Member introductions.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#601 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

[QUOTE="Teenaged"][QUOTE="ChiliDragon"]What on earth happened to your avatar!?!? :shock:ChiliDragon
My T's are shapeshifting!

Are you sure? Maybe they're just evolving?

Meh, I saw how they were looking at my intelligently designed plans, with clear disapproval.

They can have their... evolution. Bleh!

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#602 FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts

Hey guys, my name is Aaron and I'm a badass.

Really though, I didn't see my invitation to the Atheism Union for quite some time, let alone knowing such a union existed.

Anyway, as of right now I am a steadfast Roman Catholic. I am very lucky to be one simply because I am an incredibly bad person. Unfortunately, most of the time, I'm a Catholic simply out of rationality, as opposed to being one out of love. It's absolutely contradictory but it's true. Rationality, you say? How can that be? Well, here's a little something: Jesus said that people will more likely accept you and your beliefs if you show them through action, not through preaching. When people ask me about my beliefs concerning the world, I am able to give them sound reason. However, I am also likely to have an affair with their partner if they're cute enough. You think that guy will think twice about converting to Christianity after my little dance with the devil? Not at all. It's people like me who unfortunately give Christians a bad name.

There are a lot of other personal revelations to me, but as said, they are personal. Public revelation lived and died with the first and last apostles of Jesus, so anyone trying to convince you with modern miracles is exercising futility. As Jesus essentially said to the disbelievers in John 5, if you don't believe in his testimony now, how can you believe in his testimony ever?  

I have studied philosophy and theology since the beginning of high school, and if it weren't for my idiotic choice to study, get bored with, and subsequently quit my film major (It's too easy and second nature to me), I would have finished my philosophy/theology degree by the end of this year. I will pursue a degree in philosophy/theology later in life, but for now, doing it as a hobby will have to suffice.

Anyway, that's my beliefs in a nutshell. 

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#603 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts
Welcome to the union, FrozenLiquid.
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#604 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts
Hey frozenliquid. It's great to have another theist around here (I'm not certain but I think you're the first Catholic we've had) and a fellow student of philosophy on top of that. Welcome to the union.
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#605 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts
Hey frozenliquid. It's great to have another theist around here (I'm not certain but I think you're the first Catholic we've had) and a fellow student of philosophy on top of that. Welcome to the union.domatron23
I remember we had a very active Catholic member back when I first joined, but I don't remember where he went off to. Hi frozenliquid! :) I was raised Swedish Lutheran, which means that a few hundred years ago my ancestors spent a lot of energy and resources doing their best to wipe your ancestors from the face of Europe. (We also looted and plundered a lot of their wealth in the process. Quite by accident, I'm sure.) Welcome to the union. Don't mind the pitchforks. :twisted: Kidding, kidding... I have today off work and it puts me in a strange mood. It's going to be great to have another theist here, since there are so many different kinds of theism that having only one or two sides represented can never give the full picture. So once again, welcome. :)
Avatar image for RationalAtheist
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#606 RationalAtheist
Member since 2007 • 4428 Posts

Hi FrozenLiquid,

I admit I got a bit lost during the rationalism = catholicism bit, but welcome aboard nonetheless.

michaelP4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#607 michaelP4
Member since 2004 • 16681 Posts
Hi, I am Michael, and I live in Northern Ireland. I used to be a Protestant (as I was raised as one), but whenever I first read the Bible for myself (due to my interest in Christianity), I found it was not what I had expected. It just didn't seem to be what I believed, and the more I read it, the more my faith weakened, until one day, it had vanished. I remember being quite scared when I realised it happened, as I thought perhaps I was being mislead away from God. I wasn't sure what was happening, but I accepted it and increasingly became more confident about the transition I was experiencing. Eventually, I recognised and declared myself to be an atheist. I found I was happier, and everything that didn't make sense to me about my faith couldn't have been anymore clearer. :)
dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#608 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16026 Posts
Hello, Michael. Thanks for stopping by. I hope that you enjoy your time here! :)
FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#609 FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts

Hi FrozenLiquid,

I admit I got a bit lost during the rationalism = catholicism bit, but welcome aboard nonetheless.

RationalAtheist

The difference between Catholics and *most* non-Catholics Christians is that as much as we are about faith in God, we are also want to know him through sound reason. If God is True, and reason is knowledge of the Truth, then we should be able to know God through reason. That is rationality.

The error many people commit is that they believe rationality is prescribed by any one belief tract. No, as much as it is true to be an irrational theist, it is also true to be an irrational atheist.

"I don't believe in God"

"Why?"

"I like this cheeseburger"

That would of course be irrational. Catholicism is distinct from other denominations of Christianity because of its many doctrines, based firstly on revelation (faith), then by reason. Firstly by revelation because if God's revelation is True, then we should be able to understand this revelation through human reason. That's a rational proposition in and of itself :P.

Nevertheless, it doesn't amount to much in the grand scheme of things. As I always say, you can't think your way to heaven! 

RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#610 RationalAtheist
[QUOTE="RationalAtheist"]

Hi FrozenLiquid,

FrozenLiquid

The difference between Catholics and *most* non-Catholics Christians is that as much as we are about faith in God, we are also want to know him through sound reason. If God is True, and reason is knowledge of the Truth, then we should be able to know God through reason. That is rationality.

The error many people commit is that they believe rationality is prescribed by any one belief tract. No, as much as it is true to be an irrational theist, it is also true to be an irrational atheist.

"I don't believe in God"

"Why?"

"I like this cheeseburger"

That would of course be irrational. Catholicism is distinct from other denominations of Christianity because of its many doctrines, based firstly on revelation (faith), then by reason. Firstly by revelation because if God's revelation is True, then we should be able to understand this revelation through human reason. That's a rational proposition in and of itself :P.

Nevertheless, it doesn't amount to much in the grand scheme of things. As I always say, you can't think your way to heaven!

I think you misconstrue what rationalism is. Rationalism is a method of understanding which relies on deduction. Subsuming such a method to be underneath "revelation" is in itself irrational.

I guess you realise this by your final sentence.

12thArcane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#611 12thArcane
Member since 2011 • 102 Posts

Wow, this union doesn't have much activity since... forever...

Anyway, nice to meet you all... I'm 21 years old, I study engineering and consider myself to be agnostic... I guess that's all...

Regards...

RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#612 RationalAtheist

Anyway, nice to meet you all... I'm 21 years old, I study engineering and consider myself to be agnostic... I guess that's all...

Regards...

12thArcane

Hi 12thArcane...

Pleased to meet you...

This place is not as deserted as you might think...

Why not join the fun by registering your interest for an upcoming formal discussion? The most recent threads here explain the procedure, although I must admit I have no idea when or if these formal discussions will start.

12thArcane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#613 12thArcane
Member since 2011 • 102 Posts
[QUOTE="12thArcane"]

Regards...

RationalAtheist

Hi 12thArcane...

Pleased to meet you...

This place is not as deserted as you might think...

Why not join the fun by registering your interest for an upcoming formal discussion? The most recent threads here explain the procedure, although I must admit I have no idea when or if these formal discussions will start.

Thnx for your prompt welcome... I will check these upcoming formal discussions then...

Amnesiac23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 2

#614 Amnesiac23
Member since 2006 • 8470 Posts
Glad I found this union!
My name is Cassie. I'm 21, working on a B.A. in History and preparing for my marriage to my fiancee Michael (who is also atheist). Around the age of 12 I began to question my faith in god and at the age of 16 I nearly lost my life and had amnesia for a month, all due to a doctors mistake. Around this time I started to question religion even more. I had many questions and eventually came to the conclusion that religion held none of the answers to them. Eventually I began to read books by Richard Dawkins and realized that science was the only rational path towards understanding anything.
Now I live my life knowing that this is my one life and I want to live it to it's fullest.
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#615 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts

Hi Cassie.

My name is Dominic, I'm 22 years old and my BA is a year behind me having graduated with majors in English and philosophy. Currently I'm teaching Middle school English in South Korea and I'm in a relationship with a lovely Christian girl. It's very interesting to hear that you nearly died and that it pushed you away from religion rather than closer, as it does with many people.

Welcome to the union.

RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#616 RationalAtheist

Hi Cassie,

I'm Mike, 44 and married. Are you thinking of having a humanist wedding cermony to your Mike? (I did to my wife!)

I assume you are from the UK... I hope you saw Richard Dawkins on (live) Sunday TV recently (also on BBCi) in "The Big Questions", arguing if the bible was still relevant. Nicky Campbell hosted the disussion with a bishop, selected other people of faith and audience too. (4 days left on demand...) I found it quite engrossing.

Welcome to the union!

Amnesiac23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#617 Amnesiac23

Hi Cassie,

I'm Mike, 44 and married. Are you thinking of having a humanist wedding cermony to your Mike? (I did to my wife!)

I assume you are from the UK... I hope you saw Richard Dawkins on (live) Sunday TV recently (also on BBCi) in "The Big Questions", arguing if the bible was still relevant. Nicky Campbell hosted the disussion with a bishop, selected other people of faith and audience too. (4 days left on demand...) I found it quite engrossing.

Welcome to the union!

RationalAtheist

Actually, I'm from South Carolina in the US (the so called Bible Belt). His family doesn't know that he is atheist yet, but we want to have a humanist wedding. Currently we are trying to figure out an easy way to break the news to them, but I'm beginning to suspect there is no easy way to do this because his family is very religious.

I love watching the BBCi, but I some how managed to miss it. :( He is amazing to hear live. Michael was agnostic before we saw Dawkins lecture live here in SC. While waiting to get "The Greatest Show on Earth" and "The God Delusion" signed, we got to talk to other athiests and humanists in our home town. This was eye opening for him to see that there were so many others like him. Here in the Bible Belt, it's easy to feel like you are alone and threatened. I've even had my life threatened when someone I didn't even know found out I was atheist. In the Columbia SC area alone, there are close to 600 churches. This is why both of us now try to find ways to talk to other atheists...and the only way to do this is usually through the internet. :) He is part of GameSpot, so I will make sure to let him know about this union. 

Amnesiac23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#618 Amnesiac23

Hi Cassie.

My name is Dominic, I'm 22 years old and my BA is a year behind me having graduated with majors in English and philosophy. Currently I'm teaching Middle school English in South Korea and I'm in a relationship with a lovely Christian girl. It's very interesting to hear that you nearly died and that it pushed you away from religion rather than closer, as it does with many people.

Welcome to the union.

domatron23

That sounds like a great job! :) 

It's hard to explain how coming close to death pushed me farther away from religion. I think it had a lot to do with the amnesia and other things I went through. I already had doubts about religion, but the realization that the human brain is so easily manipulated and can play very elaborate tricks on a person made me question even more. 

Mishmash94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#619 Mishmash94
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Greetings, TAU. I used to post here as a kid who constantly defended Islam. Now, I'm quite skeptical and critical of the religion for ethical and philosophical reasons.
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#620 RationalAtheist

Greetings, TAU. I used to post here as a kid who constantly defended Islam. Now, I'm quite skeptical and critical of the religion for ethical and philosophical reasons.Mishmash94

Greetings! Could I ask what things started to change your view on Islam? 

Mishmash94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#621 Mishmash94

Here are some things that changed my views: the rife violence and enmity against non-Muslims; the fact that homosexuality is not actually a "choice"; the principle of abrogation; the verse about wife beating (4:34); Muhammad's divorcing his wife Sawdah bint Zam'ah because she was old and fat; and the permissibility of child marriage in Islam (see 65:4).

However, the thing that I find the most reprehensible in Islam is the clear gynophobia and hence the strong misogyny and sexism in the religion. I have much to say about how I think Islam treats women, but the most concise way of expressing my thoughts is that I think women are treated as property akin to wealth. If you don't believe me, go read the ahadith on sex slaves and the Farewell Sermon, in which Muhammad likens women to domestic animals that have no possessions. I know Islam is also known for its violence and intolerance, but the things I've read about women have offended me the most. 

Mishmash94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#622 Mishmash94
Also, the fact that most arguments from Muslims are rife with diversionary tactics and logical fallacies did not help me stay in Islam.
imaps3fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#623 imaps3fanboy
Member since 2009 • 11169 Posts

Hello, I'm here because I don't think 2000 year old book full of fairy tales and bigotry should dictate my life.

:) 

Amnesiac23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#624 Amnesiac23
Welcome to the union Mishmash94 and imaps3fanboy. :)
Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#626 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
PilgrimWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#627 PilgrimWind
Member since 2007 • 432 Posts

Hola, hola.

I'm PilgrimWind. Call me as you wish.

I'm an atheist and proud of it. I was actually Catholic before, and the rest is story...

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#628 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts
Hi PilgrimWind. The union is pretty dead now, but feel free to contribute a thread or a reply to a thread already made.
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#629 RationalAtheist

Hola, hola.

I'm PilgrimWind. Call me as you wish.

I'm an atheist and proud of it. I was actually Catholic before, and the rest is story...

PilgrimWind

Why are you proud to be an atheist? 

PilgrimWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#630 PilgrimWind
Member since 2007 • 432 Posts
Because I live in a highly religious city and get your respect around here for not being "with the flow" is something that can make anyone proud.
Mawy_Golomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#631 Mawy_Golomb
Member since 2008 • 1047 Posts

Hello, everyone. I am an atheist like many of you here, and like PilgrimWind, I used to be a Catholic. In fact, I really used to read up a lot of things on religion (including Catholicism, the Catechism of the Catholic Church, church history, the ecumenical councils, other religions, etc.), philosophy, and other related topics, which eventually brought me to this irreligious state of mind. I guess the fact that I realized that all this time, my mistakes were my own fault and that no divine being (depending on what you define as "god") really seemed to help me out, I eventually dropped my religion. It may have had something also to do with my depression. Oh, and unlike many atheists, which must be humanists, I consider myself a nihilist.

Meaning, truth, "god" (whether you look at the word as abstract or an athropomorphic entity), morality, etc. are all arbitrary. And I don't need to believe otherwise to be content with myself. If anything, I feel more liberated than ever before, thanks to this state of mind. Nietzsche, Wittgenstein, Max Stirner, and Machavielli are just some of the influences on my "philosophy" or, rather, anti-philosophy of life. One can also call me an anarchist for being anti-authority (though I am not particularly in favor of any government or no government at all) and an ignostic (for finding the word "god" meaningless). Also, don't confuse the term "ignostic" with "agnostic." They don't have the same meaning if you look them both up.

RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#632 RationalAtheist

Hello, everyone. I am an atheist like many of you here, and like PilgrimWind, I used to be a Catholic. In fact, I really used to read up a lot of things on religion (including Catholicism, the Catechism of the Catholic Church, church history, the ecumenical councils, other religions, etc.), philosophy, and other related topics, which eventually brought me to this irreligious state of mind. I guess the fact that I realized that all this time, my mistakes were my own fault and that no divine being (depending on what you define as "god") really seemed to help me out, I eventually dropped my religion. It may have had something also to do with my depression. Oh, and unlike many atheists, which must be humanists, I consider myself a nihilist.

Meaning, truth, "god" (whether you look at the word as abstract or an athropomorphic entity), morality, etc. are all arbitrary. And I don't need to believe otherwise to be content with myself. If anything, I feel more liberated than ever before, thanks to this state of mind. Nietzsche, Wittgenstein, Max Stirner, and Machavielli are just some of the influences on my "philosophy" or, rather, anti-philosophy of life. One can also call me an anarchist for being anti-authority (though I am not particularly in favor of any government or no government at all) and an ignostic (for finding the word "god" meaningless). Also, don't confuse the term "ignostic" with "agnostic." They don't have the same meaning if you look them both up.

Mawy_Golomb

Welcome here.

What you say about ignostic and agnostic is interesting!

Personally, I'm not sure we need a distinction between the two things. 

Amnesiac23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#633 Amnesiac23
Welcome Pilgimworld and mawy_golomb. It's nice to see some new members :)
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#634 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts
Hi guys. I was here a few years ago and got unbanned the other day. Not sure if the people here I knew are around anymore. I know my bro ghokle is, and I've seen R_A around.
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#635 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts
Also does danwallacefan have a new alt yet? I need some of his comedy in my life.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#636 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Howdy! Just disocovered that this board existed, would be nice to connect with some others who share my beliefs (or lack thereof :P).

I was raised Roman Catholic in New England and went to sunday school, was confirmed, baptised, recieved communion, all that jazz....all while rejecting it all.  Not even once in my life and all those days in church or sunday school did I once believe anything I was taught.  I thought it was all laughable.  I was captivated by science, physics, astrophysics, astronomy, and computer tech at a very early age and thought to myself about how rediculous gods and goddeses were as a concept.  I just had to play along with my family's wants and partake in the religious events they brought me to.  Life is short and complex, I'd rather not delve into ancient tales of sky wizards to seek comfort and life guidance that I can ultimately get from my own self. :)

RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#637 RationalAtheist

Can I extend a warm welcome to Wis3boi and also BossPerson (who just posted in our OT thread).

I share your upbringing Wis3boi, having had an on-site church at my school!

3d walkthough here: http://www.millhill.org.uk/popups/panorama-chapel.html

Prior to that, I was cajoled into going to "Sunday School", but remember not believing anything being preached and the leaders there being unwilling, or unable to answer my questions. I was also raised on stuff like Aesop's fables and could not really tell the difference in moral terms with religious ideas, except that Aesop seemed to encapsulate morality far more interestingly.

I don't feel that I was given a level of indoctrination anywhere near Evangelical Christianity, or Islam, as the Church of England is rather benign in comparison. I was also raised in quite a Jewish area and remember having a great time in attending my Jewish friends' Bar Mitzvah celebrations (the Jewish equivalent of Christian "Confirmation", except more fun). I could see at an early age that religious views were personal opinion, yet subtly divided people within my own area.

This union is on the rise again. It was a most fascinating place to discuss faith. I hope the changes you see being made to the union in the near future will encourage yet more posting and debate here.

Please do consider posting here yourselves and letting the forum know about your religious experiences and how and why you questioned them. Religious views are also welcomed, as long as preaching is avoided. Don't mind about dredging up old threads if you have something to add to them.

I hope you enjoy your stay here. 

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#638 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts
Welcome, wis3boi. ^_^
Ethicae-Atheos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#639 Ethicae-Atheos
Member since 2012 • 38 Posts
Hi everyone! Please call me Isaac. I am new to the site as a whole, but I came across this board by one of the users. I am an Agnostic Deist who has a passion for Philosophy. I am in college(freshman) majoring in Physics and minoring in Philosophy. I want to understand why everything works the way it does and I am utterly intrigued by the universe and life in general! I had a fallout with religion about one year ago. I am currently studying all types of religion and I have a solid background on all world religions, philosophies, and spiritual movements. I love religious debates so feel free to start one up! Feel free to chat to me as well or ask me anything.
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#640 ghoklebutter

Welcome, Isaac! 

I have a passion for philosophy as well, particularly ethics, epistemology, and sometimes metaphysics.

I can't say that I have a good background in world religions, however; I'm only familiar with my former religion, Islam. May I ask what your former religion was (I presume it's Judaism, but I could be wrong)? 

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your time here! =]

Ethicae-Atheos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#641 Ethicae-Atheos
Member since 2012 • 38 Posts

Welcome, Isaac! 

I have a passion for philosophy as well, particularly ethics, epistemology, and sometimes metaphysics.

I can't say that I have a good background in world religions, however; I'm only familiar with my former religion, Islam. May I ask what your former religion was (I presume it's Judaism, but I could be wrong)? 

ghoklebutter
It is good to see that others are interested in Philosophy too. My family and friends don't realize the importance of Philosophy and see it as a crutch to their beliefs rather than a possible catalyst. Technically I still adhere to Judaism, just not Orthodox. I have formed my own opinions that contradict the teachings of Orthodox Judaism, but I still view Judaism as a whole as something that is part of me. It is interesting that you are a former Muslim. I have some family and friends who are Muslim. I always get into debates with them about their religion and it always turns sour. From my experience, Muslims despise negativity towards their religion... and Jews as well. However I think that with education and the proper attitude there may be room for some reform in Islam and Muslims.
Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#642 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
So many new users! I should have checked this thread more often. Welcome all!
Spitfirer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#643 Spitfirer
Member since 2007 • 2088 Posts

I've always played my introduction out in my head but the only perfect one I could think of was pretty much my first thought, and now it's gone. So here goes.

My views have fluctuated a bit. I was almost religious from a young age through my primary school's RE lessons, where Christianity initially sounded nice to me. I quickly abandoned that minor belief when I learned more about science and found it more plausable, realising that morality is not absolute (this started as I was finishing primary school), and leaned towards militant attitudes. I swayed back a bit, maybe a bit too much with my tendancy to defend faith and view it with rose-tinted glasses, even when faced with a legitimite criticism. I've finally reached a neutral state now; I don't believe faith systems are inherently bad and generally don't have an issue with them or their followers, but I'm very welcome to criticisms with the many negative aspects that religion holds. As ghokle said, religion is not impeccable.

I'm primarily atheist-agnostic, though I'm shifting towards more of a gnostic stance as I'm gradually finding the idea of a higher being more and more implausible to me. I can never take the leap in logic and I almost (read: ALMOST) envy religious folk because if there is one thing I can respect about faith, it's the fact that it gives its followers some hope in a life that is (if I wanted to take the most negative view, one I don't always hold) awful and very difficult. There are still many plus sides to critical thinking, though - I'm not saying religious folk don't do it, they're just far less likely to do it. But it's paramount to me.

I've been reading this board for some time and it's piqued my interest a lot. I find it far more friendlier, reasonable and less mind-numbing than religious threads in OT. Where my debating skills are pretty bad, that's not a sign that I will ignore anyone should they respond to my posts or want me to clarify something. It would be rude of me after all.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#644 Zeviander
Welcome. I wouldn't call my position "gnostic" insomuch as I find the concept so physically and emotionally non-agreeable, that it is not affirmative non-belief, just utter disgust at the idea. Something that keeps growing more and more on my nerves is the problem of Hell. God is claimed to be "all-loving" and "just" and is yet still able to sentence his very creations, who commit finite crimes (including thought crimes), to eternal, everlasting torture.
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#645 ghoklebutter

Welcome Spitfrier! I'm elated to see you here. =D

You should post in the "Is there an atheistic dogma?" thread here. Hearing more of your views would be interesting.

Spitfirer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#646 Spitfirer

Welcome. I wouldn't call my position "gnostic" insomuch as I find the concept so physically and emotionally non-agreeable, that it is not affirmative non-belief, just utter disgust at the idea.Zeviander

I've always seen it more as a sure dismissal at the idea, not inherently negative (just because that belief is held by many militant atheists).

As for the rest of your post, I'd agree. God is either a psychopath, was bullied as a child or both, and he'd be kinda awesome if it was the former. It does irk me and strike me as incredibly douchy that mere natural thoughts and, as xaos said, reasonable questions raised against an entity for which there is no evidence, is grounds for eternal suffering.

I could always go on about the negatives with religion and the bad things it has done, but I see Chrisitanity now, or forms that focus more on the New Testament, as something to fight a bigger monster than that - human treating other humans as playthings, pleasure machines. So I can understand why some Christians get defensive. Not only does atheism and it's lack of any kind of afterlife mingle them with rapists and murderers who committed their crimes for nothing more than their own sensual pleasure, they think that the cause is worth fighting for. I don't think the existence of a God and the events dipicted in the bible are (necessarily) true, but I always liked that aspect.

Unfortunately, I can't defend Islam in its current state, if at all.

Those latter part of my post was nothing more than musings.

And thanks for the welcome.

EDIT: you too, brokle! I'm incredibly flattered to hear that someone wants ot hear my views.

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#647 ghoklebutter
[QUOTE="ghoklebutter"]

Welcome, Isaac! 

Ethicae-Atheos

It is good to see that others are interested in Philosophy too. My family and friends don't realize the importance of Philosophy and see it as a crutch to their beliefs rather than a possible catalyst. Technically I still adhere to Judaism, just not Orthodox. I have formed my own opinions that contradict the teachings of Orthodox Judaism, but I still view Judaism as a whole as something that is part of me. It is interesting that you are a former Muslim. I have some family and friends who are Muslim. I always get into debates with them about their religion and it always turns sour. From my experience, Muslims despise negativity towards their religion... and Jews as well. However I think that with education and the proper attitude there may be room for some reform in Islam and Muslims.

Indeed, philosophy is at the core of countless issues today. It's sad to see how so many people denounce it as mere intellectual play, even though we are ultimately rendered powerless without philosophy. 

Yeah, arguing with Muslims is definitely sour for the most part. Even very liberal Muslims feel offended when their religion is given the smallest mote of criticism - it's quite frustrating, really. And I definitely agree about education; secular education is truly essential these days.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#648 Zeviander
@Spitfirer: I too am more than willing to read about people's positions, so long as they wish to present them in a manner that is open to discussion rather than "THIS IS WHAT I BELIEVE, NOTHING YOU SAY CAN CHANGE MY MIND" defensiveness. What amazes me most is that barely anyone on OT actually wants to have that kind of discussion anymore. It's almost as if we've all just fallen into our "grooves" and just maintain the status quo. I'm trying to be more questioning when arguing with religionists these days, trying to get them to explain WHY they believe something, rather than just WHAT they believe. So it becomes more than just a self-aggrandizing poll thread.
Spitfirer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#649 Spitfirer

@Spitfirer: I too am more than willing to read about people's positions, so long as they wish to present them in a manner that is open to discussion rather than "THIS IS WHAT I BELIEVE, NOTHING YOU SAY CAN CHANGE MY MIND" defensiveness. What amazes me most is that barely anyone on OT actually wants to have that kind of discussion anymore. It's almost as if we've all just fallen into our "grooves" and just maintain the status quo. I'm trying to be more questioning when arguing with religionists these days, trying to get them to explain WHY they believe something, rather than just WHAT they believe. So it becomes more than just a self-aggrandizing poll thread.Zeviander

I was guilty of hostility at one point (when I moved to viewing religion with rose-tinted glasses) and with that, I agree wholeheartedly.

There are many posters who I like, such as cheese_game, who insist on acting douchy (like attacking every religious person) in religious threads, or decent users (like teneka) who are usually docile and friendly in religious debate, but will degrade to hostility and the overused "sky-wizard" during a heavy influx of religious threads.

But I too want to know the why of it. OT's just not the place to try anf find out, especially of your stress levels are already elevated. This is one thing that attracted me to this union.

---

To go on another tangent (I can't find any appropriate place to dump all of my religious musings),what annoysme the most about religion (and specifically Christianity) is the notion that only followers can do good things. What about those who help people, who put others first, who are willing to give without getting anything in return but can't (yes, can't) believe in God because of a lingering and reasonable doubt from the lack of any evidence? In fact, this is one of the very few times I want to quote a cracked.com article for anything other than funnies:

"So... doesn't that kind of kill the premise that these people are avoiding God out of sinful rebellion or fear of having to live a godly life? After all, you've got people who are doing the hard part (self-sacrifice, patience, giving up all sorts of sinful pleasures) but are avoiding the easy part (praying and listening to a preacher talk for one hour a week). If God and the danger of Hell were that obvious, why wouldn't they just go all the way with it?

"No, if there is a God, it appears that some good people honestly don't perceive him. For whatever reason. And there has to be some tolerance in God's rules for the Honest Mistake. Has to be. Otherwise we're all going to get screwed by that thing with the Sabbath being on Saturday instead of Sunday."

I enjoy accommodating the "give without expecting anything in return" attitude and it's inherently offensive to me that it's all for nothing and my punishment is eternal torture, something even a rapist or murderer doesn't deserve.

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#650 ghoklebutter

To go on another tangent (I can't find any appropriate place to dump all of my religious musings),what annoysme the most about religion (and specifically Christianity) is the notion that only followers can do good things. What about those who help people, who put others first, who are willing to give without getting anything in return but can't (yes, can't) believe in God because of a lingering and reasonable doubt from the lack of any evidence? In fact, this is one of the very few times I want to quote a cracked.com article for anything other than funnies:

"So... doesn't that kind of kill the premise that these people are avoiding God out of sinful rebellion or fear of having to live a godly life? After all, you've got people who are doing the hard part (self-sacrifice, patience, giving up all sorts of sinful pleasures) but are avoiding the easy part (praying and listening to a preacher talk for one hour a week). If God and the danger of Hell were that obvious, why wouldn't they just go all the way with it?

"No, if there is a God, it appears that some good people honestly don't perceive him. For whatever reason. And there has to be some tolerance in God's rules for the Honest Mistake. Has to be. Otherwise we're all going to get screwed by that thing with the Sabbath being on Saturday instead of Sunday."

I enjoy accommodating the "give without expecting anything in return" attitude and it's inherently offensive to me that it's all for nothing and my punishment is eternal torture, something even a rapist or murderer doesn't deserve.

Spitfirer

You've identified my main gripe with religions like Christianity: altruistic motives are ruined by religion when all actions are based on attaining salvation and nothing more. 

It all reminds me of when I used to be livid when my Muslim relatives told me that all Christians and Jews are going to hell according to Islam just because of their dissent.