The article, "10 things to make the PS3 worth buying" to be retracted.

• 171 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gsup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#101 gsup
Member since 2004 • 41 Posts

Damn journalists damn hater !! sign !!

icstars2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102 icstars2
Member since 2006 • 12385 Posts
i also sign this! :) *signs*
wallypinkerton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 wallypinkerton
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
signed
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 Skylock00
Member since 2002 • 20069 Posts
Also, just a point...the chances that creating a petition against an article like this actually causing them to remove it is beyond slim, as far as I can tell. And bear in mind, the article is about what are things that could be changed to make it go from a maybe-have to a must-have for the editors, and isn't written in a way to say that it isn't worth it for anyone else out there.
serendibs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 serendibs
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
Signed.

I can't believe Gamespot would go this far to discredit Sony PS3. 

It's outrageous given that PS3 just came out few months ago. 
caddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#106 caddy
Member since 2005 • 28709 Posts
I think the editorial is perfectly fine. Whilst i can see why some Sony fans would feel it was offensive in some way because of the title, when reading through the feature it is easy to see that GameSpot are not being biased. They are being truthful. Of course, everybody can disagree and its most likely that everybody will disagree with some aspects of it but to say the whole thing is bias and offensive isn't valid. Some of the editors that contributed to the editorial have a PS3 themselves, Aaron even says it there yet they still claim that there some things that would make it worth the price they would be paying/already paid. They are not bashing the system itself, but merely some of the minor problems that are stopping others from buying one.
silentmobius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 silentmobius
Member since 2003 • 1034 Posts
Signed The mods, have yet to explain why this sort of article has yet to be written for the Xbox 360, despite numerous hardware problems and the Wii, despite online being almost nonexistant and lack of upcoming quality titles.
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 Skylock00
The mods, have yet to explain why this sort of article has yet to be written for the Xbox 360, despite numerous hardware problems and the Wii, despite online being almost nonexistant and lack of upcoming quality titles.silentmobius
I don't have to explain anything like that to you, because I don't know what the administration and editors plan on doing, or why exactly why they do things, and honestly, given the level of hostility some people demonstrate here, I suspect that NOTHING will satisfy what you all want, since your minds seem already convinced that there's a widespread bias against Sony on this site.

The article has some negative comments against the PS3, sure, but in general, the mood being expressed is that the PS3 is 'almost there,' that there's just a few things about the system and its games that needs to be resolved before it becomes a must have product.
silentmobius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 silentmobius
[QUOTE="silentmobius"]The mods, have yet to explain why this sort of article has yet to be written for the Xbox 360, despite numerous hardware problems and the Wii, despite online being almost nonexistant and lack of upcoming quality titles.Skylock00
I don't have to explain anything like that to you, because I don't know what the administration and editors plan on doing, or why exactly why they do things, and honestly, given the level of hostility some people demonstrate here, I suspect that NOTHING will satisfy what you all want, since your minds seem already convinced that there's a widespread bias against Sony on this site.

The article has some negative comments against the PS3, sure, but in general, the mood being expressed is that the PS3 is 'almost there,' that there's just a few things about the system and its games that needs to be resolved before it becomes a must have product.

So you don't admit that there are legitimate problems and concerns with the other 2 consoles that need to be addressed. All I'm saying is that if the want to do it for the PS3, so be it. But why not also, the Wii and Xbox 360. It's like having 3 kids and scolding only one of them, when the 3 of them should be scolded for doing something wrong. Do you agree or disagree?
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 Skylock00
[QUOTE="silentmobius"]So you don't admit that there are legitimate problems and concerns with the other 2 consoles that need to be addressed. All I'm saying is that if the want to do it for the PS3, so be it. But why not also, the Wii and Xbox 360. It's like having 3 kids and scolding only one of them, when the 3 of them should be scolded for doing something wrong. Do you agree or disagree?

I'll vocally admit that there are problems about the 360 and the Wii that I'd like to see fixed, but this isn't about me.

It might be nice to see other articles on the other platforms, too, but that doesn't justify this level of response from the users at all, IMHO.

Of the three platforms, the one that I think deserves the most scrutiny is the PS3, given that on top of everything else, it is simply the most expensive console we've seen come across in years, and therefore it needs to prove itself moreso than other platforms to make the investment seem meaningful, personally.
silentmobius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 silentmobius
[QUOTE="Skylock00"][QUOTE="silentmobius"]So you don't admit that there are legitimate problems and concerns with the other 2 consoles that need to be addressed. All I'm saying is that if the want to do it for the PS3, so be it. But why not also, the Wii and Xbox 360. It's like having 3 kids and scolding only one of them, when the 3 of them should be scolded for doing something wrong. Do you agree or disagree?

I'll vocally admit that there are problems about the 360 and the Wii that I'd like to see fixed, but this isn't about me.

It might be nice to see other articles on the other platforms, too, but that doesn't justify this level of response from the users at all, IMHO.

Of the three platforms, the one that I think deserves the most scrutiny is the PS3, given that on top of everything else, it is simply the most expensive console we've seen come across in years, and therefore it needs to prove itself moreso than other platforms to make the investment seem meaningful, personally.

Well, thanks a lot for even talking about this. We don't exactly have to agree, but I'm glad that we can at least have a civil discussion. BTW, I listened to your track "surrounding fields". Nice work, although I'm not much of an LTJ Bukem fan. I much prefer Goldie, Grooverider, Roni Size and let's not forget High Contrast.
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts
[QUOTE="Zeke129"]I never really claimed it to be an insightful editorial into how Gamespot works. And the reason I will issue an apology is because it was, well, rude. I made it clear that it was just satire, really nothing more.
Skylock00
Perhaps, but I'm pretty sure that a sizable portion of readers might take it as more literal than you might've have meant for it to be taken.

people are too deep in to see the forest from the trees anymore.
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts

Remove what they feel is their own personal opinion?

Sorry, it doesn't sound logical to me.

ToScA-
the problem is that people seem to be under the impression that this is a 100% news reporting website. it is perhaps 30% news reporting, but it is unashamedly 70%+ PUNDIT COMMENTARY. this is a site where these people get paid to give their OPINION. Just like Bill O'Rilley. Just like Keith Olbherman. Just like Shaun Hannity. Alan Combs. Larry King. Etc. etc. etc. But people want to think about them as the news anchors who simply give us news information and add no commentary of their own. sorry to break it to so many of you kids, but this is a site of gaming pundits. they commentate on what they do and don't like, and that's how it has always been. now if you fanboys are too ignorant, too young or too deep into your fanboyism to understand what the site is and has always been, you need to go take a good break from Gamespot and its forums and come back when you've grown the hell up. the posts I've seen and the amount of crying going on is absolutely ridiculous. kids are acting like their dad shot their dog Spot.
skatefordinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 skatefordinner
Member since 2003 • 99 Posts
signed with blood
bengilder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 bengilder
Member since 2004 • 505 Posts
Im a Owner of all 3 systems and i cant belive GS did this. Yea sure they give many games for the PS3 and Wii reviews bad (definatly the PS3) but what ever happened with the 360 wheres are the bad reviews for that.... sure theres a few but not much, which is strange Signed with everything i got
Toreal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 Toreal
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

Gamespot was my nr 1 gaming website for years, but things have been going downhill for a longtime now. They need th hire new people, most of the editors seem burned out when they appear on video. They put out articles like this and their "fans" are outraged. The article in itself is ok, but not the depth they go to just to give ps3 a bad name. But this seems to be a trend these days, hating on sony and ps3. Its sad to see an entire gamesite become biased. I thought it was about games, games and more games.

duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#118 duxup
Member since 2002 • 43443 Posts
Actually retracting such an article would be a mistake. Personally I’m a bit shocked by the rabid response to an article that indicates things that could be done to improve the PS3. I seriously question if many of the users read the entire article and comprehended it beyond some personal discomfort. God forbid points of view contrary to our own appear on a gaming site, if it does it must be “the bias!”
bue255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 bue255
Member since 2004 • 44 Posts
I kind of want the article to be there as it is a clear exampel of how biased GS is against sony. But then agian the unjustified negative publicity has to stop some time. So...... Signed.
KeyWii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 KeyWii
Member since 2006 • 4884 Posts
[QUOTE="duxup"]Actually retracting such an article would be a mistake. Personally I’m a bit shocked by the rabid response to an article that indicates things that could be done to improve the PS3. I seriously question if many of the users read the entire article and comprehended it beyond some personal discomfort. God forbid points of view contrary to our own appear on a gaming site, if it does it must be “the bias!”

I don't think the article needs to be retracted. But it definitely needs some cleaning up... Perhaps a title change as well.
meischris39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#121 meischris39
Member since 2004 • 5432 Posts
Oh go on then ill sign.
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 Skylock00
[QUOTE="bengilder"] but what ever happened with the 360 wheres are the bad reviews for that.... sure theres a few but not much, which is strange

Well, for starters, what about Crackdown, which was reviewed a bit below what the average for the game was? What games should have Gamespot given bad reviews for the 360, out of curiosity?
KeyWii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 KeyWii
[QUOTE="Skylock00"][QUOTE="bengilder"] but what ever happened with the 360 wheres are the bad reviews for that.... sure theres a few but not much, which is strange

Well, for starters, what about Crackdown, which was reviewed a bit below what the average for the game was? What games should have Gamespot given bad reviews for the 360, out of curiosity?

I don't think anyone can look to one review and claim that as an example of being biased or not biased, after all, they're all reviewed by different people generally. One thing GameSpot could do to earn my respect back is is have the same feature they just did on the PS3 for the Xbox 360 and Wii as well. But obviously, they already think those consoles are worth buying and the PS3 is not, which is ironic, since you definitely get the most bang for your buck with the PS3. I have to wonder how many GameSpot editors own HDTVs at home. But anyway, like I said this article should be titled "10 Reasons Why the PS3 is Not Worth Buying", and this article could have easily been about the Wii or the Xbox 360.
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Skylock00
[QUOTE="KeyWii"][QUOTE="Skylock00"][QUOTE="bengilder"] but what ever happened with the 360 wheres are the bad reviews for that.... sure theres a few but not much, which is strange

I don't think anyone can look to one review and claim that as an example of being biased or not biased, after all, they're all reviewed by different people generally.

No, but I've been trying to see where GS has been grossly and unfairly underscoring PS3 games, because I simply don't see it at all, and people also claim that GS always over-rates 360 games, when here is at least one example of something that's not the case that took me no time to look up.

Lastly, in regards to the PS3 giving you more for your buck, that's only if you care for some of the features in the system outside of gaming, which I don't. Being a blu-ray player doesn't change my viewpoint that the system is priced higher than I'll ever be comfortable spending on a game system, period. The article's current title is fine, and the content relfects the intent of the title.
KeyWii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 KeyWii
Another thing. It's important we look at the whole picture. Is it really this one feature that made people suddenly blow up or has there been a recent history or build up that caused this? Obviously, there's more to it. We look back at the beginning of 2007, GameSpot's Most Wanted. (No exclusive PS3 game) And before that the graphical comparison. (Madden has no shadows, Fight Night Round 3 definitely looks better on the PS3) And now this most recent feature, it seems like GameSpot has it out for the PS3. Especially when this comes fresh off the heel's of Sony's great GDC. GameSpot seems to be shaking it's head and saying, "Not good enough" Let's see, Sony just gave you the best of both worlds (things championed on this website and others, Gamerscore / Mii's) And now thats not good enough for you guys? Okay.
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 Skylock00
[QUOTE="KeyWii"]Another thing. It's important we look at the whole picture. Is it really this one feature that made people suddenly blow up or has there been a recent history or build up that caused this? Obviously, there's more to it. We look back at the beginning of 2007, GameSpot's Most Wanted. (No exclusive PS3 game) And before that the graphical comparison. (Madden has no shadows, Fight Night Round 3 definitely looks better on the PS3) And now this most recent feature, it seems like GameSpot has it out for the PS3. Especially when this comes fresh off the heel's of Sony's great GDC. GameSpot seems to be shaking it's head and saying, "Not good enough" Let's see, Sony just gave you the best of both worlds (things championed on this website and others, Gamerscore / Mii's) And now thats not good enough for you guys? Okay.

GS is hardly the only one who made graphical comparisons between the PS3 and 360 where the 360 was made out to be better looking. In addition, this article doesn't say that the PS3 is a worthless system, or that it's even a BAD system. It simply states that there are a few aspects that need to be ironed out to make that $500-600 invstment more worth it.

Case in point: Yes, Home is cool, but it won't have, out of the gate, a means of having a centralized lobby where users can meet, and drop into a game, which means that from a functional standpoint against XBL, it doesn't hold up yet even as a concpet at this time, and is definitely 'not good enough' as a competitor against XBL from a functional standpoint at this time.

As I've said multiple times before, this sort of perception that people have about GS seems to happen in cycles, where every so often, they're viewed as being biased against some company for reasons that are mostly speculative or sensationalized. If you want to keep yourself grounded in that mentality, fine, but I really doubt that this mentality will persist about GS when the latter part of this year comes, the better games for the PS3 comes out, and GS gives those stronger titles the credit and recognization they'll earn.
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 Skylock00
Also, KeyWii, not to come off as a troll or anything, BUT...can you list off notable PS3 exclusives that are coming out this year that would have been worthy of the 'most wanted' list?
KeyWii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 KeyWii
GS is hardly the only one who made graphical comparisons between the PS3 and 360 where the 360 was made out to be better looking. In addition, this article doesn't say that the PS3 is a worthless system, or that it's even a BAD system. It simply states that there are a few aspects that need to be ironed out to make that $500-600 invstment more worth it.

Case in point: Yes, Home is cool, but it won't have, out of the gate, a means of having a centralized lobby where users can meet, and drop into a game, which means that from a functional standpoint against XBL, it doesn't hold up yet even as a concpet at this time, and is definitely 'not good enough' as a competitor against XBL from a functional standpoint at this time.

As I've said multiple times before, this sort of perception that people have about GS seems to happen in cycles, where every so often, they're viewed as being biased against some company for reasons that are mostly speculative or sensationalized. If you want to keep yourself grounded in that mentality, fine, but I really doubt that this mentality will persist about GS when the latter part of this year comes, the better games for the PS3 comes out, and GS gives those stronger titles the credit and recognization they'll earn.Skylock00

How confident are you that Home will not have a centralized lobby where players can join games, right out of the gate? The trailer for Home said the exact opposite.
KeyWii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 KeyWii
Also, KeyWii, not to come off as a troll or anything, BUT...can you list off notable PS3 exclusives that are coming out this year that would have been worthy of the 'most wanted' list?Skylock00
The most obvious title, many expected to see: Metal Gear Solid 4. But there are plenty of other PS3 titles scheduled for 2007. I think it's strange how many X360 titles made the cut...
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 Skylock00
How confident are you that Home will not have a centralized lobby where players can join games, right out of the gate? The trailer for Home said the exact opposite.KeyWii
How? Easy. Sony said that themselves - Taken directly from Sony's own Third Party Relations Q&A file:

Q: Can you enter, say, MotorStormTM quickly through Home without having to travel to the specific MotorStormTM lobby?

Currently, users can find each other in Home, and then arrange to go off and play MotorStormTM at the same time. Eventually, users will be able to meet in Home and seamlessly launch into a game of MotorStormTM. Similarly, users will be able to exit to Home directly from the game.

Source
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 Skylock00
[QUOTE="Skylock00"]Also, KeyWii, not to come off as a troll or anything, BUT...can you list off notable PS3 exclusives that are coming out this year that would have been worthy of the 'most wanted' list?KeyWii
The most obvious title, many expected to see: Metal Gear Solid 4. But there are plenty of other PS3 titles scheduled for 2007. I think it's strange how many X360 titles made the cut...

I personally have doubts of MGS4 making it this year...and I've been personally scrounging around for any other PS3 exclusives that are notable for this year...with little luck, myself.
KeyWii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 KeyWii
[QUOTE="Skylock00"][QUOTE="KeyWii"][QUOTE="Skylock00"][QUOTE="bengilder"] but what ever happened with the 360 wheres are the bad reviews for that.... sure theres a few but not much, which is strange

I don't think anyone can look to one review and claim that as an example of being biased or not biased, after all, they're all reviewed by different people generally.

No, but I've been trying to see where GS has been grossly and unfairly underscoring PS3 games, because I simply don't see it at all, and people also claim that GS always over-rates 360 games, when here is at least one example of something that's not the case that took me no time to look up.

Lastly, in regards to the PS3 giving you more for your buck, that's only if you care for some of the features in the system outside of gaming, which I don't. Being a blu-ray player doesn't change my viewpoint that the system is priced higher than I'll ever be comfortable spending on a game system, period. The article's current title is fine, and the content relfects the intent of the title.

Actually if you go look at the top 5 rated games for the Xbox 360, all of them are rated higher than the average. The most glaring being Perfect Dark Zero, which is rated almost an entire point higher at GameSpot. But I am really not interested in this discussion. In my view PS3 is only $100 more than the Xbox 360. You'll get blu-ray, which like it or not, is used for games. I am not comfortable spending $400 on an Xbox 360 whose library, past, present, and future is dominated by shooters. Even the most anticipated RPG for the Xbox is still very much a shooter. I guess the thing is, I know I didn't want the Xbox 360, so I skipped it and waited for the PS3. Only $100 more and only 1 year later. I guess I could see how if you already bought the Xbox 360 you may have trouble laying down the money for another next-gen system of your own, but is that really the way GameSpot should approach it? I don't think so.
KeyWii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 KeyWii
[QUOTE="KeyWii"]How confident are you that Home will not have a centralized lobby where players can join games, right out of the gate? The trailer for Home said the exact opposite.Skylock00
How? Easy. Sony said that themselves - Taken directly from Sony's own Third Party Relations Q&A file:

Q: Can you enter, say, MotorStormTM quickly through Home without having to travel to the specific MotorStormTM lobby?

Currently, users can find each other in Home, and then arrange to go off and play MotorStormTM at the same time. Eventually, users will be able to meet in Home and seamlessly launch into a game of MotorStormTM. Similarly, users will be able to exit to Home directly from the game.

Source

That was speaking for March 7th, 2007. Not for November or December of 2007 when Home will actually launch. See, this is the kind of mentality people don't like seeing from GameSpot. Being judgmental and speculative before it's even released.
Mar044

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#134 Mar044
Member since 2006 • 1357 Posts
signed.
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 Skylock00
[QUOTE="KeyWii"] In my view PS3 is only $100 more than the Xbox 360. You'll get blu-ray, which like it or not, is used for games. I am not comfortable spending $400 on an Xbox 360 whose library, past, present, and future is dominated by shooters. Even the most anticipated RPG for the Xbox is still very much a shooter. I guess the thing is, I know I didn't want the Xbox 360, so I skipped it and waited for the PS3. Only $100 more and only 1 year later. I guess I could see how if you already bought the Xbox 360 you may have trouble laying down the money for another next-gen system of your own, but is that really the way GameSpot should approach it? I don't think so.

It's $100 if you can find a 20GB model, which I have yet to have done ever since the system launched, so for all intents and purposes, if I wanted to get one, it's going to be $200 more. The 360's library is more diverse than you let on, and for 2007 contains more exclusives for it than the PS3 from what I can tell, and a lot of high profile games that the PS3 has, including the likes of Virtua Fighter 5 and GTA IV. Most of what the PS3 has to offer in terms of games and stuff doesn't look to be coming our way until at least 2008, which is the earliest I even expect myself to buy it.

For someone like me, who wants to know which system is more worth it for me, since I don't own either yet, and especially when I don't factor in movie playback abilities into either my purchase or console usage, it's going to take more to convince me that the PS3 is worth my investment.
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 Skylock00
[QUOTE="KeyWii"] That was speaking for March 7th, 2007. Not for November or December of 2007 when Home will actually launch. See, this is the kind of mentality people don't like seeing from GameSpot. Being judgmental and speculative before it's even released.

Why would Sony say something like that, if it wasn't referring to what Home would be like when it launches initially, and it actually deals with users? I'm not speculating, I'm not being judgemental, I'm simply posting something that Sony wrote themselves regarding Home, and this has nothing to do with GS at the moment. :|
onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 onemic
Member since 2003 • 5616 Posts
[QUOTE="Skylock00"][QUOTE="KeyWii"]Another thing. It's important we look at the whole picture. Is it really this one feature that made people suddenly blow up or has there been a recent history or build up that caused this? Obviously, there's more to it. We look back at the beginning of 2007, GameSpot's Most Wanted. (No exclusive PS3 game) And before that the graphical comparison. (Madden has no shadows, Fight Night Round 3 definitely looks better on the PS3) And now this most recent feature, it seems like GameSpot has it out for the PS3. Especially when this comes fresh off the heel's of Sony's great GDC. GameSpot seems to be shaking it's head and saying, "Not good enough" Let's see, Sony just gave you the best of both worlds (things championed on this website and others, Gamerscore / Mii's) And now thats not good enough for you guys? Okay.

This is the exact misinformation that GS has already spread onto you and others. Home has a centralized lobby system and you can play games straight from Home, go back to your living room with your friends, and go play another game. This wasn't only stated at the GDC conference, but at several interviews that other gaming press sites(most notably game trailers and 1up) had with Phil Harrison. It's things like this that get me pissed off about the article because many of the things they say are either just bs, or are extreme over exaggerations. Great examples of this are Andrew Parkers argument that the PS3 will be faulty(which it isn't) and Brian Eckbergs defense of achievement points and his argument that more or less suggests that the hall of fame is inferior to it.

Also might I remind you of a similar themed article that IGN wrote here. Why didn't anyone at IGN cry foul? Because unlike GS, IGN didn't spend time making up exaggerations and constantly praise the 360 while denouncing the PS3. The criticisms they made were well written as well and quite frankly didn't contain any of the misinformation that the GS article had.
mjf249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#138 mjf249
Member since 2004 • 3000 Posts
It seems as if GameSpot is always hitting on the PS3 no matter the news-- I come here for unbiased news, and opinions. Did you guys lose your self-dignity for fairness of games? Because Greg Kasavin was a fine example of 'fairness' on behalf off all systems. I am starting to get infuriated with GameSpot. I just think it's insanely unacceptable considering how much of this 'nitpicking' at Home is-- you guys don't know anything about it. Talking about micro-transactions, and all that stuff-- no one knows the true extent of Home yet, so please don't be mis informing consumers who are about to buy PS3s it's not fair, nor is it very professional. I also ask that YOU editors who've I've had a profound respect for and being a consistent user of GameSpot, please on our behalf of fairness please quit. Sometimes the behavior hear reminds me heavily of my subscription to Official Xbox Magazine in 2001-2003 hearing biased and fanboyism-- need I remind you this is GAMESPOT not OXM. I expect a great deal of professionalism on your behalf.
KeyWii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 KeyWii
[QUOTE="Skylock00"][QUOTE="KeyWii"] In my view PS3 is only $100 more than the Xbox 360. You'll get blu-ray, which like it or not, is used for games. I am not comfortable spending $400 on an Xbox 360 whose library, past, present, and future is dominated by shooters. Even the most anticipated RPG for the Xbox is still very much a shooter. I guess the thing is, I know I didn't want the Xbox 360, so I skipped it and waited for the PS3. Only $100 more and only 1 year later. I guess I could see how if you already bought the Xbox 360 you may have trouble laying down the money for another next-gen system of your own, but is that really the way GameSpot should approach it? I don't think so.

It's $100 if you can find a 20GB model, which I have yet to have done ever since the system launched, so for all intents and purposes, if I wanted to get one, it's going to be $200 more. The 360's library is more diverse than you let on, and for 2007 contains more exclusives for it than the PS3 from what I can tell, and a lot of high profile games that the PS3 has, including the likes of Virtua Fighter 5 and GTA IV. Most of what the PS3 has to offer in terms of games and stuff doesn't look to be coming our way until at least 2008, which is the earliest I even expect myself to buy it.

For someone like me, who wants to know which system is more worth it for me, since I don't own either yet, and especially when I don't factor in movie playback abilities into either my purchase or console usage, it's going to take more to convince me that the PS3 is worth my investment.

Well I was able to purchase a 20GB model so I guess I'm just lucky.
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 Skylock00
[QUOTE="onemic"] This is the exact misinformation that GS has already spread onto you and others. Home has a centralized lobby system and you can play games straight from Home, go back to your living room with your friends, and go play another game. This wasn't only stated at the GDC conference, but at several interviews that other gaming press sites(most notably game trailers and 1up) had with Phil Harrison. It's things like this that get me pissed off about the article because many of the things they say are either just bs, or are extreme over exaggerations. Great examples of this is andrew parkers argument that the PS3 will be faulty(which it isn't) and Brian Eckbergs defense of achievement points and his argument that more or less suggests that the hall of fame is inferior to it.

It wasn't misinformation from GS, it was my own research that I came across regarding Home. Look above for the document that I'm referring to. Furthermore, Parkers doesn't say that PS3s are faulty, but hat he wants a sense that IF there are problems, the means to getting the system replaced is easy and painless, from what I read, which is a valid concern to have as a consumer.
KeyWii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 KeyWii
[QUOTE="Skylock00"][QUOTE="KeyWii"] That was speaking for March 7th, 2007. Not for November or December of 2007 when Home will actually launch. See, this is the kind of mentality people don't like seeing from GameSpot. Being judgmental and speculative before it's even released.

Why would Sony say something like that, if it wasn't referring to what Home would be like when it launches initially, and it actually deals with users? I'm not speculating, I'm not being judgemental, I'm simply posting something that Sony wrote themselves regarding Home, and this has nothing to do with GS at the moment. :|

You should watch the official trailer for home. It directly contradicts what you were saying and it was, for sure, speaking of the capabilities of Home when it's released.
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 Skylock00
[QUOTE="KeyWii"] You should watch the official trailer for home. It directly contradicts what you were saying and it was, for sure, speaking of the capabilities of Home when it's released.

I did watch the trailer for Home, but I also read the Third Party Relations Q&A Document, which I linked to earlier.
onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 onemic
Member since 2003 • 5616 Posts
[QUOTE="Skylock00"][QUOTE="onemic"] This is the exact misinformation that GS has already spread onto you and others. Home has a centralized lobby system and you can play games straight from Home, go back to your living room with your friends, and go play another game. This wasn't only stated at the GDC conference, but at several interviews that other gaming press sites(most notably game trailers and 1up) had with Phil Harrison. It's things like this that get me pissed off about the article because many of the things they say are either just bs, or are extreme over exaggerations. Great examples of this is andrew parkers argument that the PS3 will be faulty(which it isn't) and Brian Eckbergs defense of achievement points and his argument that more or less suggests that the hall of fame is inferior to it.

It wasn't misinformation from GS, it was my own research that I came across regarding Home. Look above for the document that I'm referring to. Furthermore, Parkers doesn't say that PS3s are faulty, but hat he wants a sense that IF there are problems, the means to getting the system replaced is easy and painless, from what I read, which is a valid concern to have as a consumer.

But the fact is that everyone who has a PS3 has had great customer service from them. If you looked at the ps3 forums there are a whole ton of people that have stated that sony gave them new ps3's in just a few days after they reported their problem to the customer service department and sent out their ps3. Also when you consider the 1 year warranty and the fact that the PS3 is basically the most hardware error free out of all of the next-gen consoles then you can see why parkers argument was pretty off.

His whole point is pretty much moot as all the things that he stated are stuff no one needs to worry about since sony is already doing a good job with their customer service regarding the ps3.
duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#144 duxup
Member since 2002 • 43443 Posts
[QUOTE="onemic"] This is the exact misinformation that GS has already spread onto you and others. Home has a centralized lobby system and you can play games straight from Home, go back to your living room with your friends, and go play another game. This wasn't only stated at the GDC conference, but at several interviews that other gaming press sites(most notably game trailers and 1up) had with Phil Harrison. It's things like this that get me pissed off about the article because many of the things they say are either just bs, or are extreme over exaggerations. Great examples of this is andrew parkers argument that the PS3 will be faulty(which it isn't) and Brian Eckbergs defense of achievement points and his argument that more or less suggests that the hall of fame is inferior to it.

At this point if you’re buying everything Sony, Nintendo, or Microsoft says at face value I’m a bit shocked. From the articles at other sites I’ve read they seemed to be pretty non specific about when you will be able to launch games from HOME. When talking about launching games the key concept seems to be that you will be able to, but “later”. I think it would be awesome if you could on launch next fall, and I’m willing to bet the folks who wrote the article in question would agree. If you believe every word noted at a press conference, despite other reports that seem a great deal more vauge, good luck. That goes for believing anyone Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo. Oddly even if they do offer such a feature on HOME launch day I’d say the article in question still applies in regards to things the PS3 needs.
KeyWii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 KeyWii
Another thing... is there any Mod on Gamespot who is absolutely in love with the PS3? I have seen Nintendo, PC, and 360 diehards but no Playstation diehard.
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 Skylock00
Also when you consider the 1 year warranty and the fact that the PS3 is basically the most hardware error free out of all of the next-gen consoles then you can see why parkers argument was pretty off. onemic
Parker's argument isn't off at all, because I've never heard of any of this stuff until you mentioned it. Sony should, as a company, make it clear to me as a consumer regarding what their customer service regarding the PS3 will be like, because given my history with the PS1 and PS2, I'd personally like a little more assurance that I don't have to worry about anything when I get a PS3, whether or not it fails on me.
Avatar image for PaintballinDude
PaintballinDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 PaintballinDude
Member since 2004 • 1092 Posts

Im a bit shocked that GS wants no one to call them biased in the forums, then goes and publishes an article saying that my 600 dollars isnt worth crap, and the game spot reviewers dont even own a playstation 3.

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 Skylock00
Another thing... is there any Mod on Gamespot who is absolutely in love with the PS3? I have seen Nintendo, PC, and 360 diehards but no Playstation diehard.
KeyWii
I know plenty of mods and people who are in love with their PS2s, myself included, but at this point in time, I don't know too many people in general who are absolutely in love with their PS3s. There are a number of mods who own one, and enjoy several games on the platform.
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 Skylock00

Im a bit shocked that GS wants no one to call them biased in the forums, then goes and publishes an article saying that my 600 dollars isnt worth crap, and the game spot reviewers dont even own a playstation 3.

PaintballinDude

If you think the article was saying that the PS3 isn't worth crap, you really didn't read the article, because that wasn't what was being expressed.