How UK gamers will react to Assassin's Creed 3, and the anti-British theme.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

User Lists: 0

#151 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

By that logic...

You could say the first game is anti Middle Eastern.

The second game is anti Italian

Brotherhood is anti Roman

Revelations is anti Constantinopolian

paradoxmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#152 paradoxmatt
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

[QUOTE="ChiefFreeman"]

I was curious as to how much Assassin's Creed 3's American Revolution setting, and likely portrayal of the English as the bad guys, would affect their decision to buy the game. IF it turns out that the new Assassin's mission is to just "kill the redcoats", would it turn you off of the game? Or would you not care? It could have a negative backlash in England.

Bigboi500

Um, the British were the bad guys in the American Revolution, so it would be pointless to put them in any other light. People that can't accept history will just have to get over it, or not play it.

The British were not the bad guys in the American Revolution though??? Everyone is the bad guy in war including the Americans.. Do you think the Nazis saw the British and Americans as the good guys? No, clearly not. So to judge who's a good guy and who's the bad guy just proves you've been spoon fed by your media. In fact the enemy is just the team that loses, nothing more nothing less. Back to the game tough...The UK and US have a very strong bond these days so I don't really think this game is going to be anti British. Even if it is Im still buying the game, because like someone has already said the UK were getting slaughtered in the first one. Only reason this has become a problem is ever since AC 2 The game has grown in popularity in leaps and bounds.
The_Stand_In

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#153 The_Stand_In
Member since 2010 • 1179 Posts

Do you think the Nazis saw the British and Americans as the good guys? No, clearly not. So to judge who's a good guy and who's the bad guy just proves you've been spoon fed by your media. paradoxmatt

Oh, come on. Even most of the Wehrmacht saw the Nazis as evil, brutal war criminals. Bad war to choose for the "there is no good side in war" philosophy.

theonlylolking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 theonlylolking
Member since 2010 • 152 Posts

How would they go about making this game not anti-british? This is about american history which is all anti-british.

Novotine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#155 Novotine
Member since 2009 • 1199 Posts
I don't understand this thread. You were killing English crusaders in the first game so why is it now all of a sudden a big deal?juradai
Because of how bad the British education system is
The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#156 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Unlike americans who would BAN a anti-american game, the english simply do not care :). If anything sometimes when playing WW2 games it was fun being ze germanz because they had some pretty awesome guns ;).

Games should be about having fun and relaxing imo. When people start making them politically motivated or twisting their words etc it becomes less of a game and more like real life. not cool.

o0squishy0o
yeah i was thinking the same thing to. I haven't seen a game where only americans are being killed by the main character. It's not a big deal
-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#157 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

I'm Scottish and I'll enjoy killing some English (which are labled British) in AC3. :)

gohanmaster11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 gohanmaster11
Member since 2007 • 255 Posts

^ You should be a politician tarnishing everyone with that big brush of yours.

As was said at the Ubisoft Conference, the enemy is the Templar. American and British characters will be involved so both sides will be targets.

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#159 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts
American and British characters will be involved so both sides will be targets.gohanmaster11
I think you mean American and English characters.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
Member since 2009 • 7779 Posts

[QUOTE="gohanmaster11"] American and British characters will be involved so both sides will be targets.-Unreal-
I think you mean American and English characters.

Wut? English are also British:?

Also, I'm fairly sure you'll be killing some Scots too ^_^ Though of course they won't bother with Scottish VAs.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#161 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

[QUOTE="ChiefFreeman"]

I was curious as to how much Assassin's Creed 3's American Revolution setting, and likely portrayal of the English as the bad guys, would affect their decision to buy the game. IF it turns out that the new Assassin's mission is to just "kill the redcoats", would it turn you off of the game? Or would you not care? It could have a negative backlash in England.

paradoxmatt

Um, the British were the bad guys in the American Revolution, so it would be pointless to put them in any other light. People that can't accept history will just have to get over it, or not play it.

The British were not the bad guys in the American Revolution though??? Everyone is the bad guy in war including the Americans.. Do you think the Nazis saw the British and Americans as the good guys? No, clearly not. So to judge who's a good guy and who's the bad guy just proves you've been spoon fed by your media. In fact the enemy is just the team that loses, nothing more nothing less. Back to the game tough...The UK and US have a very strong bond these days so I don't really think this game is going to be anti British. Even if it is Im still buying the game, because like someone has already said the UK were getting slaughtered in the first one. Only reason this has become a problem is ever since AC 2 The game has grown in popularity in leaps and bounds.

Are you a Nazi sympathizer? wow... *slowly walks away*

Delkura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 Delkura
Member since 2010 • 689 Posts

The game takes place in Colonial America and in REAL LIFE, AMERICAN WINS. That is the reason why the British are the enemy, because if they won then the United States would have never founded.

This game is about as anti-British as WWII games are anti-German. This isn't something against modern British people so CALM THE HELL DOWN.

IgotEpixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 IgotEpixx
Member since 2007 • 1929 Posts

I'm Scottish and I'll enjoy killing some English (which are labled British) in AC3. :)

-Unreal-
You kill Scottish soldiers as well. In the demo the "Brute" type was clearly a highlander.
IgotEpixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 IgotEpixx
Member since 2007 • 1929 Posts

[QUOTE="paradoxmatt"][QUOTE="Bigboi500"]Um, the British were the bad guys in the American Revolution, so it would be pointless to put them in any other light. People that can't accept history will just have to get over it, or not play it.

Bigboi500

Don't be an idiot. Of course he isn't. History is written by the victor. If the Nazis had won WW2 the history books would read about how Britain and America (and all the Allies) were villains who wanted to control Germany or something.
spawnassasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 spawnassasin
Member since 2006 • 18702 Posts

-Unreal-

You damn Scotts you ruined Scotland!

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

[QUOTE="paradoxmatt"] The British were not the bad guys in the American Revolution though??? Everyone is the bad guy in war including the Americans.. Do you think the Nazis saw the British and Americans as the good guys? No, clearly not. So to judge who's a good guy and who's the bad guy just proves you've been spoon fed by your media. In fact the enemy is just the team that loses, nothing more nothing less. Back to the game tough...The UK and US have a very strong bond these days so I don't really think this game is going to be anti British. Even if it is Im still buying the game, because like someone has already said the UK were getting slaughtered in the first one. Only reason this has become a problem is ever since AC 2 The game has grown in popularity in leaps and bounds. IgotEpixx

Don't be an idiot. Of course he isn't. History is written by the victor. If the Nazis had won WW2 the history books would read about how Britain and America (and all the Allies) were villains who wanted to control Germany or something.

Sure, to hell with morality, all that matters is winning. :(

anthonycg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 anthonycg
Member since 2009 • 2017 Posts

[QUOTE="IgotEpixx"][QUOTE="Bigboi500"]Are you a Nazi sympathizer? wow... *slowly walks away*

Bigboi500

Don't be so dense. He is giving you the reality of the situation. Moral or not that's how it is and how it always has been. Whether it's wrong or right was never the point.

Ozmodiar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 Ozmodiar1
Member since 2009 • 638 Posts

My main problem with mainly showing Connor killing Redcoats in the trailers and screenshots is the historian in me getting bothered, since he's Mohawk and the majority of Mohawk were firm allies of the British. In fact, it was the Americans under George Washington that completely screwed them over during the war, destroying dozens of settlements in upstate NY (although the British weren't much better to them after). The Revolution split up the Iroquois Confederacy, which the Mohawk are a part of, so I hope there's a lot more emphasis on that than what we've seen so far. The Iroquois were one of the biggest powers in the area, Native or not, up until this era. That said, since that's a pretty niche part of history it doesn't surprise me that the advertising for the game so far has had little to do with Connor being Mohawk.

Game itself looks absolutely amazing, though. Was hoping the third game would be set in the American Revolution ever since I finished AC2, so I'm excessively pleased. Looks exactly what the series needed after it was lagging a bit.

TheFallenDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 TheFallenDemon
Member since 2010 • 13933 Posts

[QUOTE="IgotEpixx"][QUOTE="Bigboi500"]Are you a Nazi sympathizer? wow... *slowly walks away*

Bigboi500

what did the nazis ever do to you

HAMMERCLAW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 HAMMERCLAW
Member since 2011 • 55 Posts

[QUOTE="paradoxmatt"]Do you think the Nazis saw the British and Americans as the good guys? No, clearly not. So to judge who's a good guy and who's the bad guy just proves you've been spoon fed by your media. The_Stand_In

Oh, come on. Even most of the Wehrmacht saw the Nazis as evil, brutal war criminals. Bad war to choose for the "there is no good side in war" philosophy.

You don't know much history. The Wehrmacht commited most of the atrocities on the Eastern Front, with out any urging from Hitler or the Waffen SS. Afterall, they had Mein Kampf as guide for how they could behave.

Grovilis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#171 Grovilis
Member since 2008 • 3728 Posts

Choosing to not play the game due to being offended by such a thing is incredibly petty.

true_gamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 true_gamer007
Member since 2011 • 433 Posts

Why would britishers cry about what had happened centuries ago? Let them enjoy the new gameplay of ACIII.

Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
The same way (most) Russians, such as myself, will react to COD MW games: realize that this is a game and is not supposed to mimic real life.
diamondgeezer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 diamondgeezer1

The game takes place in Colonial America and in REAL LIFE, AMERICAN WINS. That is the reason why the British are the enemy, because if they won then the United States would have never founded.

This game is about as anti-British as WWII games are anti-German. This isn't something against modern British people so CALM THE HELL DOWN.

Delkura
In REAL LIFE the FRENCH SAVED AMERICA, without the french the usa would still be a british colony or at a least in the commonwealth. They supplied critical supplies, troops, blocked british ships and troops from landing and supplying all the way from the UK. The french were the decisive factor in the independance war the game should show this. Not to mention the UK was also at war with the dutch and spanish.
Brendissimo35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#177 Brendissimo35
Member since 2005 • 1934 Posts

I'm hoping it's more like Assassin's Creed 1, in that there are Templars among both warring sides who must be killed. Crusaders or Saladin's troops, it didn't matter if they were in the way of a target.

Jugman720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 Jugman720
I'm really depressed about AC3, they're going to ruin it with american patriotic s**t and just alienate everyone who isn't American! And in fact, the majority of Americans, at least in the modern generation, won't like this kind of crap! Only the extremely stupid believe the America version of history. The colonists were not the good guys, the British empire were not the good guys! They were just two large powers who were fighting over power and used legions of young men to fight and die for their own personal profit. If you believe any of the founding fathers were anything more then businessmen looking after their own interests you are an idiot and should be treated like one! The only reason why the British even lost that war was simply down to a re-supply problem. And even to distinguish the 'British' as being some kind of foreign invader is stupid, considering the British were the people who built the colonies! I will not be buying AC3 because it's going to piss all over the AC series and spurt off a load of patriotic america s**t and bad British accents. HOWEVER!! I have a feeling that AC3 is going to do something really cool, It's only a small feeling that I have, but I think it's going to turn out that the 'founding fathers' are templars! Now that would be more believable and it would be interesting! However, I think they will destroy the story and piss off the majority of level headed people.
Prince_Rhymz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 Prince_Rhymz
Member since 2012 • 107 Posts
What annoys me is ive never seen a plot line where Americans are the enemy.. Oh yeah because they ban it and deem it terrorist propaganda
diamondgeezer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 diamondgeezer1
well said prince, i wont be buy assassins creed 3 either . Enough of this fantasy fake american properganda hollywood bulls*it dont waste your time or money. Its funny because the americans almost entirely wiped out the native americans massacred them , and the native americans on the most part were on the british side. If the french weren't around during that time the game would be about how the rebels got beaten in a matter of a few months, if that ...
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#195 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

It's only a small feeling that I have, but I think it's going to turn out that the 'founding fathers' are templars! Now that would be more believable and it would be interesting!Jugman720

It's certainly possible. They said the game would take place before, during, and after the war at E3, so they could very well use that twist somewhere.

Jugman720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 Jugman720
"we've finally beaten the evil British, with the help of the French, but we'll never admit it that we didn't stand a chance without them, now let's wipe out an entire race of people"! How does that sound in ANY WAY like a noble and honorable story?! The french didn't want America to be a British colony, the British lost control and the colonists almost instantly commit genocide!
Prince_Rhymz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 Prince_Rhymz
Member since 2012 • 107 Posts
[QUOTE="Jugman720"]"we've finally beaten the evil British, with the help of the French, but we'll never admit it that we didn't stand a chance without them, now let's wipe out an entire race of people"! How does that sound in ANY WAY like a noble and honorable story?! The french didn't want America to be a British colony, the British lost control and the colonists almost instantly commit genocide!

Couldn't of put it better myself. But ah my friend the Americans have a habit of making themselves honourable and noble no matter what they do in history.
Jugman720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 Jugman720
Impressive isn't it? Sounds like a text book case of psychosis XD
amonkeyonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 amonkeyonfire
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

I wouldn't even mind being the bad guys, as long as it's done right, however I'm pretty damn sure British generals didn't stand around drinking tea out of small cups with saucers like in the Assassin's Creed III frontier game play, what? Did Conner disrupt his tea party or something? I bet there's nothing in that cup... I bet he's just pretending... you can't see it but the is a small table with dollies behind him...

and what's with the British ponce and his beauty mark in the E3 trailer? £10 says he's wearing women's underwear...

But none of this would bother me if the British rebels wheren't noble upstanding heroes looking onward nodding there head slowly at the slaughter of about 50 royal solders and some ponce on a horse, it wouldn't annoy me if said British rebelsdidn't make embarrassing sicking patriotic speeches on how they either "fight for freedom or become slaves! HOHARR!" yeah, taxes needed to defend country = slavery, you would think the Americans would have a better understanding of slavery , (yeah, I went there!), it wouldn't annoy me so much if Ubisoft and Conner himself didn't keep mentioning he's not fighting for either side but then goes and slaughters British solders while only being slightly rude to the British rebels.

I would feel ten times better if I saw a trailer, that depicts British rebels getting there arses handed to them or at least show them being hostile towards Conner in some way or Conner being hostile to them beyond being slightly rude to them, or AT LEAST show the french having a hand in the battle just something that gets away from the whole Americans are heroes who can do no wrong because they are always the heroes bull-crap.

KeredsBlaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 KeredsBlaze
Member since 2010 • 2049 Posts
who cares? America #1 baby