KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#51 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3413 Posts

Just because she received racial insults it doesn't mean she can play the race card. Next time she should focus on important acting stuff like being more sexy.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#52 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58328 Posts
@davillain said:

Look you guys, when it comes to VA, you can blame the people/studio for hiring that person but don't go taking it out on the VA itself. If you didn't like Ada voice, take that anger toward Capcom, they hire Lily Gao to do a voice job and she did the best she could with it and I was okay with it. Ada to me was always eye-candy anyway and not my fav RE character to begin with.

It's sad people nowadays take their anger out on the VA and not the company itself they hire for.

People were really pissed at Peter Dinklage when he voiced whats-his-name (your little robot assistant in Destiny 2) and did a terrible job.

While people gave him and Activision/Bungie a lot of crap, I don't recall him getting death threats, threats of sexual assault, his race being made fun of, or even his size.

And he was recast.

Double-standard? Possibly. But I agree, comparing these two examples of sub-par voice actors and their treatment really shows you just how toxic and biased we can be.

@R4gn4r0k said:

How do people hear race through voice?

Just seems odd to me, people focussing on so many things. And no longer focussing on what's important:

fun factor of a video game.

You live in a place long enough, you sound like whatever the people around you sound like.

I've met Vietnamese-Americans that don't have accents, and I've met Americans that have lived in Japan for 20 years and have a Japanese accent.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#53 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@mesome713:

She hardly even had any lines anyway. I don't see what the big deal is. The only slight glimpse Ada ever had of a personality was her overbearing flirty undertones. You get rid of that and they all would sound cold and dead. Lily was the first to sound like she didn't secretly want to ride Leon like a brahma bull. It's really the lack of her slutty undertones that people are crying about. Perverts...

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#54 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5253 Posts

I hate to say this, but our adversaries in Russia, China, Iran and elsewhere are laughing at us Westerners (not just Americans, but throught the Western world) over how we respond to controversies like identify politics.

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By IvanGrozny
Member since 2015 • 1845 Posts

I thought she was great at her role. Plus they allowed a sexy character for once. What else can you ask for? Be happy they didn’t unsexualize her like Aloe in Horizon or so many other today’s games.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Resident Evils enduring legacy of prestigious voice talent, officially ruined. 😔

Yeah I really don't get how this is a thing. When I first saw a clip, thought the voice was nice, but the acting sounded a bit phoned in. Having played most of the game, seen more of her scenes. think it's fine. Not great, not shit, probably not something I'd have given a second thought if not for the "drama" surrounding it.

Whatever the case, mobbing up and harassing a person, especially over something so trivial, never the move. Can nitpick her response if you want. Though being inundated with unsolicited personal comments attacking her from every angle, what's she supposed to do? She doesn't owe a response to each and every flavor of criticism leveled at her. Doesn't owe a response at all. If she chose to push back against the worst of the bunch, fair enough.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 ConanTheStoner

@hardwenzen said:

How do people consider Leon's voice in the remake? In the demo, i thought he did a great job. I actually like him more than the original (assuming its not the same VA)

Yeah he's good. Minor differences aside, sounds like good old RE4 Leon. It is a different VA. But the most noticeable differences are in the writing and tone, not his VA.

Bummed about the removal of some corny one liners, but he still has some good ones in this game. "Nighty night... knights." "Looks like your tap dancing days are over!" 😂

So in original RE4, Leon and the Merchant had the same VA. Really wish they could have brought that dude back for the Merchant at least. Still sounds good in the remake, close enough, but of all the VAs in REs history, OG RE4 Merchant is my tops lol.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6059 Posts

If you're playing the game to watch the cutscenes and listening for the voice acting then you're playing the game all wrong.

Is there a skip cutscene button? If not then that's a bigger issue over this.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 SOedipus  Online
Member since 2006 • 14804 Posts

I didn’t mind the voice acting for Ada. My biggest complaint is that Leon doesn’t say “Jesus!” enough.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#60 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44201 Posts

I enjoyed all the voice acting in the remake, thought Krauser was pretty good as well. Did miss some of the more corny dialog particularly the “senior moment” and “your right hand comes off” but it was decent enough in here.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 ConanTheStoner
@last_lap said:

Yup.

I'm watching the cutscenes because they're short, dumb fun, and full of camp. Game never took itself seriously. Evil Dead vibes with the main char spitting one liners that give Arnie a run for his money.

Also just to see what they decided to keep/change/remove.

But yeah, all short and all skippable by holding Y.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 ConanTheStoner
@Archangel3371 said:

I enjoyed all the voice acting in the remake, thought Krauser was pretty good as well. Did miss some of the more corny dialog particularly the “senior moment” and “your right hand comes off” but it was decent enough in here.

Classics. 😂

I don't mind spoilers on this one, but is "No thanks, bro!" actually gone?

I'm well past the part where it should've happened, hoping they just put it somewhere else lol.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Last_Lap

@ConanTheStoner: Ah so people can easily skip it then, but because of "social" media they will watch it then go online and complain about her voice and wait for other like minded idiots to agree.

Don't you just love "social" media smh.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#64 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44201 Posts

@ConanTheStoner: Sadly it’s not in the remake but they did give a nod to it by titling the Achievement/Trophy of defeating Salazaar “No thanks, bro” 😅

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 ConanTheStoner

@last_lap:

Yeah way too easy for any assholes to voice a take, form mobs, all that noise. Social is the great enabler.

I find it more funny/weird given the series history and RE4 in particular. Series is loaded with questionable VA and corny dialogue. RE4 itself was this huge exercise in intentional camp. Don't think ppl ever played these games for their award winning performances lol. This shit doesn't have Naughty Dog goals.

Not to say that excludes it from criticism, not at all. Just in this case a lot of it goes way over the line, and given the series, especially silly.

@Archangel3371 said:

@ConanTheStoner: Sadly it’s not in the remake but they did give a nod to it by titling the Achievement/Trophy of defeating Salazaar “No thanks, bro” 😅

Ah damn. Probably my favorite Leon line.

Glad for the nod at least. I like some of the achievement titles, seeing "Grilled Big Cheese" pop after Mendez was a good way to cap that section lol.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#66  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58988 Posts
@last_lap said:

If you're playing the game to watch the cutscenes and listening for the voice acting then you're playing the game all wrong.

I mean, don't disagree but at the same time it can be part of the enjoyment. Doesn't mean by default gotta automatically negate criticism or personal preference. Like, alot of folk grew up with Courtenay Taylor, see her in external media as well.

And now they have Stephen Hawking resurrected as an Asian woman who smokes 40 a day.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#67 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 38859 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:
@hardwenzen said:

How do people consider Leon's voice in the remake? In the demo, i thought he did a great job. I actually like him more than the original (assuming its not the same VA)

Yeah he's good. Minor differences aside, sounds like good old RE4 Leon. It is a different VA. But the most noticeable differences are in the writing and tone, not his VA.

Bummed about the removal of some corny one liners, but he still has some good ones in this game. "Nighty night... knights." "Looks like your tap dancing days are over!" 😂

So in original RE4, Leon and the Merchant had the same VA. Really wish they could have brought that dude back for the Merchant at least. Still sounds good in the remake, close enough, but of all the VAs in REs history, OG RE4 Merchant is my tops lol.

Haven't played the final game yet, so outside of short youtube clips, i didn't hear much of the new VA for the merchant, but from what i've heard, not a fan. The original VA was iconic as hell. You just don't change that.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 ConanTheStoner
@hardwenzen said:

Haven't played the final game yet, so outside of short youtube clips, i didn't hear much of the new VA for the merchant, but from what i've heard, not a fan. The original VA was iconic as hell. You just don't change that.

Ah, thought you had already played it for some reason. Still waiting on a GPU?

But yeah agreed. Would prefer if they just lifted the recordings from the OG and called it a day. Guess they really wanted to give him more lines though. Not bad, just not the same.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By hardwenzen  Online

@ConanTheStoner said:
@hardwenzen said:

Ah, thought you had already played it for some reason. Still waiting on a GPU?

But yeah agreed. Would prefer if they just lifted the recordings from the OG and called it a day. Guess they really wanted to give him more lines though. Not bad, just not the same.

Nah, all ready for the game, but something needs to be done before i begin my playthrough, so gotta wait a bit.

Gotta say, tho, i am probably one of the rare ones who likes the fact that they lowered the corny stuff by a lot. Much prefer its current tone compared to the original.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By ConanTheStoner

@hardwenzen:

I get you. I'm firmly in the embrace the camp group. Glad they didn't sanitize it and go super serious. Makes sense to reel it back on shit like Salazar being as cartoonishly evil as he was. I mean, he's still that, just not as extreme. Might have been a weird clash given the more realistic look? Maybe.

Still dig the OG vibes more, but enjoying what they did with this one all the same.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Last_Lap

@uninspiredcup: I'm not against cutscenes unless you can't skip them or if they are too long.

I watched a couple of short cutscenes and she sounds like a women talking, nothing more, nothing less, I would say serviceable.

Now if people don't like her performance then skip the scenes she's in problem solved, its not like Capcom are gonna recast her and then patch the game in a month's time when everyone has moved on.

Now i'm not saying she should be void of criticism, but when has anybody on social media done it in a constructive way? Also its a RE game its terrible acting is part of its appeal.

And in the end its a video game, a place where "actors" who can't get a gig in Hollywood and Youtubers come to earn a dollar, expecting great things from that is comical at best.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#72 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14902 Posts

WHITE PEOPLE SHOULD NOT VOICE ROLES OF COLOR, EVER

Outside of very specific dubs where they do not override the authentic actor, like Persona.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 ConanTheStoner

😂

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 texasgoldrush

@R4gn4r0k said:

How do people hear race through voice?

Just seems odd to me, people focussing on so many things. And no longer focussing on what's important:

fun factor of a video game.

I can.

Thats how I always knew that Dawn Star was the only appropriately casted character in Jade Empire, which I would never play again because of the wildly inappropriate casting.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 texasgoldrush
@poe13 said:

Yet another person in the entertainment industry making tone deaf comments to "snap back" at the haters. She sounds bored. Full stop. If she wants to keep reading mean comments she will absolutely find the racism, sexism, all the ism's she can wrap up into a nice big ball of toxic hate and condemn it. But to deflect criticism of her voice and use the excuse of "they hate me because they are racist, sexist, or whatever else" is completely missing the point.

The internet is full of nasty, whiny people that go straight to the sex/race/religious affiliation/political group/etc. The best thing to do is ignore those people and focus on the actual criticism. If you aren't going to do that then you will come across just looking like a victim of hate, which doesn't help address criticism of the actual issue: in this case how boring she sounds compared to literally anyone else in this remake.

But at the end of the day, it isn't a super huge deal. She could've done better. That's all.

No, she should fight back. Don't tell people of color what they should or should not do when facing racism.

And Ada Wong is portrayed in the exact way to fit Gao's delivery, She sounds not thrilled to be there because the character isn't thrilled to be there.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 hardwenzen  Online

@texasgoldrush said:

Outside of very specific dubs where they do not override the authentic actor, like Persona.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 texasgoldrush
@Fairmonkey said:

Its not about racism or sexism. Its about her underwhelming vocal performance that didnt fit the character. I dont think she should be harassed but i didnt care for her performance either. Im judging her vocal performance not her sex or race

No, they changed her character, her voice fits.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 6881 Posts
@mesome713 said:

" My Ada is a survivor. She is kind, just, intelligent, and funny. She is unpredictable, resilient, and absolutely not a stereotype. "

Dang, my lady Lily came back strong and knocked them haters out the park. Theyll think twice next time they try to bring that racism and sexual harassment in the House of Gao. Im proud of the Capcom producers and directors for going against the grain and making Lily the first ever Asian Woman to play the Asian Ada Wong. Im tired of these scaredy cats trying to plug white actors into roles of color in fear theyll get cancelled. I say F dem haters, its time we go to war against these haters. We taken everything they got!

Are you playing a character on this forum are you really that cringe inducing? Here is the reality. She sucks as a voice actress and when she got called out on it she played the race card. Nobody wants to hear a shitty voice actress from the west call out " Asian stereotypes" especially when it was Asians who created the character. The race of a VA also means absolutely nothing. Do you think the Japanese are getting white Americans to play Leon's voice? Seriously wokescolds are a cancer to gaming, entertainment and society in general. Also the only reason Capcom hired her is because the ADA VA from RE2 remake joined a Union abd Capcom doesn't deal with Unions so im not sure how proud a progressive should be of that. 🤷‍♂️

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Last_Lap

@texasgoldrush: No offence, but you are batshit crazy.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Silentchief
@hardwenzen said:

The Leon VA is great.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 texasgoldrush

@silentchief said:
@mesome713 said:

" My Ada is a survivor. She is kind, just, intelligent, and funny. She is unpredictable, resilient, and absolutely not a stereotype. "

Dang, my lady Lily came back strong and knocked them haters out the park. Theyll think twice next time they try to bring that racism and sexual harassment in the House of Gao. Im proud of the Capcom producers and directors for going against the grain and making Lily the first ever Asian Woman to play the Asian Ada Wong. Im tired of these scaredy cats trying to plug white actors into roles of color in fear theyll get cancelled. I say F dem haters, its time we go to war against these haters. We taken everything they got!

Are you playing a character on this forum are you really that cringe inducing? Here is the reality. She sucks as a voice actress and when she got called out on it she played the race card.

Or you are playing the white supremacist race card, and she is perfectly fine going after the haters.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 texasgoldrush

@last_lap said:

@texasgoldrush: No offence, but you are batshit crazy.

WRONG

Once again.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52429 Posts

omg internet mad at me

She and Luis were weak.i

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Last_Lap

@texasgoldrush: What if a person is both black & white, what then?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 hardwenzen  Online

@last_lap: I want you to rate Ada on a scale of 1-10. Go.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 texasgoldrush

@last_lap said:

@texasgoldrush: What if a person is both black & white, what then?

If they are mixed race, they can play roles of color because they are of color.

And a person of color can voice a white role, not the other way around.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By ConanTheStoner

Unless it's for Persona dubs tho, then it's ok. Gotta read the fine print.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Last_Lap

@hardwenzen: Rate her on what?

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 texasgoldrush

@ConanTheStoner said:

Unless it's for Persona dubs tho, gotta read the fine print.

Because they are not the main actors for the role, and it is a specific case where a Japanese game company allowed them to voice Japanese characters, so permissive use is granted.

But I play it voiced in Japanese, how its meant to be played.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Last_Lap

@texasgoldrush: But you said white people can't voice black roles, the person is still white though.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 texasgoldrush

@last_lap said:

@texasgoldrush: But you said white people can't voice black roles, the person is still white though.

No, they are of color and are seen as such.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 hardwenzen  Online

@last_lap said:

@hardwenzen: Rate her on what?

On everything you see on your screen.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Silentchief

@texasgoldrush said:
@silentchief said:
@mesome713 said:

Are you playing a character on this forum are you really that cringe inducing? Here is the reality. She sucks as a voice actress and when she got called out on it she played the race card.

Or you are playing the white supremacist race card, and she is perfectly fine going after the haters.

You're a certified reset-era nutjob.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 texasgoldrush

@silentchief said:
@texasgoldrush said:
@silentchief said:
@mesome713 said:

You're a certified reset-era nutjob.

They are much better than a certified white supremacist. And you show the signs of a white supremacist.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Last_Lap

@hardwenzen: Oh you're one of those. I'll pass as I don't find video game characters attractive sorry.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Last_Lap

@texasgoldrush: Are you of a mixed race? Because you can't speak for them if you're not.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By hardwenzen  Online
@last_lap said:

@hardwenzen: Oh you're one of those. I'll pass as I don't find video game characters attractive sorry.

You simply suck. I wanted to debate you, but Aussies prefer admiring their 3d cars. What a shame.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Last_Lap

@hardwenzen: Nothings stopping you from scoring her, maybe someone else will debate you over it. So go ahead give everyone your score.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 hardwenzen  Online

@last_lap said:

@hardwenzen: Nothings stopping you from scoring her, maybe someone else will debate you over it. So go ahead give everyone your score.

I wanted your opinion, and your opinion only.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By texasgoldrush

"Inauthentic casting perpetuates an unhealthy image that further dehumanizes the community they seek to reflect."

Hence white actors are not appropriate in roles of color. Lily Gao nails this.

None of the other Ada Wong game acting roles were appropriate, and Jolene Andersen should never have been cast as Ada in RE2 Remake.