad stuff happen. Then the priest started to tell me and I shook my head and said I was going home. Our farm was not far from the church. Then i went home and started to tell my dad what I did and then mom came home determined to beat belief into my butt I think. kellymae
Um, I am not actually trying to offend your mother here, but that is a great example of really bad parenting... never, ever smack a child forasking intelligent questions! Ew. Ahem. Um, sorry about that. Welcome to the union! And I agree with btaylor, get posting! :)
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#460 domatron23
Gidday android it's nice to see you over here after reading through the mormon thread in the CU. Nice to have another member with a different viewpoint, I'm sure the members here will gain a lot out of any of your contributions.
btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#461 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
Welcome Android/Tyler, great to have you here.
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#462 ChiliDragon
Welcome! I think... hm... let me think here... no, I think you might be the first mormon here. Great! The more different viewpoints, the merrier we will be. My spellchecker in Firefox doesn't know the word "mormon"... it suggested instead that I use the word "moron"...! :D :D I apologize for my rude spellchecker, and I have now taught it better manners! :)
kaze347

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#463 kaze347
Member since 2006 • 1270 Posts
Hey guys, I'm Colby. My GS username is KAZE, please don't mistake it for KRAZE. Lol now that thats finished, I am from the US, more specifically I am now living in Tennessee (the bible belt), about halfway through my high school life I started questioning religion and finding people to have good socratic dialogue on the subject with. I used to go to church a lot with my grandmother who recently passed away. My grandparents were very religious and had a job cleaning houses for other elderly people they knew. They didn't have a lot of money but they managed to make ends meet. They always gave to the church and attened when they could and even got internet and a computer with streaming sunday morning services as a priority. The fact that they managed to live and be fairly healthy without ever stepping foot in a doctors office at their age (with the exception of my grandfather who had a tumor behind his ear, he had it remoed once but it came back and is still there today, though recently plans of removing it again have being talked over by my family, since I'm no longer in the state it isn't my concern apparently) anyways watching their lives and how they worship mixed with my beliefs led me to the reality that there is no God or Heaven or Hell or Satan or any of that mumbo jumbo. Two other things attributing to my beliefs was my dad dying of suicide when I was 12 (I won't go into detail, as my post is already long and the forum seems somewhat upbeat) and also my biggest question being, how can every religion be right ? Thats about it for an introduction and I hope to be welcomed as warmly as the other members of this awesome union !
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#464 domatron23

Hi there colby it's great to have another member here who's familiar with the Socratic technique. I hope you have a fun and thought provoking time here.

Don't hesitate to make a topic about the mutual exclusivity of the worlds religions or your dad's suicide. You'll get a good mature discussion going I'm sure.

TerrorToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#465 TerrorToaster
Member since 2009 • 207 Posts
I'm the toaster of terror and...I'm trying to wonder how a few outlandish statements overhaul every scientific discovery ever.
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#466 ChiliDragon
I'm the toaster of terror and...I'm trying to wonder how a few outlandish statements overhaul every scientific discovery ever.TerrorToaster
Simple: They don't. :P Welcome to the union! :)
Bentham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#467 Bentham
Member since 2008 • 1154 Posts

Hello all.

I'm an atheist after being a long time Protestant Christian. I'm not ashamed of it at all, and I've told my brain-washed family, and they didn't take to kindly to it. I'm a second year Bioengineer student at the University of California, Riverside, and it's perfectly fine being an Atheist here. 

I became an Atheist last year after laughing at the notion of a God sitting in heaven listening to the murmurs of the people throughout the world, and watching people suffer without doing anything. Additionally, as a man of science, I find that the Bible contradicts what is real and true in the physical world. There are trillions and trillions of galaxies with innumerable planets--it is highy improbable that our planet would be the only planet to receive the "true religion," so those claiming that their religion is truth should kindly shut up. 

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#468 ChiliDragon
Welcome to the union! I'm one of the brainwashed members. :)
lazyhoboguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#469 lazyhoboguy
welcome bentham. Also, how did you get your username to show up in a different color?
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#470 domatron23
Hello there Bentham and Mr toaster. Hope you both have a good time here in this union.
Avatar image for MatrixSamurai27
MatrixSamurai27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#471 MatrixSamurai27
Member since 2003 • 198 Posts
Hello, I'm MatrixSamurai27 (although I'd rather be Namaste950, but GS won't let you change usernames). I'm a Christian because I think it's true based on evidence. I love debating people who are civil and truth-seeking. I have little patience with the idea that Christian faith isn't based on evidence (I mean that the New Testament teaches this is why Christians should have faith. Whether the evidence offered is satisfactory or not is, of course, up for debate) whether a Christian or non-Christian is spouting it out. Paul, the writer of half the New Testament, didn't say it for nothing in the New Testament itself that Christians shouldn't be Christians if Jesus didn't actually rise from the dead.
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#472 ChiliDragon
We already met in another thread, but that aside... welcome to the Atheism union! :)
Bentham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#473 Bentham
Thanks guys.
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#474 domatron23
Hey there MatrixSamurai27. Good to have another Christian in the ranks.
Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#475 Lansdowne5
Member since 2008 • 6015 Posts

I became an Atheist last year after laughing at the notion of a God sitting in heaven listening to the murmurs of the people throughout the world, and watching people suffer without doing anything.

Bentham

Might. Want. To. Read. This.

Bentham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#476 Bentham
[QUOTE="Bentham"]

I became an Atheist last year after laughing at the notion of a God sitting in heaven listening to the murmurs of the people throughout the world, and watching people suffer without doing anything.

Lansdowne5

Might. Want. To. Read. http://www.gotquestions.org/innocent-suffer.html" title="http://www.gotquestions.org/innocent-suffer.html">This.

Thank You, but that doesn't answer my question. Additionally, it leaves me to wonder why God would murder thousands upon thousands in the Old Testament. It also seems silly to refer to him as a loving God, when he is in fact, portrayed in a capricious manner. Anyways, I don't want to stray off topic for the sake of this thread. 

Avatar image for itsTolkien_time
itsTolkien_time

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#477 itsTolkien_time
Member since 2009 • 2295 Posts

Hi, you can call me itsTolkien, and to start it all off, I'm atheist. I am rather young, (i will not tell you how old ;) ) but I occasionally like a nice discussionon the topic, and after reading through the forum board I see that you all seem like the nice, considerate people that I would like to discuss this with. 

My parents were and are slightly religious, although not to any real extent, and I have always leaned toward atheism/agnosticism.

I will try to keep my posts on this board as simple as possible, as I believe that helps in having closer, more understandable and relatable discussions. No need to overcomplicate anything.

I  attempt to consider all points of view, and I hope you do not discount me for my age ;) .

I look forward to good experiences in this union.

_Tobli_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#478 _Tobli_
Member since 2007 • 5733 Posts

Welcome to the union its_tolkientime. I hope you will enjoy your stay.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#479 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

Hi there, itsTolkien. :)

A fellow Tolkien fan I suppose. :D

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#480 ChiliDragon

Hi there, itsTolkien. :)

A fellow Tolkien fan I suppose. :D

Teenaged
Since my grand plans on a Theist Take-Over have been crushed by Sun-Tzu's evil military genius, I have a new idea! A Tolkien-Fan Take-Over...! First order of business: To establish once and for all, in no uncertain terms, that The Lord of the Rings is far superior to any one of the Harry Potter books. All who disagree will be fed to the Balrog. Welcome to the union, it'sTolkien! :)
itsTolkien_time

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#481 itsTolkien_time

You know, Rowling writes well for a modern author, the Harry Potter books are enjoyable and interesting, creating a world I would not mind living in (I have read all seven).

But in terms of greatness, depth, and meaning, Tolkien crushes them.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#482 ChiliDragon

But in terms of greatness, depth, and meaning, Tolkien crushes them.

itsTolkien_time
My point exactly. :) Rowling writes sufficiently well. Her editor was sub-par and the later books badly needed good editing ;)
Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#483 Lansdowne5
Member since 2008 • 6015 Posts

Her editor was sub-par and the later books badly needed good editing ;)ChiliDragon

What makes you say that?

Avatar image for bean-with-bacon
bean-with-bacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#484 bean-with-bacon
Member since 2008 • 2134 Posts

First order of business: To establish once and for all, in no uncertain terms, that The Lord of the Rings is far superior to any one of the Harry Potter books. All who disagree will be fed to the Balrog. ChiliDragon

Pfft, A Song of Ice and Fire is better then both of them. :P

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#485 ChiliDragon

[QUOTE="ChiliDragon"]Her editor was sub-par and the later books badly needed good editing ;)Lansdowne5

What makes you say that?

I made a post in a thread in OT about it recently. :) I think my main point was that if we were to compare it to a video game, very few of us would have played more than half of all the side-quests, if even that. There are way too many side-quests and subplots that do nothing to further the main story and too much "fluff" that is there just to be there. Only that Rowling's editor should have nipped these tendencies in the bud around book four or so, and prevented the later books from becoming as rambling and unfocused as they did. I'm not saying the books are not enjoyable to read. They're just not very skillfully written or adequately edited. @bean-with-bacon That may be, but that's not relevant. What's important is that Tolkien > Rowling :P
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#486 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

Since my grand plans on a Theist Take-Over have been crushed by Sun-Tzu's evil military genius, I have a new idea! A Tolkien-Fan Take-Over...! First order of business: To establish once and for all, in no uncertain terms, that The Lord of the Rings is far superior to any one of the Harry Potter books. All who disagree will be fed to the Balrog. Welcome to the union, it'sTolkien! :)ChiliDragon
Sounds like a plan! :)

Maybe we should add the question "Do you believe that The Lord of the Rings is far superior than other works of fiction?" in the "Is there an atheistic dogma" thread. :P

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#487 ChiliDragon

[QUOTE="ChiliDragon"] Since my grand plans on a Theist Take-Over have been crushed by Sun-Tzu's evil military genius, I have a new idea! A Tolkien-Fan Take-Over...! First order of business: To establish once and for all, in no uncertain terms, that The Lord of the Rings is far superior to any one of the Harry Potter books. All who disagree will be fed to the Balrog. Welcome to the union, it'sTolkien! :)Teenaged

Sounds like a plan! :)

Maybe we should add the question "Do you believe that The Lord of the Rings is far superior than other works of fiction?" in the "Is there an atheistic dogma" thread. :P

An excellent plan! And then we can test the depth of their devotion by asking them to translate a couple of phrases in Quenya... :P
itsTolkien_time

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#488 itsTolkien_time
A zetta good plan, i think.
Maqda7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#489 Maqda7
Member since 2008 • 3299 Posts
Hello all, i'm 17 and I live in Jordan in the middle east. I have been an athiest for the past 3 years. I honestly can't remember why I became an athiest, I just believe in this that are logical and rational and God isn't rational nor logical. I look forward to getting to know all of you :)
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#490 domatron23
Hey Maqda7 nice to have someone here from the middle east (we like fresh perspectves). Some theists state that without God logic is impossible although of course I disagree on that point. Welcome to the union and feel free to make any topics of your own.
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#491 ChiliDragon
Hi and welcome to the union! :)
Maqda7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#492 Maqda7
Member since 2008 • 3299 Posts

Hey Maqda7 nice to have someone here from the middle east (we like fresh perspectves). Some theists state that without God logic is impossible although of course I disagree on that point. Welcome to the union and feel free to make any topics of your own.domatron23
Hi and welcome to the union! :)ChiliDragon

Thank you both :)

itsTolkien_time

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#493 itsTolkien_time
Welcome to the union! I'm looking forward to talking with you, if I can ind time away from school, that is...
twilightpanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#494 twilightpanda
Member since 2008 • 10607 Posts
hello everybody :D
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points