moon1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By moon1234
Member since 2019 • 8 Posts

Hello all, I’m currently writing on my master thesis about the portrayal of female characters in video games. I’m interested in your opinions. To those reading this, I would greatly appreciate it if you could answer the following questions for me ?.

First, I would like to state that I’m not looking for any specific viewpoint here – please don’t try to say what I would like to hear on the issue. Also, specific examples of characters or plot points in games are great to hear so if you are thinking of a specific character for any reason then please go ahead and mention them.

1) Do you think there is a lot of gender stereotyping or sexism in games (through physical appearance, personality, and role within the plot)? More so than in other media?

2) Does gender stereotyping matter to you or is it not important? Is it OK up to a certain point? (what about things like the Capture the Babe minigame or even rape games? To what degree is acceptable to you?) Why?

3) How do you feel about the portrayal of your gender? What about the portrayal of the opposite gender? If you don't like it, how would you prefer they be depicted? If you do like it, why?

4) When a character is over-sexualized (6 pack abs for no reason, impractical clothing, etc.) does it distract from immersiveness? Do you mind playing as that type of character?

5) When a game allows you to create a character, do you normally create one of your own gender? Why or why not?

6) Have you had any odd experiences that were gender related when playing multiplayer online?

Thank you to anyone who responds! Thanks for your time. ?

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

No.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#3 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

1. There has been quite alot of stereotyping in the past but we're seeing less and less of it now - thanks to sjws. Now it's got the the point where it's getting unrealistic. Do we really need to see a 50/50 ratio of males/females as soldiers or fighters?

2. It's a matter of degree. I'm mainly concerned with how accurately it reflects real life.

3. Don't care too much. It's to be expected that in almost every form of entertainment media, both the males and females are usually young, sexy and good looking.

4. I'm fine with a sexualized character. It increases immersion if it's nice to look at!

5. Not necessarily. Not sure why though.

6. I haven't encountered many females in online games. But the ones I have seem to be friendlier and less competitive than males.

VagrantSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By VagrantSnow
Member since 2018 • 645 Posts

1: Gender stereotyping and sexism? Not really. Perhaps more accurate to say there are a lot of gender cliches rather than straight up stereotyping.

2: In general, no. There are games that I think are pretty cringy and there is certainly a part of me who thinks certain genres are down right deplorable. On the other hand it would be hypocritical of me to chastise a game depicting something sexually horrible while not being critical of games depicting other horrors such as murder, torture, slavery, warfare, genocide etc.

3: I have no particular complaints. Different games have different styles, themes and tones. It is rare to find a game where women are depicted in a way that is not consistent with the rest of the game they are in and it is hard to think of any particular game designed specifically to denigrate women. Usually I find when a game sexualises women, the men are usually depicted just as ridiculously.

4: Not at all as long as it is consistent with the rest of the game.

5: I usually play as a woman and try to make it look as much like myself as I can. Mostly because I like to think of the experience as myself taking part in the events of the game and I tend to respond to those events as I would. Sometimes I will switch it up and play other kind of characters and usually then I'll design a different looking character.

6: Odd? well I had one group of guys get real salty when I beat them in a local Unreal Tournament tournament when I was younger. Some of them caught me out in public and apologised for it though. Turned out one of them was the winner of the previous year and couldn't handle losing (in general) and with me being a girl, you can imagine the theme of his indignation. They all thought he was an arse apparently.

I remember back in the original Counter Strike and Day of Defeat days I'd some times get abuse when using mic and had one guy stalk me online for a few years. These days girls in gaming isn't as much a rarity as it was back then which I feel is one of the reasons I haven't really run into any issues with people for a long time.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11666 Posts

When a character is over-sexualized does it distract from immersiveness? Do you mind playing as that type of character?

Seriously, who are these transparent people and why has hating creative intent turned so becoming here in gaming forums especially?

I'm starting to think these loud vocal minorities won't be satisfied till everything is a bland grey stick person or generic full-body space suit.

Those people should simply **** off and stop spreading dissentious ideology onto the talent that make art for games. Let Artists be Artists!

If something as trivial as designs with polygon models/ sprites in games are triggering a soft spot? consider stop playing games period! Because you're killing the industry for Gamers and developers-

moon1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By moon1234
Member since 2019 • 8 Posts

@vfighter: Would you mind explaining your opinion, please? Thank you!