How UK gamers will react to Assassin's Creed 3, and the anti-British theme.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mooooo99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#101 mooooo99
Member since 2008 • 1252 Posts

as a brithish chap myself, i for one could not care in the slightest where the game takes place and whether the british folkare portrayed as the 'bad guys.' the games setting is colonial america, i mean you could hardly change them to russians could you?

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#102 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
[QUOTE="Randolph"][QUOTE="jonleeprice"]

A dictionary to an American is like a crucifix to a vampire

And....

A salad to an american is like garlic to vampire.

jonleeprice
You're an idiot, but I'm not going to lump all the people where you live in with you, because that would make me an idiot too. I know full well a dunce like you doesn't represent the majority wherever you are. Speak when you have something to say, child. Not because you feel as if you have to say something.

Lol typical american so easily offended and defensive over his country.

Well you are being a jerk. It's no surprise that people don't want to hear this kind of crap. In a game forum, of all places.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 0

#103 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

[QUOTE="jonleeprice"][QUOTE="Randolph"] You're an idiot, but I'm not going to lump all the people where you live in with you, because that would make me an idiot too. I know full well a dunce like you doesn't represent the majority wherever you are. Speak when you have something to say, child. Not because you feel as if you have to say something.BranKetra

Well you are being a jerk. It's no surprise that people don't want to hear this kind of crap. In a game forum, of all places.

On top of that, the guy couldn't even place a better retort, so he had to use something that's along the lines of an excuse that a scrub throws out. Nothing but excuses. Randolph isn't an idiot. But that guy is!

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#104 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
this thread got trolled pretty hard.
Like-A-Sir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#105 Like-A-Sir
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
To be honest guys,I am English, big deal its a game, however, I am a little vexed at two things: 1. Why did they decide to do a game which sides with one faction when the Assassins did for themselves or what they thought was good (In the game series) I mean, looking through the trailers, it is quite bold as to be a bit Anti-british, wham, camera pans on the Union flag buried in the snow, Connor easily taking down redcoats, and then a big zoom out of George washington and the American flag swishing heroicly in the wind. It is all a big sales ploy, they know Americans will love it, they know a small contingency might not like it, but that is a SMALL contingency in comparrison to the American audience to the game. 2. Why on earth did they skip past countless amazing years, I mean, imagine Assassins creed set in London and the Assassins stopped guy Fawkes, an Assassin turned rogue for the Templars, before he could destroy parliment to look for another artifact, it makes no sense when you have all of this rich history, from any other country, and set it between Revelations and Now. It seems very Anti-british, but I guess like you guys said, who cares, it is a game, Ubisoft are french (Pun intended *Trollface*), and someone has to play the bad guy, I just did not think they would take the franchise in this spear-head of a tangent.
23Jarek23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 23Jarek23
Member since 2009 • 2647 Posts

It is all a big sales ploy, they know Americans will love it, they know a small contingency might not like it, but that is a SMALL contingency in comparrison to the American audience to the game..Like-A-Sir

That about sums it up, all previous games sold the least amount in NA.

GhostyClawz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 GhostyClawz
Guys please cut the argument it's childish. I'm English, but does it really matter? I've never seen a Russian complain about any of the Modern Warfare games. I'm just concerned about how many arguments over "which country is better" this game may cause. I don't really care as long as the British don't get humilaiated then I'm fine I saw a few images that shown a full scale battle between the redcoats and the American Revolutionaries, can't wait to watch a battle, promising game
godfather_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#108 godfather_1
Member since 2005 • 562 Posts
I am also British and couldn't care less. God forbid there should be a game that makes the American's the enemy in the game for once. It's always the majority of western devs who make the enemies, British, Chinese, Korean, Russian, Japanese, Muslims etc. When are we gonna see the Yanks as enemies for once.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 Metamania

[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator.]

undeadgoon

That comment...I don't know, I feel that it's a bit out of line to say, IMO.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#112 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

That comment...I don't know, I feel that it's a bit out of line to say, IMO.Metamania

Indeed.

Watch what you say here, undeadgoon.

undeadgoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 undeadgoon
Member since 2006 • 706 Posts

[QUOTE="Metamania"]That comment...I don't know, I feel that it's a bit out of line to say, IMO.c_rake

Indeed.

even on message boards people are scared of the truth

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 Metamania

[QUOTE="c_rake"]

[QUOTE="Metamania"]That comment...I don't know, I feel that it's a bit out of line to say, IMO.undeadgoon

Indeed.

even on message boards people are scared of the truth

It has nothing to do with that. We aren't scared of the truth whatsoever. But the way you said it was a bit out of line. Also, people are sensitive and protective of their religion, no matter what we believe. It's best to keep negative things to ourselves.

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#115 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

If people were really bothered by this kind of stuff, Russians and Germans wouldn't be able to play video games altogether.

TwoFace-BS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 TwoFace-BS
Member since 2011 • 9531 Posts
No other country will cry about being the villains in a video game like the americans would
-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#117 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

British aren't English, mr American.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#118 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

Why on God's earth would i care?

And anyway, why would a Native American want to kill redcoats?

Ilovegames1992

First of all the main character is not a pure native american. He if they want to tie down the whole DNA sqeuence thing with Ezio, Altair and Desmond has to be half european, probaly native on his moms side since he storywise have to have been raised by his native american familiy. So considering that he as perhaps english blood in him he could either be seeking revenge for his dad or joining the same side has his dad. But according to the devs, he wont be on either side, he is neutral and will only be killing the people on both sides that moves in with that.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 Jacanuk

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"][QUOTE="BranKetra"]Some of the American colonists were of British descent. So, it's actually different.Ilovegames1992

Some? Weren't they all of British descent?

Weren't some French? Dutch? etc etc

Not really since the 13 colonies was founded by England and they kinda were at a constant war or warlike state with France, Spain and Holland. France also had colonies in America, some were later sold back to the new "America" Also Canada is still a part of the commonwelth.
Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 Jacanuk

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"][QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]Weren't some French? Dutch? etc etcIlovegames1992

The French settled further north along the St. Lawrence River (now Canada), and the Dutch (IIRC) only settled in a very early New York (before it was even York'd) and then left. Pretty much all "Americans" as far as I learned were of British descent.

So what about places like Louisiana? Wasn't that names after King Louis of France? I was under the impression that was the case.

Louisiana was bought by the american government after the revolution around 1780-90´s Apparently the americans didn´t like a major european power right on the doorstep probably since the political climate in European could suddenly see peace between England and France and then France could possibly be a landing/stagning area if the British wanted to try another time.

bats94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 bats94
Member since 2012 • 590 Posts
Being from England myself I don't really care much about AC3 being seemingly anti-British.
Blballerboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#122 Blballerboy
Member since 2006 • 896 Posts
Being from England myself I don't really care much about AC3 being seemingly anti-British.bats94
How many times does Ubi have to tell you until you Brits get it? http://www.oxm.co.uk/40463/features/assassins-creed-3-why-connor-isnt-out-to-bash-the-british/ Why is it such a big deal anyway, should black people not play Resident evil 5 because its in Africa????
DeX2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#123 DeX2010
Member since 2010 • 3989 Posts

I was curious as to how much Assassin's Creed 3's American Revolution setting, and likely portrayal of the English as the bad guys, would affect their decision to buy the game. IF it turns out that the new Assassin's mission is to just "kill the redcoats", would it turn you off of the game? Or would you not care? It could have a negative backlash in England.

ChiefFreeman
Well I think English people hate their country more than what can ever be depicted in a game. We complain about the Weather, the government, the army, EuroStar, the London Underground, and virtually anything else. Personally I don't give a crap, and why should I? Especially if it is set during the American Revolution.
Zensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Zensword
Member since 2007 • 4510 Posts

[QUOTE="dawso0n"]

I'm English (British) and I have no problem with the games setting, why would I? If you pick up a History book you will find we weren't the nicest of people during the empire and in my opinion got what we deserved. I look forward to killing me some red coats.

Ilovegames1992

You could be killing your great x10 grand dad.

:lol:
JwresB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#125 JwresB
Member since 2008 • 217 Posts

[QUOTE="Randolph"][QUOTE="jonleeprice"]

A dictionary to an American is like a crucifix to a vampire

And....

A salad to an american is like garlic to vampire.

jonleeprice

You're an idiot, but I'm not going to lump all the people where you live in with you, because that would make me an idiot too. I know full well a dunce like you doesn't represent the majority wherever you are. Speak when you have something to say, child. Not because you feel as if you have to say something.

lol saying all that on an American made website...most of you're computer hardware if not all of it is American also. That's funny.

MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#126 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

I would certainly hope that British gamers aren't offended by it. The Revolutionary War is a huge part of both American and British history, and it's good to see a video game get into it.

l3rit4Life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 l3rit4Life
Medal of Honor got banned from US Military bases just because it had terrorists in multiplayer, the excuse was that it would be dishonoring "our fallen heroes" if people were to play as terrorists, the only reason they eventually allowed the sale was because it changed to OpFor... :/ If that was just a name then I know there would be some anti AC sentiment if we ran around killing colonial terrorists.
l3rit4Life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 l3rit4Life
If we were going to go down that road, then technically the land your on was founded (not including native americans) by the British, sooo... :-/ Although I have to agree he was being a child...
l3rit4Life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 l3rit4Life
Well, the majority of Africans don't even know what a videogame is, let alone have the ability to play RE5...
Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 Jacanuk

[QUOTE="jonleeprice"][QUOTE="Randolph"] You're an idiot, but I'm not going to lump all the people where you live in with you, because that would make me an idiot too. I know full well a dunce like you doesn't represent the majority wherever you are. Speak when you have something to say, child. Not because you feel as if you have to say something.JwresB

lol saying all that on an American made website...most of you're computer hardware if not all of it is American also. That's funny.

Actually if you look inside your computer most of the parts are manufactured in Asia, And if you look at the computer history a huge part of it is discovered by British companies and inventors.
AutomaticASDAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#131 AutomaticASDAN
Member since 2010 • 68 Posts

As long as it dosn't just portray the British as all evil, the leaders can be but not all of them

Avatar image for deactivated-61cc564148ef4
deactivated-61cc564148ef4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 deactivated-61cc564148ef4
Member since 2007 • 10909 Posts

The Russians and all the arabs have been villianised in every shooter I think if anyone is offended they need to man the hell up

Avatar image for deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
Member since 2009 • 7779 Posts

Brits are almost always portrayed as bad guys in movies anyway:P

Anyone who finds it offensive is an idiot.

RobertBowen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#134 RobertBowen
Member since 2003 • 4094 Posts

Brits are almost always portrayed as bad guys in movies anyway:P

Anyone who finds it offensive is an idiot.

Postmortem123

Exactly. We're all used to it by now, and I couldn't care less.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#135 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

Isn't the main character a Native American? So ideally everyone is the enemy, not just the British.

IndianaPwns39
yup. also in the latest trailer...he kills people on boths sides...he doesn't care about the revolution, he cares about fighting the templars
LordRork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#136 LordRork
Member since 2004 • 2692 Posts

The British government of the Revolutionary War period weren't the sharpest knives in the drawer (the rampant double standards), hence why there was said war. If anything, it taught the British how to keep hold of the rest of their Empire.

It will be interesting to see how they link it to some of the documentation you come across in the later games which strongly hints at the Templars at work in the White House in the 20th century. If they can maintain some of the ambiguity of the series so far, it's all good.

D1zzyCriminal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 D1zzyCriminal
Member since 2009 • 1839 Posts

Im British and like the idea of us being the bad guys. It's based on historical events, and im sure most British people understand that.

As a society we're fairly placid about peoples opinions of us. In fact sometimes we enjoy it when people dont like us. Most British people hate everyone anyway :P

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 Metamania

[QUOTE="IndianaPwns39"]

Isn't the main character a Native American? So ideally everyone is the enemy, not just the British.

jsmoke03

yup. also in the latest trailer...he kills people on boths sides...he doesn't care about the revolution, he cares about fighting the templars

I don't think that's the case. I think he cares about the revolution to a degree, especially if it involves the templars. Templars are not just the British, but also the Americans here too, so he has to take them out if he wishes to make a difference. Also, he's not about revenge, he's more of a fighter that wishes to right the wrongs of any injustice that he sees happening. So if something bad happens to an innocent person, he'll go out of his way to defend them.

Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts
The Biritish are the enemy in, like, every single film ever made anyway...
-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#140 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts
The Biritish are the enemy in, like, every single film ever made anyway...Overlord93
I can't think of any examples.
Reptylus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 Reptylus
Member since 2009 • 1875 Posts
Leaving aside wether the Britains really are the bad guys or not: The Britains will be as angry about being the bad guy as I am about the Germans being the bad guys in many games (= not at all). Especially in a game based on historical facts.
Vangaurdius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 Vangaurdius
Member since 2007 • 671 Posts
Photobucket This is going to end up happening.
juradai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 juradai
Member since 2003 • 2783 Posts
I don't understand this thread. You were killing English crusaders in the first game so why is it now all of a sudden a big deal?
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#144 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

I was curious as to how much Assassin's Creed 3's American Revolution setting, and likely portrayal of the English as the bad guys, would affect their decision to buy the game. IF it turns out that the new Assassin's mission is to just "kill the redcoats", would it turn you off of the game? Or would you not care? It could have a negative backlash in England.

ChiefFreeman

Um, the British were the bad guys in the American Revolution, so it would be pointless to put them in any other light. People that can't accept history will just have to get over it, or not play it.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Doubt they care to be frank and it is set in historical times, After all does the Japanese or Germans get angry when another WW2 games comes out?
Elraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 Elraptor
Member since 2004 • 30966 Posts
They will play and cheer along with the rest of us.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#147 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Go watch "The Patriot" and come back to respond. Certainly the French will have something to say about this? :P The Koreans in Homefront, and Russians in every other game. :P
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#148 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

[QUOTE="ChiefFreeman"]

Bigboi500

Um, the British were the bad guys in the American Revolution, so it would be pointless to put them in any other light. People that can't accept history will just have to get over it, or not play it.

Exactly. :)
Englandfc1966

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 Englandfc1966
Member since 2005 • 2217 Posts

Calling the Colonists "good guys" is laughable at best lmfao. @ Vanguardius, if Ubisoft were an American company, I'd bet my life and house on the game being like that. Just be thankful that they're European.

Vangaurdius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 Vangaurdius
Member since 2007 • 671 Posts

Calling the Colonists "good guys" is laughable at best lmfao. @ Vanguardius, if Ubisoft were an American company, I'd bet my life and house on the game being like that. Just be thankful that they're European.

Englandfc1966
You are forgetting that they're French. Still, the image was more of poking fun at what could happen, rather than what is happening.