Official GS GOTY 2013 - Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts

The people getting upset over this remind of people who get upset when compact cars win COTY awards. Sure, that compact car doesn't hold a candle to the mid-size, luxury and performance vehicles on the market, but it's still a damn good car and it should be recognized for the accomplishments it achieved despite the limitations of the platform.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#152  Edited By Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

I'm really glad it didn't go to YAWN of the year GTAV.

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153 Rage010101
Member since 2006 • 5470 Posts

@Maroxad said:

@Rage010101: Thanks, the stuff you have said in this thread have been good as well. And while I am at it, Journey from last year winning all those GOTY awards proved so even further. Pure brilliance far outshines production values, my personal GOTY of last year was Kid Icarus: Uprising and my GOTY from 2010 was Mount&Blade: Warband a game I spent almost 700 hours playing. Both of those games had far lower production values than your average AAA game (Warband is the stand alone expansion pack of a game made by 2 people). I too am a hermit, with the primary reason for being a hermit is not those AAA games, but rather the brilliant indie and niche titles that come out for the PC platform.

Totally agree. Games like Natural Selection 2, Chivalry, Terraria, Aquaria, FTL: Faster Than Light, Brothers, Monaco, (I can name more and go on for quite awhile), etc are some of my favorite games of all time. It's sad that alot of people won't try these games because they've convinced themselves, or rather, have let mainstream gaming brain wash them into only playing heavily commercialized games. It's sad when you think about it. They let the media do all the thinking for them. I'm glad I was born in an era when gaming in general was a niche (Atari/NES), and finding good games meant personally playing through heaps of games to find the true gems. There was no internet back then, and there wasn't any review system. I just played anything I could get my hands on. It didn't matter to me whether a game was short or long, had high production values or not; a good game was a good game. I'm glad I've embraced and lived by that gaming code even today. It's probably one of the main reasons why I love PC gaming so much (aside from loving all the games that require a higher level of thinking), and why I am a huge Indie supporter. Indies are the true innovators of the modern gaming industry.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@Rage010101 said:

@Maroxad said:

@Rage010101: Thanks, the stuff you have said in this thread have been good as well. And while I am at it, Journey from last year winning all those GOTY awards proved so even further. Pure brilliance far outshines production values, my personal GOTY of last year was Kid Icarus: Uprising and my GOTY from 2010 was Mount&Blade: Warband a game I spent almost 700 hours playing. Both of those games had far lower production values than your average AAA game (Warband is the stand alone expansion pack of a game made by 2 people). I too am a hermit, with the primary reason for being a hermit is not those AAA games, but rather the brilliant indie and niche titles that come out for the PC platform.

Totally agree. Games like Natural Selection 2, Chivalry, Terraria, Aquaria, FTL: Faster Than Light, Brothers, Monaco, (I can name more and go on for quite awhile), etc are some of my favorite games of all time. It's sad that alot of people won't try these games because they've convinced themselves, or rather, have let mainstream gaming brain wash them into only playing heavily commercialized games. It's sad when you think about it. They let the media do all the thinking for them. I'm glad I was born in an era when gaming in general was a niche (Atari/NES), and finding good games meant personally playing through heaps of games to find the true gems. There was no internet back then, and there wasn't any review system. I just played anything I could get my hands on. It didn't matter to me whether a game was short or long, had high production values or not; a good game was a good game. I'm glad I've embraced and lived by that gaming code even today. It's probably one of the main reasons why I love PC gaming so much (aside from loving all the games that require a higher level of thinking), and why I am a huge Indie supporter. Indies are the true innovators of the modern gaming industry.

They are and they aren't. Do we need another psuedo psychological game about depressed characters mirroring our real life problems? You must admit even this trope is getting old.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

I'm going to play the game soon because it's Zelda, but I really doubt I will like it. It looks like the worst game in the series since Zelda 2 to me. Linearity is the series' greatest strength, imo, but it probably doesn't really make much difference in the 2D setting, I guess.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23958 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide: Well, some indie devs do innovate more than others. However, none of those games he listed though is "yet another psuedo psychological game about depressed characters mirroring our real life problems" though. I cant speak for him, but personally, I just ignore those games, there are so many other brilliant indie games to choose from anyways.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

The Last Of Us: flop of the year

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#158  Edited By Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

Butthurt

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#159 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

@x1ps4life said:

This site is a joke

So are your posts. Honestly, they're a perfect match.

brentendo3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 brentendo3
Member since 2013 • 176 Posts

Just in time for Feedbackula tomorrow.

ocidax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 ocidax
Member since 2003 • 791 Posts

PS4 vs XOne. bla bla bla. Fanboys wars. Wii U not Next gen. Nintendo is doomed. Meanwhile a NINTENDO game is THE GAME OF THE YEAR. Thanks Nintendo and congrats, the good games, all that matter.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#162 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

The comment section for the GOTY page is breath taking.

"It's official: Nintendo has won gaming. From now on, we'll only be allowed to purchase and play Nintendo games, and will be obligated to destroy our non-Nintendo gaming posessions.

...what's that? We don't? Then what the hell is everyone so worked up about?"

Salty as ****

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 Zen_Light
Member since 2010 • 2143 Posts

@Sagem28 said:

Gamespot trying to be special again.

It's a good game, but GOTY ? No way in hell.

LOL Stay mad moo cow.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

This was completely unexpected. When's the last time a handheld game won GOTY? It's a great game, but I don't even think it was the best Nintendo game this year when Pikmin 3 and Super Mario 3D World came out this year.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@Blabadon said:

@MonsieurX said:

Butthurt

tchbo

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#166 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Unexpected. I didn't play it so I have no idea how good it really is. It seems to get pretty high praise though.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#167 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts

Ha, awesome. I'm happy with that, haven't played it yet but it looks brilliant. And GTA5/TLOU/Bioshock all have some annoying sections and flaws throughout so if Zelda is pure fun the whole way through it'll beat them out for me as well.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#168 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14500 Posts

About right for GS. Surprised by the choice, nonetheless.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

Didn't expect that. Congrats Sheep.

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By Zen_Light

@Rage010101 said:

Alot of you brogamers (seems like mostly cows in this thread) need to seriously stop putting your closed minded delusional ideals that only super industry AAA big publisher console games are worthy of playing and winning GOTY. You guys are tools who put such games on a pedestal after you've seen commercials for it dozens of times and agree with the heavily advertised brogamer gamestop posters. Get a clue you corporate slaves, a good game is a good game. You're so butthurt over a handheld game winning GOTY. You go as far as freak out and belittle indie games, when in my opinion, there are so many indie games I've played that are better than any console exclusive all of last gen. The problem with you guys is that you overhype yourselves and put these casual brogamer games on a golden pedestal, only to be let down when your games are utterly crushed by games you guys deem unworthy. You won't learn though, but at least you produce entertainment for me so that I can laugh at all the butthurt you guys create. Accept Zelda A Link Between Worlds as GOTY, or forever be mind fucked!

Post is Golden! Thank you. +10

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#171  Edited By Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

The year of the 3DS.

Flawless victory. A handheld game showed all the other games what true game design is.

Based Nintendo. Please make the Wii U Zelda like this one.

Lol, what is True game design char?
Because last time I checked you're not a game developer.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 Blabadon

inb4 Animal shows off irrelevant pictures of his gaming consoles again

TREAL_Since

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By TREAL_Since
Member since 2005 • 11946 Posts

3DS has some amazing ass games. I'm not a fan of handheld gaming, but I'd be happy with the content available for the 3DS.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By Animal-Mother

@Blabadon said:

Lol blab butthurt. You gottta have accolades on the streets Blab. :D

You Can't roll like me.

Nub sauce.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By jg4xchamp

I take it back. The gamespot comment section is only funny, the Neogaf comments about Gamespots GOTy is breathtaking

The problem with Zelda winning GOTY is it doesn't provide any social commentary.

Nintendo's entire philosophy is to create games that temporarily draw you away from reality. Games that are essentially created in a vacuum. That's a perfectly fine sort of game to enjoy, and it's possibly why their franchises have aged so well, but they're so abstract nothing can really be gleaned from them.

There's no incite. The player isn't changed by the experience. You turn the game off and move on with your life. You won't hop on the subway and see an elf. You

will

see GTA 5's Trevor, but you won't understand him.

If in 50 years someone want's to get a feel for what gaming (and life) in 2013 was like, is Zelda really the best example?

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

Isn't this the first handheld game to get goty on this site?

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 Animal-Mother

@jg4xchamp said:

I take it back. The gamespot comment section is only funny, the Neogaf comments about Gamespots GOTy is breathtaking

The problem with Zelda winning GOTY is it doesn't provide any social commentary.

Nintendo's entire philosophy is to create games that temporarily draw you away from reality. Games that are essentially created in a vacuum. That's a perfectly fine sort of game to enjoy, and it's possibly why their franchises have aged so well, but they're so abstract nothing can really be gleaned from them.

There's no incite. The player isn't changed by the experience. You turn the game off and move on with your life. You won't hop on the subway and see an elf. You

will

If in 50 years someone want's to get a feel for what gaming (and life) in 2013 was like, is Zelda really the best example?

lol what?

Is the internet THIS serious now?

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 Blabadon

@Animal-Mother said:

@Blabadon said:

Lol blab butthurt. You gottta have accolades on the streets Blab. :D

You Can't roll like me.

Nub sauce.

Instant butthurt

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 jg4xchamp

@Animal-Mother said:

@jg4xchamp said:

will

lol what?

Is the internet THIS serious now?

There was a time the internet wasn't THIS serious?

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 Animal-Mother

Come at me Blabadon. Or actually don't just go play VLR or 999.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

will

Now that is some pretentious ass shit right there.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 Blabadon

I concede, that gif is too awesome.

999/VLR allusion was lame as shit though.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 Animal-Mother

@Blabadon said:

Mhmmm they were absolute shit. Now instead of insulting your fellow posters stay on topic! :D

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 Zen_Light

Wow, this new website traffic is slow as all **** compared to the old one. Such a shame...

TREAL_Since

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 TREAL_Since
@Animal-Mother said:

@charizard1605 said:

The year of the 3DS.

Flawless victory. A handheld game showed all the other games what true game design is.

I wanted to comment on this as well. What is true game design? I'm sure it's char's personal perspective that Nintendo delivers true games design, but I can't put my finger on what that is exactly. Saying they create some of the most 'incredible' or 'amazing' game design would fit better maybe? He IS a game player and has enjoyed so many games in his life, so that gives him personal understanding of what true design is I suppose.

Anyways, Nintendo had one of their best years this year concerning games. They've showered the handheld scene with some incredible stuff (the Wii U, too!).

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#187 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

Kudos to GameSpot for giving the GOTY to a game that hasn't won it anywhere else. I expected GTAV or TLOU, like 99% of the other review sites.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By Animal-Mother

@TREAL_Since said:
@Animal-Mother said:

@charizard1605 said:

The year of the 3DS.

I wanted to comment on this as well. What is true game design? I'm sure it's char's personal perspective that Nintendo delivers true games design, but I can't put my finger on what that is exactly. Saying they create some of the most 'incredible' or 'amazing' game design would fit better maybe? He IS a game player and has enjoyed so many games in his life, so that gives him personal understanding of what true design is I suppose.

Anyways, Nintendo had one of their best years this year concerning games. They've showered the handheld scene with some incredible stuff (the Wii U, too!).

They absolutely created an amazing game and I am in no way denying that. Also Nintendo makes really solid games.

But sitting here calling it "True Game Design" is kinda stupid. ALBTW is an awesome zelda games, they do enough to shake it up with the equipment and dungeons. But It's just Legend of Zelda with rental equipment and do a dungeon in any order. But aside from everything else this year it's not my PERSONAL GOTY but it does deserve it.

As far as i'm concerned there's nothing that exist that's "True Game Design" games are made for all types of people and things. Are there core mechanics to game design styles? Absolutely.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#189 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

Damn, this is a surprise, but it's a cool one. There were a ton of worthy games this year, though. All of the nominees could have walked away with it. The Last of Us, Bioshock Infinite, GTA V, Gone Home, Tomb Raider, and a ton more. One of the best years this gen, up there with 2010 (The GOAT) and 2007.

I guess I have to play ALBW now.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 jg4xchamp

@mems_1224 said:

@jg4xchamp said:

will

lolright? and it's about GTA 5, the **** does GTA 5 teach you about anything. Game is ridiculous as ****.

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 Rage010101
Member since 2006 • 5470 Posts

@Blabadon said:

@MonsieurX said:

Butthurt

Actually there was that annual flop of the year thread we always have and TLOU was voted the most. He's just stating what the majority agree with here on GS. I'm sure it's a good game, but it certainly was an epic level of flop here.

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By Meinhard1
Member since 2010 • 6790 Posts

The fact is there can rarely be a single "the" game of the year.

This was a strong year for gaming and there's no obvious front-runner.

I like this choice because it underscores how important Nintendo still is and validates the idea of quality-focused portable gaming in an increasingly app oriented medium.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#193 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@R3FURBISHED said:

.....Ok

I can't say I agree that a game like this is more deserving than GTA V (a game that does everything and does it all incredibly well) but whatever.

Maybe one day I'll decide its a worthwhile purchase for my 3DS.

It's the best game on the 3DS, the best handheld game ever made, the best Zelda game in 20 years, and the best game of this year. Honestly, I don't know what other recommendation you want.

Yo, this is nonsense.

Ocarina of Time is better. So are Twilight Princess and Majora's Mask.

Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

I'm glad that A Link Between Worlds got it, the game is really good. Funny thing is, its not that difficult of a game at all, just very well designed. The puzzles are all very intuitive once you understand the merging ability. The combat is basic stuff, but it gets the job done. Bosses all needed different tactics, and were decently challenging outside of a certain one that was just cheesy more then anything. The music was some of the best I've heard on the handheld, and I liked no voiced dialogue (this is what ruined RPGs more then anything IMO, and it would be a shame to see it do the same to whatever genre you want to consider Zelda). Finally there was absolutely no filler, it was a tight experience from start to finish. A really good example of doing a lot through clever design and assuming that the player has a functional brain.

The other games on there that I played really didn't deserve it IMO. I liked Infinite a lot, but that was more of a story and social commentary then a fun game, and not GOTY material at all. Brothers was more of a story then a game again, even though the dual brother mechanic was neat. Path of Exile could have easily won it, but the game does have a couple of major problems that bring it down overall. Dota 2 is a great game, but the community is an absolute joke and puts it out of the running IMO. Gone Home is more a social commentary then a game. I played GTA 5 for a few hours and I don't see the big deal, its OK, but nothing special unless you like just shooting dudes. Can't talk on AC4, TLOU, or 3D World unfortunately.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 Blabadon

@Animal-Mother said:

@Blabadon said:

Mhmmm they were absolute shit. Now instead of insulting your fellow posters stay on topic! :D

>shit

dontcha know

>insulting

will buy the tissues for next time Xaero and I joke around

>on topic

we are the topic

@Rage010101 said:

@Blabadon said:

@MonsieurX said:

Butthurt

Actually there was that annual flop of the year thread we always have and TLOU was voted the most. He's just stating what the majority agree with here on GS. I'm sure it's a good game, but it certainly was an epic level of flop here.

Lel, I'm kidding with Monsieur, don't worry about it.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By Animal-Mother

@DarkLink77 said:

Damn, this is a surprise, but it's a cool one. There were a ton of worthy games this year, though. All of the nominees could have walked away with it. The Last of Us, Bioshock Infinite, GTA V, Gone Home, Tomb Raider, and a ton more. One of the best years this gen, up there with 2010 (The GOAT) and 2007.

I guess I have to play ALBW now.

It's a great game. If you have a 3DS put the time in because it is rewarding and fun.

Xaero_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 Xaero_Gravity
Member since 2011 • 9856 Posts

How did I miss "true game design"? Gtfo Char, you pretentious poser. ;3

TREAL_Since

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 TREAL_Since

@mems_1224 said:

@jg4xchamp said:

will

Definitely. I kinda agree with it though. He thinks Nintendo doesn't deserve to have a GOTY game. I don't agree with that part at all. Abstract ideas give feeling, provoke thought, and can evolve you as in individual. Nintendo has done this for ages to great affect, for me.

Character studies that we find in GTA or Gone Home aren't the only way to provide a feeling, nor is it the only way help you relate to the world. But his general idea of games that evolve you, I have a similar beliefs. He just has a closed minded view on it though, lol.

Xaero_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 Xaero_Gravity
Member since 2011 • 9856 Posts

@Blabadon:

Come again? o: