This topic is locked from further discussion.

#101 Posted by AzelKosMos (34194 posts) -

I mainly come to GS for the RPGTemple union and the friends I made there. GS would be dead to me if they removed them, dead.

#102 Posted by The_Last_Ride (69627 posts) -

GS only really cares about the hits on their site. I think they made that perfectly clear with the whole Greatest _____ Tournament and how that got out of hand.

Also its no wonder unions slowed way down, GS hasn't supported them in years and there isn't even a tab for them at the top of the site like there used to be for them. Your taking away what many consider the best part of your site GS, just hope you know that.

I've taked precautions and moved member from my union (The Great Nintendo Gamer Union) to a different forum so I still have a place to hang with them. Its sad that we will lose old threads and archives, but atleast if our worst fears come to pass we will be free from the shackles of Gamespot. Once Unions go, I will be gone with them.

CcJj09
A lot of people will leave, of that i am sure
#103 Posted by Falcon084 (8757 posts) -

I love the unions and to see them go is just sad :( 

No video downloads? With my download limit I only download videos :(

This new Gamespot sounds like it will suck with all its unique features gone. Don't change it like this and BRING BACK JODY!

#104 Posted by JP_ (12814 posts) -

This new Gamespot sounds like it will suck with all its unique features gone. Don't change it like this and BRING BACK JODY!

Falcon084
Falcon084 if you wanna contact Jody add her on Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/xpcaligirl
#105 Posted by ahmed_2014 (263 posts) -

this wrong GS please keep all we loved about GS

#106 Posted by majinstrings (3109 posts) -

With all the time and effort put into a lot of these unions over several years, I can't believe you guys are just trashing them. If you really go through with this, I'm leaving for sure.

KenshinGirl

My sentiments exactly...

#107 Posted by Xx_Kares_xX (1479 posts) -

TLDR Version: SAVE OUR UNIONS

No offense to the people running this site.. but the Unions are the only reason I've stuck around all this time. Almost all of the gaming news I care about I learn from other sources hours (if not days) before Gamespot finally covers it, and their reviews are heavily slanted against the genres I tend to care about most so it's not a very good source for information that way either. I have the feeling that if the Unions go a lot of members will leave with it. On top of that I'm not sure why you are redoing the site anyway.. it seems like you've finally got it so it's actually functioning correctly (for the most part) wouldn't it be better to just leave things alone?

#108 Posted by Tropictrain (4863 posts) -

I don't visit the main forums here anymore. I stopped visiting them a long time ago, and then earlier this year I decided to try them again. I quickly stopped again. I do read the reviews here and follow some of the news, but the only boards that interest me are unions. A lot of my favorite unions have died but there are still some good ones around. It's too bad this is happening. 

#109 Posted by The_Last_Ride (69627 posts) -
They have to understand that they are losing the unique features and communites because they want to earn even more money
#110 Posted by Razor-Lazor (12761 posts) -
Please do not remove unions, GS. There's just no point.
#111 Posted by KFHEWUI (7606 posts) -

If the unions go, I am leaving like most people that posted in this topic.

The only reason I come to this site is the unions especially after that joke Ducktales Remastered review. There are other sites I can get game news from. I have been around for a long time, and I have been through some really rough times through the years with this site including the severe bugs like being unable to log in, unable to post blogs, or the "infamous" bonk! bug.

#112 Posted by dorthie2 (13596 posts) -

I sign this thread to save my unions where I'm in and see all my friends there. 

GS made a biggest mistake to remove unions 

It will hurt them big time.. see all leave GS with a large hole that can't be filled

#113 Posted by Cheleman (7616 posts) -

Signed.

#114 Posted by Falcon084 (8757 posts) -

[QUOTE="Falcon084"]

Juniorpower

Falcon084 if you wanna contact Jody add her on Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/xpcaligirl

Thank you. We are friends on a few other sites as well.

As for everyone else:

Save your union b4 it is too late! Transfer your best threads to shivtr like I have done with my union at http://hierarchy.shivtr.com/

This way you can still hang out with your GS friends!

#115 Posted by Bzilla56 (7091 posts) -

I support the saving of the unions.

#116 Posted by The_Last_Ride (69627 posts) -
I hope support will flow in
#117 Posted by PumpkinBoogie (3366 posts) -
[QUOTE="Falcon084"]

Juniorpower

Wait, wait, wait, wait.......Jody's GONE?? When (and WHY more importantly) the HELL did this happen?!! She was practically one of the few champions we had in the 'higher ups' of staff that looked out for damn boards, forums, and unions! Ok, now I'm seriously pissed.....:evil:
#118 Posted by JP_ (12814 posts) -
[QUOTE="Juniorpower"][QUOTE="Falcon084"]

PumpkinBoogie

Wait, wait, wait, wait.......Jody's GONE?? When (and WHY more importantly) the HELL did this happen?!! She was practically one of the few champions we had in the 'higher ups' of staff that looked out for damn boards, forums, and unions! Ok, now I'm seriously pissed.....:evil:

Check this here
#119 Posted by PumpkinBoogie (3366 posts) -
[QUOTE="Juniorpower"][QUOTE="PumpkinBoogie"][QUOTE="Juniorpower"] Falcon084 if you wanna contact Jody add her on Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/xpcaligirl

Check this here

Serious?? What the hell, man.....I can't believe that one slipped by. I mean, I know I've been sporadic on here for few months but, damn..... :(
#120 Posted by PumpkinBoogie (3366 posts) -

Well it bit of maybe some consolation here is the post for the Google+ Hangouts Fireside Chat.

It would seem (and you guys will able to hear it too), that even though they're determining to end unions as we know them, it would seem that they HAVE noticed this forum post and are willing to try to come up w/ a compromise!

So, what do ya think so far?

#121 Posted by bbkkristian (14891 posts) -

Well it bit of maybe some consolation here is the post for the Google+ Hangouts Fireside Chat.

It would seem (and you guys will able to hear it too), that even though they're determining to end unions as we know them, it would seem that they HAVE noticed this forum post and are willing to try to come up w/ a compromise!

PumpkinBoogie
I would like to thank everyone who posted! :) I went out on all my joined unions and told them to post here, to share that they care about their unions. I am satisfied with announcement that key unions will be transferred over as a normal forum. Now we just wait to see which ones will be drafted over. But I do also have to thank the GS staff for noticing our responses, on this thread and the comments of the announcement.
#122 Posted by PumpkinBoogie (3366 posts) -
[QUOTE="PumpkinBoogie"]

bbkkristian
I would like to thank everyone who posted! :) I went out on all my joined unions and told them to post here, to share that they care about their unions. I am satisfied with announcement that key unions will be transferred over as a normal forum. Now we just wait to see which ones will be drafted over. But I do also have to thank the GS staff for noticing our responses, on this thread and the comments of the announcement.

Agreed, and especially a big ups to michaelP4 for putting out there and throwing that bug in there ear and bringing this forum to their attention. You probably did lot for making a many people happy than you even know. Kudos, dear sir! :)
#123 Posted by angelbless (8433 posts) -
You cant take all our work through these years like this!! You dont know how much we invested in the unions GS. Sure many died along the way, but it was part fault of you for not giving them their proper importance! Save the Unions!!... otherwise, after 10 years in GS I wont see a reason to come back to this place anymore.
#124 Posted by The_Last_Ride (69627 posts) -
So apparantly they are moving all our unions to public boards. We get to keep our threads and all that, but we lose everything that makes the union special and we are losing fuse aswell
#125 Posted by mitu123 (153911 posts) -

So apparantly they are moving all our unions to public boards. We get to keep our threads and all that, but we lose everything that makes the union special and we are losing fuse aswellThe_Last_Ride
They won't be unions anymore then...

#126 Posted by LarkAnderson (1694 posts) -
Hey all, thanks for putting this petition together! While we totally understand your frustrations and disappointment about Unions going away, we are unfortunately unable to keep them around. BUT, I've looked into things, and what we CAN do is offer Union leaders the ability to have their Unions converted into a regular forum on the new site so that nothing's lost. You can find more details about this in the original post, which has been updated. Thanks again!
#127 Posted by michaelP4 (16680 posts) -
[QUOTE="LarkAnderson"]Hey all, thanks for putting this petition together! While we totally understand your frustrations and disappointment about Unions going away, we are unfortunately unable to keep them around. BUT, I've looked into things, and what we CAN do is offer Union leaders the ability to have their Unions converted into a regular forum on the new site so that nothing's lost. You can find more details about this in the original post, which has been updated. Thanks again!

Excellent! Result! I'm very glad this campaign was successful. Thank you Lark! And thank you to all those who supported this campaign - your support brought this about! We're stronger together! :D
#128 Posted by bbkkristian (14891 posts) -
[QUOTE="michaelP4"][QUOTE="LarkAnderson"]Hey all, thanks for putting this petition together! While we totally understand your frustrations and disappointment about Unions going away, we are unfortunately unable to keep them around. BUT, I've looked into things, and what we CAN do is offer Union leaders the ability to have their Unions converted into a regular forum on the new site so that nothing's lost. You can find more details about this in the original post, which has been updated. Thanks again!

Excellent! Result! I'm very glad this campaign was successful. Thank you Lark! And thank you to all those who supported this campaign - your support brought this about! We're stronger together! :D

Yes, thank you everyone, Lark and GS staff. :)
#129 Posted by MAILER_DAEMON (45906 posts) -
Does this development also include UCBs?
#130 Posted by JP_ (12814 posts) -
Does this development also include UCBs?MAILER_DAEMON
I think its the same thing as UCB's are just Forum Boards so I think Yeah. But Lets still get Larks Say in it
#132 Posted by gunslinger024 (326 posts) -
[QUOTE="LarkAnderson"]Hey all, thanks for putting this petition together! While we totally understand your frustrations and disappointment about Unions going away, we are unfortunately unable to keep them around. BUT, I've looked into things, and what we CAN do is offer Union leaders the ability to have their Unions converted into a regular forum on the new site so that nothing's lost. You can find more details about this in the original post, which has been updated. Thanks again!

Wait just a minute, will these forums be private or will the entire community have access to them?
#133 Posted by CrimsonBrute (23133 posts) -
If memory serves, I believe he said that it'll be open to all users. No more union leaders or officers.
#134 Posted by c_rakestraw (14579 posts) -

If memory serves, I believe he said that it'll be open to all users. No more union leaders or officers.F22_King_Raptor

Yep. They'll become an official public board. I would think the communities shouldn't run into any issues, though. They should be able to mostly keep to themselves if the state of the genre and game-specific boards are any indication.

#135 Posted by gunslinger024 (326 posts) -
If memory serves, I believe he said that it'll be open to all users. No more union leaders or officers.F22_King_Raptor
So we can't moderate them ourselves? Thats no good.
#136 Posted by DieselCat18 (2960 posts) -

This doesn't surprise me in the least. GS has been on the decline for the last 7-8 years with their constant down-sizing and restructuring. I've been a GS Complete member since 2001 and coming here those first few years was amazing. The editors running the show back then were fantastic. No need to list names, if you were around back then you know who they were and the content and reviews were the best on any site around.

The only reason I keep coming back here almost daily is due to the forums/unions and that has been getting less interesting..Could it be to fewer people coming to GS as in the past ? Seems like it to me.

Well like I said, this doesn't surprise me...The Unions are just about the only really solid thing  left here and pulling the plug will just about sound the death knell to this site.

GS back then was the king of the hill....Oh how the mighty have fallen....:(

*+

#137 Posted by Bongardo (97 posts) -

I spend more time in the unions then the public forums. It would be a shame to see them go.

#138 Posted by The-Apostle (12141 posts) -

PumpkinBoogie
It's a crappy "compromise". The only thing I'd be willing to accept is unions being transferred over as we know them.
#139 Posted by whiskeystrike (12068 posts) -

The interest specific boards sound great. Unions are by their very nature clickish. Nothing inherently wrong with that but having the interest specific boards will be a great way to insure a flow of new/varied posters rather than having small groups of users locked out of sight/out of mind (which is the current status of unions).

#140 Posted by TAMKFan (32717 posts) -

[QUOTE="PumpkinBoogie"]

The-Apostle

It's a crappy "compromise". The only thing I'd be willing to accept is unions being transferred over as we know them.

It's still better than nothing. But I do agree that it wouldn't be quite the same. 

#141 Posted by Cloud_765 (111386 posts) -
As a union leader, who is in charge of a union which has been around for 4 years and has gotten 300,000+ posts (and still alive!), I'd like to have a talk with the admins to keep my union around as a board when moving to the new Gamespot.

[QUOTE="The_Last_Ride"]So apparantly they are moving all our unions to public boards. We get to keep our threads and all that, but we lose everything that makes the union special and we are losing fuse aswellmitu123

They won't be unions anymore then...

And you're okay with them just disappearing as a whole? At least fight to keep your board intact. The community you're a part of should matter more than the layout of the place that they gather to.
#142 Posted by c_rakestraw (14579 posts) -

So we can't moderate them ourselves? Thats no good. gunslinger024

There's more than enough mods on staff that it shouldn't be a problem. Just report as necessary so we can deal with any troublemakers.

#143 Posted by The-Apostle (12141 posts) -

[QUOTE="gunslinger024"]So we can't moderate them ourselves? Thats no good. c_rake

There's more than enough mods on staff that it shouldn't be a problem. Just report as necessary so we can deal with any troublemakers.

It's definitely a problem. It also means leaders/officers can't stick a topic. They shouldn't be forced to rely on mods to do it for them.
#144 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26087 posts) -

[QUOTE="The-Apostle"][QUOTE="PumpkinBoogie"]

TAMKFan

It's still better than nothing. But I do agree that it wouldn't be quite the same. 

Same here. A better than nothing situation to be sure.
#145 Posted by JP_ (12814 posts) -
[QUOTE="c_rake"]

[QUOTE="gunslinger024"]So we can't moderate them ourselves? Thats no good. The-Apostle

It's definitely a problem. It also means leaders/officers can't stick a topic. They shouldn't be forced to rely on mods to do it for them.

If the Board is going to be moved to a Public board then it is becoming a Techincal UCB. So I think they will insert the UCB Admin and UCB Moderator In this but, It is just my Speculation on what they could do
#146 Posted by michaelP4 (16680 posts) -
We're very quick to focus on the negative. Here's the positive: we managed to get GS to rethink its position regarding unions. That's quite significant. One thing that is certain is the unions feature itself will be gone. However, the communities - the most important part - will be preserved in some shape or form. Sure, you may not be able to control the board anymore, but honestly, the only powers you had were closing and sticking topics. How often did you do that? And yes, you can and should rely on mods to help you out - that's what we're here for. So don't be afraid to ask one of us to stick or close a topic. Chances are, one of us may even be a regular at your board, and will help keep it clean. As for positions within the communities: you can still have an informal organisation. Create a topic detailing who is what and does what - that should provide recognition. The leader and officer positions in reality only gave you a tag and the power to close/stick topics - they weren't that great really and were all for show. You can still achieve that same effect of organisation. At the end of the day, we have been victorious here. We got GS to rethink what its doing. Instead of no unions, we've got a guarantee that they will be continued as regular boards (which is really what unions are for the most part). GS aren't obligate to do that and have been quite generous to us for doing that. You no longer have to move off site to continue your communities - which is a lot harder than it sounds. How will you get new recruits? What will be the ToU? Who will keep the leader and officers in check - can you trust them with a huge amount of control and power? What about other features - GS will have an entire site load of features - will you be able to keep up? Moving off site sounds attractive at first, but when you get into the details, it's actually harder than you'd think. GS has taken care of the stuff I've listed and more. You will miss its supporting structure if you were to go off site. With what we have achieved, I don't think any community needs to leave GS now - but of course, it's entirely up to them.
#147 Posted by damodar_thade (390 posts) -

I WANT UNIONS TO STAY!

#148 Posted by JP_ (12814 posts) -
[QUOTE="michaelP4"]We're very quick to focus on the negative. Here's the positive: we managed to get GS to rethink its position regarding unions. That's quite significant. One thing that is certain is the unions feature itself will be gone. However, the communities - the most important part - will be preserved in some shape or form. Sure, you may not be able to control the board anymore, but honestly, the only powers you had were closing and sticking topics. How often did you do that? And yes, you can and should rely on mods to help you out - that's what we're here for. So don't be afraid to ask one of us to stick or close a topic. Chances are, one of us may even be a regular at your board, and will help keep it clean. As for positions within the communities: you can still have an informal organisation. Create a topic detailing who is what and does what - that should provide recognition. The leader and officer positions in reality only gave you a tag and the power to close/stick topics - they weren't that great really and were all for show. You can still achieve that same effect of organisation. At the end of the day, we have been victorious here. We got GS to rethink what its doing. Instead of no unions, we've got a guarantee that they will be continued as regular boards (which is really what unions are for the most part). GS aren't obligate to do that and have been quite generous to us for doing that. You no longer have to move off site to continue your communities - which is a lot harder than it sounds. How will you get new recruits? What will be the ToU? Who will keep the leader and officers in check - can you trust them with a huge amount of control and power? What about other features - GS will have an entire site load of features - will you be able to keep up? Moving off site sounds attractive at first, but when you get into the details, it's actually harder than you'd think. GS has taken care of the stuff I've listed and more. You will miss its supporting structure if you were to go off site. With what we have achieved, I don't think any community needs to leave GS now - but of course, it's entirely up to them.

Agreed with you Michael. GS has done everything they could for Unions. THis Thread has saved unions (to the Extent that they get moved to Forum Boards) So its good just gotta rely on Moderators like Me and the Rest of the Team to help you out :)
#149 Posted by Shadowchronicle (25975 posts) -
Guys before jumping and saying you will have no power on the boards I would like to say we know very little on the subject. There is not much known about changing the unions into public boards or the like and Lark has not explained everything about it I'm pretty sure. The least you guys could do is be happy that you even got boards back, be happy about that. You suggested something in the forums and they couldn't really fix it 100% but they gave you an alternative.
#150 Posted by starduke (1035 posts) -

Gamespot.com removes unions from the front page, and wonders why new people aren't using them.

SAVE THE UNIONS!