Official GS GOTY 2013 - Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#101 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

@withe1982 said:

Gamespot playing it safe really. I get the impression this was probably everyone's second choice for GOTY so by a tally system it won the whole thing. I could be wrong though (it has been known).

Definitely TLOU for me but admittedly I've not played Zelda so for all I know it could be an amazing, emotional, generation defining experience.

If Gamespot was playing it safe.

They would have chosen The Last of Us or Grand Theft Auto.

Zelda was a ballsy move.

FragTycoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#102 FragTycoon
Member since 2008 • 6430 Posts

Deep down even sheep have to be like "wtf?" LOL! XD

Farming hits confirmed.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#103  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

I approve of the prime butthurt this is causing so far.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#104  Edited By yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Slightly surprised Zelda won, but seems like a worthy choice. I haven't finished the game yet, but what I've played of it has been pretty awesome.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#105 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

haha gamespot proving once again why gaming sites are such a joke, how can a handheld game be crowned goty. just looking for hits, probably mcsheas idea. move along people nothing to see here

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#106 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49584 Posts

Interesting pick, indeed. :)

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
@x1ps4life said:

This site is a joke

Oh the butthurt is going to be nice. A shame I can't be around today to enjoy it all.

This also seals my needing a 3DS. For Gamespot of all places to love a game more than GTAV, TLOU and all the other over-hyped things this year, that definitely suggests to me it's worth pushing myself to play.

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 Rage010101
Member since 2006 • 5470 Posts

@FragTycoon said:

Farming hits confirmed.

Why would they say such a thing if they know it's a good game worthy of GOTY?

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19598 Posts

@FragTycoon said:

Farming hits confirmed.

Actually, I suspect that most of the people surprised by this haven't actually played the game.

It really is a fantastic game. Probably the best 2D game in a series full of great 2D games.. I can't think of another game this year that had the same effect on me - I just wanted to crank up the music and play the hell out of it.

Legend500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 Legend500
Member since 2013 • 149 Posts

Pokemon X/Y should have won IMO. At least Bioshock or The Last of Us didn't win it though. Generic shooter games that have f*ck all fresh and exciting ideas.

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Rage010101

@ghostwarrior786 said:

haha gamespot proving once again why gaming sites are such a joke, how can a handheld game be crowned goty. just looking for hits, probably mcsheas idea. move along people nothing to see here

Maybe because it's a really good game? Me thinks butthurt has entered your system and has rendered you mind fucked.

It's funny that it's mostly cows who are in tears over A Link Between Worlds getting Goty. I for one applaud it's award, it's deserving of the title.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@Desmonic said:

@mems_1224 said:

lulz, TCHBO!

Least the cows had games to play this year!

TLHBO!

#combobreaker!

what games? they all flopped

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@ghostwarrior786 said:

hahahaha dat butthurt

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#115 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

@nini200 said:

LOL!!! System Wars meltdown initiated

Not really, the only "meltdown" we might see in droves are the "I'm glad TLOU didn't get goty cause it's overrated" or the "I'm glad GTA V didn't get goty cause it's overrated". Personally I was going for the TLOU, but I can see why they went with Zelda AlobW.

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 Rage010101

@Ballroompirate said:

@nini200 said:

Not really, the only "meltdown" we might see in droves are the "I'm glad TLOU didn't get goty cause it's overrated" or the "I'm glad GTA V didn't get goty cause it's overrated". Personally I was going for the TLOU, but I can see why they went with Zelda AlobW.

Actually there are already a few meltdowns in this thread already. Not surprisingly, they're all cows. LMFAO

TCHBFO

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By foxhound_fox

@Planeforger said:

Actually, I suspect that most of the people surprised by this haven't actually played the game.

That's usually how it is. I'm always lol'ing at people who think gaming sites make these kinds of decisions based on wanting more hits.

No, they choose these games because they think they best represent the year. Why did they pick Demon's Souls over so many other much-loved games that everyone wanted to win GOTY? Because they thought it was ground-breaking and best represented gaming for that year. A Link Between Worlds, I assume (since I haven't played it, but am going off what has been said) is a genre- and platform-defining experience.

The fact Gamespot chose a handheld game over so many other "full retail" console games, including those offered on "next-gen" systems, just shows how much they love good games and not just exist to hoist AAA gaming's nutsack every time they do something that gets extremely popular.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52451 Posts

Would've been funnier if 3D World won though.

ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 ghostwarrior786

@Rage010101 said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

Maybe because it's a really good game? Me thinks butthurt has entered your system and has rendered you mind fucked.

It's funny that it's mostly cows who are in tears over A Link Between Worlds getting Goty. I for one applaud it's award, it's deserving of the title.

im never said its a bad game. its prob a good handheld game but u cant compare it to console games they are on completely different level. even the biggest nintendo fan would admit mario world 3d world is better than that gameboy game

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

@Rage010101 said:

@zeeshanhaider said:

Da Faq? I'll glady take Ryse/Knack over this PoS.

That's very sad that you believe that. You're a poor excuse for a gamer. I would take Zelda: ALBW over any other 2013 console exclusive, since most of them were turds.

Console exclusives were turd, no doubt about that. But a freakin 54678432 iteration of a franchise that released in 1986 and that too on a handheld? I mean seriously? A fucking rehash on a fucking handheld in 2013?

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#121  Edited By Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

@Rage010101 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

@nini200 said:

Actually there are already a few meltdowns in this thread already. Not surprisingly, they're all cows. LMFAO

TCHBFO

Didn't notice lol, only read the first half of the first page.

killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 killzowned24
Member since 2007 • 7345 Posts

looks like crap and i imagine doesnt even have voices.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By foxhound_fox

@ghostwarrior786 said:

im never said its a bad game. its prob a good handheld game but u cant compare it to console games they are on completely different level. even the biggest nintendo fan would admit mario world 3d world is better than that gameboy game

This is the same dumb idea that DD indie games can't be "good" compared to "full retail" games. A good game is a good game, it's value comes from the fun it gives, not how much money you spend on it, or where you buy it from.

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Rage010101

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@Rage010101 said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

The way I look at it is, a good game is a good game. The faster you adopt that same logic, the quicker your butthurt will heal and the quicker you can escape from your tool mentality.

ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By ghostwarrior786

@foxhound_fox said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

This is the same dumb idea that DD indie games can't be "good" compared to "full retail" games. A good game is a good game, it's value comes from the fun it gives, not how much money you spend on it, or where you buy it from.

well they cant be, as good as indie games are they dont compare to the experience of a full on game. if your talking about fun lets put ios/android games in the mix then, do the full monty. u have to draw a line, what next? angry birds rehash 2014 goty? fu$kin joke

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 zeeshanhaider

@Rage010101 said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@Rage010101 said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

The way I look at it is, a good game is a good game. The faster you adopt that same logic, the quicker your butthurt will heal and the quicker you can escape from your tool mentality.

Sure, might as well include all the iPhone, iPad, Android games etc. Would be fun to see Angry Birds rehash # 23456 won GOTY 2014 over the likes of Witcher 3.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 GreySeal9

@Rage010101 said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@Rage010101 said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

lol

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#129 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
@GreySeal9 said:

I wanted to see Gone Home win just for the lulz, but I'm glad to see Zelda win.

I would have been really sad if Gone Home had won.

I can't really judge this Zelda game since I haven't played it but it looks really good and Zelda is by far one of the best game franchises (I'd probably say behind only Final Fantasy). I'm overall quite impressed by the 3ds game catalog actually.

HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#130  Edited By HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts

@ghostwarrior786 said:

Gameplay is all that really matters in the end. I don't see why it would be a big deal that a handheld game won over a console or PC game.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By GreySeal9

@chessmaster1989 said:
@GreySeal9 said:

I can't really judge this Zelda game since I haven't played it but it looks really good and Zelda is by far one of the best game franchises (I'd probably say behind only Final Fantasy). I'm overall quite impressed by the 3ds game catalog actually.

It's amazing how far the 3DS library has come since that really bad launch lineup.

Have you played Gone Home? It looks really unappealing to me, so I probably won't ever play it, but I'm curious if you have.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

@x1ps4life said:

@charizard1605 said:

@x1ps4life said:

@charizard1605 said:

@x1ps4life said:

@charizard1605 said:

@x1ps4life said:

@charizard1605 said:

@x1ps4life said:

@charizard1605 said:

@R3FURBISHED said:

@charizard1605 said:

@R3FURBISHED said:

.....Ok

I can't say I agree that a game like this is more deserving than GTA V (a game that does everything and does it all incredibly well) but whatever.

Maybe one day I'll decide its a worthwhile purchase for my 3DS.

It's the best game on the 3DS, the best handheld game ever made, the best Zelda game in 20 years, and the best game of this year. Honestly, I don't know what other recommendation you want.

Zelda to me is Ocarina of Time and A Link to the Past - both of which I played in the 90s and the only two I've ever played.

I haven't touched a Zelda game since the mid 90s

The lovely thing is, this game is the best of Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time. And then it takes the series forwards in multiple ways.

It's basically a true sequel to ALttP. It does that game and its legacy justice. Seriously, play it.

Btw you are an idiot if you want Zelda on Wii U to be an isometric (Top down game).

It would benefit much more from a 3rd person angle with good visuals

I don't? When did I ever say I want it to be isometric?

Read your first post in this thread you said.

You mention wanting the WIi U one to be just like this.

I meant in terms of structure and formula, of course. The new Zelda games move too slow, have pacing and padding issues, hours of tutorials, and adhere too strictly to the dungeon->item->boss formula. Link Between Worlds breaks all these problems, and refreshes the series. I want the Wii U Zelda to take cues from ALBW instead of reverting to the traditional Zelda formula.

I see, Zelda U will probably take some features from ALBW, the rental items seems like something that could affect a game like Zelda on a console.

In any case, they need to make sure it's paced right, without tutorials, and allows non linear progression. Item rentals was just a way to enable that, and if they find a different/better way to do it for Zelda U, then more power to them, as long as they maintain the non linear progression.

What is the best console Zelda ever?

Btw to avoid linear progression they could just allow dungeons to be done in any order and keep the game open world.

They can't do that, since dungeon progression requires items, which are found in dungeons. It's why they had the item rental system in this game in the first place.

I'm sure they could figure something better out. I have ideas how they could do it (mini dungeons that have items hidden that you can solve in any order- based on that, go ahead and finish the main dungeons in any order), or maybe they'll just keep and improve on the item rental system.

Best console Zelda? Wind Waker, IMO.

Is Skyward Sword good?

I beat WW and Twilight Princess

Is SS good? yes. Is it as good as all the other 3D Zelda's? No. Does it even really feel like Zelda? No.

OoT > MM > WW > TP > SS

I cannot wait to play ALBW. I hope it is as good as people say. And while I have not played it yet, I do think they should keep the dynamic progression in the WiiU one, but do it via a different way than renting items. I think finding them in the overworld would be a lot of fun personally. Overworld and/or mini-dungeons, like Charizard was saying. Might be cool to have items be themed to different species and their areas, and have dungeons be more ominous and less typically themed.

chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 chessmaster1989
@GreySeal9 said:

@chessmaster1989 said:
@GreySeal9 said:

It's amazing how far the 3DS library has come since that really bad launch lineup.

Have you played Gone Home? It looks really unappealing to me, so I probably won't ever play it, but I'm curious if you have.

Yes Gone Home is bad. I think the 2 minute speed runs of it are icing on the cake.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By GreySeal9

@chessmaster1989 said:
@GreySeal9 said:

@chessmaster1989 said:
@GreySeal9 said:

Yes Gone Home is bad. I think the 2 minute speed runs of it are icing on the cake.

What's bad about it?

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 Rage010101

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

well they cant be, as good as indie games are they dont compare to the experience of a full on game. if your talking about fun lets put ios/android games in the mix then, do the full monty. u have to draw a line, what next? angry birds rehash 2014 goty? fu$kin joke

You're totally losing your shit LMFAO

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Rage010101

@zeeshanhaider said:

@Rage010101 said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@Rage010101 said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

Sure, might as well include all the iPhone, iPad, Android games etc. Would be fun to see Angry Birds rehash # 23456 won GOTY 2014 over the likes of Witcher 3.

Ah, another cow totally losing his shit! LMFAO

chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 chessmaster1989
@GreySeal9 said:

@chessmaster1989 said:
@GreySeal9 said:

@chessmaster1989 said:
@GreySeal9 said:

What's bad about it?

Well I'll start with an unfair criticism because it probably is part of what causes me to dislike it, which is that the game is not at all what I expected it to be. But that aside...

First of all, the game had no actual gameplay, and honestly had no benefit from being in game form (over a book, graphic novel, or visual novel). This would be okay if the plot really shined, but in my opinion it doesn't. It's underdeveloped or off in several respects, and for a game centered clearly around a certain idea it does little to explore it in any new or particularly interesting way. Really it just feels like a bad Oscar bait movie.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#138  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13670 Posts

@Desmonic said:

@mems_1224 said:

lulz, TCHBO!

TLHBO!

#combobreaker!

Not on the PS4

*countercombo

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 zeeshanhaider

@Rage010101 said:

@zeeshanhaider said:

@Rage010101 said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@Rage010101 said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

Cow? I hate them. I'm a proud hermit. Try again.

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 Rage010101

@zeeshanhaider said:

@Rage010101 said:

@zeeshanhaider said:

@Rage010101 said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@Rage010101 said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

Cow? I hate them. I'm a proud hermit. Try again.

I'm of a higher caliber hermit, and as your superior I'm ordering you to get your shit together and start acting to the standard of Master Race! Give praise where its due, swallow your tool like pride, and applaud a worthy game for getting GOTY. You may hate cows, but you're acting exactly like the other cows that are butthurt as shit in this tread. Man dafuk up! A proud hermit is never brought to his knees. If you are as proud a hermit as you claim to be, stop acting like some mind fucked console kid and repent to lord Gaben! Now I want you to apologize to Zelda: ALBW, sit down, and kindly stfu!

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By Rage010101

Alot of you brogamers (seems like mostly cows in this thread) need to seriously stop putting your closed minded delusional ideals that only super industry AAA big publisher console games are worthy of playing and winning GOTY. You guys are tools who put such games on a pedestal after you've seen commercials for it dozens of times and agree with the heavily advertised brogamer gamestop posters. Get a clue you corporate slaves, a good game is a good game. You're so butthurt over a handheld game winning GOTY. You go as far as freak out and belittle indie games, when in my opinion, there are so many indie games I've played that are better than any console exclusive all of last gen. The problem with you guys is that you overhype yourselves and put these casual brogamer games on a golden pedestal, only to be let down when your games are utterly crushed by games you guys deem unworthy. You won't learn though, but at least you produce entertainment for me so that I can laugh at all the butthurt you guys create. Accept Zelda A Link Between Worlds as GOTY, or forever be mind fucked!

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23988 Posts

I am glad some Daughter sim crap like Bioshock: Infinte or TLOU didnt win it. Now that I think of it, I hope that Nintendo gets this praise into their heads and decides to take notes when designing Zelda U. I havent played the game yet, partially out of fear. I know is that A Link Between Worlds was so good it caused one of my classmates to start slacking royally until he beat the game and now he is still playing catch up and I dont want the same thing to happen me.

@foxhound_fox said:

Makes you wonder why people have that absurd idea anyways. This PC Goty choice proved it quite well too with Path of Exile winning PC GOTY and that is a Free to Play indie game.

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

lolhandhelds lolNintendonostalgia

limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 limpbizkit818
Member since 2004 • 15044 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:
@x1ps4life said:

This site is a joke

Oh the butthurt is going to be nice. A shame I can't be around today to enjoy it all.

This also seals my needing a 3DS. For Gamespot of all places to love a game more than GTAV, TLOU and all the other over-hyped things this year, that definitely suggests to me it's worth pushing myself to play.

I'm about halfway through it right now and it's a pretty awesome video game. There's never been a better time to buy a 3DS.

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 Rage010101

@Maroxad said:

I am glad some Daughter sim crap like Bioshock: Infinte or TLOU didnt win it. Now that I think of it, I hope that Nintendo gets this praise into their heads and decides to take notes when designing Zelda U. I havent played the game yet, partially out of fear. I know is that A Link Between Worlds was so good it caused one of my classmates to start slacking royally until he beat the game and now he is still playing catch up and I dont want the same thing to happen me.

@foxhound_fox said:

Makes you wonder why people have that absurd idea anyways. This PC Goty choice proved it quite well too with Path of Exile winning PC GOTY and that is a Free to Play indie game.

^ Wise words. I especially agree with the parts I underlined.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#147 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13670 Posts
@Desmonic said:

@HalcyonScarlet said:

@Desmonic said:

@mems_1224 said:

lulz, TCHBO!

TLHBO!

#combobreaker!

Not on the PS4

*countercombo

PS4 & X1 have barely been a month on the market though.

PS3 & 360 were the go to platforms for both factions for 95% of the year.

Therefore, TLHBO.

#c-c-c-combobreaker!

--

:P

lol :-)

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

Nice to be surprised. Excellent choice.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#149 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

Really good game, I don't know about GOTY though, but hey solid pick.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23988 Posts

@Rage010101: Thanks, the stuff you have said in this thread have been good as well. And while I am at it, Journey from last year winning all those GOTY awards proved so even further. Pure brilliance far outshines production values, my personal GOTY of last year was Kid Icarus: Uprising and my GOTY from 2010 was Mount&Blade: Warband a game I spent almost 700 hours playing. Both of those games had far lower production values than your average AAA game (Warband is the stand alone expansion pack of a game made by 2 people). I too am a hermit, with the primary reason for being a hermit is not those AAA games, but rather the brilliant indie and niche titles that come out for the PC platform.