Portal 2 Hype Thread! (56k) 9.0 @ GS! spoilers = Suspension. Yee be warned.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

moistsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 moistsandwich
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

I don't see the appeal of Portal 2.

correct me if I'm wrong... but what fun is there in a puzzle game that is Co-op only... it does allow for some crazy hard puzzles to be sure, but then you are left at the mercy of whoever you are playing with.

I guess I see puzzle games as a way to challenge myself, I don't see the fun of potentially having someone show you how to do it, or on the flip side of that, having someone constantly mess up the level.

I apologize if I'm off base here, but from the vids I've seen and marketing, I am under the impression that Portal 2 is a co-op afair only.

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#52 GeneralShowzer
Member since 2010 • 11598 Posts
It has SP and CO-OP campaigns + A lot of user made levels that will be available.
edidili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 edidili
Member since 2004 • 3449 Posts

I apologize if I'm off base here, but from the vids I've seen and marketing, I am under the impression that Portal 2 is a co-op afair only.

moistsandwich

The only reason why the multiplayer is hyped this much in marketing it's because is a new feature in the serie. You'll still have your sp maps.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#54 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

Nice hype thread man. Im gonna go and give it a 9.0 for being a tad bit different from portal, and it seeming its going to be a lot more different this time.

fabz_95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#55 fabz_95
Member since 2006 • 15425 Posts
Wow, the game comes out next month, the year's gone by so quickly. I think the game's going to be fantastic, co-op gameplay looks very good and I think the game will score AAA for sure.
hypoty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 hypoty
Member since 2009 • 2825 Posts

I don't see the appeal of Portal 2.

correct me if I'm wrong... but what fun is there in a puzzle game that is Co-op only... it does allow for some crazy hard puzzles to be sure, but then you are left at the mercy of whoever you are playing with.

I guess I see puzzle games as a way to challenge myself, I don't see the fun of potentially having someone show you how to do it, or on the flip side of that, having someone constantly mess up the level.

moistsandwich

There's an 8 hour story mode which apparently features good writing and an excellent storyline. The co-op is just icing.

Episode_Eve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Episode_Eve
Member since 2004 • 16986 Posts

Nice thread, I like how you implemented the colors. :P

I'm predicting a AAA - 9.0 score.

I know Portal 2 will be good, but my interest isn't very high right now. If, or whenever I do get it, it'll be the PS3 version (and in-turn, the PC version :P).

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 lazerface216
Member since 2008 • 7564 Posts

i saw the gamestop commercial for it last night with the two robots, it was hilarious. i'd love to hype it AAA, but lately i don't know, an 8.5 is probably more realistic.

caughtjoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#59 caughtjoo
Member since 2009 • 975 Posts
Been pre-ordered for PC since Valve opened it up on Steam. 9.0 here.
DreamCryotank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 DreamCryotank
Member since 2011 • 1829 Posts

AAA. My most anticipated game this year, along with The Witcher. Can't wait.

MobilechicaneX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 MobilechicaneX
Member since 2009 • 2863 Posts

I have a feeling that Wheatley will be an awesome character.

TheEpicGoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 TheEpicGoat
Member since 2011 • 2006 Posts

I believe a flops a comin'.

lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4867 Posts
I'm having a hard time seeing this game turn into a full game. Im saying 8.5
MobilechicaneX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 MobilechicaneX
Member since 2009 • 2863 Posts

Portal 2 Bot Trust

jamejame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#66 jamejame
Member since 2005 • 10634 Posts

I think it'll get 8.5'd to be honest. The game looks amazing, I'm picking it up day one, but a 7.5 hour single player campaign and a 7.5 hour multiplayer campaign in a puzzle game simply won't have a lot of lasting appeal once the puzzles are solved. These are confirmed numbers by the way. So that's about 15 hours of overall gameplay, after which, yes you could play through the game again (and I'm sure its going to be one hell of a game, looks very clever), but you won't be getting much replay value when you know the solutions. Hence the almost unfair nature of puzzle games. I'm sure the charm has a chance of upping the score to AAA, but that's entirely dependent on the player. Regardless, for me it'll be a AAA game no matter what reviews say.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
AA or AAA imho. I'm interested to see how it'll expand, I have a feeling Valve has been holding back quite a few details from the public and media, like with the first.
Wesrcks13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Wesrcks13
Member since 2009 • 1226 Posts

I think it'll get 8.5'd to be honest. The game looks amazing, I'm picking it up day one, but a 7.5 hour single player campaign and a 7.5 hour multiplayer campaign in a puzzle game simply won't have a lot of lasting appeal once the puzzles are solved. These are confirmed numbers by the way. So that's about 15 hours of overall gameplay, after which, yes you could play through the game again (and I'm sure its going to be one hell of a game, looks very clever), but you won't be getting much replay value when you know the solutions. Hence the almost unfair nature of puzzle games. I'm sure the charm has a chance of upping the score to AAA, but that's entirely dependent on the player. Regardless, for me it'll be a AAA game no matter what reviews say.

jamejame

But what about the user created content? I know that's definitely gonna keep me playing after I beat the game.

jamejame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 jamejame

[QUOTE="jamejame"]

Wesrcks13

But what about the user created content? I know that's definitely gonna keep me playing after I beat the game.

I assume you're referring to mods? Unless there's some form of level editor in the game that I didn't know about. Pretty sure reviewers don't take mods into consideration in their reviews, otherwise PC games would far outscore console ones. Speaking of which, I've heard the PS3 version supports Steamworks. Does this mean it will be mod compatible as well?

Wesrcks13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Wesrcks13

[QUOTE="Wesrcks13"]

[QUOTE="jamejame"]

jamejame

I assume you're referring to mods? Unless there's some form of level editor in the game that I didn't know about. Pretty sure reviewers don't take mods into consideration in their reviews, otherwise PC games would far outscore console ones. Speaking of which, I've heard the PS3 version supports Steamworks. Does this mean it will be mod compatible as well?

Yeah, that's what I meant :P. Your right, they won't even become available until after launch to GS won't mention it in their review.

To answer the PS3 question, Valve confirmed that only PC users will be able to create mods, but what they create will be playable on all versions:

"While the tools to create mods for Portal 2 will be exclusive to the PC, the content created with those tools will be playable across all versions of the title."

"The Xbox 360 version of Super Meat Boy includes a special unlockable area, dubbed "Teh Internets," that allows for user- and developer-created levels from the PC level editor to be downloaded independent of Microsoft's Xbox Live Marketplace environment."

Here's a source

jamejame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 jamejame

[QUOTE="jamejame"]

[QUOTE="Wesrcks13"]

Wesrcks13

Yeah, that's what I meant :P. Your right, they won't even become available until after launch to GS won't mention it in their review.

To answer the PS3 question, Valve confirmed that only PC users will be able to create mods, but what they create will be playable on all versions:

"While the tools to create mods for Portal 2 will be exclusive to the PC, the content created with those tools will be playable across all versions of the title."

"The Xbox 360 version of Super Meat Boy includes a special unlockable area, dubbed "Teh Internets," that allows for user- and developer-created levels from the PC level editor to be downloaded independent of Microsoft's Xbox Live Marketplace environment."

Here's a source

Woah! I thought Microsoft was extrmely strict on mod support. This comes as a hugesurprise to me as they didn't support mods for Unreal Tournament III when the PS3 did. Huh.

Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#72 Young_Charter
Member since 2009 • 20067 Posts
Awesome Thread... You overkilled it lol
Urworstnhtmare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#73 Urworstnhtmare
Member since 2008 • 2630 Posts

I see this getting a 9 or a 9.5

Zurrur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Zurrur
Member since 2009 • 1701 Posts

Another generic FPS? no thx

Urworstnhtmare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Urworstnhtmare
Member since 2008 • 2630 Posts

Zurrur

You are joking right?

bad_fur_day

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#76 bad_fur_day
Member since 2008 • 1988 Posts

Cool thread. Awesome game. Definately one of the more interesting games coming out.

And the guy saying this is generic... It couldn't be any less generic, lol.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

Zurrur

We must have perks and killstreaks(Pre-applied cheats) in every FPS now?

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
AAA on PC and PS3 for sure. Possibly 8.5'd on 360 due to being the inferior version.
cobrax55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 cobrax55
Member since 2007 • 1364 Posts

[QUOTE="jamejame"]

[QUOTE="Wesrcks13"]

Wesrcks13

Here's a source

I think your taking that out of context, Valve generally takes popular user generated maps and makes them official for everybody. Im pretty sure thats what they are talking about here.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Like the original Portal, I'm going to probably play it only once.

Avatar image for SennheiserHD800
SennheiserHD800

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 SennheiserHD800
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
9/10. Can't wait for the game to be released!
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#82 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
This game needs to let me play as the Killing FLoor characters or someone less annoying.
John_Read

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 John_Read
Member since 2009 • 1214 Posts
8.5 imo
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
This game needs to let me play as the Killing FLoor characters or someone less annoying.JigglyWiggly_
Does not compute. Less annoying. Killing floor characters DOSH get it while it's hawt lads. Money money money~
Wesrcks13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Wesrcks13

Turrets Trailer

Just 2 weeks away :)

timmy00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#86 timmy00
Member since 2006 • 15360 Posts

[QUOTE="jamejame"]

[QUOTE="Wesrcks13"]

Wesrcks13

Here's a source

That's amazing! :o

AtlanticRock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#87 AtlanticRock
Member since 2007 • 8131 Posts

Turrets Trailer

Just 2 weeks away :)

Wesrcks13

O_O

Money,.... I need more money!

Wesrcks13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Wesrcks13

The first 5 minutes of the co op campaign!

Doesn't really spoil anything, it's more of a tutorial level and shows you what to expect. :o (IGN plays it with commentary)

TheKing012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 TheKing012
Member since 2011 • 1191 Posts

obligatory bump.

i'm calling:

PS3= 9.0

PC= 9.0

Xbox 360= 8.5

nice hype thread...BTW.

AndyAlfredo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 AndyAlfredo
Member since 2009 • 1402 Posts

The first 5 minutes of the co op campaign!

Doesn't really spoil anything, it's more of a tutorial level and shows you what to expect. :o (IGN plays it with commentary)

Wesrcks13

I am excite! How people aren't looking forward to this game is beyond my mental limitations.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts

[QUOTE="Wesrcks13"]

[QUOTE="jamejame"]I assume you're referring to mods? Unless there's some form of level editor in the game that I didn't know about. Pretty sure reviewers don't take mods into consideration in their reviews, otherwise PC games would far outscore console ones. Speaking of which, I've heard the PS3 version supports Steamworks. Does this mean it will be mod compatible as well?

timmy00

Here's a source

I wouldn't get too hopeful. It will probably end up in the same situation as Unreal Tournament 3 for the PS3.
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#92 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

I have 5 games on my steam account that have been patched by M. Glados today.
(The Ball.
Rush.
Killing Floor.
Audio Surf.
Amnesia: The Dark Descent.)

DreamCryotank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 DreamCryotank
Member since 2011 • 1829 Posts

Boots Trailer

:lol: I can't wait for this game.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

I see it hard for this game to actually fail as its so far from normal games. and completely improves everything from the first by so much. The only thing it will get marks taken away from it is for story maybe. But it looks like a lot of fun.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Boots Trailer

DreamCryotank

Their commercials are superb. They are hilarious. Perfect sense of humour

Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts

I see it hard for this game to actually fail as its so far from normal games. and completely improves everything from the first by so much. The only thing it will get marks taken away from it is for story maybe. But it looks like a lot of fun.

seanmcloughlin
Portal was like a tech demo and Valve is good with story telling, I'm sure they can do something cool with Portal 2.
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#97 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Anybody know of more games that got updated?
Best marketing method ever.
Also, where can I access the Amnesia content?

timmy00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#98 timmy00
Member since 2006 • 15360 Posts

[QUOTE="timmy00"]

[QUOTE="Wesrcks13"]

Here's a source

ferret-gamer

I wouldn't get too hopeful. It will probably end up in the same situation as Unreal Tournament 3 for the PS3.

How did that ended? I haven't played UT3 yet. :P

Wesrcks13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Wesrcks13

I want to point some things out I don't think have been mentioned in this thread:

There will be co-op splitscreen on the console versions

As for the length of Portal 2, the single player is going to be 3x longer than the original Portal and the co op campaign will be 2x longer. :)

source

dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

Boots Trailer

DreamCryotank