Which Resident of Evil should I buy

Avatar image for rockstargamer48
#1 Posted by Rockstargamer48 (36 posts) -

I play on Xbox One and I've thought of which Resident of Evil I should get. Pretty much all the games cost $20 except for Resident of Evil 7. Please share your opinion on which you think I should get.

#2 Posted by Splintah (32 posts) -

resident evil 4 and 5 are the highest quality entries in the series

#3 Posted by Splintah (32 posts) -

back in the day I played resident evil 4 on the gamecube

#4 Posted by robert_sparkes (3012 posts) -

4 is great 5 was ok but stay well away from 6 in my opinion it shouldn't be put anywhere near the others.

#5 Posted by Splintah (32 posts) -

6 was a cash grab

#6 Edited by Splintah (32 posts) -

7 is meh, i dont enjoy survival horror

#7 Posted by RSM-HQ (8324 posts) -

@rockstargamer48: The two games best to start with is either the Remake of the original Resident Evil or Resi4.

Remake has the older controls and fixed camera but refined and more focused on being a balanced and scary game. I've noticed most adapt very well to the controls but it's not for everyone. It's a very good game about solving puzzles, managing inventory, and shows the game at its best in the horror department. Universally I think this is the most beloved game in the franchise from what I've witnessed_

Resident Evil 4 is also a good starting point, because it's a new beginning of the franchise with the previous threat of earlier games dealt with and some new terror. So no baggage really. More focused on over the shoulder shooting and less puzzles, but still tough if you go in without thinking things through early-on. Still has some inventory management and the first few sections of the game do have a good sense of horror, it's just more The Texas Chainsaw Massacre than Night of the Living Dead.

#8 Posted by thehig1 (7278 posts) -

@splintah: 7 wasnt really survival horror, it was basically outlast with a bit of resident evil skin.

#9 Posted by uninspiredcup (33269 posts) -

If you have a friend I'd recommend 5. If you want solo action 4, otherwise Revelations (1).

#10 Posted by Splintah (32 posts) -

are you kidding bro outlast is the definition of modern survival horror

@uninspiredcup said:

If you have a friend I'd recommend 5. If you want solo action 4, otherwise Revelations (1).

#11 Edited by omegaMaster (1263 posts) -

Resident Evil 1 HD.

#12 Edited by Archangel3371 (27894 posts) -

I would recommend Resident Evil HD for the “classic” experience and Resident Evil 4 for a more action oriented experience.

#13 Posted by Shmiity (6268 posts) -

Resident evil 1. The HD remaster is on xbox

Avatar image for rockstargamer48
#14 Posted by Rockstargamer48 (36 posts) -

For me the graphics don't matter too much especially since they remastered the games pretty well, but I might get Resident of Evil 4 since the first Resident of Evil has those fixed camera angles. I know it might not affect the core gameplay, but mechanics in games just don't age well.

#15 Posted by robert_sparkes (3012 posts) -

Forgot all about revelations both games are great in that series. I'm still hoping to see a revelations 3 Might be waiting a while though knowing capcom.

#16 Posted by Shmiity (6268 posts) -

@rockstargamer48: The resident evil 1 remake on xbox has updated controls and actually has held up better than re4 in 2019. I played the remaster of 4 on xbox one and thought it played like shit

#17 Edited by moon1234 (8 posts) -

I played Resident Evil 7 with VR glasses and that was a lot of fun. I also enjoyed the whole setting and story.

#18 Posted by RSM-HQ (8324 posts) -
@rockstargamer48 said:

might get Resident of Evil 4 since the first Resident of Evil has those fixed camera angles. I know it might not affect the core gameplay, but mechanics in games just don't age well.

Resi4 is a good starting point. But you'll still need to adapt to its take on third person mechanics. It works well, but different to the Uncharted and Gears/ that is modern industry standard_

Mechanics for the older games in the Resident Evil franchise have aged pretty well, if just clunky. Resi4 is really no exception to this rule. Would state the player can easily adjust at anycase, because the way A.I. and maps work are functioning around the mechanics given to the player.

The fixed camera games will troII players with zombies hidden around unseeable corners, which is poor design I suppose (Resi2 and Nemesis do this the most). Though many see that as a twisted Capcom gag.