@vfighter: Would you mind explaining your opinion, please? Thank you!
moon1234's forum posts
Hello all, I’m currently writing on my master thesis about the portrayal of female characters in video games. I’m interested in your opinions. To those reading this, I would greatly appreciate it if you could answer the following questions for me 😊.
First, I would like to state that I’m not looking for any specific viewpoint here – please don’t try to say what I would like to hear on the issue. Also, specific examples of characters or plot points in games are great to hear so if you are thinking of a specific character for any reason then please go ahead and mention them.
1) Do you think there is a lot of gender stereotyping or sexism in games (through physical appearance, personality, and role within the plot)? More so than in other media?
2) Does gender stereotyping matter to you or is it not important? Is it OK up to a certain point? (what about things like the Capture the Babe minigame or even rape games? To what degree is acceptable to you?) Why?
3) How do you feel about the portrayal of your gender? What about the portrayal of the opposite gender? If you don't like it, how would you prefer they be depicted? If you do like it, why?
4) When a character is over-sexualized (6 pack abs for no reason, impractical clothing, etc.) does it distract from immersiveness? Do you mind playing as that type of character?
5) When a game allows you to create a character, do you normally create one of your own gender? Why or why not?
6) Have you had any odd experiences that were gender related when playing multiplayer online?
Thank you to anyone who responds! Thanks for your time. 😊
I don’t enjoy a game very much with a lousy gameplay. On the other hand, a game with phenomenal graphics, but a bad and boring story, isn’t much fun to me either. I guess for me the ranking from important to less important would be: story, gameplay, graphics.