Nintendo lashes back at Wii U power concerns

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

"Three comments," the combative Fils-Aime began. "First, it's not about power. If it was about power, then the GameCube would have been the number one system in its generation and the Wii wouldn't have been the number one system in this last generation. It is not about power. It is about fun, it is about the experience.

"Second. Our competitors can say what they want about some super long cycle, but let's see what their behaviours are.

"Thirdly, the way development works is that the longer developers work with a system, the better they can tune performance. Case in point: Look at the very first GameCube games, and compare them to a game like Resident Evil 4. It was graphically beautiful, and demonstrably more advanced than the first GameCube games.

"The same was true for Wii. A great example is Super Mario Galaxy 2. The graphics are just beautiful. And look at the motion control we were able to achieve in The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword."

He added: "The longer developers work on a system the more they tune it, the more they push the system, the more they learn tricks to really optimise performance. I share this because what you see here at E3 are games that represent a relatively short amount of development time. Imagine what we'll see two years from now when developers have been working with Wii U longer and learn how to push everything out of the system.

"Our competitors will do what they want. From our perspective, this is the right time to launch a new piece of hardware. And, the fun, the capabilities, and the experiences that we're offering today with a second screen are demonstrably better than what can be done today on other platforms."

Fils-Aime's comments tally with those of developers Eurogamer has spoken to anonymously ahead of the Wii U's launch. We've been told Wii U versions of multiplatform games will at best look as good as their PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 counterparts, but games built from the ground up for Wii U will show it to be graphically capable.

Meanwhile, Fils-Aime took issue with the suggestion that Nintendo lost its hardcore gaming audience with the casual-focused Wii U.
"You know, I really chafe at that comment," he said. "Define the hardcore. I know people who are playing Smash Bros. Brawl competitively today. They're playing hours on that game. People are playing hours on New Super Mario Bros.

"What I'll tell you is that with the Wii we did not have the benefit of multiplatform games from key publishers. I didn't have The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. I didn't have the best of the Call of Duty games. That's what I missed."

With the Wii U, he said, Nintendo will get multiplatform games from key publishers.
"With the Wii U's graphics capability, processing power, and HD-output, we'll get those games. That's a huge competitive advantage versus where we were with the Wii."

But how will Nintendo do this?
"Well, the proposition for a third-party publisher or independent developer is pretty simple," Fils-Aime explained. "We need to show them that the install base is there for them to sell a quantity of games that represents a profitable proposition.

"What we're sharing with these publishers and developers is how first-party games will drive an install base, and how, from a marketing standpoint, we'll reach the type of consumers that they want to create content for.

"Then we have to deliver on it. What will help us are games like Batman: Arkham City - Armored Edition, Assassin's Creed 3, Mass Effect 3 and Zombi U."Eurogamer

Fine, I agree. It's not just about the power, it's about the games. However, the Wii failed to deliver on its promise about the games. No one wpuld have minded the Wii being underpowered if it had delivered on the goods as far as games were concerned, but with pitiable third party support, and even Nintendo's own offerings weaker than usual, the Wii failed to justify its existence.

If with the Wii U, the output of games matches at least the N64 and Gamecube, and at best the HD twins (not happening), or Nintendo's very own handhelds, then yes, Fils-Aime and Nintendo will be vindicated, and the Wii U's power will not have been an issue at all. However, we will have to wait and see if this really happens.

SOURCE

crippled_ram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 crippled_ram
Member since 2010 • 1583 Posts
I just don't get it, Nintendo does so well with its handhelds... why can't it ever replicate that same success in the console market?
Shirokishi_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Shirokishi_
Member since 2009 • 11206 Posts

Fine, I agree. It's not just about the power, it's about the games. However, the Wii failed to deliver on its promise about the games. No one wpuld have minded the Wii being underpowered if it had delivered on the goods as far as games were concerned, but with pitiable third party support, and even Nintendo's own offerings weaker than usual, the Wii failed to justify its existence.

charizard1605

I dont know about others out there but despite the Wii not having the AAA multiplat titles it still had dozens of games that made me more than happy with my purchase. It was no PS2 but it was up there with the likes of the Gamecube. Anyone who says the Wii didnt have a decent lineup of quality games clearly didnt bother to search for any.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
damn, ur thread beat mine >:[
I just don't get it, Nintendo does so well with its handhelds... why can't it ever replicate that same success in the console market?crippled_ram
wouldnt the wii be THAT replication?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

[QUOTE="charizard1605"]

Shirokishi_

I dont know about others out there but despite the Wii not having the AAA multiplat titles it still had dozens of games that made me more than happy with my purchase. It was no PS2 but it was up there with the likes of the Gamecube. Anyone who says the Wii didnt have a decent lineup of quality games clearly didnt bother to search for any.

Except I did bother to research. The Wii was no Gamecube, or even N64. It had the poorest output of Nintendo titles ever, sans the Super Mario games. Six years after the system's launch, I can say that I would have bought that system for only five games, six maybe at best if I include Xenoblade. Yes, the games that were good on it were absolute gems, and I'm glad I got to play Super Mario Galaxy 2 or Donkey Kong Country Returns, but overall, I was greatly dissatisfied with my Wii purchase. Something I had never been with the Gamecube or the N64 (both of which I found great, btw).
ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

Use the sticky

crippled_ram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 crippled_ram
Member since 2010 • 1583 Posts
[QUOTE="campzor"]
I just don't get it, Nintendo does so well with its handhelds... why can't it ever replicate that same success in the console market?crippled_ram
wouldnt the wii be THAT replication?

Speaking from a games perspective, would you really argue that?
Tikeio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Tikeio
Member since 2011 • 5332 Posts

If it was about power, then the GameCube would have been the number one system in its generation

Eurogamer

If it was about power, the Xbox would have been number one. The Gamecube's awkward storage media and lack of DVD didn't help either.

What good would a tablet less Wii U have even been? Why would anyone have bought a marginally upgraded Xbox 360 in 2012 if it lacked its own unique hook?

With the its tablet design, at least the Wii U seems to be future proofed from a media standpoint.

charizard1605

I agree.

But the "unique hook" could have been beloved Nintendo franchises in HD. I mean, you can't get them anywhere else. :3

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 campzor

Use the sticky

ArchoNils2
u mean that dead thread which might as well be unstickied?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

If it was about power, the Xbox would have been number one. The Gamecube's awkward storage media and lack of DVD didn't help either.

But the "unique hook" could have been beloved Nintendo franchises in HD. I mean, you can't get them anywhere else. :3

Tikeio

That is pretty much what kept the Gamecube selling all that while, and kept Nintendo profitable in those years.

And then people want Nintendo to release its games for smartphones and go third party :P

Shirokishi_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Shirokishi_

[QUOTE="Shirokishi_"]

[QUOTE="charizard1605"]

charizard1605

Except I did bother to research. The Wii was no Gamecube, or even N64. It had the poorest output of Nintendo titles ever, sans the Super Mario games. Six years after the system's launch, I can say that I would have bought that system for only five games, six maybe at best if I include Xenoblade. Yes, the games that were good on it were absolute gems, and I'm glad I got to play Super Mario Galaxy 2 or Donkey Kong Country Returns, but overall, I was greatly dissatisfied with my Wii purchase. Something I had never been with the Gamecube or the N64 (both of which I found great, btw).

Your dissatisfaction of the Wii =/= The Wii had a bad lineup of games.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#12 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41535 Posts

[QUOTE="charizard1605"]

Shirokishi_

I agree. The Wii is probably my least favorite Nintendo system, but it was still a good system with a lot of good games if you know where too look. For Nintendo, it's been happening since the N64.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="Shirokishi_"]

Shirokishi_

Okay, let's go about this a different way. Would you agree the Wii had the worst lineup for any Nintendo console ever?
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts
First paragraph annoyed the hell out me, power is important when creating the experience. Couldn't stand to read anymore. The gamecube's problem wasn't power dumbass.
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 nintendoboy16
[QUOTE="Shirokishi_"]

[QUOTE="charizard1605"] Except I did bother to research. The Wii was no Gamecube, or even N64. It had the poorest output of Nintendo titles ever, sans the Super Mario games. Six years after the system's launch, I can say that I would have bought that system for only five games, six maybe at best if I include Xenoblade. Yes, the games that were good on it were absolute gems, and I'm glad I got to play Super Mario Galaxy 2 or Donkey Kong Country Returns, but overall, I was greatly dissatisfied with my Wii purchase. Something I had never been with the Gamecube or the N64 (both of which I found great, btw).charizard1605

Okay, let's go about this a different way. Would you agree the Wii had the worst lineup for any Nintendo console ever?

I think N64 and GameCube had it worse in the critical reception department.
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 tomarlyn
Your dissatisfaction of the Wii =/= The Wii had a bad lineup of games.nintendoboy16

And you would be insane
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 nintendoboy16
First paragraph annoyed the hell out me, power is important when creating the experience. Couldn't stand to read anymore. The gamecube's problem wasn't power dumbass.tomarlyn
That's not what he meant.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Your dissatisfaction of the Wii =/= The Wii had a bad lineup of games.nintendoboy16

Not really. Look at how fondly the Gamecube and N64 are remembered. That won't happen for the Wii. And in any case, that is not the question I asked.
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 tomarlyn
[QUOTE="tomarlyn"]First paragraph annoyed the hell out me, power is important when creating the experience. Couldn't stand to read anymore. The gamecube's problem wasn't power dumbass.nintendoboy16
That's not what he meant.

Stop being so protective
Shirokishi_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Shirokishi_

[QUOTE="Shirokishi_"]

[QUOTE="charizard1605"] Except I did bother to research. The Wii was no Gamecube, or even N64. It had the poorest output of Nintendo titles ever, sans the Super Mario games. Six years after the system's launch, I can say that I would have bought that system for only five games, six maybe at best if I include Xenoblade. Yes, the games that were good on it were absolute gems, and I'm glad I got to play Super Mario Galaxy 2 or Donkey Kong Country Returns, but overall, I was greatly dissatisfied with my Wii purchase. Something I had never been with the Gamecube or the N64 (both of which I found great, btw).charizard1605

Not by much but yes.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 nintendoboy16
[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="nintendoboy16"][QUOTE="charizard1605"] Okay, let's go about this a different way. Would you agree the Wii had the worst lineup for any Nintendo console ever?

Not really. Look at how fondly the Gamecube and N64 are remembered. That won't happen for the Wii. And in any case, that is not the question I asked.

Oh yeah, GameCube is fondly remembered NOW, when it was the most hated system of it's gen. :roll:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Not by much but yes.

Shirokishi_
Fine. That's the only definition I am using for 'failing to justify its existence.' I mean, I can only speak from my own experience, after all... [QUOTE="nintendoboy16"] Oh yeah, GameCube is fondly remembered NOW, when it was the most hated system of it's gen. :roll:

It was no more hated than the Xbox. The absolute PS2 domination of that gen meant that any other console would face widespread resistance. The Xbox was just as 'hated' as the Gamecube was. As for the N64, that system was never hated, it was always the 'cool' console that people bought for all the multiplayer action.
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44071 Posts

Whatever the powah :twisted: the N IP's will be there so me thinks the important thing is that the asking price match the powah being offered.

Me know likes to feel ripped off. :o :P

runbleduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 runbleduck
Member since 2008 • 578 Posts
This spin further validates the fact that WiiU will be severally underpowered. Pathetic that a $300+ system released in 2012 is less powerful than the system released in 2005. Also pretty telling in Reggie's damage control is the undertone admission that they barely have any third party support (support will come once WiiU obtain more marketshare? LOL. The Wii already invalidated that). Just how bad is WiiU's third party support? Hint, even the gamecube and Wii had much more third party support.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
This spin further validates the fact that WiiU will be severally underpowered. Pathetic that a $300+ system released in 2012 is less powerful than the system released in 2005. Also pretty telling in Reggie's damage control is the undertone admission that they barely have any third party support (support will come once WiiU obtain more marketshare? LOL. The Wii already invalidated that). Just how bad is WiiU's third party support? Hint, even the gamecube and Wii had much more third party support. runbleduck
Are you an idiot? IT SAYS IN THE ARTICLE ITSELF THAT IT'S MORE POWERFUL THAN THE HD TWINS BUT NOT BY MUCH. Seriously, you're like the Wii U's own phonemug, out on a crusade against it for God knows what reason.
JohnnyCageMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 JohnnyCageMK
Member since 2012 • 4365 Posts
So when is Nintendo gonna drop the bomb?
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#28 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

[QUOTE="Shirokishi_"]

[QUOTE="charizard1605"]

charizard1605

I agree with Shiro. Just because you didn't like the niche games the Wii had, don't sit there and act like there weren't good titles for the system outside of first party. We've been over this before.

I'm freaking tired of people complaining about "power" and "graphics" and wanting Nintendo to do exactly like Sony and Microsoft did this gen. If that's what you want, just stick with those companies or go to PC gaming and stop worrying about what Nintendo does differently.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#29 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

[QUOTE="charizard1605"]

Shirokishi_

agreed. Many here claim to not, but I bet in the case of the Wii they just look at a score and decide it sucks. SS was much better than a 7.5, Madworld, Conduit, imo, were better than their scores represented. I enjoyed the time I had with them among others.
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 nintendoboy16

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"] Oh yeah, GameCube is fondly remembered NOW, when it was the most hated system of it's gen. :roll:charizard1605
It was no more hated than the Xbox. The absolute PS2 domination of that gen meant that any other console would face widespread resistance. The Xbox was just as 'hated' as the Gamecube was. As for the N64, that system was never hated, it was always the 'cool' console that people bought for all the multiplayer action.

Common complaints for the GameCube and why it was so hated compared to PS2/XBOX:

-Not a "mature" gamers console (even though the Resident Evil series did very well on it, outselling even Nintendo's own Eternal Darkness, it just didn't have support from Rockstar Games outside of Smuggler's Run), all for kids.

-The control scheme (despite the GameCube controller getting praise now, mainly for Smash, other games, not so much)

-No DVD support, has the mini-disc

-Weaker graphics than PS2/XBOX (which only half of that is a lie, though some GC games did look worse than PS2 games. Like Eternal Darkness from 2002 looked worse than Onimusha: Warlords from 2001, yes ED used to be an N64 game, but that's no excuse considering Onimusha was a PSOne game).

-Worst versions of most multiplats (though Soul Calibur II gets defended based on the guest star gimmick alone, not to mention, the Sonic games post-Dreamcast ports, no matter how bad they got were best played on there as PS2 got the worst versions), even if the games get ported from GameCube (RE4, Viewtiful Joe)

What am I missing here?

And when did I bring up the hated factor of the N64 again?

Tikeio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Tikeio
Member since 2011 • 5332 Posts

So when is Nintendo gonna drop the bomb?JohnnyCageMK

leadok.jpg

The bomb squad is all set. Won't be long now...

runbleduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 runbleduck
Member since 2008 • 578 Posts
[QUOTE="runbleduck"]This spin further validates the fact that WiiU will be severally underpowered. Pathetic that a $300+ system released in 2012 is less powerful than the system released in 2005. Also pretty telling in Reggie's damage control is the undertone admission that they barely have any third party support (support will come once WiiU obtain more marketshare? LOL. The Wii already invalidated that). Just how bad is WiiU's third party support? Hint, even the gamecube and Wii had much more third party support. charizard1605
Are you an idiot? IT SAYS IN THE ARTICLE ITSELF THAT IT'S MORE POWERFUL THAN THE HD TWINS BUT NOT BY MUCH. Seriously, you're like the Wii U's own phonemug, out on a crusade against it for God knows what reason.

lol no. Typical from a fanboy still in denial. Mutiplatform games looks worse on the WiiU than 360/ps3, and the article even stated so by that multiplatform games will look comparable to ps3/360 games "at best". And we all know how ugly games built from the ground up on the WiiU looks so far - pikmin 3, nintendoland, zombiU, all gamecube level at best. Let's also not forget that Nintendo lied about Wii's graphic capability by saying its graphic will make you "say wow" (in a good way, but in reality it was the opposit).
vtbob88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 vtbob88
Member since 2007 • 638 Posts

I would say that overall I am a little more pleased with Nintendos games on the Wii than I was previous generations. I'm not necessarily saying I think it was there best system, I am pretty partial to the gamecube. However, The fact that we had 2 great 3D mario games, 2 zelda games (I really enjoyed both of them), 2 metroid (i know other M was not that great but it still happened), a return of donkey kong country, multiple fun (if simple) kirby games, an enjoyable mario kart, xenoblade chronicles, a fun 2d mario, my favorite (so far) wario ware game, wario land shake it, and along with some great downloadable games.

I look at the amount of quality first party titles and, to me at least, I feel like there are more than there was for their previous consoles.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts

I really don't care that Nintendo's console is underpowered. I am just mad no Retro Studios, Zelda or Metroid, no Star fox even, no F-Zero.... WTF... throw us a bone!

A 2D Mario when Paper Mario and NSBM2 is coming out is not a big deal, a 3D Mario would be huge, where was Mario Universe? So many things missed. The power is disappointing, but as the current gen still continues it won't be a problem.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

I really don't care that Nintendo's console is underpowered. I am just mad no Retro Studios, Zelda or Metroid, no Star fox even, no F-Zero.... WTF... throw us a bone!

A 2D Mario when Paper Mario and NSBM2 is coming out is not a big deal, a 3D Mario would be huge, where was Mario Universe? So many things missed. The power is disappointing, but as the current gen still continues it won't be a problem.

SaltyMeatballs
Nintendo's Wii U unveil is the biggest botch of a disaster in recent gaming history, which is a shame since the console itself appears to be solid enough
CajunShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 CajunShooter
Member since 2006 • 5276 Posts
The only problem with the Wii was that it misses out on 95% of the best multiplats from this generation. An underpowered Wii U means it is getting set up to miss all the best multiplats on the PS4/720 next gen.
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
[QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"]

charizard1605
Nintendo's Wii U unveil is the biggest botch of a disaster in recent gaming history, which is a shame since the console itself appears to be solid enough

Indeed. And we know SOMEthing has to come out next year for it, so why couldn't they just mention something? That is what disappoints me the most because it's a system for everyone (for U) supposedly, but it was casual focussed as usual (as good as Pikmin 3 and Mario will be).
Avatar image for Messiahbolical-
Messiahbolical-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Messiahbolical-
Member since 2009 • 5670 Posts
wouldnt the wii be THAT replication?campzor
lolwut? Are you really going to argue that the Wii got the kind of 3rd party support as Nintendo's handhelds do? :?
Eponique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#39 Eponique
Member since 2007 • 17918 Posts
It's okay guys. The Wii U has an exclusive Kamiya game. This generation is over before it started.
VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40 VanDammFan
Member since 2009 • 4783 Posts

[QUOTE="Shirokishi_"]

Not by much but yes.

charizard1605

Fine. That's the only definition I am using for 'failing to justify its existence.' I mean, I can only speak from my own experience, after all...
Oh yeah, GameCube is fondly remembered NOW, when it was the most hated system of it's gen. :roll:nintendoboy16

not hardly bro....Halo,Fable,Star Wars Battlefront,Munches Oddworld,Morrowind,the best versions of SplinterCell,Ghost Recon Island Thunder,Star Wars Knights of The Old Republic,Nija Gaiden,R63,Project Gothem Racing,Forza...SO....Xbox was far from hated. It came out in 2nd place last gen for most people.

What did the GC have?? AND Im not hating..I have all the consoles and support them all..BUT GC sucked pretty much the whole gen.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts
Handheld gaming is a very different market that demands very different games. Most people (Sony included) fail to realize this.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#42 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts
The Wii and it's games where and are so underwhelming, I wont buy another Nintendo console for a long, long time.
PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts
[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="runbleduck"]This spin further validates the fact that WiiU will be severally underpowered. Pathetic that a $300+ system released in 2012 is less powerful than the system released in 2005. Also pretty telling in Reggie's damage control is the undertone admission that they barely have any third party support (support will come once WiiU obtain more marketshare? LOL. The Wii already invalidated that). Just how bad is WiiU's third party support? Hint, even the gamecube and Wii had much more third party support. runbleduck

lol no. Typical from a fanboy still in denial. Mutiplatform games looks worse on the WiiU than 360/ps3, and the article even stated so by that multiplatform games will look comparable to ps3/360 games "at best". And we all know how ugly games built from the ground up on the WiiU looks so far - pikmin 3, nintendoland, zombiU, all gamecube level at best. Let's also not forget that Nintendo lied about Wii's graphic capability by saying its graphic will make you "say wow" (in a good way, but in reality it was the opposit).

I can appreciate a good troll, but this guy needs to spend some more time practicing under the bridge. This is just horrible.
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

I think Nintendo wants me to hate them :(

Reading the article on IGN about how they spend a lot on the pad controller and they sacrificed power to do so, makes me so angry. While the controller is cool, I have yet to see anything about it that makes me happy it is part of the system rather than modern tech.

rockydog1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#45 rockydog1111
Member since 2006 • 2079 Posts

I personally think the Wii had the worst lineup of Nintendo Consoles. It has some fun games like Little King Story, but the games just didn't pull me in like the NES, SNES, N64, or GC. It was by no means an awful system, it was just not really the system I came to expect from Nintendo. Hopefully they can redeem theirselves with the WiiU because I do believe that gaming is about more than graphics, but I don't like gimmicks either. We will see haw the tablet is utilized.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#46 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts
[QUOTE="crippled_ram"]I just don't get it, Nintendo does so well with its handhelds... why can't it ever replicate that same success in the console market?PurpleMan5000
Handheld gaming is a very different market that demands very different games. Most people (Sony included) fail to realize this.

Meh it's also because there are (or were) fewer handheld competitors and more 3rd party support. With consoles the costs are so high everything has to be multiplat.
WarTornRuston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 WarTornRuston
Member since 2011 • 2712 Posts

Every year Reggie becomes a bigger dick than the last.

There is a reason Nintendo have had to answer so many questions over the last week. And Nintendo knows this because they have acted like they have been in panic mode for the last month. Nintendo do not seem so confident anymore after the 3DS launch. They do not have a good line-up for Wii and they have admitted that, they have already said they cannot compete with online and Pikmin does not even support it, and seeing Reggie say Batman AC is a completely different game and worth $60 on Spike TV was sad. Not even Nintendo's charm works on the press anymore.

I personally can't wait to see the few 3rd party devs jump ship when the 720 and PS3 gets revealed.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 campzor
[QUOTE="campzor"]wouldnt the wii be THAT replication?Messiahbolical-
lolwut? Are you really going to argue that the Wii got the kind of 3rd party support as Nintendo's handhelds do? :?

no i was talking more about the hardware getting handheld type sales
Eponique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#49 Eponique
Member since 2007 • 17918 Posts
[QUOTE="campzor"] no i was talking more about the hardware getting handheld type sales

95 million is kind of far away from 150 million >_>
StealthSting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 StealthSting
Member since 2006 • 6915 Posts

In all sincerity. Blah blah blah...

Yes it's about the experince not power. Yes you can make significant experiences with short power. That doesn't change the fact that this in some way hinders the developers creative freedom to create a product.

And really, we've heard all of this before from Nintendo. Some of it every single gen.

Yes the experience matters more, but what exactly did happen last gen? You bring a technology forward that only came into fruition by Nintendo because of Skyward Sword--Metroid Prime 3 being an exception. How long did that last?

Nintendo can backlash all they want, but if they want to make a sound argument for their case, give us the goods, don't talk about it--like they always do.