How UK gamers will react to Assassin's Creed 3, and the anti-British theme.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ChiefFreeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 ChiefFreeman
Member since 2005 • 5667 Posts

I was curious as to how much Assassin's Creed 3's American Revolution setting, and likely portrayal of the English as the bad guys, would affect their decision to buy the game. IF it turns out that the new Assassin's mission is to just "kill the redcoats", would it turn you off of the game? Or would you not care? It could have a negative backlash in England.

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

Why on God's earth would i care?

And anyway, why would a Native American want to kill redcoats?

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
Has this been confirmed? i was expecting more of a "The founding fathers were actually part of a Free Mason conspiracy to take over the world Oh No!" sort of plot.
IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#4 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

Isn't the main character a Native American? So ideally everyone is the enemy, not just the British.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

Just because the Native American is killing a redcoat on the boxart doesn't necessarily mean we'll be siding with the Americans. I certainly haven't seen any info otherwise to say that the game is going to be anti-British.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#6 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

Just because the Native American is killing a redcoat on the boxart doesn't necessarily mean we'll be siding with the Americans. I certainly haven't seen any info otherwise to say that the game is going to be anti-British.

Vari3ty

My sentiments exactly. People should stop rushing to conclusions or making wrong judgments until we hear the facts first.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#7 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

I don't see why anyone would react negatively. It's set around events that really happened. Plenty of forms of media have tackled stuff like this, and without any sort of outcry, I think. So why would this be an exception?

Business_Fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 Business_Fun
Member since 2009 • 2282 Posts

I think the answer is obvious. We're going to have to march on Grosvenor Square and sack your embassy.

El3ctrosisV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 El3ctrosisV2
Member since 2012 • 180 Posts
I'm English and I don't care. As long it's not set in the modern day I'm interested.
o0squishy0o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 o0squishy0o
Member since 2007 • 2802 Posts

Unlike americans who would BAN a anti-american game, the english simply do not care :). If anything sometimes when playing WW2 games it was fun being ze germanz because they had some pretty awesome guns ;).

Games should be about having fun and relaxing imo. When people start making them politically motivated or twisting their words etc it becomes less of a game and more like real life. not cool.

AzelKosMos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#11 AzelKosMos
Member since 2005 • 34194 Posts

The British are portrayed as bad guys in all sorts of films and games, someone has to be the enemy. As long as it's done well I couldn't care less myself.

HadronVulture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 HadronVulture
Member since 2012 • 198 Posts
I do not see why anyone would get offended by a video game, it is just a video game after all.
Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Ilovegames1992

I do not see why anyone would get offended by a video game, it is just a video game after all.HadronVulture

Even i'd get slightly offended if it was too far.

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

If I was British I couldn't care less. Every country has made their share of crap so..

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#15 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
in AC1, they somehow managed to turn the crusades into a pulpy romp. they could probably do the same with any number of other atrocities.
VoodooHak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 VoodooHak
Member since 2002 • 15989 Posts

It was a couple centuries ago. I wouldn't think anyone would take offense.

As far as Native Americans are concerned, I guess it depends on which tribe the main character is from. While some tribes sided with the colonists, most allied with the British, seeing the colonists continually encroach on their land. Still others played both sides. So I suppose it's up in the air.

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#17 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

I think you'd have to be really lame to let a game theme get to you. I'm British and I know I couldn't care less if I played it.

Avatar image for Canvas_Of_Flesh
Canvas_Of_Flesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Canvas_Of_Flesh
Member since 2007 • 4052 Posts
There's hardly any information about the game as it is. So there's really no use jumping to conclusions yet.
juradai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 juradai
Member since 2003 • 2783 Posts

Unlike americans who would BAN a anti-american game, the english simply do not care :). If anything sometimes when playing WW2 games it was fun being ze germanz because they had some pretty awesome guns ;).

o0squishy0o

:|

I'm failing to see the connection of this installment being anti-British due to the highlighting of the Revolutionary War time period. I also don't see how you could seriously stand behind the notion that America would ban an anti-American game.

If you think about it, both the colonies and the British had their fair share of good and bad guys - Benedict Arnold being one of the more notorious from the Continental Army. Plus, France, Spain and the Dutch Republic were involved during this historic event so I wouldn't be surprised to see some twists in the story from all parties involved. It should be very interesting.

blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

I didn't realize you play as a Native American, but after finding that out, I'd be surprised if your main enemy is the British. I'm actually really interested in playing as a Native American because there aren't a lot of games that focus on them, and I'm hoping they depict them in a positive light. Though, I do kind of agree with a previous poster who said how the story could be about the founding fathers being part of some type of conspiracy or something along those lines. Then before you know it AC4 will have you playing as Nicolas Cage from National Treasure.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LoG-Sacrament

I didn't realize you play as a Native American, but after finding that out, I'd be surprised if your main enemy is the British. I'm actually really interested in playing as a Native American because there aren't a lot of games that focus on them, and I'm hoping they depict them in a positive light. Though, I do kind of agree with a previous poster who said how the story could be about the founding fathers being part of some type of conspiracy or something along those lines. Then before you know it AC4 will have you playing as Nicolas Cage from National Treasure.

blueboxdoctor
if ubisoft offered nic cage a role, hed take it. that man cannot say no.
TJORLY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TJORLY
Member since 2008 • 3298 Posts

It'll probably be like the other games in that both sides have templars amongst their numbers.

And even if the bad guys are all British, so what? I'm English, and honestly I dont really care. We're the bad guys in loads of things.

blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

[QUOTE="blueboxdoctor"]

LoG-Sacrament

Not the Wicker Man, he never takes on a bad role, how could you think that

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 LoG-Sacrament

[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"][QUOTE="blueboxdoctor"]

blueboxdoctor

Not the Wicker Man, he never takes on a bad role, how could you think that

as great as the wicker man was, i started to have my doubts at ghost rider.
Artekus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Artekus
Member since 2008 • 15700 Posts

I'm Scottish and I don't really care that Britain is the enemy. I doubt there will be a single Scot in the game anyway.

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#26 good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

I don't see why that would matter to anyone.

I wouldn't mind playing a game where the US is the bad guys. (Actually pretty sure I've played several.)

killasaur2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 killasaur2112
Member since 2011 • 104 Posts

lol its a video game i couldnt give a ****

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

In case people didn't see these

SteamedBennet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SteamedBennet
Member since 2011 • 534 Posts

People in the UK don't care for the most part. Ubisoft aren't stupid, for the small (almost non-existent) quantity of sales they lose from offended UK gamers will be outweighed by the potentially greater US sales. Patriotism is generally more pronounced in the US.

Also, we don't know enough about the game to determine it's theme in it's full yet.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Metamania

British aren't the only enemy in the game. The Americans are too.

Templars are everywhere...

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Ilovegames1992

Ubisoft are French, that explains it.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#32 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
I think understanding who is making the game just as important as what it's about. I believe Ubisoft is based in Europe. Besides, it's history. People can look for themselves to see the major issues. The details will probably be harder to review for accuracy.
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Considering the protaganist in that game is most likely a native american wouldn't it make more sense if he was against everybody who's come and abused his people? Be them British or Colonists
Am_Confucius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Am_Confucius
Member since 2011 • 3229 Posts

Why would anyone care? It's not even the same era, and it's not like you will be killing people based on real civilians.

This is like KMX's thread.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 branketra

In case people didn't see these

seanmcloughlin

Didn't see these. Even though they're really blurry, they give a good idea of what the game will be like. Minus the graphics.

cryceaye5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 cryceaye5
Member since 2011 • 1190 Posts

I think overall the british red coats have always made good enemies in films and games alike. Take the patriot and braveheart for example. Loved both of them. I just hope they don't make a mockery of them in the game. I would like atleast a few historical facts to be mentioned along the way, for example the british fight 3 other wars in the process of the revolution.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Metamania

Didn't see these. Even though they're really blurry, they give a good idea of what the game will be like. Minus the graphics.

BranKetra

Actually, the game runs on a new version of the Anvil engine, so that's new too, right?

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Ilovegames1992

I think overall the british red coats have always made good enemies in films and games alike. Take the patriot and braveheart for example. Loved both of them. I just hope they don't make a mockery of them in the game. I would like atleast a few historical facts to be mentioned along the way, for example the british fight 3 other wars in the process of the revolution.

cryceaye5

What?

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17820 Posts
on a related topic...how would an american feel about been protrayed as the bad guys in a movie. for example in the movie master and commander the bad guys were french. but in the fight that movie was based on it was an american ship instead of french. would americans have been offended if it was an american ship? they changed it to french as they thought either the american audience would be greatly offended or would just end up rooting for the bad guys in that movie. we havent really seen media where americans are shown as the enemy. at the moment the closest is more the good guys who occasionally screw up.
Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Ilovegames1992

on a related topic...how would an american feel about been protrayed as the bad guys in a movie. for example in the movie master and commander the bad guys were french. but in the fight that movie was based on it was an american ship instead of french. would americans have been offended if it was an american ship? they changed it to french as they thought either the american audience would be greatly offended or would just end up rooting for the bad guys in that movie. we havent really seen media where americans are shown as the enemy. at the moment the closest is more the good guys who occasionally screw up.osan0

I can't remember what movie it was but it was a WW2 movie and they pretty much changed historical facts just to make the Americans looked like even bigger heroes.

But its film, what are you going to do eh?

cryceaye5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 cryceaye5
Member since 2011 • 1190 Posts

[QUOTE="cryceaye5"]

Ilovegames1992

What?

My mistake.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 branketra

[QUOTE="BranKetra"]

Metamania

Actually, the game runs on a new version of the Anvil engine, so that's new too, right?

It does? The textures and shadows do look a bit different. I like it. Anyway, I was talking about the blurry pictures and how I'm hoping the game won't look like when it comes out. I know it most likely won't, but better safe than sorry.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Metamania

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

[QUOTE="BranKetra"]

BranKetra

It does? The textures and shadows do look a bit different. I like it. Anyway, I was talking about the blurry pictures and how I'm hoping the game won't look like when it comes out. I know it most likely won't, but better safe than sorry.

That's true, but like you said, the game won't be as blurry as what the picture suggests. Plus, the scan they did probably wasn't that good anyway. So I have full confidence that Ubisoft will make the best out of this new Anvil graphic version for the game. Plus, three years in development is long enough. Games like Brotherhood and Revolution were meant to keep us busy for the last few years while this was being worked on and from all the new information that's been revealed, it's a safe bet that Ubisoft is keeping the core elements while giving the series a fresh spin in things.

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Ilovegames1992

[QUOTE="BranKetra"][QUOTE="Metamania"]

Metamania

That's true, but like you said, the game won't be as blurry as what the picture suggests. Plus, the scan they did probably wasn't that good anyway. So I have full confidence that Ubisoft will make the best out of this new Anvil graphic version for the game. Plus, three years in development is long enough. Games like Brotherhood and Revolution were meant to keep us busy for the last few years while this was being worked on and from all the new information that's been revealed, it's a safe bet that Ubisoft is keeping the core elements while giving the series a fresh spin in things.

Revelations*

Although Revelations is a damn good game in its own right.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 branketra

[QUOTE="BranKetra"][QUOTE="Metamania"]

Metamania

Agreed. I have to say, I am very impressed by the first two games. I'm sure it will be another good one. If only because of the story.

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Ilovegames1992

The story is amazing, but i've ended up getting lost in it. Like the whole alien race thing. That plotline, i've either forgotten what that was about if it was fleshed out in Brotherhood or its just been abandoned. Whatever happens i'm sure it will all come to an end in Desmond's timeline.

gamerdude375

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 gamerdude375
Member since 2012 • 204 Posts

on a related topic...how would an american feel about been protrayed as the bad guys in a movie.osan0

Well, in a way that can be answered....ask an American Southerner about how they feel about being what is basically the bad guys (or at least on the wrong side of the issue in terms of Slavery) in Civil War era movies like Glory.

Given the wild statements of some people, it's clear that even in the 21st century some people have a sore spot with how history turned out, though that might not be the reflective opinion of an entire demographic.

Hell, we might not even have to go back that far.....one can wonder how some people in the deep South feel about most civil-rights era films like The Help and Mississippi Burning...again, an issue that History pretty much now judges as having a good side and a bad side.....so, like the OT asked about the British and ACIII, could we ask does someone in the deep south avoids those films?

Supposedly Tarantino upcoming film, Django Unchained, is already causing a stir in some circles as being "anti-south" because it's about a runaway slave who becomes a bounty hunter who kills evil plantation owners.

...and even generally, it's not like American's haven't been portrayed in a negative light before in their own films, look at some Vietnam War era films where even though it's told from an American perspective, sometimes the Americans aren't portrayed as the "good guys".

...or even war films that are told from the other side's perspective, like Clint Eastwood's Letters from Iwo Jima.

I would think that most people don't really care....and the sub-set that carry a sore spot and illogical grudge that do are probably the type who could never be open-minded about films and games in the first place.

WAJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 WAJ
Member since 2003 • 771 Posts

I don't see why anyone would react negatively. It's set around events that really happened. Plenty of forms of media have tackled stuff like this, and without any sort of outcry, I think. So why would this be an exception?

c_rake
Capcom did something similar with RE5 and they got lambasted for it... On a personal note, I'm British and really don't care what the story is about, as long as the game is good.
Am_Confucius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Am_Confucius
Member since 2011 • 3229 Posts
[QUOTE="c_rake"]

WAJ
Capcom did something similar with RE5 and they got lambasted for it... On a personal note, I'm British and really don't care what the story is about, as long as the game is good.

What Capcom did wasn't all that similar. In RE5, the enemy is based on people that are alive today, and it's "racism". I don't see what is so special about the Redcoats.
UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#50 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

The main character is supposedly half English, half Mohawk.