The article, "10 things to make the PS3 worth buying" to be retracted.

• 171 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

KeyWii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#151 KeyWii
Member since 2006 • 4884 Posts
[QUOTE="onemic"]Also when you consider the 1 year warranty and the fact that the PS3 is basically the most hardware error free out of all of the next-gen consoles then you can see why parkers argument was pretty off. Skylock00
Parker's argument isn't off at all, because I've never heard of any of this stuff until you mentioned it. Sony should, as a company, make it clear to me as a consumer regarding what their customer service regarding the PS3 will be like, because given my history with the PS1 and PS2, I'd personally like a little more assurance that I don't have to worry about anything when I get a PS3, whether or not it fails on me.

There have been absolutely no widespread reports of any faulty hardware. And perhaps GameSpot could actually do some reporting and find out how Sony intends to take care of it's customers instead of just assuming they won't.
Avatar image for PaintballinDude
PaintballinDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#152 PaintballinDude
Member since 2004 • 1092 Posts
[QUOTE="KeyWii"]Another thing... is there any Mod on Gamespot who is absolutely in love with the PS3? I have seen Nintendo, PC, and 360 diehards but no Playstation diehard.
Skylock00
I know plenty of mods and people who are in love with their PS2s, myself included, but at this point in time, I don't know too many people in general who are absolutely in love with their PS3s. There are a number of mods who own one, and enjoy several games on the platform.

Great so we have XBOX360 fans moding our forums.
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153 Skylock00
Member since 2002 • 20069 Posts
[QUOTE="PaintballinDude"] Great so we have XBOX360 fans moding our forums.

Where did I say that? Because I never said that. :| Don't put words in my mouth.
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 Skylock00
[QUOTE="KeyWii"] There have been absolutely no widespread reports of any faulty hardware. And perhaps GameSpot could actually do some reporting and find out how Sony intends to take care of it's customers instead of just assuming they won't.

But from the standpoint of a regular consumer in an editorial setting, Parker's point is still valid.
KeyWii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 KeyWii
[QUOTE="Skylock00"][QUOTE="KeyWii"] There have been absolutely no widespread reports of any faulty hardware. And perhaps GameSpot could actually do some reporting and find out how Sony intends to take care of it's customers instead of just assuming they won't.

But from the standpoint of a regular consumer in an editorial setting, Parker's point is still valid.

He's also Managing Editor at GameSpot, and as a managing editor, he has the responsibility to know the facts before making broad assumptions. 
onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 onemic
Member since 2003 • 5616 Posts
[QUOTE="onemic"]

This is the exact misinformation that GS has already spread onto you and others. Home has a centralized lobby system and you can play games straight from Home, go back to your living room with your friends, and go play another game. This wasn't only stated at the GDC conference, but at several interviews that other gaming press sites(most notably game trailers and 1up) had with Phil Harrison. It's things like this that get me pissed off about the article because many of the things they say are either just bs, or are extreme over exaggerations. Great examples of this is andrew parkers argument that the PS3 will be faulty(which it isn't) and Brian Eckbergs defense of achievement points and his argument that more or less suggests that the hall of fame is inferior to it.duxup

At this point if you’re buying everything Sony, Nintendo, or Microsoft says at face value I’m a bit shocked.

From the articles at other sites I’ve read they seemed to be pretty non specific about when you will be able to launch games from HOME. When talking about launching games the key concept seems to be that you will be able to, but “later”.

I think it would be awesome if you could on launch next fall, and I’m willing to bet the folks who wrote the article in question would agree. If you believe every word noted at a press conference, despite other reports that seem a great deal more vauge, good luck. That goes for believing anyone Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo.

Oddly even if they do offer such a feature on HOME launch day I’d say the article in question still applies in regards to things the PS3 needs.

Have you seen the 1up interview? It is quite clearly stated that the feature won't be implemented after the launch.
onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 onemic
[QUOTE="onemic"]Also when you consider the 1 year warranty and the fact that the PS3 is basically the most hardware error free out of all of the next-gen consoles then you can see why parkers argument was pretty off. Skylock00
Parker's argument isn't off at all, because I've never heard of any of this stuff until you mentioned it. Sony should, as a company, make it clear to me as a consumer regarding what their customer service regarding the PS3 will be like, because given my history with the PS1 and PS2, I'd personally like a little more assurance that I don't have to worry about anything when I get a PS3, whether or not it fails on me.

Why would they state it if there have been next to no problems with the ps3? It wouldn't make any sense. The only reason why microsoft stated anything regarding their customer service is because of the vast amount of people that had problems with their 360's a few weeks after launch. Why do you think nintendo says next to nothing about their customer service on the wii? Because like the ps3 there are barely any problems with the console. The only exception to that was with the wii straps, but once again that was only because of the reported problems a lot of people had with them breaking.

The fact alone that no one has been complaining about sony's customer service already speaks volumes on how they ae handling the problems people are having with the PS3. So yes PArkers argument is still pretty much moot.
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 Skylock00
[QUOTE="KeyWii"] He's also Managing Editor at GameSpot, and as a managing editor, he has the responsibility to know the facts before making broad assumptions.

That point aside, though, he's still completely accurate on Sony having a spotty history of hardware reliability, and there is nothing that was clearly stated or noted indicating a worry-free system for repairs and replacements from Sony, as far as I can tell. This isn't about whether or not the service exists, but in Sony expressing clearly to consumers that this sort of concern isn't one to be worried about.
osusfaith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 osusfaith
Member since 2006 • 7398 Posts
Wow man, I mean there were tons of 360 articles around it's launch criticizing it for various shortcomings (that sony fans used to bash the console.) Gamespot does 1 feature with constructive suggetions for Sony, and they game flamed. Man I can't believe the lengths some fanboys go to.
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 Skylock00
[QUOTE="onemic"] Why would they state it if there have been next to no problems with the ps3?

Because Sony has had a history of problems with the PS1 and PS2, thus creating a perception that they are a company where early adoptors are risking the chance to pick up faulty hardware. Ensuring consumers of a worry-free scenario regarding that situation would be a smart move for Sony, IMHO, and I don't see Parker's point as being problematic at all in that regard.
KeyWii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 KeyWii
[QUOTE="Skylock00"][QUOTE="onemic"] Why would they state it if there have been next to no problems with the ps3?

Because Sony has had a history of problems with the PS1 and PS2, thus creating a perception that they are a company where early adoptors are risking the chance to pick up faulty hardware. Ensuring consumers of a worry-free scenario regarding that situation would be a smart move for Sony, IMHO, and I don't see Parker's point as being problematic at all in that regard.

And this article would have uninformed readers believe the same problems that existed in past PlayStation consoles are currently plaguing the PS3, but they are not, there was no mention of that. I'm just saying, it's easy for an uninformed reader to get the wrong idea from Andrew's entry.

And like I said, GameSpot is a news organization. They have the muscle to find these things out for themselves, so why don't they? Actually educate the readers and themselves about Sony's policies regarding damaged PS3's.
ps2coolest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 ps2coolest
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
i love my ps3 and have had no probs that make it not buy worhy so sighned...
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 Skylock00
[QUOTE="KeyWii"] And this article would have uninformed readers believe the same problems that existed in past PlayStation consoles are currently plaguing the PS3, but they are not, there was no mention of that. I'm just saying, it's easy for an uninformed reader to get the wrong idea from Andrew's entry.

That's the reader's fault, not Andrew's, because he never says that PS3s are faulty, or that there's a trend of them being faulty.
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 Skylock00
They have the muscle to find these things out for themselves, so why don't they? Actually educate the readers and themselves about Sony's policies regarding damaged PS3's.
KeyWii
Because this is about Sony expressing to its consumers and potential consumers that they have nothing to worry about, not Gamespot doing that work for Sony.
KeyWii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 KeyWii
[QUOTE="Skylock00"][QUOTE="KeyWii"] And this article would have uninformed readers believe the same problems that existed in past PlayStation consoles are currently plaguing the PS3, but they are not, there was no mention of that. I'm just saying, it's easy for an uninformed reader to get the wrong idea from Andrew's entry.

That's the reader's fault, not Andrew's, because he never says that PS3s are faulty, or that there's a trend of them being faulty.

No. He does suggest there's a trend of them being faulty. He did so by pointing out Sony's past "spotty history"
onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 onemic
It still doesn't make any sense because the PS3 has already launched in NA and Japan. Sure if the ps3 was still yet to launch in any territory then his argument would be valid, but the fact that it's been released in two territories, there have been next to no complaints from ps3 users, the ps3 has been pretty much error free, and that there is a 1 year warranty on all ps3 consoles really shows that parkers argument is pretty much unfounded.
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 Skylock00
[QUOTE="KeyWii"] No. He does suggest there's a trend of them being faulty. He did so by pointing out Sony's past "spotty history"

..considering Sony's spotty history with hardware problems for both the original PlayStation and the PlayStation 2.Andrew Park
Again, he never says that the PS3 has a trend of hardware failures.
KeyWii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 KeyWii
[QUOTE="KeyWii"]They have the muscle to find these things out for themselves, so why don't they? Actually educate the readers and themselves about Sony's policies regarding damaged PS3's.
Skylock00
Because this is about Sony expressing to its consumers and potential consumers that they have nothing to worry about, not Gamespot doing that work for Sony.

A news outfit like GameSpot leaving themselves in the dark to the facts because it's 'not their job' is just unacceptable... GameSpot's job is to find these things out, especially when it's relevant.
Avatar image for PaintballinDude
PaintballinDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 PaintballinDude
Member since 2004 • 1092 Posts
"The Tipping Point" a negative article on a gaming console. The point of this is to say the system needs more improvements before it's worth the average consumers dollar. Thats a negative opinion against a gaming console with many comparsions to the Xbox360, In the article even complains about an free online service and gloats upon GeOW. Do you really except me, a Playstation 3 owner to look at that article and say, yes sony has failed. I should not of paid the money for the system with a positive outlook? Or do you use common sense and realize that people that already bought the system, obviously thought the purchase was fair or they would not of bought one. The launch was criticized, the games are, but look at the xbox 360's launch. Does anyone care to even compare PDZ to R:FOM? I think everyone knows which game is better. In the end the article claims that he would not purchase the system until some things are improved upon. Basically condemning my purchase, It could not be simply things sony needs to improve upon, it was to make it worth buying.
KeyWii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 KeyWii
[QUOTE="Skylock00"][QUOTE="KeyWii"] No. He does suggest there's a trend of them being faulty. He did so by pointing out Sony's past "spotty history"

..considering Sony's spotty history with hardware problems for both the original PlayStation and the PlayStation 2.Andrew Parker
Again, he never says that the PS3 has a trend of hardware failures.

I never said he said that, I said he suggests. Which he clearly does. If he wasn't suggesting hardware problems on the PS3 exactly what was he talking about?
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 Skylock00
[QUOTE="KeyWii"] A news outfit like GameSpot leaving themselves in the dark to the facts because it's 'not their job' is just unacceptable... GameSpot's job is to find these things out, especially when it's relevant.

You are ignoring my point completely, which was that the point being expressed by Park was that Sony themselves should make it clear to their consumers that there's nothing to worry about in terms of investing in a PS3 now. That is all that he was expressing by that point. The points that you guys are deriving are not based on what he actually said.

At this point in time, I'm finding that trying to reason with you all is simply becoming too taxing, giving your clear insistance to not even budge on your stance, regardless of what I try to say or do here.
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 Skylock00
[QUOTE="KeyWii"] I never said he said that, I said he suggests. Which he clearly does. If he wasn't suggesting hardware problems on the PS3 exactly what was he talking about?

He was talking about Sony's history, which is relevent to any consumer who might be concerned about the PS3 having hardware issues, and wanting to be sure that even if there was a problem, they have nothing to worry about.
KeyWii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 KeyWii
[QUOTE="Skylock00"][QUOTE="KeyWii"] I never said he said that, I said he suggests. Which he clearly does. If he wasn't suggesting hardware problems on the PS3 exactly what was he talking about?

He was talking about Sony's history, which is relevent to any consumer who might be concerned about the PS3 having hardware issues, and wanting to be sure that even if there was a problem, they have nothing to worry about.

It boils down to this. When discussing Sony's "spotty history" with the PlayStation and how that relates to the PS3's possiblefuture problems. Do you feel it is important to mention Sony's current history with the PS3? Which is almost completely spotless?
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 Skylock00
[QUOTE="KeyWii"] It boils down to this. When discussing Sony's "spotty history" with the PlayStation and how that relates to the PS3. Do you feel it is important to mention Sony's current history with the PS3? Which is almost completely spotless?

Again, that has nothing to do with the point he was expressing at that point in time.
onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 onemic
[QUOTE="Skylock00"][QUOTE="KeyWii"] I never said he said that, I said he suggests. Which he clearly does. If he wasn't suggesting hardware problems on the PS3 exactly what was he talking about?

You just answered keywii's question. By what you just said you are basically saying that he is suggesting that similar things might happen witht he ps3.
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 Skylock00
You just answered keywii's question. By what you just said you are basically saying that he is suggesting that similar things might happen witht he ps3. onemic
Actually, I didn't say that or imply that, and I don't think Andrew did either, but it's become clear that what I say simply doesn't seem to matter.
duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#177 duxup
Member since 2002 • 43443 Posts

Have you seen the 1up interview? It is quite clearly stated that the feature won't be implemented after the launch.onemic
I didn't hear him say anything about that being available at launch, there was a lot of musing there about things that could happen, but not when. I guess we could go back and forth about that but even if I were assume it would be available with HOME on day 1, I think the criticism about the lack of such a system is still a valid one now (when the article has been posted).
Kevin-V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#178 Kevin-V
Member since 2006 • 5418 Posts
I am locking this thread. Just to be clear, moderators have nothing to do with editorial content. Those that are turning their negative energy towards the moderation staff as if they had anything to do with that article or any other are misappropriating their energies.

We appreciate actual feedback regarding our editorial content, and will take any legitimate concerns into consideration. However, if you wish to discuss the content of the article, there are appropriate places to do so outside of this forum. We believe the article stands on its own quite well, and sensational claims of bias are just that: sensational claims.
Jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 Jeff
Member since 2002 • 4005 Posts

After Sony's victory at GDC, this article just suddenly popped up. I question their intention yet only lead them of being biased.

This article should kindly be removed.

Animeninja7

Hi, and thanks for your feedback. We have no intentions of removing this article.

Considering your use of the term "victory" to describe a flurry of corporate announcements from all of the hardware manufacturers, you may want to visit our System Wars forum, where that sort of mindset thrives. Aside from the awards ceremony, there were no "winners" or "losers" at GDC. Just businesses, doing what they can to earn your trust and, ideally, your money.