Who DOESN'T think Breath of the Wild is Game of the Year?

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#251  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts
@logicallizard07 said:

While Zelda is an awesome game, I still think Super Mario Odyssey and even Splatoon 2 have a chance to outshine it.

Theres no way Splatoon to outshine Zelda or Odyssey. Splatoon might be fun and great and this and that but its not your big fat juicy AAA title to begin with let alone something extraordinary that will make all other great titles of 2017 look pale compared to it.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#252 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@AzatiS said:
@logicallizard07 said:

While Zelda is an awesome game, I still think Super Mario Odyssey and even Splatoon 2 have a chance to outshine it.

Theres no way Splatoon to outshine Zelda or Odyssey. Splatoon might be fun and great and this and that but its not your big fat juicy AAA title to begin with let alone something extraordinary that will make all other great titles of 2017 look pale compared to it.

1. Big fat juicy AAA titles aren't the only ones that can win GOTY, that's been proven over the last few years.

2. Outside of Zelda, and even that is pushing it, barely anything this year actually does anything extraordinary so far.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#253  Edited By omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

Persona 5 is the prime example of how to give players a unique RPG experience.

King_Dodongo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#254 King_Dodongo
Member since 2006 • 3759 Posts

BOTW is my GOTY, last year was soooo weak in comparison it's unfair, many recent big titles would have won in 2016.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#255  Edited By AzatiS

@jg4xchamp said:
@AzatiS said:
@logicallizard07 said:

1. Big fat juicy AAA titles aren't the only ones that can win GOTY, that's been proven over the last few years.

2. Outside of Zelda, and even that is pushing it, barely anything this year actually does anything extraordinary so far.

1. Agreed but most of the time those are

2. I dont see how Splatoon 2 does or will do vs Zelda , Odyssey , Persona 5 etc

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#256 jg4xchamp
@AzatiS said:
@jg4xchamp said:

1. Sure, not getting into how lame game journos/critics are at their job, sure.

2. Also sure, sort of, but Odyssey could suck for all anyone knows (doubt it), and Persona 5's virtues seem to be more its presentation n characters, mechanically speaking I'll probably more into something like Splatoon 2. Personally if it's just more of the same, it'll probably be one of the 10 or so best games this year, but sure probably not a game of the year caliber experience. Certainly wouldn't go in thinking the gaming media to pick it, that would require them to actually like games.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#257 AzatiS

@jg4xchamp said:
@AzatiS said:
@jg4xchamp said:

1. Sure, not getting into how lame game journos/critics are at their job, sure.

2. Also sure, sort of, but Odyssey could suck for all anyone knows (doubt it), and Persona 5's virtues seem to be more its presentation n characters, mechanically speaking I'll probably more into something like Splatoon 2. Personally if it's just more of the same, it'll probably be one of the 10 or so best games this year, but sure probably not a game of the year caliber experience. Certainly wouldn't go in thinking the gaming media to pick it, that would require them to actually like games.

1. I know but in the end its just your opinion vs the world. Finnest example is when you dissing X games for its score and this and that and at the same time i do the same for what you calling masterpiece. In the end its our opinion about things.

2. Personally i think its all about anticipation. People , media and gamers included , they want a succesor of Mario 64 like forever. For that alone and with Nintendos talent on main mario games i dont think we gonna have a dissapointment here. About Splatoon 2 my opinion is that it wont have the impact games like Zelda/Odyssey or even Persona 5 had overall but that doesnt mean will end up being the case. Its my opinion . Dont forget that Splatoon 2 wont be a next-gen leap either despite Switch being a new product.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#258 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

@brah4ever said:
@princeofshapeir said:

i agree. i enjoyed P5 more but BOTW marks a real turning point for the zelda series, for nintendo, and for open world games.

Uhh, how so?

Zelda BOTW literally did nothing I haven't seen nor played better elsewhere before.

grow a brain

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#259 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@princeofshapeir said:
@brah4ever said:
@princeofshapeir said:

i agree. i enjoyed P5 more but BOTW marks a real turning point for the zelda series, for nintendo, and for open world games.

Uhh, how so?

Zelda BOTW literally did nothing I haven't seen nor played better elsewhere before.

grow a brain

I'd just like for him to list these other games as I'd gladly play them asap.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#260  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

No, the game felt very empty.

The gameplay mechanics were very inconsistent. E.g going into the hideout you get killed in 1 hit, regardless if you have Mipha's grace, or Darude's protection. Why can Link climb anything in the open world and not climb anything in a shrine or dungeon? How does a bow break by using it? This doesn't make sense, everything about this game is how the developers want you to play their game.

The dungeons all looked very similar visually. There was no real excitement in them because of this, going into a new room looks like the same as every other room.

There was very little music in the game, and the same song plays for all 120 of those shrines. This feels very lazy.

The voice acting was pretty poor, the delivery didn't seem sincere at all. And why are there voices at some points in the game and not others? Just pick or the other, don't just mush them together and do it sloppily.

The framerate was very low, I don't care what platform you release your game. If you choose to release it on the Switch/Wii u then that's your own fault. 30 fps target which is already too low, and that dips very frequently. I'm used to a minimum of 60fps on PC, you get 0 options on this console.

The sidequests had no voice acting and felt shoved in. There was nothing elaborate to them, it felt like standard MMORPG stuff.

I did like the combat in the game in the open world though, you do get quite a bit of freedom.

It's not a bad game at all, I just don't think it would have been very popular if it did not have Zelda in the name.

The Witcher 3 is another open world game and it does the things I care about much better. Full and consistent voice acting (except for the kids, but who cares really). Lots of variation in the music, most sidequests had a ton of depth to them. There were often plot twists in sidequests and they all featured believable voice actiing. Game runs at 60+fps on decent hardware and the graphics look fantastic. There is so much detail everywhere. Much more to the main story as well, and it is more interesting because of this. It unwinds itself slowly and constantly gives you new information.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#261 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

@King_Dodongo said:

BOTW is my GOTY, last year was soooo weak in comparison it's unfair, many recent big titles would have won in 2016.

That is true. This year has seen phenomenal games and a game like Nioh or P5 would have won Goty for me last year.

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#262 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

I'm super glad that 2017 is an amazing year for gaming. We got so many good titles and it's only half way through the year. Horizon, Zelda, Persona 5, Nier, NiOh, and soon Mario Oddessy, and if we are super super lucky, maybe a Metroid (likely for next year though). A year where it's actually hard to determine the game of the year is a good year for everyone.

For me, BotW.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#263 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
Member since 2016 • 6762 Posts

@Phazevariance: There are some little trickles of evidence that may lead to a Metroid game being in development from Retro studios but I doubt we won't be seeing anything this year.

dalger21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#264 dalger21
Member since 2002 • 2231 Posts

Horizon: Zero Dawn is still my GotY. Nothing else, including BotW has been better imo.

NeonicTrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#265  Edited By NeonicTrash
Member since 2010 • 549 Posts

I don't think BOTW is GOTY. Refused to pay $400+ for the hardware to try it out, never cared about Zelda, and nobody tell me to get the cheaper Wii U...though it would've been a mildly amusing joke post.

Sick of hearing about this Persona 5 game, it has a 60k reply post on neogaf too...them hardcore anime type loving weaboo waifu worshipping crowd eats it up...I try to be an open minded gamer and want to know what all the damn hype is about...I load up some Youtube gameplay and in under 2 mins I'm cringing at this interactive anime pop up dialogue, big eyed, exaggerated facial expression fest. And I can appreciate a film like Akira...but I do not want to play in such worlds, I do not watch anime. Maybe it has great game mechanics or a great story, but that aesthetic just feels so anime samey to me and I can't get into it. I'm a Western gamer.

I don't play a lot of new release stuff as it launches...most of the games are playing now are from 2015 or earlier. But I've purchased Horizon and to me that could be my GOTY, but I haven't gotten to play it yet. Also I really like Shadow of Mordor, and Shadow Of War looks like an amazing sequel. And this shows my open mindedness as a gamer, because I've never been a huge Tolkien/LOTR/Hobbit fan..I've seen all the movies cause they're good films, but never read the books and own nothing else related to that whole universe...I bought SOM on sale 2 years ago for less than $15 and ended up really liking it, cause it's just a great game.

As someone who grew up playing Toejam & Earl I could end up liking the new TJ&E more than anything though. The power of nostalgia is strong.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#266 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Its a fantastic game, deserving of GOTY if it does win. I cant see another game beating it in all honesty.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#267  Edited By DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

It's bound to be RDR 2 for me and many others.

EvanTheGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#268 EvanTheGamer
Member since 2009 • 1550 Posts

It's an interesting game for sure but no way GotY quality.

Clefdefa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#269 Clefdefa
Member since 2017 • 750 Posts

So far my GOTY goes to Horizon Zero Dawn or P5 or Zero Escape Zero Time Dilemma ( I know it didn't come out this year )

Avatar image for deactivated-593cdba6e9a93
deactivated-593cdba6e9a93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#270 deactivated-593cdba6e9a93
Member since 2017 • 78 Posts

Maybe at some niche, hipster sites, but not for the rest of the gaming public. According to the almighty metacritic it should be BOTW, and if we look at what most of the mainstream gamers want it will probably be something like Destiny 2. Not to mention, the years less than half over, come December even the hipster critics may have forgotten Persona 5 like the rest of mainstream gamers.

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#271 jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

It's not even in my top 10 favorite Zelda games.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#272 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

I don't think it's that great. I got bored of it fairly soon.

I have no idea of the exact hours I put into the game, but my Switch says at least 5 hours.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#273 aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

@clefdefa said:

P5 or Zero Escape Zero Time Dilemma ( I know it didn't come out this year )

you have good taste, sir

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#274  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

@aigis: And you have good alt accounts.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#275  Edited By aigis

@iandizion713 said:

@aigis: And you have good alt accounts.

lol, ill give you points for that one

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#276 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

Breath of the Wild is okay. It's definitely not my favorite Zelda game, or one of my favorite games at all for that matter. If it winds up being my personal game of the year, it has been a dull year. I'm hoping I'll enjoy Mario Odyssey better.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#277 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Me.

I haven't played it yet.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#279 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14902 Posts

@aroxx_ab said:

Prey is my GOTY so far. Zelda is overrated.

Prey is great, but Zelda is actually the better immersive sim. Yes, BOTW is an immersive sim.

DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#280 DerekLoffin
Member since 2002 • 9095 Posts

For me, definitely not. It has been a weak year for me so far, so it gets up in contention by default practically, but I ultimately didn't enjoy it that much. That said, I feel with some tweaks here and there it could be awesome, but as is, nope.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#281 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@iandizion713 said:

Zelda hands down. Its the greatest game ever made. A pure masterpiece. It caters to all gamers.

Terrible bosses.

Short dungeons (interesting but meh)

poor events...

crap music

Not even the best Zelda... it was a good GAME ... but Nintendo did not strike any balance between script and sandbox at all.... I hope their 2nd attempt will make me think more than "why did I do all that extra searching when the games main content is so small and empty?

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#282 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts
@NeonicTrash said:

I'm a Western gamer.

@NeonicTrash said:

And this shows my open mindedness as a gamer

Yes, you bring open mindedness to a whole new level.

Haven't played it yet so it's obviously not my GotY. Really curious to play it even though I find all Zelda games I've tried (Twilight Princess, Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker) to be terribly mediocre. At the moment I'm still trying to decide if I buy a Switch or PSVR this month but I guess I will wait for E3 to jump onto the VR train because it would really bother me if I got one and they announced PSVR 2.0 a few weeks later. Switch it is.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#283  Edited By Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7705 Posts

@getyeryayasout said:

It's the best game I've played this year, and will be until June 20th.

thumbs up! Is the local co-op on PC too or only ps4? If it's only on ps4 then I'll get it for that

edit: seems its on PC as well, nice

speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#285 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

Persona 5 circle jerk thread.

Resident Evil 7 for me.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#287 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24926 Posts

My GOTY so far is Prey. its getting better and better the game progress. even combat get better when you get more powers and psi.

still i cant stand enemy design. the worst enemy design i have ever seen. that only ink pots!!? should have better alien design.

Avatar image for deactivated-592eb1f2b4367
deactivated-592eb1f2b4367

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#288 deactivated-592eb1f2b4367
Member since 2017 • 168 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

Me.

I haven't played it yet.

Same

Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#289 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts

I loved BotW and I'm currently playing Persona 5 but between both games I'm gonna say BotW is still my GOTY for now. P5 is great and I'm loving it but I enjoyed P4 more and BotW a LOT more. Still, gonna have to finish P5 before any conclusions.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#290 texasgoldrush

@ghosts4ever said:

My GOTY so far is Prey. its getting better and better the game progress. even combat get better when you get more powers and psi.

still i cant stand enemy design. the worst enemy design i have ever seen. that only ink pots!!? should have better alien design.

Prey is great, but man did Nintendo master everyone in the immersive sim.

But the Mimics are great.

The_Deepblue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

User Lists: 1

#291 The_Deepblue
Member since 2007 • 1484 Posts

I don't have the money or time to play many games anymore, but Breath of the Wild has overtaken Super Mario Galaxy 2 to become my favorite game of all time. I suppose Super Mario Odyssey could top it if that game can top Super Mario Galaxy 2 in level design, innovation, and mechanics, somehow.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#292 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

Zelda is my GOTY at the moment, Horizon was a letdown. Currently trying to find all the shrines, this is my second playthrough. We'll see if Mario can beat it.

lilhurk1985187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#293 lilhurk1985187
Member since 2014 • 571 Posts

Hardly game of the year .

Graphics are shitty

Weapon durability is archaic

As repetitive as Skyrim

Story is boring

Dungeons suck

Large boring open world

Game gets boring after 2-3 hours

If any Nintendo game has a chance to win GOTY then its FE Echoes.

DarkTower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#294  Edited By DarkTower
Member since 2017 • 201 Posts

The graphics suck

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#295 aigis

@darktower said:

The graphics suck

botw? Naw, the art direction is fine

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#296 texasgoldrush

@lilhurk1985187 said:

Hardly game of the year .

Graphics are shitty

Weapon durability is archaic

As repetitive as Skyrim

Story is boring

Dungeons suck

Large boring open world

Game gets boring after 2-3 hours

If any Nintendo game has a chance to win GOTY then its FE Echoes.

Odds are otherwise.

Art direction is more important than photorealism and BOTW's graphics excel.

Deal with it, its to force you not to use the strongest weapons all the time and to actually use them tactically.

Until it isn't.

Only Zelda story better is Majora's Mask.

I could say the same about the other 3d games, which are linear one solution fests instead of a play your way style immersive sim level.

That put all other open world games to shame. If BOTW is boring, then find the map marker is really boring.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#297 texasgoldrush

Night In The Woods destroy Persona 5 in what it wants to do. Persona 5 is amateur hour compared to that game.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#298 aigis

@texasgoldrush said:

Night In The Woods destroy Persona 5 in what it wants to do. Persona 5 is amateur hour compared to that game.

I somehow highly doubt it

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#299 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

@texasgoldrush said:

Thanks. I needed a good laugh.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#300 jg4xchamp
@Ant_17 said:
@texasgoldrush said:

Thanks. I needed a good laugh.

What does Night in the Woods do poorly with its story telling in comparison to Persona? Because purely writing them is concerned, i'd be hard pressed to believe an Atlus crew is anywhere as real or as layered as the cast of Night in the Woods. I don't like when the story gets hooky, but Persona itself is hooky. It's why Atlus can have some neat character stuff, but thematically their games are never capable of actually saying anything. They are pulp, for better or worse.