This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by bbkkristian (14955 posts) -
Don't delete our unions! :(
#52 Posted by The_Last_Ride (72292 posts) -

Yep. Wipe the dead ones, keep the active ones. Listen to your users, GS. Thanks for your cooperation. iE9HDu9UFDxWt.gif

phhoward
Exactly, listen to us
#53 Posted by meetroid8 (21140 posts) -
I'm not sure I'll keep coming to Gamespot if unions are totally scrapped.
#54 Posted by WalkingP (1242 posts) -

I've been using GameSpot for years now and I stay signed in 24/7.  The Unions are the main pupose I use this site, without them, I'm going to have to treat GameSpot like I would any other gaming site, occasionally visited seldom signed in.  Shame on GameSpot for closing down the unions, it's the best way I know of meeting great gamers and sharing like views, my friends lists on Live and PSN consist of people that I met through the unions.  Now it's all gone. Sad.

#55 Posted by Eikichi-Onizuka (8039 posts) -
I may find another place to go completely without unions, I'll definitely be around a lot less.
#56 Posted by DavesAlt (965 posts) -
Save our unions
#57 Posted by Gallion-Beast (35803 posts) -
By all means, continue ignoring unions with the next update as was done for the last, as they pretty much function just fine without additional support. But please don't remove entire longstanding communities from Gamespot, it's a disgusting way to treat your userbase. Why not let them sit where they are in their current format while just changing the rest of the site?
#58 Posted by PolskaKing (39592 posts) -
Save the unions! I may come around ever so often, but I always go into a union board, not any of the main boards!
#59 Posted by The_Last_Ride (72292 posts) -
[QUOTE="Gallion-Beast"]By all means, continue ignoring unions with the next update as was done for the last, as they pretty much function just fine without additional support. But please don't remove entire longstanding communities from Gamespot, it's a disgusting way to treat your userbase. Why not let them sit where they are in their current format while just changing the rest of the site?

Exactly, listen to this man!
#60 Posted by Sniper-Gamer (4158 posts) -

The initial reason why I came to this site was to join my friends union. And since then, I've always come here for the unions. It's fun to talk to like-minded individuals without fear of getting into some stupid argument over something.

If they want to get rid of inactive unions (like mine :P) then that's fine. But if a union is active, it's really not fair to get rid of them just because they don't feel like supporting them anymore.

#61 Posted by Lucky_Krystal (1730 posts) -

Save the unions/ucb!!

UCB/Unions are usually safe havens for like minded people to group up, have fun, and discuss things that would normally be ignored or, at the worst, maybe even mocked in the regular forums.

#62 Posted by sonictrainer (15184 posts) -

Save the Active Unions! Or create something better to replace them!

#63 Posted by phoenixangel9 (5675 posts) -

Well, other than Gamespot Fuse, I only really use Fuse for the Unions so this would probably make me avoid the site from now on, considering I'm not so into Fuse nowadays as I've already been. I really hope we can avoid this Union destruction thing as it would certainly make me completely uninterested in GS in the future.

#64 Posted by The_Last_Ride (72292 posts) -
i find the most frightening bit in the whole ordeal is that they promised that they would update unions a year ago and they would not forget us. They haven't even had a dialogue with the unions and asking how they can manage them better. Bastards...
#65 Posted by Technoweirdo (7225 posts) -

One more for the Save Our Unions group. My interest in the rest of GS would be pretty much gone if not for them.

#66 Posted by zmanrwks (12561 posts) -
Let it be known that Zman was here to agree that unions need either saving or a replacement. We will fight for our right to party! ~ZmanRwks
#67 Posted by DiscoCannibal (48 posts) -

Unions are the reason why I have stayed on GS for all these years(this is a new account I made) unions were a fun way for many of us GS users to communicate. They were also what made Gamespot so unique from other run of the mill gaming news sites. So please don't get rid of the unions. GS unions must stay.

#68 Posted by jediknight52501 (69715 posts) -
we want Unions to stay.
#69 Posted by white_kunoichi (4740 posts) -

Don't throw the unions away. I have been able to type better and faster at the activities there. And practice my writing abilities. So, please, keep the unions.

That's a fact, Jack!

#70 Posted by punksterdaddy (349 posts) -

A lot of people put a lot of effort into their Unions and it would be a real shame just to cut them off.

I know many have been abandoned and yes I agree they should be removed but not the still currently active ones. When they are still being used!

I am here to help support them and give them a voice before it becomes too late.

PLEASE DO NOT REMOVE THE FREQUENTLY USED UNIONS GAMESPOT?

#71 Posted by armin0jrpg (48 posts) -

Yeah Please Keep them, and maje them...Bigger?

#72 Posted by dapman418 (14899 posts) -

Does anybody here have the time to dedicate to a Save Our Unions Union? 

It could be a place to feature blog testimonials to keep unions, discuss memories we have within our respective unions, and perhaps start a new tight-knit community just like any other union, with the usual What Games Are You Playing, Off Topic, and union game threads that we've loved so much throughout the years. 

I don't think I have the time to be a LEADER of such a union, but I'd happily join up and participate for what little time we might left have to do so. 

#73 Posted by Shytink8965 (3712 posts) -

I want the unions to stay. 

#74 Posted by PumpkinBoogie (3366 posts) -

While I haven't been as active in unions (or at least the ones I'm still a member of) as I used to be, it really does still sicken me that GS has decided to take such a drastic approach--couple that w/ the whole level resetting and emblems mess (oooh, boy....lemme tell ya that's a WHOLE other post, ENTIRELY :evil: ), and for the first time I'm considering whether I say on here. That's not to say I don't think it's good that their FINALLY gonna do something to really fix up the site properly, by starting from the ground up, but getting rid of ALL unions? Really?? It like the whole 'throwing the baby out w/ the bath water' type thing.

Sure I don't have qualms about them nixing the honestly dead UCFs or unions; but tossing out the geniunely active and live ones w/ it is just plain dumb and thoughtless...and all because the 'numbers' told them so (more or less, by saying unions weren't as 'successful' resource-wise)?? It's the admins on GS' own damn fault for never properly fixing finding ways to fix unions to begin, now they're only lame-ass solution 'um.....let's just chuck 'em out!'. And needless to say their lack of transperancy on the matter doesn't help either. Maybe if they told people 'look I pains you guys/gals to see unions go, but please bare w/ us. We really do have something awesome lineup in store!', at least people wouldn't feel so jilted.

YOU, Gamespot, created this mess w/ the unions falling behind the rest of the site. Therefore, YOU ALL need to stop punishing the community for the inadequate handling of it and do a better job, or at the least find a better solution to at least keep the active unions around. Because it's damn sure a disrespect and disservice to those that put the effort and heart into maintaining and keeping their unions alive just to screwed over like this....

Now THAT'S my effin' 'signed'.....AND what.

#75 Posted by siberian142 (7773 posts) -
i find the most frightening bit in the whole ordeal is that they promised that they would update unions a year ago and they would not forget us. They haven't even had a dialogue with the unions and asking how they can manage them better. Bastards...The_Last_Ride
This isn't surprising, though. They have said they might give attention to unions for years, but it's never happened. Certain users hype up vague possibilities until it goes silent again. And now they're being deleted, which is a merciful death after all this time. GameSpot has left unions in the dust all this time and they'll just become worse if they're left there with no attention, especially considering their track record with bugs. Unions would blow up after they rolled out the new site.

As my time as a user and a ranger, this is something I'd expect from the admins. While the community managers paid some attention to unions, the others obviously don't care enough to do anything about them. Their willingness to flat out delete them mirrors this.
#76 Posted by foxhound_fox (88714 posts) -
[QUOTE="Gallion-Beast"]By all means, continue ignoring unions with the next update as was done for the last, as they pretty much function just fine without additional support. But please don't remove entire longstanding communities from Gamespot, it's a disgusting way to treat your userbase. Why not let them sit where they are in their current format while just changing the rest of the site?

That would require keeping the old server code and keeping server space dedicated to what Gamespot has deemed essentially "useless" content (0.25% of forum traffic or whatever) rather than being used to bring in new advertisements for the bottoms/sides/tops of pages.
#77 Posted by The_Last_Ride (72292 posts) -

While I haven't been as active in unions (or at least the ones I'm still a member of) as I used to be, it really does still sicken me that GS has decided to take such a drastic approach--couple that w/ the whole level resetting and emblems mess (oooh, boy....lemme tell ya that's a WHOLE other post, ENTIRELY :evil: ), and for the first time I'm considering whether I say on here. That's not to say I don't think it's good that their FINALLY gonna do something to really fix up the site properly, by starting from the ground up, but getting rid of ALL unions? Really?? It like the whole 'throwing the baby out w/ the bath water' type thing.

Sure I don't have qualms about them nixing the honestly dead UCFs or unions; but tossing out the geniunely active and live ones w/ it is just plain dumb and thoughtless...and all because the 'numbers' told them so (more or less, by saying unions weren't as 'successful' resource-wise)?? It's the admins on GS' own damn fault for never properly fixing finding ways to fix unions to begin, now they're only lame-ass solution 'um.....let's just chuck 'em out!'. And needless to say their lack of transperancy on the matter doesn't help either. Maybe if they told people 'look I pains you guys/gals to see unions go, but please bare w/ us. We really do have something awesome lineup in store!', at least people wouldn't feel so jilted.

YOU, Gamespot, created this mess w/ the unions falling behind the rest of the site. Therefore, YOU ALL need to stop punishing the community for the inadequate handling of it and do a better job, or at the least find a better solution to at least keep the active unions around. Because it's damn sure a disrespect and disservice to those that put the effort and heart into maintaining and keeping their unions alive just to screwed over like this....

Now THAT'S my effin' 'signed'.....AND what.

PumpkinBoogie
i freaking support this message!
#78 Posted by Avenger1324 (16344 posts) -

At first I was surprised to see the view figures so low, but then thinking how GS has all but hidden unions from view, I doubt many members that joined in the last couple of years are even aware unions exist unless they happened to click a link in someones signature.

It's a shame that after so many years of asking for changes to unions, after the whole Unions V2 debate, and nothing being done - numbers gradually dropping away as an ignored part of the site - that rather than make any attempt to fix the issues it's just going to be cut away and removed :(

I can only repeat the comments of those above - Unions have been a great place to meet people with a common interest and build up small communities over the years. We've made friends to chat with in the unions, found people to play our favourite games with online in a way that doesn't happen in the general boards.

Given that we still get reminded that the PS2, PSP and DS are still "current" consoles each time we view a union page, having missed out on previous site updates and overhauls, why can they not just be left as they are? For all their broken promises, I think everyone here would rather see unions remain in their current state than cut entirely.

#79 Posted by baltimore088 (16738 posts) -
this is 1st and only post ever that wasn't in a union so obviously if they are gone I'd look for a different site with union like features
#80 Posted by CountBleck12 (22932 posts) -

I don't want them gone, I would most likely abandon this site if that were the case.

#81 Posted by The_Last_Ride (72292 posts) -

I don't want them gone, I would most likely abandon this site if that were the case.

CountBleck12
Same here, i would have to find a place for the entire union somewhere else
#82 Posted by ArmoredCore55 (23844 posts) -

UCBs and Unions are the main reason I'm here...please don't let them go

josephl64
Same here. I don't know any site that has unions like GS unions. GS is unique and the best gaming site I've been to.
#83 Posted by The_Last_Ride (72292 posts) -
[QUOTE="josephl64"]

UCBs and Unions are the main reason I'm here...please don't let them go

ArmoredCore55
Same here. I don't know any site that has unions like GS unions. GS is unique and the best gaming site I've been to.

That is going to change after the new design sadly
#84 Posted by lensflare15 (6182 posts) -

I'd really like Unions to stay, it's one of the more interesting and unique things about this site. At least bring something like them back, that would make a lot of users happy. Definitely signed on my part.

#85 Posted by jsmoke03 (12923 posts) -

i want to save the unions....plus i am against starting over with levels.

#86 Posted by JimmyJumpy (2554 posts) -

In response to the upcoming changes to GameSpot: I have just learnt that unions and UCBs will not be joining us in the new GameSpot to come. While I don't mind the other changes listed in the article linked, I am concerned about the decommissioning of unions. Sure, I understand why you're taking them away, but I would also have something in place to compensate for their loss. Why not create boards for the unions that are still reasonably active? They can be hidden. They don't have to be listed on the main boards, but they'd at least provide some sort of continuity and would ease the transition. It doesn't seem right to just terminate them completely - these are well established communities we're talking about here. They have been resiliently kept afloat - that must count for something. While I am aware that these changes have probably been planned for months and carefully thought out to be executed, I would appeal to GameSpot, one last time, to make sure they take the union communities into account. After all, as acknowledged by GameSpot Official, Lark Anderson, GameSpot does share some of the blame for the state they're in. I am thankful for the recognition, but actions speak louder than words. Thank you.michaelP4

You don't "carefully plan" the axing of communities wherein a lot of people have spent tons of time and effort to build something game- or genre specific, with intersesting info and links and otherwise informative content.

I wonder what GS would say if CBS "carefully planned" the axing of GS itself.  The people who make such decisions are not the ones you see around the fora and Unions, so, why let them have final word? It's us, the users who should have at least a say in those matters.  After all, it's "our" hard work which is being obliterated on a whim...

THE UNIONS MUST STAY!!!

#87 Posted by Noteldnep (20167 posts) -
I've seen several users who give up on their unions too easily simply because they had a slow day instead of thinking what they can do to prevent future slow days, and that too added to the demise of unions on this site. You'll see this in a lot of unions, and every time I saw that attitude, it disturbed me. I definitely think if unions go, it will have a negative effect on the long-term future here, at least forum-wise. I have enjoyed coming here every day for the most part over the past year and a half and conversing with awesome users from the unions. They provided a friendly atmosphere that you won't find in OT or System Wars, that's for sure. And here's something I did not say before because I forgot, but I will post the message that Juniorpower suggested: "WE WANT UNIONS TO STAY!"
#88 Posted by Swanogt19 (24159 posts) -
I would like the unions saved. If only the active ones. Possibly create a new system of some short. As the ability for nearly to create a union lead to a massive amount of unions. Unions are still important.
#89 Posted by XVision84 (13793 posts) -

I WANT UNIONS TO STAY

#90 Posted by applesxc47 (10761 posts) -

I don't want unions to go away.

#91 Posted by KenshinGirl (9454 posts) -

With all the time and effort put into a lot of these unions over several years, I can't believe you guys are just trashing them. If you really go through with this, I'm leaving for sure.

#92 Posted by CcJj09 (15268 posts) -

GS only really cares about the hits on their site. I think they made that perfectly clear with the whole Greatest _____ Tournament and how that got out of hand.

Also its no wonder unions slowed way down, GS hasn't supported them in years and there isn't even a tab for them at the top of the site like there used to be for them. Your taking away what many consider the best part of your site GS, just hope you know that.

I've taked precautions and moved member from my union (The Great Nintendo Gamer Union) to a different forum so I still have a place to hang with them. Its sad that we will lose old threads and archives, but atleast if our worst fears come to pass we will be free from the shackles of Gamespot. Once Unions go, I will be gone with them.

#93 Posted by ArisShadows (22645 posts) -

There are several individuals here and about that I deal with sololy through unions and to take those unions away would be really be bad overall for everyone. Like many people here, do spend a good deal of their time on this site for those reasons.

Please don't rid Unions.

#94 Posted by matastig (958 posts) -

Keep The Unions!!!

#98 Posted by ShadowofSonic (24616 posts) -
I won't protest this idea, though I'm not to happy about it.
#99 Posted by fablesway (23504 posts) -
I really hope you that you may consider keeping the unions, there's a lot of people including myself that only post there. To have them gone completely doesn't seem fair.
#100 Posted by The_Last_Ride (72292 posts) -

With all the time and effort put into a lot of these unions over several years, I can't believe you guys are just trashing them. If you really go through with this, I'm leaving for sure.

KenshinGirl
I think most of us feel that way. People like us have been faithful to this site for a long time. But if they only care for as many clicks as possible and want quantity over quality then go ahead and see how fast every forum will turn into a hive full of trolls and flamers. Because unions have kept people together.