This topic is locked from further discussion.

michaelP4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 michaelP4
Member since 2004 • 16681 Posts
In response to the upcoming changes to GameSpot: I have just learnt that unions and UCBs will not be joining us in the new GameSpot to come. While I don't mind the other changes listed in the article linked, I am concerned about the decommissioning of unions. Sure, I understand why you're taking them away, but I would also have something in place to compensate for their loss. Why not create boards for the unions that are still reasonably active? They can be hidden. They don't have to be listed on the main boards, but they'd at least provide some sort of continuity and would ease the transition. It doesn't seem right to just terminate them completely - these are well established communities we're talking about here. They have been resiliently kept afloat - that must count for something. While I am aware that these changes have probably been planned for months and carefully thought out to be executed, I would appeal to GameSpot, one last time, to make sure they take the union communities into account. After all, as acknowledged by GameSpot Official, Lark Anderson, GameSpot does share some of the blame for the state they're in. I am thankful for the recognition, but actions speak louder than words. Thank you.
JP_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 JP_
Member since 2007 • 12875 Posts

Please Sign the Thread with your post saying "YOU WANT UNIONS TO STAY" or "NO UNION NO MEMBERS :P" (use the 1st one please, 2nd one is a Joke)

twnturbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 twnturbo
Member since 2013 • 95 Posts

I would hate to see the unions go. :( It was one of the major features that made GameSpot so unique and made me feel "right at home" for being a gamer; unlike Fuse for the most part which is mostly filled with memes.

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts
Yes, please! Don't look at them as a broken feature that you have to get rid of. They are big communities that have survived and stuck together all this time despite all the bugs and glitches. You can't just make them disappear. :(
gunslinger024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#5 gunslinger024
Member since 2012 • 252 Posts
I want them to stay, GS wouldn't be the same without them
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
unions (or rather, user created boards) are the one reason i still visit gamespot. and i know that's the same for a lot of other users. what the admins need to realize is that while those features themselves do not bring much activity, a lot of people choose gamespot as their gaming site of choice and stick to it because of them. the unions leak activity to the rest of the site, is what i'm saying. I WANT UNIONS TO STAY, DON'T KILL THEM OFF.
-Saigo-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#7 -Saigo-
Member since 2006 • 301 Posts

Removing unions would be a tragic mistake.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
The reason I gave up on the unions was because you refused to update the code and fix the problems. I'm sure numerous other people would say the same. But instead of admitting a failure to the community, you just up and want to purge all the content and remove the feature entirely. Makes perfect sense.
super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

I would at least like unions to stay or something that will please union members if unions can't stay.

josephl64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10 josephl64
Member since 2008 • 4424 Posts

UCBs and Unions are the main reason I'm here...please don't let them go

Gohansephiroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Gohansephiroth
Member since 2005 • 9871 Posts

Like most of you unions are the main reason i even come here. I have a large group of friends that i remain in contact with and weve been a close knit group for years, and now you guys are just bombing the building while were in it? The hell, and are we losing all the content within them for good too? All the threads updates and all that will be gone? What a waste, dont do this.

TAMKFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 172

#12 TAMKFan
Member since 2004 • 33350 Posts

Unions are one of my favorite things about this site. There's also some users who mostly or exclusively post in unions. I feel that it would really hurt GS if unions are removed.

Noteldnep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#13 Noteldnep
Member since 2005 • 20170 Posts
I'm definitely signing, as I think it is a big mistake for unions to go. I'll copy some of what I said in response to the article announcing this: "The main reason so many people are upset about unions leaving is that over the years on this site, users have been able to create hangouts for a certain sport, TV show or game, or just create a hangout for the purpose of having a union due to many of the users who frequented them being great people to talk with and it no doubt added to the quality of the community on GS. There will definitely be a void for many users if they were to go, as the Off-Topic forum and other main forums won't be the same." To me, the quality of the community in unions is the best part of this site when it comes to forums.
Celesfaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Celesfaar
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
This amazing way of interacting with people with my same interests can not dissapear, please dont destroy the unions!
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#15 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts
Unions need to stay. Some of my greatest friends on this website and I came together through unions, which we continue to use. I request all of you to NOT remove Unions or at least User Created Boards. Keep one or the other.
SuperSmashBro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SuperSmashBro1
Member since 2008 • 14243 Posts
Please...don't let the only reason I visit this site every hour go away.There is literally no other site that has such a feature,and my dreams will be shattered if they die,especially if they get completely erased.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#17 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Lets be realistic here: GS is trying their best but they can't do it all it seems and if they're not going to focus on them along with activity being so low in the 1st place they had no choice but to get rid of them. Now I like unions as well, love em even, but sacrifices always have to be made sadly to focus on other things that's important to them and where most of the activity on this site comes from.

They're basically rebooting the site and making it simpler while having to deal with less things in general. This won't be the same Gamespot anymore and they know it.

Avatar image for jediknight52501
jediknight52501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jediknight52501
Member since 2005 • 69715 Posts

UCBs and Unions are the main reason I'm here...please don't let them go

josephl64
i agree.
FuryX-4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 FuryX-4
Member since 2009 • 409 Posts

Wow, I am impressed with you guys taking a stand in longing for the Unions to be saved. Even though I rarely go to the Unions I joined, it is such a disgrace to remove it that people cherished along with the UCBs.

So I wish you all a good luck and may we hope to not let the Union disappear by Gamespot.

CcJj09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 CcJj09
Member since 2007 • 15268 Posts

Unions are the only reason I've been active on this site for so long. I refuse to be active in the regular forums due to all the trolls and hate that spew from others if you have a slightly different view on something. Unions have always been a safe and fun place for freinds to gather and hang out. Please don't take that away from us.

Flamecommando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Flamecommando
Member since 2003 • 11634 Posts

Signed.

I WANT UNIONS TO STAY!

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

signed i enjoy my unions and i am a member of WOTU

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Signed for what good it will do...

Avatar image for StaticKornSlipX
StaticKornSlipX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 StaticKornSlipX
Member since 2003 • 8261 Posts

I'm moving on from Gamespot and I'll gladly get my video game news from somewhere else. Just have to get a new forum set up for me and my pals from the wrestling unions. What a great way to celebrate my 10th anniversary on this site. :lol:

Avatar image for deactivated-608ba1249f50e
deactivated-608ba1249f50e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-608ba1249f50e
Member since 2012 • 1698 Posts
Over 90% of my posts here are in unions. Needless to say, without unions, I will no longer be posting on this site.
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#26 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41534 Posts
I'm nintendoboy16 and I want unions and UCB's to stay. Seriously, some people only visit unions because they don't even like forums like System Wars.
dapman418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#27 dapman418
Member since 2009 • 14899 Posts

What GameSpot risks in destroying unions is also destroying lots of tight-knit communities. Unions are such great places to make friends who are easy to talk to, unlike the general forums. I've kept up with friends consistently FOR YEARS because of unions. The blogging community and the unions communities are the only two that matter at GameSpot as far as creating a friendly and intelligent atmosphere. With the proposal of deleting unions, GameSpot shows that they don't quite care WHO visits their site as long as they get numbers. 

SAVE OUR UNIONS!

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#28 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
What the hell are they thinking? I have been a proud leader for my union for almost 8 years and it is still active. That is rude, ignorant and pure arrogance just taking away something i have built and cared for so long. I have been an active member for a very long time, but i am considering to change to another site if this is true. Because they have been ignoring unions for almost 10 years and they have the audacity to delete them because they haven't cared for it? People still use them and try to escape the trolls or the regular discussions on the main board. KEEP THE UNIONS!
GamerofMario1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#29 GamerofMario1
Member since 2008 • 12972 Posts

I'm posting in this thread to say that I completely support unions. Unions were one of the reasons why I joined this site, and why I stayed. I have been an active union member for over three years, and I have been a leader of a union for over 2 years. I feel like this time is now wasted. I will leave this site when unions go unless there is an equivalent for people to join and post in.

yoocon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 yoocon
Member since 2011 • 35 Posts

save the unions... and the whales

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 The_Last_Ride

I'm posting in this thread to say that I completely support unions. Unions were one of the reasons why I joined this site, and why I stayed. I have been an active union member for over three years, and I have been a leader of a union for over 2 years. I feel like this time is now wasted. I will leave this site when unions go unless there is an equivalent for people to join and post in.

GamerofMario1
i fully understand you for doing that
Crulex1369

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Crulex1369
Member since 2008 • 2769 Posts

The Unions are the reason why I'm even on this site. I have friends here, real friends, that I can talk to in those unions have a good time discussing various topics with them. I've spent far too much time trying to stay connected with those friends on various sites that have all died and became wastelands because of poor site management or site breaking issues and this is one of the last places we have were we can connect and talk and have fun without worrying about losing it. I don't want to lose this. I'm a proud member of the WOTU, and if the Unions go from Gamespot, I too, unfortunately, will go from Gamespot. Don't take away the Unions from the passionate leaders of those Unions, who have spent time and energy to making others feel welcome and making the union a home for those members. Don't take away a place for people like me to be able to speak to one other, where they don't have to worry about trolls or inconsiderate people who will barge in for no reason and cause trouble. Spare our unions. I am Crulex, and I WANT UNIONS TO STAY. Either keep unions alive or as others suggested, make a damn good equivalent so that it serves the same purpose.

egokiller666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 egokiller666
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

throwing away a plant that's withered only because you failed to water it? now unless you wonna choke on that extra carbon dioxide you're gonna create by doing that, you will listen to the people here and you won't get rid of the unions or ucbs

signed

JP_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#34 JP_
Member since 2007 • 12875 Posts
THANK YOU ALL FOR SUPPORTING THIS!!!!!
Kman5507

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Kman5507
Member since 2009 • 7902 Posts

Dear Gamepot,

Maybe more people would use unions if you didn't make them inaccessible from the main page! :roll:

YOU WANT UNIONS TO STAY!

CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 CaseyWegner
Member since 2002 • 70114 Posts

while i was never very active in unions, i know that a lot of people liked them and for that reason i'd like them to stay as well.

naju890_963

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#37 naju890_963
Member since 2008 • 8954 Posts

I know this is futile but you never know, save the unions!

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#38 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
I want unions to stay myself... :D
Redders1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Redders1989
Member since 2006 • 13410 Posts

Like many that posted here, the integral reason of being here on GameSpot was purely for the fact of Unions (although this wasn't why I signed up - to be honest, it was so long ago I can't even remember what it was I signed up for!).

Nonetheless, I got an invite to a Union, which I became a part of. Since then, I became an officer in under a year, the leader after less than a year and a half and ran the place for four and a half years before stepping down in November. Ever since I was 17 I've stayed because of unions, and this news is a shame.

I suppose what shocks me most is apparently only 0.25% of GameSpot's page visits are to do with unions. Granted I don't use much of the rest of the website, such an incredibly low number was a surprise.

Where this leads us, sadly, is one of two positions: Either unions will die here, or move to other websites. As much as I'd love to see something like this succeed, we have to remember - when Unions V2 was being discussed, a poll was put up. I can't remember whether it was 3 or 6,000+ votes were made in favour of bringing in UV2, and a moderator said even that number was not enough to be significant enough to warrant a change. I doubt even a poll for this could pull those figures nowadays anyway.

I wish this thread a whole load of luck - I too wish for Unions to stay - but I doubt GameSpot will change their mind, if there wasn't even the consideration in the past to even update this section of the website.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 The_Last_Ride
They better listen or at least keep UCB, because not helping communities even being here with their own discussions is stupid gamespot!
Avatar image for Danyawesomsauce
Danyawesomsauce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Danyawesomsauce
Member since 2013 • 115 Posts

I've never been in a union that I've actually been able to be active in. All the unions I've found have been inactive or completely abandoned. I can understand them wanting to get rid of them for that reason but I don't think it's fair to the ones that are still active and post regularly.

bugbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 bugbag
Member since 2006 • 33275 Posts

Unions are the only reason I come to this website. While most are dead, quite a few still offer a busy and fun community. If they were to be removed I think I would lose reason to come to this site anymore. I think the best course of action would be to remove the dead unions should they stay inactive for a certain amount of time. I understand these pages costs money, but I would say over 3,000 of the 4,000 unions on this site are completely lifeless. Removing those would save costs, and keeping the active unions would please veterans of gamespots and give them a reason to keep visiting the site.

Also, advertising unions more would help a lot too. I don't feel as if gamespot has tried hard enough to keep unions in the community. I'd say 80% of users on the forums these days don't know what unions are. Maybe if they did, unions would actually be active.

megamannt123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#43 megamannt123
Member since 2007 • 74190 Posts
i definitely want unions to STAY, they're definitely the main reason i come here
The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 The_Last_Ride

Unions are the only reason I come to this website. While most are dead, quite a few still offer a busy and fun community. If they were to be removed I think I would lose reason to come to this site anymore. I think the best course of action would be to remove the dead unions should they stay inactive for a certain amount of time. I understand these pages costs money, but I would say over 3,000 of the 4,000 unions on this site are completely lifeless. Removing those would save costs, and keeping the active unions would please veterans of gamespots and give them a reason to keep visiting the site.

Also, advertising unions more would help a lot too. I don't feel as if gamespot has tried hard enough to keep unions in the community. I'd say 80% of users on the forums these days don't know what unions are. Maybe if they did, unions would actually be active.

bugbag
It's users that have kept them alive, not gamespot. We have tried with a bunch of suggestions through the years and they have completely ignored them. They haven't even managed to implement the "new" level design that is 5 years old on them. This just shows how little gamespot gives a crap about loyal users. Not even being able to make user created boards is just stupid
TopStarRacer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 TopStarRacer
Member since 2010 • 5732 Posts

I say save the unions or at least have an equalivilant system on the new GS. 

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#46 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26098 Posts

I've already written why, but yes, unions should not only stay but also be fixed.

Unions and UCBs were the birthplace of various strong communities, and albeit they were held back by the poor system in place, removing unions altogether will do a lot to keep new communities from being born.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 The_Last_Ride

I've already written why, but yes, unions should not only stay but also be fixed.

Unions and UCBs were the birthplace of various strong communities, and albeit they were held back by the poor system in place, removing unions altogether will do a lot to keep new communities from being born.

Willy105
i totally agree, they have completely ignored it and now they are making excuses because they aren't active. Delete the unactive unions and keep the active ones
WoodyBerlin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 WoodyBerlin
Member since 2012 • 44 Posts

It takes time to make a union active and with loyal members. I am a fairly new member to TPG and really like the community and don't want to see such an active union tear apart. It's difficult to re-build a union. Please Gamespot, listen to us.

Rayrota

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Rayrota
Member since 2005 • 1456 Posts

Crap like this is why I gave up on Gametrailers. Don't make me do the same with you, Gamespot.

Signed.

phhoward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#50 phhoward
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

Yep. Wipe the dead ones, keep the active ones. Listen to your users, GS. Thanks for your cooperation. iE9HDu9UFDxWt.gif