Portal 2 Hype Thread! (56k) 9.0 @ GS! spoilers = Suspension. Yee be warned.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts

[QUOTE="SAGE_OF_FIRE"][QUOTE="lazerface216"]

yeah, that's why i'm leaning towards it. i just prefer the 360 controller for FPS games (i know it's not technically an FPS but you know what i mean), but i think i'll get over it. btw, what do you mean by free updates?

Karnage108

When Valve creates dlc/expansions for the game (which they already said they are doing) it will be free on the PC and PS3, while you'll have to pay for it on the 360.

Actually, Valve has said that PC and ps3 will be updated frequently (as such is the case with most games that use Steam) but they never actually confirmed anything about whether or not you'll have to pay for DLC.

And I wouldn't be so sure to assume that PC will get all kinds of free DLC either, based on that TF2 Mann-co crap.

Valve has always made free dlc. Steamworks on the PS3 allows Valve to patch/update the game without having to deal with PSN, which means free content upgrades.
hypoty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#152 hypoty
Member since 2009 • 2825 Posts

[QUOTE="SAGE_OF_FIRE"][QUOTE="Karnage108"]It could be good, but I think people are over-hyping just a bit too much. The first was good for what it was (which for me, was a game I beat in 2-3 hours), but it will take more than making a sequel and slapping a $50/$60 price tag to see if that will actually translate to the great game we would like to expect.Karnage108
The second game is like 12-16 hours apparently.

I find that hard to believe. I'll admit I don't know much about Portal 2 aside from seeing a couple videos and reading about some of the added features, but if the game plays the same way as the first one for the most part, how can they possibly make it last that long without it getting repetitive? I just think there's a reason to be skeptical, that's all.

I think that's with the co-op and SP combined, both campaigns last around 7-8 hours and are separate from each other. The devs have added new game mechanics, like the repulsion gel, speed gel, reflection cubes, anti-gravity beams as well as new characters etc. There's enough new content in there to stop it from getting repetative, Portal 1 looks very bare compared to Portal 2.

Karnage108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#153 Karnage108
Member since 2010 • 2595 Posts
[QUOTE="Karnage108"]

[QUOTE="SAGE_OF_FIRE"] When Valve creates dlc/expansions for the game (which they already said they are doing) it will be free on the PC and PS3, while you'll have to pay for it on the 360. SAGE_OF_FIRE

Actually, Valve has said that PC and ps3 will be updated frequently (as such is the case with most games that use Steam) but they never actually confirmed anything about whether or not you'll have to pay for DLC.

And I wouldn't be so sure to assume that PC will get all kinds of free DLC either, based on that TF2 Mann-co crap.

Valve has always made free dlc. Steamworks on the PS3 allows Valve to patch/update the game without having to deal with PSN, which means free content upgrades.

I know they will release some free DLC, but what about the Steam Wallet? They wouldn't have made that if they don't plan on charging for things in the future, right?
redstormrisen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 redstormrisen
Member since 2007 • 2015 Posts
In other news, apparently you can no longer mic spam on TF2 :( SAGE_OF_FIRE
Thats what mic spam servers are for ;)
Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#155 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/04/15/portal-2-review-scores-94-and-an-editors-choice-award-in-pc-gamer/

dunno if this has been posted yet..

PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts

Needs more potatoes. :evil:

jamejame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 jamejame
Member since 2005 • 10634 Posts

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/04/15/portal-2-review-scores-94-and-an-editors-choice-award-in-pc-gamer/

Espada12

Blah, they scored Dragon Age II a 94 as well. Granted, its probably a different reviewer, but still.

Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#158 Wanderer5
Member since 2006 • 25727 Posts

If you get the potato sack deal or preorder Portal 2 you get a companion cube pin in TF2.

h575309

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 h575309
Member since 2005 • 8551 Posts

Espada12

Thats surely not a surprise. This game is going to be a true gem. And according to my very precise calculations (a ruler) we could have portal 2 by tomorrow morning.

h575309

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 h575309

[QUOTE="Espada12"]

jamejame

Blah, they scored Dragon Age II a 94 as well. Granted, its probably a different reviewer, but still.

Yea but they are usually pretty tough on games. Its true about DA2 though, I hope their objectivity doesnt come into question for that review.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

[QUOTE="Espada12"]

jamejame

Yeah, their cred took a big hit with that one.

PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 PBSnipes

Thats surely not a surprise. This game is going to be a true gem. And according to my very precise calculations (a ruler) we could have portal 2 by tomorrow morning.

h575309

You need to take into account the time of day, though -- GLaDOS@Home (lulz) has only been running during peak user hours, so we should see a big drop-off in users tonight. Unless Valve boosts the rate the meter fills up (which could happen, as I would've thought their goal would be to have it unlock tonight) I wouldn't expect anything until tomorrow afternoon/evening.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts
The PS3 version should get a higher score than the 360 version simply for having those amazing perks.
jamejame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 jamejame

The PS3 version should get a higher score than the 360 version simply for having those amazing perks.Hexagon_777
Why? Its virtually the same game at launch. Game's are reviewed by how they launch and for the system on which they release. I don't think the PS3 version should get a higher score because Steam allows for easier updates down the road, that would be inconsistent with the way Gamespothas reviewed previousgames.This is coming from someone who's buying the PS3 version.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 Hexagon_777

[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]The PS3 version should get a higher score than the 360 version simply for having those amazing perks.jamejame

Why? Its virtually the same game at launch. Game's are reviewed by how they launch and for the system on which they release. I don't think the PS3 version should get a higher score because Steam allows for easier updates down the road, that would be inconsistent with the way Gamespothas reviewed previousgames.This is coming from someone who's buying the PS3 version.

Why are you just focusing the easier updates aspect?
Head_of_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 Head_of_games
Member since 2007 • 10859 Posts
We need moar POWER!!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
The amount of potatoes you have determines how much power you contribute. Check the ARG wiki if you want to get some.
PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 PBSnipes

Here's an explanation on how things work (shamlessly stolen from RPS):

"Remember the Potato Sack? GlaDOS is apparently drawing "power" from computers playing games in the potato sack. For every collective 48 hours for one particular game, that game's "power bar" goes up by 1%. And Steam needs to record you actually playing the game – just leaving something idling in the background does not contribute. The potatoes we all frantically collected can still be collected – in fact, you are a major contributor if you even collect one potato in one game. Potatoes multiply that game's particular power, so if, say, you gathered 5 potatoes in Audiosurf and one in Bit.TRIP BEAT, you'd be multiplying EVERYONE's efforts in Audiosurf by 6x and BIT.TRIP BEAT by 2x. Some people seem to think that launching multiple games is a good idea. This is in fact, not helping at all, because Steam only records keyboard activity in games launched through Steam, not through external launching."

The Wiki's down, so go here to figure out how to get potatoes.

Head_of_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 Head_of_games
Keep this baby bumped! TC, edit the title so we can get some reinforcements!
jamejame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 jamejame

[QUOTE="jamejame"]

[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]The PS3 version should get a higher score than the 360 version simply for having those amazing perks.Hexagon_777

Its the same game on PC, I don't see how alinkedSteam account with the ability to play onPC should up the score. I'd rather the game be scored on its merits in gameplay, not additional features that offer a nice convenience that the average consumer likely won't make use of anyway.

Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 Wanderer5

Here's an explanation on how things work (shamlessly stolen from RPS):

"Remember the Potato Sack? GlaDOS is apparently drawing "power" from computers playing games in the potato sack. For every collective 48 hours for one particular game, that game's "power bar" goes up by 1%. And Steam needs to record you actually playing the game – just leaving something idling in the background does not contribute. The potatoes we all frantically collected can still be collected – in fact, you are a major contributor if you even collect one potato in one game. Potatoes multiply that game's particular power, so if, say, you gathered 5 potatoes in Audiosurf and one in Bit.TRIP BEAT, you'd be multiplying EVERYONE's efforts in Audiosurf by 6x and BIT.TRIP BEAT by 2x. Some people seem to think that launching multiple games is a good idea. This is in fact, not helping at all, because Steam only records keyboard activity in games launched through Steam, not through external launching."

The Wiki's down, so go here to figure out how to get potatoes.

PBSnipes

That link is down too. Going to start some of the games pretty soon.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 Hexagon_777

[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"][QUOTE="jamejame"]Why? Its virtually the same game at launch. Game's are reviewed by how they launch and for the system on which they release. I don't think the PS3 version should get a higher score because Steam allows for easier updates down the road, that would be inconsistent with the way Gamespothas reviewed previousgames.This is coming from someone who's buying the PS3 version.

jamejame

Its the same game on PC, I don't see how alinkedSteam account with the ability to play onPC should up the score. I'd rather the game be scored on its merits in gameplay, not additional features that offer a nice convenience that the average consumer likely won't make use of anyway.

Gameplay? You'll get to play with both PS3 gamers and PC gamers, right? That's a much larger user base, thus promising to prolong the game's online life.

Locutus_Picard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 Locutus_Picard
Member since 2004 • 4159 Posts

A at best, this game is CONSOLIZED. :x

(jk)

jamejame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 jamejame

[QUOTE="jamejame"]

[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]Why are you just focusing the easier updates aspect?Hexagon_777

Gameplay? You'll get to play with both PS3 gamers and PC gamers, right? That's a much larger user base, thus promising to prolong the game's online life.

Scoring a game based on its projected user base is ridiculous. If we did that then many PS3 multiplats would have scored lower simply because less people game online on the PS3 in general. Considering co-op only requires one other person to play and the fact that TF2 on consoles released back in 2007 still has a user base, that would be a pretty baselesss thing to score a game off of.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 Hexagon_777

[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]

[QUOTE="jamejame"]Its the same game on PC, I don't see how alinkedSteam account with the ability to play onPC should up the score. I'd rather the game be scored on its merits in gameplay, not additional features that offer a nice convenience that the average consumer likely won't make use of anyway.

jamejame

Scoring a game based on its projected user base is ridiculous. If we did that then many PS3 multiplats would have scored lower simply because less people game online on the PS3 in general. Considering co-op only requires one other person to play and the fact that TF2 on consoles released back in 2007 still has a user base, that would be a pretty baselesss thing to score a game off of.

Point is, the PS3 is getting perks the 360 simply won't have access to. It is the superior version, as has been repeated countless times.

ShyGuy0504

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 ShyGuy0504
Member since 2009 • 1138 Posts

I'm predicting a 9.5. The first game was amazing but sadly it only took me 3 hours to complete. Hope this one is a decent length.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#177 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Yay Portal 2.

NO SPOILERS

jamejame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 jamejame

[QUOTE="jamejame"]

[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]Gameplay? You'll get to play with both PS3 gamers and PC gamers, right? That's a much larger user base, thus promising to prolong the game's online life.

Hexagon_777

Point is, the PS3 is getting perks the 360 simply won't have access to. It is the superior version, as has been repeated countless times.

Point is, the game at launch will be the same. Lets not base our scores off updates that may happen in the future. Its worth a mention in the review that the PS3 will have these capabilities, but to call it superior would be stupid because until we see evidence of update support, free DLC, etc, the versions are identical.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#179 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49606 Posts
I predict a solid 8.
caughtjoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#180 caughtjoo
Member since 2009 • 975 Posts
lolololol They want me to play Amnesia to get Portal 2 early, lolololol no way.
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 Hexagon_777

[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]

[QUOTE="jamejame"]Scoring a game based on its projected user base is ridiculous. If we did that then many PS3 multiplats would have scored lower simply because less people game online on the PS3 in general. Considering co-op only requires one other person to play and the fact that TF2 on consoles released back in 2007 still has a user base, that would be a pretty baselesss thing to score a game off of.

jamejame

Point is, the game at launch will be the same. Lets not base our scores off updates that may happen in the future. Its worth a mention in the review that the PS3 will have these capabilities, but to call it superior would be stupid because until we see evidence of update support, free DLC, etc, the versions are identical.

How are the PS3 and 360 equal when the PS3 has Steamworks and the 360 does not?

Head_of_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 Head_of_games
Almost to eleven percent! We gotta step up our game though, at this rate we won't get it till monday.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

What I want to know is, how the hell can you spoil Portal? There's nothing to spoil.

Oh, I know. Maybe this time there will actually be cake! :o

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

What I want to know is, how the hell can you spoil Portal? There's nothing to spoil.

There's an actual storyline, connecting with portal 1. I'm hyping 10.0 and game of the year since I got to try it yesterday. The first 5 minutes of gameplay were graphically spectacular.
Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#185 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49606 Posts
PC Gamer loved it. http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/04/15/portal-2-review-scores-94-and-an-editors-choice-award-in-pc-gamer/
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts
[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]PC Gamer loved it. http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/04/15/portal-2-review-scores-94-and-an-editors-choice-award-in-pc-gamer/

PC gamer also scored Dragon Age II better than Origins. Yeah. :|
jamejame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 jamejame

PC Gamer loved it. http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/04/15/portal-2-review-scores-94-and-an-editors-choice-award-in-pc-gamer/Stevo_the_gamer
Considering they scored Dragon Age 2 a 94, I'll translate that to a solid 8.5. I honestly can't see this game scoring lower though.

killzonexbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 killzonexbox
Member since 2010 • 3019 Posts

Valve history

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 deactivated-58b6232955e4a

DarkLink77
Same universe as Half Life ... so .. you know it's possible it has something cool in there.
Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 Wanderer5

Okay... I did some Audiosurf and Bit trip beat and found the portal like levels. So how do I get add power to the bar? I got something like a audio transmission on BTB but it didn't seem to start.

PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 PBSnipes

Okay... I did some Audiosurf and Bit trip beat and found the portal like levels. So how do I get add power to the bar? I got something like a audio transmission on BTB but it didn't seem to start.

Wanderer5

Just playing adds to the bar, while collecting potatoes adds a multiplier to the bar (or something like that).

Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 Wanderer5

[QUOTE="Wanderer5"]

PBSnipes

Just playing adds to the bar, while collecting potatoes adds a multiplier to the bar (or something like that).

You link is still not working.

PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 PBSnipes

Wanderer5

Weird, it was just up and working fine a minute ago.

Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 Wanderer5

[QUOTE="Wanderer5"]

PBSnipes

Weird, it was just up and working fine a minute ago.

Well anyway time to help AAAAA!!!, Bit.Trip Beat, and Audiosurf give some power.

NoirLamia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#195 NoirLamia
Member since 2010 • 801 Posts

Wow i haven't voted on this yet, I can see it getting a 9 :)

Looks great!

Valiant_Rebel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 Valiant_Rebel
Member since 2009 • 4197 Posts

Best Buy - $35.

Cannot resist. I'm so ready for this. You guys don't understand how pumped I am. I'm doing backflips off my wall right now.

h575309

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 h575309

Best Buy - $35.

Cannot resist. I'm so ready for this. You guys don't understand how pumped I am. I'm doing backflips off my wall right now.

Valiant_Rebel
Well I already preordered there. I guess they'll honor this? Damn well hope so
MobilechicaneX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 MobilechicaneX
Member since 2009 • 2863 Posts

Why the hell has this thread been stickied yet the Mortal Kombat thread hasn't? That's BS.

abuabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 abuabed
Member since 2005 • 6606 Posts
I thought the first was cool but not AAA so I'll play it safe and hype this one AA.
Head_of_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 Head_of_games

I thought the first was cool but not AAA so I'll play it safe and hype this one AA.abuabed

The first game was practically perfect in every way. There are quite literally no flaws that I can think of.

There are no flaws Yahtzee F***ing Crowshaw could think of.

The only ting wrong with it was that it had to end.